“Walking Dead” grumble thread: Dull show somehow getting duller

posted at 8:21 pm on February 24, 2014 by Allahpundit

Am I wrong? Every time I post a grumble thread that’s actually grumbly (and not all of them are), some TWD fan will grouse that I’m being too hard on the writers. They’ve got a bigger cast than most dramas; sometimes they need to spend an hour or two, or ten, on “character development” before something interesting happens. Okay — tell me which characters you feel have “developed” since the show resumed three weeks ago. Carl’s becoming a man. Michonne misses her baby. Glenn misses Maggie. Rick’s ended up in another tight spot from which he’ll surely escape because that’s just how it is. We knew all of this before. The only new wrinkle, which it took two and a half shows to get to, is that Abraham Ford and Doctor Mullet think they have the “cure” to the zompocalypse, and we didn’t get so much as a hint about what that might be. I thought we’d traded the “checking in with different characters for five minutes at a time” format for one that follows individual characters for an episode or more, to build out their particular story. That’s what they did for the Governor in the first half of the season and it worked like a charm. They did it for Rick and Carl three weeks ago too, an episode that failed because of the particular characters involved but which could have worked for different ones. Now we’re back to the long slog of different group members trekking towards the Terminus for the inevitable reunion. How many more episodes is that going to take? Good lord, someone do something.

And incidentally, what would it mean to find a “cure”? A cure for what, exactly? Nothing’s going to reverse zombification in a corpse that’s already been damaged or decayed. Do they mean some sort of chemical agent that’ll kill zombies on contact, or do they mean something that’ll stop people from reanimating once they’re dead? There are already a billion zombies out there. Preventing new ones from forming is useful, but it doesn’t really solve your problem.

I’ll settle for this. Explain to me what the point was of Rick’s near-miss last night with the guys who surprised him while he was sleeping. I don’t even care that he could barely walk the last time we saw him and suddenly he was diving under beds and scampering behind doors like an acrobat. Just tell me why they spent 15 minutes on it. It felt to me like they looked at the script after it was finished, realized “Wait, nothing really happens in this episode either,” and then decided to write in something suspenseful just to fill the hour out. Right? And because it’s Rick, you knew there was no chance the guys would find him and shoot him. Rick will die eventually, I think — he’s no more important to the show than any other character now that the group’s been dispersed — but it’s not going to be from summary execution by a random survivor who stumbles upon his hiding place. The show doesn’t have enough balls for that. He’ll either go down fighting a horde of zombies in some heroic act of self-sacrifice or he’ll be betrayed by someone close to him, likely Carl. If they’re going to tease the viewer with the possibility that a major character might be about to die, let’s make sure it’s semi-plausible, no? Rick ain’t going out like that.

Comments

Why watch a dull show? Not getting it…

OmahaConservative on February 24, 2014 at 8:25 PM

‘Bout freakin’ time!

Lanceman on February 24, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Allahpundit, is your general argument that the show is bad, or it that it’s not as good as it could be?

If it’s the former, I disagree. If it’s the latter, then so what? Name a show that’s as good as people think it ought to be?

Nessuno on February 24, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Because none of these ‘producers’ is Darabont.

Lanceman on February 24, 2014 at 8:30 PM

…he’ll surely escape because that’s just how it is.

Didn’t you claim at one time that no one was protected on this show?

It is still a decent way to blow an hour. Especially if you have a drink and multi-task.

cozmo on February 24, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I guess Cudlitz’s Homo-Cop character on Southland didn’t pan out.

reddevil on February 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Why watch a dull show? Not getting it…

OmahaConservative on February 24, 2014 at 8:25 PM

When life is dull, make dull lemonade?

Splashman on February 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM

What network is this show on?

OmahaConservative on February 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Sometimes a show just has to go through a slow phase in order to set the pieces up. Walking Dead is slow right now. Personally, I am loving THE AMERICANS on FX. Brings back such great memories of the awesomeness of the 80′s.

smorrow66 on February 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

OmahaConservative on February 24, 2014 at 8:25 PM

I thought you figured out by now that AP was a masochist.

