Rick Perry 2016?

posted at 2:41 pm on February 20, 2014 by Allahpundit

Of all the electoral maneuvers lately — Huckabee heading to Iowa, Santorum huddling with advisors, Allen West refusing to rule anything out, and even Joe Scarborough visiting New Hampshire — this is the most interesting.

Is there room for Perry this time, though?

Perry, a potential 2016 presidential candidate, will be in Des Moines and Davenport on Feb. 27 and Feb. 28.

He will be sitting down with business leaders to discuss a wide range of issues, according to Bob Haus, an adviser in the state.

He also will be taping an episode of “Iowa Press,” Iowa Public Television’s weekly public affairs program, Haus said.

Perry intends to discuss his efforts with Americans for Economic Freedom, a group he formed last year that is aimed at promoting state policies that lead to economic expansion and job creation.

He jumped in last time because the field sorely needed a credible conservative alternative to Romney. Didn’t work out. He might jump in this time because the field sorely needs a credible conservative alternative to … Rand Paul? Ted Cruz? Rubio? At least one of those guys is definitely running, and maybe more than one. If none of them are sufficiently socially conservative for you, Santorum and maybe even Huckabee will probably end up running too. The argument for Perry, I suppose, is that he’s the only one potential tea-party champion with executive experience, but I can’t believe that’ll put him over the top when it didn’t help him last time. (Yeah, Romney had a few years of experience as a governor too but he ran on his business record, not his stewardship of Massachusetts.) Besides, Paul, Rubio, and Cruz have all been in the thick of major policy debates over the past year. If you’re looking for a candidate to vindicate your principles, why look past those three to a guy who’s retiring as governor after flaming out in 2012?

Maybe he’s banking on the Republican “next in line” effect to propel him. In theory, as the 2012 runner-up, Santorum’s the “next in line,” but no one seriously thinks he’s going to be the nominee. Paul Ryan would become “next in line” if he runs, but most people think he won’t. Perry could be calculating that he’s well positioned to fill that vacuum; he’s the next full-spectrum conservative candidate in line, at least. And there is, I guess, a way for him to cobble together a coalition among righties who are disaffected with their other options. Some may find Rand Paul’s libertarian leanings suspicious, especially on social issues; others may rule out Rubio for carrying too much water on amnesty, even though Perry himself is moderate on immigration. Others may want a social con as nominee but not someone whose chief political identity is as a social conservative a la Santorum or Huckabee. If Cruz runs, though, I think he’d cannibalize most of Perry’s support, Perry’s executive pedigree notwithstanding. Which, maybe, explains Perry’s presence in Iowa now. No reason not to keep his options open just in case Cruz decides not to run. Which, I think, is what he’ll end up deciding.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

If Perry can’t garner 300 comments on HotGas, he’s a loser..:)

idesign on February 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Oh, and done :)

cptacek on February 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

If Perry can’t garner 300 comments on HotGas, he’s a loser..:)

idesign on February 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Oh, and done :)

cptacek on February 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

and One….via Breitbart Texas

Gov. Perry tells Neil Cavuto Big Labor Unions don’t stand a chance in Texas…

Gig Em’ HotGas

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 10:41 AM

Why depend on debates to pick your Presidential candidate. Is that a indispensable skill for being President? How about let’s look at someone who has actually done the work of being an executive?

cptacek on February 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I agree; it’s a shame it has to be. But again, in this day and age of electronic media where you’re constantly before a camera and a microphone–you simply have to be a good communicator and present yourself well in debate formats.

Like the other poster mentioned, Ted Cruz has those qualities and would be much better served to be our nominee if he decides to run.

Bob Davis on February 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM

Great! Another Amnesty Shill!

