Yanukovich: I fled Ukraine for fear of my life

posted at 10:01 am on February 28, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

After days of mystery, deposed Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovich emerged today in the Russia city of Rostov-on-Don to hold a press conference. Yanukovich declared himself the legitimate head of state for Ukraine, and told journalists that he fled his own country for fear of his life. He demanded to return under secure circumstances so that he could resume his term of office — but that Russia needs to stay out of the conflict:

Appearing in public for the first time since he left his nation’s capital earlier this week, ousted Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych told reporters in Russia on Friday that he is “eager and ready to fight for the future of Ukraine.” …

Yanukovych vowed to return to Ukraine “as soon as there will be a guarantee for my safety and the security of my family.”

But Yanukovych, according to an English translation aired by the BBC and other news outlets, decried those who he said are using “terror and fear” to rule Ukraine and who he said forced him to flee even though he had agreed to a play for new elections later this year. He referred to his toppling as “banditry and a coup.”

Last weekend’s “circus in the parliament,” Yanukovych claimed, did not lead to his legal removal from office. “I cannot call it impeachment,” he said, “and I cannot recognize it and I will not recognize it, ever.”

Yanukovich faces charges for mass murder if he returns to Ukraine, after the killings of 88 unarmed protesters in Kyiv. He rejects those charges.

“I never gave orders for the police to shoot,” Mr Yanukovych says. But police have the right to self-defence, he adds.

The BBC said this led to “derisive laughter” from crowds gathering on Independence Square to listen to his remarks.

Yanukovich insisted that he would not call for any outside intervention … at least, not military intervention. “I am categorically opposed to an invasion of Ukraine and the violation of its integrity,” he said, and urged Crimeans to remain calm and part of Ukraine. “Ukraine should be a single, united country.” On the other hand, Yanukovich declared himself “astonished” at the lack of reaction from Vladimir Putin over his ouster. “Knowing the character of Vladimir Putin, I am astonished that he is still keeping quiet with such restraint.”

Most of us assume that the quiet part is cover for other actions, as most of the world knows the character of Vladimir Putin, too. We’re seeing it in Crimea at the moment, where Russian special forces are now surrounding a Coast Guard base to keep locals from seizing weapons and taking back their airports:

Around 30 Russian marines surrounded the coast guard base in the Crimean city of Sevastopol on Friday, according to a statement by the Ukraine’s state border guard.

The statement, reported by The Associated Press, said the marines were paratroopers from the 810th brigade of Russia’s Black Sea fleet and quoted them as saying they were there to prevent extremists seizing the base’s weapons.

While Yanukovich insists that the criminal charges against him in Ukraine are unmerited, that’s not the only country where he has legal problems. Switzerland froze his assets, as well as those of his son Oleksander and 18 other Ukrainians connected to him:

The Swiss financial regulator FINMA says the assets of Ukraine’s ousted President Viktor Yanukovich, his son Oleksander, and 18 other Ukrainians have been frozen.The assets were blocked as of 12:00 CET on Friday. …

Included on this list is Mykola Azarov, the former Prime Minister who resigned from his post in January.

Banks now “have a due diligence requirement” to cooperate with the order to cut off access to any funds Yanukovich or the other listed 19 people may hold in Switzerland.

The Swiss have also opened a probe of Yanukovich after allegations of money laundering:

Separately, on Thursday prosecutors in Geneva began a investigation into Yanukovich and money laundering . Prosecutors have searched the office of his son Oleksander and seized documents.

“A penal investigation for severe money laundering is currently being conducted in Geneva against Viktor Yanukovich and his son Oleksander,” the prosecutor’s office said in a statement, Friday.

Gee, I wonder who his client might have been, if the allegations turn out to be true?

Comments

Goons on Goons sumpin!!!

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 10:03 AM

HA should focus more on similar events in Venezuela, for any number of reasons.

Akzed on February 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Russia will do what they want. It’s not not like Obama will do anything about it. Just look at the XL pipeline. 5 years and no decision. Freaking Ukraine will be gone 3 years before the Bozo even notices, much less do anything.

Wino on February 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Russia will do what they want. It’s not not like Obama will do anything about it. Wino on February 28, 2014 at 10:04 AM

What exactly should he do?

Akzed on February 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM

RT ‏@RT_com 1h

Yanukovich: Russia must act, I’m surprised why Putin still silent on the matter – ON AIR NOW http://youtu.be/ZxI7d5aaZ_M #Ukraine

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Shocker.

Ukraine claims they have retaken the airports seized by the Russians.

