First batch of concealed carry permits going out in Illinois

posted at 7:01 pm on March 1, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

I never thought I’d live to see the day. The Chicago Tribune reports:

Illinois’ first concealed carry gun licenses — about 5,000 of them — are being printed and mailed today, Illinois State Police officials said in a morning press conference.

Officials said they have received more than 50,000 applications. Those being mailed today were early approvals, mostly for those who submitted fingerprints along with their application. …

The new law allowing concealed guns to be carried in public was cobbled together after an appellate court struck down the state’s concealed carry ban in December 2012.

An online system for applying for permits was launched in January. State police also are working on a paper application process that they hope to have completed by July.

Of course, permits are still very subject to the approval of law enforcement, and there are a whole heap of absurd restrictions on where Illinois residents can and cannot carry — but heck, it’s certainly something, and more than what I thought they’d accomplish in such a relatively short time frame. Despite all of the noise at the federal level and over a handful of states hastily pushing through ill-conceived gun restrictions in the last couple of years, the underlying and encouraging pattern in state gun-law changes has been trending most heavily toward liberalization and getting rid of the stigma of gun ownership. That’s good news, and to close, I’ll tease this great piece from on the topic from the Chicago Reader that I highly recommend you go finish:

The first lesson Gerald Vernon shared with his conceal-and-carry class is, to him, the most fundamental: “The only thing that stops bad people with guns is good people with guns.”

His ten students—eight men and two women, all African-Americans—were listening intently. They had gathered in a meeting room at a south-side social service center to learn about gun ownership and self-defense from Vernon, a veteran firearms instructor who was seated at the front of the room next to a table set with an array of revolvers and semiautomatic handguns from his collection.

The students didn’t appear to need any convincing. “I’m interested in protection,” explained Thomas Brandon, 57, when it was his turn to introduce himself. The others said they were there for the same reason.

Comments

BISHOP!

2lbsTest on March 1, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Yet self-described liberals oppose liberalization. Ironic.

Stoic Patriot on March 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM

The end times must be near.

ajacksonian on March 1, 2014 at 7:09 PM

So when the hell can we conceal carry in New York?

Oh, and BISHOP!!

Maddie on March 1, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Is it just me or does the pistol grip in the photo look like Illinois in reverse?

Sacramento on March 1, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Logically, blacks will benefit disproportionately from the new law, since they tend to live in the corrupt Democratic Party inner city strongholds where crime is rampant. There’s some irony there.

slickwillie2001 on March 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Wow! I’m surprised that the authorities didn’t put a pile of onerous admin requirements in place to slow down the process.

Still waiting for Maryland to make it easy to get a concealed carry permit.

NavyMustang on March 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Maybes these permits could be expedited to Ukraine!!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 1, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Illinois is where my family lives, and it is one of I think 8 or 10 states that won’t recognize my CCP from Tennessee. I’d like to see this change, but I won’t hold my breath. The state is a blue stronghold and liberals are drama queens.

melle1228 on March 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM

ALT to announce she and her family are moving back to Chicago in 5 .. 4 .. 3 …

j/k

ShainS on March 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Is Illinois may issue or shall issue? I know their conceal carry ban was killed by the courts, but that doesn’t mean shall issue. Anyone know?

NotCoach on March 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Come November 2014, however, these same fools will vote for the party of Obama and Rahm, those who want to take those weapons, because the GOP are racist or something.

HillC Liver Spot on March 1, 2014 at 7:23 PM

So nice of government to allow us what should be our choice.

CWchangedhisNicagain on March 1, 2014 at 7:25 PM

slickwillie2001 on March 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Nonintelligent will set you straight. He’ll explain why blacks aren’t genetically capable of carrying.

NotCoach on March 1, 2014 at 7:25 PM

melle1228 on March 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Reciprocity will be the last hill they die on.

NotCoach on March 1, 2014 at 7:26 PM

I’ve had mine in Texas for almost 20 years. It’s about time, Illinois. My daughter is getting hers in a few weeks.