Brock Robamney on February 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I supported Perry until he dropped out in 2012, I think he would make an excellent president; but unfortunately to get the nomination and ultimately win the election you have to be a good debater and speaker. In 2016 we need a candidate that can explain conservative ideas confidently to voters.

cptacek on February 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

The American people have short attention spans, unfortunately they like a shiny toy over someone with actual accomplishments.

midgeorgian on February 21, 2014 at 11:58 AM

If Perry can’t garner 300 comments on HotGas, he’s a loser..:)

idesign on February 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Oh, and done :)

cptacek on February 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

It was a squeaker…LMAO

idesign on February 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

It was a squeaker…LMAO

idesign on February 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

nevertheless…

*snicker*

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Great! Another Amnesty Shill!

Brock Robamney on February 21, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Gawww! Don’t you read any of the comments before posting? He is NOT! The only people that say that are other politicians taking comments out of context regarding the open commerce between Mexico and Texas on the border that has gone on for centuries. People outside Texas have no earthly idea of how mixed and intertwined the culture between Mexico and Texas is, but they sit in living rooms far away from Texas making pronouncements about it.

Perry Says Amnesty Not Solution to Illegal Immigration

Texas Gov. Rick Perry says the U.S.-Mexico border must first be secured, and then under no circumstances would he support any type of amnesty for the estimated 11 million illegal immigrants who now live in the United States. The presidential contender also told Fox News’ Greta Van Susteren Tuesday that before he can lay out a specific plan for solving the illegal immigration problem, a conversation must be held with the American people.

“Well, one of the things we’re not going to do is support amnesty. There’s not anybody that’s going to be — I don’t care whether you’ve been here 25 days or 25 years — there’s not going to be amnesty involved in the program,” Perry said. “Americans have made it very clear that they’re not going to support amnesty. There are a host of ways to address this issue….

avagreen on February 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM

It was a squeaker…LMAO

idesign on February 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Well, it said 309 prior to my above posting, and it still says 309, so this post either makes it 310 or 311.

I’m *snickering* along with workingclassartist, who can, btw, explain beautifully this commerce between Texas and Mexico. I’ve read his comments b/f on this subject. He’s a fount of information.

avagreen on February 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM

avagreen on February 21, 2014 at 12:52 PM

If every Republican that get accused of supporting amnesty online actually did support amnesty, it would have passed years ago!

midgeorgian on February 21, 2014 at 1:33 PM

avagreen on February 21, 2014 at 12:57 PM

So if Perry comes out for a massive guest worker program will that turn you against him?

Or how about if he thinks they should pay a fine before than can apply for legal residence, but then it’s okay because it’s not ‘amnesty?’

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM

I would love to see Bobby Jindal, Ted Cruz, Rick Perry or Scott Walker (in that order.)

I still say last time, Perry did poorly in the early debates because of the pain pills he was on from his back operation that summer. It was bad timing and the campaign started too soon for him to fully recover.

And of course Republicans piled on and cannibalized their own. As usual. Next time, no matter how many conservatives are in the field, we should cut loose any one of them who targets another. Plenty of RINOS and liberal Dems for them to attack.

Remember Reagan’s motto not to speak ill of a fellow Republican? Let’s make it a fellow conservative. The only criticism allowed will be, what are their changes of making it in the general election.

Elisa on February 21, 2014 at 2:09 PM

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 1:56 PM

Here’s an interesting idea…

What if say Texans (Texas Businesses) did what they could to help Mexico rebuild as they try and get out from under their failed socialist experiment?

Helped them develop fracking technology and helped them restore their Oil Production (Now at an all time low)…co-operate with the Mexican Government on securing the border…rebuilding their eroding infrastructure…manufacturing etc. and made big bucks in the process?

The political winds are changing again…and we’re not talking Vincente Fox.

Coupled with shutting off the Government Tit….

Folks might start migrating home?

Nah…that could never happen…

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Nah…that could never happen…

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 2:51 PM

That’s a terrific plan. What does it have to do with a candidate’s position on amnesty???

Hope is never a good substitute for good policy. What you are doing is dodging the issue because you know your candidate’s position is indefensibly pro cheap labor.

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 3:04 PM

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 3:04 PM

It has everything to with Perry’s prediction that this will be a non-issue.

He was responding to the rhino push for amnesty that has occurred of late…He said it in november.

