Fading empire finds hope, solace in new Waffle Taco

posted at 6:41 pm on February 24, 2014 by Allahpundit

To cleanse the palate, when was the last time we had an old-fashioned “insane gluttony” thread? I remember writing two or three dozen posts about the KFC Double Down back in the day, but not since Starbucks unveiled the coffee bigger than a human stomach have we paused to marvel at America’s descent into dietary madness, I think.

There are 846 results for the term “waffle taco” on Google News as I write this, such is our nation’s interest in fast-food chains rolling out unorthodox new can-you-top-this offerings. Can’t decide between scrambled eggs and bacon for breakfast or a big fluffy waffle with syrup on it? Good news — now you don’t need to.

[Taco Bell] says the waffle taco, which includes scrambled eggs, sausage and a side of syrup, was the top seller during breakfast hours at the five Southern California restaurants where they were tested earlier this year. Now the company wants to see how it would fare on a bigger scale; the waffle tacos and a full breakfast menu will be expanded to about 100 restaurants in Fresno, Calif.; Omaha, Neb.; and Chattanooga, Tenn., starting Thursday…

Taco Bell isn’t alone in trying to serve food in different parts of the day. Since restaurant chains are already paying for fixed costs of such as rent and electricity, the thinking is that they want to ring up as many sales as possible throughout the day, not just during the busy lunch and dinner hours. In industry jargon, executives often refer to this concept as “expanding dayparts.”…

Since they were introduced in March, the waffle tacos have undergone some tweaks, including the frying time and temperature, Niccol said. The shape of the taco, which has 460 calories and 30 grams of fat, was changed to make it easier to hold the stuffing.

Also on the new TB breakfast menu: The magnificently named “A.M. Crunchwrap” (which doesn’t appear to have anything crunchy in it) and, for the more diet-conscious, some sort of Cinnabon concoction. The LA Times tried the Waffle Taco last year when it was being test-run in California and found it “mushy” and “rubbery,” i.e. fast food, but the promotional effort has been sensational. Not only is it getting wide coverage in media, as noted, but “Taco Bell” was trending earlier on Twitter.

Having been backed into a corner by TB’s bold breakfast gambit, McDonald’s now has no choice but to go nuclear:

McDonald’s is in the early stages of looking at whether it can make breakfast available later in the day…

McDonald’s has long entertained the idea of serving breakfast throughout the day. But the chain has been inching closer to making the idea a reality as it faces heightened competition and slumping sales. Last year, for example, the company began offering an “After Midnight” menu at select locations. The menu, available from midnight to 4 a.m., consisted of a limited mix of breakfast and lunch items so kitchen operations wouldn’t be overwhelmed.

The push to make breakfast outside normal hours also reflects how McDonald’s is working to keep pace with shifting habits. In particular, executives have noted that customers increasingly want foods personalized to their tastes and schedules.

As Taco Bell gobbles up some of McDonald’s breakfast market, McD’s gobbles up some of TB’s dinner clientele with the promise of all-day McMuffins. From there the escalation will be steady and ruefully predictable: Taco Bell extends its breakfast menu to all hours, then McDonald’s releases the Bacon Mac served on bacon strips instead of a bun, then TB counters with the Triple Bacon Burrito dipped in Bacon, and soon they’re putting together special “all bacon” menus to maximize their social-media presence. This way lies madness, my friends. But, as with American decline, I fear it’s inevitable.

Did any of our California readers try this thing? ‘Fess up. Exit question: Isn’t this basically just … a McGriddle?

Comments

Bread (a full loaf, dipped in sugar and lard) and circuses!

xNavigator on February 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I didn’t know Taco Bell even served breakfast.

Bitter Clinger on February 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

===========================

Since the Cake maker would’nt make a cake
for the Same-Sex marriage thingy!
(sarc)

canopfor on February 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Yesterday it was Milton Wolf. Now it’s food pr0n. This, ladies and gentlemen, is your “conservative blogosphere.”

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Coming soon, the Creosote Grande. That’s all their food mixed together in a bucket.

