Second look at Rubio 2016?

posted at 3:21 pm on March 3, 2014 by Allahpundit

I knew this was coming. No, really, I did.

A contingent on the right will never forgive him for backing a bill offering a pathway to citizenship for undocumented immigrants, and his critics say he jettisoned the plan strictly to preserve his political standing. But in interviews with numerous GOP leaders and influential conservative activists in early primary states, his new push seems to have won over one-time skeptics who are now more open to a prospective Rubio candidacy…

“I’m sure there are people who are unhappy with what I did on immigration and will never be supportive of me again,” Rubio said in an interview in the Capitol last week. “But by and large, I think if you look at my approval ratings in different metrics that are out there, I feel like many of my supporters maybe disagreed with me on immigration — and disagreed strongly — but they understand that I’ve been involved in other issues that are important for the country.”…

Last week, Rubio got rave reviews from Rush Limbaugh and Iowa activists when the son of Cuban immigrants blasted the Hawkeye State’s veteran Democratic senator, Tom Harkin, in a floor speech over Cuba and Venezuela. Rubio has methodically tried to burnish his foreign policy credentials to carve out a middle ground between the GOP hawks and libertarians in his party, while recently making high-profile swings through Asia and Europe.

In a series of speeches in Washington and in Florida, Rubio is piecing together a domestic policy platform, rolling out proposals to overhaul higher education, such as by allowing the transfer of accredited online courses to traditional colleges, and provide a conservative alternative to President Lyndon B. Johnson’s War on Poverty, including a new proposal to implement the earned income tax credit.

Conn Carroll, who maintained his admiration for Rubio even while railing against his amnesty efforts, also thinks it might be time for a second round of Marcomania. The timing for it is perfect: Christie’s faded, Rand Paul’s lying low while foreign policy issues flare up, and Jeb Bush and Scott Walker haven’t tipped their hands yet. It’s only Rubio and Cruz who’ve been in the news lately, and much of Cruz’s coverage is devoted to his battles with Senate colleagues. For the moment, Rubio has the spotlight largely to himself. I told you last summer, even as the backlash to the Gang of Eight bill was raging, that he wasn’t finished as a presidential candidate. For one basic reason: With the possible exception of Cruz, there’s not a single likely Republican nominee who’s appreciably better on immigration than Rubio is. (Read this old post from Mickey Kaus to see why Cruz is only “possibly” better.) You can and should hold it against Rubio that he was decetiful on immigration as a candidate, but I think it’s goofy to believe he’d cave any more comprehensively on the issue as president than Bush or Walker would. In fact, if you’re trying to talk yourself into giving him a second chance, there’s an argument to be made that he’d be marginally better on amnesty than some of his rivals at this point precisely because he took such a beating for it last year. One sellout can be forgiven as a mistake, especially if the House ends up doing nothing on immigration. A second sellout as president would be an irredeemable betrayal.

Needless to say, the weaker Obama seems on foreign policy over the next two years, the more hawks like Rubio will benefit during the primary campaign. It’s an open question to me how much of the new respect for Paul-style non-interventionism expressed by grassroots conservatives over the past few years is based on its merits as an ideology versus how much is simply a reaction to Obama’s interventionist blunders. O escalated in Afghanistan and got a few more years of bloody stalemate and aggravation from Karzai for his trouble. He escalated in Libya and ended up with a murdered ambassador and thousands of weapons from Qaddafi’s arsenal going loose. He wanted to escalate in Syria but eventually backed out once he realized that virtually no one in either party wanted to roll the dice on that one. All of that was good for Paul, who could cite it as further proof that interfering abroad almost always means grief and regret. But the Syria debacle may have been a pyrrhic victory for non-interventionists: By letting a character as loathsome as Putin bail him out with a face-saving disarmament deal, O looked weak, which antagonized hawks. Now he looks weak again, unfairly in the sense that his options are no better than Bush’s were vis-a-vis Georgia in 2008 but even rhetorically with lame spin about “uncontested arrivals” and “lines” that no one takes seriously anymore. The more hapless he seems over the next two years, the more convincing Rubio will sound when warning tea partiers that America needs a hawk as C-in-C, not a non-interventionist. That’s one of the big mysteries that the next primary election will solve: Is the GOP truly trending more dovish or is it simply reliably anti-Obama, irrespective of whether O’s leaning hawkish or dovish at a given moment? Rubio’s going to argue that Afghanistan, Libya, and Syria would have been successful with a more competent interventionist giving the orders. If GOP voters agree, that’s a stark repudiation of Paul’s call for a more “modest” foreign policy.

