29-term Congressman to retire

posted at 10:01 am on February 24, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

The nation’s record-holder for House terms will hang up his cleats for the midterm elections. John Dingell, a Democrat who has represented a Dearborn district since the first stirrings of Elvis Presley mania, announced his retirement today after 29 terms in Congress. Dingell has been in the House since 1955 and currently is the 43rd Dean of the lower chamber (via Doug Mataconis):

At a luncheon Monday in his beloved Downriver, the Dearborn representative says he will announce he won’t seek re-election this fall to the seat he’s held since 1955.

“I’m not going to be carried out feet first,” says Dingell, who will be 88 in July. “I don’t want people to say I stayed too long.”

Dingell says his health “is good enough that I could have done it again. My doctor says I’m OK. And I’m still as smart and capable as anyone on the Hill.

“But I’m not certain I would have been able to serve out the two-year term.”

More than health concerns, Dingell says a disillusionment with the institution drove his decision to retire.

“I find serving in the House to be obnoxious,” he says. “It’s become very hard because of the acrimony and bitterness, both in Congress and in the streets.”

It might be tempting to shrug that off as sour grapes in what might be a very difficult re-election bid in the midterms. It’s shaping up early as a wave election like 2010, and Democratic incumbents in both chambers are getting nervous about their prospects. Dingell would be unlikely to be one of those, however. He won his MI-15 race in 2010 by a 61/35 margin even in the Tea Party wave, and his new MI-12 race (after redistricting) in 2012 by an even wider 68/29 result. The new district has a D+14 Cook rating, so the GOP shouldn’t expect miracles.

Republicans might think that they have a shot with Dingell out of the way, but the ballot may have a Dingell on it anyway:

An open congressional seat draws lots of interest. It’s no secret the congressman would like to see the Dingell tenure continue. While she won’t announce her candidacy Monday, his wife of 38 years, Debbie, a Democratic National Committee member and former General Motors executive, will almost certainly run.

Aren’t Dearbornites interested in voting for someone who hasn’t been in Washington for four decades? The point of House representation is to represent the district, not Washington DC. With Hillary Clinton potentially at the top of a nostalgia ticket in 2016, though, Debbie Dingell will fit right in.

Comments

From the Headlines comments — he seems to have failed to recognize that the disillusionment he perceives is caused by his type. In any event, Pogo said it best – “we have met the enemy, and it is us.”

platypus on February 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM

A petrified turd from my state. Adios, shiite for brains.

NotCoach on February 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM

There are still too many dingles in congress

Wade on February 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM

David Burge (@iowahawkblog)
2/24/14, 9:44 AM
John Dingell has held his Congressional seat since 1956. He inherited it from his father, who got it in 1928. #truestory

Ugh!

Naturally Curly on February 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Dude, that picture is gross!

22044 on February 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Dearborn-istanians are only concerned with who keeps the gravy train rolling. Another Dingell will do the trick quite nicely.

Bitter Clinger on February 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Dearbornistan won’t have a problem electing a corrupt wife.

AH_C on February 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I guess someone has to be the smartest person in the special ed course.

Flange on February 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM

As if acrimony and bitterness in congress is some new thing. Oh, and John, staying in DC for 29 terms is too long.

Kissmygrits on February 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Good riddance, Democrat POS.

NO Politician should be allowed to be in a political seat for 30 years. Democrat OR republican.

THIS is corrupt.

TX-96 on February 24, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Dude, that picture is gross!

22044 on February 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Someone needs to photoshop a spaghetti noodle dangling between their lips like Lady and the Tramp.

Flange on February 24, 2014 at 10:09 AM

A dingle my any other name is still a dingle

Wade on February 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Dude, that picture is gross!

22044 on February 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Whenever I think of Dingell, I always think of this goofy picture of him

It makes him look like the dweeb he is.

thebrokenrattle on February 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Le BombShell:

Michigan, US
5m
===
Debbie Dingell, wife of outgoing US Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., expected to run for his seat – @detroitnews
read more on detroitnews.com

canopfor on February 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM

David Burge (@iowahawkblog)
2/24/14, 9:44 AM

Ugh!