I agree with Steve Eggleston (sp?) this will get out of control.

dogsoldier on February 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM

RT ‏@RT_com 1h

Yanukovich: I didn’t flee, but I was exposed to gunfire in #Kiev – WATCH LIVE here: http://youtu.be/ZxI7d5aaZ_M #Ukraine

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM

“ousted Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych”
“deposed Ukrainian president Viktor Yanukovich”

try instead ..

criminal Viktor Yanukovich

J_Crater on February 28, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I wonder if it was Organizing For Ukraine,..er,..America Operation!
(sarc)

RT ‏@RT_com 1h

#YANUKOVICH: West initiated this crisis. They backed Maidan, and they have to take full responsibility. WATCH LIVE http://youtu.be/ZxI7d5aaZ_M

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 10:06 AM

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 10:10 AM

No, you left the country because you were going to be arrested for ordering the killing of nearly 100 unarmed protestors.

albill on February 28, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Stalling.

Putin is maneuvering for partition…at least in the short run. He ain’t gonna give up the Black Sea.

The EU will end up encouraging the Ukrainians to split…because Stability…

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM

dogsoldier on February 28, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Hmm. Would the Ruskies fire on anyone attempting to retake these airports? If this is true I think maybe they are being told to hold their fire for now.

NotCoach on February 28, 2014 at 10:14 AM

“A penal investigation for severe money laundering is currently being conducted in Geneva against Viktor Yanukovich and his son Oleksander,” the prosecutor’s office said in a statement, Friday.

Total dollars in US aid to Ukraine since it’s independence: $3,000,000,000.00

Your welcome Vik.

– the American taxpayers

fogw on February 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Yeah, as I posted on the other thread. Yanukovich may say he is the legitimate head of state but the power is with whoever is running things and that definitely isn’t Yanukovich!

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Unfortunately millions of Ukrainians fear for their futures and their lives because of you, Mr. Yanukovic, and can’t get out.

vityas on February 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM

John Kerry says that Yakunovich had personally raped, cut off ears, cut off heads, taped wires from portable telephones to human genitals and turned up the power, cut off limbs, blown up bodies, randomly shot at civilians, razed villages in fashion reminiscent of Genghis Khan, and shot cattle and dogs for fun.

faraway on February 28, 2014 at 10:17 AM

vityas on February 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Just wait until the ethnic/religious cleansing starts. Ukraine will resemble Bosnia.

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 10:17 AM

NotCoach on February 28, 2014 at 10:14 AM

There are reports like the one below that Ukraine retook the airports:

National Security and Defence Council chief Andriy Parubiy later told reporters that security forces had successfully retaken control of the sites.

dogsoldier on February 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM

vityas on February 28, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Maybe…But I think it’s more likely they’ll partition.

Then Obama can claim credit and beat Israel over the head with it.

But seriously…Putin isn’t gonna let go of his Black Sea Gas line.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 10:15 AM

He can say what he wants, but he can’t ignore the fact he was impeached and now the parliament wants him arrested for murder. Putin won’t stick his neck out for this guy and he won’t do anything provocative if he doesn’t have to.

dogsoldier on February 28, 2014 at 10:24 AM

If the Russians don’t like the new guy, they will just poison them.

Oil Can on February 28, 2014 at 10:24 AM

KyivPost ‏@KyivPost 36m

#Yanukovych says he didn’t run anywhere, didn’t give order to shoot (FULL PRESSER TRANSCRIPT) http://www.kyivpost.com/content/politics/combative-yanukovych-says-he-didnt-run-anywhere-didnt-give-any-order-to-shoot-337946.html … pic.twitter.com/T0fVbyIEI8
=========================================

Editor’s Note: Ousted Ukrainian President Viktor Yanukovych gave a live news conference from exile in Rostov-na-Don, Russia. The following is an unofficial translation from the Kyiv Post.

Ukraine seized by ‘pro-fascist activists’

“Dear journalists.

“It is time for me to say that I’m going to continue fighting for Ukraine’s future against those who try to conquer it with fear and terror. I was forced to leave Ukraine because of immediate threat to my life and the lives of people close to me.

“The power was taken in Ukraine by pro-nationalist youths, who represent an absolute minority.

“As you know, Ukraine was seized by pro-fascist activists.

“They violated what was agreed with participation of the foreign ministers of Germany, France and Poland and represenatives of the Russian Federation.

“The immediate agreement that would balance out all power branches, i.e., the president, the cabinet and parliament, then hold an election in December 2014 for president and the approval of a new constitution.

“It is very important to have an unbiased investigation of all the violence under the guidance of a United Nations council, also give up all weapons and unblock all street squares.

“The armed people have to leave the streets both in Kyiv and other regions of Ukraine.

“Ukrainian should be provided with normal life, in Kyiv as well as in other regions.