Either way, I’m looking forward to Paul’s inevitable zinger that if the party wants a guy who supports amnesty and dreams of intervening in every international mess on the map, they might as well nominate McCain again instead of Rubio. Exit question: If Walker and Rubio both run, who wins? I imagine them as competing for the same niche between the loud-and-proud centrists like Bush and Christie and the stalwart tea partiers like Paul and Cruz. Walker has the edge because he’s a governor and of course because of his glorious union-busting victory in Wisconsin, no?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Fool me once…

Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM

ncjetsfan on March 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Second look at Rubio?

dmacleo on March 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Jeb/Rubio….the fight for the non-existent center.

Oil Can on March 3, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Whatever. Don’t care what the GOP want to do any more.

Midas on March 3, 2014 at 3:22 PM

And if that’s not enough:

NO NO NO NO and NO

ConstantineXI on March 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Absolutely not. No way in hell…

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM

What core principles does he hold this week?

viking01 on March 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM

NO!…he11 NO!

KOOLAID2 on March 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM

Let’s send another jerkoff lawyer who has never worked a day in his life to DC to lord over us!

Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Didn’t we already have a second look at Rubio last week? I think the result was the same as the first look.

So this is really the second second look, or it’s the first third look. And the third look is as disappointing as the first and the second.

oldroy on March 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Babyface. Needs more experience.

bbordwell on March 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Absolutely not. No way in hell…

OmahaConservative on March 3, 2014 at 3:23 PM

If Rubio wants to redeem himself, he stays in the Senate and works to oppose The Obama Regime, socialism, and the GOPe. And above all stands AGAINST Amnesty.

He burned his President’s card when he went “Gang of-ster”

ConstantineXI on March 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Pro-illegal alien amnesty Marco Rubio is a total fraud and traitor.

Marco Rubio lied about opposing amnesty to get elected, then became one of the largest amnesty pushers once in office:

Marco Rubio has also been caught telling Spanish-speaking audiences one thing, then English-speaking audiences another:

Marco Rubio cannot ever be trusted again. Anyone who supports illegal alien amnesty should be thrown out of office.

The country is very much against illegal alien amnesty:

Don’t believe the lies to the contrary.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM

ElectricPhase on March 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM

He blatantly lied. He cant be trusted.

Blake on March 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Dead To Me

neyney on March 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM

My prediction? Come 2016, Rubio will be the establishment’s candidate. I think Christie’s numbers will scare them off and I truly don’t believe the establishment will be suicidal enough to back someone with the last name “Bush” in 2016 that stands no chance in the general election — In steps Rubio.

midgeorgian on March 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM

HELL NO!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I’m going to take that second to last paragraph and fold it enough times to stop my coffee table from wobbling.

Rubio lied to us. I still don’t trust liars.

DanMan on March 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Ummm-Ted Cruz is also a Lawyer.
Rubio’s being a lawyer ain’t the problem.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Rubio burned any chance he had to get my support, on the whole Obamnesty thing. He’s not going to get it back.

That goes for every other (R) that’s for Obamnesty.

Meople on March 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Key West Reader on March 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Don’t think I ever gave him a first look

theblackcommenter on March 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

no, the first sellout was an irredeemable betrayal. we’re not going to get tricked again.

Sachiko on March 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

I took a second look.

Nope, still not voting for the guy.

Bishop on March 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Marco… just go back to suckin’ on that water bottle.
(Disclaimer: my userid is not connected in any way to Mr Rubio.)

Marcola on March 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Walker has the edge because he’s a governor

I really like Ted Cruz, and Rubio is not as bad as most here paint him. But, IMHO, neither would make the President we need. We need someone with Executive experience, who has run a large government ogranization like a state, ie a governor

Perry 2016

NOMOBO on March 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM

No. But with the possibility of redemption.
He needs to “evolve” into a more conservative Tea Party supporting Senator. Be more supportive of Cruz, Lee, and Rand than McLame and Schumer.
We need to take a page from the libs, who welcome those who “devolve” to the lib position. We need to welcome those who realize their mistakes, and adopt our position.

Iblis on March 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Submit impeachment papers and maybe I’ll take a third look.

