New loathsome nanny-state initiative: Banning bottomless brunches

posted at 9:21 pm on February 26, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Welcome to DeBlasio’s New York. Pretty much the same as Bloomberg’s New York, though hitting people in the Mimosas may be even more painful than the Coke and donuts. For those unacquainted with the brunching habits of the urban East Coaster, those in their late 20s and early 30s—young enough that they’re still partying late enough to need to sleep in but old enough to drop a bit on a decent breakfast—gather in large groups at charming neighborhood establishments for breakfast classics and ever-more-intricate ways to serve bacon accompanied by America’s two approved breakfast cocktails: Bloody Marys and Mimosas. The competition is stiff, both for patrons and restaurants. Customers happily take on long lines, crowded quarters, and awkward table arrangements thanks to the social lubrication afforded by brunch’s most popular deal— the bottomless Bloody or Mimosa. (Yes, this happens plenty of other places, too, but Ed Morrissey requested a definition on TEMS today, so I’m supplying one to all readers.)

As an aside, I’ve long waged war on the term “brunch,” preferring that people stop dressing up their weekend endeavors and acknowledge what they really are. In my world, it’s called Hangover Breakfast. Just because I’m dropping three times as much on it doesn’t mean it’s more dignified than a bacon, egg, & cheese biscuit at Bo’s the day after a college party.

But whatever you call it, this particular special is about to bite the dust in New York City. So cosmopolitan. Chase your dreams! Follow your heart song! Do what feels right, man! Unless what feels right is more than 1.5 Blood Orange Mimosas on a Sunday.

Guys, this might be your final weekend for happiness. No really, I’m serious. The NYC Hospitality Alliance is cracking down. On what, you ask? Kitchen cleanliness? No. Rats? Nope. Bottomless brunches? YES. That’s right, those unlimited deals — on mimosas and Bloody Marys (and whiskey drinks at the swanky joints) — that make Sundays in New York so fun are actually against the law. What’s that? Oh, just the sound of your weekend buzz dying.

Recently there has been press about restaurants around New York City that offer bottomless brunches or unlimited drink offers. In most cases, these type of promotions are UNLAWFUL according to the NYS Liquor Authority (SLA).

HATERS.

Essentially, according to the Alliance, restauranteurs are prohibited from “selling, serving, delivering or offering to patrons an unlimited number of drinks during any set period of time for a fixed price.”

Some may dismiss this kind of thing as silly. It’s certainly a first-world problem. But the uproar on social media about this, from mostly urban liberals, is proof of the truism that the way to people’s hearts is through their stomachs. So, when we’re looking to win hearts and minds, serve more Mimosas.

If you’ve ever wondered how ridiculous liquor laws can get, check out this video made by my friend Caleb Brown a couple years ago, about Virginia’s legal morass:

Comments

Welcome to DeBlasio’s New York.

Moved thirty years ago. No regrets, never looked back.

They can keep it. They messed their bed. Let them sleep in it.

xNavigator on February 26, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Leftists just hate everything.

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Moved thirty years ago. No regrets, never looked back.

They can keep it. They messed their bed. Let them sleep in it.

xNavigator on February 26, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Wouldn’t be caught dead in a Freedomless RAT TRAP like New York City dead or alive.

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Leave Ryan’s alone!

davidk on February 26, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Is this the gay celebration thread?

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:34 PM

What he wants, he gets!

All I hear from that city now is a constant droning whine, like millions of bees that have been smoked from their hive; sort of lazily pissed off but too corrupted to understand why.

Bishop on February 26, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Is this the gay celebration thread?

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:34 PM

What do they have to celebrate? Their hedonistic lifestyle cuts their life expectancy NEARLY IN HALF… You won’t see stories about that because “teh ghey” is the OFFICIAL lifestyle of the Obama Regime.

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Oh, crap:

Mayor Mike Duggan wants Detroit to start its own auto insurance company called ‘D-Insurance’; says process starts this summer – @Local4News

davidk on February 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I suppose a restaurant could offer a special price of 10¢ each with purchase of breakfast.

deadman on February 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Hell, I figured this article had something to do with
azzless Chaps worn by …er

Well, this IS a gay site now right??

