NFL considers 15 yard penalty for use of racial slurs

posted at 5:01 pm on February 23, 2014 by Jazz Shaw

Is this an important addition to the proper running of NFL games or another layer of political correctness spreading everywhere? According to ESPN, the NFL is getting ready to impose an in game penalty on teams when a player uses a racial epithet during a play.

The head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, which monitors diversity in the NFL, expects the league to institute a rule where players would be penalized 15 yards for using the N-word on the field.

John Wooten, the head of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, anticipates that the NFL’s competition committee will enact the rule at the owners’ meeting next month.

Newsome also said the committee talked about other slurs coming under any possible new rule, including homophobic slurs.

Wooten, who previously has urged all players to stop using the N-word, thinks the NFL will rule an automatic 15-yard penalty for first-time offenders and an ejection for second infractions.

One assumes that this penalty will also apply to slurs regarding Jews, Muslims, gays, Native Americans and left handed players as well. But does this type of behavior really fall under what would be considered the rules of the game? I don’t think so. I can see ejecting someone from the game, and certainly the team’s owners should be able to fine – or even suspend – players for actions which they feel besmirch the team. But a fifteen yard penalty in the middle of a drive? How does unacceptable, racist speech relate to the game structure which governs the actions of the players? This seems completely out of step with the entire concept of the rules committee.

Further, what about players who use the term regarding their own friends and teammates in a way not intended to insult them? I’m not saying I approve of it personally, but the fact of the matter is that we do hear some black celebrities in sports, music or movies using the term in a casual way about each other. Will they have their TD drive shut down at midfield if they are not intentionally hurling racial invectives, but just saying something to their buddy that they would say in the locker room anyway? This looks very much like the rules committee meddling in an area where they don’t belong, potentially opening up a can of worms in terms of unintended consequences.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

“Mommy! He hurted my widdle feewings!”

itsnotaboutme on February 23, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Put flags on the players and tape their mouths shut. Leftist

D-fusit on February 23, 2014 at 5:04 PM

If you can’t stand the heat, get off the gridiron.

davidk on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Well it’s a private business, they can do whatever they want.

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Is calling someone a “teabagger” a considered a slur or is it simply considered an act of free speech that parrots the POTUS?

ShainS on February 23, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Can they still call a slant pass?

crash72 on February 23, 2014 at 5:08 PM

No penalty for slurring Albanian dwarf amputees?

Das raciss, man.

Adjoran on February 23, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Well it’s a private business, they can do whatever they want.

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Except refuse to make a wedding cake.

DisneyFan on February 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM

As I’ve said before, the further entrenched progressive idiocy and ideology becomes in sports, and it’s getting pretty entrenched, the less interested I am in giving them my time and money.

Enough is enough.

Well it’s a private business, they can do whatever they want.

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Hahahaha! I’m sure you feel the same way regarding Christian wedding photographers and bakeries, right? RIGHT? :facepalm:

xNavigator on February 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Well it’s a private business, they can do whatever they want.

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Once again …so simplistic.Again, thank you for proving me right. (Seriously, you should be embarrassed.)

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Well it’s a private business, they can do whatever they want.

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Except refuse to make a wedding cake.

DisneyFan on February 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Heh.

davidk on February 23, 2014 at 5:10 PM

I have been delayed….

My point was, the first minority NFL that says “N…g…a…hhhh” and says that is just street language, will be let off the hook.

But let’s see if someone gets nailed for “cracker”…

right2bright on February 23, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Well it’s a private business, they can do whatever they want.

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

They can, and we can comment, since we are the customers, and that is who they are catering too.

So what is your post about???

right2bright on February 23, 2014 at 5:11 PM

lieberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 P

M

xNavigator on February 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Good point. Hilarious.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM

xNavigator on February 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM

I’m not sure why you are making this comparison…apples and oranges

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM

I’m not sure why you are making this comparison…apples and oranges

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Are you really this stupid?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM

If a receiver isn’t getting any passes can he tell the quarterback to stop being niggardly with the football?

Mark1971 on February 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Isn’t there already a penalty for unsportsman like conduct? Like ejection?! Must we now have specific hate speech rules in sports games too?

How about sexual slurs is that worth a 20 point penalty because that’s worse than a racial slur?

