Open thread: Sunday morning talking heads

posted at 8:01 am on February 23, 2014 by Allahpundit

Set those DVRs: It’s always a capital-e Event when Susan Rice hits the Sunday shows to push some misleading White House spin. She’ll be on “Meet the Press” this morning to warn Viktor Yanukovych and his pal Vladimir that they’d better not cross Obama’s red line in Ukraine or else we’ll … just have to look the other way and pretend that they haven’t.

If you’d rather wait and watch the Rice segment in a week or two after some new fact’s emerged to prove that she lied, flip to “This Week” and watch Dubya chat with Stephanopoulos about his presidency in retrospect. An obvious question at the moment: What exactly did Bush see in Putin’s “soul” the first time they met? (Actually, Bush has already explained that.)

Meanwhile, Scott Walker will be on “Fox News Sunday” to patiently remind the media yet again that the big scandal they’re babbling about this week is a juicy, if stale, nothingburger. The full line-up is at Politico.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

W :)

I’m sure every anchor will bring up Nugent ….do you agree with what he said? They never seem to ask that question when Lefty says something outrageous

cmsinaz on February 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM

I’m going to tune in to a few for a change and see what they say about Hillary. Seems like the push from the MSM seriously started.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Will gregory ask her if she regrets spewing those lying talking points? Yeah I don’t think so either

cmsinaz on February 23, 2014 at 8:05 AM

No, I dont miss big government DHS Bush !

TX-96 on February 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM

You know it HD

cmsinaz on February 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM

lol, I still have liberal friends Allah that say he and Kerry handled that … perfectly. They rope-a-doped Putin and Medveded doncha know?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:08 AM

No, I dont miss big government DHS Bush !

TX-96 on February 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM

How do you like the expansion of government surveillance under obama?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:10 AM

I don’t want pro-illegal alien amnesty Bush back.

We can do better than this guy.

But at least we got Alito during his time.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:11 AM

I for one, miss Bush immensely. We had less soldiers dying because the ROE prevented them from defending themselves. The military misses him.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:13 AM

You know it HD

cmsinaz on February 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Hey AZ!

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:14 AM

Bush has stayed mostly silent when it comes to criticizing Obama. Shame on him.

Obama blames most of the nation’s problems on GW Bush, and Bush pretends like they’re good friends. It’s pathetic.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:13 AM

But we still had soldiers dying under a CiC who told us that Islam was a “religion of peace” mere days after several of its adherents killed almost 3000 of our countrymen. While I feel rather lukewarm about missing W., I’d really rather go back to pre-1913 America if I had the choice.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:17 AM

Like all of us, GW was certainly not perfect but he was a courageous, honorable man of high morals and strong character. Unfortunately, none of those qualities exist in the current incumbent of the White House. You bet your butt I miss him.

rplat on February 23, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Did you guys see Rand Paul make a point on Twitter to defend Obama’s honor against Ted Nugent?

What is up with him? Hope he isn’t one who likes to get hosannas from liberals.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:21 AM

But we still had soldiers dying under a CiC (sic) who told us that Islam was a “religion of peace” mere days …

And the enemy was dying at that point also. It was a war. You want to key in on statements? He also stood on a pile of rubble mere days after the attack and said we’d find those responsible and punish them. And we did. Please, continue to cherry pick your assessment points though.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:22 AM

They should have a Quorum on who is more oppressive Dear Leader or Putin. Dear Leader wins hands down. Maybe they will give Dear Leader a prize. Like their adulation and blind devotion for a year. Oh wait….

Brock Robamney on February 23, 2014 at 8:23 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:22 AM

If I’m cherry picking, so are you. I said I’m lukewarm on the guy, not that I hate him. But if you can get past your hangup with the RoE to understand that he also brought us No Child Left Behind and Medicare Part D, maybe then you’ll begin to see the George W. Bush presidency a little more realistically.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:24 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:13 AM

tru dat

cmsinaz on February 23, 2014 at 8:25 AM

steve knornacki is still on his christie kick….unbelievable….

cmsinaz on February 23, 2014 at 8:25 AM

The military misses him.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:13 AM

You’d be hard-pressed to find other presidents from the past 50 years who care for their troops as much as Reagan and Bush. Six years after his term ended and he and Mrs. Bush still meet homecoming troops at the airport.

Bush has stayed mostly silent when it comes to criticizing Obama. Shame on him.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM

It’s called “having class”. Something you obviously know nothing about.

