Second look at Rubio 2016?

posted at 3:21 pm on March 3, 2014 by Allahpundit

I knew this was coming. No, really, I did.

A contingent on the right will never forgive him for backing a bill offering a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, and his critics say he jettisoned the plan strictly to preserve his political standing. But in interviews with numerous GOP leaders and influential conservative activists in early primary states, his new push seems to have won over one-time skeptics who are now more open to a prospective Rubio candidacy…

“I’m sure there are people who are unhappy with what I did on immigration and will never be supportive of me again,” Rubio said in an interview in the Capitol last week. “But by and large, I think if you look at my approval ratings in different metrics that are out there, I feel like many of my supporters maybe disagreed with me on immigration — and disagreed strongly — but they understand that I’ve been involved in other issues that are important for the country.”…

Last week, Rubio got rave reviews from Rush Limbaugh and Iowa activists when the son of Cuban immigrants blasted the Hawkeye State’s veteran Democratic senator, Tom Harkin, in a floor speech over Cuba and Venezuela. Rubio has methodically tried to burnish his foreign policy credentials to carve out a middle ground between the GOP hawks and libertarians in his party, while recently making high-profile swings through Asia and Europe.

In a series of speeches in Washington and in Florida, Rubio is piecing together a domestic policy platform, rolling out proposals to overhaul higher education, such as by allowing the transfer of accredited online courses to traditional colleges, and provide a conservative alternative to President Lyndon B. Johnson’s War on Poverty, including a new proposal to implement the earned income tax credit.

Conn Carroll, who maintained his admiration for Rubio even while railing against his amnesty efforts, also thinks it might be time for a second round of Marcomania. The timing for it is perfect: Christie’s faded, Rand Paul’s lying low while foreign policy issues flare up, and Jeb Bush and Scott Walker haven’t tipped their hands yet. It’s only Rubio and Cruz who’ve been in the news lately, and much of Cruz’s coverage is devoted to his battles with Senate colleagues. For the moment, Rubio has the spotlight largely to himself. I told you last summer, even as the backlash to the Gang of Eight bill was raging, that he wasn’t finished as a presidential candidate. For one basic reason: With the possible exception of Cruz, there’s not a single likely Republican nominee who’s appreciably better on immigration than Rubio is. (Read this old post from Mickey Kaus to see why Cruz is only “possibly” better.) You can and should hold it against Rubio that he was decetiful on immigration as a candidate, but I think it’s goofy to believe he’d cave any more comprehensively on the issue as president than Bush or Walker would. In fact, if you’re trying to talk yourself into giving him a second chance, there’s an argument to be made that he’d be marginally better on amnesty than some of his rivals at this point precisely because he took such a beating for it last year. One sellout can be forgiven as a mistake, especially if the House ends up doing nothing on immigration. A second sellout as president would be an irredeemable betrayal.

Needless to say, the weaker Obama seems on foreign policy over the next two years, the more hawks like Rubio will benefit during the primary campaign. It’s an open question to me how much of the new respect for Paul-style non-interventionism expressed by grassroots conservatives over the past few years is based on its merits as an ideology versus how much is simply a reaction to Obama’s interventionist blunders. O escalated in Afghanistan and got a few more years of bloody stalemate and aggravation from Karzai for his trouble. He escalated in Libya and ended up with a murdered ambassador and thousands of weapons from Qaddafi’s arsenal going loose. He wanted to escalate in Syria but eventually backed out once he realized that virtually no one in either party wanted to roll the dice on that one. All of that was good for Paul, who could cite it as further proof that interfering abroad almost always means grief and regret. But the Syria debacle may have been a pyrrhic victory for non-interventionists: By letting a character as loathsome as Putin bail him out with a face-saving disarmament deal, O looked weak, which antagonized hawks. Now he looks weak again, unfairly in the sense that his options are no better than Bush’s were vis-a-vis Georgia in 2008 but even rhetorically with lame spin about “uncontested arrivals” and “lines” that no one takes seriously anymore. The more hapless he seems over the next two years, the more convincing Rubio will sound when warning tea partiers that America needs a hawk as C-in-C, not a non-interventionist. That’s one of the big mysteries that the next primary election will solve: Is the GOP truly trending more dovish or is it simply reliably anti-Obama, irrespective of whether O’s leaning hawkish or dovish at a given moment? Rubio’s going to argue that Afghanistan, Libya, and Syria would have been successful with a more competent interventionist giving the orders. If GOP voters agree, that’s a stark repudiation of Paul’s call for a more “modest” foreign policy.