Is it a penalty if two black men high five each other after a touchdown and say “My N*****!” as a term of endearment or would that only be a penalty if a white guy said it as a term of endearment? Or is only bad when it’s used in an insulting manner? Will the referees be properly educated in racial term usage along with the rest of the rules? Maybe each referee group should include a political minder sociologist to help the refs decide?

My God the whole country has gone stupid.

Skywise on February 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I’m not sure why you are making this comparison…apples and oranges

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Hahahahaha! You progs crack me up.

xNavigator on February 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM

…the rappah’s are gonna be pist!

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Well it’s a private business, they can do whatever they want.

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Tard did you even read your own post??

Jeebus. You make my head hurt…and no not in the way Einstein does.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:14 PM

I’m not sure why you are making this comparison…apples and oranges

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Lulz, a troll that makes non-partisan look like a Mensa candidate.

Surely, this clown can’t be for real??????????

HumpBot Salvation on February 23, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Well it’s a private business, they can do whatever they want.

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Tell that to one of their teams-the Green Bay Packers, a publicly-owned nonprofit corporation since 1923.

F-

Del Dolemonte on February 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I think they should also stop keeping score. After all, children are fans of these teams, and it hurts their self-esteem when their team loses. And all that hitting is so violent!

Perhaps teams could just play on separate halves of the field, so nobody gets hurt hitting anyone, and every game ends up tied?

/s

xNavigator on February 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM

My God the whole country has gone stupid.

Skywise on February 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM

The whole post is great. Someone on ESPN wondered if they would be able to announce the Redskins now. (I think he was being funny )

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Really? N!ggardly now sets off the filters…?

JohnGalt23 on February 23, 2014 at 5:19 PM

What’s wrong with fining the individual player? Why punish the entire team for one loud mouth? I don’t follow football, but it seems the NFL has been taken over by leftist pansies. I couldn’t believe it when I read about that pink stuff they did.

DisneyFan on February 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Well it’s a private business, they can do whatever they want.

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

F-

Del Dolemonte on February 23, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I bet our dimwit also doesn’t realize the NFL has an antitrust exemption from the government of the USA.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM

“The NFL is too n!ggardly a league to forego the revenues that they will lose because of this.”

Now, if I had said that in a stadium with 80000 screaming fans, I’d likely suffer a 15 yard penalty…

JohnGalt23 on February 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM

This is pretty stupid.

We know this sort of thing happens a couple dozen times in each game.

How much controversy is there over it? Zero, because it’s kept on the field and we don’t hear about it.

However, if you start throwing flags then you’re going to draw major attention to it. You’re just feeding a previous non-issue to the sappy Hot Take factory that passes for sports media today.

I think I might have read two columns in the last five years on the use of racial slurs. That would probably jump to eight columns a week once the refs have to start narc’ing them out. Good job, NFL. You’ve really helped your image problem.

HitNRun on February 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM

There is something terribly funny about giant men inflicting physical contact on each other but getting all weepy about words. Stick and stones, people, sticks and stones. I guess we have that big wuss from Miami to thank for this?

Cindy Munford on February 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM

So is this going to apply to both white and black players equally?

ladyingray on February 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM

…do any of the refs have hearing problems?…will they ‘mic’ all the players?

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM

HitNRun on February 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM

Good post as well. You guys make liebral rules look like a victim of severe head trauma.

My guess: The N word is used on the field very rarely by white players….so this could be interesting.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM

it seems the NFL has been taken over by leftist pansies.

DisneyFan on February 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM

This.

Oh, and by fear of ambulance-chasing lawyers, a prime constituency of the Dems.

xNavigator on February 23, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Billy Jeff’s signature achievement is moving right along:

Hate crimes lead to :
Speech crimes which lead to :

Next up … Privilege and thought crimes.

Ruckus_Tom on February 23, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Is this a way for the NFL to punish anyone who says “Redskins” out loud?

Rusty Nail on February 23, 2014 at 5:27 PM

This is a foolish idea, and one that would be almost impossible to enforce consistently

Dr.B on February 23, 2014 at 5:28 PM

Now this is interesting! Do you really think there are a bunch of white guys running around in the field say n****r? No there are a bunch of black guys running around on the field calling each other n****r. Will racial slurs against blacks be the only slurs enforced, and will they be enforced only against whites, or also against blacks using the word. Is this a reaction to the “urbanization” of professional teams, otherwise known as the nappy headed ho syndrome? There are clowns upon clowns waiting to pile out of this little car.

DFCtomm on February 23, 2014 at 5:30 PM

So is this going to apply to both white and black players equally?

ladyingray on February 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM

I believe so. I think the league realizes the biggest users of the N word in the league are not white.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:31 PM

leftist pansies.

DisneyFan on February 23, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Redundancy alert.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM

HitNRun on February 23, 2014 at 5:21 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:23 PM

25 or so years ago, I managed to score a sideline press pass for a game here in New England at the old “Schaefer” Stadium, and as such I was right down by the benches (I spent one half of the game behind the Patriots’ bench, the other half on the other side of the field.) I was also there for the pre-game warmups, so got to hear all of the trash talking.

During the entire time I was on the stadium sidelines, I heard the “N” word exactly…0 times.

Del Dolemonte on February 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Speaking of the wussification of America. I saw this commercial last night and literally laughed out loud. And immediately knew that liberals would have a problem with it.

Here it is and check out the first comment

The Notorious G.O.P on February 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM

But a fifteen yard penalty in the middle of a drive?

It’s very very important for the Left that this is discussed during each occurrence in every game so they can enforce their speech rules.

Germany 1938 here we are folks.

faraway on February 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM

The chairman of the Fritz Pollard Alliance, a group that monitors racial diversity in the NFL, believes the league will soon enact a rule that will penalize a player 15 yards for using the n-word on the field during a game.
……….

The Alliance came to the defense of umpire Roy Ellison in November after Washington Redskins offensive tackle Trent Williams was accused of using the n-word toward the official during a game. Ellison was suspended by the NFL for profane language directed at Williams. The n-word was also prominent in the Wells report on the Miami Dolphins’ workplace culture.

Williams is black.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM

What you crackers gonna do ’bout it?

tim c on February 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM

This will be a whites only penalty, of course.

pat on February 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Trash talk is supposed to be a big part of Richard Sherman’s game.
Did anyone else read that piece before the Super Bowl in which they interviewed several of the players who trash talk the most. Then it was a boys will be boys kinda thing. Now, not so much? What does a flanker or tight end do, if Richard saunters up before the snap and calls him a naughty name? Run to the referee and tattle? Heh. I’m looking forward to watching this go into effect. Should be entertaining.

butch on February 23, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Any players from Niger?

crash72 on February 23, 2014 at 5:38 PM

How about if it is between two consenting adults?

STL_Vet on February 23, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Here it is and check out the first comment

The Notorious G.O.P on February 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM

First time I saw that ad I literally laughed out loud for a good bit.

Jazz Shaw on February 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM

This will be a whites only penalty, of course.

pat on February 23, 2014 at 5:36 PM

See my last post. Some of the motivation for this madness came about because of a black player’s use of the word.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM

For those asking, yes… while “niggardly” has nothing to do with racism, (meaning a miser or stingy attitude) it sets off the filters.

Jazz Shaw on February 23, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Will the Redskins be given a 15-yard penalty just for having that name?

Bigfoot on February 23, 2014 at 5:41 PM

I will never watch another NFL game.

faraway on February 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Germany 1938 here we are folks.

faraway on February 23, 2014 at 5:32 PM

The Bill of Rights is about stopping the government from taking our individual rights away; as an individual I can take those rights away and for example…..as a business owner I can have a rule prohibiting guns in the work place if I apply the rule equally. Of course I would be in violation of my own rule as I carry from time to time.

Same with the NFL and the use of the N-word and if that is what they want to do, I don’t care. Now, the business owner selling a product to the public can decide not to sell any wedding cakes because he does not want to sell to gays, but he can’t decide to sell to straights only. Laws are laws and we should respect them. Notice I did not say follow them all the time as I don’t!

I will add that the PC bunch has gotten out of control and needs to be stopped as they want to pressure those they don’t like to submit to their wishes. Being a bigot is not against the law as long as they do not violate the law. If a person does not like Irish folks and ONE of those people move in next door….he is free to fly an Erin go Brah flag upside down. If someone tried to make him take down the flag, I would not support that as being offended is not protected by law or under the Constitution. BTW, I am Irish. What happened to sticks and stones……..?

HonestLib on February 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Mark1971 on February 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM

THREAD WINNER!!

Khun Joe on February 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM

The offensive line will no longer be allowed on the field

faraway on February 23, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Dialogue from the movie MASH (1970):

Cpl. Judson: Bastard, 88, called me a coon.

Spearchucker: Called you a what?

Cpl. Judson: Coon.

Spearchucker: OK, that’s an old pro trick, to get you thrown out of the ball game.

Cpl. Judson: Well…

Spearchucker: Why don’t you do the same thing to him?

Cpl. Judson: What, call him a coon?

Bruno Strozek on February 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Speech police in the NFL… SUCKS.

Totalitarianism on the march.

petefrt on February 23, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Hey librules, dja go back to mom’s basement in shame?

bernzright777 on February 23, 2014 at 5:47 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM

…not to worry!…when all the fines and ejections involve almost all black players…Sharpton…Jackson…and the race chaser’s…will declare the penalty racist and start protesting !

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Go Redskins.

Ronnie on February 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Isn’t there already a penalty for unsportsman like conduct?

Skywise on February 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM

This.

Stoic Patriot on February 23, 2014 at 5:49 PM

HonestLib on February 23, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Oh that choice thing.

I have to ask: Do you not care ever when a business does something or do you not care as long as it doesn’t violate the US Constitution?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM

The first time they do, I will stop watching the NFL. If enough people do that they will let the players play the game.

Zelsdorf Ragshaft on February 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM

What you crackers gonna do ’bout it?

tim c on February 23, 2014 at 5:35 PM

LMAO!

bernzright777 on February 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Interesting. Usually speech policies aren’t enforced equally, so it would be refreshing if this turned out to be an exception.

DisneyFan on February 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM

What if someone calls someone a Boil-dripping, beef, fart-sniffing bubble butt!

Is that homophobic? Maybe they will have replays for this. Then we can all call in on special hotlines to vote.

faraway on February 23, 2014 at 5:53 PM

ahhhhh….. more obsession over trivial identity-based sleights. Bwahahahahahaha……..I have no problem with blacks or gays. I find gays generally interesting and have more than my fair share of blacks friends. That said, I also have friends who are racists and others who are homophobes, and I have no intention of ending my relationships with them, nor will I attempt to change what I view as their silly perspectives. In other words, I do not believe that I have any responsibility to become an unpaid public relations agent for the gay or black community.

Here’s a list of the people I avoid. Dumb People, People with tattoos all over their body, Loud obnoxious people, Toothless hookers.

Of course now I’ll add the NFL ……..Buh Bye season tickets… I’m done.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on February 23, 2014 at 5:54 PM

Ya know, when a black person calls a white person a cracker they are more or less insulting themselves. They would realize that if they knew what the term represents.

The Notorious G.O.P on February 23, 2014 at 5:55 PM

Hey librules, dja go back to mom’s basement in shame?

bernzright777 on February 23, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Yeh. Wondered the same . Haaahahahaha.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:55 PM

This is going to be pretty interesting and hilarious.

Punchenko on February 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM

And to think they pay Goodell 30 million a year to ruin the game.

tim c on February 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM

My God the whole country has gone stupid.

Skywise on February 23, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Nicely stated.

GaltBlvnAtty on February 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM

What a good way to motivate players to accept homosexual players. /s

katiejane on February 23, 2014 at 6:03 PM

What happens when one of the ghey players calls a player on another team a ‘breeder’?

slickwillie2001 on February 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

What if you said something to another player like, “Yo mamma’s a nappy-headed ho.” Would that count? Technically it wasn’t directed at the player, but at the player’s mother, who presumably would not be part of the game.

WhatSlushfund on February 23, 2014 at 6:04 PM

The only upside may be…perhaps…this will open people’s eyes about The Left and who really wants to control their lives.

SouthernGent on February 23, 2014 at 6:06 PM

And to think they pay Goodell 30 million a year to ruin the game.

tim c on February 23, 2014 at 6:01 PM

Actually, he made $44.2 million in the 2012-2013 season.

We know his salary because the NFL is tax-exempt.

Del Dolemonte on February 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

This is ridiculous . . . we’re turning a great athletic event into a political side show. Enough, spare us and simply cancel football, then there’ll be no more politics and we can find some entertainment without government intervention.

rplat on February 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Well this is certainly a queer development.

William Eaton on February 23, 2014 at 6:11 PM

Go Redskins.

Ronnie on February 23, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Fifteen yards and loss of down.

davidk on February 23, 2014 at 6:13 PM

Redskins fight song…

Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!
Run or pass and score — we want a lot more!
Beat ‘em, Swamp ‘em,
Touchdown! — Let the points soar!
Fight on, fight on ‘Til you have won
Sons of Wash-ing-ton. Rah!, Rah!, Rah!
Hail to the Redskins!
Hail Victory!
Braves on the Warpath!
Fight for old D.C.!

Well there is about 30 yards of penalties everytime they play that song after a TD.

William Eaton on February 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Well it’s a private business, they can do whatever they want.

liberalrules on February 23, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Nothing gets past you, does it?

RadClown on February 23, 2014 at 6:17 PM

Duck Dynasty to sponsor Duck Commander Independence Bowl

The Duck Dynasty folks are branching out into college football signing a six-year deal for the naming rights to the Independence Bowl, it will be called the Duck Commander Independence Bowl.

Yeehaaaa!

petefrt on February 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Oh that choice thing.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 23, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Dude, give it up. I have been here two weeks and you are becoming an internet stalker. For reasons I can understand, you and me ain’t sharing a Turkish bath together. Move on as I ain’t worth the time. Learn to ignore those you don’t like. BTW, I have no problem with you and have no need to poke you in the eye…so to speak. Again, move on and learn to accept noobs.

HonestLib on February 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM

… the NFL is tax-exempt.

Del Dolemonte on February 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM

Not only should the government not tax the NFL, it should not tax any association or corporation. That government shouldn’t forcibly seize wealth from anyone is a broader issue for another day. Of concern here is the double taxation involved in corporate taxes. When corporations are taxed, the net income of those corporations is thereby taxed twice: first, on the part of the corporation, and second on the part of the employees and directors, whose salaries are taxed separately.

The NFL should not be stripped of its tax-exempt status; rather, all associations and corporations should be extended such status, and government spending should be cut to accommodate the act of justice.

davidk on February 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Liberals are trying to destroy all things uniquely American. They are succeeding with all levels of football, from Pop Warner to NFL. Baseball is next. Falling down, injuries, and hits by the ball and crashes into the wall cause Lou Gierig’s disease. Next up hockey. It never ends.

simkeith on February 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

HonestLib on February 23, 2014 at 6:18 PM

…CW…this one is not like liberaLoser !

KOOLAID2 on February 23, 2014 at 6:23 PM

20 yards for insulting/making derogatory comments about someone’s mother or sister.

talkingpoints on February 23, 2014 at 6:24 PM

This is an issue that has never been addressed. Most of the incidents happen in th locker room. So, if a black athlete calls another black athlete the n word, will there be a penalty? I can see it being very lopsided towards gays and blacks.
Does anyone think this “new law” doesn’t relate to “the openly first gay player in the league”?

djaymick on February 23, 2014 at 6:28 PM

simkeith on February 23, 2014 at 6:20 PM

Yes, it’s helpful to keep in mind the bigger picture, Cultural Marxism.

The Illusionist: How Herbert Marcuse Convinced a Generation that Censorship Is Tolerance & Other Politically Correct Tricks

petefrt on February 23, 2014 at 6:30 PM

I miss the old days when you could just call a spade a spade.

lostmotherland on February 23, 2014 at 6:31 PM

What about when 2 or blacks get together? Then it’s “N****” this, “N****” that … “N****” is the word most often out of their mouths. OK for them to use it; racist for whites to use it. A perfect example of who is really racist here. What about that?

majorzot on February 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Liberals are trying to destroy all things uniquely American.

After all, nothing quite says “American” like n*gg*r.

lostmotherland on February 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Which head coach will consider hiring a ventriloquist to get an edge in a game?

meci on February 23, 2014 at 6:35 PM

After all, nothing quite says “American” like n*gg*r.

lostmotherland on February 23, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Or redneck, white trash and cracker.

hawkdriver on February 23, 2014 at 6:36 PM