Texas ain’t safe for criminals.

iurockhead on March 1, 2014 at 7:31 PM

ALT to announce she and her family are moving back to Chicago in 5 .. 4 .. 3 …

j/k

ShainS on March 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM

She’s had a bad couple of days.

ladyingray on March 1, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Reciprocity will be the last hill they die on.

NotCoach on March 1, 2014 at 7:26 PM

For guns or gay marriages?

slickwillie2001 on March 1, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Reciprocity will be the last hill they die on.

NotCoach on March 1, 2014 at 7:26 PM

That is where we 2A believers have to take it to the mat.

ladyingray on March 1, 2014 at 7:35 PM

I’ve carried a gun in Chicago more than once. The trick is don’t look like a thug and don’t go looking for trouble. They never had stop’n’frisk.

Lanceman on March 1, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Oh! A S&W 638 Featherweight! Do want.

Xavier on March 1, 2014 at 7:50 PM

They’ll need more than that to counter the “flexibility” Obama gave Putin…

viking01 on March 1, 2014 at 7:51 PM

melle1228 on March 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Same as California, you’ll never get them to allow it here either. Even a CCW here is very difficult, despite what happened in San Diego County.

onesheep on March 1, 2014 at 7:55 PM

I’m not so sure CHL’s really serve a purpose other than allowing the State to track you. The approval process is laughable, at least here in Texas, the don’t have the time or resources to do any in-depth checks. For example, If you don’t disclose that you were institutionalized in another state, they don’t catch it. Pretty much you pay to take the required course, pass a cursory background check, and *poof* you’re a card carrying, gun slinging Texan. Don’t step out of line, though, cuz big brother has your number.

NativeTexan on March 1, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Violent crime just went down 8% in Chicago.

vnvet on March 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Lanceman on March 1, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Pfft. I’ve carried a gun into NYC more than once. You just don’t give it over to the Empire State Building po-po…Jeeze, how damn dumb…

ladyingray on March 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Second time I have seen that picture lately and I guess it is a S&W 686? I have a 7 shot S&W 686 .357 magnum, but the grip on the pic looks like an after market pachmayr grip.

Ain’t no expert on revolvers so any help would be appreciated.

HonestLib on March 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

So glad I live in a shall issue, right to work state. Y’all hang in there.

mike_NC9 on March 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

NativeTexan on March 1, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Awesome!!!! I’m moving to Texas!!!

ladyingray on March 1, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Violent crime just went down 8% in Chicago.

vnvet on March 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM

It will be an interesting statistic to follow should they actually do the study and do it accurately and unbiased.

onesheep on March 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM

NativeTexan on March 1, 2014 at 8:05 PM

No open carry or concealed carry here without a CCW, which is incredibly difficult to get. Texas is sounding better and better, much like Arizona.

onesheep on March 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

So glad I live in a shall issue, right to work state. Y’all hang in there.

mike_NC9 on March 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

you got that right.

ProudinNC on March 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

So when the hell can we conceal carry in New York?

Right around the time you can get a carry permit in D.C.

Socratease on March 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM

So glad I live in a shall issue, right to work state. Y’all hang in there.

mike_NC9 on March 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Yup. AND no state income tax!!!!

ladyingray on March 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM

So glad I live in a shall issue, right to work state. Y’all hang in there.

mike_NC9 on March 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

you got that right.

ProudinNC on March 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

LOL No need to rub it in you two,.

onesheep on March 1, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Henry Hyde’s family will be a lot safer now despite Alec Baldwin having all that free time nowadays…

viking01 on March 1, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Violent crime just went down 8% in Chicago.

vnvet on March 1, 2014 at 8:06 PM

onesheep on March 1, 2014 at 8:10 PM

The crooked EPA soon will bemoan Eric Holder’s friends dying early from “lead poisoning.”

viking01 on March 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM

So when the hell can we conceal carry in New York?

