Rick Perry 2016?

posted at 2:41 pm on February 20, 2014 by Allahpundit

Of all the electoral maneuvers lately — Huckabee heading to Iowa, Santorum huddling with advisors, Allen West refusing to rule anything out, and even Joe Scarborough visiting New Hampshire — this is the most interesting.

Is there room for Perry this time, though?

Perry, a potential 2016 presidential candidate, will be in Des Moines and Davenport on Feb. 27 and Feb. 28.

He will be sitting down with business leaders to discuss a wide range of issues, according to Bob Haus, an adviser in the state.

He also will be taping an episode of “Iowa Press,” Iowa Public Television’s weekly public affairs program, Haus said.

Perry intends to discuss his efforts with Americans for Economic Freedom, a group he formed last year that is aimed at promoting state policies that lead to economic expansion and job creation.

He jumped in last time because the field sorely needed a credible conservative alternative to Romney. Didn’t work out. He might jump in this time because the field sorely needs a credible conservative alternative to … Rand Paul? Ted Cruz? Rubio? At least one of those guys is definitely running, and maybe more than one. If none of them are sufficiently socially conservative for you, Santorum and maybe even Huckabee will probably end up running too. The argument for Perry, I suppose, is that he’s the only one potential tea-party champion with executive experience, but I can’t believe that’ll put him over the top when it didn’t help him last time. (Yeah, Romney had a few years of experience as a governor too but he ran on his business record, not his stewardship of Massachusetts.) Besides, Paul, Rubio, and Cruz have all been in the thick of major policy debates over the past year. If you’re looking for a candidate to vindicate your principles, why look past those three to a guy who’s retiring as governor after flaming out in 2012?

Maybe he’s banking on the Republican “next in line” effect to propel him. In theory, as the 2012 runner-up, Santorum’s the “next in line,” but no one seriously thinks he’s going to be the nominee. Paul Ryan would become “next in line” if he runs, but most people think he won’t. Perry could be calculating that he’s well positioned to fill that vacuum; he’s the next full-spectrum conservative candidate in line, at least. And there is, I guess, a way for him to cobble together a coalition among righties who are disaffected with their other options. Some may find Rand Paul’s libertarian leanings suspicious, especially on social issues; others may rule out Rubio for carrying too much water on amnesty, even though Perry himself is moderate on immigration. Others may want a social con as nominee but not someone whose chief political identity is as a social conservative a la Santorum or Huckabee. If Cruz runs, though, I think he’d cannibalize most of Perry’s support, Perry’s executive pedigree notwithstanding. Which, maybe, explains Perry’s presence in Iowa now. No reason not to keep his options open just in case Cruz decides not to run. Which, I think, is what he’ll end up deciding.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Well Paul and Rubio will have served a full term by the time 2016 comes around.

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Hey, terryannonline, you never answered who was Lt. Governor for Bush…

cptacek on February 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Not Over

Bmore on February 20, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Perry just cleaned Blitzer’s clock on CNN.

wyntre9 on February 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Link?

I always like to see Blitzer’s clock cleaned….He’s an annoying idiot

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Ted Cruz I guess.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Sen. Cruz came out with a more nuanced view of immigration in a general election lol

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Ya know, you’re probably right.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I’d take the most experienced Governor in the US over any senator or congress critter. We need someone with leadership skills and governors have much more leadership ability than a representative. Obama is what happens when a legislator is handed a leadership role…utter failure!

Doomsday on February 20, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Cruz, Paul, or Rubio?

Not one of them has run anything bigger than their Senate office. They haven’t even served a full term in the Senate. They are not remotely qualified. Let them serve a term or two in the Senate, then run for Governor in their home states and prove they can do the job at the state level before asking to be trusted to run the largest operation in the world, the US government.

It takes more than making speeches to be President. Have we learned NOTHING from Obama?

We have a strong bench of experienced leaders. Perry, Walker, Jindal, Daniels, Martinez. Kasich isn’t exactly the darling of the base right now, and Mike Pence and Nikki Haley are still future picks. That’s off the top of my head.

No Senators. They always suck as President. Always.

