Three terrible stories from the week in protecting and serving

posted at 10:01 pm on February 19, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

Good for Brandy Berning, a single mom pulled over for driving in an HOV lane, for recording this incident and for sticking up for herself. After the officer got in her car, tried to steal her phone, assaulted her, arrested her, and put her in jail for a night, all charges were dropped.

In the next story, a young man in San Francisco called 911 for two people he came across in the wake of a bike accident. He was told by the dispatcher to await police and ambulance, and when he did, he ended up arrested, in jail, and in a solitary padded cell with no clue as to when he’d be released. He and his friend were also told they couldn’t take pictures or record. It starts bad and gets worse.

Sgt. Espinoza, short, stout, grey and assertive, asked Ben and me whether we had witnessed the accident. We said that we hadn’t, but arrived shortly thereafter. I was standing 15 feet from the scene beside Officer Kaur, a stocky female of South Asian complexion. She turned to me and abruptly said that I was not needed as a witness and should leave immediately. I told her we were headed home, just across the way, when my friend and I encountered the accident; and that I’d recently broken my elbow in a similar bike accident here and deeply cared about the outcome.

The firemen were examining Rebecca and Josh. Ben was still supporting Rebecca’s back when Sgt. Espinoza and Officer Gabriel grabbed him from behind without warning, putting him in an arm lock and jerked him backwards over the pavement. They told him sternly that he had to leave now that trained medical professionals had arrived, implying that he was interfering and justifying their violent actions. The officers dragged him across the sidewalk, propping him against the building. Rebecca was still holding Ben’s cellphone when she lost his support. “Where are they taking him?” she asked perplexedly.

It all happened within 5 minutes of the police’s arrival. The sirens and emergency vehicles, the sudden arrival of over half a dozen uniformed personnel, two of whom had grabbed my friend, transformed an intimate street scene into something chaotic. Officer Kaur shouted at me to cross the street. It was very sudden and I was, admittedly, in shock. I stammered that I intended to head home, but that my friend was over there. I pointed at Ben against the wall, and said I’d like to take him home with me.

Arrested

Without warning, I was shoved from behind by Officer Gerrans and then collectively tackled by Officers Gerrans, Kaur and Andreotti. As they took me to the ground, one of the officers kneed me in the right temple. On the pavement, I begged them to watch out for my recently broken right elbow. Knees on my back and neck pinned me to the ground. I was cuffed and left face down.

I was not told that I was under arrest, what the charges were, nor read my rights. I rolled over onto my back so that I could see the arresting officers and ask them their intentions.

Officer Kaur pulled me up so that I was in a sitting position, and then stepped onto my handcuffed hands, grinding them into the pavement. I was so suddenly transported to a distant reality, that I was still coming to terms with its operating principles. “Is this protocol?” I inquired and instinctively wriggled my hands from under her boots. Officer Kaur had full control of me physically. Again, she stomped her boots on my hands, demanded that I “keep [my] hands on the ground,” pushed me back face down, and walked away.

Read the whole thing if you have time. It has a lot of liberal-mugged-by-reality vibe to it, but the reality is just the force of the state, with which so much of San Francisco is normally so enamored when it’s super-excited to use said force to exact the “good” they want to see in society. There’s a sad part where the victim of this ordeal briefly seems to castigates himself for his white upper-middle-class privilege, wondering if he should even complain about his treatment when others have received much worse. He overcomes this insecurity to tell the tale, and good for him. Because, no, the police are not supposed to be allowed to detain you in solitary confinement for days at a time just because you grew up in a spacious suburban ranch house. And, someone who grew up in a ranch house telling his story might help others who did not reside in the suburbs.

Both of these stories ended with the detained getting out of jail and going on to live their lives (and, one hopes, get some kind of apology or disciplinary action out of the police).

Not this one. Christopher Roupe, a 17-year-old ROTC member in Georgia, was shot and killed by an officer trying to find his father, who had violated probation. It’s unclear exactly what happened, but it is clear Roupe should not have been killed:

EUHARLEE, Ga. – An attorney representing the family of a 17-year-old Georgia boy who was shot and killed by a police officer says the boy was holding a video game controller when he was shot after opening his door.

Christopher Roupe was fatally shot in the chest Friday, Feb. 14 when Euharlee officers showed up at the door of his mobile home to serve a probation violation warrant for the boy’s father, WSB-TV reports. A female officer reportedly told the Georgia Bureau of Investigation that Roupe pointed a gun at her after he opened the door.

But the family’s attorney, Cole Law, said the boy was holding a Nintendo Wii video game controller, and was about to watch a movie.

“The eyewitnesses on the scene clearly state that he had a Wii controller in his hand. He heard a knock at the door. He asked who it was, there was no response so he opened the door and upon opening the door he was immediately shot in the chest,” Law told WSB.

Neighbor Ken Yates said that he saw the female officer immediately after Roupe was killed and described her as being visibly distraught.

“This is tragic,” Yates told the station. “She came out of this house. She put her head in her hands and she was sobbing. Supposedly, he opened the door with a BB gun and in my opinion I think he was playing a game with his neighborhood buddies.”

Terrible. Be careful out there, folks. Even when there’s no ill intent or misuse of power, mistakes by police happen too often and are too often deadly.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

The Police protect and serve GOVERNMENT now.

They are NOT our friends. They are NOT our protectors. They are our oppressors.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:03 PM

This sounds criminal. What legal actions are being taken against him?!?

chris0christies0donut on February 19, 2014 at 10:04 PM

The cops are getting more and more out of control. And nothing ever happens thanks to police ‘unions’.

Your time is coming, like it or not.

Lanceman on February 19, 2014 at 10:05 PM

Crikey!

Newtie and the Beauty on February 19, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Enemies

traye on February 19, 2014 at 10:07 PM

God bless the police. Just a few bad ones in my experience.

kcewa on February 19, 2014 at 10:08 PM

Is this Lesbians out of control?

Mason on February 19, 2014 at 10:09 PM

It’s way past time we took our liberty back from the police.

I’m a former law and order conservative driven straight into the arms of libertarianism because of stuff like this. The general attitude that the police have that they are above the law, that the citizens are beneath them, and everything that stems from that disgusts me.

The militarization of the police is more than just gear and tactics; it’s a mentality that they now have. We are, in essence, being occupied by our own police at this point.

Nessuno on February 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM

“To protect and serve” don’t mean what it used to mean.

antipc on February 19, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Is this Lesbians out of control?

Mason on February 19, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Where did that come from?

KCB on February 19, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Once again: Malloy & Reed are dead.

Lanceman on February 19, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Fascism.

joekenha on February 19, 2014 at 10:12 PM

This sounds criminal. What legal actions are being taken against him?!?

chris0christies0donut on February 19, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Police benefit from court-created immunity from prosecution except in the most extreme circumstances. Essentially, if the officer claims he thought she was committing a felony, that’s good enough for the law, irrespective of the fact that he should have know that she wasn’t.

Nessuno on February 19, 2014 at 10:12 PM

The Police protect and serve GOVERNMENT now.

They are NOT our friends. They are NOT our protectors. They are our oppressors.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:03 PM

All of them?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 19, 2014 at 10:13 PM

God bless the police. Just a few bad ones in my experience.

kcewa on February 19, 2014 at 10:08 PM’

That doesn’t mean that this officer should be excused. I’d like to know why he’s not formally charged with battery and dismissed from the police force.

bayam on February 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM

The number of bad apples seems to be growing. I’ve long since (many years ago) come to the conclusion that anyone representing the ‘state’ is not my friend, and will NEVER get my permission to enter my home, my vehicle, etc. without a warrant.

xNavigator on February 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM

WTF?…I feel for some of the police and the anxiety in some neighborhoods they have to work…but we are becoming a police state lately…and nothing is being done about it!…we have to protect ourselves … from ‘friend’ and ‘foe’… how do we tell them apart?

KOOLAID2 on February 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM

If you haven’t read this before, read it, all of it, if you have read it, read it again…

The Rise of the Praetorian Class

It explains all of these police abuses of authority cases were are witnessing.

oscarwilde on February 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM

The Filth.

lexhamfox on February 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Where is QOTD?

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM

This sucks. A civil society needs effective, fair law enforcement. I hope I don’t see too many more stories and that the cop who killed the kid gets his due.

22044 on February 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Where is QOTD?

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM

It’s being held for questioning until it surrenders is cell phone…

oscarwilde on February 19, 2014 at 10:16 PM

This is your police. This piece of shit should have been fired and prosecuted.

And of course, as soon as this made the rounds, the Canton PD pulled their FB page.

Lanceman on February 19, 2014 at 10:16 PM

I have TWO WORDS that Tie All of these Events together:

“UNION BOSSES”!!

williamg on February 19, 2014 at 10:17 PM

All of them?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 19, 2014 at 10:13 PM

The good ones enable the bad ones with their silence.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM

The video is broken. Or is it just not a iPad friendly format?

jawkneemusic on February 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Our sheriffs deputies are stand-up guys. But I’d never turn my back on the CHP or the popo.

antipc on February 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM

antipc on February 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Sheriffs can be tossed on their ass at the voting booth. So naturally they tend to be more citizen friendly than bureaucratic city and state police.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:19 PM

Once again: Malloy & Reed are dead.

Lanceman on February 19, 2014 at 10:12 PM

I seem to remember it as Officers Reed and Malloy.

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Holy W.T.F.

Midas on February 19, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Police are the enemy now. Ask any Las Vegas resident.

Harbingeing on February 19, 2014 at 10:20 PM

bayam on February 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM

True. If the report is correct. And depending on which incident you’re talking about.

kcewa on February 19, 2014 at 10:21 PM

22044 on February 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Our civil society has been crumbling, and is now under full assault from the top. I won’t be surprised to see more of this happening.

Midas on February 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:19 PM

That’s why we’ll have to rely on the sheriffs to enforce nullification if it ever comes to that point. Municipal police officers, no matter how honorable and good they are at their jobs, are employed by municipal bureaucracies.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM

…nice looking…single mom!

KOOLAID2 on February 19, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Midas on February 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Law Enforcement is being converted into a militarized (but ill trained) stupid, but absolutely OBEDIENT tool of the State.

You see, they are USED to shooting American Citizens. Whereas the military IS NOT.

They are the fist of the Obama Coup.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:25 PM

I’m sorry but there are far to many stupid people around today. They are poorly educated, have never learned any self control and now they have power.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM

The good ones enable the bad ones with their silence.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM

All of them?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM

They are the fist of the Obama Coup.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:25 PM

In 2008 this would have sounded crazy to me. It no longer does. It went from crazy to credibly plausible. It’s just a stone’s throw between plausible and possible.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Where is QOTD?

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM

AP is probably running down the Scott Walker emailgate story as we speak.

kcewa on February 19, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Sad to say I agree w everything Constantine said already.

Harbingeing on February 19, 2014 at 10:27 PM

The good ones enable the bad ones with their silence.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:18 PM

All of them?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM

ALL of them.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:27 PM

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:23 PM

I have no respect whatsoever for city police. Sheriffs, yes. And most State Police, because they have actual professional training. But most city police departments are utter jokes.

In Huntington, WV, (where I work) they got a SWAT team about 10 years ago.

Their FIRST action they saw (in full military gear with AR-15′s of course) they SURROUNDED a whole city block to get their PERP, a guy in a wheelchair.

They shut down much of the city for hours and when they finally went to make the arrest the dude had ESCAPED, UNDER THEIR NOSE IN THE WHEELCHAIR.

Maybe if they had spent more time actually paying attention to their mission instead of closing down streets, intimidating people, and playing “special forces” they might have made the arrest…

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Come on, Mary. I’ve been a cop for 19 years and there, unfortunately, will always be stories like these. These officers should absolutely be investigated and fired, prosecuted if need be. There are more good ones than bad ones, it’s just the bad ones, obviously, get more press.

The stories of good cops who do their job don’t make headlines. I’ve been to more officer funerals than I care to remember, why not do a story about them? There’s plenty of them, believe me.

I stopped going to Gateway Pundit because of the anti-police stories they printed with far too many comments about shooting cops. The left accuses us of being tools of oppression against minorities and the poor. The right accuses us of being tools of oppression against them.

I’m not defending what these officers did, they sicken me, but please remember those who serve their communities with honor and let’s not forget the over 16,000 who died doing so. Most cops are conservatives, which is why I love this site so much.

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Mary Katharine, these aren’t “mistakes by police.” This is a POLICE STATE. I come across stories of police abuse of power almost daily now. We can’t get it stopped if we won’t even admit what it is.

Lizzy on February 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM

We had a lot of bad cops when Mayor Marty Chavez (Democrat) decided we need more cops on the street. A large number of them were allowed to sign up with APD with scant background checks, the wild west ensued. they were shooting first, and asking questions later.

Drill and Fill on February 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Thank you for your service.

kcewa on February 19, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Add this one MKH as #4

Cincinnati policewoman mistreats rape victim by refusing to take her to the hospital for treatment and arrests her instead. The police cam has handed this public servant a lawsuit and desk job.

HellCat on February 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM

All of them?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Sadly Sargent Joe Friday isn’t the typical cop anymore.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Shut up and read this, then go cry to some who is stupid enough to care.

The Rise of the Praetorian Class

oscarwilde on February 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM

In Huntington, WV, (where I work) they got a SWAT team about 10 years ago.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Funny you should mention that. I come from a small town in South Dakota (but aren’t they all? Hahaha!) of about 25,000.

About five-and-a-half years ago or so, there was a drug raid of what turned out to be an unoccupied house. Without announcing themselves. Typical Classic no-knock raid. One of the cops on the raid ended up getting shot in the hip. By another cop. Years later the dude who got shot was still limping with a cane, and the guy who did the shooting was found to have followed procedure. Naturally.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Sadly Sargent Joe Friday isn’t the typical cop anymore.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:32 PM

If he ever was. A big reason that Jack Webb created the Dragnet franchise was because he saw firsthand what a shitty reputation LA cops had as far back as the 1950′s.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Thanks for proving my point, oscarwilde.

