Rick Perry 2016?

posted at 2:41 pm on February 20, 2014 by Allahpundit

Of all the electoral maneuvers lately — Huckabee heading to Iowa, Santorum huddling with advisors, Allen West refusing to rule anything out, and even Joe Scarborough visiting New Hampshire — this is the most interesting.

Is there room for Perry this time, though?

Perry, a potential 2016 presidential candidate, will be in Des Moines and Davenport on Feb. 27 and Feb. 28.

He will be sitting down with business leaders to discuss a wide range of issues, according to Bob Haus, an adviser in the state.

He also will be taping an episode of “Iowa Press,” Iowa Public Television’s weekly public affairs program, Haus said.

Perry intends to discuss his efforts with Americans for Economic Freedom, a group he formed last year that is aimed at promoting state policies that lead to economic expansion and job creation.

He jumped in last time because the field sorely needed a credible conservative alternative to Romney. Didn’t work out. He might jump in this time because the field sorely needs a credible conservative alternative to … Rand Paul? Ted Cruz? Rubio? At least one of those guys is definitely running, and maybe more than one. If none of them are sufficiently socially conservative for you, Santorum and maybe even Huckabee will probably end up running too. The argument for Perry, I suppose, is that he’s the only one potential tea-party champion with executive experience, but I can’t believe that’ll put him over the top when it didn’t help him last time. (Yeah, Romney had a few years of experience as a governor too but he ran on his business record, not his stewardship of Massachusetts.) Besides, Paul, Rubio, and Cruz have all been in the thick of major policy debates over the past year. If you’re looking for a candidate to vindicate your principles, why look past those three to a guy who’s retiring as governor after flaming out in 2012?

Maybe he’s banking on the Republican “next in line” effect to propel him. In theory, as the 2012 runner-up, Santorum’s the “next in line,” but no one seriously thinks he’s going to be the nominee. Paul Ryan would become “next in line” if he runs, but most people think he won’t. Perry could be calculating that he’s well positioned to fill that vacuum; he’s the next full-spectrum conservative candidate in line, at least. And there is, I guess, a way for him to cobble together a coalition among righties who are disaffected with their other options. Some may find Rand Paul’s libertarian leanings suspicious, especially on social issues; others may rule out Rubio for carrying too much water on amnesty, even though Perry himself is moderate on immigration. Others may want a social con as nominee but not someone whose chief political identity is as a social conservative a la Santorum or Huckabee. If Cruz runs, though, I think he’d cannibalize most of Perry’s support, Perry’s executive pedigree notwithstanding. Which, maybe, explains Perry’s presence in Iowa now. No reason not to keep his options open just in case Cruz decides not to run. Which, I think, is what he’ll end up deciding.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

This will please GG…

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM

The 2016 race will be a bloodbath of the GOP eating itself.

D-fusit on February 20, 2014 at 2:43 PM

OK, let’s get this out of the way early – where can I see his college transcripts?

Galtian on February 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Go Perry! I’d support him in a heartbeat.

lonestar1 on February 20, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I would be honored to vote for Rick Perry in 2016.

Jack_Burton on February 20, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I don’t think Cruz (A Freshman Senator in his first elective office would run if Perry’s running.)

Ever wonder Why Cruz is staying out of the local races?

Yeah.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Better than some alternatives, but I’m not about to “get over” being called “heartless” because I dare to put the children of American citizens before the crotchspawn of illegal invaders.

Jeddite on February 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM

As a Texan, I think we can do far better, but also could do far worse

I’d rather have him over Christie or Jeb or Huckabee, but would rather have Rand Paul or Ted Cruz

tcufrog on February 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM

He might want to think about a crash course in debating before throwing his hat in the ring again.

Bitter Clinger on February 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Galtian on February 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Huffington Post posted them when they were illegally leaked.

juliesa on February 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Under the radar – Mike Pence.

celtic warrior on February 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Love the Rickster. And I’m in the Northeast. And I’ve never lived in Texas. And I hate the Dallas Cowgurls.

birdhurd on February 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM

What’s the matter with these people. Don’t they eralize that if they don’t do something definite right now there won’t be a 2016 electin. Everytime they start talking about 2016 the White House gang must be chuckling evilly.

crankyoldlady on February 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM

As a Texan… no thanks. Not sure whether it’s his catastrophic failure in the debates last time, or…

Generally frustrated that the best either party can seem to put forward is… well, not the best.

