Could NY-23 Dem candiate have (gasp) lied about GOP cyberattack?

posted at 8:31 am on March 1, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

This is actually an update to a story which first broke last October and it takes place in upstate New York’s 23rd congressional district, currently represented by Republican Tom Reed. Democrat hopeful Martha Robertson is seeking to unseat Reed and has run into some tough sledding in terms of attracting donors and broad support. But last fall she appeared to have hit upon an idea to generate some sympathy (and cash) when she sent out the following fundraising e-mail. (Revealed by Professor Jacobson at Legal Insurrection.)

Martha-Robertson-fundraising-email-partial

Clearly that’s a pretty serious charge, and if either the Reed campaign or the local GOP were behind it, there would be serious repercussions. Robertson said that she would be hiring a a cyber-security firm to get to the bottom of it. But, as Moe Lane reports, Robertson’s interest in Finding The Real Hackers seems to have faded rather quickly.

Annnd how did that investigation go? Well, according to this FEC report for 4Q 2013, it didn’t go at all: if Robertson had an investigation done, it wasn’t paid for by the campaign. Now, I am not an expert on this sort of thing, but as I understand the rules involving a FEC Form 3: Schedule B is for the reporting of all disbursements to vendors for campaign-related work. That there is no listing there for a cyber-security investigation seems very interesting. Almost as interesting? The fact that the campaign has been ducking this question since at least December.

Shortly after the story came out and began to be vetted, Jacobson reports that he reached out to the Reed campaign regarding the rather sizable fundraising hit which Robertson received on the heels of that accusation. They responded.

Clearly there are questions surrounding this email that the authorities need to investigate. Meanwhile, Martha Robertson needs to return the money she raised through this deceptive email. Her campaign raised over $30,000 on September 30. That money should be returned and she should apologize both to her supporters and to the voters.

And yet there has been no offer from Ms. Robertson to refund the donations and she has little or nothing more to say about her seemingly unfounded accusations against the local branch of the GOP. For their part, Don Leonard (chair of the Tioga County GOP Committee) has been in touch with the FBI and the U.S. Attorney’s Office to find out what, if any, laws may have been broken during the course of this dubious exercise.

To close with a bit of full disclosure, I have never been on the staff of Tom Reed or served him in any capacity, but I do know him and worked a few campaign stops with him during the 2010 elections. He used to be the Mayor of Corning, is a great guy and has been a real asset to the area. I also have done a few local events with Don Leonard, a long time fixture in GOP politics in this area, and I can tell you that he’s a level headed, reliable guy who is not prone to crazy, set your hair on fire diatribes. If he sees enough smoke off of this event to take action, you can bet there’s probably some fire there. Of course, this is the same campaign that kicked off their first fundraiser by featuring a convicted child molester

Comments

the coalition of the ascendent in all its glory

rob verdi on March 1, 2014 at 8:33 AM

If progressives didn’t lie, they wouldn’t have anything to say at all.

Rebar on March 1, 2014 at 8:37 AM

By cyber attack, she means that someone criticized her on the internet, right?

trubble on March 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Probably gets her campaign advice from Harry Reid. Something to the affect ‘You don’t have to worry if the accusation is totally false. The MSM won’t check on it. Just ask the president. He gets away with it all the time.’

GarandFan on March 1, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Ah yes, the typical ethics of the left: when all else fails, make shit up.

After all, we’ve been told that lying to support climate change legislation is A-Okay, so why not this?

Stoic Patriot on March 1, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Peter Yarrow, Woody Allen, Roman Polanski. Apparently, if the left likes your art enough everything’s forgiven. Meanwhile Mark Sanford and Chris Christie are history’s greatest monsters.

rbj on March 1, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Maybe it’s the one armed fugitive that hacked Wiener’s emails.

Flange on March 1, 2014 at 8:57 AM

The left would LIE about their opposition to gain power?

I must say, I am shocked…. SHOCKED!!!!!

Oh, by the way, speaking of lies and slander, check out this unhinged headline (and equally unhinged article) from Yahoo news today.

UltimateBob on March 1, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Jazz, I’m never one to critique the content of an article. I get most of your stuff. But without actually clicking the hot link in reference to Peter Yarrow this last paragraph …

If he sees enough smoke off of this event to take action, you can bet there’s probably some fire there. Of course, this is the same campaign that kicked off their first fundraiser by featuring a convicted child molester…

Could be mistaken for Reed’s campaign using a convicted child molester.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:05 AM

…we need a lying law!

KOOLAID2 on March 1, 2014 at 9:08 AM

…we need a lying law!

KOOLAID2 on March 1, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I like the idea that all government employees should be considered under oath the moment they take office and every lie they tell should be considered perjury and punished accordingly.

Flange on March 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM

just because an investigation wasn’t done doesn’t mean her website wasn’t sabotaged

I mean, can she even afford a cyberspecialist?

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM

The news will never stick it’s teeth into a juicy career wreaking story on a fellow liberal. Ain’t gonna happen.

We have a US Senator that said he served in Viet Nam and a former Senator and SecSTATE who said she was shot at by snipers on the tarmac in a Bosnian airport.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Maybe he could put out a fund rising call saying she changed the spelling of her last name from Reid to Reed. A dem who lied, what a novel idea.

Kissmygrits on March 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM

I mean, can she even afford a cyberspecialist?

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Just because she won’t talk about it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen either/

I mean, can you even afford a brain?

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Another OJ Simpson

theblacksheepwasright on March 1, 2014 at 9:15 AM

Jazz Shaw on March 1, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Unfortunate choice of word there, Jazz.

listens2glenn on March 1, 2014 at 9:15 AM

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Just because she won’t talk about it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen either/

I mean, can you even afford a brain?

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Hey nonpartisan, I’m going to apologize here. I don’t have any right submit a mean comment like this just because you’ve posted another incredibly stupid comment. Please forgive me?

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I mean, can she even afford a cyberspecialist?

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Just because she won’t talk about it doesn’t mean it didn’t happen either/

I mean, can you even afford a brain?

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:13 AM

You and Jazz have made my morning . . . : )

listens2glenn on March 1, 2014 at 9:19 AM

“to” submit a mean comment

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:19 AM

I mean, can she even afford a cyberspecialist?

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Agreed. Something got into my trash cans last night, there’s garbage all over the drive, and I’m pretty sure it was you. I can’t prove it but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t you.

Bishop on March 1, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Will Representative Peters report her to FCC for using telecommunications lines to spread a lie? Nope. Blue on blue.

blammm on March 1, 2014 at 9:23 AM

And here’s the question you need to answer:

The Robertson people knew right away that their website had been hacked and it was the “GOP” which did the hacking, but months later they don’t have a clue.

Reminds me of a burning embassy and a YouTube vid.

Bishop on March 1, 2014 at 9:23 AM

Bishop on March 1, 2014 at 9:20 AM

did the GOP ops ever deny it though? I’m not saying I believe her btw

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:24 AM

It’s the seriousness of the charge that matters

Brock Robamney on March 1, 2014 at 9:25 AM

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Holy balls … you just won’t quit . . . . . you “meanie”.

listens2glenn on March 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Bishop on March 1, 2014 at 9:20 AM

You didn’t leave a hot link so we could make your clean driveway project spike.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Has all the earmarks of the typical, sleazy and corrupt campaign shenanigans perfected by Progressive campaigns.

vnvet on March 1, 2014 at 9:28 AM

…we need a lying law!

KOOLAID2 on March 1, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Oh, hell noes. If we had a lying law then NOBODY would be qualified to serve in Congress or as UrkelOTUS!

Key West Reader on March 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM

did the GOP ops ever deny it though?
nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:24 AM

They responded.

Don’t make me take my apology back for saying you can’t afford a brain.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM

did the GOP ops ever deny it though? I’m not saying I believe her btw

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Ah yes, the old “So, political opponent, why do you smack your wife around?”

“WHAT? I don’t smack my wife around!”

“Maybe, maybe not, I just heard a rumor, that’s all.”

Bishop on March 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I’ve never seen Harry Reed deny he’s a child molester. Those rumors must be true.

Flange on March 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Bishop on March 1, 2014 at 9:20 AM

You didn’t leave a hot link so we could make your clean driveway project spike.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM

THAT’S IT . . . . . “overload” going on, here . . . gotta stop reading, for a bit.

listens2glenn on March 1, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Flange on March 1, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I’ve never seen nonpartisan deny she raided Bishop’s trash cans and make a mess in his driveway yet either. I’m not saying I believe him btw

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:32 AM

There are paw prints all over the snow.

Nonpee, would you please remove your shoes and prove you have human feet, unless and until you do I can’t help but believe that you have paws.

Bishop on March 1, 2014 at 9:35 AM

…we need a lying law!

KOOLAID2 on March 1, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Flange on March 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Maybe one day google or somebody will invent brain implants to detect lying. Then we can hook up our politicians with a collar similar to a dog’s electric fence. Their speeches would be great physical comedy.

Fenris on March 1, 2014 at 9:35 AM

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:32 AM

LMAO! She was making an “uncontested arrival” in his driveway rummaging around for bacon and credit card data.

Key West Reader on March 1, 2014 at 9:36 AM

listens2glenn on March 1, 2014 at 9:27 AM

Whaaat? I totally apologized to her.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Everyone should send me a cool grand to help me right this wrong, and six months from now, long after the garbage has been cleaned up, I’ll demur from answering any questions about who or what got into my trash cans.

But I will let you admire my new ‘Vette.

Bishop on March 1, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Perhaps she should hire the same cyberspecialist “Carlos Danger” hired.

LtGenRob on March 1, 2014 at 9:42 AM

I’ll never understand the cognitive dissonance of the libtatd mind. How do they expect immoral, devoid of character, lying reprobates to govern honestly, with integrity, or within the bounds of law.

Murphy9 on March 1, 2014 at 9:49 AM

And, like most Democratic women, Martha Robertson is fugly.

bw222 on March 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM

bw222 on March 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM

what an obnoxious, classless, and ignorant comment

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:54 AM

And, like most Democratic women, Martha Robertson is fugly.

bw222 on March 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Sure her name isn’t Murtha Robertson?

davidk on March 1, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Just more GOP war on women.

Let it burn.

Neo on March 1, 2014 at 9:57 AM

bw222 on March 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM

what an obnoxious, classless, and ignorant comment

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:54 AM

Paws or feet, fess up!

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 9:57 AM

bw222 on March 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM

what an obnoxious, classless, and ignorant comment

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:54 AM

And if anyone knows obnoxious, classless, and ignorant comments, it’s you.

davidk on March 1, 2014 at 9:58 AM

And, like most Democratic women, Martha Robertson is fugly.

bw222 on March 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM

That’s what happens when people embrace evil. The ugliness of their true self comes out. The truth is, as ugly as their appearance is, they are far uglier underneath. Don’t forget, they embrace killing their own babies, and baby killers are as ugly as a person can get.

Flange on March 1, 2014 at 9:58 AM

did the GOP ops ever deny it though? I’m not saying I believe her btw

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Perhaps, as a Harvard Law grad, you could explain the all of the legal aspects of this incident to us.

NotCoach on March 1, 2014 at 9:59 AM

did the GOP ops ever deny it though? I’m not saying I believe her btw

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Ah yes, the old “So, political opponent, why do you smack your wife around?”

“WHAT? I don’t smack my wife around!”

“Maybe, maybe not, I just heard a rumor, that’s all.”

Bishop on March 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Worked for (alleged pedophile) Harry Reid when he said someone told him that Romney cheated on his taxes.

davidk on March 1, 2014 at 10:02 AM

And, like most Democratic women, Martha Robertson is fugly.

bw222 on March 1, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Flange on March 1, 2014 at 9:58 AM

davidk on March 1, 2014 at 10:04 AM

why are ppl bringing abortion into this thread? why are you guys so obsessed with abortion? its a losing issue…

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Murphy9 on March 1, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Interesting comment you put up after just coming back from reading the linked sites Jazz provided. There’s a local CBS news video on the Legal Insurrection page where the anchor claims Robertson provided “proof” that the site had been hacked nine times. When you go to any link on LI or other pages, none of the links for the claimed proof work.

So, why do they do it? The Media is one answer.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 10:08 AM

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Texas.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Happy Nomad on August 27, 2013 at 8:41 PM

why don’t you stop patronizing women and let them decide for themselves what to do with their body. kapish?

nonpartisan on August 27, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Harvard.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 10:12 AM

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 10:07 AM

It sure is for the baby.

davidk on March 1, 2014 at 10:31 AM

It sure is for the baby.

davidk on March 1, 2014 at 10:31 AM

you mean fetus…

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM

It sure is for the baby.

davidk on March 1, 2014 at 10:31 AM

you mean fetus…

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I mean this: http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608035878752487850&pid=1.9&m=&w=300&h=300&p=0

davidk on March 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Remember folks it was in an abortion thread (Gosnell) where we learned what nonpartisan really thinks of black people:

I hate to say it, but while what gosnell did was morally wrong, ultimately it was probably a net positive in terms of societal costs

nonpartisan on May 3, 2013 at 11:01 AM

those babies would’ve been born into households that don’t want them

the parents would’ve likely applied for welfare, etc and sucked up taxpayer money

think about it, the tsarnaevs used $100k of taxpayer money…wouldn’t the world have been much better had the tsarnaev brothers just been aborted at birth

nonpartisan on May 3, 2013 at 11:08 AM

slickwillie2001 on March 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM

what an obnoxious, classless, and ignorant comment

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:54 AM

But, woefully true.