Naturally Curly on February 24, 2014 at 10:05 AM

His wife will no doubt shoot to stay till 2028 to make it 100 years with a Dingbat, er, Dingell in that seat.

Bitter Clinger on February 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Dude, that picture is gross!

22044 on February 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Oh, lighten up Francis. It’s just a picture of the crypt-keeper tonguing his favorite succubus.

HumpBot Salvation on February 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Caption Contest!

“Here, John, dear. Let me wipe that drool off your chin . . .”.

BigAlSouth on February 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Why stop now? The filthy bastard first came to Congress in 1955 to the seat that John Dingell Sr held for 22 years.

Happy Nomad on February 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM

There’s no fool like an old fool…

OmahaConservative on February 24, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Dingell represents everything that is wrong with government/”public service”..

PatriotRider on February 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Dems are sheeple they’ll vote the way Obama/pelosi want them to vote

cmsinaz on February 24, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Is there any truth to the rumor that he’s starting a law firm with Marion Barry?

nico on February 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Even with the extreme case of this tool. I never supported term limits. The reason is quite simple I want good people like Mike Lee or ted Cruz or rand paul or Paul Ryan (despite his immigration craziness). Bottom line, if you want a congressman/senator removed, you vote him out.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Oh, goody. The retirement of a semi-leftist dinosaur will usher in the inauguration of a truly “Progressive”, young and activist ideologue. Look for Hussein in the name…

vnvet on February 24, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Le BombShell:

Michigan, US
5m
===
read more on detroitnews.com

canopfor on February 24, 2014 at 10:10 AM

She was 1 year old when her husband was appointed to congress

ConservativePartyNow on February 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Ding(ell)-Dong, the Witch is Dead!

Also, slight correction – Dingell is currently in his 30th term, not his 29th.

2YEP598 on February 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

HumpBot Salvation on February 24, 2014 at 10:14 AM

Heh. Gotta keep the nerves sharp, though.

I’m thinking he’s got a Dingell the Hutt vibe going.

22044 on February 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Dearbornistan won’t have a problem electing a corrupt wife.

AH_C on February 24, 2014 at 10:07 AM

One we know it WON’T be. One of them JOOOOOOS!

Maybe the Al-Qaeda or Al-Shabaab party will pull it out!

NavyMustang on February 24, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Dingell, poster geriatric for everything that’s wrong with Washington today.

Meople on February 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM

To clarify the reason I don’t support term limits is because I don’t want to lose good representatives like Tim Scott or Mike Lee, rand paul, Ted cruz, and all the good conservative patriots working to defend obamacare and are the only ones fighting to save the republic.

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM

nico on February 24, 2014 at 10:20 AM

I see what you did there. ;)

BigAlSouth on February 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM

She was 1 year old when her husband was appointed to congress

ConservativePartyNow on February 24, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Nobody can accuse Debbie of being a cougar.

Happy Nomad on February 24, 2014 at 10:28 AM

LOL – “I don’t want people to say I stayed to long”

After over 50 years – who would ever think that?

Michh on February 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I suppose it can be very frustrating when the people will not just roll over and accept progressive fascism without a fight.

It also demonstrates that Dingell is part of the problem, not part of the solution.

Their history almost makes one desire the requirement of passing a civics test one of the prerequisites for being able to cast a ballot.

Athos on February 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM

There are no words…

What does he think he is, a Senator?

Hmm. Ok, maybe there are a few words…

There Goes the Neighborhood on February 24, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Oh, Dearborne…. well, he certainly has done a lot of good there – right?!
/SARC

Free Indeed on February 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM

My what a lovely picture..

Hey Dems, you want to see what you support, get a load
of these two sponges of Puss…

ToddPA on February 24, 2014 at 10:33 AM

And yes, I’ve been to Dearborn-istan.

Free Indeed on February 24, 2014 at 10:34 AM

And I’m still as smart and capable as anyone on the Hill

I think he’d best head over to the Senate, and have a conversation with Senator Stuart Smalley…

JohnGalt23 on February 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

“I don’t want people to say I stayed too long.”