Midas on February 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Galtian on February 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

They put them up in 2012. Not outstanding, but not bad.

They still couldn’t find Barry’s, though.

Jeff Weimer on February 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM

What’s the matter with these people. Don’t they realize that if they don’t do something definite right now there won’t be a 2016 election. Everytime they start talking about 2016 the White House gang must be chuckling evilly.

My computer can’t spell today.

crankyoldlady on February 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM

crankyoldlady on February 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

If Cruz runs, he’s going to blow them all away. It’s been awhile since we’ve had a candidate, an actual bonfide candidate, who electrified the base. It will be something to see. But if he doesn’t (and he may surprise us by not), I would think it’s Paul’s to lose. Still, Perry would work for me.

rrpjr on February 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Me too OC

cmsinaz on February 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Perry is certainly in the group of potential candidates I like, along with folks like Walker, Jindal, Paul and Cruz. My vote doesn’t count in the primary, so all I can do is sit back and watch anyway. Nothing I can do will have the slightest effect on who gets the nomination.

juliesa on February 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Bitter Clinger on February 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM

And he might want to excise the word “heartless” from his vocabulary. That sank him for me back then.

Jeff Weimer on February 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

The bigger the GOP field becomes – the better off we are.

Let the Democrats anoint Hillary – we will debate, and vote.

jake-the-goose on February 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Bitter Clinger on February 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Ohhhhh, yeah, he’s going to need a whole lot of work in the speechifyin’ department if he hopes to erase memories of his last time around.

whatcat on February 20, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Yeah, let’s pick our nominee awhile…..

JOE SCARBOROUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHO’S WITH ME??

LET’S GO JOE! LET’S GO JOE!!

ToddPA on February 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

juliesa on February 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Why is that?

Bitter Clinger on February 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I’d like to know what periodicals he reads. It’s of the utmost importance of course, and the wrong answer could disqualify him for higher office — forever.

otlset on February 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Ever wonder Why Cruz is staying out of the local races?

Yeah.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Heh, you mean like Obama?
Cruz has way more experience than Obama did.

After graduating from Princeton, Cruz attended Harvard Law School, graduating magna cum laude in 1995 with a Juris Doctor. While at Harvard Law, Cruz was a primary editor of the Harvard Law Review, and executive editor of the Harvard Journal of Law and Public Policy, and a founding editor of the Harvard Latino Law Review. Referring to Cruz’s time as a student at Harvard Law, Professor Alan Dershowitz said, “Cruz was off-the-charts brilliant.” At Harvard Law, Cruz was a John M. Olin Fellow in Law and Economics.

Between 1999 and 2003, Cruz served as the director of the Office of Policy Planning at the Federal Trade Commission, an Associate Deputy Attorney General at the United States Department of Justice, and as Domestic Policy Advisor to U.S. President George W. Bush on the 2000 Bush-Cheney campaign. In addition, Cruz was an Adjunct Professor of Law at the University of Texas School of Law in Austin, where he taught U.S. Supreme Court litigation, from 2004 to 2009.

He was Solicitor General of Texas from 2003 to May 2008, after being appointed by Texas Attorney General Greg Abbott. He was the first Hispanic Solicitor General in Texas, the youngest Solicitor General in the United States, and the longest-serving Solicitor General in Texas’ history. He was also the first Hispanic, and the first minority to be elected U.S. Senator from Texas.

The Hill, a Washington D.C. newspaper covering Capitol Hill, on December 27, 2013, named Cruz “2013 Person of the Year.” The Hill stated that “Of course, Cruz made his biggest mark when he and fellow freshman Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) led a last-ditch national grassroots effort to defund ObamaCare before the law went into effect fully. Imagine how many Senate Democrats wish right now that they had heeded Cruz’s entreaties and agreed to delaying or defunding it for one year. Now, they are stuck with the law and all its consequences.”

redguy on February 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM

FCC
Ukraine
Syria
Venezuela
obama selling giving away the USA to Mexico
2014, way ahead of 2016

Lots of water and fire until then

Schadenfreude on February 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM

My vote in a heartbeat!

He’d be dogged/vilified by the press (whatz new?)
He’d be hated by the progs (whatz new?)
He’d give the crooks in D.C. a fight for their political lives (That’s whatz new!)