Either way, I’m looking forward to Paul’s inevitable zinger that if the party wants a guy who supports amnesty and dreams of intervening in every international mess on the map, they might as well nominate McCain again instead of Rubio. Exit question: If Walker and Rubio both run, who wins? I imagine them as competing for the same niche between the loud-and-proud centrists like Bush and Christie and the stalwart tea partiers like Paul and Cruz. Walker has the edge because he’s a governor and of course because of his glorious union-busting victory in Wisconsin, no?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

TennesseeTuxedo on March 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Just where in TN might you be…

ladyingray on March 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM

I’m sorry, I don’t speak fake. Can you say that in real.

In other words. I’m not sorry, and enough people will get over it to help my career.

Dongemaharu on March 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM

“Polarizing” = “Honest”.

ncjetsfan on March 3, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Yeah, honesty is in pretty short supply with the Congressional GOP leadership. They cave on Obamacare and Mitch McConnnell gets a multi-million dollar dam project. They cave on debt ceiling and it is all about keeping the focus on defunding Obamacare. They can’t even be honest about wanting to give universal no-strings-attached amnesty by issuing a set of “principles” that are utterly meaningless because the top principle (securing the border) isn’t a serious desire by the surrender weasels.

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM

From where I stand, in the context of his craven lying and political machinations on amnesty, his takedown of Harkin is simply more of the same, and not to be considered a basis for a ‘second look’.

Rubio – when you’ve spent some *years* actually *doing* conservative things, you may warrant a second look. An instance or two of more *words* from you, frankly, is meaningless – and your expressed hope that we’d see it as more than that is an *insult*.

F*ck off and call me in a few years after you’ve worked tirelessly and visibly to repeal Obamacare, worked against amnesty and for border security, when you’re on the record and *working* to impeach and punish Obama and his coterie of traitors, etc.

Midas on March 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Any ideas?
davidk on March 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I suspect it’s an “input select” type of thing; your cable was probably connected to something like ‘Video 1′ or ‘Aux 1′, and you’re still pointing there.

You’ll have to use the tv remote or on-screen menu (maybe there’s an input select button on the side of the tv, where you’d manually change the volume, channels, etc). I think sometimes it’s even part of the channel select – like you change the channel down like you’re looking for channel 1, channel 0, then below that, before it rolls over and shows you the large channel numbers, sometimes you get into different aux input settings…

Midas on March 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I got it. I pushed enough buttons ’til it worked. It is difficult with ADD and you can’t remember what the last button was that you pushed.

Thanks for the input.

davidk on March 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Any ideas?
davidk on March 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Wrong place to post this. Call your service provider, don’t post on a politics blog with the question.

blueballs on March 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

…remember this post!….OK?

KOOLAID2 on March 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM

No, because…

He blatantly lied. He cant be trusted.

Blake on March 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM

jnelchef on March 3, 2014 at 4:14 PM

OT shamelessly ripped from zh

The Haves…

*FERRARI POSTS RECORD SALES IN U.S. AND U.K. IN 2013
*MASERATI GLOBAL SALES MORE THAN DOUBLE IN JAN
*PORSCHE REPORTS RECORD FEB. SALES (UP 15%)
*MERCEDES REPORS HIGHEST JAN SALES IN HISTORY
*LAMBORGHINI SEES 2014 HURACAN DELIVERIES EXCEEDING 1,800

And The Have-Nots…

*FORD FEB U.S. LIGHT-VEHICLE SALES FALL 6.1%
*GM FEBRUARY U.S. SALES FALL 1%
*TOYOTA U.S. FEB SALES DOWN 4.3%
*VOLKSWAGEN OF AMERICA FEB. VEHICLE SALES DOWN 13.8%
*HONDA FEB. U.S. VEHICLE SALES FELL 7%

Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

Thinks it “might be time”? What is this? Bark, roll over, play dead, and enthusiastically support, all on command?