Bishop on March 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Who cares? Rubio is a despicable. lying, scumbag, treasonous, little worm. He thinks that Cubans and Venezuelans (along with every other alien latino) are the people he is supposed to be representing in Congress and whose interests he works for. Rubio is an enemy of the notion of national sovereignty and an attacker of the foundational structure of the nation-state. He’s a total POS. He should deport himself so that he can actually live with those whose interests he fights so hard against Americans for.

Rubio, go away. Far, far away. Even farther away than I meant in the headlines thread. You are anti-American scum.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on March 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Rubio is piecing together a domestic policy platform

Call me when that policy is more about repealing law and regulation, hell whole agencies, instead of implementing more.

lowandslow on March 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Ummm-Ted Cruz is also a Lawyer.
Rubio’s being a lawyer ain’t the problem.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

You missed the operative part of the original comment, I think – the part about not having ever held an actual job outside of being a politician.

Cruz does not fall into that description.

Midas on March 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Perry 2016

NOMOBO on March 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Yep.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM

If Walker and Rubio both run, who wins?

Hopefully neither wins, but Walker at least has executive experience, and a good overall record. Plus, the left would become completely unglued if he was the nominee. Don’t know that he would defeat Hillary though.

cat_owner on March 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Exninja on March 3, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Norwegian on March 3, 2014 at 3:35 PM

I also give Rubio credit for a great speech trashing Harkin. But again, its easy to give a speech, you have to fight the fight too.
Rubio does need executive experience before he could ever think about running for President.

Iblis on March 3, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Ummm-Ted Cruz is also a Lawyer.
Rubio’s being a lawyer ain’t the problem.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Cruz worked in private practice for several years. He hasn’t just begged for his dinner like Rubio. HUGE difference.

Murphy9 on March 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Squish

idesign on March 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Iblis on March 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Um, are you kidding me? He started pushing illegal alien amnesty after being sworn in, and after promising while campaigning to do the opposite, and you are saying you’re ready to forgive him if only he’ll revert back to telling his campaign-mode lies?

The man has ZERO credibility left. I think we ought to be holding politicians accountable.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

Never!Once a traitor on a critical issue always the potential traitor on another.No trust,no vote.And no amnesty,ever!

redware on March 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Not here, he is DOA

De Oppresso Liber on March 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

We have cancelled our cable. We have a Visio TV. We have hooked up an antennae, but we can’t figure out how to change the TV from cable to antennae; it still show the blue screen/no signal.

We have pushed a lot of buttons but can’t get it to recognize the antennae.

Any ideas?

davidk on March 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

If Walker and Rubio both run, who wins?

cat_owner on March 3, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Both Scott Walker and Marco Rubio are establishment darlings who support illegal alien amnesty.

I’ll take Cruz over them both.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Lighter skinned Obama, and a go’fer for the RINO’S to boot.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 3, 2014 at 3:39 PM

He’s been in bed with Schumer, Reid and McCain. He has the virus and once you’ve been infected, it stays in your system.

Toast!

katy on March 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM

They will keep Rubio on the deal to split the votes in primary’s so that the fat Bush baby has a chance.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on March 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Perry 2016

NOMOBO on March 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Agreed on the executive experience part. Right now I’m leaning towards Paul because I think he has shown the best ability to connect to traditional non-Republican voters and sway them to conservative views, but I would prefer to see a governor step up.

I was a Perry supporter until he dropped out in 2012, but I’m skeptical that he will be able to make it through the debates unscathed. As they say, you only get one chance to make a first impression and the first impression he gave many Republican voters was “heartless” and “oops.”

midgeorgian on March 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Any ideas?
davidk on March 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Wrong place to post this. Call your service provider, don’t post on a politics blog with the question.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

renalin on March 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Toast!

katy on March 3, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Now you’re making Boehner jealous!

viking01 on March 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I looked.

He still sucks, the liar and traitor.

Schadenfreude on March 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Our only chance of beating the Hildebeest is to run Anthony Weiner.

Weiner
Fluke/Leathers/Lewinsky

2016

MisterElephant on March 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Oh I’m sorry, did either of those guys buy hook line and sinker all the BS that Schumer and the rest of the Dems sold to Rubio? Did either of them go to bat for the Dems, completely roll back on promises like Rubio did regarding Immigration, and completely lie about pretty much everything in the Senate bill? No? Well then yeah, it really does matter what he did.

