WaPo: Every Romney donor we’ve spoken to recently wants Jeb Bush for 2016

posted at 3:21 pm on February 28, 2014 by Allahpundit

There’s no way around it. America’s political establishment wants Bush vs. Clinton II.

Is resistance futile?

Every single Romney donor we spoke with this week listed the former Florida governor as their top choice…

Also, with solid name recognition and the Bush political machine behind him, Romney donors believe Jeb is the most electable of the potential Republican candidates. For Romney donors, electability is the single most important trait.

“If Jeb Bush is in the race, he clears the field,” said one major Romney donor. “You would have someone who has the talent that is equal to Mitt. The natural inclination for Mitt supporters would be to gravitate toward Jeb Bush because he’s a candidate that can win a national race.”

Another huge factor that would help Bush — who has contacted some donors about their receptiveness to a presidential bid and is believed to be seriously considering throwing his hat in the ring — is that his current gig as a senior adviser to Barclays Capital has helped him meet many of the Northeastern private equity types who filled Romney’s campaign coffers.

Christie’s Bridgegate crumble is contributing to Bush fee-vah, but like WaPo says, Christie had already burned some bridges with Mittworld by babbling praise for Obama over Sandy relief the weekend before the 2012 election. Bush has been waiting around for Christiemania to cool among Republican centrists, and now it is, so here we are.

Help me understand this, though:

“If Jeb Bush is in the race, he clears the field,” said one major Romney donor.

Which field? Crowning George Bush’s brother the new king of the Beltway Republicans isn’t going to scare tea-party candidates out of the race. Rand Paul would rather face Christie than Bush for various reasons — Bridgegate, lower name recognition, smaller donor network, plus the fact that Christie has antagonized many more Republicans over the last few years than Bush has — but there are advantages to running against Jeb too. Now he gets to attack not just a RINO but a dynastic RINO, whose own mother thinks it’s poor form for the family to monopolize Republican nominations. Paul’s brand is that he’s a new kind of Republican; nothing would underscore that like running against a Bush, which means he might attract some voters who have issues with him but nonetheless want fresh faces in the party’s leadership. (I’m one of them. I like Paul but doubt I’d support him in the primaries — unless we’re given a stark “old guard versus new guard” choice.) And Paul may relish running against Bush even though it would make his task harder. If you want to shift the Republican Party’s foreign policy paradigm to noninterventionism, you can do worse than have George W. Bush’s brother as your opponent.

What the donor quoted by WaPo probably meant was that Bush would clear the centrist field. No more Christie: He’d conclude that he’s too badly damaged to beat a well-funded Jeb and decide to support him instead. No more Rubio: The Florida Republican establishment would swing behind Jeb, leaving Rubio with no operational base. Probably no more Paul Ryan either. Even if he was inclined to run, it’d be hard to make bank with Mitt’s old donors stampeding towards Bush and hard to turn to grassroots righties for support given that they’re peeved at him over amnesty and last year’s budget. But … what about Scott Walker or Bobby Jindal, who seems like he’s quietly building a proto-campaign? They’d make the same calculation that Paul will — that some segment of Republicans will blanch at the thought of nominating another Bush, whether out of objections to dynasticism or because they fear the “Bush” name is unelectable at this point, and jump in. They’d sell themselves as the Goldilocks option, more conservative than Crown Prince Jeb and more mainstream than Paul, and pull donations from both sides of the party. If/when the center and right reach a stalemate on Bush versus Paul, Walker or Jindal will be there as a compromise choice. The field won’t clear, unless your idea of “the field” runs no further to the right than Rubio.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

JimBob on February 28, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Because petulance solves everything and makes the world a better place. /s

MJBrutus on February 28, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Hey, why don’t we try a conservative this time?

John the Libertarian on February 28, 2014 at 3:25 PM

Great idea, since we will lose with another RINO, why not give it a shot!

Mollymaloo on February 28, 2014 at 4:22 PM

See you in 2020, Republican Party.

Maybe.

Rusty Nail on February 28, 2014 at 4:25 PM

If the GOP nominates another Bush, they are more stupid than I thought.