Stoic Patriot on March 3, 2014 at 4:15 PM

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating.

NO FIRST TERM (OR MAYBE ANY TERM) SENATORS FOR PRESIDENT.

I don’t care how much we may like their ideology, they’ve almost always proven to be failures.

ZeusGoose on March 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

The thing you cannot deny is Palin has been on the right side of every issue over the last 5 years

ConservativePartyNow on March 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Absolutely but no number of “told you so” moments is going to change perceptions. And her “told you so” cred is impressive. But then, so was Romney’s discussion about Russia which the rat-eared bastard mocked as “the 1980s called, they want their foreign policy back.”

In short, being on the right side of every issue doesn’t matter in an age of LIVs who tend to focus on greater entitlement programs for the parasites and more “rights” for the gays, women, and illegals. There is no room for being right for stuff concerning Obamacare and foreign policy.

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Walker and Rubio might make for an intriguing team. And the “burn me once…” attitude they’d be swimming against could very well make for an interesting “outside-the-box” approach in the White House, should they make it that far.

Full-blown amnesty is a non-starter to me. And the complexities of the overarching problem don’t make for an easy solution. But if they play it right, they could bring about a comprehensive solution (and there definitely needs to be something done with our immigration policy; I’ve had to deal with it on several occasions over the last decade–it sucks, to put it mildly) to immigration and include an enforceable border policy.

And they could actually use it as a cover for gutting Foggy Bottom and rebuilding the State Department to better represent our interests, rather than everyone else’s.

That’d be a big win in more ways than one.

nukemhill on March 3, 2014 at 4:19 PM

And don’t forget that Paul Ryan refers to illegal aliens as “exploited Americans.”

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Um, are you kidding me? bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

No. But then I don’t expect my politicians to agree with me 100%. And I’ve said many times, Rubio has to do serious penance before I’d vote for him.
He said the right thing to Harkin. But I want to see him fight the fight, not just talk a good game. Which so far is all he has done. When he stands with Cruz to stop O-Care, shutdown the government, or stop the debt ceiling, then he’ll have started on his path to redemption. But he made it a long hard path.
Libs always reward those who come to their side on issues, and we should do the same.

Iblis on March 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM

No on Rubio. Not once, not twice, not just three times.

I’ll take a look at Rand Paul. Thankfully he is a little less wacky than his father. I’ll take a look at Cruz – he’s a wacko-bird for all of the right reasons. I think these would be the top two, but it is a long way away.

It would be great to hear some front runners talk about thinks like the Constitution. And how it has been put in jeopardy.

I’d listen for about 30 seconds to Jindal. I’d give Walker 15 seconds but he’d better make it good. Bush – hell no H.W. and W. did their time and no more from the family please. Huckabee – hell no. Martinez – my Governor – hell no.

Just like the smell of death on a “jeepers creepers” victim, if I smell establishment on any candidate, it’s over.

Scarborough? Hahhahhaaahhahhahhahahahahhahaha.

oldroy on March 3, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Any ideas?
davidk on March 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

blueballs on March 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

…remember this post!….OK?

KOOLAID2 on March 3, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Yeah, it’s a bit hypocritical.

davidk on March 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating.
NO FIRST TERM (OR MAYBE ANY TERM) SENATORS FOR PRESIDENT.

ZeusGoose on March 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Are you the commenter Jake-the-Goose who always makes the same comment about wanting a governor, even if the governor is pro-amnesty? I thought having multiple accounts wasn’t allowed here.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM

NO FIRST TERM (OR MAYBE ANY TERM) SENATORS FOR PRESIDENT.

ZeusGoose on March 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

I’m not a big fan of drawing Presidents from the Senate. It has not usually worked out well (including JFK and LBJ).

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM

including a new proposal to implement the earned income amnesty tax credit.

Wigglesworth on March 3, 2014 at 4:24 PM

AP, are you serious? Nothing to do with Bush’s eagerness to get into Iraq post-9/11, huh? Afghanistan was necessary, and I feel many would accept that the US would have to still be there 13 years later. But I believe Iraq poisoned many a mind to the Long War that should be being fought.