#WAR

Flora Duh on February 23, 2014 at 8:26 AM

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:24 AM

And the TSA. Don’t forget that the glorious Transportation Safety Administration was signed into existence under George W. Bush’s tenure. That alone is enough to give me a touch of dyspepsia.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:26 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Gryphon is quite right to point out Bush’s unfortunate and dishonest claims about Islam.

And did you have to include “sic” in your quoting of Gryphon? How petty of you.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:29 AM

No, I dont miss big government DHS Bush !

TX-96 on February 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Amen to that! It would’ve been great if the Republican party had ended with the Bushes and a real alternative to the dim party emerged. It will happen someday. It has too.

rickv404 on February 23, 2014 at 8:30 AM

We ultimately succeeded at doing much, much worse than W.

Bmore on February 23, 2014 at 8:31 AM

I miss Bush.

Brock Robamney on February 23, 2014 at 8:31 AM

If I’m cherry picking, so are you.

Well, okay. You don’t have time to listen to the whole seven years worth of stories about deploying under Bush and two under obama. And it would probably ruin the thread.

Bush was the hands-down better CinC.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Bush was the hands-down better.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Minor tweak. ; )

Bmore on February 23, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Obama Democrats blame most of the nation’s problems on GW Bush Republicans, and Bush Republicans pretend like they’re good friends. It’s pathetic.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Does it surprise you at all?

Vero Beach Florida on February 23, 2014 at 8:33 AM

We ultimately succeeded at doing much, much worse than W.

Bmore on February 23, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Yeah, we did. One of my biggest fears is that Barack Obama’s presidency, should it not herald the end of America as we know it, will change us so much that the constitution will be irreparably damaged and history’s judgement will be irreparably clouded.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:33 AM

It’s called “having class”. Something you obviously know nothing about.
#WAR
Flora Duh on February 23, 2014 at 8:26 AM

If pretending to be buddy-buddy with someone like Obama and refusing to speak out against him is what you call class, then that’s a shame.

I’ll take a patriot and someone who puts his country before some unspoken, gentlemanly “must not criticize successor” rule any day of the week.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:34 AM

We ultimately succeeded at doing much, much worse than W.

Bmore on February 23, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Yes, he did many things I didn’t agree with, but I never doubted for one minute that the man loved his country and did what HE thought was in the best interest of her citizens.

Flora Duh on February 23, 2014 at 8:35 AM

What is up with him? Hope he isn’t one who likes to get hosannas from liberals.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:21 AM

I suspect Rand was just getting ahead of the MSM’s soon to be claim that all Republicans are racist and must agree with Ted.

With Ted’s apology the remarks should be put to rest and I’m sure not what the left was hoping for.

plutorocks on February 23, 2014 at 8:35 AM

gilled one, would you say the same thing if Palins guy Cruz did a similar thing. Yes it’s a trap. Bread ball?

Bmore on February 23, 2014 at 8:36 AM

Minor tweak. ; )

Bmore on February 23, 2014 at 8:33 AM

I’ll take that.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:37 AM

plutorocks on February 23, 2014 at 8:35 AM

You’re probably right.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:38 AM

Bush was the hands-down better CinC.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:32 AM

Yeah, but better than Obama? Look, let me tell you what I think W. should have done that would have cost far fewer lives than what he did:

Make like we did in Berlin during WWII. Drop fliers in every regional language over every town that Al Qaeda might be hiding in that say something along the lines of the following –

You have 72 hours from receipt of this message to evacuate. After that, the American military will not be held responsible for your safety.

Part of the reason for Bush’s reputation as a good CiC is because we as a nation don’t have a stomach for real war. We haven’t fought what my grandparents would have considered a real war in 69 years. We just send our men and women overseas to get shot at and blown up in suicide attacks. And yes, W. did so too, though not to the same degree as Obama has.

I don’t judge the success of a CiC on his body count. I judge the CiC on his ability and willingness to rain maximum death, destruction, and chaos on an enemy until they can no longer fight (h/t ole’ blood ‘n’ guts Patton). In that regard, Bush has been weighed and found severely lacking.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM

Bmore on February 23, 2014 at 8:36 AM

I can see answering the question when asked, but going out of one’s way to do it just seemed a little much. Can you really imagine Cruz posting an unsolicited tweet like that? I cannot. And why do you diminish Cruz by describing him in terms of Palin? I prefer to think of him as “America’s Guy.” :-)

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Look, let me tell you what I think …

Um, no.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Watching the Olympic Hockey final. Go Canada!