Solaratov on March 1, 2014 at 11:31 AM

non-partisan …once again: Prove your IQ higher than 77. Embarrassing.

CWchangedhisNicagain on March 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM

you mean fetus…

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Your lucky your mother did not terminate you when you were a fetus. For us, we’re even luckier. You remind us daily just how smart our 8 year olds are compared to a wannabe Harvard grad.

CWchangedhisNicagain on March 1, 2014 at 11:38 AM

davidk on March 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Preach it brother.

hawkdriver on March 1, 2014 at 12:07 PM

-Jazz Shaw

Whenever I hear “moderates” trying to reassure us about a candidate with terms like “reasonable” or “sane,” it sounds to me like: “I can personally vouch for his bland RINOism. Don’t worry, guys, he’s not one of those types.”

bluegill on March 1, 2014 at 12:10 PM

davidk on March 1, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Isn’t it now SOP?

This isn’t all that different from OFA or the DNC fundraising on the canard that House Republicans are organizing impeachment efforts against the President which started last year.

SOP for the progressives today is embracing ‘the ends justifies the means’ – so they are granting themselves carte blanche to say or do whatever they need to do to obtain and retain the power they covet.

Athos on March 1, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Only the GOP can commit campaign violations.
It’s because of all that foreign-owned corporate, secret-donor, campaign funding that will be exposed with the IRS’ new 501(c)4 regulations.

Another Drew on March 1, 2014 at 12:13 PM

She lied. Like Harry Reid lied. Like Obama lies. Truth doesn’t exist for these people. It simply doesn’t exist. All they see is the prize of political opportunity. It’s not so much an addiction (something remediable) as a genetic condition. Do they have any internal moral debate, any struggle with conscience? Where is the evidence of any?

rrpjr on March 1, 2014 at 12:15 PM

slickwillie2001 on March 1, 2014 at 11:13 AM

There is one consistency with the deranged totalitarian left that dates back to their Jacobin roots – their preferred solutions always seem to involve terminating lives ‘to make the world a better place’ with ‘a better place’ being defined by them.

Think of Bill Ayers, one of the founders of the terrorist group Weather Underground, and a mentor of Barack Obama. As reported by an undercover FBI agent who infiltrated the group…

“The thing the most bone chilling thing Bill Ayers said to me was that after the revolution succeeded and the government was overthrown, they believed they would have to eliminate 25 million Americans who would not conform to the new order,” said Larry Grathwohl, a former FBI agent.

Athos on March 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM

She figured since Breitbart is dead, she could pull a Weiner.

Rusty Nail on March 1, 2014 at 12:42 PM

If accusing her GOP challenger of cyber-hacking doesn’t work, maybe she could try vandalizing her own car with racial slurs or e-mail herself a rape threat. You know, like all the other liberals do.

Maddie on March 1, 2014 at 1:32 PM

I mean, can she even afford a cyberspecialist?

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM

…you just get dumber!…how is that possible?

KOOLAID2 on March 1, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Ridiculous headline–Dems never lie! That’s a fact Jack….

Don L on March 1, 2014 at 2:13 PM

Just like OJ ‘s interest in finding the real murderer?

Don L on March 1, 2014 at 2:20 PM

nonpartisan on March 1, 2014 at 9:11 AM

…you just get dumber!…how is that possible?

KOOLAID2 on March 1, 2014 at 1:48 PM

Okay … I’m back . . . . . but still laughing (a little) … from this morning.

‘partisan, I really do try … I do … to give you credit for being “genuine”.

In other words, you were not trying to be ‘comical’ this morning, with your 9:11 AM comment. You didn’t plot and plan as to what you could say, that would give us the most laughter.
You ‘just exactly’ said, what you ‘just exactly’ meant.

But knowing this on my part, only adds to the ‘hilarity factor’.

No disrespect meant.

listens2glenn on March 1, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I mean, can she even afford a cyberspecialist?

nonpartisan

‘Cyberspecialist’

You’re a funny one.

chimney sweep on March 1, 2014 at 4:07 PM

kapish?

nonpartisan

You’re well on your way to a whole new language.

chimney sweep on March 1, 2014 at 4:09 PM

Maybe it was…oh, I don’t know…Satan!

claudius on March 2, 2014 at 3:54 AM

She probably keyed her own car and blamed it on Tom Reed.

NoPain on March 3, 2014 at 8:15 AM