Scopper on March 3, 2014 at 4:25 PM

So far my support is behind Marco Rubio.

terryannonline on March 3, 2014 at 4:26 PM

ConservativePartyNow on March 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM

Yes, but Palin also endorsed and later defended McCain when he was censured by Arizona Republicans for failing to represent them. Palin should be called out for that.

I would take Cruz over Palin. Cruz doesn’t hide from challenging tv interview situations and debates and, in fact, scares Dems when he goes against them in those situations. The man is unflappable and is a dynamic, engaging speaker. He’s fascinating to watch.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 4:28 PM

So far my support is behind Marco Rubio.

terryannonline on March 3, 2014 at 4:26 PM

Thanks for the view from La Raza.

Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

So far my support is behind Marco Rubio.

terryannonline on March 3, 2014 at 4:26 PM

This is disappointing…you’ll get over him.

oldroy on March 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Mostly because they are always career politicians…

ladyingray on March 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Or do you mean Multiple screen names??

I am guilty of that, HA!

hey speaking of screen names I just saw one called
Smart Blonde on another thread….

ToddPA on March 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Thanks for the view from La Raza.

Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Orale Homie…

oldroy on March 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM

No… “Immigration Reform” is a Boolean function, On/Off, 1/0. There is no half-measure of legal status with stronger border control. Once the camel has its nose under the tent the Democrats will welcome in the entire beast to lie down, make itself welcome and foul up the joint.

As for Rubio, he’s a dog who has bit its master and can no longer be trusted.

hauntedman on March 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Well, one thing about Cubans, they tend to have an appreciation for the folly of Socialism and an understanding of the benefits of living in freedom.

Any Republican nominee in 2016 has one big problem.

He comes from the second big-govt party in the country, and one was plenty.

I don’t vote for big govt.

Meremortal on March 3, 2014 at 4:33 PM

I’m going to wait until I see who Bill O’Reilly endorses, or which GOP candidate Rachel Maddow fawns over…

coldwarrior on March 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM

ConservativePartyNow on March 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 4:28 PM

What we see here is an attempt to “reason” with someone.

Good luck CPN.

ToddPA on March 3, 2014 at 4:36 PM

coldwarrior on March 3, 2014 at 4:35 PM

I guess I wouldn’t have known that O’Reilly votes Republican. Is that true?

oldroy on March 3, 2014 at 4:37 PM

ZeusGoose on March 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

blueballs on March 3, 2014 at 4:21 PM

…yep!…SURE LOOKS LIKE the same gander to me!…even spells it the same!

KOOLAID2 on March 3, 2014 at 4:38 PM

We already had a second look at Rubio after he won in Florida and then stopped pretending he didn’t hate America having borders and laws.

VorDaj on March 3, 2014 at 4:39 PM

Rubio was busy planning his Cinco de Mayo blowout and could not be reached for comment…

viking01 on March 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Rubio is Cuban, not Mexican. If you are going to promote stereotypes, at least get the nationality right.

(BTW, Cinco de Mayo isn’t celebrated in Mexico; it is an Americanized drinking holiday.)

Illinidiva on March 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Funny how so many people voted for Obama based on his statements, which were proven to be demonstrably false and naive, but most people can’t conceive a Republican doing the converse.

Honestly, this is politics. All of a sudden the new yardstick is some kind honest, forceful articulation of conservative bona-fides. Not a simple appeal that would resonate with enough of the electorate to get….elected.

Marcus Traianus on March 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Didn’t we already have a second look at Rubio last week? I think the result was the same as the first look.

So this is really the second second look, or it’s the first third look. And the third look is as disappointing as the first and the second.

oldroy on March 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I think we are up to about Version 4, Release 3.

VorDaj on March 3, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Illinidiva on March 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM

Hey! Don’t knock Americanized drinking holidays be it St. Patrick’s Day, Mardi Gras, Cinco de Mayo, New Year’s Eve, or Superbowl Sunday.