Rubio can have his moments but as far as I’m concerned, he’s never going to be back on the list of Presidential candidates. Yeah… pushing for Amnesty is that big a deal to me, it is a dealbreaker when someone pushes something that will destroy our country.

Ukiah on March 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Sure why not, I can forgive…. Rubio/Paul 2016!

formulabuddha on March 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Rubio and Ryan are both ded to me…

ladyingray on March 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM

“Now I haven’t seen Rubio adopting our position on immigration, but when he does, I’ll be happy to welcome him.

Iblis”

Nope. He’s fatally damaged goods now. The only way I can see this working out for him is that he spend 15-20 years in the wilderness, until people have forgotten what he did. As it happens, that’s what he needs anyway, first to demonstrate that there’s something more than speeches to him (and I haven’t been that impressed with them anyway) but also to atone and develop a track record of achievements.

The idea that he’s ready for the presidency is laughable, even if you ignore the character defects.

pehrsson on March 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Allah, Rubios Senate seat is up for reelection in 2016. Do you seriously believe that he sacrifices the job security of a save Senate seat for a risky presidential campaign?

Valkyriepundit on March 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Perry 2016

NOMOBO on March 3, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Because he did such a great job in 2012.. I’m sorry but forgetting one’s own platform in a debate is a career killer.

I do agree that someone like Walker is better positioned (as long as he wins reelection in 2014). However, I want to remind you all of the great and glorious people sniffing around at 2016.. Jeb Bush (please just shoot me know if he wins the nomination), CHuckles (because we want a televangelist as President),or Rick Santorum (because a national conversation on birth control sounds great.)

Illinidiva on March 3, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Submit impeachment papers and maybe I’ll take a third look.

Bishop on March 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM

At what point did Marco Rubio become a member of the House of Representatives…?

JohnGalt23 on March 3, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Yeah. Sure. Why not?

After all, he’s a clean, articulate Hispanic guy.

Combine that with his ‘reasonableness’ on immigration, and he’s bound to win a big percentage of the Hispanic vote. Also, the Democrats will have to stop using the race card so much./s

The stupidity in the GOPe runs as deep as the Mariana Trench.

fadetogray on March 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM

I WILL NEVER SUPPORT A PRO-AMNESTY POLITICIAN LIKE SCOTT WALKER OR MARCO RUBIO.

VIDEO – Scott Walker says “Sure!” to illegal alien amnesty. Skip to last seconds of video:

Also, look at the end of the video posted here (Walker’s own words):

The controversy is about mass illegal alien amnesty, which Walker supports. Walker’s support for an increase in H-1B visas, something that is widely supported, is not the issue here. Issues of specialized, legal foreign workers and border security should not be linked to illegal alien amnesty. I wish people would stop allowing the amnesty issue to be obscured and hidden through the use of positive-sounding, vague terms like “immigration reform.”
NO SPECIAL PATHWAY TO CITIZENSHIP OR ANY LEGALIZATION FOR ILLEGAL ALIENS, PERIOD. ENFORCE THE LAW.

I will never support a pro-amnesty politician. The issue is way too important.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM

They are NOT “immigrants”, morons.

Schadenfreude on March 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM

idesign on March 3, 2014 at 3:36 PM

OT-sort of. While I’m still a Perry girl…I’m also becoming more disposed to a..um…Palin presidency.
Yeah-it’s really me. LoL
No Rubio, Ryan etc!

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Immigration is NOT amnesty, fools.

Schadenfreude on March 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Any ideas?
davidk on March 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I suspect it’s an “input select” type of thing; your cable was probably connected to something like ‘Video 1′ or ‘Aux 1′, and you’re still pointing there.

You’ll have to use the tv remote or on-screen menu (maybe there’s an input select button on the side of the tv, where you’d manually change the volume, channels, etc). I think sometimes it’s even part of the channel select – like you change the channel down like you’re looking for channel 1, channel 0, then below that, before it rolls over and shows you the large channel numbers, sometimes you get into different aux input settings…

Midas on March 3, 2014 at 3:50 PM

“Yes, just like Obama and McCain and Rubio, Walker claims he is against “amnesty” while advocating for special pathway to legalization.”

You forgot Paul Ryan “It’s not amnesty, because I choose to call it a different word” in that list.

The truly mind-boggling thing is that these idiots saw what happened to Rubio and yet they keep signing up to put their heads on the railroad tracks anyway.

pehrsson on March 3, 2014 at 3:51 PM

Rubio proved that he is bought and sold by the Ruling Class.

