Video: Thanking God at the Oscars?

posted at 12:01 pm on March 3, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

We see this a lot at sporting events, but not a lot of it from the entertainment industry. When someone from Hollywood gets up and thanks God, especially at the Oscars, it makes headlines … which says volumes about Hollywood and the media.

What’s most interesting about this heartfelt gratitude towards God is the reaction it gets from the Academy audience, or more accurately, the lack thereof:

In accepting the best actor Oscar for his role as Ron Woodroof in “Dallas Buyer’s Club” on Sunday, McConaughey, 44, said he needs three things in his life to survive: God, family and someone to look up to as a hero. …

After thanking God, his wife and children, his mother and his late father, he offered up something else long-time fans have been waiting to hear this Oscar season: “All right, all right, all right.”

And that’s what “brought the house down,” as CBS reports. At least they didn’t boo God, which means that Hollywood is still a little ahead of the Democratic Party’s 2012 convention performance. Kudos to McConaughey for his speech, but I’m a little mystified at the attention it’s getting. Has no recent Oscar winner mentioned God in an acceptance speech? I haven’t watched the show in years, but I find it a little difficult to believe that it’s that rare.

Update: Via Twitchy, one MTV host even noticed the stunned reaction:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Midas on March 3, 2014 at 3:07 PM

You’re so shy. Come on, out with it!

DrMagnolias on March 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM

But when the black woman sang about God in her thank you speech (“I sing because You are with me,” or something), she got a standing ovation.

What’s up with that?

LASue on March 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Because they know it’s probably just a social thing and it’s safe not to take it too seriously.

See also: Jeremiah Wright, gay marriage, “my brothers keeper”, etc.

rogerb on March 3, 2014 at 3:47 PM

I knew I liked this actor, even though I never saw the movie and don’t intend to. Good on him for speaking from his heart.

Smart Blonde on March 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I haven’t thought much about him, but now I may change my mind. Good for him, but he won’t be winning another one.

HiJack on March 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Best picture-12 years as a Slave, starring Michelle Obama.
Oh wait, that’s who was originally supposed to star in it….

ToddPA on March 3, 2014 at 3:07 PM

what? how is that even supposed to operate as a joke?

brushingmyhair on March 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I had the best Oscars ever. Enjoyed a beer with a buddy in a sports bar. No Oscars were to be seen.

Krupnikas on March 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

what? how is that even supposed to operate as a joke?

brushingmyhair on March 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM

You may want to research some of her Quotes while on
the campaign trail back in 2008…then again, maybe you
desire to remain Ignorant of who these people are…

ToddPA on March 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM

You may want to research some of her Quotes while on
the campaign trail back in 2008…then again, maybe you
desire to remain Ignorant of who these people are…

ToddPA on March 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM

thats not a good explanation

brushingmyhair on March 3, 2014 at 4:27 PM

It may be the new Texan in me, but I was equally impressed with the kind and gentlemanly way he handled co-presenting with Kim Novak. He referred to her throughout, very respectfully, as “ma’am” and gently helped her out when she seemed confused by what she was supposed to say.

Love Texas!!!

LASue on March 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM

He will never get another award from them again!

Dollayo on March 3, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Like being proud our country and supporting the troops, the left only pretends to have faith.

Blacksheep on March 3, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Blacksheep on March 3, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Totally ignored in last night’s Oscars “In Memoriam” tribute, which honored those in the industry who died in 2013, was an actor who served as a US Marine in World War II.

Jonathan Winters.

Del Dolemonte on March 3, 2014 at 5:57 PM

What’s up with that?

LASue on March 3, 2014 at 12:40 PM

She’s black, so liberals naturally assume she’s susceptible to superstition, aka religion.

hawksruleva on March 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Love Texas!!!

LASue on March 3, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Agreed. He’s always struck me as an old-school Hollywood star. He realizes what a special priveledge he has to do what he loves and get paid well for it, and doesn’t lose site of the fact that he’s not BETTER than the rest of us, he’s just more fortunate.

hawksruleva on March 3, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Thanks to xblade for the info.

Aren’t they weekend posts?

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM

I could’ve sworn I usually see them usually on Mondays, at some point. I guess I’ll check back every so often tonight to see if one shows up.

TigerPaw on March 3, 2014 at 7:12 PM

So what. People thank God all the time, yet live their lives Godless.

Hate to break it to some of you, many who are Conservatives who claim to be religious, but being a nice guy and saying you believe in God does not get you into heaven. You think you can sin all week, then go to mass once and a while and repent only to continue the same and everythings fine…. That isnt how it works.

Matthew seems like a nice guy. But you cant go acting in a show like True Detective, cursing and this and that and really believe you’re close to God.

Some religious people think they can read, watch, act filth just like non-believers, and as long as they believe they are a good person and believe in God they’re a shoo-in to get in heaven. Youll be in a for a rude awakening if you think that is how it works.

bucsox79 on March 4, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Yes, because God really, really wants you to have your shiny, golden Oscar…er, calf…idol? Never mind.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM

So Hollywood big wigs aren’t particularly religious.

Big whoop.