He’s always been about Border Security and said there’s no point in even discussing reform etc. until the border is secure…equating it to leaving the kitchen door open while you talk to the cops about burglaries in the neighborhood out front.

He’s said “What’s the use of a fence if no-one patrols it effectively…we need boots on the ground.”

He went after GWB for poaching Texas Border Agents. He’s been suing Obama since probably his 3rd week in office which is probably when Obama started mess in’ with Texas.

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Those were popular things to do. I’ll wait until I see him getting pressured on the issue from both sides in public debate. From what I recall, and as for now, my bet is he will favor a big guest worker program and legalization following confirmation by some suspect bureaucracy that the border is ‘secure.’ In other words, the standard talking points formula for getting around all of us ignorant nativists who want the law enforced.

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM

Fair enough.

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 3:52 PM

idesign on February 21, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Wow!..We didn’t even have to bring in any trolls..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 4:01 PM

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 3:43 PM

And, you could be wrong. That’s what’s wrong with guesses and bets. I could say the moon is made of 1/2 size pebbles next to boulders 3ft across, but until there’s proof….there goes my guess.

(Been gone to the vet for my cat.)

avagreen on February 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Otherwise your over-weaning dislike of Perry based upon no proof whatsoever so far, but bets/guesses, who do you prefer for a candidate?
BTW, we Texans are used to the prejudice against everything Texas. I’ve been putting up with since childhood when my dad’s job took him all over the States.

You wouldn’t believe the ignorant questions I was asked about Texas. When in grade school (granted that’s been a few years……I have grandchildren), my homeroom teacher/social studies teacher in Kemmerer, Wyo actually asked me “Do you still travel in covered wagons in Texas. ”

*facepalm*

avagreen on February 21, 2014 at 5:20 PM

*facepalm*

avagreen on February 21, 2014 at 5:20 PM

When I was in Grad School at Penn every time I ran across a Brit (Which happens a lot if you follow rugby) They always asked me about Dallas…assuming most Texans lived like JR et,al.

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 5:46 PM

next to boulders 3ft across, but until there’s proof….there goes my guess.

(Been gone to the vet for my cat.)

avagreen on February 21, 2014 at 5:15 PM

I am not basing my opinion on a guess. I remember him talking that way, but I just can’t remember the circumstances or his exact words, so since you are a Perry advocate demanding proof, I admitted up front that I have none.

I am not trying to win an argument with you, Ava. I am laying down a marker, and you are taking it up.

If you turn out to be right, I will probably become a Perry supporter. If you turn out to be wrong (highly likely, IMO), you will shrug and keep supporting him, so your opinion regarding amnesty and Perry should be considered in light of that.

BTW, I have nothing against Texas. If I wasn’t trapped by business and family here in La La Land (L.A.), I’d have moved to Texas many years ago.

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I think I did..Comparing folks losing limbs to someone being “talked bad” about..:(

Dire Straits on February 20, 2014 at 11:39 PM

It was more than just being “talked bad about”. It was a pretty much systematic dehumanization carried out by a fanatical mob, and it’s still going on. If you haven’t been through either, how can you be such a holy judge?

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 6:54 PM

There goes that guessing-thing again. And, more than a little prejudice in that statement.

I’ve rejected many a Texan whose policies I did not agree with. In fact, I initially rejected Perry about the time the Trans-Corridor thing happened. When I saw the details of what he was thinking and how he handled it, I changed my mind.

Don’t quit your day job…..mindreading just isn’t your forte.;)

What is it about Texans that drive people to think we are just robots, mindless ones at that?

BTW, I’ve lived in California, as well: Fontana and San Pablo (twice), both of which have changed greatly since we lived there. It wasn’t as bad then as it is now, but….I just didn’t like it even as a kid. I can’t imagine what it would be like now.

avagreen on February 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM

If Perry can’t garner 300 comments on HotGas, he’s a loser..:)

idesign on February 20, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Oh, and done :)

cptacek on February 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Yeah, but 3/4 of the comments were about Palin. *snicker, since we ‘nistas weren’t the ones who brought her up*

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 6:56 PM

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Texas and California.

very different states.

Ever notice that over the recent years Texans are never brought to the immigration reform decision table?

All I can say is nobody stays in Texas for the welfare…which the Baptists here try and keep to the minimum.

Eisenhower was a native Texan.

There are common sense conservative solutions to problems…even these problems.

The priority must be border security and our constitution first…And most Texans agree with that and a lot of them are Tejanos.

If Gov. Perry runs…It’ll be interesting to hear and read what his proposed solutions would be.

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 7:06 PM

……….

……….

avagreen on February 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM

My ‘prejudice’ had to do with blog commenters and candidate advocates, Ava. It had nothing to do with Texas. Sheeesh. Talk about prejudice.

And we will yet see if my ‘prejudice’ about that was correct.

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 7:19 PM

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 6:43 PM

I really don’t think Perry will run. But if he does run and he wins the nomination, you can be sure that the GOPe is sure that he won’t “rock the boat” as any sort of reformer.

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 7:19 PM

avagreen on February 21, 2014 at 6:55 PM

I don’t think they’re robots, just a little too, I dunno, arrogant with the grating “Texas exceptionalism” routine. Lots of states do almost as well, and do so without the oil revenue.

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Funny how the “Palinistas” jump on a thread..Surely you can figure that out..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 7:45 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Wow..Funny how you have no problem with Palin promoting Alaska oil..But you have a problem with Perry promoting Texas oil???!!??..Is there a difference??..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 7:50 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I’m not being a judge ..You are..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 7:53 PM

workingclass artist on February 21, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Agree..Here is hoping he can “sell” the GOP platform..:)

PS..If he runs..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 8:14 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 6:54 PM

Plus I would add that most conservatives and the GOP supported Palin..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM

Funny how the “Palinistas” jump on a thread..

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Funny how we aren’t the ones obsessed with bringing her up constantly… :)

Wow..Funny how you have no problem with Palin promoting Alaska oil..But you have a problem with Perry promoting Texas oil???!!??..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 7:50 PM

I don’t have a problem with promoting oil, nitwit.

I’m not being a judge ..You are..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 7:53 PM

You’re the one who was hoping to rain fire and brimstone down on me from the peanut gallery for a three-year-old comment…and not an “idolatrous” one, at that. You’ve still come up with nothing.

Plus I would add that most conservatives and the GOP supported Palin..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 8:17 PM

LOL.

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM

and do so without the oil revenue.

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM

You do not pay attention to what you post..Do you??..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM

and do so without the oil revenue.

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM

You do not pay attention to what you post..Do you??..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Yeah, I do. I missed the part where I said I was against promoting oil. What a dodo.

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I stand with the point I made..Comparing people losing limbs to a political “sliming” is ridiculous!..Funny I haven’t seen no “defenders” of your statement..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I haven’t seen any take me to task over it, either.

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:35 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Your words..Not mine..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:39 PM

I haven’t seen any take me to task over it, either.

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I guess you forgot to read the rest of the thread..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Your words..Not mine..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Yeah, they are. I don’t see “I’m against promoting oil” anywhere there. Do you? You’re a waste of time, almost as bad as Bradky.

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:40 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:40 PM

LoLz..Whatever you say..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM

I guess you forgot to read the rest of the thread..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:40 PM

What, 3 years ago? When the GOP cheerleaders and Mittbot contingent were just waiting for some club to hit a ‘nista over the head with? LOL No, I didn’t bother then, either.

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:43 PM

LoLz..Whatever you say..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:42 PM

That’s more like it… :)

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:44 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Those folks that made their comments were not “mittbots” by the way..Again maybe you should read their comments..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:46 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:44 PM

I think the line from Forrest Gump comes into play here..Are you stupid or something??”..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 9:49 PM

I haven’t seen any take me to task over it, either.

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:38 PM

I haven’t seen anyone take me to task either..I was only providing you info..Take it or leave it..I’m good either way..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 10:29 PM

ddrintn on February 21, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Very telling statement..:)

PS..Enjoyed the debate as always..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 10:37 PM

A Christie/Perry ticket would be optimum.

cimbri on February 22, 2014 at 5:31 AM

I’d donate time and $ to a Perry campaign.

Murphy9 on February 22, 2014 at 8:36 AM

You’re wrong.
1. Not all blog commenters do that: right off hand, I can name workingclassartist and me as examples on this very forum. Neither have I seen one Perry supporter on this forum say what you’ve just said, either. ??

2. Your statement is a swipe at our Governor,the State of Texas, and the quality of people that support Perry for you to make such a judgmental statement. And, it was judgmental. You’re just digging a deeper hole with each comment. You make us sound ignorant and too dumb for words. The prejudice is still yours, my dear.

And we will yet see if my ‘prejudice’ about that was correct.

fadetogray on February 21, 2014 at 7:19 PM

You’ll find some diehards in every camp, but not to the extent you tried to use in order to put me into some kind of category so that you just divine what my future thoughts would be. That’s prejudice (prejudgment w/o facts aforehand). His past mistakes that are often pointed out are from ignorance of the details and the keen interest in destroying him….just like the progs did with Palin (much to one supporter’s angst still posting).

Just fess up and stop, please. You’re just making it worse.

avagreen on February 22, 2014 at 9:01 AM

A Christie/Perry ticket would be optimum.

cimbri on February 22, 2014 at 5:31 AM

funny that.

They’d kill each other…Christie tried to block Perry’s appointment to one of the RGA committees.

workingclass artist on February 22, 2014 at 9:22 AM

2. Your statement is a swipe at our Governor,the State of Texas, and the quality of people that support Perry for you to make such a judgmental statement. And, it was judgmental. You’re just digging a deeper hole with each comment. You make us sound ignorant and too dumb for words. The prejudice is still yours, my dear…

avagreen on February 22, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Texans by and large are not that into politicians…even the better ones and the ones we like.

We are a skeptical lot.

Mostly Perry does his job and he listens to the voters even when he’s wrong….and he’s been wrong on occasion. Most folks don’t even think about him except when the legislature is in session…He just continues to do his job.

We don’t generally go for long political speeches either…15 minutes, answer some questions and head to the BBQ. We’d rather see the policy proposals written down for later discussion etc.

Perry is good at working the crowd and answering the voters directly and in town halls…It’s old school politickin’

If Perry wants to run he should…Let the chips fall where they may. I’d like to see a dedicated federalist in the WH and I’d like to see an economic upswing in the country.

You’re doin a fine job informing folks about Texans and that’s the best we can do.

workingclass artist on February 22, 2014 at 9:36 AM

Agree..Here is hoping he can “sell” the GOP platform..:)

PS..If he runs..:)

Dire Straits on February 21, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Well It’s been a hoot watching him sell conservative legislation for economics in the liberal states…Imagine unleashing him on the European continent…

Here he is at the NH when they were debating on whether to become a Right to Work State. It’s a good short speech.

Gig Em’

: )

workingclass artist on February 22, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Perry’s team put the video channel backup on youtube including his ads…That’s interesting.

Here’s the link

workingclass artist on February 22, 2014 at 9:56 AM

workingclass artist on February 22, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Agreed..That would be fun to watch him sell his economic plan to the European countries..:)

Dire Straits on February 22, 2014 at 2:42 PM

workingclass artist on February 22, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Thanks for the links..:)

Dire Straits on February 22, 2014 at 2:43 PM

They still couldn’t find BarryBAMMMSTAHHHHHH!!!!!!!! YOU DA MANNNNNN BAMMY BABYYYYYY!!!! LOVE YA BARRY OL BUDDY OL PALLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!YEAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

eff WeiNer on February 2, 2014 at 2:5PM

cableguy615 on February 22, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Good governor, poor communicator. So, no.

virgo on February 23, 2014 at 12:07 AM

Gosh! This is still going on??

I guess he will win, then. :):)

Luv your links, wca, as usual.

avagreen on February 23, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Perry would be a candidate that all factions could get behind.

cimbri on February 23, 2014 at 11:14 PM