As has Rand.

But that doesn’t mean the Bush Family won’t try to use him like a wet rag. As they are trying with Christie. And they probably have a few more up their sleeve. Probably Rand.

All to slice their knees off at just the right time to allow Jeb to come riding in – reluctant, dontcha’ know – only because of his intense patriotrism and love of country dontcha’ know – to the rescue.

Bank. on. it.

And be ready to defeat it with someone who has not already been compromised by the Ruling Class.

Mike Pence
Perhaps Nikki Haley
Or Susaana Martinez
Sarah Palin

hrh40 on March 3, 2014 at 3:52 PM

He supports amnesty. No way.

TennesseeTuxedo on March 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM

The issues don’t matter. In the end everyone will get behind Rubio as a presidential candidate just like everyone got behind Romney and McCain before him./s

Wigglesworth on March 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM

No. Nope. Nyet. Negative. Pass. Not gonna do it.

ghostwalker1 on March 3, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Wow, if only the child would peruse this thread, for renewed support…maybe terryannonline will show up.

Schadenfreude on March 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Schadenfreude on March 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Diva and Gill are already here. That’s plenty.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Oh Marco! You’re really a political neophyte, aren’t you?

It wasn’t your collusion with the Gang of Eight, which is bad enough. You were the Hispanic in the mix that gave Schumer and the others some top cover when it came to an amnesty scheme (stop calling it immigration, there was nothing about immigration involved in your plot).

But where you really de-railed your aspirations of higher office was when you got caught lying your ass off. Saying stuff on Spanish-language television you never said on the floor of the Senate or in English-language interviews. It’s your lack of character and not your advocacy of amnesty which makes you unfit for higher office.

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Second look at Rubio 2016?

Sure, after the first looks at Jindal, Walker, Martinez, & Haley (in no particular order).

rukiddingme on March 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM

Unlike liberals, who are mentally imbalanced, politicians can’t lie to conservatives and expect them to forgive and forget. The only way Rubio wins the Presidency is if he runs as a Democrat. He can’t win without strong conservative turn-out. 2010 is an example of motivated conservatives.

How many times has Obama lied through his teeth to Americans and he still has a 42% approval rating. Proof that liberals are idiots.

cajunpatriot on March 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM

I do give him kudos for his passionate takedown of Tom Harkin’s love letter to Cuba, but… Not ready to forgive you for lying down with the Democrat amnesty dogs, young Rubio and then, lying to us about it. We saw the fleas.

Fallon on March 3, 2014 at 3:58 PM

He lied to us once; he’ll lie to us again. He will not receive my vote.

Shadow on March 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Submit impeachment papers and maybe I’ll take a third look.

Bishop on March 3, 2014 at 3:32 PM

And go full TEA Party and burn the RINOs and Dems he aligned with previously.

kim roy on March 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Rubio was busy planning his Cinco de Mayo blowout and could not be reached for comment…

viking01 on March 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Interpretation…big donor might back Rubio just like they did McCain and Romney. The only problem is that conservative voters didn’t back them and they won’t back Rubio. Rubio will be lucky to get re-elected to the Senate.

cajunpatriot on March 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Not happening. At least not with me.

Lie once and you’re done as far as I’m concerned. I don’t give second chances to liars and hypocrites when it comes to something like political offices.

Diluculo on March 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Now you’re making Boehner jealous!

viking01 on March 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Jealous? Boehner is relieved… He is raw from taking in in the arse for so long that Rubio gave him a reprieve.

katy on March 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Or Susaana Martinez
Sarah Palin
hrh40 on March 3, 2014 at 3:52 PM

Bad news about Martinez and amnesty. Here she gives away part of the game that pro-amnesty Republicans are playing. They are avoiding the word “amnesty” and even denying that they are for amnesty. In the past I was disappointed to see some commenters here fall for Walker’s similar “I’m not for amnesty” spiel:

The governor also said she hopes the party can change their tone, eliminating words like “amnesty” from the debate.

After chatting with Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer a few minutes before, she said that Arizona’s restrictive immigration law is not the type she would implement in her state.

“And it can be tackled without using the word amnesty,” she said. “People can be in this country legally and contributing, and they can come here to do all kinds of jobs, not just jobs Americans don’t want, all kinds of jobs, get educated, the whole nine yards, but be here legally. And there’s a variety of ways of receiving that kind of status.”