Adjoran on February 20, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Yeah…I know it’s old fashioned but executive experience counts.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Rick Perry is going to Iowa..Very interesting..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Doomsday on February 20, 2014 at 5:49 PM

It’ll be even worse with Killary

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Rick Perry 2016?

A far better candidate than many others, but he’d still be about my fourth or fifth choice. I have few problems with his politics, but I do worry about him having another oops-moment.

Stoic Patriot on February 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM

but I do worry about him having another oops-moment.

Stoic Patriot on February 20, 2014 at 5:56 PM

I’d take a Rick Perry Ooops moment over any Hillary moment…

Doomsday on February 20, 2014 at 6:00 PM

I’d take a Rick Perry Ooops moment over any Hillary moment…

Doomsday on February 20, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Amen to that..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I hope he has time to meet samclovis.com the true conservative to replace the retiring Democrat US Senator Tom Harkin.

ConcealedKerry on February 20, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I always like to see Blitzer’s clock cleaned….He’s an annoying idiot

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 5:47 PM

I am with you..Good to see Blitzer get beat down as always..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 6:17 PM

IMO, Paul is more Libertarian than Conservative. Cruz probably won’t run for POTUS in 2016 (I like them both). Rubio is badly damaged.

I think Perry will run, and will probably do well. Will he win? Dunno.

I think Pence will run, and would be another good choice.

Palin may even jump in.

In short, it’s only 2014. Midterms are first priority this year. Lots of folks will jump in for 2016 in the next couple years, I’m sure. Guess we’ll see how it all shakes out!

cs89 on February 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I have to admit, I didn’t used to be too thrilled about our Governor. But after he got humbled a little in the TransTexas Corridor fight, he turned out to be a pretty darned good governor.
CableDude on February 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Humbled? You didn’t read the bit about that did you here>>>>>>>http://www.redstate.com/diary/izoneguy/2011/08/14/seventeen-17-things-that-critics-are-saying-about-rick-perry/

Marcus on February 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM

For starters, we’ve spent millions of our own monies when D.C. refused to help….on closing the border.

Here:
“Nearly 796 million of state money, not a dime federal, has been allocated by the State of Texas to plug the holes in our border. This covers things like over-time for Sheriffs’ deputies, equipment, and Texas Rangers SWAT teams [referring to the elite Texas Rangers, an arm of the DPS].”

^^Just a few available links.

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 6:28 PM

I’m all in for Perry.

I don’t think Cruz will run, and I’m suspicious of Paul’s ability to win. I don’t hold his father’s whackjob racism against him, but the media would. Oh, and Rubio is a non-starter, just like Christie.

DRayRaven on February 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM

If Perry can’t garner 300 comments on HotGas, he’s a loser..:)

idesign on February 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM

If Sarah Palin has a 1000 comments thread she’s a winner.

Logic101…for verbaluce.

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Ya know, you’re probably right.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 5:48 PM

I repeat, immigration reform is NOT amnesty.

Schadenfreude on February 20, 2014 at 6:39 PM

I’m all in for Perry.

DRayRaven on February 20, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I doubt Palin will run…She’s enjoying herself and wields a lot of clout doin’ her own thing.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM

If Perry can’t garner 300 comments on HotGas, he’s a loser..:)

idesign on February 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM

217 at this moment, and it’s just…….5:41pm here in Tejas. ;)

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 6:41 PM

You’re new here aren’t you?
workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 5:07 PM

Do you have anything substantive to say or just keep telling me Rick Perry’s idea of immigration reform is to wait for Mexico to turn itself around for the first time in……history?

Dongemaharu on February 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Dongemaharu on February 20, 2014 at 6:55 PM

That is not Perry’s idea of immigration reform…Sheesh!

But go ahead and jump on that GOP bandwagon and pass the reform now….cause liberals demand it or something.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM

cs89 on February 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I agree Perry seems to be doing some looking here..As for Pence he might run also..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 7:01 PM

cs89 on February 20, 2014 at 6:27 PM

I would also add that it would not hurt my feelings if Mitch Daniels gave 2016 a peek..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Perry had his chance and blew it. If Cruz, Lee or Paul don’t run then maybe I’d think about voting for him, and I was a big Perry fan in 2012. Christie, Rubio and establishment go-along-to-get-along types are not on my radar, neither is Huckabee(big government, big spending, social Conservative). America needs a fiscal Conservative and strict Constitutionalist.

searcher on February 20, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Perry is the entire package: military service, 3 term successful governor, conservative on the issues and has the ability to connect with voters in a way others struggle with. Perry/Walker 2016!!

Jack_Burton on February 20, 2014 at 7:32 PM

The country is not ready for a President who thinks the earth is 10,000 years old. Nor will it ever be.

farsighted on February 20, 2014 at 7:32 PM

farsighted on February 20, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Of course the failure known as Obama subscribes to Man Made Global Warming.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Don’t think Mitch 2016 is happening. I think his Purdue contract goes through 2017 or so, and he’s pretty studiously avoiding political stuff while serving as university President.

IMO, he’d have to step down sometime in 2015 from the education gig to jump into a run. If things are going ok @ Purdue, I expect him to stay put.

cs89 on February 20, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Michelle Bachman is wiping the floor with Rick Perry..

SparkPlug on February 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM

cs89 on February 20, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Agreed..Daniels running is mostly just wishcasting on my part..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 7:46 PM

is perry on pain meds for his back again?

why would he go on CNN and not be prepared to go on the offensive.

He hasn’t learned from his botched 2012 campaign.

renalin on February 20, 2014 at 8:02 PM

renalin on February 20, 2014 at 8:02 PM

I don’t know why he does what he does. His campaign last time should not be repeated.

SparkPlug on February 20, 2014 at 8:07 PM

I hope Perry runs. And I hope he learned from his awkward experience in 2012. If he takes time to prepare his positions and build an infrastructure then he will be a powerful package. He has the executive experience, and has a “servant’s heart.”

joecollins on February 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM

is perry on pain meds for his back again?
why would he go on CNN and not be prepared to go on the offensive.
He hasn’t learned from his botched 2012 campaign.

renalin on February 20, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Guess it depends upon the eyes doing the lookin’>>>>>>>>>

Perry just cleaned Blitzer’s clock on CNN.
wyntre9 on February 20, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Perry on the same political level with Reagan?

Uh, No, I don’t think so!

shubalstearns on February 20, 2014 at 4:02 PM

I remember the same thing being said about Reagan before he won. :) He’d been counted out…..twice before (or more?), I believe?

Take note, folks. this isn’t “idolatry”. That’s stuff only “nutballs” do. Eh, pops?

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 4:31 PM

Hey, I like Palin. I defended her for hours and will do so again. But, apparently your “idolatry” stuff is you looking at yourself in the mirror, thinking you’re seeing me. *crazy how projection works*(@_@)

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 8:37 PM

joecollins on February 20, 2014 at 8:24 PM

I’ve heard he is doing just what you’ve said.

And, AMEN! to the last statement.

People who don’t live in Texas have no earthly idea of how fresh an air he brought into the Governorship after Ma Richards and with Texas mostly being run by Democrats prior Perry. There was a time when crime reigned supreme….that was when LBJ was the Texas powerhorse from 1948 forward. People died.

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 8:46 PM

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 8:37 PM

I keep asking for examples of my Palin “idolatry” and haven’t seen any yet. I’ve never said she’s Reagan, and I’ve certainly never said that if she ran she’d win 45 states. Heck, I hardly ever mention her. That’s left to idiots who think they can refute whatever I “say” by shrieking “Palinista!!!111!!!”

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Michelle Bachman is wiping the floor with Rick Perry..

SparkPlug on February 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Well, she lasted about as long the last go- ’round.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:08 PM

SparkPlug on February 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM

In Tardasil Universe?

Kermit on February 20, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Judging by his statements to the National Review today, it looks like Raffy Bin Laden isn’t running for anything… at least as a Republican. When you refuse to endorse your party’s leader for Majority/ Minority Leader, the end is nigh.