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:43 PM

oldroy on March 3, 2014 at 4:37 PM

I’ve not a clue how O’Reilly votes. But, when he starts talking about how good a candidate will be for America, you know, a moderate, not one of those pinheads on the Right, seems a lot of the folks vote that way…because Bill is sooo fair and balanced and all that.

coldwarrior on March 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM

As for Rubio, he’s a dog who has bit its master and can no longer be trusted.

hauntedman on March 3, 2014 at 4:31 PM

If you take in a starving dog and make him prosperous, he will not bite you. This is the main difference between a dog and a man. – Mark Twain (and did he ever see Rubio coming)

VorDaj on March 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:43 PM

Hear, hear!! In these times, if one is not a drinker, one should seriously consider becoming one. And if we have to make up a holiday to justify it, well, why not?

coldwarrior on March 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM

coldwarrior on March 3, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Pinhhead O’Reilly says Obama is a patriot. I didn’t think even Barack Obama thinks of Barack Obama is a patriot, or ever has been, and would be highly insulted if he thought Pinhead O’Reilly had any idea of what the hell he was talking about.

VorDaj on March 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Mostly because they are always career politicians…

ladyingray on March 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

No (for me) it is because the Senate is not the place where one finds leaders. Killary bought a seat there because it was a high office where she could hide her incompetence behind 99 others. They literally sat her next to Joe Lieberman during her first SOTU on the floor so that she wouldn’t screw up the whole jumping up and clapping thing.

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Nope. Not yet. Not qualified.

Rubio and others in the Senate should serve with distinction at least one full term, then at some point return to their home states to run for Governor and serve a term or two there to prove their management skills. Then – and only then – should they be considered potential Presidential candidates.

The United States federal government is the largest operation in the world, with a budget larger than the entire economies of any other country except for Japan and China. Millions of employees, and the world’s strongest military.

It doesn’t seem too much to ask to prove you can run something larger than your Senate office staff before taking on the biggest job in the world, does it?

Running the country requires more than making speeches.

Adjoran on March 3, 2014 at 4:49 PM

coldwarrior on March 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM

In times like these even drinking way too much won’t be nearly enough.

VorDaj on March 3, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Don’t Republicans have any decent candidates besides Rand Paul?

Another Libertarian on March 3, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Rubio lied his way into office.

Then he thought we were stupid.

He still thinks we’re stupid.

faraway on March 3, 2014 at 4:53 PM

So far my support is behind Marco Rubio.

terryannonline on March 3, 2014 at 4:26 PM

This is disappointing…you’ll get over him.

oldroy on March 3, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Me love Senor Rubio mucho much. One he get us our amnesty me and Maria and our 8 ninos will come and live with Terry and she can cook for us all.

NoBordersJose on March 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM

coldwarrior on March 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM

You’ve just given me a great idea for a government grant application. A program to encourage Americans to drink more on made-up holidays as way to stimulate the alcohol industry. My inspiration, of course, is our dear rat-eared leader who flitted from a serious discussion about the beginning of WWIII to open happy hour at DNC fundraiser.

More seriously, there is a reason why alcoholism was a problem in the old Soviet Union. Life sucked but vodka was cheap. We are headed in that direction.

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM

VorDaj on March 3, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Annnnnnd, that’s when I stopped tuning into O’Reilly. About 5 years ago.

avagreen on March 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM

I find my digestion has improved immensely since then.

avagreen on March 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM

The only candidate that conservatives should be looking at is Senator Ted Cruz

Conservative4Ever on March 3, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Your federal tax dollars at work: https://twitter.com/fox5newsdc/status/440604052120797184/photo/1

davidk on March 3, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Illinidiva on March 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM

LOL! Right on!

terryannonline on March 3, 2014 at 5:11 PM

“I’m sure there are people who are unhappy with what I did on immigration and will never be supportive of me again”

Especially when that issue will destroy America’s Economy

Brock Robamney on March 3, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I’ve said it before, but it bears repeating.

NO FIRST TERM (OR MAYBE ANY TERM) SENATORS FOR PRESIDENT.

ZeusGoose on March 3, 2014 at 4:16 PM

At this point in our nation’s history, I absolutely agree. Not because of ideaology, but because they have for the most part had no executive experience. I mean, Ted Cruz is da bomb, but being a Solicitor General in Texas is as far a cry from Executive experience as Community Organizer is. Rand Paul ran a pretty successful (I think) ophthalmology practice, but he had, what, 7 employees? I hope Cruz comes back to Texas in a few years and runs for Governor, then President.