Tasha on February 28, 2014 at 4:32 PM

Knowing WaPo, I’d like to know how many Romney donors they spoke with and who they were. Otherwise, the WaPo agenda overwhelms any credibility these claims might have.

And some of them might actually take issue with his policies. Immigration, border security, and government spending leap to mind.

novaculus on February 28, 2014 at 4:38 PM

If Bush wins the nomination I will VOTE for Cliton

Robert R. Lake on February 28, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Because petulance solves everything and makes the world a better place. /s

MJBrutus on February 28, 2014 at 4:21 PM

And rolling over and being screwed by the Republican establishment has been working out so well for conservatives. I am done supporting half aassed measures of simply going towards the cliff more slowly. I want full throated measures to turn this big stack of crap we call a country around.

Our country has been lost…more of the same won’t work. More of Democrat lite will not work. Common Core is an abomination. Immigration from Third world countries is a sword pointed directly at the heart of this country. Banks are corrupt and bankrupt. Our currency is gone. Government bureaucrats think they are masters not servants. The richest part of the country is DC.

Your mistake is thinking that I am merely petulant…I am a LOT more than merely petulant.

JimBob on February 28, 2014 at 4:44 PM

I guess at least we’d get away from the name George. That would have been even more like a hereditary monarchy. I wonder if there are photos anywhere of the Bush family with the Dingell family. That would be a nice parallel to draw.

Gesundheit on February 28, 2014 at 4:45 PM

“If Jeb Bush is in the race, he clears the field,” said one major Romney donor.

Which field?

A public park in Florida.

Stoic Patriot on February 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Jeb Bush isn’t going to get the nomination. Everyone knows this. But it is fun having the media pretend the GOP has a weak field. We don’t.

terryannonline on February 28, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Jeb Bush has the nomination if he wants it. Everyone knows this. It isn’t that the GOP has a weak field. It’s that Bush has all the money locked up ahead of time.

Also, he’d be a formidable candidate without the Bush name. The name actually hinders him.

fadetogray on February 28, 2014 at 5:00 PM

A Bush/Clinton election gives me the creeps. We know it will be Hillary, but please….. a fresh, conservative face for the Rs.

Rand Paul.

cat_owner on February 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Yes, the last name is HUGE hinderance. How many people still blame Bush for the economy? Even Republicans realize this. This is a silly story. I doubt he runs and even if he did….he would go too far.

terryannonline on February 28, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Like many here, I want to see someone else run. I am done with political dynasties. I wish Jeb would listen to his mom and realize she is right. The same goes for Clinton.

As for Jindal and Walker, I have to think the most likely of those two to gain traction is Walker. Jindal once looked like a sure fire bet to seriously compete for the nomination, but I don’t see how he gets anywhere when even his own state seems to have soured on him. I think Jindal would have been a great president in the era before TV, but I fear he doesn’t have the charisma and personality that is required for modern presidential contenders. Too many people are used to Reagan, Kennedy, and Clinton types these days. Coolidge would be an after thought if he tried to run for president today.

SquireB on February 28, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Jeb Bush is a good politician, but the Bush name has been so sullied that I doubt if he could win.

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 28, 2014 at 5:07 PM

“If Jeb Bush is in the race, he clears the field,” said one major Romney donor.

That’s right. The entire conservative base would evacuate.

rrpjr on February 28, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Jeb Bush’s connectios with amnesty for illegals (under the guise of immigration reform) and Common Core is a resounding “No thanks!”

We have a fairly deep bench of competent conservatives that should be the source of our presidential candidate choice.

onlineanalyst on February 28, 2014 at 5:16 PM

So, basically they’re working for the democrat party then, because Bush is the only candidate that is 100%, no doubt about it guaranteed to lose.

xblade on February 28, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Prediction. Jen Bush will never be POTUS unless the Dims screw it up as bad as we did with McCain and Romney.

Bmore on February 28, 2014 at 5:20 PM

By the time the next presidential election rolls around we will have 16 years of how Bush ruined America, and the GOP wants another Bush as their nominee? Good grief! What a fools errand! Lets get some new blood in there.

I say lets just bypass all the BS and make Rand Paul our candidate…

publius75 on February 28, 2014 at 5:35 PM

For Romney donors, electability is the single most important trait.

They are concerned with electability…getting the democrat elected that is. That’s why they’re backing a guaranteed loser.

xblade on February 28, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Great. Another eight years of democrats.

NoPain on February 28, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Walker or game over.

NoPain on February 28, 2014 at 5:41 PM

NO EFFIN WAY WILL I VOTE FOR ANYONE TO THE LEFT OF MITT.
THEY MIGHT AS WELL STICK A FORK IN THE USA – IF JEB IS NOMINATED – CUZ IT WILL BE DONE.

reliapundit on February 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I don’t think Jeb Bush will even run..:)

Dire Straits on February 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I note:

WaPo – useless to conservatives except to know what the other side is thinking

The WaPo totally discounts Cruz – you know what they’re thinking. Reduce Cruz.

Allah doesn’t mention Cruz. Salem is establishment.

DanMan on February 28, 2014 at 5:52 PM

It’s your party, so run whoever you want, but I won’t be voting for you unless up dig up George Washington.

DFCtomm on February 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM

And the old familiar beat goes on, once again. Remember back to early 2012 when we all bitched and moaned about letting the dems and the press pick our candidate? Well, here we go again. Right on schedule too.
Last time it was common on this site to hear not Romney, never Romney; And look how that turned out….are we going to permit it again? I called this last year and it’s happening just as I said. I WILL NOT VOTE FOR ANYMORE BUSHS AND I’LL BE VOTING AGAINST IDIOT ROVE TOO! Neither are the least bit interested in serving the American Citizens. Both love amnesty and aren’t going to change their stance on that issue….I can’t think of any issue that Bush/Rove agree with us about. It will simply be a different face, color and party but the same agenda.
We need to pledge not to be taken in by this nonsense again and still to our guns. Time to stick to our principles and, if we should lose, at least we’ll go down fighting the good fight!!

MONACO1121 on February 28, 2014 at 6:33 PM

“If Jeb Bush is in the race, he clears the field,” said one major Romney donor.

B S . . . “Barbra Streisand”

listens2glenn on February 28, 2014 at 6:35 PM

…a fresh, conservative face for the Rs….
Rand Paul.
cat_owner on February 28, 2014 at 5:01 PM

Please make up your mind.

LegendHasIt on February 28, 2014 at 6:43 PM

If Jeb’s the candidate this is one voter that will stay home

Franklin100 on February 28, 2014 at 6:45 PM

WaPo: Every Romney donor we’ve spoken to recently wants Jeb Bush for 2016

…well…they can all go phuck themselves!……………..I DON’T!

KOOLAID2 on February 28, 2014 at 6:46 PM

“The natural inclination for RINO supporters would be to gravitate toward Jeb Bush/Mitt Romney/John McCain/Bob Dole because he’s a candidate that can win a national race.”

bw222 on February 28, 2014 at 6:49 PM

For Romney donors, electability is the single most important trait.

Now that’s one of the funniest lines I’ve read in a while.

ddrintn on February 28, 2014 at 6:55 PM

An interesting thing to note: back in the 2012 campaign, every single Republican nominee was slammed by the media, except Mitt Romney. There rumors, leaks, investigations, etc, and Obama made an occasional remark, but never about Mitt Romney. One by one, they were taken out, except Romney. Because that was the chosen one of Obama, that was the guy he wanted to face. Romney was only persecuted by the progressive-media complex AFTER winning the Republican nomination. He was the weakest candidate among the plausible contenders.

Jeb Bush? I don’t know, but I say that maybe the next time around we should pick the guy the Progs LEAST want to face.

RockinRickOwen on February 28, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Also, with solid name recognition and the Bush political machine outstanding campaign team behind him, Romney Bush Inc and GOPe donors believe Jeb Mitt is the most electable of the potential Republican candidates.