BrianJ on February 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:06 PM

That would be too easy..Do you really want me to??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:14 PM

BrianJ on February 20, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Who’s that?

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:06 PM

That would be too easy..Do you really want me to??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Please do. Fire away.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Why should I look it up when you should remember??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Come on, guy. You said it was “too easy”. If it’s so easy, then DO IT.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Why should I look it up when you should remember??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Why should I look it up when you should remember??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Remember what? Show me.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:19 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:18 PM

You know I have already done this to you before..Remember when you said no one at HA posted about Palin’s speech at CPAC??..Do you really want me to do it again??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:19 PM

You can’t remember??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM

Oh, that? That’s idolatry? Surely you can do better than that.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:22 PM

No..That is just an example of me showing you where you said something stupid that was not hard to prove..Do you really want me to do it too you again??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM

.Do you really want me to do it again??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:21 PM

By the way, sure, do it. Let’s see the rank “idolatry” there.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Michelle Bachman is wiping the floor with Rick Perry..

SparkPlug on February 20, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Michelle who?

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Yeah, do it. It wasn’t “stupid”, it was a mistake which I admitted the moment it was made. A mistake, mind you, based on the “freeze out” of most things Palin these days here. That’s not “idolatry”, that’s just fact.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Can we wait a little longer and build up the drama??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:29 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Can we wait a little longer and build up the drama??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:29 PM

However long it takes you, bud. I won’t be holding my breath.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM

I wasn’t trying to prove “idolatry” Just giving you a chance to back away??..It’s is your choice..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:31 PM

C’mon you don’t think I don’t have one do you??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:32 PM

I don’t have a thing to “back away from” as far as my comments on Sarah Palin are concerned. Whatever you’ve got, let’s have it.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Let’s just take our time and “troll” this Rick Perry thread..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

C’mon you don’t think I don’t have one do you??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:33 PM

No, I don’t.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Er, yeah, I do think you don’t have one. If it were true, you’d have been pasting it everywhere by now.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:37 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Let’s just take our time and “troll” this Rick Perry thread..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I just asked for examples of my idolatry, which you said you have but yet you don’t have. You’re the one trolling.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:39 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

This is pretty much idolatry and stupidity rolled into one..But you be the judge..We have a lot of Veterans who post here. You might want to rethink that statement.

Daemonocracy on September 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM
I dunno. Three years of sliming, losing a limb, maybe not that far apart.
ddrintn on September 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Daemonocracy on September 15, 2011 at 5:21 PM
I dunno. Three years of sliming, losing a limb, maybe not that far apart.
ddrintn on September 15, 2011 at 5:23 PM

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:42 PM

That’s not “idolatry”. That’s my own perception. I’d say the same thing about anyone else who’d been dehumanized constantly for nothing other than their political beliefs. And anyone’s free to disagree with me. I’m a veteran as well. Is that it?

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM

^ Including, I might add, George Bush.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I guess that was it. You apparently haven’t yet gotten the storm of indignation on my head that you were expecting, Dire. Later.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:53 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Anyone who is comparing the Palin “slimming” with folks losing limbs in war says all I need to know and gives folks what they need to see..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Well, yeah, I guess it does. Is that all you’ve got?

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I’m thinking, yeah, that’s all you’ve got. Bravo.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:59 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:53 PM

It can be used again..Why are you leaving??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 9:59 PM

Are you sure??..Have you ever heard of Goggle??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM

It can be used again..Why are you leaving??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Use it as often as you want. And why stick around? Three hundred comments asking for examples of my “idolatry”, with you implying you have them and you really don’t? I have better things to do.

Are you sure??..Have you ever heard of Goggle??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Yeah, I have. Use it.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM

You wanted an example so I provided it..I gave you chances to back off..Too bad you tried the “bully” route..It does not always work..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 10:11 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Sorry if I hurt your feelings..I will try to do better in the future..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 10:30 PM

No way, Jose.

AshleyTKing on February 20, 2014 at 10:42 PM

You didn’t hurt MY feelings, you didn’t produce any examples, and you think that by shouting. Palin. you can bully someone into silence. You’re the bully. Better luck next time.

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM

LoLz..Open to interpretation..I’m good with that..:):)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 11:17 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Who is shouting??..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 11:20 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM

I think I did..Comparing folks losing limbs to someone being “talked bad” about..:(

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 11:39 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM
I think I did provide a great example..Comparing folks losing limbs in war to someone being “talked bad” about..:(

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Sorry..Fixed..:)

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 11:41 PM

ddrintn on February 20, 2014 at 10:51 PM

Enjoyed the debate..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 12:44 AM

not going to happen, next.

uatu1878 on February 21, 2014 at 12:59 AM

uatu1878 on February 21, 2014 at 12:59 AM

You may have a point..We will see..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 1:01 AM

Perry 2016? Oh, I hope so.

Look, during the last few years of the Obama nightmare, people have been running to Texas as the last bastion of freedom and opportunity in America. And plenty of those who haven’t have at least fantasized a time or two about escaping to Texas. Perry can’t take all the credit for the absolute shining light his state has been through these years of darkness, but he has definitely played a huge role in it–enough of a role that you can’t really separate him from the image of what Texas through the Obama years has come to represent. Perry alone–among governors, senators, whoever–is uniquely positioned to remind people of the bright, not-too-far-distant hopes and dreams that America used to inspire…that Texas still does.

Perry is also a known commodity. He’s not going to get into office and veer left. He’s proven himself through his several years as governor. The senators all make me a little nervous because they lack such a clear history. At one point, Rubio was the darling of conservatives…until a little time and testing brought his shortcomings to light.

Ted Cruz is the only different case. With the heat he’s willingly taken during his short time in office, I doubt he’s the type to betray the Right. He has definitely shown himself thus far to be a man of conviction. The thing is, though–he is desperately needed in the Senate. Desperately. Even if we get the White House in 2016, we cannot leave the Senate without strong voices and a strong vision. He’s also young. Say he wins two terms as president…then what? There will be no going back to Congress or a cabinet position of some sort–those would be a step backward. Same thing with a governorship. Maybe a Supreme Court position–but that gets tricky with the timing of someone stepping down. With a great talent like Cruz, it would be a shame to cut short a brilliant career by pushing him into the presidency too soon. And…blame Rubio and others like him who didn’t turn out to be all we hoped, but I would still like to see Cruz in action just a little longer before I trust him with the country.

Anyway…Perry 2016: Because Texas is now the last, best hope of man on Earth, and America needs that title back.

butterflies and puppies on February 21, 2014 at 1:10 AM

Perry threads the needle between socons and Tea Party cons. He also has real credibility on Federalism and shrinking the role of Washington. Best GOP governor of the past decade. His only strike was not being prepared against the hyper-prepared Romney.

Perry 2016!

Bill C on February 21, 2014 at 2:36 AM

I am all for him running.

I still have the “Rick Perry – President” bumper sticker on my car from his 2012 run. It is the only bumper sticker on my car. :)

Theophile on February 21, 2014 at 3:52 AM

A Governor with experience and a record gets a strong look and has the plus of being an Executive.

And the next Executive needs to clear up the mess of this one and point out that the lack of regularity in the enforcement of the law is a due process problem that they cannot compound… and will ask Congress to clarify the laws in question. For those Agencies that have violated due process, they need an Executive to get an investigation going and to depose the heads of them both appointed and civil, plus put their job performance up for scrutiny by the American People.

Senators and Congresscritters tend not to get this sort of thing.

Doesn’t matter how good they are on the ‘issues’, but requires someone with respect for the law and due process for equal protection of the law for all citizens. If they can’t demonstrate their knowledge and willingness to do that, then the ‘issues’ don’t matter all that much as due process and public scrutiny of our government are prime movers of the Constitution and the reason we have it in the first place.

ajacksonian on February 21, 2014 at 5:42 AM

My only complaint is that Perry is now wearing dopey Austin hipster glasses for some reason. On the upside, once the Republican nominee for president is wearing them, hopefully they will go out of style.