Oh well. Hey you silly Cornhusker, AP is a masochist.

cozmo on February 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

you know what I always missed about the show before I stopped watching?
what became of the lennie james character (morgan iirc) that was pretty powerful?
did he ever come back?

dmacleo on February 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Why watch a dull show? Not getting it…

OmahaConservative on February 24, 2014 at 8:25 PM

speaking for myself here, for me it started out as anything but a dull show and I feel it faltered badly.

dmacleo on February 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Watching Doctor Mullet as a Rainman impersonator will get old….. Really fast?.
Rick in the house was suspenseful but I don’t think it added much to the story.. Now if he ambushed the lot, that might have foreshadowed a darker character development… Hopefully this was a one time deal and we wont see any of the looters reappear in terminus….

Mydamndogs on February 24, 2014 at 8:33 PM

For a zombie show it’s OK, but I don’t really care if any of these characters get wasted, and going into the forth season, that’s a problem.

claudius on February 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM

And riddle me this, Batman: Out of all the houses in a subdivision, why did the greasy biker dudes pick the one Rick was in?

Lanceman on February 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Bad guys come into house and there is a fight but we aren’t show what goes on.

Bad guy kills other bad guy for bed. No one asks what happened.

Bad guy in toilet is killed and no one is attracted by the noise.

Then there is the sound of someone being attacked in the house. By the newly dead?

Even though we are 2 years into the apocalypse, these guys haven’t figured out if you don’t destroy the brain, the dead reanimate.

Blake on February 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Did I miss something? What was the deal with Michonne and that wrapped portrait? Was that blood/paint? That scene was in last week’s previews too.

I think this was a “meh” episode also.

jazzuscounty on February 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM

you know what I always missed about the show before I stopped watching?
did he ever come back?

dmacleo on February 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

hmm may start watching again

dmacleo on February 24, 2014 at 8:35 PM

If there is no longer any radio contact with DC, why head there?

Blake on February 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I think dear leader is trolling with the walking dead posts. Deliberately, enjoying the discomfort of WD loyalists.

tomas on February 24, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Blake on February 24, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Safest place in the country. No brains to re-animate.

Sometimes, y’all don’t think this stuff through.

cozmo on February 24, 2014 at 8:38 PM

To echo a sentiment… If a show is dull; I don’t watch it. I’m funny that way….I’m pedestrian, low-brow in my tastes. If NCIS is dull, that week, OK…if it is CONSISTENTLY dull; I quit watching. I don’t keep watching and post on my blog about how dull it is. Of course, I don’t need “clicks” like HA does, either.

Still my advice, watch TWD and like it or quit watching and quit kvetching about it….. read a book, H3ll read “The Walking Dead” graphic novels.

JFKY on February 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I’d still like to know how the zombies managed to overrun US army units equipped with tanks and helicopter gunships, when a handful of ordinary people can kill dozens of zombies without even using guns.

Jon0815 on February 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM

JFKY on February 24, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Meh, the blonde chick with dark eyebrows doesn’t equal the first secret service chick.

cozmo on February 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I really liked last night’s episode. I thought it was tense and well done.

Jack_Burton on February 24, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Jeez, this show was stupid and dull the first season. I kept waiting for it to get better, to justify all the hype, and … just a bunch of idiots doing idiotic things that should have gotten them killed back when everyone else was.

I simply don’t get why anyone would watch that show.

Texastoast on February 24, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Jon0815 on February 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM

That’s zombie lore 101, but I would say you could read World War Z to get an idea of how that might happen.

Think of it this way, there are far more people in your community than tank shells.

Nessuno on February 24, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Jon0815 on February 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Haven’t you been paying attention? Before the zombie apocalypse, 0bama reduces the army to a couple platoons of ROTC and a duece and a half…with a Ma deuce.

cozmo on February 24, 2014 at 8:43 PM

“The Returned” is on Netflix streaming now.

Jon0815 on February 24, 2014 at 8:45 PM

It would have been neat if the guys who took over the house where Rick and Carl were staying had their own herd of people they kept for cannibalizing – a la “The Road”. When they get hungry for a hot meal, just whack off an arm or a leg from someone in the herd.

Just get on with it. It’s like the writers could fit 4 shows into 1 hour if they wanted to.

Ruckus_Tom on February 24, 2014 at 8:49 PM

If you read the comics, you’d know that the introduction of Abraham Ford and Eugene will change everything in the story and it’s direction.

Those who are on the fence about the show may want to watch. I’m not gonna say you must watch it, but it may change things for you, just sayin’.

UnstChem on February 24, 2014 at 8:49 PM

When I was a kid, I had some Jimi Hendrix bootlegs, recorded early in his career.

They were just noise, not musical at all. Then suddenly something incredible would jump out through the noise, something beautiful and wonderful.

There some stand-up comics are the same way: most of the time, nothing. Then suddenly, he says something that ties together all the unfunny early stuff in a brilliant way that makes the slog all worthwhile.

WD is kind of like that. We slog through the dull bits because something is coming that will make it worthwhile (we hope).

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 24, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I did not like the fight scene with red tough guy and Glen.

Really my only gripe here. It is what it is.

RedNewEnglander on February 24, 2014 at 8:56 PM

RedNewEnglander on February 24, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Glen got tough fighting one-armed Merle.

Lanceman on February 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM

If it’s dull don’t watch. Personally, I think it’s going well because outside the walls and confines of a large structure, the unknown is what you have. It’s unpredictable, it’s bizarre at every turn….you no longer have to just worry about the walkers, but bad men in an anarchical state. No laws. No structure. Chaos.

The Joker would love it.

JP1986UM on February 24, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Nessuno on February 24, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Dr. Who!

Publius_jr on February 24, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Jon0815 on February 24, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Few people were immune to the virus or whatever it was. It’s a tough deal when all the other guys in a tank or barracks goes all zombie on you.

Dr. Frank Enstine on February 24, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Apparently, ‘walking dead’ refers to the screen writers’ talent.

Personally, I’d rather collect molds, spores, and funguses.

locomotivebreath1901 on February 24, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I know what the “cure” is: some Slim Whitman yodeling played full volume over loud speakers…

stick on February 24, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Allah, there is this new invention called the remote control. It lets you change the channel on your TV without having to get off the couch. You should look into getting one. It’s great, if I don’t like a show I just press a button and the channel changes.

The Notorious G.O.P on February 24, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I think dear leader is trolling with the walking dead posts.
tomas on February 24, 2014 at 8:38 PM

Allah trolls… it’s what he does.

V7_Sport on February 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM

What I really want to know is why, two years in, are most zombies not rotten and bug-eaten? I mean, sure you have a certain short-term sustainability with folks being bitten as they flee and turned into new zombies, but eventually biology takes over.

Othniel on February 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Can’t explain it. It seemed interminable to me for all the reasons you cited. It was the least compelling part of last night’s episode; made worse because I would’ve liked to learn more about Abraham Ford, Doctor Mullet, and Rosita Espinoza as well as what’s going on with Daryl and crazy Lizzie.

PS— I think it’s pretty funny that Dr. Mullet sports a mullet.

jix on February 24, 2014 at 9:40 PM

My suggestion is still to read the comic over the TV show. Vastly superior to the show and you don’t feel like you waste time with filler episodes.

Bonus: Even The Walking Dead adventure games by Telltale Games is better than the show and it focuses on another set of survivors though Glenn does show up for a bit in the first episode.

Queasy on February 24, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Yep. 2nd in a string of boring, nothing much going on episodes.

Little Carl isn’t even good at acting like a doofy teen….even though he really IS a doofy teen. That’s bad.

Diluculo on February 24, 2014 at 9:42 PM

The Talking Dead is pretty pathetic compared to something like Justified or Burn Notice. The writers seem to have no idea of what motivates Rednecks. I watched the first season but after that it was painful to sit and watch it. I have better things to do with my time like watching the interesting ways in which paint dries.

Biggermike on February 24, 2014 at 9:48 PM

This is a crappy soap opera that just happens to take place during the zombie apocalypse.

southsideironworks on February 24, 2014 at 9:50 PM

Lets fire 10,000 rounds to kill 10 walkers. Ammo is plentiful during apocalypse .

gxbhkt on February 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Allah Pundit, I don’t know what to tell you. It seems you’ve hated about 99% of the Walking Dead episodes so far.

If I understand your views right, you think they are too slow, and you seem to prefer a zombie show in which there is non-stop zombie killing.

I tune in to the show primarily for the zombies, because I love zombies, but, I’ve never had too much of a problem with the slow pace and all the talky scenes.

I’m okay with some talky-talky and character dev between zombie-killing parts.

I think the point of showing Rick napping in bed only to be woken up by some thugs in the house shows several things, being:

1. almost no place is safe in the Zombie Apocalypse, you have to stay on the move (the CDC was not safe, Woodbury with fences was so-so, I suppose; a prison was not safe);

2. there was a bit of suspense in doing that scenario, because we, the audience, knew that Michonne and the boy would be returning any time from their foraging and would the thugs in the home kill either one when they showed back up to the house?

3. Also, and as the actor who plays Rick (Andrew Lincoln) stated during the after-show show (‘The Talking Dead’), that segment demonstrates that a year and a half after the apocalypse began (when that episode occurred) that it’s the sort of world where most of those who are now surviving are going to be killers and psychos, only the toughest of the tough have made it thus far.

Earlier in the apocalypse, when this show first began, there were a greater number of kinder, ethical, trust worthy, compassionate people around, (such as Dale, Andrea, and Hershel), but now decent people are getting more and more rare, being killed off by selfish, ruthless rats (such as the Governor).

Maybe the ‘Rick napping and thugs breaking into the house’ situation is a set-up to explain more drastic, grisly behavior in future episodes.

(spoiler): I read the Walking Dead Wiki, which talks about a group of survivors called “Hunters” who give up on scavenging for food in stores and abandoned homes, who are terrible at deer hunting, so they start killing and eating fellow (vulnerable) human beings.

That is the kind of world Rick is living in now, and I think the “thugs in the house” is another clue or build up to that, and how badly what is left of society has gotten.

You’re more apt now to run into violent killers who will shoot you and steal your stuff, than you are a helping hand, such as Dale or Hershel.

I also wonder if a minor point of having Rick napping was to give us time to see Michonne and Carl bond, which they did because they went out together to find supplies.

That segment – of Michonne and Carl together- also showed how they were dealing with the deaths of two children (Michonne with the death of her toddler son Andre, and Carl with baby Judith, who he assumes is dead).

That point was further echoed in that episode when Michonne found the dead bodies of the little girls in the pink child’s bedroom of the house she and Carl were in. The death of children and babies was a recurring theme of the program that evening.

AP said,

That was what I assumed it meant, but maybe I’m wrong.

Spoiler: based on my reading of TWD Wiki, that Eugene scientist guy (mullet man?). He’s a lying liar. He does not have a cure for the zombie plague, he’s only saying he knows. Sometimes the TV show does not stick to the comics, so maybe the TV version really does have a cure or really does know how the disease started.

I found it interesting that when Carl went into the bedroom of one home (either this episode or the previous one), there was a dead pet bird on the floor. So, I guess the disease only affects people and not animals.

TigerPaw on February 24, 2014 at 9:58 PM

Othniel on February 24, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Robert Kirkman answered this question on The Talking Dead the beginning of Season 3.

At this point, it’s been a year and a half since the outbreak (only about six – eight months since the beginning of Season 3). According to Kirkman, we should start seeing a difference with how the Zombies move and attack, especially as the show goes into the second winter of Zombies. Kirkman has also said that in his Zombie world, they will eventually wear out and slowly “disintegrate”.

UnstChem on February 24, 2014 at 9:59 PM

The only way to make thus show anymore crappy is to have m. Night shamylan direct 2 episodes.

portlandon on February 24, 2014 at 10:02 PM

15 minute show made to look like it was 40 minutes.

All they get is 16 episodes per season and never no how many years they could go for. They need to pace themselves in the story and have filler episodes. It was an introduction story of Abraham which will be a main character for a while. I knew they will take their time getting back together, it might not be until the last episode of the season. I still would like to know if they will ever be a rule on how long walkers would attack any noise even if the noise stops. The walker from the corn field where just walking in the corn field for months and then came out when there was noise would any guys that where late getting there start attacking the truck as if there was someone in there.

It did suck having one eye on The Walking dead and one eye on NASCAR. In the end nothing really happened on either for the hour.

tjexcite on February 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Name a show that’s as good as people think it ought to be?

Nessuno on February 24, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Lost Girl…

The fans have been grumbling and in-fighting (all out warfare) for a season and a half, but I still highly enjoy every episode.

I know, I know a lot of you wouldn’t be able to handle the sexuality, but after the first few episodes I learned to just roll with it. Not as violent and grim as Walking Dead, but a show with a very positive, energetic vibe to it. A lot of fun.

A list of all the mythical creatures that have appeared

Got a zombie problem?
Bring a Wolf-Shifter, two Valkyries and a Succubus….

MichaelGabriel on February 24, 2014 at 10:11 PM

you know what I always missed about the show before I stopped watching?
did he ever come back?

dmacleo on February 24, 2014 at 8:32 PM

It depends, which episode did you last see him on? Because he came back later for an episode which I believe was called “Clear,” where Rick found him, and Morgan had gone a little crazy. I don’t think Morgan has been on again since that episode.

TigerPaw on February 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Lanceman on February 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Probably for the same reason Rick chose it to start with: it was the first house on the street.

TigerPaw on February 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Blake on February 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Based on either TWD Wiki or an online interview I read about the Abraham character: not all characters are up to speed on Walkers (zombies) as much as Rick and crew are.

It was explained in the interview I read that Abraham and his two traveling companions Eugene (mullet guy) and Rosita have, to this point, been spending most of their time in the truck on the road and haven’t had tons of contact with zombies (or not nearly as much as Rick, Glenn, Daryl, etc).

Also recall in the ‘Governor’ episodes the little family (lady with 20 year old sister, ten year old daughter, and sick, elderly father) that they spent the whole apocalypse indoors.

Prior to the Gov. showing up, the little family had about no experience with zombies, because they stayed in the apartment building almost all the time. (They made a point of mentioning that fact on one show.)

The Gov. had to tell the apartment lady to tell her sister (the 20 year old woman) to shoot the zombies in the brain, because the family did not know how to kill the zombies permanently until Gov told them.

TigerPaw on February 24, 2014 at 10:19 PM

TigerPaw on February 24, 2014 at 10:19 PM

And Post Script on that, but didn’t Andrea or someone from Rick’s group have to teach the Gov that fact too, because Gov and the Woodbury guys had not yet figured it out?

I’m fairly certain there was a show where Andrea or someone from Rick’s side had to tell the Woodbury guys you have to aim for the brain, because Woodbury people were still shooting the zombies in their chests and legs and stuff, expecting to put them down from chest wounds.

TigerPaw on February 24, 2014 at 10:22 PM

I wanted to add another P.S. about the head trauma to zombies angle

In the episode before last, when Rick was knocked out on the sofa and the kid, Carl, lured the 2 zombies down the street and was attacked by a third one, it looked to me like one of the zombies that fell dead on Carl (after he shot it in the head) already had a head wound.

It had a big hole in the back of its head with maggots crawling around in it.

Is that a clue that zombies can and will get up and reanimate now in future shows, even after getting struck in the head?

TigerPaw on February 24, 2014 at 10:30 PM

One of the few shows I like to watch.

Here’s some advice AP. Take the good with the bad.

Its easy to stick with a good show, not so much when it turns sour….I find WD to go in waves and frankly, I don’t consider it mediocrity, i just think a 1000 batting average when you are dealing with something so comic bookish as zombies, its never going to be Shakespeare or even Game of Thrones worthy, but it’s definitely great TV over all.

To answer one of your questions-
- I think the scientist may have something that kills the virus on the living and the dead. They are all infected.

Alinsky on February 24, 2014 at 10:41 PM

TigerPaw on February 24, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Everything in your 3 previous posts are spot on. The comics illustrate this brutal world even better.

In the comics, Dale and Andrea are still alive and have been a couple for a while. They escape the prison in his RV and are the ones that meet up with The Hunters. The Hunters have managed to come up with a clever scam to get others to feel sorry for them and let their guard down (similar to how the girls con the boys out of their weapons and vehicle in Zombieland).

UnstChem on February 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM

TigerPaw on February 24, 2014 at 10:22 PM

You may be thinking of the episode where the Governor kills the army zombies from the crashed helicopter. Andrea and Michonne are upset because they still think you have to be bitten to turn, and the Governor and Merle tell them that everyone turns, whether they’re bitten or not.

UnstChem on February 24, 2014 at 10:50 PM

The Hunters storyline was a fairly minor arc. It only took a few issues to resolve, not like the extended arcs for the Governor or the Saviors. I can’t imagine they’ll do the Hunters on TV. Cannibalism is a really strong taboo subject, and while you can probably get away with it in a comic book television is going to be a different story.

These episodes are just setting up whatever coming in the last three or four episodes. These mid-season episodes are usually the slowest, as they set up for the big season ending episodes. The strongest episodes of Season 2 and 3 were the last two or three episodes of the season.

Still, these episodes are infinitely better than Season 2, where they would waste a quarter of an episode with Glenn would spend telling Rick he didn’t want to die a virgin, Dale agonizing over the polite society, or Rick and Shane going all passive aggressive over who had the higher sperm count. At least with these episodes, they seem to be building up to something with everyone dispersed, new characters, and the Terminus storyline…

PetecminMd on February 24, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Well, this is the last time I bother checking AP’s Walking Dead rants.

Just one question AP – why do you bother watching? You don’t like the direction the show is going, or it’s not following the novels, or you hate Rick, or whatever.

More importantly – why bother writing a column about it here?

jackal40 on February 25, 2014 at 12:34 AM

TigerPaw on February 24, 2014 at 10:14 PM

Was it? I saw nothing to prove or disprove that it was.

Lanceman on February 25, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Allah, I find the show much more enjoyable if one watches while consuming a plate of lukewarm spaghetti and barbecued chicken wings.

Zaire67 on February 25, 2014 at 1:22 AM

i still like the walking dead but this is my new show

Äkta människor

brushingmyhair on February 25, 2014 at 1:25 AM

Is that Bull Randleman??

Sacramento on February 25, 2014 at 1:27 AM

AP: you aren’t seeing the long picture of the show. They don’t care about initial broadcast viewers. They are worried about the new age binge viewers that will watch in the future. It is hard to put up with in our current model for the addicts of the show, but it’s better for the future of the show overall.

jayhawkboilermaker on February 25, 2014 at 3:55 AM

Allah, another PERFECT critique.

nicktjacob on February 25, 2014 at 5:23 AM

I want to know why the zombies only show up on cue. Never during some “crisis” moment where Carl discovers girls or whatever.

Speaking of which, I can’t wait to the episode where Carl screams “I hate you. I hate you. I hate you.” and slams his bedroom door because Rick won’t let him hang with his zombie girlfriend.

Happy Nomad on February 25, 2014 at 7:43 AM

TigerPaw on February 24, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Oh, fer crissakes! I wasn’t referring to them. Now put a sock in it.

Blake on February 25, 2014 at 7:43 AM

Honestly, is there a need to have a continuing weekly thread to complain about something that is trivial ? Really ?

Enough. Stop watching the damn show and STFU.

deadrody on February 25, 2014 at 7:53 AM

What idiotic crap zombie shows are. Mork and Mindy with blood.

Jaibones on February 25, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I think AP’s understanding of the show is too one-sided. He complains that there isn’t enough zombie killing. But the point of the show is really two-sided… zombies and survival. AP seems to find survival pretty boring. But honestly, I find endless zombie-killing boring. It’s the difference between those who endlessly play first-person shooters, and those that like building and strategy games. If all you had were new creative ways to kill zombies, I’d yawn. Go watch Zombieland for that.

Personally, I’m more interested in how people would survive in that situation. You can only survive on expired cans of dog food before its all gone. You can only shoot so much ammo before it’s gone. Then what?

dominigan on February 25, 2014 at 10:34 AM

I think the show, despite having high production values, suffers from unimaginative and pedestrian cinematography. One of the things that put Breaking Bad over the top was that the camera told the story every bit as much as the actors. The sad fact about screen acting is that it doesn’t look like much until the shots are framed, shot and picked. The Walking Dead looks as if they’re trying to get each episode shot before lunch with one crew doing only medium-angle set-ups and as if nothing happens in post apart from adding in the CGI blood-splatters.

It’s not the writing – I think the last dozen or so episodes have been pretty strong so far as writing goes – and it’s not the acting. If the cinematography is uninspired and nobody’s trying to be creative in the editing room, the whole thing is going to look dull and incomplete.

I think Michonne and Rick are going to start boning, what do you guys think?

eh on February 25, 2014 at 11:34 AM

To recap: Allah, you found fault with the writing. You think nothing exiting is happening for these characters. I’m saying that whole thing with Rick trapped in the house with the pack of murderous bikers as Michonne and Carl are due home any minute would hack knocked your damn socks off if it weren’t shot like an episode of Dawson’s Creek.

eh on February 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

would hack have knocked your damn socks off if it weren’t shot like an episode of Dawson’s Creek.

eh on February 25, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Name any serial, good ones, that don’t bog down in a few episodes. I actually enjoyed this one. What DOES drive me nuts is stupid moves by characters that are supposed to know better. I’ve seen hurt people move like athletes when the situation demanded it, but after Rick tries to sneak back into the bedroom , he’s closer to the loaded M16 on the bed than the other room he came out of, and there’s no way he didn’t see it besides he knew there were at least two rifles in there! But, no, he ducks back across the hall to the other room where he unexpectedly bumps into another guy and has hand to hand. Other than that, it was a pretty good episode.

cartooner on February 25, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Enough. Stop watching the damn show and STFU.

deadrody on February 25, 2014 at 7:53 AM

It would just be replaced with another gay thread.

I think Michonne and Rick are going to start boning, what do you guys think?

eh on February 25, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I’m surprised they haven’t already, to be honest.

Lanceman on February 25, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I think Rick needs a new shirt and shower

gxbhkt on February 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM

PetecminMd on February 24, 2014 at 11:39 PM

That may be, but IMO, the TV show has already gone there anyway (kind of), in that they have a character (probably Lizzie, the ten year old girl, but Carol took the blame for it), who killed two humans who were sick in the prison.

She dragged their bodies outside, put gas on them, and lit them ablaze. We didn’t explicitly see the kid kill the two sick adults, but we know that she did (but we’re supposed to think Carol did all that).

If they’re willing to let a story line of a little girl stab two humans in the head (or slit their throats), and set them afire, I don’t see it as being a total stretch to allow a story line with cannibals.

By the way, if it is true that the little psycho Lizze killed the two adults, I find that interesting, because prior to that, we’ve seen Rick Grimes shoot little zombie girls dead, and Michonne “killed” the Gov’s zombie ten year old daughter.

It’s interesting that we go from a theme of little girls being victims / prey, to now they are the hunters on the show.

PetecminMd on February 24, 2014 at 11:39 PM

I agree. You need some of the slower, filler episodes to move the show forward to the exciting final 2 – 3 episodes, even if it’s a slow inch at a time.

TigerPaw on February 25, 2014 at 1:28 PM

I think Rick needs a new shirt and shower

gxbhkt on February 25, 2014 at 1:19 PM

Rick has a new shirt now, last episode – he got rid of that faded reddish, long sleeve, missing- a- sleeve shirt for a white t-shirt with a jacket last episode.

Even Michonne has a new shirt now, they made a point of having Carl tease her about her new shirt.

Doing laundry in the apocalypse must be a pain in the neck. Except when the pace of life was slower at the prison, Carol was able to do some laundry there.

One thing that does annoy me about the show, though I know they do it due to budget constraints (less zombie make up to apply to actors playing zombies), is that almost all the zombies wear long sleeves, and the lady zombies wear long skirts.

Southern states and interior states (such as Georgia) get freaking hot in the summer. Most people would be in t-shirts, some in shorts, not long prairie skirts or long sleeve shirts.

At least the Rosita character was in shorts last episode. it’s too hot in Georgia and other states in the summer months for jeans or slacks or long sleeved shirts.

One other minor annoyance of mine is how around the time of the prison episodes, or shortly there after, all the females now dress like para-military unit members, or like Alice from the Resident Evil films, with the high boots and strappy gun holsters and what all.

It’s like they’re all shopping at the same mall now.

Also, unless the ladies picked up the police/ military type clothing/ accessories from the prison, where are they getting it from in the middle of the apocalypse?

TigerPaw on February 25, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Was it? I saw nothing to prove or disprove that it was.

Lanceman on February 25, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Yes, when Rick and Carl were first in the neighborhood and by that house, Rick said to Carl, “We might as well pick this house, it’s as good as any.”
It was the first house they encountered when they showed up in that neighborhood. He had a point.

They could have kept walking down the street and chosen the 5th or 12th house, but why bother? They’re all basically alike and each pose an equal danger, since they don’t know which homes may have zombies in them and which do not.

I would assume the group of thugs that came to the house later had the same rationale, it’s the first house on the way in to the area, might as well just choose that one.

TigerPaw on February 25, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Oh, fer crissakes! I wasn’t referring to them. Now put a sock in it.

Blake on February 25, 2014 at 7:43 AM

That was kind of rude and uncalled for.

You came up with a false premise that everyone (or some?) on this show should know, by two years in (although last episode was a year and a half into the Zombie Apocalypse, not two), that it takes a bullet in the brain to permanently down a walker (zombie).

This show’s writers have created a universe where apparently the characters have never watched movies such as “Dawn of the Dead” and don’t know you put a zombie down by putting a bullet in its brain.

Some characters, it has been established on previous episodes, are isolated and do not get out much, and they therefore have little experience in killing zombies, so no, they would not know it takes a bullet to the brain.

As a matter of fact, IIRC, Rick and Crew did not even know that themselves until they visited the nutty scientist guy at the Centers for Disease Control who had to show them slides and video of brain activity in a corpse, and he explained something happens in the brain to reanimate a corpse.

Then the video showed a bullet ripping through the brain, which put the person down. That was when Rick and his friends realized you have to injure the brain to have any sort of impact on the zombies.

Not everyone in the ZA is privy to this information, so no, not everyone can or should necessarily know it takes a bullet to the brain to off a zombie, and especially if they have been hunkered down in a cabin or apartment building for months on end with little zombie contact.

TigerPaw on February 25, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I think Michonne and Rick are going to start boning, what do you guys think?

eh on February 25, 2014 at 11:34 AM

I despise fan fics and shipping, so no, goodness no.

I don’t really care for romances in a Zombie Apocalypse. They seem out of place – and who cares about romance, and how realistic is it, when you have to spend every moment worrying about where to find food and shelter and not be killed by other people or by zombies?

I’m tired of hearing the Carylites, the middle aged gals who clamor to see Daryl Dixon hook up with Carol. NO. Do not want.

Nor do I want to see Daryl hook up with Beth, as some have been suggesting online the last few months.

His character is better as a loner fighter type, not a boyfriend, spare me! Not to mention the age difference is ew, no. Yes, Daryl is an attractive man but for an age-appropriate chararcter – but Beth, IRL, is like 17 years old, and IRL, Daryl (Norman Reedus) is about 45 or 46 years old.

TigerPaw on February 25, 2014 at 1:56 PM

It seemed to me that some of the actors hesitated a beat too long in delivering their lines. This is either a problem with the director or the editor (and they are often the same).

I too was a little thrown by Dr. Mullet’s declaration that he has a cure (and if Washington stopped answering the phone some time ago, why are they going there?). In fact, Dr. Mullet strikes me as some kind of personality-disordered nutball. That could be interesting if they ever get around to telling us what this supposed “cure” is, or even if it exists at all.

Also, here’s a question. Is Carol going to end up killing Lizzie because Lizzie is a flaming psychopath? Only Carol would have the balls to do it.

RebeccaH on February 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM

RebeccaH on February 25, 2014 at 2:03 PM

Spoiler:
Dr. Mullet (Eugene) in the comics lied about the whole thing. He doesn’t have a cure.

Who knows if the TV show will stick to the comic version of the character, though.
Eugene Porter (Comic Series) Walking Dead Wiki

TigerPaw on February 25, 2014 at 3:28 PM

TigerPaw on February 25, 2014 at 1:34 PM

I’m going to guess that zombies probably don’t dress appropriate to the weather.

Also, notice that almost every show has people wearing jackets or coats. That just doesn’t happen anywhere in the South.

Finally, John Ringo’s “Under A Graveyard Sky” had a previously unmentioned twist. Their ZA disease cause people to strip as they turned because zombies had to feed and whatever feeds, eliminates. A fully dressed zombie would have trapped fecal matter that would cause accelerated rot, and a subsequently less lethal zombie due to a shorter lifespan.

John Deaux on February 25, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Yes, you’re wrong.

You’re right to doubt the plausibility of a cure. That’s the point. However, this is where those who’ve read the comic know more about Abraham, Rosita, and Emmet. The show knows the comic readers know. This is a shout out to them because it’s so obvious to the readers.

As for Rick, no we don’t know he’s always going to make it. A point to your favor is Rick still has both hands, but they could very well go for shock value. They’ve long since gone off comic script. Andrew Lincoln may want to leave the show for whatever reason which includes it being behind the scene amicably no harm no foul.

Let’s take it as a given Rick is never killed off. He lives when the show’s run ends. So what? What is so blasphemous about having a hero survive it all?

hadsil on March 1, 2014 at 12:16 AM