Johnny 100 Pesos on February 23, 2014 at 8:43 AM

Bush has stayed mostly silent when it comes to criticizing Obama. Shame on him.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM

I’m sure glad Bill Clinton didn’t run around bashing Bush while he was in office. See? There are two sides to that coin. Bush is doing what he is supposed to do: Keep his mouth shut about the current president.

It is the job of McConnell, Boehner, and Romney to criticize Øbama. They haven’t and your anger should be directed at them, not Bush.

Grammar Nazi on February 23, 2014 at 8:43 AM

One thing I appreciate about Dick Cheney is that he says “screw it” to that “don’t criticize successor” rule and let’s Obama have it.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Um, no.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM

That’s it? “Um, no?” So does that mean you didn’t read my whole post, or that you wouldn’t be in favor of carpet bombing the living shit out of every known Al Qaeda stronghold in Iraq?

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:45 AM

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:42 AM

And Gill, Cruz publicly thanked Palin and gave her credit for his win. Does that mean absolutely nothing to you?

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM

I suppose Bush will tell us what a great guy Zero is and how his “heart is in the right place.” Sigh…

Rational Thought on February 23, 2014 at 8:50 AM

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:49 AM

It was great he did that. Shows he has class.
cc: Flora Duh

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:52 AM

That’s it? “Um, no?”

Yes. The comment was as poor analysis as a junior high schooler could have mustered and not really worth a detailed response. You’re untitled to muse in an uneducated manner about the war though. Your right.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:52 AM

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:34 AM

Yes, of course, having respect for the office that he once held is a shame. *rolls eyes*

I have more respect for President Bush for keeping quiet in the face of the abuse he’s taken from the media and the current administration in the past 6 years, than I would have if he were another Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton.

Of course, respect seems to be another word you appear to not know the meaning of.

#WAR

Flora Duh on February 23, 2014 at 8:54 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Your utter refusal to engage me doesn’t speak very well of your debating skills. But I guess that’s okay. I used to think that history started with the day of my birth, too. Then I grew up.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:54 AM

It was great he did that. Shows he has class.
cc: Flora Duh

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:52 AM

Wow. Just…wow.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:55 AM

Sock Sunday™ should be a regular feature at HA.

Murphy9 on February 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Moby Mondays™

Murphy9 on February 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:34 AM

and throughout the failed romney campaign, during which he never once laid a glove on obama, you, the faithful lapdog, never called him out on it.

shame on you.

renalin on February 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Sock Sunday™ should be a regular feature at HA.

Murphy9 on February 23, 2014 at 8:58 AM

Moby Mondays™

Murphy9 on February 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Oh, Murph. Coming from you, that hurts.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 8:52 AM

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Okay, Captain Chip On My Shoulder, why do you always get so very personal when you either get your ass handed to you, or when someone refuses to even participate in one of your more misguided opinions?

But there. You’ve used invectives and insults to get me to address you. Is that what we were going for? Did you win?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 9:01 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014

Gryphon and one of his new buddies went after a good fellow and police officer the other day who goes by NC Cop.NC Cop made some great points but Gryphon and the other poster went 110% asshole on him. Total respect lost. NC Cop said he would not be back. That IS a loss.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM

shame on you.
renalin on February 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Um, I was unhappy with how the long-promised counterattack never came. I was also so disappointed in Ryan’s weak, meek debate performance. I think many of us were.

Have a nice day, everyone! Time for me to head out!

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014

You’re not alone.

Gryphon and one of his new buddies went after a good fellow and police officer the other day who goes by NC Cop.NC Cop made some great points but Gryphon and the other poster went 110% as.shole on him. Total respect lost. NC Cop said he would not be back. That IS a loss.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM

The main reason is the definition of ‘all-out war’, post 8-6-45.