I will say it.

You stayed too long.

Mike Morrissey on February 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Term limits..

d1carter on February 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

LOL – “I don’t want people to say I stayed to long”

After over 50 years – who would ever think that?

Michh on February 24, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Remember Robert Byrd or Strom Thurmond. They literally had staffers propping them up in their seats and voting for them. When a corrupt MI Democrat like Dingell says “stayed too long” he’s talking about his physical ability to do the job, not the fact that staying in the same job for well over half a century might be seen as overstaying one’s welcome.

Happy Nomad on February 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

But, but, but….Republicans don’t have a chance, ever ever again, right guys? We have to give up on ever seeing power again until after the next Civil War, right? You’d think 2014 was going to be the year the progtards’ lies finally catch up to them, or something, and the retirees don’t want to stay in a Congress with Republicans in charge?

Sekhmet on February 24, 2014 at 10:41 AM

1 dingleberry wiped and flushed.
hundreds left.
by toilet paper stock.

dmacleo on February 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Dingellberry

Somebody had to actually use it.

NoFanofLibs on February 24, 2014 at 10:42 AM

“I don’t want people to say I stayed too long.”

Oh, well, good thing you dodged that bullet.

SoRight on February 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM

“I don’t want people to say I stayed too long.”

LOL! Now his 60 year old wife says that she might want to pursue his seat. Good Lord, the business of people inheriting these congressional seats must end. The fact that the Dingell family has held this area of Michigan for the past 80 years is a disgrace. Of course, the local Detroit media are falling over themselves today to sing John Jr.’s praises. What a ridiculous spectacle. There are discussing all of John Jr.’s legislative achievements. All Dingell ever did was create more laws to restrict our freedom. He and his late father were, of course, two of the biggest drivers for the supposed panacea of government-run health insurance. Good riddance to this fossil!

WV736 on February 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Dude, that picture is gross!

22044 on February 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Swapping polident. HOT!!

rik on February 24, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Dingell Berry is more like it. He’s been feeding at the public trough forever. Has done nothing constructive for Michigan, but was always able to get the stupid demorats to keep voting for him. Good riddance to a real parasite.

nobama1267 on February 24, 2014 at 10:51 AM

he won’t seek re-election this fall to the seat he’s held since 1955.

Term limits, baby.

You didn’t stay too long. You stayed way, way, way too long. And the examples set by Byrd and “Uncle” Teddy were freaking embarrassments to your party.

And I’m still as smart and capable as anyone on the Hill.

Not buying it, even if the vast majority of Congresspersons are corrupt idiots.

“But I’m not certain I would have been able to serve out the two-year term.”

So your health is just dandy and you’re as spry as ever, but you can’t last another term. Mmmmkay.

You dims are the obnoxious ones.

Yeah, and the thumbnail to this thread is nauseating. Next time I won’t log onto HotGas right after drinking my morning hot chocolate.

MisterElephant on February 24, 2014 at 10:54 AM

WV736 on February 24, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I’ll never forget the town halls over Obamacare. The filthy bastard was truly shocked that his constituents were angry. He was clearly expecting them to sit their dutifully and get lectured about how only partisans would be upset with the brilliance of nationalizing the health system.

May John Dingell be soon rotting in whatever level of hell these evil politicians inhabit.

Happy Nomad on February 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM

“I don’t want people to say I stayed too long.”

I know. I didn’t want people to think I was anti-semitic.
A.H.

rik on February 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Go the way of Waxman, another one of Nancy’s sheep.

Now, MI might replace Carl Levin, the monster, with a R woman. Eat your heart out D-rats.

It’s a pretty cool day at HA.