Oh, and BISHOP!!

Maddie on March 1, 2014 at 7:11 PM

When hell and ice have children.

chewmeister on March 1, 2014 at 8:18 PM

s/b Eric Holders fellow crooked friends…

viking01 on March 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Still waiting for Maryland to make it easy to get a concealed carry permit.

NavyMustang on March 1, 2014 at 7:16 PM

With a 10% approval rate, I’m guessing they did.

chewmeister on March 1, 2014 at 8:23 PM

s/b Eric Holders fellow crooked friends…

viking01 on March 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM

One in the same, eh?

chewmeister on March 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM

And crime rates will plummet, and liberals will scratch their heads and wonder why.

John the Libertarian on March 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM

I never thought I’d live to see the day.

I wouldn’t get my hopes up. The Illinois, DNC power structure will come up with a way to make them regret getting them.

Dr. ZhivBlago on March 1, 2014 at 8:31 PM

onesheep on March 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

No open carry in Texas….one of the lovely results of Reconstruction

NativeTexan on March 1, 2014 at 8:32 PM

s/b Eric Holders fellow crooked friends…

viking01 on March 1, 2014 at 8:19 PM

One in the same, eh?

chewmeister on March 1, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Pretty much.

I just wanted to be clear (pun optional) that I was referencing Sleazy Eric’s gang buddies in Chicago and not anything the SS… I mean Secret Service might accidentally intentionally misinterpret.

viking01 on March 1, 2014 at 8:33 PM

All of those African Americans in the Concealed Carry course in Illinois are obviously Uncle Tom plants by the evil Koch brothers, to disguise the elitist, right wing racism of Concealed Carry laws.

And, global warming and evil Dick Cheney, or something.

orangemtl on March 1, 2014 at 8:34 PM

melle1228 on March 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Shouldn’t matter what color the state is. If your carry license was a gay marriage license the ACLU would file suit for you and all the libs would drive cross country to stand up and fight for your rights. You have a clearly stated Constitutional right to it. There is no where in the Constitution where it is stated people have a right to gay marriage. There is nowhere in the Constitution that states anyone has a right to not be offended either.
It’s gonna come up…it has to.

Mimzey on March 1, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Maybes these permits could be expedited to Ukraine!!
(sarc)

canopfor on March 1, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Always worked for Switzerland

WryTrvllr on March 1, 2014 at 8:57 PM

John the Libertarian on March 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM

you underestimate the power of delusion.

WryTrvllr on March 1, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Yeah, you’d think so, wouldn’t you? If state AGs were going to refuse to defend any law because it was obviously unconstitutional, you’d think it would be state laws against possessing firearms in public, since that’s a real individual right and not a made-up one.

Socratease on March 1, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I know a couple of them too. Its about time their rights were recognized by the asswipes of IL.

TX-96 on March 1, 2014 at 9:10 PM

HonestLib on March 1, 2014 at 8:07 PM

It looks a lot like the S&W M-60 with a 3″ barrel.

Solaratov on March 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM

It looks a lot like the S&W M-60 with a 3″ barrel.

Solaratov on March 1, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Thanks!

HonestLib on March 1, 2014 at 9:57 PM

onesheep on March 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

No open carry in Texas….one of the lovely results of Reconstruction

NativeTexan on March 1, 2014 at 8:32 PM

It’s why I love to visit Arizona, I can open carry there. :)

onesheep on March 1, 2014 at 9:58 PM

ShainS on March 1, 2014 at 7:19 PM

NEVER gonna happen. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on March 1, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Feel good story of the day

neyney on March 1, 2014 at 11:05 PM

As an Illinois resident I applaud the new law, especially since it came from a veto override. Gov. Quinn wanted tougher restrictions and magazine capacity limitations, but was shot down. In the last 2 years IL has gone death penalty free, enacted medical marijuana, legalized gay marriage and allow for not only CCP but had an overly Draconian ‘public display of a firearm’ felony struck down by the Illinois Supreme Court.

The liberal issues were enacted by the legislature, while the conservative ones were enacted through judicial review (activism) I can’t help but smile at the irony.

here_and_now on March 1, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Welcome to America!!

Those rules of where you can and can’t carry are insane, it almost as if you can’t carry at all. I live in CO and we can pretty much carry everywhere except for schools, federal property and any place that has a permanent metal detector (and places that post no firearms). I guess one step at a time.

tommer74 on March 2, 2014 at 12:34 AM

Shall issue, provided you complete the mandatory training.

SunSword on March 2, 2014 at 12:54 AM

I hope this is the beginning of the end of gang violence in Chicago’s South Side. It’s been going on for my entire lifetime, and I cannot imagine the despair of the good people there. Of course, the Daley Machine has been in existence for that entire time too, and I believe those two things are connected.

PattyJ on March 2, 2014 at 1:05 AM

I live in Nevada … a “shall issue” state. Several years ago, I attended an 8 hour class, consisting of shooting, gun handling, and lecture. Paid a fee, had a background check run by the police, got the “CCW” in the mail 3 weeks later.

The lecture was most instructive, and consisted of the various laws here in Nevada that will impact one who carries lawfully, and who pulls out a weapon to defend himself / herself or others. Still, the best lesson I learned was to follow the George Zimmerman case in Florida. Though the court ruled that he was within the law to pull his weapon and defend himself, look how disrupted his life has become. I’ve read about several others whose lives have become very disrupted … initial arrest, court, loss of job, unable to find a job because of the notoriety that follows them as it now follows George Zimmerman. This was a good part of the CCW class lecture, shown again & again in real life: your life will drastically change as soon as you pull your weapon out.

I still carry mine, absolutely. I’m ever more cautious because of what I’ve read about others.

majorzot on March 2, 2014 at 1:15 AM

onesheep on March 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

No open carry in Texas….one of the lovely results of Reconstruction

NativeTexan on March 1, 2014 at 8:32 PM

La Louisiane est ouvert portez ha ha ha

hurricane567 on March 2, 2014 at 3:47 AM

Feel good story of the day

neyney on March 1, 2014 at 11:05 PM

MJBrutus on March 2, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Reciprocity will be the last hill they die on.
NotCoach on March 1, 2014 at 7:26 PM

If red states are having blue state Sodomite Marriage reciprocity, then why aren’t blue states forced to recognize conceal carry reciprocity? Including those of the Constitutional Carry states.

ConstantineXI on March 2, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Illinois is a “shall” issue state.

Cpoy2 on March 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM

Just don’t throw any popcorn.

cimbri on March 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Just don’t throw any popcorn.

cimbri on March 2, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Yeah, because a retired cop with an attitude of untouchability might take a shot at you.

Because only cops and the military know how to safely handle guns.

CurtZHP on March 2, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Speaking as someone who applied the first day, I’ll go to my mailbox this week with a certain amount of both excitement and trepidation.

Excitement because this has long been a dream here in IL.

Trepidation because I’m certain that my name has been added to lists of “suspicious characters” throughout the state.

Hucklebuck on March 2, 2014 at 5:44 PM

slickwillie2001 on March 1, 2014 at 7:15 PM

One of the lesser known facts (Thanks Mainstream media)is the rapid increase in black concealed carry holders. Especially black women. It’s still a very low number but that demographic is growing quite rapidly.

mizflame98 on March 2, 2014 at 6:40 PM

onesheep on March 1, 2014 at 8:13 PM

No open carry in Texas….one of the lovely results of Reconstruction

NativeTexan on March 1, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Texas is pushing to get that turned around. Don’t know how successful they’ll be.

mizflame98 on March 2, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Mine should be in my mailbox right about now. I applied in the first 60 seconds the website was open.

ObamatheMessiah on March 3, 2014 at 5:54 PM