Primary challenger to Pat Roberts found to have some curious Facebook postings; Update: Wolf statement added

posted at 11:01 am on February 23, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

In the GOP Senate primary in Kansas, Pat Roberts has drawn a challenge from Dr. Milton Wolf, a physician and distant cousin of President Obama. The race has drawn more attention than it otherwise might ever since it was alleged that Senator Roberts wasn’t actually keeping a home in the state he serves. All of this politico action has given a boost to Dr. Wolf, but has also drawn the predictable scrutiny and oppo research that any viable candidate faces.

This weekend the digging turned up some rather curious images on Wolf’s previous Facebook page – now replaced with a Senate candidacy site – and they are raising questions of ethics, or at least a rather questionable sense of humor.

U.S. Senate candidate Milton Wolf posted a collection of gruesome X-ray images of gunshot fatalities and medical injuries to his Facebook page and participated in online commentary layered with macabre jokes and descriptions of carnage.

Wolf, a Johnson County radiologist anchoring a campaign for the Republican nomination with calls for federal heath care reform, said in an interview the medical images were legally uploaded to public social media sites and other online venues for educational purposes. They also served, he said, to demonstrate evil lurking in the world.

A doctor publishing medical material for educational purposes shouldn’t raise any eyebrows, but it appears that the real questions arose concerning some of his entries in the comments section.

Wolf and others viewing these Facebook postings relentlessly poked fun at the dead or wounded. The gunshot victim, Wolf joked online, wasn’t going to complain about the awkward positioning of his head for an X-ray. In a separate Facebook comment, Wolf wrote that an X-ray of a man decapitated by gunfire resembled a wounded alien in a “Terminator” film and that the image offered evidence people “find beauty in different things.”

It doesn’t sound like anything actionable, but it paints the candidate in a pretty poor light. Further, circling back to the question of publishing such material, even if the identity of the victims was removed, you have to wonder how many people showed up with those types of wounds in the same period. It probably wasn’t too difficult to figure out who they were, so even if it’s not a technical violation of HIPAA restrictions it certainly looks like poor judgement.

Yet another lesson for those looking to launch a career in politics and those who support them. Vetting is critical, and doing a thorough check of the aspiring candidate’s social media sites should be a no-brainer. Roberts has seen his disapproval numbers climbing over the past year, though he still holds a comfortable lead over both Wolf in the August primary and his Democrat challenger in the general election. But even if Roberts turns out to be seriously vulnerable, any further discoveries such as this may wind up showing that Dr. Wolf simply wasn’t ready for prime time.

Update (Ed): Dr. Wolf has updated his website with this statement:

My training as a diagnostic radiologist included the critical component of studying medical images published both in textbooks and online. I have myself authored and published educational material that teaches medical imaging to medical students and doctors. Of the thousands of medical images I have published I have taken care to maintain patient privacy.

Several years ago I made some comments about these images that were insensitive to the seriousness of what the images revealed. Soon thereafter, I removed those images and comments, again several years ago. For them to be published in a much more public context now, by a political adversary who would rather declare war on doctors than answer serious questions that Kansans have, is truly sad. However, my mistakes are my own and I take full responsibility for them.

I have said throughout this campaign and long before it began that I bear the scars of taking the Oath to my patients. When I was 15 years old, I stood at my father’s bedside, himself a rural doctor, and watched him take his last breath. It was at that moment that I knew I would take his torch and dedicate my life to serving patients in need. I’m reminded just how extraordinarily difficult the burden is when I have failed to live up to his example.

It is an incredible honor and an enormous burden to work shoulder-to-shoulder with dedicated people who every day run towards the screaming instead of away. The cumulative effect of day after day, year after year, witnessing so much human suffering, so much tragedy, takes its toll. I’ve seen the burdens of practicing medicine tear apart families and drive good people to vice and as great as the honor is to serve, I would still not wish the burdens of it upon anyone. To those I have offended, I am truly sorry and I ask for your forgiveness.