Blames crisis on ‘irresponsible policy of the West’

“It will be difficult to exit this tough crisis and turbulence that the country is going through as the result of it. It’s a result of the irresponsible policy of the West that encouraged Maidan (protests). Ukraine is a strong country and we wil overcome this. I also suggest to conduct a national referendum on most important issues.

“These issues have to be the most important aspects of nation governance, unconditionally the cosntituion.

Q: “Yesterday in your statement you said the the agreement was not fullfiled. What are they reasons for such a statement?

“The agreement that was suposed to regulate the crisis envisages it will be fulfilled by both sides.

“I believed in the decency of international mediators. This agreement was quite controversial and complex. I signed it and so did the representaves of the opposition and delegations from abroad.

“The radical forces that were represented on Maidan, and not only on Maidan. I (demanded them to) disarm and free all conquered territories. It was not fulfilled.

“And as a result, Kyiv was overwhelmed with armed people who attacked houses, churches … people were robbed in the streets, and it continues to this day.

“The agreement gave us some hope. Innocent people were beaten and robbed, and it still continues. About what happened next is difficult to describe.

“It’s chaos, terror. The decisions taken by parliament with deputies who were assaulted, pressure, thrown rocks at. Deputies were dragged to Maidan to swear in front of people. They were literally dragged on Maidan to give oaths. This is not the work of parliament, this is the work of Maidan. The decisions taken by parliament with deputies who were assaulted, pressure, thrown rocks at.

“This was supposed to be a government of national unity we agreed on.

“But it’s hard to describe how the government is formed. They called their government the government of winners. The win over people?

“By the names who have been heard all over the world: (Dmytro) Yarosh, (Oleksandr) Parubiy, (Oleh) Tiahnybok. People who propagated violance. They are known all over the world, and Israel is in horror from it.

“I consider the parliament illegitimate.

“If the agreement had been fulfilled it could have calmed down the situation and started to regulate the political ciris, it was the start of the dead end where radicals took us. When the Constitutional Court is ruined, the country gets ruined as well, and we can’t let this happen.

“Not only in Ukraine, but in the whole world when the Constitutional Court is destroyed, the statehood is destroyed.

Q: Are you ashamed of anything?

“I would like to say sorry to the veterans, to the Ukrainian people that I did not have the power to stop the chaos that is happening in Ukraine right now. First of all, I have to say I did not run, I moved from Kyiv to the city of Kharkiv. During my move I was shot at from automatic weapons. The car that covered me was effectively shot at from all sides.”

Q: “Why did you left the country the next day that you signed the agreement, why didn’t you ask European leaders for help?”

“I was not leaving alone, and did not run.

“I wanted to meet with activists of the Party of Regions and civic organizations at the forum that was supposed to be held in Kharkiv.

“We did arrive late there. When we came to Kharkiv, early in the morning Feb. 22, the Security Service received information that the radical groups are coming to the city.

“There was no fear, none, these were security contitions that had to be envisaged and kept. To manage security is not my job, i took a decision. With me was speaker Voldoymyr Rybak and presidential chief of staff Andriy Klyuyev. Klyuyev and Rybak were with me.

“I asked them to fly to Donetsk and assemble the activists and tell everything that happened to us and what was happening in Kyiv.

“And I took a decision to go to Lugansk by two helicopters.

“The air traffic service warned us that if we do not turn from the course which they assume was going to Russia.

“The pilots decided to land in Donetsk. The pilots who are law-abiding citizens took a decion to land in Donetsk. I moved by car motorway to Donetsk. At the end ,we arrived to Crimea late in the evening.

“But my new plans were ruined by security threats. I got calls from my family that even my youngest grandson was in list that was to be lustrated. My son called me and said he could not risk in this situation.

Q: Why we are in Rostov? Pleace comment on the situation in Crimea.

A: “I came to find temrporary shelter with him. I think everything that happens in crime is a natural reaction to the bandit takeover in Kyiv. It was a bandit coup actually. It was done by a handful radicals. Naturally the Crimeans will not obey nationalists and (Stepan Bandera, 1909-1959) Banderites. It’s natural, the desire of Crimeans to join the self-defense. They want to protect their houses and their families. I think Crimeans are listening to me, i would like to ask them to not allow bloodshed.

“As the legitimate president of Ukraine, I would like to to ask them to remember that Crimea has to stay within Ukraine as a broad autonomy. Crimeans want to protect their homes and families. I ask Crimeans to prevent bloodshed and arguements. As president, Crimea should stay within Ukrainian borders, with wide autonomy.

“I think that in any military action in this situation is inadmissible. And i am not planning to turn for military support. I think Ukraine should stay united. I will return to Ukraine as soon as the conditions of my security and the security of my family are observed.