*IF* Perry has improved his debating skills he will mop the floor with the rest of the GOP field. That is a big IF because he was undeniably terrible in 2012. Maybe that’s what the glasses are for? “Hey guys! I have been studying!” He has both executive experience and a conservative track record. Perry was completely dominating in the polls until he screwed up the GOP debates. That is reversible. All he has to do is turn in a few semi-decent debate performances, and he will be back at the front of the pack.

bitsy on February 21, 2014 at 8:09 AM

He’s my governor, but he has RINO tendencies.

If he plans on running again for president, he has a tall hill to climb after his lack luster run in 2012.

Farnsworth on February 21, 2014 at 8:53 AM

Rick Perry 2016?

PappyD61 on February 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM

MITT ROMNEY 2016?

PappyD61 on February 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Paul Ryan
Newt Gingrich
Rick Santorum
Mike Huckabee
John McCain
Rob Portman
Jeb Bush

2016?

PappyD61 on February 21, 2014 at 8:56 AM

Perry campaigns as a conservative, but does not govern as one. The only way I’ll vote for him is if he wins the primary. A lot like Dewhurst and Cornyn. I won’t vote for either in the primaries…

golfer1 on February 21, 2014 at 9:02 AM

Rick Perry 2016?

PappyD61 on February 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM

MITT ROMNEY 2016?

PappyD61 on February 21, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Paul Ryan
Newt Gingrich
Rick Santorum
Mike Huckabee
John McCain
Rob Portman
Jeb Bush

2016?

PappyD61 on February 21, 2014 at 8:56 AM

C’mon Pappy…Tell us how you really feel…

: )

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 9:20 AM

In any case, he will be a useful spoiler in the primaries

entagor on February 21, 2014 at 9:25 AM

Why is the press promoting sequentially a group of rejects.

They are drop shipping people who cannot be elected, to crowd the field so much, that no one will hear any other names

To make other names seem like impossible candidates, they have keep up a barrage of spoilers, to build the image of invincibility

Classic Goebbels technique. Not saying they are as smart as was Joeseph Goebbels. They could be running on fear hormones

If Perry is distasteful enough to those who vote in primaries, he will certainly run

entagor on February 21, 2014 at 9:35 AM

Here’s my problem with Perry.
It’s his clumsy rhetorical skills. Sure, his infamous oops “senior moment” can be chalked up to his back problems affecting his performance. But other things cannot be written off so easily. Like his calling Social Security a “Ponzi scheme.” That might be true, but it’s simply too unrefined or unsubtle for the typical voter. Perry would be a deer in the headlights for the general election. Now Cruz, who may have the same basic view of Social Security, would have the ability to present his words about that in a more attractive way, not to scare people, but to comfort, and inspire even. Go with Cruz.

anotherJoe on February 20, 2014 at 3:49 PM

^^^THIS^^^

I especially agree with the “deer in the headlights” comment. Gov. Perry has been a good Governor, but, let’s all be honest here, he’s just not Presidential material. One of the greatest assets a person has to have to be President–especially in this electronic day and age–is the ability to articulate your thoughts and ideas. I’ve heard Gov. Perry speak on various occasions, and, let’s face it, he’s just not a good communicator. Additionally, one needs to be “quick on your feet” in a debate format, and Gov. Perry has demonstrated that he just doesn’t have that ability.

Bob Davis on February 21, 2014 at 9:46 AM

This can’t be a serious discussion. Rick Perry was poised to run away with the 2012 Republican nomination — and in fact, he made a splashy debut in the polls in August/September 2011 — but he bombed spectacularly on the primary debate stages and killed his chances.

And he kept bombing.

Sorry, folks. He’d be a terrible nominee.

The Bringer on February 21, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Bob Davis on February 21, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I’ve seen him in town halls over the years when he’s campaigned and answered voters questions. That takes thinking quickly on your feet .

The videos were on youtube…maybe they still are.

I say if he wants to run let him or anybody else run.

And we’ll see what happens.

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Why depend on debates to pick your Presidential candidate. Is that a indispensable skill for being President? How about let’s look at someone who has actually done the work of being an executive?

cptacek on February 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM