Triumphant White House announcement: Calorie counts on food labels to get bigger font or something

posted at 5:21 pm on February 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

I know Ed flagged it in the Greenroom but news this momentous belongs on the front page. I’m not going to lie to you, though: I’m torn. On the one hand, the fact that this is major news across the wires feels like a parody of “gesture liberalism,” the term George Will uses to describe small-ball initiatives designed more to make lefties feel good than to accomplish something meaningful. The vast majority of people ignore calorie counts on restaurant menus, when calculating the damage from a single meal is easy. Imagine how much more easily ignored they are at the supermarket, when shoppers are grabbing dozens of items to be eaten over the course of days. If you’re someone who cares about calorie counts, you’re going to find them on the label even if they’re in four-point font. Trying to solve the obesity problem by making the font bigger is like having a guy at the check-out counter with a megaphone saying, “YOU’RE NOT REALLY GOING TO EAT THAT, ARE YOU?” Meh.

But. As I’ve said many times before, if there’s one thing I’ve learned from years of blogging polls, it’s never to underestimate the stupidity of the low-information voter. Maybe a shiny object in the form of bigger print is just what an especially doltish consumer needs to get him to pay attention. But then, why would a dolt know offhand how many calories is too many? You could put that information on the label in big print too, I guess, but then you still need the dolt to bust out the calculator app on his smart phone to figure out how many tubs of ice cream per day he can eat before he bumps up against the 2,500 daily calorie limit. That’s my problem with the serving size adjustment described in the clip, the one potentially useful tweak to the label. It’s smart to change the serving sizes to more accurately reflect the portions Americans actually consume, but you’re still asking the customer to do some basic math and basic math just ain’t in the cards for everyone, especially amid the cacophony of the grocery store. Maybe we’re better off just drawing lines on the sides of each container. “Eat to here, then stop.” Think it’ll work?

Or, we could just follow what other countries do for cigarettes and use the labels to scare people straight. Good luck finishing that bag of Chips Ahoy while you’re staring at a pic of a pile of liposuctioned fat.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Huge! Massive!

JusDreamin on February 27, 2014 at 5:22 PM

How about cutting food stamps…

the_nile on February 27, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I’m happy for her. She finally found something she can do. BTW, Have you noticed the muscle in her arms

butch on February 27, 2014 at 5:25 PM

You may be on to something AP. Put a pic of Michelle on the label, problem solved!

JusDreamin on February 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM

I em trieing too tipe a reeeplie but I em not very gud at stuf. I need missis obamma to hlep mee.

NY2SC on February 27, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Our local news anchors were very excited about this in the morning broadcast. They were also pretty happy about the veto of the “anti-gay” bill.

mbs on February 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Eat your Peas.

ABC has been touting that the Mooches Let’s Move program was responsible for the decrease in obesity rates of….wait for it……1-5 year old’s. Of course it looked at data from 2002-2012 and her thighness’ program didn’t even start until 2010. But hey, we need to give her props or something.

HumpBot Salvation on February 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM

This was the headliner all day on Washington WTOP, I thought, ” what a slow news day”, then it hit me. They are telling me this is news. Food labels is the best they have, pathetic.

apt832 on February 27, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Bwahahahahahahahaha

wow… a major undertaking

what a waste of space

roflmmfao

donabernathy on February 27, 2014 at 5:30 PM

As big as Michelette’s lardazz…

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Doesn’t MJ give you the “munchies”, so cutting out MJ should also cut out obesity…

right2bright on February 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM

mbs on February 27, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Putin wont know what hit him.

the_nile on February 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM

I propose a green,yellow, red dot indicating whether it’s a low calories, medium calorie, or high calorie food. I realize that high calorie doesn’t necessarily mean unhealthy, but it’s a good approximation in a lot of cases.

themuppet on February 27, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes is due out, soon.

Why do these morons in DC, from both sides, assume that all the people of the USA are children?

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 5:32 PM

As far as I can tell, and as minor as this is, it’s the first O-administration “accomplishment” since killing Osama bin Laden. So by my count that makes two things in five years that haven’t left the country worse off.