Q: How did you get to Russia? Have you met with Putin?

“In Russia, I arrived thanks to the patriotic officers who performed their duty and helped me save my life. Second, i have not met with Vladimir Vladimorovych Putin. I have not, after arriving to the territory of Russia. We spoke on the phone. We agreed that as soon as the Russian president has an opportunity to meet with me, we shall meet. I said it wasn’t just cheated, I was cynically cheated.

“But it’s not just me, it’s the whole Ukrainian people. I would like to hear an answer from those who signed and were effectively guarantors. I did not hear any suggestions and there was no communication, and i did not see in media any calls on their behalf to show how to solve it. i think this would not be enough. We should meet and discuss, this issue is not yet off agenda.”

Q: Why did the Party of Regions split?

I am not a judge, let the God judge you, who behaves how, and i am not condemning those people who were forced under the automatics rifles – this is not an exaggerration – forces to take certain decisiosn, and their familiers,when their houses were burned. I talked to some of these deputies over the phone. What i heard from them was horrible. I will pray to God that the new so-called power will stop the violence thats going on.

Q: What’s the reason for nearly default situation in Ukraine? Are you going to take part in the election?

“The pre-default state, not a single expert will deny that this state arose after the situation in Ukraine was destablilized and Ukraine lost such a partner in trade as Russia. We paid salaries regularly, and we intended to continue to raise social payments. The whole population knows it. We guaranteed that all these programs would be fulfilled. Of course we prepared for the 2015 election and tried to persuade the population that it’s’ best to live in a stable country. Our support was the highest among all parties in Ukraine. People believed it. I am placing full repsonsibility on those who led to chaos and catastrophe. Those who cam to power and those who command on Maidan, including the representatives of the West who blessed Maidan.

“The election is not legal, and I will not take part in it. I think all elections have to happen in accordance with law and constitution. The USA representatives who followed Maidan, they are responsible to Ukrainians.”

Q: Are you going to continue your political career? How are you going to fight for Ukraine?

“As soon as I have a real opportunity and conditions are created and guarantees of my security, including from international mediators, I will immediately go to Ukraine. I can see the way to regulate the crisis.

“Primarily it’s the agreement that was signed and not fulfilled on one side. The non-fulfillment of this agreement is fully to blame on the West, hich sent envoys, agreed on all conditions, and discussed all clases at the council that gathered on that day in Brussels.

“I don’t think there is a single person in this hall who would derive pleasure from what’a going on in Kyiv. You understand my condition and the condition of my like-minded people and the people who suffer as a result of terror and chaos in the country. I have addressed and would like to address again all participants.

‘It’s not too late to go back’

“I reject what’s going on, these methods. It’s not too late to return along with your patrons from the West. It’s not too late to go back. I met with the Berkut (riot police offiers ) who stood there, and i apologized to them, without weapons and they had Molotov cocktails fired at them, and were attacked with guns.”

Q: What do you think about ex-Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko’s release from prison on Feb. 22 Would you like to apologize to the Berkut (riot police officers) who protected you with their bodies?

“I would like to apologize to them again. I don’t know about Yulia Tymoshenko. I don’t know if she will run for election and the Ukrainian people are to answer. As far as her criminal case goes, she was sentenced by court, the court took decisions. Her conditions were exclusive. Her freeing is an issue that is in legal sphere primarily. How she was freed i have never wished her any bad. But the (2009) agreement she signed (with Russia about the price of natural gas imports) led to more than $20 billion in losses. She know that very well.

“The West and actually the president of Russia Vladimir Putin expressed a different point of view from that of the court, and my position is that it’s their own business but the Ukrainian court answered that question. I am repeating with facts.

Q: How can you prove that you are the real president of Ukraine?

“The laws that were approved by violence in parliament. I do not recognize and will never recognize. I did not sign them and they will not work. This is the legal fact. If the president did not resign, according to constitution, if he is alive – and as you can see i am alive – and if he was not impeached, he is still acting president. The show in parliaent, with violence against deputies, i cannot recognize and will never recognize.”

Q: What is the role of Russia in this conflict?

“I think Russia [Editor's Note: He mistakenly said Ukraine] is our strategic partner. The agreements between Ukraine and Russia, within the framework of those agreements Russia has a right to act. I think Russia must act, and knowing the character of Vladimir Vladimorich Putin, I am surprised that he is so restrained and silent. Those agreements we have with Russia, Russia has a right to act. We conducted official negotiations with representativs of the opposition.

Q: Do you regret conducting negotiations with Maidan representatives?