Hello, Ronald Reagan. **__**

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Bitter Clinger on February 20, 2014 at 2:50 PM

He will take the crash course as soon as you take a course on how not to be manipulated by the media…

His “mistakes” were not that big of deal. Anyone who has debated, or watched these things see that all the time…Obama has more stammers in 15 minutes than Perry did in all of the debates. And more wrong answers in that same period of time than Perry did in forgetting one item….sheeesh, you guys are so easy to jerk around.

right2bright on February 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM

Under the radar – Mike Pence.

celtic warrior on February 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM

This!

Mike Pence:

* 10+ years in the U.S. House getting experience on national and international issues

* 4 years (as of 2016) as governor of Indiana getting experience in public sector executive office

So he has both policy experience on national and international issues (the usual knock against governors only) and executive experience (the usual knock against House and Senate members only)

For that matter, Bobby Jindal and John Kasich also have that dual experience.

So far, policywise, Pence is the one I’m looking at most closely.

That is, if Palin doesn’t run.

hrh40 on February 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM

even though Perry himself is moderate on immigration.

Yeah. “Moderate.” That’s what you call it.

Perry is just another amnesty supporter. Legalize the 11-20 million already here in addition to the +20 million more who will come in through chain migration, and then who knows how many more tens of millions flooding in over the next twenty years aiming for the next amnesty.

We have plenty enough cheap labor already. Working Americans are sick and tired of the shortage of jobs and their wages being depressed while the stock market continues rocketing to new all time highs, making the rich still richer off of the disintegration of our culture.

No thanks.

fadetogray on February 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM

redguy on February 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Nice summation, and he was selected by academic standards for Law Review, not voted in.

right2bright on February 20, 2014 at 3:03 PM

If Perry jumps in watch how fast the leftist media regurgitates a rock at Perry’s former hunting camp.

yada yada yada on February 20, 2014 at 3:05 PM

right2bright on February 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM

And, don’t forget the back surgery so many did not know/have forgotten. He thoroughly won the 3rd debate after time had passed and less to no pain pills, but was pushed off the stage by Hannity & Crowd. Wasn’t even mentioned being present by this dumbfluck, much less winning it. I’ve hated Hannity ever since. Romney had already been picked.

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 3:05 PM

redguy on February 20, 2014 at 3:00 PM

I like Cruz…I’m a Texan

He’s my senator.

But he’s smart and I don’t think he’ll run against Perry.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:06 PM

Perry/Palin –2016

Schadenfreude on February 20, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Perry is just another amnesty supporter.

got a link for that?

You’re falling for the progressive media’s lies.

If you lived in Texas you’d know what the in-state tuition is in place. We are overrun by illegals and not able to deport them thanks to ICE. We are mandated to care for them. If we don’t, we get sued.

If you had someone camped in your front yard who you weren’t allowed to vacate, but were required to feed/cloth them, what would YOU do?
Find a way to educate them, get jobs and pay taxes instead of being a tax drain, which is what a bunch of uneducated illegals are doing today. We spent $5M a year to support these folks, Medicaid is broke b/c of them…….what would YOU do?

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Dang, he’s not even on the list

51 – 36 percent over former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush;

50 – 36 percent over U.S. Sen. Marco Rubio of Florida;

51 – 38 percent over U.S. Sen. Rand Paul of Kentucky;

49 – 40 percent over U.S. Rep. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin;

51 – 34 percent over U.S. Sen. Ted Cruz of Texas;

51 – 39 percent over Ohio Gov. John Kasich.

So funny

Schadenfreude on February 20, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Galtian on February 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

They put them up in 2012. Not outstanding, but not bad.

They still couldn’t find Barry’s, though.

Jeff Weimer on February 20, 2014 at 2:52 PM

Anymore, and since Barry’s college days, transcripts don’t mean too much. We know he wasn’t taking medical or science courses that required real results. Really, Barry could have actually attended classes, written papers and take tests and aced ‘em all. The bar on real academic work in many cases had already been set quite low if one had the right connections and was seen as someone who needed to succeed and the pressure was on the institution to make that happen.

Its in one’s accomplishments in the world outside of academia that tells much more about a person, I think.

hawkeye54 on February 20, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Oh good, the headline thread was really long in the tooth.

There hasn’t been a Perry hatefest in a while.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM

Well that settles it.