Flange on February 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Jack in the Box already has breakfast sandwiches on waffles.

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Bread (a full loaf, dipped in sugar and lard) and circuses!

xNavigator on February 24, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Still delicious.

upinak on February 24, 2014 at 6:53 PM

No. The Jack in the Box sandwich is basically a McGriddle, substituting the pancake for waffles. This is basically the Jack in the Box sandwich minus one waffle. I asked my boy if the waffles (of the Jack in the Box sandwich) were infused with syrup like the pancakes of the McGriddle, but his answer was unreliable since he’s only 4.

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Still waiting for the McLobster.

upinak on February 24, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I might go to McDonalds more if they offered their full menu all day.
I think Chick-Fil-A should do that too.

22044 on February 24, 2014 at 6:57 PM

OK, the waffle taco looks kind of good…

ConstantineXI on February 24, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I might go to McDonalds more if they offered their full menu all day.
I think Chick-Fil-A should do that too.

22044 on February 24, 2014 at 6:57 PM

The only time I eat McDonalds anymore is breakfast. If they served that all day I’d probably eat there more often.

ConstantineXI on February 24, 2014 at 6:58 PM

I wonder how many of these Big Mo can shove in her big ugly fly-catcher all at once.

I’m sure she’s having these delivered to the White House by the truck-load.

Pork-Chop on February 24, 2014 at 6:58 PM

ConstantineXI on February 24, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Me too. I only eat the Egg McMuffin.

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Still waiting for the McLobster.

upinak on February 24, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Wrong fast food joint that would be Long John Silvers.

RickB on February 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM

The video was funny.

I avoid fast food as much as possible, but if you were TB, why the sausage? The whole greatness of TexMex is that it is all the same stuff — spicy meat, spicy chicken, tortillas, cheese, salsa, etc — in different forms. For breakfast all they had to do was add eggs to tacos, burritos, etc. This sounds like extreme over-reach to me. Why bill yourself as TexMex at all? What are they going to have next? The Taco Bell chinese menu? Stupid.

WhatSlushfund on February 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Do people really go for this type of stuff?
I don’t care for my savory mixed with sweet.
Something I would never order.
Now give me a loaded breakfast burrito or quesadilla and its on.

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Me too. I only eat the Egg McMuffin.

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 6:59 PM

With grape jelly.

RickB on February 24, 2014 at 7:01 PM

As for Mickey D’s doing breakfast all day, what took so long? Everyone should. I often want breakfast at non-breakfast times. In fact, I can barely pull my a$$ out of bed before noon.

WhatSlushfund on February 24, 2014 at 7:02 PM

My kids like their sausage with some syrup to drag it through, something I don’t much care for. But I tried a McGriddle once. Didn’t finish it.

DanMan on February 24, 2014 at 7:04 PM

The bacon shake, of course.

TexasDan on February 24, 2014 at 7:04 PM

WhatSlushfund on February 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM

exactly my thought-

The Taco Bell chinese menu? Stupid. lol…

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I just wish that ff restaurants would change their doggone menus over when they switch to breakfast. I’m out the door to work at 0500.

Murphy9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:05 PM

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM

gryphon202:One more:)
=======================

Virginia, US
2m
Republican Virginia state Sen. Steve Martin calls pregnant women a ‘child’s host’ in Facebook post; edits it after abortion rights groups seize comments – @politico
read more on politico.com

canopfor on February 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM

WhatSlushfund on February 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM

I wouldn’t consider Taco Bell TexMex. I don’t care what Wikipedia says. Texas and California Mexican food are totally different. California Mexican food is good. TexMex sucks.

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Not that Taco Bell is “good.” I don’t mean to imply that at all. Just saying. It is really bad California or “Baja” Mexican food – not TexMex.

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Gotta agree with ya.
I was raised in socal…I miss the food soooooooo much.
We get crap texy-mexy stuff here in Fl.

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM

So … a major step up, right? Look, if they can’t get the politics right, might as well talk about something meaningless. Better to be daft than wrong, right?

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I was raised in socal…I miss the food soooooooo much.
We get crap texy-mexy stuff here in Fl.

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM

After living in Virginia for awhile, it got so bad that I actually considered Austin Grill and Chevy’s “good.” Now that I’m back in California, they’re back to being just awful.

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 7:12 PM

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Next time your in Texas go to a Taco Cabana.

RickB on February 24, 2014 at 7:13 PM

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM

And those are your grumpy commenters.

TexasDan on February 24, 2014 at 7:13 PM

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Hmmm, interesting distinction. How are you guys distinguishing Baja California Mex from Tex Mex? I rarely get out to California, but as I recall it all tasted pretty much the same.

WhatSlushfund on February 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Destined to fail; this is stuff that could be gotten anywhere. Taco Bell should stick to its niche and serve a Breakfast Burrito, Migas, or Heuvos Rancheros… all extensions of their existing brand.

VastRightWingConspirator on February 24, 2014 at 7:16 PM

The Hades with Taco Bell. When I’m in the mood for Mexican, I go to Freebirds.
Taco Smell is crap.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 24, 2014 at 7:17 PM

No chance in hell

koaiko on February 24, 2014 at 7:18 PM

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 7:12 PM

I eat at a couple local/non-chain places here..it is just okay.
I hear yah brother. There is nothing like it! I still crave it after all these years. Cali style, baby! I miss those holes in the wall.
I learned to make my own pretty well…had to.

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Ii feel sorry for Josh Barro because he has never experienced the deliciousness that is Taco Bell.

myiq2xu on February 24, 2014 at 7:18 PM

This post has inspired me to make a run for the border right now!

myiq2xu on February 24, 2014 at 7:19 PM

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM

HA is a RINO blog.

Wigglesworth on February 24, 2014 at 7:21 PM

The menu at Taco Bell is only nominally “Mexican” in any sense. But then pizza isn’t really Italian and hamburgers aren’t German.

myiq2xu on February 24, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I will admit to McD’s for breakfast on occasion. I will also admit to great frustration when told they just switched to the lunch menu at 10:31AM.

roy_batty on February 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Fading empire finds hope, solace in new Waffle Taco

goes great with the legalized weed

independent76 on February 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Anyone remember the ‘bellbeefer’?
Kinda like a Mexican sloppy joe.

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Anyone remember the ‘bellbeefer’?
Kinda like a Mexican sloppy joe.

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:24 PM

I remember those. And there has always been a cry to bring them back, but they won’t purely because it requires them to use a BUN. Stupid marketing…

ConstantineXI on February 24, 2014 at 7:28 PM

ConstantineXI on February 24, 2014 at 7:28 PM

Huh, I didn’t know that.

As a kid, I loved them. I make something similar at home on occasion.

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM

A restaurant with an all bacon menu? Open 24 hours? The only thing missing is free delivery.

Ruckus_Tom on February 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM

…has Mooch approved this?

KOOLAID2 on February 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM

6 miles away and they sell whole pies cheap :)
+ maine lobster, GREAT breakfasts, fast service.

dmacleo on February 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Next time your in Texas go to a Taco Cabana.

RickB on February 24, 2014 at 7:13 PM

This.

Better yet, stop anywhere in Nuevo Mexico (the U.S. State)

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Those nasty, greasy Jack in the Box deep fried tacos are still the grossest thing to ever happen.

portlandon on February 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

WhatSlushfund on February 24, 2014 at 7:14 PM

Raised in the San Joaquin valley and also lived in Ft. Worth for several years in the 70′s. Mexican food was different in each area & distinctive. In Texas, more sauces, more cheeses, more things wrapped in tortillas & fried and all served on a platter sized plate. Cali Mex was simpler, more traditional, tamales, tacos, enchiladas, rice & beans. A lot less sauces & cheeses overall and about the only fried things I recall were corn tortillas for chips & tacos. Baja Mex seemed mostly the same as Cali Mex to me. During business travel 30 years later however I found it nearly impossible to distinguish Mexican in California from Tex Mex in Texas. They seemed to converge on the same point. The one thing however that stuck out in California was the servers eagerness to foist an abomination upon you called a fish taco. Just typing that makes me gag.

roy_batty on February 24, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I’ve made this myself before. I’ve also done it with a pancake. Yummy, but not very healthy.

I see there is a debate concerning what label best fits Taco Bell’s version of Mexican. I think it’s a bit silly because TB isn’t any kind of traditional Mexican food. Dorito shells, fried potatoes, Fritos inside burritos. It’s its own thing.

DisneyFan on February 24, 2014 at 7:41 PM

Who is John Galt on February 24, 2014 at 7:34 PM

I live an hour east of Clovis. Just because it’s close-doesn’t mean that I’m jonsing to visit.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 24, 2014 at 7:41 PM

portlandon on February 24, 2014 at 7:39 PM

You sir are a Philistine. The Super Taco is a gift from the gods.

roy_batty on February 24, 2014 at 7:43 PM

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM

As I read your post, I could actually feel you biting into that lemon.

Claygate Pearmain on February 24, 2014 at 7:43 PM

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Nevermind that! Where’s my Walking Dead Grumble Thread???

Lanceman on February 24, 2014 at 7:45 PM

And when minimum wage hits ten bucks, this gem will run you $8.00.

tru2tx on February 24, 2014 at 7:48 PM

dammit now all I can think of is the home made strawberry rhubarb pie they have at the restaurant I linked, 10$ for a 12″ pie.
now I want some :(

dmacleo on February 24, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Did any of our California readers try this thing? ‘Fess up.

Didn’t realize when I grabbed one last month that Omaha was in a test market. It was pretty good, but predictable. And small. You don’t realize you’re getting an Eggo-sized waffle until you’re holding the taco in your hands.

pookysgirl on February 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Still waiting for the McLobster.

upinak on February 24, 2014 at 6:54 PM

My collie says:

FLOTUS? Is that you?

Okay, Mooch, what are doing in Alaska and what have you done with upinak?

CyberCipher on February 24, 2014 at 7:50 PM

If I saw the 3 people in the video somewhere out in public, I’d run them over. What a bunch of whiny b1tches! Dude, ITS FAST FOOD. Get over yourself!

reddevil on February 24, 2014 at 7:53 PM

!?!?!?!

I have no frickin idea what any of you are talking about. Mexican food is Mexican food. It’s all the same crap everywhere.

But, whatever, I’ll throw my hat into the debate ring and declare myself proudly Team Tex Mex!

Maybe the reason that you’re elitist California Mexican food sucks so bad is because in Texas they have the nads to shoot Mexicans that don’t make it right. Whereas you Cali-tards probably just give them “sensitivity training” and hand them more free cash.

WhatSlushfund on February 24, 2014 at 7:57 PM

God help you if you try to get in to McDonald’s before they stop serving breakfast. A => B

I’m wondering how long it will be before the government mandates having an emergency tech onsite 24/7 – or at least a defibrillator within reach.

Vero Beach Florida on February 24, 2014 at 8:04 PM

30 grams of fat? Yuck.

I remember stopping at the Bell after leaving Johnny B’ Goods in Alameda, slug down a few beef burritos while stumbling back to base at NAS-AL at 0200.

Bishop on February 24, 2014 at 8:08 PM

TB counters with the Triple Bacon Burrito dipped in Bacon Chocolate

If you dream, dream big…

JohnGalt23 on February 24, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Predictions: Taco Bell will win the Fanchise Wars. So, now all restaurants will be Taco Bell.

Proof: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFiDoOgRTpk

Gladtobehere on February 24, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Enough with the hors d’euvre!

Ho w about a thread on main courses?

OldEnglish on February 24, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Franchise. not fanchise as in my previous post of 8:28 P.M.

Gladtobehere on February 24, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Only thing I eat at McD’s is the sausage McMuffin with egg. Available all day long it might double my 2/month.

jukin3 on February 24, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Need a McWaffle…

ChuckTX on February 24, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Next time your in Texas go to a Taco Cabana.

RickB on February 24, 2014 at 7:13 PM

I tried to order a Breakfast Taco when I was in Texas a week or so ago. But it wasn’t breakfast time – I’ve only had the Breakfast Burritos.

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 8:51 PM

There are 846 results for the term “waffle taco” on Google News

How many of those are links to pr0n videos?

malclave on February 24, 2014 at 9:08 PM

How many of those are links to pr0n videos?

malclave on February 24, 2014 at 9:08 PM

Hey! What? So I see I ain’t the only one to have typed in “Midget Waffle” with Google. I feel so normal now!

HonestLib on February 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM

Huh, I didn’t know that.

As a kid, I loved them. I make something similar at home on occasion.

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM

It’s basically a Taco Burger, pretty easy to make, just have some burger buns and make some taco mix (like from a taco kit) and use the beef on the bun, then apply taco fixings like lettuce, veggies, and grated cheese…

And, yes, they are good.

ConstantineXI on February 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM

That looks so disgusting I almost barfed just looking at it.

Paperclips on February 25, 2014 at 12:05 AM

A “BellBeefer”????

That sounds like the sound you make after you eat it…….

E.Normus.Balzac on February 25, 2014 at 12:12 AM

I work overnight, so my menu is a bit backward. I sometimes go to Jack in the Box in the afternoon for breakfast and in the morning for a burger. Otherwise when I eat out, it’s usually at Waffle House, where they also serve their whole menu all day.

Random Numbers (Brian Epps) on February 25, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Clearly, the model for breakfast-Mexican-fast-food is Del Taco… Beats Taco Bell hand down in all categories…

HornHiAceDeuce on February 25, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I personally would love to be able to buy an Egg McMuffin for lunch, but this thing no thanks. Who puts syrup and cheese together?

Speechlesstx on February 25, 2014 at 10:02 AM

The rumor making the rounds is that guy in the video is actually Allahpundit doing his lame day job…that’s why, and how, he often “finds” these obscure videos that he shamelessly posts on HA..

BigSven on February 25, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Fading empire finds hope, solace in new Waffle Taco

goes great with the legalized weed

independent76 on February 24, 2014 at 7:24

You’d think they’d be looking at Colorado and Washington markets.

Huh, I didn’t know that.

As a kid, I loved them. I make something similar at home on occasion.

bazil9 on February 24, 2014 at 7:31 PM

And, yes, they are good.

ConstantineXI on February 24, 2014 at 10:03 PM

My kids LOVE tacoburgers, and they are SOO easy to make.

mom29js on February 25, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Huevos Rancheros and breakfast burritos are quite popular out West. Maybe if TB served real Texican food, they wouldn’t have to use waffles.

earlgrey on February 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM

earlgrey on February 25, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Very popular. There is a restaurant here called “Tylers Taste Of Texas”, and I love their Hash Huevos Rancheros. Basically a slug of corned beef hash under the eggs, covered in a peppery sauce. Yum.

I don’t expect anything this good from Taco Bell. That isn’t their point. They serve food that is vaguely Mexican quickly and cheaply. Overall, the menu is Ok, and if you have the hankerin’ for Mexican but almost zero time, this place (and Del Taco) serves the need and does it well.

There is one advantage to living near the California/Mexico border, and that is there is any number of decent Mexican food joints for me to choose from. Anything from food trucks (don’t laugh- there are some good ones) to semi-formal sit down restaurants. Without thinking too hard, I can count 5 in a 2 mile radius of home, all of them good.

BillH on February 25, 2014 at 4:12 PM

WhatSlushfund on February 24, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Sure. The egg parts of an Egg Foo Young, served on a (wait for it..)
Ramen taco shell!

BillH on February 25, 2014 at 4:12 PM

As a truck driver, I’ve eaten at many “roach coach” food trucks while getting loaded or unloaded. I’ve found their food almost always delicious, and usually fairly inexpensive.

ReggieA on February 26, 2014 at 2:08 PM