“The rest of negotiations on the human level with any representatives of Maidan, civic organizarions, there were a lot of them, and they were all directed to prevent bloodshed and finding a compromise. I regret that in this way, peacefully we could not regulate. I am not accepting any way of regulating the issues, except peaceful. No power is worth a drop of bloodshed. This is all on consciouness of those people who shot.

‘I never gave orders to shoot’

“I never gave orders to shoot. As you know the police were not armed until the last moment when they were attacked. And as you know they protect themselves with arms under the law. I am remembering 2004, when the situation was similar, when my supporters arrived to the railway station, and on Maidan there were Orange Revolution people.

“I told them your mothers, your wives will never forgive you if there are deaths and if there is bloodshed. The rest of negotiations on the human level with any representatives of Maidan, civic organizations. There were a lot of them, and they were all directed to prevent bloodshed and finding a compromise.

“As far as The Hague is concerned, my point of view is that first there has to be an independent investigation, with participartion of power and opposition, with participation of the Council of Europe. After an investigation we can talk about courts. I would prefer not to answer these questions. I am often provoked.

‘The truth will be known’

“I will tell you that time will pass and the truth will be known. Now there is a theater performance with the participation of militants and their patrons.”

Mezhyhirya ‘too old, I had to repair it’

“The power changed, and they tried to remove me. There was an offer to buy it. I paid. That house was too old, I had to repair it. Then there was a decision for me to buy it. I paid $3,200,000. The rest does not belong to me. Part of the premises i rented to fulfill my duties as a president. This is a campaign to discredit. I have never had any property. I have never had any foreign account. There are real owners, you will hear from them, and international lawysers will be going to court,because this property is not under Ukrainian ownership.

‘Stop or you will be held responsible’

“I am a public person. Evrything I had was declared and was on my accounts and when they say my son owns it, I have never heard it. This is empty bell-ringing. I would like to say again to come back to their senses and stop or you will be held responsible…

“I would like to again address those who call themselves legal power. I would like to say leave and do not allow more lawlessness and grief for the Ukrainian people. I would like to address the Ukrainian people. I would like to apologize to everyone who has suffered and continues to suffer. I will do whatever I can do.

Disavows ‘scum, nationalists and Banderites’

I will keep going to be with people of Ukraine, not the scum, nationalists and Banderites [Editor's Note: Reference to Stepan Bandera, 1909-1959, a Ukrainian nationalist leader who is an iconic nationalist to his supporters and reviled by his critics for allegedly sympathizing with the Nazis during World War II.]

“If was in Ukraine. I would bow to every one of them and meet with every family, regardless of the side. The lives of people have always be most important to me. The truth will eventually come out.”

END OF UNOFFICIAL TRANSCRIPT, TRANSLATION – KYIV TIME 17:20

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Sadly a civil war is looking more and more likely.

SC.Charlie on February 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Putin isn’t going to give up the bases for the Black Sea fleet. I suspect sooner rather than later he’ll be “forced” into a protective intervention to ensure the well-being of the ethnic Russians and the fleet. Not to invade, mind you, but to keep the militants from rioting.

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM

dogsoldier on February 28, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Right, but what I’m saying is that if they did retake them I wonder if the Russians actually put up any resistance at all. I can see them keeping their powder dry for now because they don’t need/want to openly show their hand just yet in the hope they can take the Crimea for themselves without firing a single shot.

NotCoach on February 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM

One corrupt political figure out, another former corrupt political figure in.

I fear for those who are Ukraine.

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 10:31 AM

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 10:26 AM

True about the bases…But he’s also building a pipeline.

I’ll bet he’s anticipated this for a while with EU competitive investment in the Ukraine.

Russia still is the #1 producer and Putin has Chinese investment.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM

What is the world coming to when you can’t rely on Swiss bankers to launder and conceal your ill-gotten gains?

myiq2xu on February 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM

BTW, as I also posted on the other thread.

What we are watching in Ukraine is precisely the kind of conflict that the Jew-hating Hagel said was “old thinking” as he laid out the Obama plan to gut the military.

There is nothing in the future threats and future wars claims made by this administration that would allow the United States to launch the kind of response that would be necessary in a situation like Ukraine. While I’m not advocating US intervention on behalf of Kiev, it sure would be nice to have that capability in other conflicts. Say if the Muslim animals come over the border and endanger Israel. I suspect a big part of the reason the DoD is looking to eliminate this capability is precisely because they want the Jews driven into the sea and the United States military not being able to respond would go a long way to making that happen.

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Retweeted by Christopher Miller
Paul Sonne ‏@PaulSonne 8m

While the Yanukovych presser was important today, what ultimately seems more important is the sudden militarization of Crimea over 48 hours.

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 10:37 AM

NotCoach on February 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Russia already has Crimea and Putin made that pretty clear when he did his “Shared Fatherland” speech on Defend the Fatherland Day.

Of course he’s been saying that for a while.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:39 AM

True about the bases…But he’s also building a pipeline.

Russia still is the #1 producer and Putin has Chinese investment.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM

There are many gas and oil lines already built. The infrastructure though is getting bad due to lack of maintenance.

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 10:40 AM

NotCoach on February 28, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I’m guessing they would put up a fight. Keep in mind, there are strategic reasons why Russia doesn’t want to see their Black Sea bases surrounded by chaos and the lack of a stable government. And I suspect they are covertly doing much right now. I’m not convinced that some of the conflict is being manufactured by Russia as a pretext for intervention.

It really boils down to a few key questions.

1. Just how far will Putin go to protect Yanukovich from prosection?

2. Just how much international outrage would Russia suffer should they go in and create a protectorate in the Crimea (or even all of Ukraine)

3. Just how much popular support does the new government have and can they stabilize the situation?

4. Where do the loyalties of the military and its leaders lie?

and 5. Just what kind of international support is available to the new government?

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM

One corrupt political figure out, another former corrupt political figure in.

I fear for those who are Ukraine. – upinak on February 28, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Anyone who wants so much power is most likely extremely egotistical and a narcissist. In their own minds they can do no wrong.

SC.Charlie on February 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM

BTW, as I also posted on the other thread.

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Dated 2013

“Israel, increasingly confounded by Washington’s Mideast policy, is mulling ways to enhance security cooperation with Moscow without jeopardizing its pre-eminent partnership with the US…”

Dated 2014

Does Israel have a better friend in Russia?

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/pundits-blog/international-affairs/198191-does-israel-have-a-better-friend-in-russia#ixzz2udFMa5CT
Follow us: @thehill on Twitter | TheHill on Facebook

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:44 AM

SC.Charlie on February 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM

True of many a politician.

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Good for the Swiss.

SC.Charlie on February 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM

The Swiss are not only doing this, but publicly announcing it, and without a UN mandate?

Very interesting. Not looking good for Viktor.

rbj on February 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM

RT ‏@RT_com 9m

Ousted Ukrainian president #Yanukovich talks to journalists in #Russia’s Rostov-on-Don (FULL PRESSER) http://youtu.be/ZxI7d5aaZ_M

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 10:51 AM

True about the bases…But he’s also building a pipeline.

Russia still is the #1 producer and Putin has Chinese investment.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:32 AM

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Yep.

Putin has more control with the Black Sea Pipeline?

Maybe he’s thinking’ he’ll let the EU clean that mess up…and the EU needs the coal anyhow but they’re also in trouble with the southern 1/2 of the EU basically bankrupt. Interesting that Merkel is preparing for Old School Energy isn’t it?

Putin has plenty of resources in Russia…and China’s money.

Maps of Russian Resources…

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:52 AM

…how many did he have killed?
…he should die!

KOOLAID2 on February 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM

upinak is right. The woman, now in Germany for treatment, is just as bad and should get lost.

Bmore, please photoshop obama/Kerry/Hagel into the 3 stooges.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Putin has taken the temperature of obama/Hagel/Kerry and smiled.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM

It really boils down to a few key questions.

1. Just how far will Putin go to protect Yanukovich from prosection?

4. Where do the loyalties of the military and its leaders lie?

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Good questions.

I think it’s all proxy bullish*t anyway.

Putin is negotiating with the EU.

If history serves…the EU will negotiate on partition.

Y’know…a Peaceful 2 state resolution…

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Very interesting. Not looking good for Viktor. – rbj on February 28, 2014 at 10:47 AM

The United Nations is a useless, corrupt organization.

SC.Charlie on February 28, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Putin has taken the temperature of obama/Hagel/Kerry and smiled.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Interesting parallel to when we took in the Shah?

It’s pretty weird to watch Putin beat us over the head by mimicking our own strategy isn’t it ?

Putin is a clever bastard.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Good questions.

I think it’s all proxy bullish*t anyway.

Putin is negotiating with the EU.

If history serves…the EU will negotiate on partition.

Y’know…a Peaceful 2 state resolution…

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Munich Kiev Agreement?