I have been disgusted to see supposed conservative media allies, including bloggers at the site, avoid using the term “illegal alien amnesty.” Instead we get vague and even positive sounding terms like “immigration reform.” There is an effort to blur the line between legal and illegal illegal immigration.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 4:01 PM

Not for this Floridian.

JimK on March 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Uhh-hh, he’s not a natural born citizen ( Born in this country of two citizen parents ).

bill glass on March 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM

Well, somebody is trying to stir things up on a slow snowy afternoon!

Look, I would vote for Palin. I even did so in 2008 despite her questionable choice in running mates. But, there is no way that the supporters of GOP surrender weasels are going to get behind Palin. She’s too polarizing.

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM

bill glass on March 3, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Let’s leave the birther nonsense to the left. CITIZENSHIP-wise, Rubio, Jindal, and Cruz are ALL eligible to be POTUS.

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM

This is so typical of conservatives. Swooning over a red-meat speech that had nothing to do with our current domestic madness but was a totally risk-free boilerplate denunication of Cuba (which is Rubio’s metier anyway). Listen to the speech. He doesn’t directly mention the Left once.

On the other hand, his pursuit of amnesty was relentlessly dishonest. He never once apologized for it. He just ran away for awhile when he was exposed as a liar.

No forgiveness. The future is too important.

rrpjr on March 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Most Americans oppose illegal alien amnesty. Don’t let anyone tell you that there is a strong desire out there among voters for amnesty or that immigration law enforcement is merely a concern of the conservative “base.”
That’s why pro-amnesty supporters have to lie to voters, hide their true intentions and pay for ads like this:

VIDEO: http://youtu.be/ecrUDjMlf5s. (Gives impression Graham and Rubio are for getting “tough” on illegal aliens)

And here’s a Zuckerberg-funded, fake “conservative” ad that tries to trick voters into thinking the Republican sellout amnesty proposal is what’s needed to “get tough” on illegals:
VIDEO: http://youtu.be/l9XRF_kqIN4

Politicians like Martinez, Ryan, Rubio and Walker are all on the same page with this. I would like to see more candidates who recognize the disaster that mass illegal alien amnesty would be. Nikki Haley? Need to learn more about her. Cruz is definitely someone I would enthusiastically support.

The Chamber of Commerce and others are putting a lot of money towards trying to convince conservatives that these amnesty programs are the opposite of what they are.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM

in 2016, we need a governor, and not just any governor, one whose middle name is NOT ELLIS

ConservativePartyNow on March 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I actually just mentioned it for idesign. Really.
Supporting SP for Potus is kind of out of character for me. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM

If the road to the White House is through the Senate in 2016, I’m only looking at Senators that supported efforts to defund Obamacare. That wasn’t Rubio or Paul.

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Second look at Rubio 2016?

Not only No, but Hell No!!

coldwarrior on March 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM

“But, there is no way that the supporters of GOP surrender weasels are going to get behind Palin. She’s too polarizing.” “Polarizing” = “Honest”.

ncjetsfan on March 3, 2014 at 4:08 PM

I actually just mentioned it for idesign. Really.
Supporting SP for Potus is kind of out of character for me. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Like I said, trying to stir things up! And that’s so unlike you. ;0

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:08 PM

Speaking of amnesty, the one that really hurt was Susana Martinez. In 2010 Martinez claimed to be against amnesty and against drivers licenses for illegal aliens. Since then, though she has made efforts to revoke the illegal alien drivers licenses and stop the practice in her state, she has come out for amnesty. It’s disappointing to me, since I had such high hopes for her. Last year she criticized Romney for his position on immigration law enforcement and pledged her for support for “comprehensive immigration reform” a.k.a. amnesty. Like Walker, she seems to have accepted the prevailing mindset among “party leadership” that amnesty must be done.

We need to make sure that a pro-amnesty candidate doesn’t get anywhere near the nomination.

Amnesty is not the issue to ever give in on.

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Any ideas?
davidk on March 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

bluegill on March 3, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Bite me, bluegill.

davidk on March 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM

I actually just mentioned it for idesign. Really.
Supporting SP for Potus is kind of out of character for me. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Like I said, trying to stir things up! And that’s so unlike you. ;0

Happy Nomad on March 3, 2014 at 4:08 PM

The thing you cannot deny is Palin has been on the right side of every issue over the last 5 years

ConservativePartyNow on March 3, 2014 at 4:10 PM