Rick Perry has been the Governor of the most successful state in the union for twelve years. He is committed to state sovereignty with his unbridled support of restoring the 10th Amendment. He obviously knows how to get it done. Hopefully his back is better and he will be able to concentrate on the nonsense that comprises a Presidential campaign.

NOMOBO on March 3, 2014 at 5:14 PM

NoBordersJose on March 3, 2014 at 4:54 PM

Because every Mexican woman is named Maria and has 8 kids.

terryannonline on March 3, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Because every Mexican woman is named Maria and has 8 kids.

I think every Mexican woman in my neighborhood owns the house they live in with 8 or so laborers coming and going.

DanMan on March 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Exit question: If Walker and Rubio both run, who wins?

Rubio, because he is better looking.

DrStock on March 3, 2014 at 5:25 PM

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

when did you become a moderator or start paying the hosting bills?

davidk send me email at support(AT)macleodweb.net (replace (AT) with @) and I’ll try to help

dmacleo on March 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM

DanMan on March 3, 2014 at 5:22 PM

That’s stereotyping.

oldroy on March 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Just where in TN might you be…

ladyingray on March 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM

Northern middle Tennessee.

TennesseeTuxedo on March 3, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Illinidiva on March 3, 2014 at 4:40 PM

In your effort to condemn and discredit someone who rightly opposes illegal alien amnesty, you showed your own ignorance in trying to assert your self-imagined superior knowledge and “correct” a supposed stereotype. IlliniDiva, Cinco de Mayo is most certainly celebrated in Mexico (and students even get the day off from school), in some areas more than others. Unlike you, I live in a border state. And, unlike you, I understand the great harm that illegal immigration has done to this country.

Before you and your fellow pro-amnesty commenter Terryannonline start trying to insinuate that immigration law enforcement supporters (a group which includes many Latinos, mind you) are racially insensitive or something, perhaps you should get a clue and know what the hell you are talking about.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM

when did you become a moderator or start paying the hosting bills?
dmacleo on March 3, 2014 at 5:26 PM

It is rude and self-indulgent to use this comment section as a way to get technical support for your television set. It’s common sense.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Glad to see so many no longer are thrilled with Marco. Here in Florida those who have followed his career call him “Little Mel” after Mel Martinez, who similarly trashed Americans and carried water for Jorge Bush on amnesty.

Marco’s record is riddled with advocating for illegals over Americans, beginning in the early 2000′s with DREAM Acts twice. Then in 2008, when the powerful Speaker of the FL House, he blocked every single enforcement bill Floridians had tirelessly worked on. Believe me, Marco was more the leader of the Gang of 8 than a gullible follower. He and Jeb Bush have been protege and mentor for a long time. He lies when he has to, to gain something he wants, but he always returns to amnesty.

I truly believe he is the point man for the members of the RINOcracy which is in bed with the Chamber of Commerce and rules the state of Florida. If you are anti-amnesty and you trust him, you will be betrayed.

memyselfni on March 3, 2014 at 5:35 PM

If the republicans pass legalizing illegals this year, I will not vote for any republican in 2014 or 2016 and will look for a new party. However, I am still open to voting for Jeb Bush’s establishment protégé Marco Rubio in 2016 in the general election.

Does that make me crazy, stupid, hypocritical or what? For me, it all depends on whether he is successful in getting his wishes on immigration I guess. Until he succeeds, I am still an open voter. Ironic or moronic, you be the judge.

KMav on March 3, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Rubio said nothing in that speech that couldn’t have beens said 10 or 20 years ago. But he was “passionate” and we all go weak in the knees. Just shows you how starved we are for some righteous anger.

No second look.

rrpjr on March 3, 2014 at 5:36 PM

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM

its also none of your business.
its also really stupid to tell him to contact his service provider when his post specifically stated he cancelled his service.
you don’t like the post…don’t read it.

dmacleo on March 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

No Rubio

workingclass artist on March 3, 2014 at 5:38 PM

its also none of your business.
dmacleo on March 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

As a reader of this blog, it is my business when people use the comment section for things that have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the content of the blog post, since it detracts from the discussion.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM

no its not, until you become a mod or owner your reading stuff has absolutely no edict of authority.
that must suck knowing you have no impact or authority huh?
BTW…your posts here to me and him are also off topic.
hypocrite.

dmacleo on March 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Why must I read through multiple, insufferable hagfish posts and subsequent responses? This is becoming AnninCA irritating.