NotCoach on February 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Ukrainian political crisis
1m
US Sen. Chris Murphy, D-Conn., working on legislation to authorize US financial, technical assistance to Ukraine – via @MaximEristavi
read more on senate.gov
=========================

MURPHY STATEMENT ON FORMATION OF NEW GOVERNMENT IN UKRAINE
Friday, February 28, 2014

HARTFORD—U.S. Senator Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), Chairman of the Senate Foreign Relations Subcommittee on European Affairs, released the following statement on the announcement of the formation of a new government in Ukraine:

I congratulate Prime Minister Yatsenyuk and his cabinet on the formation of a coalition government. This announcement brings renewed hope for democracy, unity, and self-determination for the Ukrainian people, who unquestionably brought about this change in their government through sacrifice and perseverance. The interim government is empowered to prepare for new elections in May and undertake key reforms to strengthen the economy. While there are surely difficult times ahead, I am encouraged by the efforts of the Parliament to form an inclusive coalition government, and urge its new leaders to work on behalf of all Ukrainians – regardless of regional, ethnic or political affiliations.

To support Ukraine’s continued progress, I am working with my Senate colleagues on legislation to authorize U.S. financial and technical assistance. This assistance package will be part of a broader, coordinated program with the European Union, IMF and other international partners. I encourage the new government to implement the necessary economic reforms to stabilize the economy and set Ukraine on a path to prosperity, including rooting out corruption and increasing transparency in government finances. Ukraine’s leading industrialists might also consider how they can play a helpful role in stabilizing the economy.

Finally, I remain deeply concerned about events in Crimea and urge all parties to exercise caution and refrain from further escalating tensions. The United States has been very clear about our commitment to Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity, which we believe are key factors of stability and security in the region.

###

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Bmore, please photoshop obama/Kerry/Hagel into the 3 stooges.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2014 at 10:56 AM

The Ukraine has been corrupt since it split. I am surprised it took this long for the people to stand up and fight back.

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Really Senator Murphy? When has the United States been very clear about our commitment to Ukraine’s sovereignty and territorial integrity?

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Good questions.

I think it’s all proxy bullish*t anyway.

Putin is negotiating with the EU.

If history serves…the EU will negotiate on partition.

Y’know…a Peaceful 2 state resolution…

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Munich Kiev Agreement?

NotCoach on February 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Maybe.

It’s interesting that the other day Gorbachev waxed poetic (While in Saudi Arabia) on the Ukraine’s inability to properly enact “Perestroika” (restructuring) and “glasnost” (openness) policies…now isn’t it?

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM

I’m only interested to see when Putin starts using the Russian word for lebensraum.

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Soon they’ll have to replace Lenin’s hammered-to-pieces statues with Putin’s.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2014 at 11:24 AM

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 11:13 AM

True. They need totally new leadership. Otherwise none will change, just lots of dough from the EU and the US, all wasted.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM

This news really saddens me…

He should have stood strong like Nicolae Ceaușescu!

makattak on February 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM

When hasn’t it been wasted? I have yet to see anything significant worth mentioning in over 10 years.

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM

May I say, that it was good to see that he fled. Now stay in Russia and keep your mouth shut.

SC.Charlie on February 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 11:21 AM

He pretty much did that on Defend the Fatherland Day.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

SC.Charlie on February 28, 2014 at 11:36 AM

I doubt he’ll keep his mouth shut…Putin finds him useful….for now.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 11:38 AM

From au.news.yahoo.com:

“The airports are now controlled by Ukrainian law enforcement authorities,” Parubiy said in televised remarks.

But AFP reporters said dozens of men in battle fatigues and armed with Kalashnikovs continued to encircled the Simferopol airport.

I think the reporting of Ukrainian police having retaken the airports is probably like Baghdad Bob’s reporting.

Kaffa on February 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Putin is a clever bastard.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 11:06 AM

This is the understatement of the century.

He has obama for the appetizer, ahead of breakfast.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Kaffa on February 28, 2014 at 11:44 AM

The Russians er… locals really don’t need the airports so long as they have surface-to-air munitions that would destroy any aircraft looking to land.

Frankly, I think the only thing we can say with any certainty is that the situation in Ukraine remains confused with opposing forces making contradictory claims about what is going on. Clearly Yanukovich isn’t in charge but do we really know who is? The Russians? The coalition government in Kiev? Local bands of citizens?

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 11:59 AM

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 11:33 AM

So true. So much sacrifice, so much waste, all for nothing, wait, for more thuggery around the world.

GWB was a disappointment and the oaf who’s chief is always with the bad ones.

Schadenfreude on February 28, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Yanukovich: I fled Ukraine for fear of my life

LOL

What a pathetic wuss. Kills nearly a hundred innocent people, then flees like a coward from his goldplated toilets when people rise up.

Guess Eastern Ukraine wasn’t so “safe” for this lunatic after all.

Norwegian on February 28, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Norwegian on February 28, 2014 at 12:03 PM

To be fair, anybody that can build a multi-million dollar palace on 25K/year must be really good at math or something. ;0

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 12:10 PM

From the Guardian:

Moscow’s military moves so far resemble a classically executed coup: seize control of strategic infrastructure, seal the borders between Crimea and the rest of Ukraine, invoke the need to protect the peninsula’s ethnic Russian majority. The Kremlin’s favourite news website, Lifenews.ru, was on hand to record the historic moment. Its journalists were allowed to video Russian forces patrolling ostentatiously outside Simferopol airport.