And now, years later, because I have declared that I am willing to stand up for my country, Senator Pat Roberts wants to attack me as a doctor rather than giving Kansans a reason to vote for him. It’s sad. Pat Roberts has not been able to identify a single issue on which he thinks I am wrong and so he’s doing things the Washington way: character assassination. Kansans should know that I will not be intimidated by their bullying. I did not back down when Barack Obama’s IRS audited me and I will not back down from the desperate attacks of a 47-year Washington insider either.

Update (Ed): Glenn Reynolds’ point is worth noting:

Okay, by NRSC, I really mean the NRSC’s Brad Dayspring. I follow him, and I like his tweets. But he’s been hammering this all day and it’s a dreadful, dreadful mistake. I accept his claim that he’s just interested in making sure the seat goes GOP. But when the NRSC gets out and attacks a Tea Party challenger — and that, make no mistake, is what’s going on — it poisons the well. There’s basically no trust for the GOP establishment among the base. If they stay home in 2014 like they did in 2012 because they feel betrayed by the establishment, what should be a wave election won’t be.

I get that, too, especially on stuff like this. The issue of TARP and Bevin’s position in Kentucky is a real issue of trustworthiness; this Wolf thing isn’t even really germane to policy or politics, and it’s apparently pretty old on top of it. The NRSC should give this kind of thing a wide berth.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 4 5 6

It must be tough for Roberts to run as a KS Senator when he has no platform.

Brock Robamney on February 24, 2014 at 6:41 AM

Brad Dayspring as much as admitted that the NRSC seeks to re-elect incumbent Republicans. So now every time Dayspring or anyone else tells you the NRSC doesn’t take sides in a primary election, you can know that they’re either lying, or an idiot. But mostly lying.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 6:54 AM

It must be tough for Roberts to run as a KS Senator when he has no platform.

Brock Robamney on February 24, 2014 at 6:41 AM

It’s illegal for him to run in Kansas when he has no residency.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 6:57 AM

I think you have to ditch this guy. Sorry, I know it goes against popular opinion on this site, but I don’t think he will be worth the headache. This is the kind of story that will go national during the election season. This is some serious red meat that will not be passed up by the democrats.

Why would we want to make it so easy to paint republicans and supporters of the 2nd Amendment as heartless neanderthals because that is what will happen? Why would we want this topic to overshadow all the other important topics that need to be talked about and dealt with?

I know it was just a poor joke, but in my opinion he still has to go.

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 7:02 AM

I know it was just a poor joke, but in my opinion he still has to go.

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 7:02 AM

The question is, how come the NRSC is painting a Republican as a heartless neanderthal? If you go against popular opinion on this site, do you think perhaps it might go against popular opinion in Kansas as well?

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 7:19 AM

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 7:19 AM

To be fair, cracking jokes about someone who was decapitated due to gun fire is pretty insensitive. This race has the potential to affect many races that are completely unconnected from the one in Kansas, which is why I think he needs to go.

If you have a loved one, a parent, a wife, or a child who was murdered would you want a politician cracking jokes about it? Probably not. Furthermore, if the shoe were on the other foot, and this guy was a Democrat everyone would outraged while also rubbing their hands in glee about how this would benefit republicans during the election.

To be clear, if we were talking about a popular veteran politician then yeah, lets get behind him and support him. However, this guy is a nobody, and he’s about to get painted with a very broad brush…

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 7:37 AM

To be fair, he was not “cracking jokes” or “making fun of” anyone. It was brought to his attention that he was being insensitive, which is why he removed the pictures and comments in question years ago. Is this of larger concern to you than Roberts’ lying about his Kansas residency? If so, maybe you need to re-examine your priorities.

Okay. I mentioned this upthread. Nowhere in the original article does it say the X-rays (can we stop calling them “photos” please? the pictures in question were not of corpses) were of murder victims. Gumnshot =/= murder.

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 7:37 AM

No shit? That never happens to Republicans, does it? Especially not by their own!/

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Is Wonderboy Brad Draspring starting to feel the heat?

Btw, Dan Riehl has tweeted:

@BDayspring past actions? Like being fired by Bush’s ppl for leaking, and by Cantor’s office. too

And this:

Matthew Boyle ‏@mboyle1 8 h

Instead of Milton Wolf story being about Milton Wolf, @BDayspring has managed to make it about NRSC playing in primaries/infuriating base

Heywood Jablome ‏@FUSigma 8 h

@BDayspring Do you not understand that we’ll stay home if you piss us off? @instapundit pic.twitter.com/cQJ7pfslMT

And the best (IMHO):

Jeff Emanuel ‏@jeffemanuel 20 h

Nice of @BDayspring to make crystal clear that @NRSC purpose isn’t a Republican Senate, but simple incumbent protection

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Is Wonderboy Brad Draspring starting to feel the heat?

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 7:44 AM

Sure sounds like it, doesn’t it? He’s admitted that the NRSC is an incumbent protection racket. But I’m sure that won’t make any difference at all to the “Milton Wolf is an idiot” crowd.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 7:48 AM

It’s illegal for him to run in Kansas when he has no residency.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 6:57 AM

Hey, he has a LaZBoy and knows how to use it.

cptacek on February 24, 2014 at 7:50 AM

It’s illegal for him to run in Kansas when he has no residency.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 6:57 AM

Hey, he has a LaZBoy and knows how to use it.

cptacek on February 24, 2014 at 7:50 AM

You’re absolutely right. I am chastened. Milton Wolf’s years-old indiscretion is far more important than Pat Roberts’ criminal fraud.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 7:51 AM

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 7:48 AM

This arrogant little brat kept piling on Wold for ages on twitter; he just couldn’t stop, despite instapundit’s sound advice (STFU).

Until he made it all about the NRSC. What a moron.

Kudos to moelane and baseballcrank for outing him.

Hopefully, he’s going to get fired a third time :-)

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Doesn’t matter. They are still the murdered remains of a human life. Photos, xrays, doesn’t matter, it’s still a human being, and that’s the way it will be played nationally. You can pretend otherwise if you would like, but many people will see a person in those x-rays not just lifeless bones.

In this very article, you’ll read: “The gunshot victim, Wolf joked online, wasn’t going to complain about the awkward positioning of his head for an X-ray.” Either this guy is an idiot, or he’s an idiot with a stupid sense of humor, either way he needs to go.

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM

either way he needs to go.

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM

He only will go when defeated in the primary.

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:03 AM

He only will go when defeated in the primary.

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Maybe, but I think he should go long before we get to that point.

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 7:37 AM

Please elaborate.

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Maybe, but I think he should go long before we get to that point.

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 8:05 AM

If you’re in KS, you can oust him by voting against him.

If not, what are you gonna do? Call the cops?

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM

You trust the author of the article. That’s your first mistake. Wolf merely mentioned to a medical student that a corpse wasn’t going to complain after the medical student told him that she was chastened for positioning the head wrong. Recap: Wolf was reassuring a radiology student. Not cracking funny.

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 8:01 AM

Nowhere in the original article, which clearly has an agenda, does it say “murder.” And you’re just telling me “they are still the murdered remains of a human life?” Dude. Your dishonesty is gobsmacking. Or is it just that you are the idiot you claim Milton Wolf is?

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 8:11 AM

If Wolf wins the primary, it’s going to be Ted Cruz on steroids. Haters the nation over in the Republican Party will be shitting themselves and crying like diaper-clad infants. And I will laugh.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Count me in ;-)

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Almost O/T. From the trenches in Michigan:

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:17 AM

If you’re in KS, you can oust him by voting against him.

If not, what are you gonna do? Call the cops?

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM

I apologize if a nameless, faceless, internet opinion is causing you undue stress… Let me clarify so you can once again relax. I’m just doing what everyone else is doing on this site: expressing an opinion. With that being said I don’t have to live in Kansas to donate money to the opposition, which I’m not going to, I just think he should drop out.

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM

He won’t. Don’t bet the farm on it.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 8:22 AM

publius75 on February 24, 2014 at 8:18 AM

Rest assured you are not stressing me at all. :)

He won’t drop out for something he posted and deleted ages ago. He shouldn’t and if I were him, I wouldn’t.

He’s a physician and if you never heard about the occasional black humor displayed by people who are confronted to extreme suffering every day, then I don’t know what to say. Years ago, he made a bad joke, pulled it down and apologized. The story ends there.

This thing is only a scandal in the eyes of those wishing it to be, namely the NRSC.

I note with interest that Robert’s illegal run is of no interest in your eyes. He surely shouldn’t drop out for not residing in KS, right?

The moron on twitter hasn’t seen the end of it, believe me. He managed to piss off the wrong people in no time. Good.

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:31 AM

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Does Brad Dayspring really not understand that people will stay home? His passive-agressive pounding of the anti-Wolf meme is more apt to help the Dems than people voting in the primary for Wolf. But shucks no, the NRSC doesn’t have an agenda beyond getting Republicans elected incumbent protection!

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 8:35 AM

And now the Daily Mail is covering Wolf’s bizarre and tasteless use of deceased people’s X-Rays, god knows how many will be covering it by November. If anyone on this site thinks that if Wolf wins the primary, the Democrats will not use this against him in the election and use it against Republicans all over the country, you are completely nuts. I am sick to death of Republicans candidates shooting themselves in the foot through their own stupidity, “I am not a witch”, “Second-Amendment solutions”, “I got to get me that gun, look what it did to his head”, and even more disgusted with the defense so many people of this site provide for them, because they “fight” or “have the right enemies”, or some such nonsense

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM

I took nursing classes, “Doc.” It’s not bizarre and it’s not tasteless. It’s commonplace, and in fact quite routine. When I took Anatomy & Physiology, our lab instructor covered the corpse’s face for most of the dissection exercises, but it was made known to us that it was mainly out of her personal preference and that we would eventually have to see the face for dissection of the head and study of the parts therein.

By the by, what are your feelings about the criminal fraud being perpetrated by Pat Roberts? I’m guessing you find that far less concerning. That doesn’t make you uncomfortable in the least, does it, “Doc?” What are you a Doctor of, anyway? I’m guessing not medicine, though I could be wrong.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM

the Democrats will not use this against him in the election and use it against Republicans all over the country.

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Explain to me clearly how they gonna do that without beclowning themselves?

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Does Brad Dayspring really not understand that people will stay home?
gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Well, according to instapundit, no he doesn’t.

By the way, someone from KS posted yesterday that no Dem has a chance in the general in KS. So maybe it sheds a new light on the NRSC’s rage…

And today, the moron on twitter is silent about Wolf, after yesterday’s logorrhea… Hmmm.

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 9:06 AM

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Not up yet?

cptacek on February 24, 2014 at 9:18 AM

There is no such thing as a candidate that it safe from Dem. attacks, as Democrats are more than capable of manufacturing a “scandal” out of thin air.

This sort of attack just reminds voters how disgusted they are with petty partisan politics and could very well backfire at the ballot box.

lynncgb on February 24, 2014 at 9:23 AM

cptacek on February 24, 2014 at 9:18 AM

Oh, yes, he has woken up. But not tweeting on Wolf. :)

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 9:30 AM

No, it will not backfire, Wolf will be another Richard Mourdock, losing a Republican Senate seat in a very conservative midwestern state. Let’s just focus on winning viable Senate seats from Democrats, not making the GOP’s job harder to hold safe seats by nominating doctors who think laughing at corpses on Facebook is socially acceptable. The Tea Party has a choice, does it want to be a successful political movement, or does it want to resemble Thulsa Doom’s snake cult from Conan the Barbarian? Right now, it looks like it prefers the later option

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM

No, it will not backfire.
Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM

Wanna bet?

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 9:50 AM

Wolf’s lack of sensitivity validates his claim that he’s related to Obama.

jediwebdude on February 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Wolf’s lack of sensitivity validates his claim that he’s related to Obama.

jediwebdude on February 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Wonderful. Guilty by association.

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM

You have a choice. You can either vote for a 47 year incumbent who doesn’t live in the state, or a young doctor who acknowledged his mistake about these X-rays and has a solid Tea Party platform. Choose.

cptacek on February 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM

cptacek on February 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM

He’s already chosen. I’m pretty sure that the KS peeps are smarter than him.

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 9:53 AM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM

cptacek on February 24, 2014 at 9:51 AM

There’s no question what the moby’s choice is.

Note how these folks are only and always concerned with what might go wrong with the challenger, what Democrats might say about them, etc.

Never worried about the actual behavior or statements of the feeble incumbent, nor what the Democrats might say about *him*.

Hey Doc, you’re so smart – you think the Democrat challenger in the general won’t bring up the fact that the incumbent doesn’t actually live in Kansas, hasn’t for years, and has been fraudulently lying about it the whole time?

No, of course not – you’re only worried about a dusty years-old indiscretion that was rectified – not the current, live, actual problem slapping the incumbent in the face.

Brilliant.

Midas on February 24, 2014 at 10:06 AM

When the choice is between a 47-year incumbent who will hold the seat for the GOP, vs a TruCon fool who will lose a seat in a red state to a Democrat, I choose the 47-year incumbent, EVERY TIME. And fortunately my Kansas relatives feel the same

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I’m guessing JohnBirch23 also objects to anyone posting pictures of lynchings or discussing the evils of the Klan.

AH_C on February 24, 2014 at 2:24 AM

So, if Wolf had posted pix of lynching victims, rather than gunshot victims, and ran a bunch of running commentary making jokes about them, you wouldn’t think that was creepy, inappropriate, and in bad taste?

As I say, Pavlovian. Let me just get my bell…

JohnGalt23 on February 24, 2014 at 10:12 AM

and keep referring to these X-rays images as pictures.

There Goes the Neighborhood on February 24, 2014 at 3:00 AM

Well, they were uploaded to the internet. I’m quite sure they were uploaded as some sort of file.

Tell me, were they audio files? Video files? .pdf files?

Or were they, as is more likely, simply JPEG files…?

JohnGalt23 on February 24, 2014 at 10:15 AM

If you think this is creepy, then you don’t know too much about doctors and nurses, and other clinical people.

There Goes the Neighborhood on February 24, 2014 at 3:00 AM

Yeah. Once again, I have friends on Facebook who are both MDs and RNs, one of whom I dated and is an ER nurse. I have yet to see them post a single picture of a gunshot victim online, much less engage in lighthearted banter about it.

But maybe they are more discreet than the man some are arguing should be carrying our standard in KS…

JohnGalt23 on February 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM

If you’re in KS, you can oust him by voting against him.

If not, what are you gonna do? Call the cops?

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 8:07 AM

Well, I could always make a donation to Roberts’ campaign…

JohnGalt23 on February 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Congratulations, you are officially a partisan hack.

nobar on February 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Who doesn’t live here? Who is actively going against the letter of the Constitution? Who could have rented a whole house for $300 instead of renting a LaZBoy for $300 from a donor who lives on a golf course?

cptacek on February 24, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Let me pose this. If Roberts, had raped a baby seal on a National Geographic program while signing autographs on pictures of child porn, would ya still vote for him? Well would ya now? Huh? Huh?

hawkdriver on February 24, 2014 at 10:48 AM

No, nobar, I am just interested in winning elections and advancing a center-right agenda, which you cannot do unless you, WIN ELECTIONS. Supporting suicidal candidates for office and thereby assisting the Democrats does not interest me

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Of course you are a hack. When your standard for supporting the incumbent is

will hold the seat for the GOP,

it reveals that you couldn’t give 2 shits who holds it, just so far as it is a warm body that votes for your preferred party.

But since you brought up “winning”, please answer this simple question:

Can anyone who pretends to be moderate please list the major conservative accomplishments of Bush 2000-2008? (and no, you can’t just say the tax cuts).
nobar on February 23, 2014 at 1:18 AM

Reminder, this was the last time a “center-right agenda” could be pushed, since that was the time that we “won”.

nobar on February 24, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

So you’ll support a man for winning an election who is provably guilty of criminal fraud. Thanks for clearing that up, “Doc.” What did you say you were a doctor of, again?

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 11:12 AM

No, it will not backfire

Says who? If Roberts wants to wage a penny-ante campaign of personal attacks and Wolf continues to prove his policy chops, voters may very well get turned off by the politics of personal destruction….which is exactly what this is.
Roberts is attacking Wolf’s credibility as a doctor and a professional, not as a candidate. How far is he willing to go to destroy Wolf? Roberts is looking quite power hungry and not above destroying Wolf’s entire livelihood in his bid to retain his seat. He could very well end up looking the villain.

doctors who think laughing at corpses on Facebook is socially acceptable.

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM

An ex-ray is hardly a corpse and most of us still have a sense of humor. Get back to me when you can prove Wolf did something illegal.

lynncgb on February 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM

-Ed Morrissey

Ed is right.

I really hope Wolf wins this.

bluegill on February 24, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Dr. Pepper, it’s obvious you don’t like conservatives or tea party challengers to Republican incumbents. That’s all this is about. Otherwise you wouldn’t have to be mischaracterizing and pretending to be beside yourself over a handful of old, harmless Facebook comments.

We’ve seen your type many times before. Your type will throw a hissy when the incumbent loses the primary, then refuse to vote in the general. Again, you’re not about winning elections; you’re just irked by conservative challengers.

bluegill on February 24, 2014 at 11:28 AM

doctors who think laughing at corpses on Facebook is socially acceptable.

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 9:46 AM

lynncgb on February 24, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Not only that, but saying that Dr. Wolf was “laughing at” anything strains credulity. It’d be better if we Wolf supporters stopped buying into that premise altogether.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 11:28 AM

On the merits, I think that the complaints about Dr. Wolf’s comments are misplaced. Doctors see a world that is often grim…and gallows type humor is often the only way they get to reduce the stress. Certainly one can argue that the posting of the pictures and comments on Facebook was inappropriate, even if the site was directed for fellow Doctors…but it took me some time to recognize the intensely public nature of Facebook; fortunately, I am slow to take part in new things, so I avoided inadvertent insults to the world at large…unless I intended to insult them.

However, what is most interesting is the view that because of the ancient nature of these posting, they are either useless or inappropriate for challenging Dr. Wolf’s candidacy or qualifications for holding office.

Am I having a senior creative moment, or did not the Progressive Liberal Left use to great effect actions that Mr. Romney took decades before his Presidential Candidacy? Certainly it was, to a large degree inconsequential and even false. It was absolutely distasteful. But apparently it was successful toward the end…which those same Progressive Liberal Leftists claimed as justification.

So why can and should it not be used now. Surely no one can imagine that if Dr. Wolf wins the primary that the Progressive Liberal Left will not use this against him? Test it’s usefulness now. Our candidates have to be battle tested and hardened.

TKPedersen42 on February 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

TKPedersen42 on February 24, 2014 at 12:02 PM

I guess you have to weigh inappropriate comments on a picture with actively committing fraud by not living in the state you purport to represent.

cptacek on February 24, 2014 at 12:07 PM

I can’t say I realized how badly Pat Roberts needed to be replaced. Until now.

There Goes the Neighborhood on February 24, 2014 at 3:09 AM

Exactly. I’ve had friends who I respect that have staffed for Roberts, so never really considered him a problem. But after this? Utterly convinced that it’s time for him to go.

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Congratulations, you are officially a partisan hack.

nobar on February 24, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I think that Ed and Jazz opened up registration so that they could start feeling some love. Wanted to get an army of inside-the-beltway types in here to agree with them. Then again, even Ed sees the problem with the GOP’s tactics on this. Yeah. We disagree on tactics. The GOP tactic to “winning” is to go to war with their voters and appease the Democrats. The voters would like to see that tactic turned on its head.

besser tot als rot on February 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Wow Jazz, you’re really back-peddled fast on your criticism of Dr. Wolf. But you’re wrong on the Bevin/TARP non-issue. If Bevin at one point in his private life while running a financial market organization (Veracity Funds) felt TARP was good for the market (and his business), and now has a new perspective in a new public life, why should he be attacked by the Senate Minority leader who also felt TARP was good for the financial markets and voted for it?

The GOP establishment war on Tea Party conservatives is real, and picking sides in each battle of the war is not only disingenuous, but also destructive.

ThePainfulTruth on February 24, 2014 at 12:44 PM

Wow Jazz, you’re really back-peddled fast on your criticism of Dr. Wolf.

That was Ed’s update, not Jazz’s.

cptacek on February 24, 2014 at 12:48 PM

JohnGalt23 on February 24, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Again, a moby with dishonest language usage.

Surprise, surprise.

Wolf didn’t post any ‘picture(s) of gunshot victims’ either, champ. If your case and/or point are meaningful and have merit, you wouldn’t feel the need to lie about what was actually done.

Midas on February 24, 2014 at 1:07 PM

“Moby”-according to the TruCons here,anyone who thinks Christine O’Donnell was a terrible candidate and who does not believe that Ted Cruz is the second coming of Jesus Christ

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Why should Virginia get 3 Senators and Kansas only get 1?

cptacek on February 24, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I have to be honest. You’re failing miserably in your attempts to characterize Wolf’s harmless, years-ago comments as anything but an irrelevant distraction. Your desperation in attacking conservative challengers to establishment incumbents is plain to see.

I so hope Wolf wins, if only to piss off the entitled GOPe gang who are willing to engage in character assassination to hang on to power.

bluegill on February 24, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Ladies & gentlemen: Exhibit A in why the GOP has roundly gone to pot.

The liberals, GOPe & media thank you for your compliance. It’s so nice when even the mere thought of media malfeasance will get the rubes in line.

kim roy on February 24, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I thank you for taking the time (3hrs59min to be exact) to answer the burning question that was presented to you.

I eagerly await your evidence to back up that comparison of Cruz to Christ.

nobar on February 24, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Dr.B on February 24, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Fortunately my dozens more of Kansas relatives feel different than you, so there. :-)

bluegill on February 24, 2014 at 3:32 PM

While I don’t normally like to toss around words like “MOBY” or “RINO,” I really have to wonder when issues like this arise. That some people would prefer a criminal fraud in office to a mildly indiscrete medical professional? Sorry. I just don’t get it. The only possible reasonable explanation seems to be a purposeful effort to poison the well.

gryphon202 on February 24, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Granted, the Facebook conversation is probably not his proudest moment. But let the person who has never uttered an off-color joke or a less than politically correct comment in a conversation with friends cast the first stone.

After watching the video at the link above, I am actually pretty impressed by the way the Doctor handled the interrogation by the self-rightious, and obviously biased Reporter. It was the Reporter who looked like a jerk by the end of the discussion.

We need candidates who have a backbone and won’t wilt when asked difficult questions during “gotcha” interviews with the liberal media.

If this is the worst thing the media can find on this Doctor, then he will be just fine as a candidate.

Stay strong Doctor!

wren on February 24, 2014 at 4:30 PM

Go Dr. Wolf!!!

This episode may end up winning him more supporters. He has handled this very well.

bluegill on February 24, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Well, I could always make a donation to Roberts’ campaign…

JohnGalt23 on February 24, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Please do.

The illegal candidate is already very well funded, so he’ll barely notice. But what wouldn’t you do for country?

BabyGrace on February 24, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Time for Roberts to be beaten.

Bmore on February 24, 2014 at 9:23 PM