Once you get past Hiroshima, and especially after the Soviets acquired (i.e., stole) their own nuclear technology, every conflict the U.S. has fought since then has been with one hand tied behind it’s back, and the other nations and terrorist organizations have figured that out (the other hand only is freed — possibly — if another nation/terrorist group uses nuclear weapons first, and I wouldn’t even bet on that under Obama, unless they targeted a key Blue State region and vaporized a few hundred high-dollar Democratic Party donors).

jon1979 on February 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Ohh. You’ve never come right out and said it, but gathered from your “superior knowledge” of the military that you served. I’d have thought you would have toughened up a little bit in Basic Training if that were the case. As it is, if you consider “I used to think that history started on the day of my birth too. Then I grew up” to be a rousing personal invective, you ought to feel at least equally insulted by the way you get scammed and played by the Republican Party.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM

BTW her is the oh so offending post by NC Cop:
…………….”Come on, Mary. I’ve been a cop for 19 years and there, unfortunately, will always be stories like these. These officers should absolutely be investigated and fired, prosecuted if need be. There are more good ones than bad ones, it’s just the bad ones, obviously, get more press.

The stories of good cops who do their job don’t make headlines. I’ve been to more officer funerals than I care to remember, why not do a story about them? There’s plenty of them, believe me.

I stopped going to Gateway Pundit because of the anti-police stories they printed with far too many comments about shooting cops. The left accuses us of being tools of oppression against minorities and the poor. The right accuses us of being tools of oppression against them.

I’m not defending what these officers did, they sicken me, but please remember those who serve their communities with honor and let’s not forget the over 16,000 who died doing so. Most cops are conservatives, which is why I love this site so much.

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM”

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM

The main reason is the definition of ‘all-out war’, post 8-6-45.

jon1979 on February 23, 2014 at 9:04 AM

I have said before, and it bears repeating:

With the ordnance carried on ONE Ohio-class submarine, we should fear no one. Whether such force should be brought to bear is a matter for others outside of this particular forum to decide. But we have the strongest military, the best weaponry, and the most advanced training of any military force in history. We should at least start behaving like it.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:07 AM

Oh, Murph. Coming from you, that hurts.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I wasn’t referring to you. I’m not responsible for your narcissism either :(

Murphy9 on February 23, 2014 at 9:08 AM

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM

I’m not actually sure what you were trying to tell me there. Honest request, could you reword your comment or question?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Just 12 WTF Charts…

workingclass artist on February 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Uh, I’m sorry about that. When you can barely read what you yourself wrote, it definitely needs work.

I’m keeping the personal invective here to a minimum. If you find me insulting, I hope you’re at least as upset at the Republican Party that plays and scams you.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:11 AM

shame on you.

renalin on February 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM

IIRC, Governor Romney even said Obama “means well” during one of the debates. And you’re correct, the gilled-one never said one thing about it.

Flora Duh on February 23, 2014 at 9:12 AM

Bmore on February 23, 2014 at 8:36 AM

What is your obsession with Palin? She has been gone for 6 years. You sound more obsessed with her than Alex Jones on Piers Morgan. Let’s face it, the Neostatist Oligarchy in DC hates Cruz because he is the only voice in the wilderness talking about positions the Geriatric Old Progressives claim to support

Brock Robamney on February 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM

..Geriatric Old Progressives…

Brock Robamney on February 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I’m stealing that!

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:17 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 9:09 AM

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Well, I’m thinking that first sentence might have been something along the lines of you admonishing me for having been in the military during the war. But it was hard to read so I asked. Not important I suppose.

What exactly are you looking for? You want me to address your comment about with more specificity in reference to how you would have prosecuted that war?

Do you think it too costly, how we did it?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM

What is up with him? Hope he isn’t one who likes to get hosannas from liberals.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:21 AM

Nugent was on the stump for Abbott in Tx.

Abbott was taking some heat in the local and national media about Nugent’s comments.

It’ll blow over…but that’s what it was about.

workingclass artist on February 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Do you think it too costly, how we did it?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 9:18 AM

No no no. Not admonishing you for being in the military. I have a brother who’s in the Navy, though I don’t think he’s ever been in a hot zone. I was just razzing you for finding me insulting after you’d been under the thumb of a drill instructor.

Bush was constrained by world opinion and a distaste for collateral damage. I do believe this needlessly cost American lives. I guess that’s a difference of opinion you and I may never get past, but that is genuinely how I feel.

