Great news from Harry Reid: All ObamaCare horror stories are untrue

posted at 2:01 pm on February 26, 2014 by Allahpundit

Via the Standard, I confess that I did used to think that a multi-trillion-dollar leftist reinvention of the insurance industry would have all sorts of untoward consequences, some intentional and some not.

But then I watched Harry Reid mumble about the Koch brothers for three minutes and mine eyes were opened.

Guy Benson is virtually shaking with rage and disbelief that this tool could say this with a straight face, knowing that there are scores of reporters watching who’ve encountered genuine horror stories and could debunk him. (Start with Pulitzer winner Charles Ornstein of Pro Publica and work your way down.) But that’s another sign of a trend developing among top Democrats: The more time wears on, the more brazen and Orwellian the lies get. Why else would Sebelius have said, on camera, that the administration never chose seven million as a target for O-Care enrollment when she must have known that she herself had used that figure — also on camera? Are they just exhausted from defending the law at this point and willing to resort to nonsense no matter how easily exposed it is?

Actually, the real meta-problem for Democrats on ObamaCare that this clip exemplifies is that, from the beginning, they simply would not and could not pitch this boondoggle as a matter of trade-offs. Yes, Obama could have said, if you like your plan you may not be able to keep your plan, but the trade-off is that you’ll get “comprehensive” coverage from now on. Yes, the White House could have said, healthy young people will get hosed by being legally compelled to buy insurance they almost certainly won’t need, but the trade-off is that the money insurers make off of them will be used to pay for treatments for very sick people. Yes, Harry Reid could have said, there are some real horror stories involved in this program, but the trade-off is that it’s made life better for more people than the old system did. They could have said this, but acknowledging trade-offs means admitting that Democratic proposals do indeed have serious costs, possibly serious enough to fatally wound public support for them while they’re making their way through Congress. So we get another Big Lie instead.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Over

Bmore on February 26, 2014 at 4:19 PM

Harry, it’s people like you that make me wish it were legal to choke the life out of you. You wouldn’t know the truth if it went up your arse. I’m sure you wouldn’t because you can’t take Obama’s c**k out of it long enough for any other item to enter (except maybe Nancy Pelosi’a finger).

F_This on February 26, 2014 at 4:20 PM

He’s only 2 words away from the truth.

Remove “Koch Brothers” and substitute “George Soros”.

Oxymoron on February 26, 2014 at 4:21 PM

The reason Dems do this is they can get away with it. A Republican lies and its played over and over on a loop. A dem lies? No big deal. The media has your back. And low info voters believe the lies!

Jack_Burton on February 26, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Bingo. Par for the course and it will get a complete pass from the LSM.

xNavigator on February 26, 2014 at 4:23 PM

So where is the rebuttal…?

Seven Percent Solution on February 26, 2014 at 4:25 PM

Worse than death panels

Schadenfreude on February 26, 2014 at 4:26 PM

F*ck you, Reid. Go straight to hell.

Midas on February 26, 2014 at 4:28 PM

For them to keep believing in their worldview they must lie to even themselves.

anuts on February 26, 2014 at 4:30 PM

More evidence that Harry Reid suffered a severe brain injury or experienced loss of oxygen sometime in his life.

portlandon on February 26, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Dingy Harry grew up helping in the family laundry business, washing towels from Nevada’s legal whorehouses. He also had a career as an amateur boxer.

Syphilis (swiss-cheese brain syndrome) or early onset Parkinson’s, maybe both.

slickwillie2001 on February 26, 2014 at 4:37 PM

Is their no penalty for telling bald-faced lies from the floor of the US Senate? No ethics rules against it? Reid is a national disgrace.

Sheerq on February 26, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Obama has proven how effective repeated lies can be so well that now lying is standard operating procedure for these Democrats. They’ve learned from the master liar.

Chessplayer on February 26, 2014 at 5:14 PM

This folks is what fascism looks like.

oceansidecon on February 26, 2014 at 5:38 PM

What a cs weasel.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 26, 2014 at 5:44 PM

It should be mandatory for Dims to be hooked up to a lie detector when they speak, the companies could probably use them to calibrate the machines know a lie comes out every time they speak.

Sven on February 26, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Report: Rep. Cory Gardner, R-Colo., is planning to drop his re-election bid and run for the US Senate seat held by Democrat Mark Udall – @denverpost

davidk on February 26, 2014 at 5:58 PM

Harry will get right on this:

House now voting on measure to curb IRS regulation of political activities – @ChadPergram

davidk on February 26, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Man Harry just flat sucks at this job of leading the senate.

sorrowen on February 26, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Wow. Maddow looks bad.

BKeyser on February 26, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I believe that our Heavenly Father invented those like Harry Reid because he was disappointed in the monkey. I believe that whenever those like Harry Reid deliver any opinion on any matter it will always be an opinion so foolish and so valueless a sort that it can be depended upon to suggest to our Heavenly Father that those like Harry Reid are another disappointment and that they are no considerable improvement upon the monkey.

VorDaj on February 26, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Sorry, you old fart! I lost my job in the healthcare industry directly due to obaka-noncare!

ladyingray on February 26, 2014 at 6:46 PM

“These are not the horror stories you are looking for.”

chuck_pundit on February 26, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Why he bothers with the kabuki dance at all is the mystifying part. The gimmiecrats have long since ceased depending on low information voters and have moved on to the no information voter.

cosifantutte on February 26, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Facebook post from a friend of mine today:

OK, another California Covered Care rant…..I was forced to buy pediatric dental (or so I thought). When signing up I accidentally signed up for 2 different plans and have not been successful in getting one of those plans cancelled despite calls and letters. Regardless, I called the main and more expensive one today to PAY MY BILL and was helped (after a long wait) by a wonderful customer service rep with Anthem Blue Cross. The number I called was on my card. Since I wanted to get [minor child's] teeth cleaned I wanted to be sure everything was in line and paid up (and I had not yet received a February bill and it is almost March). The very nice customer service rep told me I had a choice, either go through the exchange on line and pay or wait for a covered California rep to pay it. After a hang up and call back and wait I finally got someone from India helping me. I could not understand a word and what I did understand is that my payment I made in January was posted yesterday (February 25). I was told since it was only paid yesterday (which makes no sense to me at) a February bill could not be generated until tomorrow. The guy told me he’d be happy to process my payment tomorrow. At that point I stated I was a little suspicious of all of this and would not be providing any payment over the phone regarding this policy to which he said, ok I will call you tomorrow. I guess I went a bit off his pre-arranged discussion and threw him a zinger. No, don’t need to call me back, just send me a bill. Ok I will talk to you tomorrow. NO, don’t call me back just send me a bill. Ok Ms. [My Name], I will talk to you later. Whatever. We’ll see what happens when I got to the dentist with Jared in the next week or so. MOTHER OF MERCY, what have we done to our insurance system? I do not have the same doctors, nothing is covered, I can’t figure out how to pay my bills on a monthly basis, I have duplicative coverage which is ridiculous and they continue to threaten to cancel me anyway. Why can’t I just self-insure without the threat of penalties?

our coverage with anthem blue cross was raised from 1500 to 2000 for the family and we cant do it.

peski on February 26, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Can you imagine what our political situation would look like if we had an actual non-partisan, watchdog media? In other words, if the media actually did their job? Democrats and their leaders would be getting hammered, day in and day out. They would be called out for the pathological liars and frauds they are, starting with Obama all the way down to the local, corrupt Democrat operatives.

Reid, Obama, Pelosi, Durbin, Schumer, etc. know they are lying but also know they can get away with it. It’s sick and one of the reasons lower and middle-income families are getting the shaft: the inherent and inevitable failures of the Progressive ideology are getting political cover from the media.

visions on February 26, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Read us some more cowboy poetry, Dingy.

Galtian on February 26, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Harry Reid needs to be committed, period.

SC.Charlie on February 26, 2014 at 7:21 PM

You who are angry about this just don’t know how to read between the lines of what Harry Reek is actually trying to tell you.

He’s saying, “Look, your federal government has devolved into a complete joke and is now totally delegitimate.

“As a leader of this government, I can’t just come right out and say stuff like that. So by talking as an uber-moron, I’m hoping you’ll piece together that you no longer need do anything I or anybody else in Washington tells you.

“Don’t like our piece-of-crap Obamacare scam? Fine. Ignore it. That’s what we ourselves are doing, ignoring it. Why else would we be so absurdly obvious in lying to you about how amazing and flawless it is?

“Hate our EPA regulations? So do we. We pay ‘em no heed, and you shouldn’t either. But you didn’t hear me say that.

“Tired of us always requiring you to do this or demanding you do that? Just turn your backs on us. Walk away. Disband. We give you permission.

“Besides, you’d be fools of the highest order if you were to keep doing our bidding, knowing now as you do that we’re unserious about governing, that we’re looney tunes, that none of our ideas ever work.

“I realize you think I’m craven and stupid and corrupt and stuff, and I am those things, yes. But I’m also still human enough to want you to save yourselves. And that’s why I stand before you now, lying to you like there’s no tomorrow.”

FlameWarrior on February 26, 2014 at 7:32 PM

So every horror story in every Koch ad so far has been proven false. Not a problem?

Constantine on February 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM

We have never been at war with Eastasia

lorien1973 on February 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM

This is the fellow who benefits most when the right expends all it’s energy calling each other RINOs.

V7_Sport on February 26, 2014 at 7:45 PM

We have never been at war with Eastasia
lorien1973 on February 26, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Very good. Now let’s all drink some Victory Gin and eat our chocolate wax ration.

ImmigrantsWife on February 26, 2014 at 7:53 PM

With an effort of not sounding overly dramatic, here goes.

The shear negligence of our media, and a majority of people, to hold the left accountable for the raw damage they are doing to our country, is truly frightening. There was a day and time that nonsense like this would have been met with outrageous laughter, ridicule, embarrassment from their party members and eventually the demanding of apologies to the people hurt by this law.

We as a people are doomed by leaders that no longer have the morals to admit they are lying to hold power.

Michh on February 26, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Tammy Bruce ‏@HeyTammyBruce 6h

“What’s worse? Saying “you lie” to a politician or saying “you lie” to the American people?

lynncgb on February 26, 2014 at 8:14 PM

…what can one say?

KOOLAID2 on February 26, 2014 at 8:51 PM

But they won’t.

And Harry Reid knows that.

Tell a lie often enough and it’ll become the truth.

And it has.
Homosexual marriage is normal because all people should be allowed to marry… except polygamists and family members because that would be wrong. (Why? Don’t ask why. It just is)

Obamacare has had no downside.

Unemployment is down.

Economy is up.

The world is at peace under Obama because there are no wars.

Chocolate rations are up.

Attorney Generals of the Democrat Party don’t have to enforce laws Republican legistlatures write because… Liberty.

We live in bizarro USA where rationality is out the door and the 128 tweet is in… just keep tweeting something new for 72 hours until the next news cycle then keep implementing your policy.

God, I weep for the Republic.

Skywise on February 26, 2014 at 9:01 PM

Barack Obama is a stuttering clusterf*ck of a miserable failure.

Good Lt on February 26, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Its simple truth that not one single republican ocare horror story has survived even a cursory investigation.

Its understandable that you guys are frustrated by that, but you should direct your anger at the people who have been lying all along about the effects of ocare – your republicans.

Praying for a disaster won’t magically make it come true.

everdiso on February 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

everdiso on February 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Did we let Harry Reid on here?

Skywise on February 26, 2014 at 9:08 PM

So we get another Big Lie instead.

Obama, Reid, Pelosi, et al., make sure the transfer checks arrive on time. That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly.

elgeneralisimo on February 26, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Man oh man, these democrats sure are skeered to death of the dastardly oggedy boogedy KOCH brothers! I bet if you came around the corner in a Koch brother mask and said “boo” to Harry Reid he’d run down the corridors squealing like a stuck pig. The little pipsqueak with the little pipsqueak voice needs to retire already and go home and hide behind the curtains and hope they don’t come and huff and puff and blow his house down.

scalleywag on February 26, 2014 at 9:46 PM

The entire Dem party would rather let people die under Obamacare than admit that it doesn’t work. Especially in an election year. Remember that in November.

neyney on February 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Boehner should shut down the House until Reid is replaced with someone else.

But he won’t. Boehner will just keep tripping over himself to please this guy.

Spliff Menendez on February 26, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Constantine on February 26, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Well? We’re waiting.

Spliff Menendez on February 26, 2014 at 10:21 PM

Praying for a disaster won’t magically make it come true.

everdiso on February 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

It should be easy then for you and your buddy to produce all this proof you speak of.

Spliff Menendez on February 26, 2014 at 10:22 PM

The really tragic thing is he will get away with it. Because hey, the media has real stories to cover, like the governor of the 11th most populous state possibly closing one lane of traffic for political retribution. In the grand sweep of American political scandals, Bridgegate is tantamount to ripping the “Do Not Remove” tag off a mattress.

Stuff like this is why I find the titanic, internecine food fights between the True Cons and the RINOS so pointless and amusing. If Dems can get away with this, it doesn’t matter who we run. We could get Dr.Frankenstein to work some of his postmortem magic to reanimate Abraham Lincoln’s corpse and we still wouldn’t win.

The only thing that keeps me optimistic is that during bleak economic times the only folks that have kids at the replenishing rate are the religious. Give us 20 years and we’ll outbreed them.