Perry/Palin –2016

Schadenfreude on February 20, 2014 at 3:07 PM

MontanaMmmm on February 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 3:05 PM

I’ve watched far less Fox since that 2012 primary. I used to have it on all day, but now I just turn it on occasionally if there’s nothing else on.

juliesa on February 20, 2014 at 3:11 PM

This will please GG…

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2014 at 2:42 PM

:D Heck yeah it does!

gophergirl on February 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Just to dispel any other faux news about Perry, here’s a link to educate:

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

the GOP should have a private roshambo (why do it in public) and the winner will face Hillary, which should be the DNC winner for obvious reasons.

phatfawzi on February 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

But he’s smart and I don’t think he’ll run against Perry.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:06 PM

He owes Perry nothing. And Perry ain’t gonna’ run.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Perry/Palin –2016

Schadenfreude on February 20, 2014 at 3:07 PM

…I’ll go for that!

KOOLAID2 on February 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

hrh40 on February 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Pence works for me. I think I even have an old bumper sticker:

I Like Mike

Simple and succinct.

esr1951 on February 20, 2014 at 3:13 PM

juliesa on February 20, 2014 at 3:11 PM

Julie, I only watch Fox Business now (mostly Varney & Co). I don’t want to give any of the creeps on Fox News a hit on the ratings.

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 3:14 PM

But he’s smart and I don’t think he’ll run against Perry.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:06 PM

He owes Perry nothing. And Perry ain’t gonna’ run.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

I didn’t say he owed Perry anything.

I don’t know if Perry will run…But Cruz is a young man.

I’d rather have a governor…a conservative governor.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Perry/Palin –2016

Schadenfreude on February 20, 2014 at 3:07 PM

…I’ll go for that!

KOOLAID2 on February 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

Oh, sure, I would too. Big challenge for ‘em if that were to occur. They’d be battling hard against both political parties establishments, so power to the people if it came to be. Hang the establishments.

It’d be good though. Not likely, but good for the Republic.

hawkeye54 on February 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Oh good, the headline thread was really long in the tooth.

There hasn’t been a Perry hatefest in a while.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:10 PM

HA!

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Me too OC

cmsinaz on February 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Ooops, sorry. I knew that darlin’

OmahaConservative on February 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM

OT:

USA women just lost the Gold to Canada in hockey.

Well, Rywall will be here shortly to gloat…

ToddPA on February 20, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Yada yada yada but we are not allowed to talk about Hillary’s past

cmsinaz on February 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I will strongly support Perry in a heartbeat. As a Texan I have been very pleased with his stewardship of our state. He has been on the “Right Side” of the issues. It’s my opinion that Romney was “the pick” from the beginning in 2012 which is why debate-athon-aggedon was manufactured in hopes (successfully in turned out) that Perry the one true challenger to Mitt would trip up. Notice how quickly the endless debates ceased after Perry withdrew? My understanding is that he has been “training in the off season” and I hope he runs.

I would also gladly support my senator Ted Cruz we are very proud of him. Rand Paul is another I could see getting quite excited about. But I think we all know that Chris “Crispy Cream” Christie is the establishment’s pick. So I suspect we will see the same types of tricks in the next bout of primaries. Endless debates, switched schedules. Crispy Cream center stage with favorable fawning questions. Ect.. Ect… Ect..

iidvbii on February 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Hello, Ronald Reagan. **__**

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I remember Ronald Reagan and Perry is no Reagan. Cruz is, however.

crankyoldlady on February 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Cruz ain’t gonna’ trade a senate seat for the governor’s mansion any time soon.

If the TEA party roars this year instead of meowing, Cruz will run.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I supported Perry last time, and he will certainly get a good look over from me this time.

I’m in favor of governors going on to be Presidents. Executive experience, actually doing something instead of having to wait for Harry Reid to decide to allow them to vote on something that has already been decided, running/decreasing the bureaucracy, etc.

cptacek on February 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM

On paper, he has the best record. But as 2008 and 2012 showed, that doesn’t matter.

nobar on February 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM

HA!

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:16 PM

drintintin is still ranting in that one.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I’d rather have a governor…a conservative governor.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Yup, governors have the edge in having actual administrative experience and a life more connected to the people outside the DC swamp.

hawkeye54 on February 20, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Perry is just another amnesty supporter.
fadetogray on February 20, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Dated Nov. 2013

“Calls to overhaul the nation’s immigration laws will fade away as soon as Mexico jump-starts its economy, Texas Gov. Rick Perry predicted Wednesday.