So far the Russians seem to be in control of Crimea without a shot being fired. That alone is an amazing accomplishment.

Kaffa on February 28, 2014 at 12:10 PM

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Happy Nomad:

Democrats are out front and centre, for Bleed’n Heart political
perception/deception purposes,….that they care, accept the Leader
Of The FreeWorld is MIA!:)

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Kaffa on February 28, 2014 at 12:10 PM

LOL – Not really

Hitler got control of Sudetenland without a single shot being fired.

Or maybe you consider that an “amazing accomplishment” also? Funny how the Russians blame everything on “nazis” and then goes ahead and copy them.

Norwegian on February 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Norwegian on February 28, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I do consider those to be amazing military tactical accomplishments regardless of whose side you’re on.

Kaffa on February 28, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Ukrainian political crisis
4m
UN Security Council to hold closed-door meeting at 3pm ET on Ukraine – @marcellehopkins
see original on twitter.com

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 12:29 PM

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I can’t really blame any of America’s ‘allies’ for hedging their bets by talking to Russia and Red China and other players. America under the REB is no longer a reliable partner, unless you are in the Muslim Brotherhood that is.

slickwillie2001 on February 28, 2014 at 12:30 PM

Ukrainian political crisis
1m
German Chancellor Angela Merkel discusses concern about destabilization of Ukraine in call with Russian President Vladimir Putin – @Reuters
read more on reuters.com
=========================

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 12:33 PM

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 12:32 PM

upinak: You gots dat right—–:0

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 12:35 PM

accept the Leader Of The FreeWorld is MIA!:)

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM

MIA? The cold finally get to ya canopfor? I saw Obama just yesterday. He was in the East Room announcing some program that would provide strong male role models for aspiring gang members. A coincidence, I am sure, that he surrounded himself with young black males two years and a day after Trayvon Martin was killed.

Seriously, the United States has been woefully absent from anything going on in Ukraine. At one point Biden was making the phone calls to Yanukovich! And aside from the generic expressions of concern in official statements, where the hell is John Kerry these days? America’s foreign policy is absolutely indefensible these days.

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM

************* SPOOKED *********************!!

Ukrainian political crisis
32s
Reports of Russian military incursions in Crimea region of Ukraine are of ‘deep concern,’ says White House Spokesman Jay Carney – @OKnox
end of alert

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Crimean airports ‘blocked’ in Ukraine
43s
Ukraine’s Simferopol Airport in Crimea currently not allowing flights from Kiev – Interfax via @Reuters
end of alert

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Mark Knoller ‏@markknoller 2m

Like SecState Kerry, WH’s @PressSec reiterates that it would be “a grave mistake” if Russia intervenes in Ukraine “in any way.”

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 12:40 PM

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Happy Nomad:Lol,..yes I know Hopey is busy coniving,

he was busy with his “My Brothers Keeper Initiative”!

Good points on Foreign Policy, the WH are focused in
on Domestic,…period!!
========================================================

The White House

Office of the Press Secretary
For Immediate Release
February 27, 2014

FACT SHEET: Opportunity for all: President Obama Launches My Brother’s Keeper Initiative to Build Ladders of Opportunity For Boys and Young Men of Color

“I’m reaching out to some of America’s leading foundations and corporations on a new initiative to help more young men of color facing especially tough odds to stay on track and reach their full potential.”

– President Barack Obama, January 28, 2014

“There are a lot of kids out there who need help, who are getting a lot of negative reinforcement. And is there more that we can do to give them the sense that their country cares about them and values them and is willing to invest in them?”

– President Barack Obama, July 19, 2013
(More………….)
====================

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 12:46 PM

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 12:40 PM

What in the hell does “grave mistake” mean?

So what if Russia does intervene. Is Kerry/Hagel/Obama prepared to do anything other than reiterate our concern? Are there efforts to get American citizens out of harm’s way (should the need arise)? What is the defensive status of our embassies and consulates in the region?

In short, the above largely rhetorical questions point out just how unserious this administration is about foreign policy.

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 12:47 PM

The United States is watching “very closely” “whether Russia might be crossing the line in any way, the intervention line,” White House spokesman Jay Carney says at his daily briefing.

I guess they’re “watching very closely” as the APCs roll into Semferopol and the Russian helicopters land at the airport. I hope they’re taking notes as to how Russia is doing this. We might need it for future reference.

Kaffa on February 28, 2014 at 12:59 PM