Lamont Cranston on February 26, 2014 at 10:24 PM

everdiso on February 26, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Spliff Menendez on February 26, 2014 at 10:22 PM

If nothing else, and it is nothing else, you have to admit they have an effective talking-points distribution system.

slickwillie2001 on February 26, 2014 at 10:33 PM

The entire Dem party would rather let people die under Obamacare than admit that it doesn’t work. Especially in an election year. Remember that in EVERY November.

neyney on February 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM

FIFY…

Khun Joe on February 26, 2014 at 11:24 PM

There should be clause of some sort in the Congress job description & duties that require honor & integrity. And if caught in a flagrant lie, the penalty is termination. It’s too bad that we cannot trust our elected officials and their appointed officials to tell us the truth. Any job that I’ve ever had required honesty, and was so noted very early in the employee manual, along with the possible assessed discipline if this was violated – termination.

majorzot on February 26, 2014 at 11:28 PM

This from America’s #1 pederast.
III

Sgt Stryker on February 26, 2014 at 11:47 PM

Reid is and always has been a pathological liar. Harry Reid would be in prison if he weren’t a politician. Here’s another example of what an outrageous liar he is: When asked about his great-great uncle, Remus Reid, a horse thief, sent to Montana Territorial Prison 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Montana Flyer six times. Caught by Pinkerton detectives, convicted and hanged in 1889, Reid had his staff reply that “Remus Reid was a famous cowboy in the Montana Territory . His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Montana railroad. Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad. In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the renowned Pinkerton Detective Agency. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honor when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed.”

VorDaj on February 27, 2014 at 2:21 AM

Sen. Reid always struck me as someone who got stuffed in a locker once too often in high school.

tenore on February 27, 2014 at 6:59 AM

Reid is truly a disgrace. I cannot fathom why the good voters of Nevada KEEP sending him back. Every time I think he has set a new low (“I have it on good authority that Mitt Romney never paid his income taxes.”) he goes and outdoes himself. Finally, with this statement, someone can just say to his face what a lying jackass he is…but no one will. He has rolled out of the gutter right into the sewer with this statement… but then that is where filth belongs.

Monty.Crisco on February 27, 2014 at 8:25 AM

That’s funny. Here I was, sitting here and thinking that all stories used to sell Obamacare in the first place weren’t true. Silly me! Duh, man…I really gotta pay closer attention. Forward!

brentspolemics on February 27, 2014 at 8:42 AM

No-fo info for the low-fo’s — it’s all Harry’s got.

brentspolemics on February 27, 2014 at 8:43 AM

They can’t tell the truth because they know no one, well almost no one, will want what they’re trying to sell. Lying is easier for them to get their way. It’s the little kid telling mommy they cleaned up their room to get a cookie all grown up. Reid is a vile, disgusting, liar, mean spirited, piece of bottom of the barrel scraping, we all have known this for years. Dare we hope that many others will now find that out.

Kissmygrits on February 27, 2014 at 8:46 AM

Why the hell didn’t anyone standing on the Senate floor call this sorry sack of s**t a liar right to his god damned face?!!!! There should have been a cry of outrage the moment Reid uttered this blatant lie! Where the hell is the backbone of the Republican Party that they all stand as one and finally, at long last, say ENOUGH to this nonsense and total lack of leadership under jerks like Harry Reid!

I swear, I am so furious over what Reid lied here, I could chew on iron nails!!!!

pilamaye on February 27, 2014 at 9:38 AM

The problem is that every single lie has to be remembered, where the truth only needs to be remembered once.

Another Drew on February 27, 2014 at 2:36 PM

What is the true story here? Yes a lot of money is spent for a little return. Yes a lot of money is not accounted for. Yes a lot of money most likely went in to someones pockets. Yes some of this may have been pay off for hiding the Obama records.

As Anna Butt would say, the real public shame is in the total numbers. Some estimates have the total cost to date to be around $6 Trillion. No one knows, no one is reporting. With about 4 Million sign ups, no one really knows, no one is really reporting. That comes out to a Nation wide cost of about

$1.5 million per signed up individual.

Is this true?

No one knows, no one is telling, no one is reporting. It’s all best guess work.

The cost of acquiring a sign up will normally go down in time BUT with all the cost corridors, waivers and mistakes, it looks more like the cost of acquiring a sign-up is going to go up.

All this because a few million could not afford health care insurance.

The real public shame here is that “We The People” are letting this happen. Our “FREE” press is not asking the real questions.

We have become a Nation of Fattened Caves led to the sacrifice. It is our own fault for allowing this.

If this is the best our Congress can do then we need a new congress. Oh yes that is in November 2014.

jpcpt03 on February 27, 2014 at 11:52 AM

jpcpt03 on February 27, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Reid is a weird guy. On the one hand he seems to be almost the personification of politics. What does he actually believe? Does he really believe the nonsense he is spewing in that clip? On the other hand he is absolutely awful at communicating. I mean, he comes off sounding like a first rate conspiracy theorist. How did he ever get to be Senate Majority Leader? He must be one amazing back room wheeler and dealer.

OrdinaryAverageGuy on February 27, 2014 at 9:47 PM