Perry, speaking to reporters at the Republican Governors Association’s annual conference in Arizona, ridiculed Democratic efforts to pass a comprehensive immigration reform bill without first enhancing security along the Texas-Mexico border.

But Perry said the debate over immigration reform – and perhaps the heated political battles over border security – could end up being pointless thanks to Mexican President Enrique Pena Nieto.

Nieto is working to overhaul his country’s energy laws in order to lure greater investment from outside oil and gas companies, thereby boosting job creation. Energy production in Mexico has been state-run for 75 years.

“I think immigration reform is going to be very passé,” Perry said. “It’s going to be part of the past. And one of the reasons is that is that when Mexico liberalizes the energy policy down there and the Mexicans who are here illegally go home… and as a matter of fact there might be a lot of folks who maybe are U.S. citizens going to Mexico looking for jobs in the energy industry.”

“And (at) that particular point in time,” he added, “this whole discussion about immigration reform, I think it goes away for one thing. And the idea about border security may shift from the United States and Mexico border, down to the Guatemala-Mexican border.”

Asked how long such a scenario might take to unfold, Perry said it “depends on how fast the Congress in Mexico works.”

But he said President Pena Nieto “is very committed to improving the economic lot in Mexico.”

CNN

“Mexico’s Congress voted Thursday to open the country’s moribund state-run oil industry to foreign and domestic investors, casting aside nationalist opposition to approve the most dramatic energy reform in seven decades.” – Dec. 2013

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM

OC :)

cmsinaz on February 20, 2014 at 3:21 PM

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 3:14

We cut the cable cord right after the 2012 election, haven’t missed it one bit. I haven’t even stomached this clip, title says it all.

MontanaMmmm on February 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM

terryannoncrack on February 20, 2014 at 2:58 PM

…we know!…you don’t like to surround yourself…with people that agree with you!

KOOLAID2 on February 20, 2014 at 3:25 PM

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:20 PM

That sounds good but it doesn’t take into account the drug gangs. This is their best market. They’ll keep coming.

crankyoldlady on February 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

not a huge Perry fan but I do respect him and could vote for him if I had too. Do wish the back issues hadn’t messed up his performances in the debates.

dmacleo on February 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

I remember Ronald Reagan and Perry is no Reagan. Cruz is, however.

crankyoldlady on February 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM

I do, too. And, he is. He’s my Governor.

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

nobar on February 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Maybe…

But there’s still 3 more years of More Americans out of work and Millennials watching Mom & Dad get turned down for medical treatments because of Obamacare.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM

When you get right down to it if there is an election almost anybody from the phone book would be better.

crankyoldlady on February 20, 2014 at 3:28 PM

Why are we listening to this loser?

Joseph K on February 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM

cptacek on February 20, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Texas has one of the weakest governorships around.

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM

crankyoldlady on February 20, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Most of the Cartels aren’t Mexican. This happened in January.

“In a sudden turnaround this week, the Mexican government will provide vigilante groups fighting a drug cartel in western Mexico a path to become recognized, moving away from earlier calls for the groups to disarm.
The state of Michoacan, long a flashpoint in Mexico’s drug war, has of late been the scene of fighting between a cartel calling itself the Knights Templar and so-called “auto-defense” groups that have armed themselves and patrolled the streets.
The vigilante groups grew from complaints that the government was not doing enough to protect citizens from the drug cartel. The government acted this month, sending federal forces to the region and ordering the vigilante groups to lay down their weapons.
But Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto appears to have abandoned that call, and instead announced a plan wherein the vigilante forces — if they meet certain criteria — can become part of a government-sanctioned Rural Defense Corps.”

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Texas has one of the weakest governorships around.

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Depends on the politician.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:31 PM

Why are we listening to this loser?

Joseph K on February 20, 2014 at 3:29 PM

Because nobody listened to you when you ranted this last time.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM

Besides having a resume of fiscal conservatism, shouldn’t executive experience count for a lot? Why is no one also putting Pence or Jindal into the mix?

onlineanalyst on February 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM

onlineanalyst on February 20, 2014 at 3:32 PM

It’s early…Besides any story on Gov. Perry makes Liberal heads explode.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Texas has one of the weakest governorships around.

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM

That was true up until Bush. He, and superseded by Perry have held the office long enough to make those appointed beholding to the governor.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM

MontanaMmmm on February 20, 2014 at 3:22 PM

B.O.Reilly (good name, btw) is an egotistical blowhard. Besides the fact he can’t talk without that darn pen between his fingers. At least he’s switched to his left hand. It used to be glued between the forefinger and second finger for YEARS!

He’s just on air to sell books. Total jerk (won’t listen/interrupts/admires his hand with the pen in it/etc.)

avagreen on February 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM

If they aren’t Mexican what are they and it really doesn’t matter who they are anyone can come in through our border. It must be secured. Nobody wants to admit it but the sudden reappearance of old diseases and also things like bedbugs are due to the open border.

crankyoldlady on February 20, 2014 at 3:34 PM

Texas has one of the weakest governorships around.

terryannonline on February 20, 2014 at 3:30 PM

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Yep.

Appointments and whatnot.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM

It’s early…Besides any story on Gov. Perry makes Liberal heads explode.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Yep, too early.

I would add that Perry makes true believers and Palin worshipers heads explode too.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM

juliesa on February 20, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Why is that?

Bitter Clinger on February 20, 2014 at 2:57 PM

I suspect its for the same reason’s I’ve given for lamenting this before.

As a Texan, we get to effectively watch Iowa, New Hampshire, Delaware, Florida, etc pick the nominee. By the time the Texas primary rolls around, the people we may have wanted have been drummed out of the process by less conservative states/donors, and our choices are thinned to the point of there being, well, no choices, really.

It’s infuriating, frankly.

Midas on February 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Galtian on February 20, 2014 at 2:44 PM

here.

CableDude on February 20, 2014 at 3:36 PM

yada yada yada on February 20, 2014 at 3:05 PM

Yeah

Gig Em’

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:36 PM

It’s early…Besides any story on Gov. Perry makes Liberal heads explode.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:33 PM

Yep, too early.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM

HA!

Aint’ that the Truth!

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:37 PM

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA No.

Seth Halpern on February 20, 2014 at 3:38 PM

He owes Perry nothing. And Perry ain’t gonna’ run.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:12 PM

he may not “owe” perry anything but greg abbot appointed him to the solictor general spot which helped raise his profile and get him on people’s radar and abbott and perry are certainly allies in most cases. i would bet that rick and ted are certainly in the same camp mostly. but that doesnt mean if one runs they other will stay out. and as long as its all clean competion why not?

chasdal on February 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

I love Perry threads

GG – original HA Perry girl :)

gophergirl on February 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Maybe…

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:27 PM

And then they’ll vote for Hillary because she promised to fix it, and the media agreed, while telling them that the GOP candidate was just going to make it worse and take stuff away from them and give it to the rich and such.

Midas on February 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Under the radar – Mike Pence.

celtic warrior on February 20, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I thought of that possibility.

Another dark horse could be MI Governor Rick Snyder.

RUexperienced on February 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I suspect its for the same reason’s I’ve given for lamenting this before.

It’s infuriating, frankly.

Midas on February 20, 2014 at 3:35 PM

Agreed.

Whether it’s Cruz or Perry you can expect Bush Inc. to try and shut that down PDQ.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM

gophergirl on February 20, 2014 at 3:39 PM

Yet we love you, and ALyT, any way.

cozmo on February 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM

i have to admit, I didn’t used to too thrilled about our Governor. But after he got humbled a little in the TransTexas Corridor fight, he turned out to be a pretty darned good governor.

CableDude on February 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM

Midas on February 20, 2014 at 3:40 PM

Some of them will…and some of them won’t

We’ll see.

workingclass artist on February 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I’ll be baking special “Hot Gas” cookies in his honor.

Cookie?

famous amos on February 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM

Who do the amnesty purists support? When pinned down they all say that there has to be a way to allow illegals to work towards being citizens through some program or another. Every one of them. So who’s the champ who’s going to seal the borders, round them up, and send em packing??

Marcus on February 20, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I have to admit, I didn’t used to be too thrilled about our Governor. But after he got humbled a little in the TransTexas Corridor fight, he turned out to be a pretty darned good governor.

CableDude on February 20, 2014 at 3:41 PM