Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on February 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

On Tuesday, American Atheists President David Silverman received a phone call from American Conservative Union Executive Director Dan Schneider informing him that the ACU board is breaking its agreement to permit American Atheists to host an information booth at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), March 6-8.

According to Silverman, Schneider cited “the tone” in the quote “The Christian right should be threatened by us.”, which was in a Tuesday CNN article, as the reason for the revocation. This reversal came just hours after a press release from American Atheists announcing the booth, one week before the conference…

“Continuing to conflate religion and conservatism is not a viable strategy; this was apparently too scary for CPAC attendees to hear,” Silverman said. “America’s religious conservatives can deny it all they want, but soon they’re going to realize that ignoring the growing number of atheist constituents is a losing proposition.”

***

Why did you want a booth at CPAC?

To raise the awareness of the fact that 20 percent of America’s conservatives are non-religious people — they never pray, according to Pew …

And they should include the non-religious in their talks … They should acknowledge the non-religious. And they should rethink the conservative marriage with Christianity …

Conservatism is declining, obviously … And the reason that they are suffering is because they are doing the wrong thing, by taking the fastest growing … religious demographic in the country — the fastest-growing in all 50 states — and shoving it off to the side for the sake of Jesus …

What CPAC has done is effectively bury its head in the sand, and is pretending that things aren’t changing. They are pretending that atheists aren’t relevant. And they are pretending that Christianity still holds water in American society.

***

Although the many conservatives are uncomfortable with atheists, it’s not clear that the atheist movement is necessarily much more comfortable with conservatives. When Edwina Rogers, who had previously worked for Senator Trent Lott and President George W. Bush, was tapped as Executive Director of the Secular Coalition of America, Greta Christina, a popular atheist writer, said that her work as a Republican was “a real problem” and that the aims of the GOP were “diametrically opposed to those of the atheist and secular community.” Christina subsequently resigned her membership in the SCA, when she felt that Rogers did not adequately address these concerns.

***

Before the 1990s, Republicans won as much as 43 percent of non-religious voters, but suddenly began losing them by a 2 to 1 margin just as the group began to grow. By 2008, voters with no religion had grown to 12 percent of the electorate – more than Hispanics – and Barack Obama won them in 2008 and 2012 with wider margins than any previous Democrat. Mitt Romney narrowed the gap in 2012, though at 44 points he was hardly competitive. It’s important to note that most of these voters are not full-on atheists espousing intense opposition to religion on principle, but agnostic or “nothing in particular.”*

Why did this shift happen? In their book American Grace, sociologists David Campbell and Robert Putnam argue that the rising number of “nones” and their increasing Democratic tilt are a reaction to the Republican Party’s tightening alignment with Christian conservatives since the 1980s. In one recent example, a 2012 Pew Research Center poll found two in three religiously unaffiliated Americans agreeing that religious conservatives have too much control over the Republican Party.

***

According to CPAC’s spokeswoman, Meghan Snyder, Silverman, in a conversation with her about his comments, pledged to attack the very idea that Christianity is an important element of conservatism. Snyder adds: “People of any faith tradition should not be attacked for their beliefs, especially at our conference. He has left us with no choice but to return his money.”

So what exactly is the controversy here? Why should the country’s chief conservative conference welcome a group that is not conservative and is antagonistic towards many conservatives’ belief systems? And as for the idea of an embracing “big tent,” should CPAC open up shop to gun-control groups, too, under that big tent?

America is grappling to define conservatism. In a movement that once combated “amnesty, abortion, and acid,” nowadays (a) one cannot throw a rock without hitting a GOP politico pushing for amnesty for illegal immigrants, (b) a not-insignificant chunk of conservatives in private shrug over abortion, and (c) drug legalization makes immense headway. So while a big-tent philosophy welcoming of respectful atheists and agnostics is certainly the right course, make no mistake: If no tenet of conservatism will survive the night, let the movement at least — while welcoming non-believers — treasure and respect the faithful.

***

Many CPAC attendees believe in God. Inviting a non-conservative group that thinks the God-believers are all idiots in need of “enlightenment” makes little sense to me. Put it this way. Most conservatives believe in limited government. Some believe in big government. I think such people are wrong but should be allowed to make their case — because they share a common desire to advance the conservative cause. But there are lots of non-conservatives who also believe in big government to advance the liberal cause. Should they be allowed to attend CPAC, just because their belief in big government is shared by a few conservatives? Should there be a Fabian Socialist booth?

As for Charlie’s position, this is a very old argument on the right and around here. I think it was Bill Buckley who said — amidst a discussion of Ayn Rand — that one didn’t need to be religious or a believer to be conservative, but one needed to have respect for the religious or “the transcendent.” I can’t find the exact quote. This standard put Rand outside the ranks of conservatism, by Bill’s lights. But it leaves plenty of room for people like Charlie, I think. I know plenty of good conservatives who are atheists or agnostics. But because they are conservatives, they understand that simply throwing the bleach of militant atheism on culture, custom, and tradition to dissolve any hint of God or religion would be folly.

***

Here is an eye-opener for you: Some people wonder more about the First Mover than you or I do. Some people find scientific explanations implausible or unsatisfying.

This does not make them fools; it makes them of a different personality type than you or I.

Now, you will say they’re wrong about what they believe; I’ll say I agree with you.

But you are essentially doing the same thing a gay-hater does when he knocks him for being gay. The religious were born with a quixotic nature, a need to look beyond the tangible and mundane.

You and I weren’t.

We should no more be “proud” of this than we’re proud of our sexualities or our eye color.

***

Indeed, given the troubled waters into which American religious liberty has of late been pushed, it strikes me that conservatives ought to be courting atheists — not shunning them. I will happily take to the barricades for religious conscience rights, not least because my own security as a heretic is bound up with that of those who differ from me, and because a truly free country seeks to leave alone as many people as possible — however eccentric I might find their views or they might find mine. In my experience at least, it is Progressivism and not conservatism that is eternally hostile to variation and to individual belief, and, while we are constantly told that the opposite is the case, it is those who pride themselves on being secular who seem more likely and more keen to abridge my liberties than those who pride themselves on being religious. That I do not share the convictions of the religious by no means implies that I wish for the state to reach into their lives. Nevertheless, religious conservatives will find themselves without many friends if they allow figures such as Mr. Bozell to shoo away the few atheists who are sympathetic to their broader cause…

A great deal of the friction between atheists and conservatives seems to derive from a reasonable question. “If you don’t consider that human beings are entitled to ‘God given’ liberties,” I am often asked, “don’t you believe that the unalienable rights that you spend your days defending are merely the product of ancient legal accidents or of the one-time whims of transient majorities?” Well, no, not really. As far as I can see, the American settlement can thrive perfectly well within my worldview. God or no God, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence are all built upon centuries of English law, human experience, and British and European philosophy, and the natural law case for them stands nicely on its own. Thomas Jefferson, who penned the Declaration, was not a religious man in any broad sense but a Deist, and his use of the term “Nature’s God” in laying out the framework for the new country was no accident. Jefferson was by no means an “atheist” — at least not in any modern sense: He believed in the moral teachings of Jesus; his work owed a great debt to the culture of toleration that English Protestantism had fostered; and, like almost all 18th-century thinkers, he believed in a prime mover. Nevertheless, he ultimately rejected the truth claims of revealed religion (and the Divine Right of Kings that he believed such a position inevitably yielded) and he relied instead on a “Creator” who looked like the God of Deism and not of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob…

“Of the nature of this being,” Jefferson wrote to John Adams in 1817, “we know nothing.” Neither do I. Indeed, I do not believe that there is a “being” at all. And yet one can reasonably easily take Jefferson’s example and, without having to have an answer as to what created the world, merely rely upon the same sources as he did — upon Locke and Newton and Cicero and Bacon and, ultimately, upon one’s own human reason. From this, one can argue that the properties of the universe suggest self-ownership, that this self-ownership yields certain rights that should be held to be unalienable, and that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. After all, that’s what we’re all fighting for. Right?

***

From September 2013.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6 7

williamg on February 28, 2014 at 2:44 AM

That’s one thing my Oldest Dear Son (ODS) gets with his guitar lessons–music theory (a lost art, I assure you), and that helps him when he practices.

Maybe, with practice, you can regain that skill?

Newtie and the Beauty on February 28, 2014 at 2:48 AM

williamg on February 28, 2014 at 2:44 AM

I’m more comfortable with al-ten, but I can do alto (all things considered) depending on the artist.

Newtie and the Beauty on February 28, 2014 at 2:48 AM

Liked the ref to the alien song Lanceman, from Coasttocoast, cute that!!

Scrumpy on February 28, 2014 at 2:43 AM

I thought that was a woman singing that originally.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM

There is entirely to much ‘nastiness’ going on round here lately, and I don’t like it.

Personal issues need to be resolved away from HA and QOTD!

Email or what ever but keep it away from here…

If this doesn’t stop, I won’t be back for a long time.

So, chill out folks…

Pachelbel in D Major…

Enjoy! :)

Scrumpy on February 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM

God Bless everyone :)

Good Night!!

** swoosh **

Scrumpy on February 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Night Scrumpy.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Scrumpy on February 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Another lost art. In music classes in grade school, we learned about the classics. Very soothing, they can be!

Newtie and the Beauty on February 28, 2014 at 2:51 AM

Scrumpy on February 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Niters and sleep well, Scrumpy!

Newtie and the Beauty on February 28, 2014 at 2:52 AM

And here you are, so I must assume she ran to you to ‘report’, since I never see you on QOTD

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 2:47 AM

Nope been working. I usually read quite a bit, but work and school keep me from saying much. Either way that was a stupid jerk move, and you know it.

Maybe you should let someone fight their own fights? Since they are the ones who started them to begin with?

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 2:53 AM

Adele – Rolling in the Deep

And on that note, I bid Friends and Lurkers niters and sleep well!

Newtie and the Beauty on February 28, 2014 at 2:54 AM

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 2:53 AM

What the hell did I just tell you? I said SHE came after me!

And just so you understand, I learned her identity from someone else, not Antwerp.

Why don’t you tell her that if she just plans on coming in here only to start insulting people to just stay out? She came in here making one insult per night. Hit ‘n’ run. Like a childish troll.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 2:56 AM

And on that note, I bid Friends and Lurkers niters and sleep well!

Newtie and the Beauty on February 28, 2014 at 2:54 AM

Yeah, me too. The mood’s dead now anyway.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 2:57 AM

What the hell did I just tell you? I said SHE came after me!

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 2:56 AM

And you have never insulted anyone? Pot meet kettle.

You may not realize it, but you do the same thing. Tidings come upon those who don’t realize the impact.

With that, have a great night lance. It’s going to be interesting from here on out.

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 3:00 AM

That awkward moment, in the wee hours of the night, when one sees one make another her prison trollop.

frank on February 28, 2014 at 3:01 AM

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 3:00 AM

I don’t search people out and purposely insult them. Trolls? You better believe it. But going out of my way to come into someplace I’ve never been just to attack specific people? I think not.

But like I said, you do what you want.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 3:03 AM

frank on February 28, 2014 at 3:01 AM

Indeed.

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 3:04 AM

But like I said, you do what you want.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Don’t worry lance…. addresses are easy. Remember.

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 3:07 AM

onesheep may stay. I need people to fvck with. HillAbeans had to go. She’s a disruption.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 1:35 AM

They’re both disruptions. Who needs or wants to encourage that kind of drama?

non-nonpartisan on February 28, 2014 at 3:09 AM

Don’t worry lance…. addresses are easy. Remember.

Almost sounds like a threat.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 3:12 AM

Regarding this topic…

I have to admit something.

I am suspicious and on-guard when I know someone is an atheist. I am inclined to see them as cold and empty. It’s like if I learn, before getting to know someone, that they don’t like like puppies… or babies… or Disney stuff…. I go into the situation thinking they aren’t a warm person and have no sweet sentimentality.

I know that I shouldn’t and have known many wonderful people of many religious backgrounds, but it’s still something that goes through my mind.

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 3:13 AM

Almost sounds like a threat.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 3:12 AM

You know, it isn’t. But interesting that you went there ;)

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 3:14 AM

I also think the atheist will be a real ass and judgmental and arrogant and a prick.

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 3:14 AM

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 3:14 AM

Not all, just some.

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 3:16 AM

You know, it isn’t. But interesting that you went there ;)
upinak on February 28, 2014 at 3:14 AM

Only because you pretty much said the same.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Now I know that someone isn’t an ass just because they are an atheist, obviously, but my guard just goes up upon learning of that characteristic, and it goes up in a way that it doesn’t for almost any other kind of person. It’s more of a subconscious thing.

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 3:17 AM

Regarding this topic…

I have to admit something.

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 3:13 AM

Why do you say you shouldn’t? Atheism itself is empty and cold, so it’s only natural to make the inferences you do.

non-nonpartisan on February 28, 2014 at 3:17 AM

Simferopol Airport, Simferopol’, Crimea, UA
1m

Sevastapol airport: military blockade Simferopol airport: patrolled by armed men #Ukraine crisis, continuing coverage http://t.co/CvOb2WkSVd – @BBCBreaking
see original on twitter.com

===========================================================

Crimea, UA
54m
—-
Ukraine’s interior minister accuses Russian military of blockading Sevastopol airport in Crimea, in “armed invasion” http://t.co/Mup5mJFPcR – @BBCBreaking
===============

Ukraine crisis: Crimean airports blockaded

Key Points

Russian military blockade the airport in Sevastopol, home of Russia’s Black Sea Fleet, in Crimea, Ukraine’s only Russian-majority region
Armed men, some of them in Russian uniform, patrol the other main Crimean airport, in Simferopol
Ukraine’s ousted president, Viktor Yanukovych, now in Russia, is expected to hold news conference later on Friday
US calls on all sides to “step back and avoid any kind of provocations”
Crimean parliament announces plans for referendum in May on greater autonomy
All times GMT

Julia Smirnova, Die Welt Reporter tweets: Road to Sevastopol airport blocked by armed people
==========================

Julia Smirnova ‏@smirnova_welt

Road to Sevastopol airport blocked by armed people pic.twitter.com/5SjZoyMlCG

canopfor on February 28, 2014 at 3:18 AM

Only because you pretty much said the same.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Whatever you want to think. I am not going to look you up, it takes away from my FreeTime.

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 3:18 AM

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 3:16 AM

Oh, you are totally right. It’s just more of an uneasiness that comes over me. Yes, you could say it is a prejudice. I was just thinking about it the other day.

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 3:19 AM

Maybe, with practice, you can regain that skill?

Newtie and the Beauty on February 28, 2014 at 2:48 AM

Oh – I can still “read” music……I just can’t “sight read” like I used to when I was between 8 or 9 and 12. “Sight reading” meant that I would sit at the piano – and you would drop some sheet music in front of me that I had never seen or heard before – and I’d just start playing it – in time and tempo, just the way it was written. In choir – I could immediately sing the melody I needed to……..

….I have to think about it these days……but the music theory is all still there….just not the sounds in my ear and the reaction time……

williamg on February 28, 2014 at 3:24 AM

Scrumpy on February 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM

Scrumpy!! Missed you!

williamg on February 28, 2014 at 3:25 AM

non-nonpartisan on February 28, 2014 at 3:17 AM

Yeah, you’re right.

I just think that I personally had been too quick to keep people at a distance over it. It was just something that I would always remember and would be in the back of my mind.

Maybe the uneasiness I have felt hasn’t been a bad thing. I just hope it doesn’t prevent me from getting to know or getting close to people who are otherwise terrific.

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 3:26 AM

As long as they are non-liberal atheists, that is! Haha

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 3:27 AM

williamg on February 28, 2014 at 2:44 AM

Newtie and the Beauty on February 28, 2014 at 2:48 AM

……: )

williamg on February 28, 2014 at 3:27 AM

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 3:00 AM

PikerCott in effect. So why are you here?

I’m here because I’m not a piker.

SparkPlug on February 28, 2014 at 3:28 AM

I’m an atheist atheist. I don’t believe in atheists.

SparkPlug on February 28, 2014 at 3:29 AM

Pachelbel in D Major…

Enjoy! :)

Scrumpy on February 28, 2014 at 2:49 AM

…..always one of my favorites, Scrumpy!

williamg on February 28, 2014 at 3:30 AM

It takes a real atheist atheist atheist to not belive in atheist atheists.

SparkPlug on February 28, 2014 at 3:30 AM

Yeah, you’re right.

bluegill on February 28, 2014 at 3:26 AM

The fact you’re thinking about it is a good sign.

I’ve been friends with atheists. I know the good ones have cared about me, not that they could have really helped me address any spiritual concerns I’ve had over the years, however. I feel for them, because their mentality is sad and unfulfilling at its core.

non-nonpartisan on February 28, 2014 at 3:34 AM

PikerCott in effect. So why are you here?

I’m here because I’m not a piker.

SparkPlug on February 28, 2014 at 3:28

Wow, are they still doing those? I come around occasionally. When the elections start, you see people come out of the woodwork and the elections are starting up again. Fun times.

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 3:35 AM

Operation American Spring

davidk on February 28, 2014 at 3:38 AM

There ought to be one day — just one — when there is open season on senators.~Will Rogers

Operation American Spring

davidk on February 28, 2014 at 3:40 AM

I feel for them, because their mentality is sad and unfulfilling at its core.

non-nonpartisan on February 28, 2014 at 3:34 AM

What condescending ignorance.

IndieDogg on February 28, 2014 at 3:52 AM

Those calling themselves atheists AND conservative had better reconcile themselves to the fact that what informs American Conservatism is the Biblical perspective (it is what is being CONSERVED) and what informs and has always informed Communism, its historical ENEMY, is European Enlightenment.

Cleombrotus on February 28, 2014 at 4:06 AM

What condescending ignorance.

IndieDogg on February 28, 2014 at 3:52 AM

I’m glad you shared your opinion with me. I hope it made you feel better.

non-nonpartisan on February 28, 2014 at 4:07 AM

And these two divergent influences are NOT compatible. They CANNOT peacefully co-exist.

Cleombrotus on February 28, 2014 at 4:09 AM

I am convinced that whatever theological positions Thomas Jefferson held in this life, from his perspective in eternity he wishes he could have changed them while he had the opportunity.

Cleombrotus on February 28, 2014 at 4:12 AM

The right to freedom is the gift of God Almighty….The rights of the Colonists as Christians may be best understood by reading, and carefully studying the institutes of the great Lawgiver and head of the Christian Church: which are to be found clearly written and promuligated in the New Testament.

Sam Adams

Cleombrotus on February 28, 2014 at 4:25 AM

Ok you don’t like Gene try this:http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=XzbdY_rPtjw

celtic warrior on February 28, 2014 at 5:13 AM

so sad that folks don’t know who He is….

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 5:54 AM

“I would rather live my life as if there is a God, and die to find out there isn’t, than live my life as if there isn’t, and die to find out there is.”

Flora Duh on February 28, 2014 at 6:03 AM

Flora Duh on February 28, 2014 at 6:03 AM

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:06 AM

morning joe loves what rand paul is saying to the tea party…

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:08 AM

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

My condolences to you and your family.

Flora Duh on February 28, 2014 at 6:09 AM

i love how the left makes sure that one quote from someone means that the entire gop thinks that way…but if a dem says something outrageous, they won’t connect them the entire dem party….

some RNC guy was trying to explain this to erin burnett last night…

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:13 AM

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:08 AM

now joe says he like Ted Cruz.
“conservative” joe must be actually thinking of running.

renalin on February 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM

morning joe back on christie.

renalin on February 28, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Nt is NOT cool. She, onesheep(UPI’s sock), and Upi claim to be conservative-but conservatives wouldn’t get off on attacking a fellow conservative…me. they are trash trolls.
If they spent half as much time attacking the left as they do me…
Peggyy and Michelle-and Upi…GROW UP.
*They’re immature little ‘mean girls’. They won’t.*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2014 at 6:23 AM

renalin on February 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM

indeed

renalin on February 28, 2014 at 6:20 AM

i think they are the only station that still talks about him….

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:24 AM

rick stengel up next. (former time mag now a seat in the obama administration)

is anyone going to ask him if theirs a conflict of interest?

renalin on February 28, 2014 at 6:26 AM

jaxisaneurophysicist on February 28, 2014 at 2:17 AM

I was diagnosed by a therapist when I was 33.
That’s not unusual for a Gen X Aspie. I embrace who I am.

There’s nothin’ wrong w/ being quirky.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2014 at 6:30 AM

renalin on February 28, 2014 at 6:26 AM

who doesn’t work for the administration…good lapdogs

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Good Morning, Patriots! And, Trolls.

For I agree, that “there is no liberty, if the power of judging be not separated from the legislative and executive powers.

- Alexander Hamilton

My take: Judicial Activism Vs. Freedom of Religion: Using Judges to Overturn the Will of the People

kingsjester on February 28, 2014 at 6:38 AM

morning ALT…was spawn accepted to go overseas?

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:39 AM

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:39 AM

Yes. Gotta head out to work. Later.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2014 at 6:46 AM

kingsjester on February 28, 2014 at 6:38 AM

great take KJ….

read it folks

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:48 AM

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:48 AM

Thank you, ma’am!

kingsjester on February 28, 2014 at 6:48 AM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2014 at 6:46 AM

wonderful….have a great day

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:49 AM

Why did you want a booth at CPAC?

Oh please! This was no more about raising awareness about faithless conservatives than those gays in Arizona legitimately wanted a wedding cake from the only baker to tell them no.

It’s what the left does. Destroy for no other reason than they don’t like the views of others. They can all go to hell (and according to the Bible, they will).

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 7:12 AM

Exactly right.

kingsjester on February 28, 2014 at 7:17 AM

If they spent half as much time attacking the left as they do me…
Peggyy and Michelle-and Upi…GROW UP.
*They’re immature little ‘mean girls’. They won’t.*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2014 at 6:23 AM

consider the battle line drawn.

bring your best weapon, that lil pea shooter mouth of yours won’t cut it. maybe your b Lanceman will have your back, like usual.

ProudinNC on February 28, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Almost sounds like a threat.

Lanceman on February 28, 2014 at 3:12 AM

You know, it isn’t. But interesting that you went there ;)

upinak on February 28, 2014 at 3:14 AM

I took it as either an inside joke that I missed or a very odd statement. Not that my opinion counts, but hey its free.

HonestLib on February 28, 2014 at 7:21 AM

morning joe back on christie.

renalin on February 28, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Somebody, at some time, is going have to explain to me why in the hell Chris Christie is seen as the future of the GOP. Because as far as I’m concerned if the fat bully from the Northeast is even a close second- I’m out of the GOP for good.

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 7:22 AM

m

orning joe loves what rand paul is saying to the tea party…

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:08 AM

That means that Rand is lecturing them on “inclusiveness” of the surrender weasels or something.

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 7:25 AM

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:08 AM

now joe says he like Ted Cruz.
“conservative” joe must be actually thinking of running.

renalin on February 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM

Right there is an example of real life skeletons in your closet. Never was able to find real detials about what happened.

HonestLib on February 28, 2014 at 7:25 AM

You would be correct HN

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 7:38 AM

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 6:08 AM

now joe says he like Ted Cruz.
“conservative” joe must be actually thinking of running.

renalin on February 28, 2014 at 6:16 AM

HonestLib on February 28, 2014 at 7:25 AM

He went to SC to give a speech.

*blech*

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 7:42 AM

Unexpectedly

“A Florida TV station reports that a man has spent 50-60 hours trying to cancel his Obamacare plan, and he still can’t get off it…

“We are hearing about a new problem that involves the Affordable Care Act,” said the anchor. “People who signed up for coverage are finding it impossible to cancel their plans. Channel 9′s Lori Brown spoke with an Orlando man who has been trying unsuccessfully to cancel for more than six weeks now.”

“Andrew Robinson was looking forward to getting health insurance through the Affordable Care Act. He has a small publishing business and works part time, so he hasn’t had coverage. In early January he signed up for a plan that cost nearly $300 a month. About a half hour later he and his wife realized they could barely afford that. They quickly found a less expensive plan through Humana for $116 a month,” says the reporter.

“I immediately called back the Florida Blue and asked them to cancel the policy I just set up,” says Robinson.

“But he quickly learned canceling Obamacare is no easy task. … More than six weeks later after spending 50 to 60 hours on the phone his policy is still not canceled and he is still waiting for the payment Florida Blue withdrew from his account to be refunded….”

Once in…in Forever…

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM

morning joe back on christie.

renalin on February 28, 2014 at 6:20 AM

Yet they have no time to devote to Deval Patrick who is now responsible for some pretty horrific things in Massachusetts, like missing, abused, neglected and dead children, but by all means, lets talk about traffic.

If you haven’t heard about the DCF and DTA scandals in Mass, ask yourself why and then look into them, but do take a strong drink and sit down first.

dogsoldier on February 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Wca…… hotel California obamacare

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Dogsoldier….. crickets….. haven’t heard a peep…..it’ll come up if he runs against Hillary

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Who couldn’t see this happening…

“Just hours before the bankruptcy filing, Japanese Finance Minister Taro Aso had scoffed that a collapse was only inevitable.

“No one recognizes them as a real currency,” he told reporters. “I expected such a thing to collapse.”

Japan’s financial regulators have been reluctant to intervene in the Mt. Gox situation, saying they don’t have jurisdiction over something that’s not a real currency…”

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 7:55 AM

Wca…… hotel California obamacare

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 7:55 AM

No kidding.

He shoulda been reading the tech blogs and comment threads…and conservative commentary.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 7:59 AM

dogsoldier on February 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM

First I heard about this and since I trust your posts I know there is something there. Going to go take a look. Thanks for the heads up.

HonestLib on February 28, 2014 at 8:00 AM

Indeed wca

cmsinaz on February 28, 2014 at 8:04 AM

kingsjester on February 28, 2014 at 6:38 AM

…very appropriate take!

KOOLAID2 on February 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Clearly the FCC needs to shut down that Florida TV station for lying about Obamacare. Paging Harry Reid!

Seriously, why on earth would somebody want to cancel their Obamacare plan? It is what frees you up from job lock. It provides you with birth control. It shows that you aren’t a racist and a hater.

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM

dogsoldier on February 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM

100′s of kids missing from the foster care system and hospitals seizing controlling custody of sick kids?

These bureaucrats have too much power and no accountability.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 8:08 AM

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM

He’s obviously a bald-faced LIAR !

pambi on February 28, 2014 at 8:09 AM

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM

I just see him as representative of most americans who are fairly ignorant of the situation. Most people just kinda glance at some issues…and then when they’re hit up side the head with the consequences…They’re baffled.

He probably said to himself “Surely if there’s a problemo there’s some sort of agency I can run to to fix it cause that’s what gubmint does…maybe try consumer affairs or something…”

Only now he’s stuck and he’s realizing that was a bygone era.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 8:16 AM

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 7:52 AM

He’s obviously a bald-faced LIAR !

pambi on February 28, 2014 at 8:09 AM

I imagine he’ll be accused of baking subversive anti-social cakes on Facebook.

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 8:20 AM

kingsjester on February 28, 2014 at 6:38 AM

Good one, kj. But it begs the question, what exactly can be done about it? Are we to descend into rule by judicial fiat? This issue has vexed me more so than any other, I think, and I’m perplexed as to what legal recourse the citizenry has to it.

Cleombrotus on February 28, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 8:05 AM

He signed up for the BC/BS plan, then realized a few minutes later he could get a cheaper plan through Humana, so he signed with them.
He immediately contacted BC/BS to cancel his plan, they told him it would be. They lied and still deducted the money from his bank account.

Florida Obamacare Plans are Nearly Impossible to Cancel

Flora Duh on February 28, 2014 at 8:29 AM

workingclass artist on February 28, 2014 at 8:16 AM

This situation points out something I’ve been saying all along. Enrollment was supposed to be the easy bit. The actual operation of Obamacare (disenrollment, filing claims, etc.) that’s the challenging part. It appears that Florida, in any case, isn’t ready for the actual administration of Obamacare.

Happy Nomad on February 28, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Cleombrotus on February 28, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I’m right there with you.

kingsjester on February 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM

jaxisaneurophysicist on February 28, 2014 at 2:17 AM

I was diagnosed by a therapist when I was 33.
That’s not unusual for a Gen X Aspie. I embrace who I am.

There’s nothin’ wrong w/ being quirky.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 28, 2014 at 6:30 AM

quirky ain’t autistic. don’t claim what you are not. aspies aren’t attention grabbers…. quite the opposite as a matter of fact.

ProudinNC on February 28, 2014 at 8:39 AM

Huh, so it’s genetic.

Akzed on February 28, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Cleombrotus on February 28, 2014 at 8:25 AM

I’m right there with you.

kingsjester on February 28, 2014 at 8:37 AM

Slow this morning but finally took your take. Your first paragraph is some of your best stuff. I like your writing style more and more.

As to the content, you know I’m near lock step in your opinion as to The Constitution and it’s seeming reversal as a document of protection for us into a weapon that can be used against us. But only used against us if enough people are convinced of an interpretation. I’ve been told by a liberal friend that, “If Conservatives don’t like their legislation consistently struck down, stop writing law in opposition The Constitution.” Let’s not even begin to talk about the unConstitutional nature of a government forcing it’s citizens to buy healthcare plans that only it approves and consider what this liberal friend said in it’s basic terms. Time and again the people’s will is struck down on the premise of Constitutionality. Where we lose each and every time is in the oppositions characterization and then the liberal media’s support of their assertions. We will never win another argument on issues if our media can’t be returned to some level of objectivity.

As far as the AZ Law, it never made it to a point of being analyzed for Constitutionality by any bench because of Brewers veto. But it was not the law that liberals and media represented and it died of media pressure and threats based on their characterization.

Any difficulty we talk about here is at least partially rectified by a more objective media.

hawkdriver on February 28, 2014 at 8:57 AM