ToddPA on February 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Good point. I heard they had a huge win earlier today…..something about cake……I think. Frankly I’m a pie guy. To each their own I reckon. Just saw the bottles on ice and figured Mary Katharine wanted in on that thread count gold. ; )

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Aww bet the hipsters and foodies are regretting that DeBlasio vote now huh?

neyney on February 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I’m not the urbane urban dweller that you are, MKH, but “hangover breakfast” means something here, too. Something completely different. It’s what you eat at 3:00 AM at the local truckstop greasy spoon just as you start coming down off your buzz, which invariably makes your hangover worse. Hair o’ tha dog wha’ bit ya is for the morning after when you drag yourself out of bed the morning afternoon after, drink some black coffee, pop a few aspirin, and try to remember through a haze of pain and nausea what happened last night that you had so much fun doing.

gryphon202 on February 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM

First they came for the mimosas…

DrMagnolias on February 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I live in a middle of the road state that doesn’t allow alcohol sales on Sunday, so… you East Coast elites can take your complaints about losing bottomless drinks and stuff it.

thei3ug on February 26, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Gays older than age 50 are rarer than heterosexuals older than 100.

Look it up. It’s sad. It’s why the lifestyle should be DISCOURAGED not accepted and certainly NOT PROMOTED AS NORMAL!!!

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Okay on topic. urban elitist most upset by this news?

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:41 PM

No because he/she/it never GETS invited to those kinds of parties.

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Okay on topic. urban elitist most upset by this news?

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:41 PM

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Yes. I have had a few good friends parish early as a result. Very sad indeed.

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Is this the gay celebration thread?

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:34 PM

Close, but no. It could be the salvation thread, for Hangover Breakfasts. They just have to take bottomless to the next level.

Picture a bunch of 20-30 somethings all sitting around nude from the waist down, wolfing down their overpriced bacon omelets. The commie-in-chief couldn’t do anything because the sign on the front door says: Breakfast Theater of the Arts.

Protected expression, courtesy of the First Amendment. It is so sad that kids today have no imagination.

platypus on February 26, 2014 at 9:42 PM

If I want a “hangover breakfast” I just crack open another Bud Lite when I wake up.

Ok, I don’t DO that much anymore…

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Georgia legislative committee debating medical marijuana bill gives unanimous approval – @wsbtv

davidk on February 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Moved thirty nearly three years ago. No regrets, never looked back.

They can keep it. They messed their bed. Let them sleep in it.

xNavigator on February 26, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Revised for me. I love the fact that those moaning about this are likely the very people who voted for the commie sympathizer.

NY2SC on February 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM

“I do think at a certain point you’ve eaten enough food … and breathed enough air …”

ShainS on February 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM

A police officer in South Carolina shot a 70-year-old motorist who was reaching for a cane during a traffic stop because he thought the man was grabbing a rifle from the bed of his pickup truck, investigators said. The man was expected to survive.

davidk on February 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM

I thought “Mimosas” were trees.

listens2glenn on February 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM

platypus on February 26, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Its true though. I sometimes wonder if our youth through lack of basic knowledge are loosing cleverness. Once out of the comfort confines of pop culture there doesn’t seem to be much there with many of them.

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM

davidk on February 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM

The lives of CITIZENS are more important than the lives of police officers.

That’s how it’s supposed to be. If it isn’t these morons are entitled to serve warrants by nuclear strike.

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Ok, I don’t DO that much anymore…

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:43 PM

I dated a lesbian that would crack open a beer and mix it with tomato juice first thing morning after. *blech!

Murphy9 on February 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

davidk on February 26, 2014 at 9:44 PM

No doubt. Ga is turning blue.

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Are these the same beta hipster metros who are getting beard transplants?

Make your own bloody’s or better yet do it right with some hair of the dog.

Bishop on February 26, 2014 at 9:47 PM

ShainS on February 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Heh. “Some people just need killing.”

platypus on February 26, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Murphy9 on February 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

I consider myself a lesbian trapped in a male body. Unfortunately that gender isn’t accepted by facebook!!!

/DISCRIMINATION!!!!

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:47 PM

, crap:

davidk on February 26, 2014 at 9:36 PM

…I watched his State of the City address…I almost shit when he mentioned that!

KOOLAID2 on February 26, 2014 at 9:48 PM

ShainS on February 26, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Moochelle burned up her quota 10 years ago then.

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Is Moochelle Bottomless?

Electrongod on February 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Murphy9 on February 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

What’s a lesbian date?

(yeah it’s a trick question)

platypus on February 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM

What’s a lesbian date?

(yeah it’s a trick question)

platypus on February 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM

You munch her carpet while she refuses to release your “chakras”?

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Welcome to Stymie Town.

Flange on February 26, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Pssst! Bishop’s here. Pass it on.

platypus on February 26, 2014 at 9:51 PM

Electrongod on February 26, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Dude?!?! I’ll get you for that visual!!!

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Bottomless Bloody? Is that a cake baked in Arizona?

HillC Liver Spot on February 26, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Butt facts are facts….

LOL

Electrongod on February 26, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Dude?!?! I’ll get you for that visual!!!

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 9:52 PM

What did you expect on HotGas, rubber biscuit?

platypus on February 26, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Haha, those dumba$$es thought DeBarfio was going to give them stuff…not take stuff away. Stupid sheep.

msupertas on February 26, 2014 at 9:58 PM

What did you expect on HotGas, rubber biscuit?

platypus on February 26, 2014 at 9:57 PM

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Murphy9 on February 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Could we have more story please?

arnold ziffel on February 26, 2014 at 9:59 PM

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Classic

Electrongod on February 26, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Could we have more story please?

arnold ziffel on February 26, 2014 at 9:59 PM

LOL

ShainS on February 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Could we have more story please?

arnold ziffel on February 26, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Yes, with lots of juicyy….err…factual details

msupertas on February 26, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Could we have more story please?

arnold ziffel on February 26, 2014 at 9:59 PM

That was a confusing yet fun, tumultuous time in my life that I’m not certain I want to fully recollect yet.

Sometimes I feel like Roy Batty delivering his soliloquy to Deckard in the rain.

Murphy9 on February 26, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Murphy9 on February 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Murphy…….

What is your position on crack…

Beer…..

And juice…..

And maybe bleach…

’cause I don’t know how to answer without the thought police….watching me…

Electrongod on February 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Speaking of which, I just tuned into the season opener of The Americans. Before the show there was a disclaimer that what was about to be shown was TLMAPDQXYZEiEiO or whatever. Most parts of the world they call that kind of stuff normal. This protecting our snowflakes from reality is also a first-world problem.

Happy Nomad on February 26, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I said too much already :(

Murphy9 on February 26, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Electrongod on February 26, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Fine. Have a quick look here if you dare. Its one I’m working on, should be done soon. Mind you what you are looking at is a sketch.

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Wow 8 eyes on that quickly. Hope you saw it Electrongod. Lolz! Its down now eh?

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Sunday special – $.10 per drink :-)

diogenes on February 26, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Murphy9 on February 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Was it Bud and Clamato?

Flange on February 26, 2014 at 10:22 PM

There is something you can do in Virginia bar that you can’t do in Maryland or DC. Pack heat either concealed or in the open. You can’t consume when you are carrying concealed. That is more important to me than whether the bar can advertise or not.

jerryofva on February 26, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Was it Bud and Clamato?

Flange on February 26, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Nope Boulevard Wheat and Campbell’s tomato juice. I never tried it.

Murphy9 on February 26, 2014 at 10:24 PM

I live in DC metro and used to frequent a restaurant in DC that has bottomless mimosas with an affordable and delicious brunch on both Saturday and Sunday (and hopefully still does…though an overreaching government is surely ready to pounce and put an end to the joy). Even with no Friday evening debauchery on my conscience, I would go every Saturday late morning armed with a book to have brunch, bottomless mimosas, a good read and a spot of civilization. It restored me after the madness of the foregoing week and fortified me for the still potential but likely madness of the week ahead. Fine, some others were there for a bit of the hair of the dog, but so what? Carousers need some civilization too. Why take that away from anyone trying to maintain sanity in an insane urban environment? I’ll be glad when the East Coast is well distant in my rear-view mirror and I’m back in the Midwest. It might be Stroh’s instead of mimosas, but at least the nanny state isn’t looking to snatch it away.

filiusdonaldi on February 26, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Murphy9 on February 26, 2014 at 10:24 PM

That’s cool, I figured that was a good time to work Clamato into the conversation.

Flange on February 26, 2014 at 10:34 PM

OK, so they charge a penny for refills. What’s the big deal?

Socratease on February 26, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Best one is the Guamosa. Use Guava Nectar with the champagne.

Del Dolemonte on February 26, 2014 at 10:56 PM

Mary, are you sure you’re not liberal?

“As an aside, I’ve long waged war on the term “brunch,” preferring that people stop dressing up their weekend endeavors and acknowledge what they really are. In my world, it’s called Hangover Breakfast.”

Your world is not my world. M’kay? In my world, brunch is not Hangover Breakfast. So please, don’t impose your world’s values on my world.

End of speech.

Scopper on February 27, 2014 at 12:14 AM

MKH, I think you missed the whole point on this one. This isn’t the nanny state rearing its ugly head…the motivation behind this crackdown is all about money.

Bars are routinely banned from using a cover charge while offering things like unlimited drinks or nickel pitchers of beer. Much like the overcharged brunch with drinks, the owners are charging little to nothing for the alcohol, and therefore are paying far less taxes than if they were charging per drink.

Whatever the claimed motivation of government here, in reality it’s about tax revenue.

ynot4tony2 on February 27, 2014 at 12:15 AM

No because he/she/it never GETS invited to those kinds of parties.

ConstantineXI on February 26, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Don’t Panic. :)

Theophile on February 27, 2014 at 2:13 AM

Banning bottomless brunches

For us NY men, anything to make having to go to brunch less appealing for our women the better.

BTW, Guiliani banned bottomless establishments of another sort. So, good for DeBlasio for exercising the ban hammer on the girls this time.

Next up: Nail salons.

Nomennovum on February 27, 2014 at 5:45 AM

I like the New York local reports, now that Mayor Communist is driving the car.

22044 on February 27, 2014 at 8:19 AM

filiusdonaldi on February 26, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Rest easy, my DC friend, we have mimosas out here.

msupertas on February 27, 2014 at 8:29 AM

Bucket of Mary’s – $5

Problem solved.

JohnnyL on February 27, 2014 at 8:51 AM

This is pretty standard, actually. It seems most places have banned “bottomless” drinks because the establishment could get hit with enabling a drunk driver.

And, MKH, there is such a thing as ‘brunch’. It’s what people who aren’t hipsters do when their meal crosses the breakfast/lunch line on a Sunday or Saturday. Those people don’t generally drink massive quantities of alcohol at the event because they’re grown-ups who are simply having a pleasant meal out with family, rather than besotted grad students getting inspiration for their next puppet-making class.

(Sorry, but that bit of cooler-than-thou grated on me.)

GWB on February 27, 2014 at 8:54 AM

In Virginia the preferred beer to mix with tomato juice was a Pabst Blue Ribbon hence the name Blood Ribbon.

JohnnyL on February 27, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Best one is the Guamosa. Use Guava Nectar with the champagne.

Del Dolemonte on February 26, 2014 at 10:56 PM

I was thinking that one would just be a Mimosa strong enough to tip you over…………..

GWB on February 27, 2014 at 8:56 AM

(Sorry, but that bit of cooler-than-thou grated on me.)

Jeez…the holier than thou is really dripping off some of the comments here.

JohnnyL on February 27, 2014 at 8:56 AM

JohnnyL on February 27, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Really? Because I was simply stating that there are a whole bunch of folks who don’t see “brunch” as some hipster, cool thing you do after raving ’till 3am. Nothing holy about it. I love MKH, but that toss-off comment was a little too much.

GWB on February 27, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Talk to an anesthesiologist and they’ll tell you the post-operative sickness and the hangover are identical animals, and are both due to the same thing: dehydration. The best tip my friend gave me was, Drink two or three really big bottles of water before you crash and it will relieve a lot of the symptoms in the morning.

Of course, you could also shoot up an anticholinergic like glycopyrrolate to block the action of serotonin release from the tissues, but you’re not likely to find that at your local CVS or Walgreens.

More fascinating detail here: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/506997_11

JoseQuinones on February 27, 2014 at 10:43 AM

JoseQuinones on February 27, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Of course, then you’ll up in the bathroom all night, and have a headache from lack of sleep instead of dehydration……. ;)

GWB on February 27, 2014 at 12:57 PM

GWB on February 27, 2014 at 12:57 PM

What’s worse than waking up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom?

NOT waking up… 8(

A few less drinks in the evening, and both problems are taken care of.

ReggieA on February 27, 2014 at 4:43 PM