Schadenfreude on February 24, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Michigan, US
12m
Sen. Carl Levin, D-Mich., on Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich.: I have known no better person in government during my 35 years in Congress – @ChadPergram

canopfor on February 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Casualty List: 113th Congress (2013-2014)

John D. Dingell, D-Mich., 87, 29 terms

Dearborn, MI, US
24m
====

Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich., to leave Congress in 2015 after serving 60 years, longer than anyone in US history – @detroitnews
read more on detroitnews.com

canopfor on February 24, 2014 at 9:54 AM

canopfor on February 24, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Term limits!

neyney on February 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Dearbornistan, eh? Could that leave an opening for a member of the Religon of Peace to run in the hope of an increase to the muslim ranks in CONgress? Certainly CONgress could use the diversity, and what’s the likelihood of the GOP winning the seat?

/SNARK

I’m guessing that “better” is in the sense of no person has done better for his party’s goals. In any other sense Dingell’s party sets the bar real low for what most would consider a “better person” I’m thinkin’.

hawkeye54 on February 24, 2014 at 11:10 AM

“I don’t want people to say I stayed too long.”

A little late for that, I think.

Cleombrotus on February 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Term limits!

neyney on February 24, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Yup. It’d be better than having someone make a lifetime career out of it. 6 years would be enough time in CONgress, let alone 60.

hawkeye54 on February 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM

“I don’t want people to say I stayed too long.”

A little late for that, I think.

Cleombrotus on February 24, 2014 at 11:11 AM

About 40 years too late.

hawkeye54 on February 24, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Dude, that picture is gross!

22044 on February 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

With that mug he could get a gig with Criminal Minds as a serial killer.

davidk on February 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM

With that mug he could get a gig with Criminal Minds as a serial killer.

davidk on February 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM

He’d make a pretty darned convincing corpse too.

Happy Nomad on February 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Wait, he says he’s leaving after 29 terms because he doesn’t want people to think he stayed too long??

Jack_Burton on February 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM

David Burge (@iowahawkblog)
2/24/14, 9:44 AM

They consider themselves royalty, where seats in Congress are thrones to be passed down to heirs.

changer1701 on February 24, 2014 at 11:20 AM

2014 US elections
1m
===

Full list of US Congress members who have announced plans to leave their seats ahead of November elections – @Reuters
read more on reuters.com
========================

Members of Congress who are leaving office
WASHINGTON Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:45am EST
****************************************

(Reuters) – Forty-five representatives and senators have announced plans to leave their seats in Congress before November congressional elections, including 24 Republicans and 21 Democrats.

The latest to announce was Democrat John Dingell, the longest-serving member of Congress who represented Michigan in the House of Representatives for nearly six decades.

U.S. HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

Republicans currently control the House 232 to 199 with four vacancies.

Departing House Republicans (21)

* Doc Hastings, Washington state (10 terms)

* Representative Gary Miller, California (eight terms)

* Representative Trey Radel, Florida (served less than one full term, resigned)

* Representative Shelley Moore Capito, West Virginia (six terms, seeking Senate seat)

* Representative Paul Broun, Georgia (three terms, seeking Senate seat)

* Representative Bill Cassidy, Louisiana (three terms, seeking Senate seat)

* Representative Phil Gingrey, Georgia (six terms, seeking Senate seat)

* Representative Jack Kingston, Georgia (11 terms, seeking Senate seat)

* Representative Michele Bachmann, Minnesota (four terms)

* Representative John Campbell, California (five terms)

* Representative Tom Cotton, Arkansas (one term, seeking Senate seat)

* Representative Spencer Bachus, Alabama (11 terms)

* Representative Tim Griffin, Arkansas (two terms)

* Representative Jon Runyan, New Jersey (two terms)

* Representative Steve Daines, Montana (one term, seeking Senate seat)

* Representative Howard Coble, North Carolina (served 15 terms)

* Representative Steve Stockman, Texas (two terms, seeking Senate seat)

* Representative Frank Wolf, Virginia (17 terms)

* Representative Tom Latham, Iowa (10 terms)

* Representative Jim Gerlach, Pennsylvania (six terms)

* Representative Buck McKeon, California (11 terms)

Departing House Democrats (16)

* Representative John Dingell, Michigan (30 terms)

* Representative Rush Holt, New Jersey (eight terms)

* Representative Gloria Negrete McLeod, California (one term)

* Representative Rob Andrews, New Jersey (resigned during 12th term)

* Representative Henry Waxman, California (20 terms)

* Representative Bruce Braley, Iowa (four terms, seeking Senate seat)

* Representative Gary Peters, Michigan (three terms, seeking Senate seat)

* Representative Colleen Hanabusa, Hawaii (two terms, seeking Senate seat)

* Representative Michael Michaud, Maine (six terms, seeking governorship)

* Representative Jim Matheson, Utah (seven terms)

* Representative Carolyn McCarthy, New York (nine terms)

* Representative Mike McIntyre, North Carolina (nine terms)

* Representative George Miller, California (20 terms)

* Representative Bill Owens, New York (two terms)

* Representative Jim Moran, Virginia (12 terms)

* Representative Allyson Schwartz, Pennsylvania (five terms,

seeking governorship)

U.S. SENATE

Democrats currently control the Senate, 55-45.

Departing Senate Republicans (3)

* Senator Saxby Chambliss, Georgia (two terms)

* Senator Tom Coburn, Oklahoma (two terms)

* Senator Mike Johanns, Nebraska (one term)

Departing Senate Democrats (5)

* Senator Tom Harkin, Iowa (five terms)

* Senator Tim Johnson, South Dakota (three terms)

* Senator Carl Levin, Michigan (six terms)

* Senator Jay Rockefeller, West Virginia (five terms)

* Senator Max Baucus, Montana (six terms, confirmed February 6 as U.S. ambassador to China)
=======================

canopfor on February 24, 2014 at 11:26 AM

As a native Michigander I can assure you that the only thing that will change is that we’ll get a younger, more energetic Communist, instead of an old worn-out one.

307wolverine on February 24, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Dingle-berry, that is…….

ultracon on February 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Photo tagline:
“Skeletor warmly embraces 2000 Year Old Man”.

Not to worry, Dingers: Nobody is starting to think you’ve been there too long.
We’ve been thinking it since about 1980.

Don’t let the door hit your walker on the way out, champ.

orangemtl on February 24, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

rightside on February 24, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Dangling a Dingell in front of Dearborn Democrats?

Sounds like the prelude to an Anthony Weiner joke.

EdmundBurke247 on February 24, 2014 at 12:17 PM

What a pos… too bad Fat Ted Kennedy drank all the scotch in hell on day one…. Dingles is gonna get thirsty.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on February 24, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Looking at that picture just makes me wonder at what age did their consciences stop bothering them?

Cleombrotus on February 24, 2014 at 12:29 PM

David Burge (@iowahawkblog)
2/24/14, 9:44 AM

Can anyone say Term Limits!!

tencole on February 24, 2014 at 12:33 PM

What, already?

Dingell finds the House “obnoxious” because he is back in the minority and there is no hope of being a committee chairman in the next Congress.

But of the congressional Democrats, I’ve always had a bit of respect for him ever since he called the BATF a “bunch of jack-booted thugs” for their gun raids.

Adjoran on February 24, 2014 at 12:40 PM

Too late.

So is my dog, whose idea of intellectual stimulation is licking her privates for 20 minutes.

Maddie on February 24, 2014 at 12:42 PM

John Dingell and his wife Debbie are both charter members of the lucky sperm club. He inherited his father’s seat in Congress (John Dingell has lived in Washington for over 80 years, since he was three years old) and she’s an heiress to the Fisher Body fortune. In 2011 at the media preview to the Detroit auto show, I got the opportunity to ask Dingell, “Mr. Dingell, in light of the fact that you’ve become a multimillionaire while serving in Congress, do you think it was appropriate to call your last opponent “a rich doctor”?”. His response was to flail his arms at me like a small child, refusing to answer the question, then he sat down petulantly on the courtesy golf cart the show was providing to him and his staff.

rokemronnie on February 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM

It won’t be just one more Dingell either, the son will follow the wife. The family seems to own that seat and the Libs will keep voting for them.

Northwoods on February 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Godspeed to your eternal reward. You earned it reprobate!

Murphy9 on February 24, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Rep. John Dingell won’t seek re-election in 2014
4m
President Obama on Rep. John Dingell, D-Mich.: Today, the people of Michigan, and the American people, are better off because of John Dingell’s service to this country – @ChadPergram

canopfor on February 24, 2014 at 1:39 PM

My Lord that picture…There goes lunch.

bluesdoc70 on February 24, 2014 at 1:40 PM

(Accompanying picture) Dingell and dingbat.

potvin on February 24, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Good riddance! Term limits for all pols!

earlgrey on February 24, 2014 at 2:06 PM

Carrying him out of Congress feet first would be inappropriate, I agree.

Dragging him out, and down the steps feet first seems a better option.
‘Bump, bump, bump, bump’,….

orangemtl on February 24, 2014 at 2:07 PM

But will there still be a Dingell in the seat?

Depends.

portlandon on February 24, 2014 at 2:23 PM

I’m OK. And I’m still as smart and capable as anyone on the Hill.

Not setting a very high bar, John.

Solaratov on February 24, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I’m not a Dingell fan or anything but he gets a thumbs up for this statement circa 1994:
“ATF agents behave like JackBooted Thugs.” (I don’t recall the exact relationship but it was about the time of Janet ‘Inferno’ Reno and the WACO debacle.)
Dingell’s statment was painfully accurate.

Missilengr on February 24, 2014 at 3:54 PM

Finally! Kinda been on the taxpayer dime too long, John. Good luck to you.

Amazingoly on February 24, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Dingell doesn’t want anyone saying he stayed too long, 29 terms I would say is at least 28 too long. The damage he has done with his cohorts in the house in 58 years is probably not fixable anymore.

take responsibility on February 24, 2014 at 4:05 PM

One shining moment for John Dingell was many years ago when the Democrats had some nasty gun control ready to pass and the Republicans had already surrendered.

John Dingell representing Michigan’s gun owners stepped up and was able to almost singlehandedly stop it.

RJL on February 24, 2014 at 4:10 PM

The wife is 60. She’s been married to him for 38 years. He’s 88.

MOG, she was 22 when she let him start pawing her. He was 50.

Please stop. It makes the skin crawl.

chuckh on February 24, 2014 at 4:24 PM

Raquel Pinkbullet on February 24, 2014 at 10:21 AM

The evidence is painfully clear that many electors are not willing to oust their reps, no matter how ancient or corrupt (policy deficiencies don’t count – everyone is entitled to representation, even when they are wrong — and ineffectiveness is a plus when the congress-person supports policies I disagree with).

I would limit even those I support to at most 20-25 years in public service (all elected, appointed, and employee years combined, any level).

Even the best go bad eventually.

While we are at it, terminate the Congressional pension plan and substitute defined-contribution 401(k) plans, with government contributions only during time served; then cap that at 20 years even without term limits.

AesopFan on February 24, 2014 at 5:10 PM

“I don’t want people to say I stayed too long.”

Too late.

About 56 years too late.

VelvetElvis on February 24, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Dearborn? I remember a Dearborn of years-decades-ago. That Dearborn is long gone. And yet Dingell has survived until now. Creepy.

tenore on February 24, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Amen. That is why, when I voted early today, even though I voted conservative here in Texas, I could not bring myself to vote for yet another George Bush.

I hate political Dynasties. I think that they are anathema to a vibrant Republic and I think that they represent the worst parts of the Royalty system which we shucked off all of those years ago.

I especially hate the wife-taking-over-where-her-husband-left-off as if, just by being married to the guy, she is absorbed through osmosis the ability to do the job. That is so ludicrous. It almost always is a Democrat who does this (although, to be fair, it has happened once or twice on the Republican side – Elizabeth Dole for instance), and it blows my mind how they can scream about equality for the genders, but then they have such lowered expectations for when a woman runs. The Democrats scream that women should be self-reliant and independent, but then they have so many of their female candidates riding their husband’s coattails into office (yes, I am looking at you, Hilary Clinton). Sigh.

Theophile on February 25, 2014 at 12:42 AM