That being said, I think Bush’s worst failings by far were domestic policy-oriented, like signing the TSA into existence. No Child Left Behind (which Teddy Kennedy was invited to the White House to help author). Medicare Part D. I really don’t rage against his prosecution of the war on Al Qaeda, but calling it a “war on terror” was again capitulating to world opinion as outlined by his progressive GOP advisers. He could have done better in that regard, as well.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM

plutorocks on February 23, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Any distraction from the twin fails of Abortion Barbie Davis and Dewhurst calling for immediate investigation into Battle Ground Texas.

workingclass artist on February 23, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Nugent!!!!!!!that’s a tgrg can talk about

cmsinaz on February 23, 2014 at 9:32 AM

I miss W. Big diff between W & president 4 putt: W loved his country.

bernzright777 on February 23, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Things are gonna get interesting…

“Drillers may soon cross the U.S. border and begin hydraulic fracturing on Mexican soil. The main issues standing in their way at this point are some of the most dangerous, violent criminals in the world.
It will be up to the Mexican government, perhaps with the help of U.S. and Canadian oil companies, to neutralize the Zetas and Gulf Cartels. Both are savage gangs notorious for drug and gun running. Their turf is partly on Mexico’s shale patch, a place where U.S. drillers have traditionally been reluctant to travel due to abundant violence, murder, and oil theft by the gangs.

Montserrat Ramiro of the Mexican Institute for Competitiveness said that the cartels are “very violent… You have to be vigilant of your employees so they don’t get kidnapped. If you don’t have a beefed-up security strategy, you can be extorted.”

In an effort to join the energy boom, Mexican President Peña Nieto recently reversed Mexico’s ban on private oil and gas drilling, which was previously in place for seven decades. The potential to boost both the American and Mexican economy is significant since Mexico is estimated to have 42 billion barrels of oil…”

workingclass artist on February 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM

I’ve never been under the thumb of a Drill Instructor.

Then your original opinion as to how the war should have been waged makes even less sense.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:26 AM

You originally asserted his failing in prosecuting the war. How about we stick with that for the time being?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM

My collie says:

Miss W? That’s nothing! H*ll, I miss Benedict Arnold. It’s hard to get one’s head wrapped around how far the goal posts can be moved when you’ve got a festering pustule like Barack and a sack of Shiite like Michelle inhabiting 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

CyberCipher on February 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM

shame on you.
renalin on February 23, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Have a nice day, everyone! Time for me to head out!

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM

You get called out on your hypocrisy and you exit stage left. How typical of you.

#WAR

Flora Duh on February 23, 2014 at 9:36 AM

My collie says:

CyberCipher on February 23, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Your collie is very wise, CC. You should see if you can get him a job writing for Townhall or Hotair.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:38 AM

Governor Mike Pence @GovPenceIN
The cure for what ails this country will come more from our nation’s state capitals than it ever will from our nation’s capital. #cnnsotu

Flora Duh on February 23, 2014 at 9:39 AM

More quotes from Breitbart Texas post linked above…

“Consultant Luis Miguel Labardini said, “It will be a game-changer if we are successful in bringing down the successful shale operators from the U.S.”

Sylvia Longmire, Breitbart Texas’ contributing editor and border security expert said, “One of the primary security concerns since President Peña Nieto decided to privatize oil exploration was the exposure of cartel-dominated parts of Mexico to foreign investors and oil exploration crews. Organized crime groups have a long history of tapping into Pemex pipelines to siphon off petroleum and sell it on the black market, and competition is fierce between groups who want to control these lucrative areas.”

“The expansion of international oil exploration would be a boom to both the Mexican government and US energy businesses,” she continued. “But any energy company choosing to explore new opportunities in Mexico needs to keep the cartel piece in mind.”

The states of Tamaulipas, Coahuila and Nuevo Leon, are rich with shale but ridden with gang crime. Louie Palu, an American who closely reported on the Mexican gangs from 2011-2013 said, “Tamaulipas is not in government control. There is not a single business there that in some way does not pay off the organized crime groups.”

*Note to Abbott…after you win…Expand the Texas Rangers*

workingclass artist on February 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM

WTH? You needle me into engaging your comment and then abandon the exchange?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Wayne Dupree ★彡 ‏@WayneDupreeShow
So Wait, Nugent destroyed for calling Obama a Mongrel; Obama called Blacks Mongrels – Crickets?: http://ln.is/youtu.be/cpJWY via @YouTube

Flora Duh on February 23, 2014 at 9:53 AM

WTH? You needle me into engaging your comment and then abandon the exchange?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 9:48 AM

I didn’t! I posted upthread! Did you miss it?

Whoops…sorry. I missed your response.

Bush’s failure in prosecuting the war on terror Al Qaeda was that he didn’t go far enough. We should have done what we needed to do and had our men and women home before he left office in 2008.

PROTIP: If you’re prosecuting a war against anyone or anything, and you reduce collateral damage at the expense of casualties in your own army, you’re doing it wrong.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Okay, to your original comments above.

You wanted to carpet bomb Afghanistan after flying in the Afghani airspace for 72 hours dropping leaflets.

Let’s start with your leaflet mission. Unless you were attacking their air defense artillery and SAM sites during this portion of the operation, you would be pretty well opening your Air Force to an unnecessary risk and ultimately telegraphing your ultimate targets to them. I wish you could explain why you think that would pass any commander’s risk management process. If you use fighters or bombers to attack the ADA and SAM positions while you’re conducting these air operations, you’ve effectively attacked them without allowing the civilians your leaflets were supposed to protect, to evacuate.

Let’s continue with Carpet bombing. Carpet bombing or saturation bombing is mostly effective for large cities or large wide concentrations of armed forces out in the open like the Iraqi entrenchments and amores vehicle units during Desert Storm. B52s were very effective against those targets because … ta-da … they were there. No such target existed in Afghanistan. Why would you “Carpet Bomb” a very small concentration of personnel and equipment in an area the size of a compound? Precision guided munitions were used and much more effective against the smaller targets.

Unless you were specifically saying you wanted to warn the civilians to get out of the way without really allowing them any actually ability to do that, your advised actions make zero sense. Unless you planned to punish the civilian populace or just plain waste money dropping unguided bombs on empty desert?

Do you want me to address your other points?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM

workingclass artist on February 23, 2014 at 9:40 AM

Andrew Wilcow talked about this on his Sirius/XM show just before the new law went into effect on Jan. 1. Basically, Pemex doesn’t have the skills to exploit the Mexican portion of Eagle Ford shale play, and needs U.S. help. The problem is the American oil companies have to be be assured that their workers won’t be kidnapped or their oil and equipment won’t be stolen by the cartels, and that the next Mexican government won’t simply renationalize the oilfields once some type of in-nation fracking infrastructure is in place.

On the other hand — the only way you’re going to stop illegal immigration from Mexico to the U.S. is to give them a reason not to go over the border. You can go into the Eagle Ford or Permian Basin oilfields every day and see illegal immigrant workers being hired by subcontractors, due to both the worker shortage and the fact that hiring U.S. workers means paying the going rates of $40,000-$100,000 a year, depending on the level of the job. Develop Eagle Ford in Mexico — even if the jobs over there pay only half as much — and the illegals will stay on their side of the border to get the money.

jon1979 on February 23, 2014 at 10:01 AM

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 9:55 AM

Protip question; because of the manner you stated that. Have you commanded men in battle or been in an elected office at any time to vote on or make a decision about how a war was supposed to be prosecuted? Because saying “PROTIP” is a bit off-putting. As if you think it’s easy to wage war.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Do you want me to address your other points?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM

You’re free to, but I think we’re kind of going off on rabbit trails here now. While your entire post is a little large for me to quote in its entirety, I think it reinforces my point that a “war on terror” is just stupid to begin with. Terror is a tactic used by guerilla warfare adherents. How do you prosecute a war against a tactic?

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM

Do you want me to address your other points?

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 10:00 AM

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM

You’re utterly wrong and afraid to address it point by point as I did because you know so.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 10:03 AM

I’m sorry if it is off-putting. I suppose it’s the FPSer in me. While I have to answer your question with a “no,” I’d like to qualify that. I have a medical condition that renders me inelligible for enlistment in the military, though I am an avid (in the amateur academic sense) scholar of Klausewitz, Sun Tzu, Musashi, and Patton.

I know war’s not easy. But I also know that there are deskbound personnel in The Pentagon who would sell the people in their command up the creek in a heartbeat for political expediency. The whole civilian command thing is a double-edged sword.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Bush was Islams greatest protector and booster. They all miss him for sure.

BL@KBIRD on February 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I’m not afraid of anything someone posts here on a public anonymous blog, Hawk. I’m trying to make sure that each of our points doesn’t stray farther and farther from what I consider the central question: Did George W. Bush cost lives needlessly in the war on terror Al Qaeda? I believe the answer to that question is “yes.” You believe it is “no.” I am a civilian, and therefore I am beneath contempt to you. I get it. I disagree, but I get it.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM

The Sunday Propaganda Show, brought to you by the DNC Press and their partners in the RINO party.

Let’s have a gander:

“Meet the Press” on NBC
• Susan Rice – affirmative action Liberal
Moderated by immoderate liberal

“Face the Nation” on CBS
• Martin O’Malley (D) – Kook Lib and arguably the worst Governor in US
• Bobby Jindal (R) – Conservative!
• Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) – RINO Liberal
Moderated by immoderate Liberal

“This Week” on ABC
• President George W. Bush – wow! Not conservative, but looks like a dream compared to this nitwit in the White House.
• Team Rubicon co-founder Jacob Wood – Not a clue.
Moderated by immoderate Liberal.

“Fox News Sunday” on Fox
• Dick Durbin (D-ILL) – Kook Liberal
• Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) – Elected by Tea Party; turned into RINO.
• Scott Walker (R) – Conservative!
• Peter Shumlin (D) – Socialist
Moderated by an actual journalist

CNN “State of the Union”
• Rick Perry (R) – Conservative!
• Mike Pence (R) – Conservative! (Let me pause here to say – has there Ever been a week with this many actual conservatives?!
• Dannel Malloy (D) – Kook Liberal
• Jay Nixon (D) – Liberal
• “Scandal” actor Joe Morton – Hollywood dope Liberal
Moderated by immoderate Liberal.

“Political Capital” on Bloomberg TV
• Maggie Hassan (D) – Liberal
• John Sununu (R-N.H.) – RINO
• David Plouffe – Gay Liberal
Moderated by immoderate Liberal

“Newsmakers” on C-SPAN
• Interim NAACP President Lorraine Miller – Race-victim Kook Liberal

“Al Punto” on Univision
• Mario Díaz Balart (R-Fla.) – Race-victim RINO
• Greasy Luis Gutiérrez (D-Ill.) – Race-victim Kook Liberal

Interesting lineup. A number of conservative voices, which are rarely represented in any numbers. Liberal domination, as always. Plenty of RINOs to give the DNC Press plausible deniability for their agenda bias.

Enjoy!

Jaibones on February 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Bush has stayed mostly silent when it comes to criticizing Obama. Shame on him.

bluegill on February 23, 2014 at 8:15 AM

Our form of government incorporated the positions of prime minister and head of state for a reason. Think about it this way. Say Biden was electable, even I would not vote for him, do you want President Obama to remain in D.C. and act like a Prime Minister and Biden perform the functions of Head of State.

Bet not and give that concept some thought. All past Presidents should respect the office and remain silent about politics. They can do a lot of good, but should stay out of politics. In a way, conservatives should be glad President Obama picked a doofus for VP and that the Clinton’s can’t stand President Obama and would never share power. If Ms. Clinton runs and wins, would Bill act like a Prime Minister? Something to think about.

HonestLib on February 23, 2014 at 10:17 AM

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Stray? For God’s sake address your original points.

Part of the reason for Bush’s reputation as a good CiC (sic) is because we as a nation don’t have a stomach for real war. We haven’t fought what my grandparents would have considered a real war in 69 years. We just send our men and women overseas to get shot at and blown up in suicide attacks. And yes, W. did so too, though not to the same degree as Obama has.

I don’t judge the success of a CiC (sic) on his body count. I judge the CiC on his ability and willingness to rain maximum death, destruction, and chaos on an enemy until they can no longer fight (h/t ole’ blood ‘n’ guts Patton).

In that regard, Bush has been weighed and found severely lacking.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 8:41 AM

It’s obvious we are at least lucky yours was not the road to war plan we used.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Brock Robamney on February 23, 2014 at 9:16 AM

You are ignorant of the gilled ones HA history, so I will give you a pass. Know your HA history would be my advice to you stranger. Or you are welcome to challenge me. You won’t enjoy the ride.

Bmore on February 23, 2014 at 10:21 AM

It’s obvious we are at least lucky yours was not the road to war plan we used.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Bush’s prosecution of the war on terror al qaeda is the scenario that made Obama’s RoE change possible. But whatevs.

gryphon202 on February 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Jaibones on February 23, 2014 at 10:16 AM

As always, nicely done. Thank you! ; )

Bmore on February 23, 2014 at 10:22 AM

No, I dont miss big government DHS Bush !

TX-96 on February 23, 2014 at 8:06 AM

I don’t miss his big government ways at all. I do miss his class and honesty. This sickening administration makes Bush look like Calvin Coolidge.

Jaibones on February 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM