Quotes of the day

posted at 10:41 pm on February 27, 2014 by Allahpundit

On Tuesday, American Atheists President David Silverman received a phone call from American Conservative Union Executive Director Dan Schneider informing him that the ACU board is breaking its agreement to permit American Atheists to host an information booth at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), March 6-8.

According to Silverman, Schneider cited “the tone” in the quote “The Christian right should be threatened by us.”, which was in a Tuesday CNN article, as the reason for the revocation. This reversal came just hours after a press release from American Atheists announcing the booth, one week before the conference…

“Continuing to conflate religion and conservatism is not a viable strategy; this was apparently too scary for CPAC attendees to hear,” Silverman said. “America’s religious conservatives can deny it all they want, but soon they’re going to realize that ignoring the growing number of atheist constituents is a losing proposition.”

***

Why did you want a booth at CPAC?

To raise the awareness of the fact that 20 percent of America’s conservatives are non-religious people — they never pray, according to Pew …

And they should include the non-religious in their talks … They should acknowledge the non-religious. And they should rethink the conservative marriage with Christianity …

Conservatism is declining, obviously … And the reason that they are suffering is because they are doing the wrong thing, by taking the fastest growing … religious demographic in the country — the fastest-growing in all 50 states — and shoving it off to the side for the sake of Jesus …

What CPAC has done is effectively bury its head in the sand, and is pretending that things aren’t changing. They are pretending that atheists aren’t relevant. And they are pretending that Christianity still holds water in American society.

***

Although the many conservatives are uncomfortable with atheists, it’s not clear that the atheist movement is necessarily much more comfortable with conservatives. When Edwina Rogers, who had previously worked for Senator Trent Lott and President George W. Bush, was tapped as Executive Director of the Secular Coalition of America, Greta Christina, a popular atheist writer, said that her work as a Republican was “a real problem” and that the aims of the GOP were “diametrically opposed to those of the atheist and secular community.” Christina subsequently resigned her membership in the SCA, when she felt that Rogers did not adequately address these concerns.

***

Before the 1990s, Republicans won as much as 43 percent of non-religious voters, but suddenly began losing them by a 2 to 1 margin just as the group began to grow. By 2008, voters with no religion had grown to 12 percent of the electorate – more than Hispanics – and Barack Obama won them in 2008 and 2012 with wider margins than any previous Democrat. Mitt Romney narrowed the gap in 2012, though at 44 points he was hardly competitive. It’s important to note that most of these voters are not full-on atheists espousing intense opposition to religion on principle, but agnostic or “nothing in particular.”*

Why did this shift happen? In their book American Grace, sociologists David Campbell and Robert Putnam argue that the rising number of “nones” and their increasing Democratic tilt are a reaction to the Republican Party’s tightening alignment with Christian conservatives since the 1980s. In one recent example, a 2012 Pew Research Center poll found two in three religiously unaffiliated Americans agreeing that religious conservatives have too much control over the Republican Party.

***

According to CPAC’s spokeswoman, Meghan Snyder, Silverman, in a conversation with her about his comments, pledged to attack the very idea that Christianity is an important element of conservatism. Snyder adds: “People of any faith tradition should not be attacked for their beliefs, especially at our conference. He has left us with no choice but to return his money.”

So what exactly is the controversy here? Why should the country’s chief conservative conference welcome a group that is not conservative and is antagonistic towards many conservatives’ belief systems? And as for the idea of an embracing “big tent,” should CPAC open up shop to gun-control groups, too, under that big tent?

America is grappling to define conservatism. In a movement that once combated “amnesty, abortion, and acid,” nowadays (a) one cannot throw a rock without hitting a GOP politico pushing for amnesty for illegal immigrants, (b) a not-insignificant chunk of conservatives in private shrug over abortion, and (c) drug legalization makes immense headway. So while a big-tent philosophy welcoming of respectful atheists and agnostics is certainly the right course, make no mistake: If no tenet of conservatism will survive the night, let the movement at least — while welcoming non-believers — treasure and respect the faithful.

***

Many CPAC attendees believe in God. Inviting a non-conservative group that thinks the God-believers are all idiots in need of “enlightenment” makes little sense to me. Put it this way. Most conservatives believe in limited government. Some believe in big government. I think such people are wrong but should be allowed to make their case — because they share a common desire to advance the conservative cause. But there are lots of non-conservatives who also believe in big government to advance the liberal cause. Should they be allowed to attend CPAC, just because their belief in big government is shared by a few conservatives? Should there be a Fabian Socialist booth?

As for Charlie’s position, this is a very old argument on the right and around here. I think it was Bill Buckley who said — amidst a discussion of Ayn Rand — that one didn’t need to be religious or a believer to be conservative, but one needed to have respect for the religious or “the transcendent.” I can’t find the exact quote. This standard put Rand outside the ranks of conservatism, by Bill’s lights. But it leaves plenty of room for people like Charlie, I think. I know plenty of good conservatives who are atheists or agnostics. But because they are conservatives, they understand that simply throwing the bleach of militant atheism on culture, custom, and tradition to dissolve any hint of God or religion would be folly.

***

Here is an eye-opener for you: Some people wonder more about the First Mover than you or I do. Some people find scientific explanations implausible or unsatisfying.

This does not make them fools; it makes them of a different personality type than you or I.

Now, you will say they’re wrong about what they believe; I’ll say I agree with you.

But you are essentially doing the same thing a gay-hater does when he knocks him for being gay. The religious were born with a quixotic nature, a need to look beyond the tangible and mundane.

You and I weren’t.

We should no more be “proud” of this than we’re proud of our sexualities or our eye color.

***

Indeed, given the troubled waters into which American religious liberty has of late been pushed, it strikes me that conservatives ought to be courting atheists — not shunning them. I will happily take to the barricades for religious conscience rights, not least because my own security as a heretic is bound up with that of those who differ from me, and because a truly free country seeks to leave alone as many people as possible — however eccentric I might find their views or they might find mine. In my experience at least, it is Progressivism and not conservatism that is eternally hostile to variation and to individual belief, and, while we are constantly told that the opposite is the case, it is those who pride themselves on being secular who seem more likely and more keen to abridge my liberties than those who pride themselves on being religious. That I do not share the convictions of the religious by no means implies that I wish for the state to reach into their lives. Nevertheless, religious conservatives will find themselves without many friends if they allow figures such as Mr. Bozell to shoo away the few atheists who are sympathetic to their broader cause…

A great deal of the friction between atheists and conservatives seems to derive from a reasonable question. “If you don’t consider that human beings are entitled to ‘God given’ liberties,” I am often asked, “don’t you believe that the unalienable rights that you spend your days defending are merely the product of ancient legal accidents or of the one-time whims of transient majorities?” Well, no, not really. As far as I can see, the American settlement can thrive perfectly well within my worldview. God or no God, the Constitution, the Bill of Rights, and the Declaration of Independence are all built upon centuries of English law, human experience, and British and European philosophy, and the natural law case for them stands nicely on its own. Thomas Jefferson, who penned the Declaration, was not a religious man in any broad sense but a Deist, and his use of the term “Nature’s God” in laying out the framework for the new country was no accident. Jefferson was by no means an “atheist” — at least not in any modern sense: He believed in the moral teachings of Jesus; his work owed a great debt to the culture of toleration that English Protestantism had fostered; and, like almost all 18th-century thinkers, he believed in a prime mover. Nevertheless, he ultimately rejected the truth claims of revealed religion (and the Divine Right of Kings that he believed such a position inevitably yielded) and he relied instead on a “Creator” who looked like the God of Deism and not of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob…

“Of the nature of this being,” Jefferson wrote to John Adams in 1817, “we know nothing.” Neither do I. Indeed, I do not believe that there is a “being” at all. And yet one can reasonably easily take Jefferson’s example and, without having to have an answer as to what created the world, merely rely upon the same sources as he did — upon Locke and Newton and Cicero and Bacon and, ultimately, upon one’s own human reason. From this, one can argue that the properties of the universe suggest self-ownership, that this self-ownership yields certain rights that should be held to be unalienable, and that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness. After all, that’s what we’re all fighting for. Right?

***

From September 2013.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 7

Atheist Bishop?!?

PolAgnostic on February 27, 2014 at 10:41 PM

Now to lay down a cordon of temporal protection mines …

PolAgnostic on February 27, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Atheists have no future.

The existence of God is obvious. There is evidence ALL AROUND US. Could a universe this orderly POSSIBLY be random happenstance?

ConstantineXI on February 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Evenin’ I’m barely awake so i’ll only be here a short bit.

I know who my troll-onesheep-is…and I know who’s sock she is.
I have eyes EVERYWHERE.
*evil laugh*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM

I get up around 5 AM CST-so bed very soon.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Gonna spill it?

KCB on February 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Vaginapohobe

rik on February 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Vajayjayohobe

rik on February 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Pushy Christians are annoying. Pushy atheists are even worse. American Atheists don’t belong at CPAC.

non-nonpartisan on February 27, 2014 at 10:48 PM

King Harvest – Dancing in the Moonlight

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Good evening, Newtie. Good song.

You really should have put out your own cordon of mines.

I had you as 3rd … but ConstantineXI got you shifted down to fourth on the refresh.

;->

PolAgnostic on February 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM

It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg. – Thomas Jefferson

VorDaj on February 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM

CPACian dolts. The lot of ‘em.

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM

…when you do find out there is a God…it may be too late!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM

I won’t give up onesheep’s name-because of security-but I WILL say that she a former FB friend who unfriended me after newtown. Her handle suits her.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

PolAgnostic on February 27, 2014 at 10:49 PM

No problem, Pol. Besides, in my short time here, I’ve got a couple of Bishops under my belt.

Life is good… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

What did Christie have to say about it?

viking01 on February 27, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Have they compared atheism to slavery, yet?

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Life is good… ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

;-)

KCB on February 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM

Now. Who may I fvck with tonight? Where’s frank?

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Your grandfather sounds like an awesome man, Wolly. My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM

so bed very soon.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM

You cannot leave for a while.

If you leave when I do, now, people will start to think.

King Harvest – Dancing in the Moonlight

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM

I like you.

cozmo on February 27, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 10:54 PM

I gotta hit the hay. Maybe sheepy will show up.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM

The next great movement..? Atheist cakes, anyone?

d1carter on February 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Wait–where are all the ghey threads tonight? Newtie missed all the culture club and Right said Fred…

Doc Holliday on February 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

*hug*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I gotta hit the hay. Maybe sheepy will show up.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Hehehe.

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM

I now own a 7.7jap with a bullet mark in the stock.

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM

The suns and planets that form the constellations of the billion billion solar systems and go pouring through the viewless arteries of space are the blood corpuscles in the veins of God, and the countless variation of species are but the microbes that swarm and wiggle and brag in each, and to think God can tell them apart at that distance and has nothing better to do than try. This is the entertainment of an eternity. Who so poor in his ambitions as to consent to be God on those terms?

RasThavas on February 27, 2014 at 10:58 PM

I now own a 7.7jap with a bullet mark in the stock.

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM

That would be an Arisaka. Get back to me when you get a baby nambu.

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Her name certainly fits.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM

Ratso hates the cold…

OmahaConservative on February 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM

excerpt from news article at atheists.org/

There’s NO EXCUSE for anyone claiming to be a Christian believer, to be afraid, feel “threatened”, or anything else … over the presence of a booth by the “American Atheists”.

There’s no excuse for anyone claiming to be a Christian believer to be afraid of a “gay activist” booth, trying to promote SSM.

That’s an opportunity for real EVANGELISM … and not “fear.”

listens2glenn on February 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Doc Holliday on February 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM

How my sister cleared the guys out of the house so she could CLEAN it

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:01 PM

whose gonna bake the atheists a cake?

brushingmyhair on February 27, 2014 at 11:03 PM

whose gonna bake the atheists a cake?

brushingmyhair on February 27, 2014 at 11:03 PM

You can, sweetie. You can open a box, right?

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Ratso hates the cold…
OmahaConservative on February 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Me too. Where were you last night? You missed everyone beating up on HillArewe.

Doc Holliday on February 27, 2014 at 11:03 PM

conservatives are as particular about who gets a booth as they are about their cake baking.

brushingmyhair on February 27, 2014 at 11:04 PM

I heart you too.

annoyinglittletwerp on December 14, 2013 at 8:18 PM

Just so you know, I am going to defriend you. I hate getting an email every time you update.

Of course, I have to remember how to find my page and sign in before I can do that. So, it might be a while.

cozmo on December 14, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:04 PM

Maybe sheepy will show up.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Nope, they are afraid you will shoot them for trespassing… <— insert evil laughter here…

oscarwilde on February 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM

listens2glenn on February 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM

There’s more to that story, L2G I’ve also seen where American Athiests misrepresented their purpose when procuring said CPAC booth and, once CPAC realized who AA was, they got the boot–and a refund.

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:01 PM

Oh Yeah!! Nobody beats Boy George And Culture club for making the hetero male feel an urgent need to go do something, anything, manly. It’s like needing to take a shower after getting really dirty–you stink until you wash it off….

Doc Holliday on February 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

While you undoubtedly miss him, he had a very full and well spent life.

May God grant comfort and strength to you, your family and friends.

PolAgnostic on February 27, 2014 at 11:07 PM

OmahaConservative on February 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Is that something new, since Ratso’s thermometer *ahem!* went missing?

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Doc Holliday on February 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM

Speaking of showers

The stately Titanic is already half-way under water.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:08 PM

If Killary Loving Pajama Boy doesn’t show up – 400 comments

If he/she does – 800 comments

22044 on February 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Sorry for your loss, wolly.

22044 on February 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM

If Killary Loving Pajama Boy doesn’t show up – 400 comments

If he/she does – 800 comments

22044 on February 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM

I would not bet a penny on it showing up.

The trolls were in the education camp today.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Atheists have no future . . . . .

ConstantineXI on February 27, 2014 at 10:43 PM

No … they have one, it just ‘sucks’.

Spending eternity wishing you’d never been born, wishing you could somehow make yourself ‘cease to exist’, but you can’tS U C K S.

listens2glenn on February 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM

Doc Holliday on February 27, 2014 at 11:06 PM

I don’t know how long the guys stayed away, but when they came back, the house was clean, food was cookin’ on the stove and country was on the stereo ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:10 PM

The next great movement..? Atheist cakes, anyone?

d1carter on February 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM

HA!

workingclass artist on February 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM

i think atheists just turn to like mud and then thats all. atheist mud pies.

brushingmyhair on February 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM

That would be an Arisaka. Get back to me when you get a baby nambu. Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 10:59 PM

You may not understand the hell New Guinea was.

That 7.7 was personal.

He was one of four that came home alive.

They shipped them home in cages.

The japs were eating dead GI’s.

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:08 PM

You noticed that too, eh?

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Wolly–sorry about you’re loss, and a big salute and “thank you” for your grandfather.

Doc Holliday on February 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

…sorry for your loss wolly4321…live in the memories!

KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM

They just couldn’t contain the smug could they…and now they’re b*tchin cause they lost their booth.

workingclass artist on February 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM

Atheist cakes, anyone?

d1carter on February 27, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Mmm! Atheist cake!

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 11:14 PM

cozmo, if you check in, that c/b just a coincidence.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:14 PM

workingclass artist on February 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM

My heart goes out to that sad lot.

Team America: World Police – I’m So Ronery

non-nonpartisan on February 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM

You noticed that too, eh?

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM

Thank you for the link.

I so hope that in MI Carl Levin’s seat will be replaced with the R woman. That w/b sweet justice against that goon.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:19 PM

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM

God Bless your grandfather…and God Bless your family in their time of grief.

workingclass artist on February 27, 2014 at 11:19 PM

That’s an opportunity for real EVANGELISM … and not “fear.”

listens2glenn on February 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Freedom of association necessarily includes a right to exclusion. Believe what you will, but leave the signs at home.

wolfsDad on February 27, 2014 at 11:20 PM

sorry for your loss wolly4321…live in the memories! KOOLAID2 on February 27, 2014 at 11:11 PM

He was a wonderful man. Kind.

But he killed japs at 17. lived during the depression.

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 11:21 PM

For crying out loud. If you’re conservative, why do you have to further define yourself as an atheist conservative or a gay conservative or religious conservative etc… Who cares?

If you have to threaten a group to gain entrance, you don’t belong.

Vince on February 27, 2014 at 11:22 PM

The ate its and the ghe ys. QOTD is becoming interestinger. ;-)

tommy71 on February 27, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Sorry for your loss wolly.

KCB on February 27, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:19 PM

My Congressional Replacement List

Hey, I can dream, can’t I?

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM

I now own a 7.7jap with a bullet mark in the stock.

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 10:57 PM

Dang
… now I’d feel stupid mentioning my latest “toy” …

PolAgnostic on February 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Hiya Ken, hows you?

tommy71 on February 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM

My Grandfather.

A hero.

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Condolences to you and family, wolly.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:24 PM

workingclass artist on February 27, 2014 at 11:12 PM

My heart goes out to that sad lot.

Team America: World Police – I’m So Ronery

non-nonpartisan on February 27, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Being a false idol…It’s a lot of pressure.

*snicker*

workingclass artist on February 27, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Hey, I can dream, can’t I?

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Some real winners on that list.

KCB on February 27, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Hey, I can dream, can’t I?

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Yikes…the first on the list, then Pelosi at the bottom, puke.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM

What’s up tommy?

KCB on February 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 11:21 PM

He answered his Country’s Call, Wolly. Your Dear Grandfather was a special man: He saw the worst life had to offer, knew what he fought for, and was forever thankful that he could share his blessings with his family and friends. He’s to be admired, Dear Wolly.

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:26 PM

And every one of them should be quakin’ in their Birkenstocks, Schade!

Next time, I’ll add a disclaimer, just for you ;-)

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM

Big bunch of pusses better man up quick.

Mass conflaguration is right around the corner, again.

You tell me what generations of my family have fought for.

wolly4321 on February 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM

That’s an opportunity for real EVANGELISM … and not “fear.”

listens2glenn on February 27, 2014 at 11:00 PM

wolfsDad on February 27, 2014 at 11:20 PM

My apologies for any implication on my part, that it was ‘illegal’ or ‘illegitimate’ to exclude them.
I totally agree that the “freedom of association necessarily includes a right to exclusion”.
But always I thought ‘lobbying with signs’ at any political gathering is “par for the coarse”.

listens2glenn on February 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM

“Impeach God?”

Somebody tried that already. It didn’t go well for them.

29Victor on February 27, 2014 at 11:31 PM

And every one of them is a booby prize…

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM

BOOBIES!

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM

KCB on February 27, 2014 at 11:25 PM

And every one of them is a booby prize…

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Not to miss – the communist Surgeon General to be wants to take your guns away, via hospitals/doctors.

Doc, please spread this around

NO one should comply – don’t tell your doctors anything. Don’t say “none of your business”. Just say NO.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Cash

hawkdriver on February 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM

BOOBIES!

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Did someone say boobies?

KCB on February 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM

Here’s a picture of the thug.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:34 PM

Did someone say boobies?

KCB on February 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM

New Tie did.

She’s a nice lady.

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Speaking of misguided Mormons, and Mitt is not even named in the letter.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:36 PM

BOOBIES!

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Did someone say boobies?

KCB on February 27, 2014 at 11:33 PM

You two sound like Rusty Warren fans

Newtie and the Beauty on February 27, 2014 at 11:37 PM

She’s a nice lady.

Lanceman on February 27, 2014 at 11:35 PM

Yes she is.

KCB on February 27, 2014 at 11:38 PM

Sen. Rand Paul has vowed to fight President Barack Obama’s nominee for Surgeon General, Vivek Murthy, due to his connection to the president’s influential political group Organizing for America.

The Kentucky Republican has sent a letter to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid revealing his concerns over whether Dr. Murthy can remain impartial when he has called for stricter gun control laws and “promoted” the Affordable Care Act.

Murthy, 36, a doctor at Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and a lecturer at Harvard Medical School, co-founded Doctors for Obama in 2008, later turning it into Doctors for America which advocated the president’s plans to reform the healthcare insurance system, according to the Washington Post.

Schadenfreude on February 27, 2014 at 11:38 PM