ObamaCare enrollment now up to 4 million, administration says

posted at 8:01 pm on February 25, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

The other week, the Obama administration ‘informed’ us that ObamaCare enrollment from October 1st through February 1st had hit 3.3 million signups — excellent progress, they insisted, but most unfortunately, still a far cry from the necessary progress to achieving their open enrollment goal of seven million insurees never you mind. In a blog post this evening, CMS Administrator Marilyn Tavenner updated that figure with the first few weeks of February’s supposed signups, deeming the uptick “another significant milestone“:

As we head into the last five weeks of this historic open enrollment period, millions of Americans are taking advantage of the new choices they now have to access affordable, quality health care thanks to the Affordable Care Act.  The most recent data indicate that approximately 4 million people have now signed up for a private health insurance plan through the Federal and State-based Marketplaces since October 1.  A full enrollment report for February will be released in mid-March.

With individuals and families enrolling in coverage every day, we continue to see strong demand nationwide from consumers who want access to quality, affordable coverage.  Our outreach efforts are in full force with community partners and local officials participating in hundreds of events each week and enrollment assistors are helping more and more people enroll in coverage.

No word on the demographic makeup of these enrollees and whether the Obama administration’s youth enrollment push is having any discernible effect in persuading young invincibles that they really need ObamaCare — and, as ever, the number of people who have actually paid for their premiums and have therefore activated their coverage, remains stubbornly elusive. Barely one month to go before the signup window closes — as Obama so jovially reminded on OFA crowd this afternoon:

Comments

“President says.”

Worth nothing.

Murphy9 on February 25, 2014 at 8:02 PM

You lie!

rbj on February 25, 2014 at 8:04 PM

People are leaving their jobs and getting virtually free Obamacare!

We should all do this!

Equality!

Meremortal on February 25, 2014 at 8:05 PM

a lie

rob verdi on February 25, 2014 at 8:06 PM

If you want to keep your policy…you can keep your policy….

d1carter on February 25, 2014 at 8:07 PM

The State Run Media is laughing…at us.

d1carter on February 25, 2014 at 8:08 PM

I don’t know why they are planning to go with 6 million “enrollments” at the deadline. Might as well go for the whole 7 million since they are lying anyway. The MSM won’t question it.

forest on February 25, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Flawless.

Bmore on February 25, 2014 at 8:12 PM

No word on the demographic makeup of these enrollees

Too many old people? No problem.

forest on February 25, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Come March 31st they will announce they have 7 million, just like the unemployment figure falling below 7% before the election.

phatfawzi on February 25, 2014 at 8:14 PM

How many are medicare that would have signed up for medicare anyway? How many are actual individual policies and have been paid for?

These are the only two questions about enrollment that matter.

oldroy on February 25, 2014 at 8:16 PM

… and Teh Administration has created (or saved or invented) over 100 million jobs since taking over!

ShainS on February 25, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Obama and anyone in his regime lies. They lie all the time. When the truth would not hurt the regime, they lie. It is pathological with this band of criminals.

jukin3 on February 25, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Boy. You lie, boy.

Lanceman on February 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM

4 million sheeple unwittingly paid the butcher to herd them into a happy conga line before their slaughter.

SparkPlug on February 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Look. If these assclowns managed to get 300 paying people and the Dallas Cowboys to sign up I’d be surprised.

Lanceman on February 25, 2014 at 8:24 PM

did anyone get the junk emails from healthcare .gov talking about honoring your request to update password.

scum.

renalin on February 25, 2014 at 8:25 PM

We need answers to at least the following;

Number of policies yet to be paid for.

Number of 100% subsidized policies, or heavily subsidized.

Number of Medicare & Medicade patients in new obamacare policies.

Number of policies sold to people whose previous policies where cancelled by obamacare.

After we subtract any and all of the above, how many are we left with because that would tell just how successful and in high demand this clusterfark is.

D-fusit on February 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM

How many of these ‘enrollees’ are PAYING enrollees ?

listens2glenn on February 25, 2014 at 8:28 PM

SparkPlug on February 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM

GREAT analogy … : )

listens2glenn on February 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM

I would actually be more surprised if anyone in this administration were to tell the truth about something than I am when I hear they’ve lied again. The fact is I think they’re so incompetent and they’ve lied so many times, they have no idea how to distinguish between the two! They’re like petulant children, trying to pull a fast one every time they’re asked about something. And boy do they love them Pinocchio awards!

scalleywag on February 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM

They are getting desperate..how far will they go?

d1carter on February 25, 2014 at 8:31 PM

D-fusit on February 25, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Realistically? About 1,000 I bet..

Tim Zank on February 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Am I missing something? Wouldn’t even 7 million enrollees at this point be an utter embarrassment to this program? There’s 300 friggin million people in the US. How would even 7 million represent a success?

I’m one of the “young”(ish) people they need to sign up. My old insurance on the individual market that I liked runs out in exactly three days. After that, I’m self-pay.

Obama, if you’re listening (which I know you’re not) I will NEVER EVER EVER sign up for this crap. Screw you!

WhatSlushfund on February 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM

ObamaCare enrollment now up to 4 million, administration says

Which means they’re lying by an order of magnitude, minus 200K.

Hey, math challenged trolls (but I repeat myself, thrice), what number am I thinking of?

Thomas More on February 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM

ShainS on February 25, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Hahaha, this is now officially the “pull a number out of your a$$” administration.

scalleywag on February 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM

“The product is good” – The Won

Except it doesn’t deal with the quality of the product…..

I know first hand…

Electrongod on February 25, 2014 at 8:34 PM

WhatSlushfund on February 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM

That’s my attitude.

But if the Statists (and that includes RINOs) stay in power, they will eventually criminalize non-participation or non-payment (of some prohibitive tax penalty) — just like HillaryCare was going to criminalize any doctors or providers who refused to participate in her scheme …

ShainS on February 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM

“Hey Rocky, wanna see me pull a number out of my a$$?”
“Oh Bulltwinkles, not again.”

Flange on February 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM

How I became the most successful project manager at my company.

“Good news! I was awarded 3.5% of my proposals! Yeah, it’s not quite 60% of what I needed, but it’s a good start. This is only a count of bids I have won, not that were actually given notice to proceed, though. And I really have no data on the estimated margin of any of these jobs.

It’s a hell of a good start.

thei3ug on February 25, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Meanwhile, today I encountered two people. One had gotten a cancellation notice of a plan she liked that then doubled her premium and shot her deductible up from $1,000 to $6,000. And sadly a young mother of a child with cerebral palsy who is being taken off of medicaid so that his care will now be almost solely up to her. She’s a nurse who is already struggling to make ends meet, and it looks like that’s about to get a whole lot harder.

UnderstandingisPower on February 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Which means they’re lying by an order of magnitude, minus 200K.

Thomas More on February 25, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Just think of this President as Matt Foley,

Thrice Divorced Motivational speaker who lives
in a van down by the river WHITE HOUSE IN DC!!

ToddPA on February 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

That’s my attitude.

ShainS on February 25, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Let em do it. I don’t care. This isn’t bravado. I’m a single guy with virtually no overhead, and I’m heavily armed. I’ll live in the frickin woods evading authorities if I have to. And, hey, if they catch me and take me to prison, well, you know what? They were going to do that anyway. I’d consider myself a political prisoner. Screw em.

(For people with families who can’t afford to take that stance though, I feel very bad.)

WhatSlushfund on February 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Bull.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 25, 2014 at 8:44 PM

All a bunch of smoke and mirrors. The numbers may be right, but it’s what they’re holding back is what I’m interested in.

NavyMustang on February 25, 2014 at 8:45 PM

SparkPlug on February 25, 2014 at 8:22 PM

GREAT analogy … : )

listens2glenn on February 25, 2014 at 8:29 PM

One little problem, no sheep *paid* to get herded…they walked along willingly…for free.

Other than that…I call total bullshit on this 4 million number.
I’d bet they’ve had 4million hits to the site, but actual, honest-to-God enrollees? That have paid? Million tops.

a5minmajor on February 25, 2014 at 8:46 PM

WhatSlushfund on February 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Yeah, I hear you.

I’ve been wondering at what point enough people will make a stand against the growing naked tyranny. For years I’ve assumed it would be when they come door-to-door to confiscate firearms (Molon Labe!), but — surprisingly — it could be DeathCare that triggers the necessary civil disobedience …

ShainS on February 25, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Regarding that video clip:
That is what his presidency has become, selling insurance.
He’s now the ultimate insurance salesman.
I believe Arthur Miller wrote a play about it…

mjbrooks3 on February 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Hey, I just bought $25,000 worth of stuff on Amazon.com!
It’s in my shopping cart.

Alien on February 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM

He’s now the ultimate insurance salesman.
I believe Arthur Miller wrote a play about it…

mjbrooks3 on February 25, 2014 at 8:49 PM

He’s actually the most successful firearms salesman, evah!

Alien on February 25, 2014 at 8:54 PM

mjbrooks nailed it: the President has diminished the Presidency and the country.

Progressives have a motivating ideology that celebrates what the President has accomplished, and fervently demands more of the same. It’s incredible.

MTF on February 25, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Hey, I just bought $25,000 worth of stuff on Amazon.com!
It’s in my shopping cart.

Alien on February 25, 2014 at 8:50 PM

I am going to by stock in Amazon…

‘Cause you are a big spender….:)

Electrongod on February 25, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Joe Wilson is the only man involved in this whole fiasco to tell the truth.

“YOU LIE!”

That is the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

And how can we trust ANY number these clowns throw out?

We can’t….

We will have to wait to aggregate info from the insurance companies(private plans) and states(medicaid). And even there I wouldn’t doubt the administration has been putting heat on the companies to paint a rosier picture than reality…

Doc Holliday on February 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Doc Holliday on February 25, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Boy. He said “You lie, boy!”

Lanceman on February 25, 2014 at 8:57 PM

GOP GOVERNORS PAYING NO PRICE FOR MEDICAID EXPANSION

Conservative activists threatened revenge for Republican governors who boosted Obamacare. Now it looks like they were mostly blowing smoke.

Around the country, Republicans who defied the base and embraced Obamacare’s massive expansion of Medicaid are better positioned for reelection than those who did not. None has garnered a serious primary challenge so far, and even Democrats have struggled to field strong contenders to take them on.

Pro-Medicaid GOP governors well placed for reelection

Ha! Another GOPe fail

Might_Is_Right on February 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Obama Math. Worthless.

hepcat on February 25, 2014 at 9:00 PM

The “best” part (for the Fascists) will be when thousands of seniors start dying off prematurely as a direct result of DeathCare.

Just like the unemployment rate decreasing as millions give up looking for work and leave the workforce, they will trumpet the “success” of a higher percentage of Americans (and illegal aliens, of course) participating as a result (i.e., as the pool of total individuals — the denominator — declines) …

ShainS on February 25, 2014 at 9:02 PM

I’ve never seen the coke guy cover up his nose rubbing with an obvious fake sneeze. If you want to see the coke guy in action

on video @ 1.48 minutes

Here’s the original video
President Obama Speaks on the Affordable Care Act-9/26/13, Largo, MD

He rubbed his nose countless times during this speech in the video. There were no repeats inthe first video. “Journalists” had to notice it. If you want to know what this very specific nose rubbing indicates just look up cocaine symptoms.

I’ve seen coke guy doing the nose rub starting in 1995 when interviewed about “his” book Dreams. It’s never stopped. I’ve used it in many videos now removed by me but no one ever seemed interested. Coke, President=Yawn

No Niks on February 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM

Thrice Divorced Motivational speaker who lives
in a van down by the river WHITE HOUSE IN DC!!

ToddPA on February 25, 2014 at 8:43 PM

That’s the sick joke. The insanity isn’t confined to a van by a river. Now, it presumes, as a good Marxist does, to write policy for everyone.

Thomas More on February 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM

They are getting desperate..how far will they go? d1carter on February 25, 2014 at 8:31 PM

I dunno.. Far enough to purchase a bazillion hollowpoints?

wolly4321 on February 25, 2014 at 9:07 PM

No Niks on February 25, 2014 at 9:03 PM

It’s also a classic ‘tell’ of a lie that cops are trained to watch for.

slickwillie2001 on February 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

5.5 million people lost their insurance when Obamacare started and as of today only 4 millions enrolled (not all of them paid) in Obamacare… So as of today we have 1.5 million more people without insurance than before Obamacare started…

mnjg on February 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

…bet you it is almost all people who have attained the age for Medicare…people… have had birthdays…

KOOLAID2 on February 25, 2014 at 9:17 PM

mnjg on February 25, 2014 at 9:11 PM

3.1 Million 26 and under have signed up on their parents policies as a result of Obamacare

More than 6 million have signed up for Medicaid as a result of Obamacare

So, the Uninsured population has gone DOWN because of Obamacare.

Might_Is_Right on February 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

” The most recent data indicate that approximately 4 million people have now signed up”

Note the word approximately in what they said. With the way they work with numbers that could mean 2 people are signed up, not 4 million.

wakey74 on February 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

As Jews took advantage of a free train ride and 3 squares a day in Germany…

Odie1941 on February 25, 2014 at 9:22 PM

There can be no doubt of two things. First, they will get very close to their goal but will fall short. Second, absolutely no one, except the extreme Kool aid drinkers, will believe what they say. They have lied so much that they have zero credibility.

rmkdbq on February 25, 2014 at 9:24 PM

Four Million
=============

Cue Hee Haw:
(sarc)

***************** SALUTEY **************************!!

canopfor on February 25, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Thomas More on February 25, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Good point…I doubt Might_Is_Right lives in a
van down by the river…..

ToddPA on February 25, 2014 at 9:28 PM

That number is overinflated.

Then it drops further when many enrollees haven’t paid.

Then it drops further when the expected new enrollments in Medicare are dropped.

Then it drops further when doctors refuse Obamacare patients.

Obama’s getting desperate.

22044 on February 25, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Speaking of ACA,….Miles O’Brien will get a look at HopeCare up and personal!!
===========

media
4m
Former *NN anchor Miles O’Brien loses forearm after freak accident led to emergency surgery – @NBCNews
read more on nbcnews.com

canopfor on February 25, 2014 at 9:32 PM

More than 6 million have signed up for Medicaid as a result of Obamacare

So, the Uninsured population has gone DOWN because of Obamacare.

Might_Is_Right on February 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Medicaid is not insurance, dumbass.

slickwillie2001 on February 25, 2014 at 9:33 PM

publius75 on February 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM

3.1Million 26 and under have signed up on their parents policies as a result of Obamacare More than 6 million have signed up for Medicaid as a result of Obamacare So, the Uninsured population has gone DOWN because of Obamacare. Might_Is_Right on February 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

How much are those two categories paying in, genious?

wolly4321 on February 25, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I wonder when it will be considered unfair that my employer pays for my insurance, while others have to pay a fine or pay for their own insurance? When is that going to happen? I imagine some politico will start complaining about that in a year or two. publius75 on February 25, 2014 at 9:34 PM

I don’t blame you. I blame FDR.

wolly4321 on February 25, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Hey! Watch us pull a totally unless and unverifiable number out of our asses!

And quit harping about demographics, and those who would have been covered by medicare anyway when they hit 65, or those who purchased insurance because we canceled their previous policy.

GarandFan on February 25, 2014 at 9:51 PM

More than 6 million have signed up for Medicaid as a result of Obamacare

So, the Uninsured population has gone DOWN because of Obamacare.
Might_Is_Right on February 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Prove it, douchebag

Chuck Schick on February 25, 2014 at 9:53 PM

It’s also a classic ‘tell’ of a lie that cops are trained to watch for.

@slickwillie2001

Everyone knows that. Obama’s nose rubbing is very different. He is an accomplished liar who has no conscience.

No Niks on February 25, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Zeke Miller ‏@ZekeJMiller 3h

Obama to OFA: “We now have more than 4 million Americans who have signed up for quality, affordably health insurance.”

canopfor on February 25, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Fromthe DNC’s OFA
==================

Zeke Miller ‏@ZekeJMiller 3h

RT @reidepstein: Obama says ACA foes have “spent hundreds of millions of dollars if not billions of dollars to spread misinformation.”

canopfor on February 25, 2014 at 10:02 PM

Might_Is_Right on February 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Hooray.

Because Medicaid dramatically underpays physicians for treating Medicaid patients—under 60 percent of what private insurance pays—very few physicians actually admit Medicaid patients into their practices. As a result, many Medicaid beneficiaries are forced to go to the ER to seek basic medical care. And Medicaid underpays hospitals just as it underpays doctors. Indeed, on average, hospitals lose money on every Medicaid patient they treat, receiving 88 Medicaid cents for every dollar of health costs.

Written more simply:

Obamacare has once again managed to make healthcare cost the rest of us even more in yet another way other than our increased premiums and deductibles, and with no real improvement in care for the newly “insured”.

Thanks for pointing it out. Weren’t you trying to argue the other side?

rogerb on February 25, 2014 at 10:03 PM

Might_Is_Quiet on February 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Way to back up yer drive by there zipper head.

BigWyo on February 25, 2014 at 10:14 PM

???????????????????????????

Charles Gaba ‏@charles_gaba 1h

@rwhide @eclectablog @ddiamond @demfromct Yes. Here’s my current projection: http://acasignups.net/enrollment-projection … 5M= easy, 6M= doable, 7M= conceivable
=========================

Enrollment Projection

canopfor on February 25, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Another thing that needs to be said again and again: Sebelius and her goons may envision success as X number of people signing up for Obamacare, but let no one tell you that those people APPROVE of Obamacare. Many of them have had their policies CANCELLED by the insurance companies by ORDER of the federal government. They have no choice but to go to Obamacare.gov to get replacement health insurance that is still in most cases costing more than they paid in 2013, yet with higher deductibles.

Suggesting otherwise is like saying that all those that pay their legally-demanded income taxes approve of the IRS, or all those that use their state’s procedures for legal-carry approve of the requirement to do so.

slickwillie2001 on February 25, 2014 at 10:50 PM

If we had a free press in this country, no one would believe a word coming out of Obama’s mouth. The truth is he can say what he wants, but when he’s finished we’ll still have no idea what the truth is. How do we have someone like that, as President of the United States, and not have our illustrious watch-dog media on the case?

bflat879 on February 25, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Meh. Nobody believes these guys anymore. Not even the low-info voters.

HiJack on February 26, 2014 at 1:07 AM

The Obama lie count is up to 6 million.

albill on February 26, 2014 at 6:47 AM

How many have paid? Probably less than half.

Amazingoly on February 26, 2014 at 7:07 AM

the correct response to tyrannical gov’t overreach is, “nah, i ain’t doin that”

tm11999 on February 26, 2014 at 7:31 AM

the correct response to tyrannical gov’t overreach is, “nah, i ain’t doin that”

tm11999 on February 26, 2014 at 7:31 AM

If Zero and company can do whatever they want, why can’t everyone else?

dogsoldier on February 26, 2014 at 8:08 AM

More than 6 million have signed up for Medicaid as a result of Obamacare

So, the Uninsured population has gone DOWN because of Obamacare.

Might_Is_Right on February 25, 2014 at 9:21 PM

the figures released by the Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services, a unit of the Department of Health and Human Services, lumps together all sorts of Medicaid applicants, including people previously enrolled in Medicaid who are deemed eligible for another year (in other words, “normal churn”), as well as people who would have been eligible under the old law

If you were on medicare last year, and got re-approved for this year; you’re counted in that number.

If you have 1, and you keep just that one, how many did you add? No… the answer isn’t one. Where did you learn to do math?

That real number, not the 6-7 million claimed; but:

Avalere, a health consulting firm, in a recent analysis raised serious questions about the 6.3 million Medicaid figure, estimating that only 1.1 million to 1.8 million of the claimed enrollees could be attributed to the Affordable Care Act.

How many of your age 18-26 were already covered on their parent’s plan last year; but you decided to count as newly insured as well to falsify numbers and pretend this counted?

This bill was supposed to do three things.

1) Cover the uninsured… which it’s having trouble with.

2) Lower the deficit… how is that going? How much will we raise the deficit with our plan to lower the deficit? Any of this looking close to revenue neutral? Or should we forget that part of the plan?

3) Lower the average health insurance cost by $2,500 per family. We’re up so far; so how do you think we lower it when we’re trending upward? Got plans to reduce costs?

Any chance we’re going to meet those three promises, or even 2 out of 3?

One out of three is a failing grade anywhere you go, isn’t it? If higher debt and higher costs for more insured was the plan, there were easier ways to do that, weren’t there?

gekkobear on February 26, 2014 at 8:45 AM

Like the little boy who cried wolf, the people of these United States do not believe you any more, mister president. You have worn out your truth-meter and now it is stuck on the mendacious side. Tell me, mr. president and all you media functionaries, what are you going to do when there is a real, not manufactured, crisis where action is required by the American people to save the country? As your hippie friends used to say “what if we had a war and nobody showed up?” What if the people of The United States turn their backs on The United States and your “crisis” because you have talked so much and lied so much that either nobody believes you or nobody is listening to you?

Old Country Boy on February 26, 2014 at 9:09 AM

And I should believe anything this administration says because????

bimmcorp on February 26, 2014 at 10:25 AM

So they still haven’t even hit the number kicked off their plans by obamacare yet?!?! How can these people continue to even pretend they have anything resembling success here.

Caseoftheblues on February 26, 2014 at 10:36 AM

All the lies are to attempt to save face with the American populous. The foreign leaders already know this Pres is an incompetent stooge!

rjoco1 on February 26, 2014 at 10:39 AM

We got 4 million now, and you just wait. We’ll have 400 million when the employer mandate starts, oh, wait….
–K. Sebillious

See, she was being honest and counting the illegal aliens.

NOMOBO on February 26, 2014 at 12:33 PM

“And, as is known, four million EQUALS seven million. So, All Hail Dear Leader and ObamaCare!”

–Jay Carney

orangemtl on February 26, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Since our crooked government will not release the data on sign ups and actual paid enrollments, there is no reason to beleive anything they report. We already know they are liars and this should be considered as lies until proven otherwise.

earlgrey on February 26, 2014 at 4:04 PM