Lanceman on March 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Lanceman on March 3, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I was bored, I’ll stop now :)

dmacleo on March 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM

memyselfni on March 3, 2014 at 5:35 PM

Very well put. Rubio is 100% a Jeb Bush lackey and a GOP establishment darling.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 5:44 PM

I was bored, I’ll stop now :)

dmacleo on March 3, 2014 at 5:43 PM

You are not the problem, my friend. Your answer and davidk’s question would have taken two comments total but for that insufferable thing yapping.

Lanceman on March 3, 2014 at 5:45 PM

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Don’t have to insinuate anything. The comments speak for themselves.

terryannonline on March 3, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Dongemaharu on March 3, 2014 at 4:12 PM

pretty much that in a nut shell.

I like governors as POTUS.

conservative tarheel on March 3, 2014 at 5:51 PM

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 1:49 PM
Kiddo, how in the world can you appreciate comments that are totally void of substance and only criticize others? You’re better than that and at least you don’t bother to comment on things that don’t interest you instead of being annoyed at those who do. Geez, one thread out of a day that is free wheeling is hardly the end of the world.
Cindy Munford on March 3, 2014 at 5:23 PM

1) that is a misrepresentation of my comment history.

2) you lecture but fail to lecture the instigator(s). Very telling.

frank on March 3, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Welp, I guess that sockpuppet mask is off.

Ed, Allah?

Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 5:55 PM

blueballs on March 3, 2014 at 5:39 PM

…follow me on twitter…follow me on twitter…follow me on twitter…follow me on twitter………………who?… did that for months and months!

KOOLAID2 on March 3, 2014 at 6:01 PM

And some will commend him for it. Marco’s a very good man. I don’t know if I will support him in the primaries, but I do hope that he is in the mix.

MJBrutus on March 3, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Welp, I guess that sockpuppet mask is off.
Ed, Allah?
Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Sorry, I have one and only one account.

But enough of that silliness. Back to Rubio…

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM

MJBrutus on March 3, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Do you believe in enforcing immigration standards? Should our borders be respected?

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM

I believe that our immigration laws are FUBAR and should be drastically rewritten.

MJBrutus on March 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM

MJBrutus on March 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Our immigration system is fair and too generous. Why don’t you believe in enforcing our immigration standards? Why do you believe our borders don’t deserve to be respected?

Canadians and Europeans are moving towards stricter immigration laws, yet some here want mass illegal alien amnesty. It’s madness.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I want to see illegal alien birthright citizenship ended.

Children of illegal aliens should NOT be given US citizenship just because they were born here:

Most countries do not give away citizenship to illegal aliens’ babies. It’s insanity for us to continue this.

The 14th amendment was to answer the question of citizenship for freed slaves, not this.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 6:34 PM

ANOTHER Second look? At Rubio?

NO WAY – NO HOW.
—————————————–

“backing a bill”

RUBIO WROTE THE BILL.

“a bill offering a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants”

THE BILL GRANTS NSTANT AMNESTY TO ILLEGALS.
——————————————

Rubio LIED his way into office. During his run against Charlie Crist, one of Rubio’s main issues was his opposition to AMNESTY. Rubio repeated his claims over and over, stating that he had never supported AMNESTY in any form, and would never support AMNESTY in any form. A year and a half later, Rubio revealed that he was working directly with democrats to craft an AMNESTY plan – he spent MONTHS pushing AMNESTY 24/7, and criticizing ANYONE who did not agree with him, his democrat buddies, or obama on AMNESTY.

During his all-out AMNESTY push, Rubio told a myriad of LIES, trying to convince America that HIS AMNESTY PLAN was not an AMNESTY plan. And then, once his polling numbers had started to really tank, and it was clear that his political career was toast, he suddenly decided that he no longer supported the bill that he had written – and he (publicly) abandoned his signature issue (of course, he is still working quietly behind the scenes to get AMNESTY rammed through).

Does anyone really think that Rubio will be, or should be forgiven?

Pork-Chop on March 3, 2014 at 6:37 PM

No more senators.
No more Bushes.
Walker, Jindal, maybe some other governor.
But not Rubio, and not Bush.

mikesixes on March 3, 2014 at 6:45 PM

It not so much that Rubio supports amnesty; it is the fact
that NOW he supports amnesty, after telling conservatives (in order to get elected) that he was against it.

RUBIO LIED!

When and where are we conservatives supposed to draw the line?

Amjean on March 3, 2014 at 7:29 PM

MJBrutus on March 3, 2014 at 6:02 PM

That’s the way I feel about him at this point. I’m certainly open to a Rubio candidacy and, I might add, a Walker, Martinez, Kaish, Jindal, or Pence candidacy. Lets not forget we got a strong gubernatorial bench to choose from.

shubalstearns on March 3, 2014 at 7:33 PM

I’m not really sure what the recent events in Ukraine do for or against a Rubio candidacy, but they do hurt Rand Paul. We don’t need a President who will intervene in every small international conflict, nor a President who doesn’t care about foreign policy.
We need a President who can discern when a foreign crisis requires our attention, and when it’s not worthwhile.

Obama campaigned on “judgment to lead”, meaning that his judgment on Iraq was better than GW Bush’s judgment, but he has basically “cut and run” from places where we had the upper hand at the start of his term (Afghanistan and Iraq), jumped into Libya for “humanitarian” reasons to save the people of Benghazi who later murdered our diplomats, yet has been weak and clueless in dealing with a strong enemy on the march, such as Russia.

We do need a President with “judgment to lead”, who knows when it’s in America’s interest to intervene, and to what degree. No one wants a shooting war against Russia or China, but we need a President whom our enemies will fear, so that such wars can be avoided, without weaker countries being overrun. We also need a President who will actively support our allies, not snub them and hector them the way Obama has done to Poland and Israel.

We also need a President who knows what’s fighting FOR, not only what he’s fighting AGAINST. Obama went into Libya with the attitude “Qaddafi is bad and must be deposed” without finding out who is fighting against him and what they would do with power. Obama called for the ouster of former Egyptian president Mubarak without realizing that his replacement would be much worse. And in a situation where neither side is our friend (such as Syria), then we should stay out.

Bottom line: we need a President with the strength to change the things he can change, the patience to accept the things he can’t change, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Steve Z on March 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Nope. There are key issues then there are policy issues. The way Marco went about it reveals his hypocrisy hence not trustworthy of “leader”.

AH_C on March 3, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Steve Z on March 3, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I don’t think it hurts Paul at all. With that said, it remains to be seen if he’ll run in 2016. I’m of the opinion that he won’t. That would satisfy me because I want to keep him as my senator another six years.

Your post seem to imply that Rand does n’t have the judgment to be President. But he is not responsible for the current administration’s foreign policy follies.

shubalstearns on March 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Nope! Not in this lifetime.

elfman on March 3, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Well, I guess the GOP needs to get off its collective duff and FIND ONE then.

I will NEVER vote again for another pro-amnesty Republican.
After eight years of the crappiest president in U.S. history, do they really think we’re so afraid of socialist Democrats that we’ll scramble to the polls to save them from the consequences of their own pandering???

The GOP needs to figure out whether it’s going to be the Party of Principles or the Party of Identity Politics. And here’s some bad news for them… there’s already an app for that.

Murf76 on March 3, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Yell ‘”amnesty’” and watch telemundo sell all of us out.
F u no!

HillC Liver Spot on March 3, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 5:55 PM

You need help M9….why?….I had the same thought as you when I read the post you highlighted. Ain’t got a dog in the hunt, but I thought the same thing. Sorry to suggest you delve into my level!!!! Chuckle.

HonestLib on March 3, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Marco Rubio has did an impressive and passionate speech on rejecting Harkin’s bull on Cuba..If he continues to develope his policy chops he could be a player..I don’t know if it is 2016 though..He has a very good style in the way he sells the GOP message..:)

Dire Straits on March 3, 2014 at 8:04 PM