Same shite, different cycle. Buh bye, GOP.

ddrintn on February 28, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I’ve been doing some research on Jeb and so far I am liking what I am seeing. He’s different from his brother or his dad and he impresses me as a lot smarter.

crosspatch on February 28, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Being the smartest Bush is like being the tallest dwarf.

bw222 on February 28, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Jeb Bush is a huge proponent of illegal alien amnesty.

HELL NO to illegal alien amnesty-supporting Jeb Bush!

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 7:12 PM

For Romney donors, electability is the single most important trait.

Now that’s comedy right there.

rrpjr on February 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM

bw222 on February 28, 2014 at 7:08 PM

With two of them becoming POTUS..That is a little bit taller than a dwarf don’t you agree..:)

Dire Straits on February 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM

bw222 on February 28, 2014 at 7:08 PM
With two of them becoming POTUS..I don’t know but that is a little bit taller than a dwarf don’t you agree??..:)

Dire Straits on February 28, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Sorry..:)

Dire Straits on February 28, 2014 at 7:22 PM

“Every Romney donor..” aka LOSERS.

Why do we keep asking the losers what they think?

Truth Gun on February 28, 2014 at 7:27 PM

I would vote for Rudy freakin’ Guliani before I’d vote for Jeb Bush. And that’s saying a lot, considering he’s pro-choice.

My patience is wearing thin these days with these establishment “winners.”

theotherone on February 28, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I hope NEVER! Another Karl Rove pick!

mobydutch on February 28, 2014 at 7:32 PM

They should come talk to me. I’ll tell them “Hell No!”

WaPo…yeah, they are looking out for Conservatives….oh wait…

Liberals will tell you what they fear and will promote what they desire, if you listen hard enough.

Listen to your mother, Jeb. Don’t run!

ProfShadow on February 28, 2014 at 7:37 PM

NB: I donated to Romney’s campaign. Not because I was that enthused about Romney, but I definitely was enthused to defeat Obama.

ProfShadow on February 28, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Prolly been said before. Every Romney donor backed the wrong fluking horse.

john1schn on February 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Prolly been said before. Every Romney donor backed the wrong fluking horse.

john1schn on February 28, 2014 at 8:00 PM

…and I say that as one who dropped a few bucks in his tin cup.

john1schn on February 28, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I wish these donors would start donating to the cause of immigration law enforcement and defeating the push for illegal alien amnesty.

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 8:05 PM

I don’t think Jeb Bush will even run..:)
Dire Straits on February 28, 2014 at 5:42 PM

It would be an utter waste of time, effort and money for another Bush to run. If Jeb has two brain cells to rub together, he stays home.

DFCtomm on February 28, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Be honest with yourself and the world. You dimocraps wouldn’t vote for Jefferson or Jackson if they were running. You consider them right wing maniacs.

OTOH, Jefferson would gladly condemn the lot of you to the gallows, and Jackson would be delighted to spring the trap on your idiots.

Quartermaster on February 28, 2014 at 8:06 PM

For Romney donors, electability is the single most important trait.

Do they really not see the problem with that so called logic?

SMH… It would be comical, if it weren’t so pathetically stupid, and destructive.

Steele on February 28, 2014 at 8:14 PM

All them Rich Rumney donors shore do want them some cheap gardeners and landscapers badly don’t they?
West/Palin 2016 or other way around, the Beauty and the Beast to save America!

ConcealedKerry on February 28, 2014 at 8:16 PM

“You would have someone who has the talent that is equal to Mitt. “

Oh yes, because Mittens was soooo talented that he lost the electoral equivalent of a layup against a president during a terrible economy because he couldn’t even make his own party base come out and vote for him.

We need more of that kind of talent!

bettercallputin on February 28, 2014 at 9:13 PM

This is not a monarchy. Naturally, the richies want one of their own in the WH.

Not.one.more.Bush.

Conservchik on February 28, 2014 at 9:21 PM

I wonder if Jindal would get in against Jeb. Walker might be more certain to fill that role.

I do recall that in the ’90s, all the smart money was on Jeb to be the Bush who ran, even after W became Governor of Texas. His Hispanic wife could be a big help with that community, as would George P. (son).

The fact that it would make heads explode is a plus, but the only reason I think he might really do it is so Mom & Dad get to see two sons elected before they pass on. Not much of a reason to run, really.

Walker still seems the logical choice. Strong record of accomplishment against the odds in a union state, should be acceptable to all groups in the party.

Adjoran on February 28, 2014 at 9:26 PM

For Romney donors, electability is the single most important trait.

Now that’s comedy right there.

rrpjr on February 28, 2014 at 7:14 PM

It sure is. After reading it you can hear the laugh track.

ddrintn on February 28, 2014 at 9:28 PM

In a lot of ways, I really like Jeb Bush. But a) I’m not suicidal, and there’s no way another Bush is winning while they’re still blaming Obama’s failures on the last one and b) I have a feeling a Jeb Bush administration would be somewhere between Bush 41 and Bush 43, and that’s just going to make the current GOPe problem even worse.

There Goes the Neighborhood on February 28, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Why not. What difference, at this point, does it make?

BoxHead1 on February 28, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Heckuva job, gopE.

BoxHead1 on February 28, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Help me understand this, though:

“If Jeb Bush is in the race, he clears the field,” said one major Romney donor.

Let me take a stab at it: “If Jeb enters the race, we and our flunkies will do everything we possibly can to clear the field for him.”

ddrintn on February 28, 2014 at 9:42 PM

“If Jeb Bush is in the race, he clears the field,”

it depends on what the meaning of the word is is.

BoxHead1 on February 28, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Can’t the 2010s come up with their own crap? C’mon millennials, don’t let these aged boomer losers bigfoot your decade. They ruin everything(see America as prime example #1).

BoxHead1 on February 28, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Oh yeah – And every Republican donor wanted Wendell Wilkie (a registered democrat as late as Oct 1939) in June 1940 after a manufactured poll phenomena in the Des Moine Register in April and May 1940.

And every Republican donor wanted Alf Landon in 1936 because he was a sure loser to FDR who was cartelizing businesses (with all sorts of government controls) through the NRA, etc., just like the Republican oligarchs had always wanted to do for 40 years prior.

What will this do to downsize the growth of the Federal government? The prior two Bushes did what?

Falcon46 on February 28, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Quartermaster on February 28, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Google is your friend newb, but thanks for the laugh.

DFCtomm on February 28, 2014 at 10:05 PM

I’m getting the feeling I will never again see anyone to the right of Lenin in the White House.

HellCat on February 28, 2014 at 10:09 PM

As long as Reince Priebus is the head of the RNC, & Karl Rove remains the mouthpiece of the republican party, all we’ll get are rinos. Kind of makes you feel sick.

Belle on February 28, 2014 at 10:13 PM

Where have we heard this before? Ok, another election defeat. They will never learn

Brock Robamney on February 28, 2014 at 11:25 PM

If Bush wins the nomination I will VOTE for Cliton

Go ahead. There’s always a pack of idiots who do this each election. The good news is, both sides cancel each other out cause each side has idiots.

rubberneck on February 28, 2014 at 11:43 PM

No more BUSHes, No more CLINTONs, & No more OBAMA!

America doesn’t need anymore ‘political dynasties’, no more millionaire elitists, & no more communist/socialist/racist-mentored dictato-wannabe’s. We need ‘one of us’ – someone who will do what is in the best interest of the nation rather than themselves or their party! Friggin’ millionaires have no respect for money, no concept of having a budget & having to live within one, of having to worry about paying the bills on time every month while having to make decisions like ‘food or medicine this month’. No more millionaire elitist lawyers or uber partisan politicians with agendas & a lust for power.

To all of the politicians in Washington, here is a challenge for you…in the words of JFK: ‘Ask not what your nation, your constituents, can do for YOU anymore…ask what YOU can do for your nation / constituents!’ I know that might be a new concept for you, but how about give it a try….and Jeb, you might be a nice guy, but at this moment I would rather have ‘Joe the Plumber’ as President.

easyt65 on February 28, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Do they really not see the problem with that so called logic?

The logic of winning elections? Hot Air is full idiots.

rubberneck on February 28, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Are they secret democrat operatives or is there some other reason they want us to lose again?

Kaptain Amerika on March 1, 2014 at 12:18 AM

Not happening……next!

Dollayo on March 1, 2014 at 1:54 AM

When I played the board game “Risk,” I always made it a point to give very good advice to the other players, even occasionally telling them to attack against my interests. This last advice would be used solely to support my credibility during later discussions about where the person should attack or defend.

I always won, because I only pointed out their interests that were in line with my long-term interests, until I had enough overwhelming force that I could not be stopped.

Why does the WAPO tactic here remind me of that time?

Wino on March 1, 2014 at 3:32 AM

The logic of winning elections? Hot Air is full idiots.

rubberneck on February 28, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Jeb Bush ain’t going to win any election anytime soon rubberneck.

Murphy9 on March 1, 2014 at 5:49 AM

The logic of winning elections? Hot Air is full idiots.
rubberneck on February 28, 2014 at 11:45 PM

You mean like President Romney?

Brock Robamney on March 1, 2014 at 6:10 AM

ProfShadow on February 28, 2014 at 7:38 PM

And how did that work out for you?

Brock Robamney on March 1, 2014 at 6:59 AM

LIV ranks so high on the li scale they don’t even realize Jeb Bush is not GWB.

All LIV will see or hear is the name “Booooosh”, who for the past 16 years King Obama has declared is the cause of all the world’s problems.

LIV flood the voting booths in 2016 because “Obama say Boooooosh gunna take away my foodstamps and free cell-phone”.

Yeah, most electable my aunt Fannie.

Flora Duh on March 1, 2014 at 7:13 AM

Jeb Bush ain’t going to win any election anytime soon rubberneck.

You’re embarrassing yourself. If you choose to be stupid, that’s your problem. Just don’t blast it out everywhere.

rubberneck on March 1, 2014 at 7:33 AM

I honestly think this is the strategy of the US Chamber of Crony Capitalism. They select our candidates for us through money bombs, and to ensure that Amnesty gets passed, considering the fallout the last time Republicans supported Amnesty, they select the weakest candidates possible

Brock Robamney on March 1, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Now if she drops out ………..

NotCoach on February 28, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Never gonna happen. The only way she will concede the race is kicking and screaming like in ’08. And that may happen if God forbid the hard-left and the Dems drag another unknown visible minority kook out of obscurity to run against her….and now we know how likely that is!

cableguy615 on March 1, 2014 at 7:54 AM

Now if she drops out ………..
NotCoach on February 28, 2014 at 3:37 PM

cableguy615 on March 1, 2014 at 7:54 AM

You mean a minority like Sandra Fluke?

Brock Robamney on March 1, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Jeb Bush ain’t going to win any election anytime soon rubberneck.

Jeb Bush is not going to get the nomination and if God forbid that he did it will be a repeat of millions of conservatives staying home on election day. And why are we assuming Rand Paul is the presumptive conservative nominee…there are a whole lota conservatives that don’t like Paul’s squishiness on defense and foreign policy…just what would he do to stand up to the Russians over Ukraine? Not much more than Obama. There is room for a true social conservative and Christy isn’t the guy.

ironmarshal on March 1, 2014 at 9:35 AM

They did not call me. Selective donor calling, were they calling Florida or Texas by any chance?

Why does the Washington Post want to keep putting Jeb Bush’s name in?

Fleuries on March 1, 2014 at 10:02 AM

On second thought, this story is even more lunatic than it seems. Nobody I know, even thinks about Jeb Bush for any reason, more than once every other month when Common Core is blamed on him.

Fleuries on March 1, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Not me, not ever. Bush needs to lay low because even an endorsement would be KOD for me.

AH_C on March 1, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I think this Romney donor means exactly what he says. These guys are so stupid they think no one can compete with King Jeb for the nomination. Even worse, they actually believe he can beat Hillary.

I think they are wrong on both counts.

Then again, I thought nominating McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012 were horrible ideas, so what do I know?

DRayRaven on March 1, 2014 at 10:58 AM

WTF are we coming to?

Would you like Bush III or Clinton II — to be crowned known as Bush the 3rd or Clinton the 2nd, as your next monarch ruler President?

I may sit that one out on principle. Beyond the obvious issue above, this is a choice between Socialism Lite and Regular Strength Socialism. The Dems will probably offer a primary choice between a Maximum Strength Socialist and Regular Strength Socialist Clinton II.

We are already in some ways more socialist than several Eurpoean socialist governments. So, to borrow a phrase, what difference does it make at this point?

farsighted on March 1, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Because petulance solves everything and makes the world a better place. /s

MJBrutus on February 28, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Explain to me why it is petulance when we recognize and point out loser after loser that you Neostatists nominate? Why isn’t it petulance when a conservative like Ken Cucinelli wins the nomination in Virginia, and you and your beloved GOP leaves him hanging? Listening to your mastermind Karl Rove is stupid when he only has a 1% winning percentage. The sign of insanity is making the same stupid mistakes over and over again. When are you Neostatists finally going to catch on?

Brock Robamney on March 1, 2014 at 12:17 PM

farsighted on March 1, 2014 at 11:19 AM

It makes no difference when both parties are in agreement on policies that negatively impact the working class. So, I will pass unless we get a constitutional conservative nominated

Brock Robamney on March 1, 2014 at 12:19 PM

This just confirms what we already knew. The establishment refuklicans are more concerned with neutering the tea party than they are with winning.

noeastern on March 1, 2014 at 12:26 PM

I seem to remember a time when Made in America meant something. Where anything was possible if you worked hard enough. We accepted the malaise from the failed policies of Neostatists, who felt that their historically bad idea of interfering with the free market system will lead to prosperity. It never does. The more the Government resorts to protectionism, regulations, and the restriction of free trade, the more people are hindered from achieving the American Dream. Now people are so demoralized after the Bush/Obama economic doctrine that they lose their drive to succeed. What have we become?

Brock Robamney on March 1, 2014 at 12:27 PM

noeastern on March 1, 2014 at 12:26 PM

The Neostatists are not concerned with winning elections. They are only interested in getting a pat on the back from the media, but the more and more they attack their base, the more the Praetorian guard wants. It’s actually pretty cute watching Mitch the Turtle with his tongue wagging appeasing the media sticking it to his base, and wondering why he is tied with an unknown challenger

Brock Robamney on March 1, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Jeb Bush is a less charismatic Mitt Romney.

paulus1 on March 1, 2014 at 12:47 PM

I finally gave up and supported Romney, and I even donated to him. But no way in HELL will I support Jed Bush or Christie or another RINO. I’m done with the GOP, unless they run Sarah Palin or Ted Cruz, but since it doesn’t snow in hell, it ain’t gonna happen.

Mean Granny on March 1, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Let’s remember that in the constitutional scheme of things, the Congress is far more important than the presidency. So long as we can elect a constitutionalist Congress that takes its duties seriously, we can live with a RINO in the White House.

PersonFromPorlock on March 1, 2014 at 1:14 PM

PersonFromPorlock on March 1, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I can only think of 10 constitutionalists in congress. There will never be a Rino president because they keep losing elections.

Brock Robamney on March 1, 2014 at 2:52 PM

If Jeb Bush runs it’s an instant loss for conservatives. Please don’t run….

Travis1 on March 1, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I voted for the first 2 Bush’s and was unhappy with that. If it is Jeb and Hillary for the first time in my life I will vote Democrat just to go ahead and finish off the country so we can get started on starting over.

Nat George on March 1, 2014 at 6:23 PM

No way, no how. I will not vote for another establishment RINO. I would rather stay home. The Bush family has done enough damage to the Republican brand.

Lightspeed on March 1, 2014 at 8:28 PM

“Nine out of ten wealthy, paunchy, balding guys in Izod shirts at the country club agree:

“We need another Bush to run, because he’s a squishy country clubber like us!”

Utterly. Idiotic.
The Stupid Party strikes again.

orangemtl on March 1, 2014 at 11:45 PM