Mayday on February 27, 2014 at 5:32 PM

And you wonder why costs keep going up…this and a thousand other regulations drive prices sky high.

Too bad bureaucrats don’t have a job…

right2bright on February 27, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Has Michelette been to a Costco since they’ve begun accepting food stamp cards?

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM

So what good is this when I don’t read the nutrition label anyway, regardless of font size?

CurtZHP on February 27, 2014 at 5:33 PM

I wonder how much this is going to cost us, the consumer. Nobody makes changes to a product without upping the price. Bigger font, bigger label. Geniuses!

scalleywag on February 27, 2014 at 5:34 PM

themuppet on February 27, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Warning labels, like on cigarettes, would be much more effective.

“This product may result in a lard a–”
/s

NY2SC on February 27, 2014 at 5:34 PM

AP, you forgot to label the thread “Palate Cleanser”.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Sob! OMG! HOW did we live for so long without this!

GarandFan on February 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM

It just occurred to me that these oafs don’t teach the children how to read.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM

A big effing deal.

Sherman1864 on February 27, 2014 at 5:35 PM

When are they gonna start posting calorie counts on those fancy White House dinners??

myiq2xu on February 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM

How about cutting food stamps…

the_nile on February 27, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Or prohibit food stamps being used to buy chips and soda. Years ago I worked in a grocery store, and people with food stamps invariably had carts full of chips, soda, cookies, frozen pizza, just lots of junk food. I think when it’s not your money, you tend to buy more junk for some reason. They used to have a WIC program for women with infants, and back then they could only buy certain things, milk, real cheese (not processed cheese), and some other healthy food items, don’t know if they still have that program or if its changed, but I thought it was a good program. The “illegals” (recognized by the fact that they could not speak English and used social security cards to cash their paychecks, which were generally from the cottonseed oil mill) actually had the healthiest grocery carts. They bought bags of dried beans, bags of corn meal and flour, fresh lettuce and tomatoes, and no junk food. I’m sure things have changed, but it was interesting back then, seeing what people bought.

mbs on February 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Yet the Obama/Dem legislation gets smaller, and they encourage people not to read it.

portlandon on February 27, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Not a bad idea. But, I thought everyone was starving in the United States and that was the reason for massive increase in the Food Stamp Program.

SC.Charlie on February 27, 2014 at 5:37 PM

This is a huge deal.”

Indeed, it is.

It was funny beneath her pic. up front too.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Take that 230 calorie number that you see there and multiply it by 10 and that’s probably a low estimate of what Michelle Obama eats … … per meal … … and she probably eats 6 meals a day. With all that free royalty level food she has access to if to get more down her gullet she has to throw up half of it, she probably does.

VorDaj on February 27, 2014 at 5:38 PM

Slow news day? Isn’t your downtime usually spent verbally kicking poor people?

Oh of course, making the font bigger is intended to “solve the obesity problem.” I’d chide HA for another worthless FLOTUS-bashing article, but being bad at your job IS the job here.

And congrats on your one billionth “Or Something” headline since you hacks have such anemic journalistic repertoire.

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM

mbs on February 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM

There used to be another program. It was called “wait until you are married and financially secure to have children”. It worked much better. And none of us had to pay for it.

NY2SC on February 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM

So when did we get a Food Czar? I am a proud member of Fatties United and I don’t need Moochelle who is in need of a little dietary advice herself, tell me how to eat

Brock Robamney on February 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM

I would prefer large font on the carb count, thank you very much.

djl130 on February 27, 2014 at 5:40 PM

I am a terrible American. I literally have no idea what number of calories is good, or high or whatever. To me it is just a number on a label. Mrs Obama wouldn’t like me very much. I will continue to live my life as if this momentous occasion never happened.

jjjdad on February 27, 2014 at 5:40 PM

For Constantine

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I am so sick of these arrogant assholes trying to shove their hubris-fueled “solutions” down our throats.

Fathom on February 27, 2014 at 5:41 PM

however, a label such as Nuval makes much more sense and is easier to understand: 0 for candy = bad vs. 100 for shredded wheat = great.

voss63 on February 27, 2014 at 5:41 PM

“Let them eat Poetry” Michelle remarked the other day, as she composed the new labeling guidelines for the written word.

Fenris on February 27, 2014 at 5:42 PM

NY2SC on February 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM

LOL, that’s true. I just meant it was a good program compared to food stamps, in that the people using it were forced to get healthy food instead of junk.

mbs on February 27, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Why are you here?

thebrokenrattle on February 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Wow, this will make all the difference.

LilyBart on February 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Why don’t they just have producers put a single note “Everything in moderation” and call it good.

I don’t need the federal government’s help in determining whats good and whats bad for me.

She failed to mention that the government has been working on this “change” for ten years.

tommer74 on February 27, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Qapla…!

Seven Percent Solution on February 27, 2014 at 5:48 PM

mbs on February 27, 2014 at 5:36 PM

More than just the fact that it’s someone else’s money, -people on food stamps long-term are generally low-IQ and poorly educated. They have been ruined by the Democratics chokehold on K-12. They don’t know any better.

slickwillie2001 on February 27, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Meh.

If I could make that font a little larger, I would.

Fallon on February 27, 2014 at 5:51 PM

The Queen of Projection is a nitwit. I live for the day when these mooching losers are out of our White House. They are almost as sickening as the Clintons.

Jaibones on February 27, 2014 at 5:52 PM

“Guns & Buns” says “Hey, this is a big f*****g deal!”

MikeinPRCA on February 27, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Slow news day? Isn’t your downtime usually spent verbally kicking poor people?

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Get a cat or something.

Chuck Schick on February 27, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Full of sound and fury signifying nothing.

tominsd on February 27, 2014 at 5:54 PM

themuppet on February 27, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Calories alone is a poor measure for how healthy something is. If I’m a sixteen year old football player going from school to practice, I’m going to grab whatever has the most calories.

slickwillie2001 on February 27, 2014 at 5:55 PM

scalleywag on February 27, 2014 at 5:34 PM

But, it’s an eleven.

Fallon on February 27, 2014 at 5:55 PM

God, she’s one ugly broad.

lostmotherland on February 26, 2014 at 4:09 PM

slickwillie2001 on February 27, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Will the ginormus lobsters the Mooch devours require individual labels or can they just go with one on the shipping crate?

HumpBot Salvation on February 27, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Why are you here?

thebrokenrattle on February 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM

There’s something morbidly fascinating about people living in an information bubble of their own making, and attempting to defend indefensible positions on multiple topics of interest.

Once in a while it gets even more interesting when the real world burst the bubble, like during the last Presidential election cycle.

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Jaibones on February 27, 2014 at 5:58 PM

thebrokenrattle on February 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM

By the way he acts, I’m guessing it’s a sockpuppet of libby or non.

It is funny, though, how he had absolutely nothing to say about the issue, and was forced to morph it into a “you mean boys are meanie butts for bashing M’Chelle” whine.

Don’t worry, “share packs” are up next (what is done in UK now with larger bag chips), complete with dotted lines on the front of the package to show the plebes just how many chips they are allowed to have.

Wanderlust on February 27, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Why not just give everyone government issued magnifying glasses?

The Federation of Cuban Women gave Castro a standing ovation when he said distribution of pressure cookers would start in April, and last until December 31.

Fallon on February 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM

You’re stupid and ugly and no one likes you.

Jaibones on February 27, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Get a cat or something.

Chuck Schick on February 27, 2014 at 5:53 PM

Wouldn’t work out between the two of them; Cats don’t like being told how to live their lives.

Fenris on February 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM

“This is a huge deal.”

Allah, you sly dog.

Bmore on February 27, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Stick your stupid stickers up your crack, racist wench.

TX-96 on February 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Michelle knows that all calories are not created equal, so calorie count is irrelevant. Michelle wants you to eat lots of whole grains which she knows are not healthy, and cut down on fat so you don’t feel as full and get hungry sooner.

Two slices of whole wheat bread have the same glycemic index as a snickers bar and wheat makes you hungry and crave more bad carbs. Most people wouldn’t knowingly eat a candy bar with every meal.

Sure Michelle will give a head fake by trying to reduce sugar in your diet, but she knows you won’t be able to resist the bad carbs, because she has you hopped up on whole grains.

edrebber on February 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM

edrebber on February 27, 2014 at 6:07 PM

So true. Have you read Why We Get Fat and What to Do About It by Gary Taubes? Really eye-opening.

mbs on February 27, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Slow news day?

This would be fun on a slow news day.

Fallon on February 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM

TypeFace Allah. A bigger TYPEFACE.

RC2 on February 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 5:57 PM

The White House feels there it has some business telling people what don’t-size to use on their product labels, then gets excited enough to make a major announcement about it, and when a political blogger has the temerity to raise his eyebrows you accuse him of living in a bubble?

You’re a cartoon.

Did you have a close friend die from accidental obesity due to misreading the calories on a food label, or are you always this much of a tool?

RINO in Name Only on February 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM

The White House feels therethat it has some business telling people what don’tfont-size to use on their product labels

RINO in Name Only on February 27, 2014 at 6:16 PM

Does the bulldog want these labels on her school lunches the kids refuse to eat and put in the trash can?

Wade on February 27, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I eat what I eat and long ago figured out that high calories doesn’t equal unhealthy.

This is stupid government again sticking its ugly mug right into your home.

Bishop on February 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 5:57 PM

Agreed, “if you like your plan you can keep your plan” was one hell of a bubble.

Bishop on February 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I read the food labels. Sometimes I’ll put a product back on the shelf, sometimes I’ll buy it anyway but limit my consumption. But sometimes, a gal just eats and says hang the calories. If you can’t figure it out now, the new $2 billion labels aren’t going to help. I saw that figure somewhere and it doesn’t take a genius to know this will just lead to further food inflation. I must be a dinosaur–I do remember a time when you couldn’t buy pop or any other taxable food items with the stamps. This was before bar codes and scanners and the stamps were paper you tore out of a book–and you had to have the book and literally tear out the stamps in front of the cashier. Never used them but saw them. People were ASHAMED to use them.

JinJin on February 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I’ve been battling an eating disorder since the REAGAN administration.
The ‘numbers’ are my trigger. I’m already petite. Does that worthless nannystate wh*re want those in my situation to never be able to enjoy eating again?
Stupid fat twunt needs to concentrate on losing her wide screen azz and and let We the People ALONE!!!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Ugh. If FLOTUS wasn’t so huge and didn’t constantly gorge herself on Kobe beef, tamales and Cheeto’s we could take this seriously.

Alas! She ain’t and We shan’t.

Key West Reader on February 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Big Deal indeed. The only big deal is when moocho and family leaves The Peoples House.

Wade on February 27, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Weird…I was just telling myself that if the calorie count was in a bigger font, I wouldn’t have bought those potato chips. Thanks Michelle Obama! /

changer1701 on February 27, 2014 at 6:32 PM

RINO in Name Only on February 27, 2014 at 6:12 PM

How dare the FLOTUS try and help families make healthy food choices!

To be more specific, the writers and publishers of this blog are the ones who *create* the nice, safe bubble for you. You simply choose to live in it.

Bishop on February 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM

More like “BUT YOU SAID WE WOULD WIN THE ELECTION WTF!?!?” I’d bet some readership was lost over that.

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 6:35 PM

How about cutting food stamps…

the_nile on February 27, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Or stopping the double dippers who get food stamps then expect the schools to feed their kids.

Wade on February 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 6:28 PM

She used to make me crave fast foods. I love her so much she now makes me crave sides of beef and Larry the 40 Pound Lobster.

/Larry died though. Guess who?

Key West Reader on February 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Bishop on February 27, 2014 at 6:27 PM

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Not wanting to talk out of turn here, but I think Bish meant “fart bubble”.

/Stanky

Key West Reader on February 27, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Does this include just how many calories are in that slice of gay wedding cake? And are there fewer or more calories in gay wedding cake than the normal kind?

Chick-Fil-A actually puts the calorie count on their menu boards. Doesn’t make a damn difference in what people order when they go in there for their “hate chicken.” Libfreeordie is not going to tell his mom to only cook one Hot Pocket for dinner. And nobody is going to eat but one portion of that “fun size” of M&Ms because of the calorie information.

So to the filthy disgusting Yeti pushing this from the White House- Congrats or something. You’re still a racist cow.

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Key West Reader on February 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Killer. LoL
I’m sorry for getting so hot under the collar-but it took me many years to get that monster(the eating disorder) under control.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I’ve been battling an eating disorder since the REAGAN administration.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 6:28 PM

Interesting you put it that way ALT. Nothing in the First Yeti’s years-long rant about eating is about eating disorders. It is all about the idea that Americans eat too much. That isn’t a healthy way of framing the discussion.

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Somebody tell Michelle that sign makes her butt look big.

Oldnuke on February 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 6:35 PM

In other words the bubble-popping was a bipartisan affair.

The difference is that you had four years of disaster to ignore while you pulled the lever for the loser who created it.

Bishop on February 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Why are you here?

thebrokenrattle on February 27, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Because he’s one of those mentally and/or emotionally unhinged people who get some sort of perverse thrill out of going places where they are not welcome for the sole purpose of making themselves unwelcome. It’s like going to a party to which you were not invited and making sure no one else has a good time. It’s not rational behavior by any stretch. The only reason a rational person would do it is if they were being somehow compensated.

CurtZHP on February 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Exactly.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 6:44 PM

Key West Reader on February 27, 2014 at 6:30 PM

She can’t do much about her “heritage” which is to say she’s always going to broad-beamed. But when she tapes a lecture on eating healthy and then goes out with the brats for a 3,000 calorie lunch of ribs with all the sides…….. well that’s just hypocrisy (and a true story).

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Americans as a whole are nutritionally illiterate, so I’m not sure increasing the font size of something most of them don’t comprehend to begin with is going to make much difference.

lineholder on February 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Will Arugula at Whole Foods need a label above the bin? BTW have you seen the price of Arugula at Whole Foods lately, it’s out of control, man!

Bishop on February 27, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Bishop on February 27, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Compared to the preceding 8-year Bush crash-and-burn, we’ve had a freaking Renaissance.

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Bishop on February 27, 2014 at 6:25 PM

Mooch has tried to dumb down the discussion so that all those residing in “food deserts” can understand that feeding their kids a salad is preferable to getting them a bag of fast food burgers.

Are we really to believe that the same mother who feeds the kids of her baby daddies (when the school isn’t doing it) will change behaviors because of a larger font on the packaging?

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

So, how many carbs did you scarf down for lunch today?

Oldnuke on February 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Constantine on February 27, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Agreed, all the numbers are looking really good.

Well ok the combat soldier deaths in Afghanistan aren’t so hot, but those men and women died under a CinC who has a Nobel Peace Prize.

Bishop on February 27, 2014 at 6:54 PM

…MaMa Mooch!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

I feel the numbers should be in red and have little drops of cartoony blood dripping from them, really hit home on just how dangerous the calorie is.

Bishop on February 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Fast food burgers get a bum rap. Totally without merit in my opinion. A whopper from Burger King has protein, carbohydrates, fiber, vitamins and if you get it with cheese some calcium and some very necessary fats. Pretty well balanced meal all in all.

Oldnuke on February 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM

lol

Murphy9 on February 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 6:39 PM

{{{Hugs}}} Got it

Key West Reader on February 27, 2014 at 6:56 PM

lineholder on February 27, 2014 at 6:46 PM

I disagree. Americans as a whole are not nutritionally illiterate. They simply don’t care. Do you really think that somebody is going to be checking the labeling before reaching for a second slice of cheesecake? You’re insulting the intelligence of Americans.

If the filthy “Ho” in the White House wants to change how Americans eat, it starts with changing cultural norms and not in endless lectures about “eating healthy.” The fact of the matter is that woman in some ghetto will bypass the grocery store’s produce selection to feed her kids from the chicken, burger, or taco places on the other three corners of the same intersection. That’s a change in culture not a change in labeling.

Happy Nomad on February 27, 2014 at 6:58 PM