I shall return here no more.

Good luck to all of you and God Bless.

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Thanks for proving my point, oscarwilde.

I shall return here no more.

Good luck to all of you and God Bless.

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Thanks for proving my, and everyone else here’s point.

oscarwilde on February 19, 2014 at 10:34 PM

I got the crap knocked out of me for no good reason back in the early 80′s. Arrested in the lobby of the police station for asking about a friend. Beaten up in a jail cell. Make to mop up my own blood in the morning.

Went like this:

Me- I’d like to know about x.
Cop- none of your business.
Me- but I just wantnto know…..

Bam. On the floor in a choke hold. Dragged to a cell.

wolly4321 on February 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM

ALL of them.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Sure. So much drama here.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Thanks for proving my point, oscarwilde.

I shall return here no more.

Good luck to all of you and God Bless.

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Don’t go based on a few idiots.

kcewa on February 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I find it really ironic that people can be charged with FIRST DEGREE MURDER for killing a police dog sent after them, but today’s police shoot pets on sight.

Equal protection under the law? Doesn’t exist anymore. Police are CIVILIANS, not military. They are CIVIL authority. This means they don’t really have any authority that CITIZENS do not.

Not today. All too often these ill trained morons are judge, jury, and executioner.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM

the police have become nothing more than an occupation force…… if you want to escalate ANY situation…… Call a cop.

roflmmfao

donabernathy on February 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM

Thanks for proving my point, oscarwilde.

I shall return here no more.

Good luck to all of you and God Bless.

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Don’t let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM

I wonder if smoking Marijuana makes you this gullible.

Baggi on February 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:33 PM

A reputation they still have today.

Still, at least Jack Webb WAS idealistic. And if cops were LIKE Joe Friday, they’d have 99.999% of the law abiding behind them.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:37 PM

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:36 PM

That reminds me…

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:37 PM

oscarwilde.

gryphon202

D*ckheads. You’re both lowlifes.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 19, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Oops, here is the video I meant to link

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:38 PM

…nice looking…single mom!

KOOLAID2 on February 19, 2014 at 10:24 PM

How about the single mom and the two news broadcasters?

That was a yummy segment all the way around.

BuckeyeSam on February 19, 2014 at 10:39 PM

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Anytime you need backing here, just ask me.

I’ve known quite a few Policemen over the years, and grew up
across the street from one who became a Policeman.

You absolutely nailed it.

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 10:39 PM

oscarwilde.

gryphon202

D*ckheads. You’re both lowlifes.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 19, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Did you click the link I posted? No, I didn’t think so.

oscarwilde on February 19, 2014 at 10:39 PM

m not defending what these officers did, they sicken me, but please remember those who serve their communities with honor and let’s not forget the over 16,000 who died doing so. Most cops are conservatives, which is why I love this site so much. NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I’ve met quite a few great cops. Few bad ones.

wolly4321 on February 19, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 10:26 PM

Yeah, but they have cool tats…

yubley on February 19, 2014 at 10:41 PM

D*ckheads. You’re both lowlifes.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 19, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Oh yeah. I’m a lowlife for doubting the goodness of municipal cops who protect their own, including the dog killers and human-murderers. But I am the lowlife. Sure.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Welcome to the police state, people. Authoritarian government is here.

predator on February 19, 2014 at 10:42 PM

////

predator on February 19, 2014 at 10:43 PM

I’ve met quite a few great cops. Few bad ones.

wolly4321 on February 19, 2014 at 10:40 PM

So have I.

The problem is the good ones tarnish themselves by NOT outing the bad ones.

The only police I trust are those I know personally.

And those are the only ones YOU should trust too.

NEVER assume that anyone from the government is “here to help”.

Frankly, the only government responders that should be taken at face value are fireman. At least,there has never been a report (that I’ve heard of anyway) of them showing up at the wrong address, STARTING a fire, and then killing people who were uninvolved.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:43 PM

which is why I love this site so much.

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Truly sorry to see some of the posts here…..

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Youngest son had a similar experience with Chicago cops, including their threatening to take private property AND putting a gun in his glove box and acting like they just found it. He kept his cool and stayed out of jail but was detained for three hours while they threatened him (for making a U-turn). The strangest thing was they repeatedly asked him if he or we (his parents) had FOID (Firearm Owners Identification) cards.

Fallon on February 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM

which is why I love this site so much.

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Truly sorry to see some of the posts here…..

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Yes, we should all close our eyes and pretend nothing is happening, after all, It can’t happen here, right?

oscarwilde on February 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM

which is why I love this site so much.

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Truly sorry to see some of the posts here…..

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM

PROTIP: When you’re more worried about civilians questioning the great blue wall of silence than you are about the existence of that great blue wall of silence, you’re doing it wrong.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM

God bless the police. Just a few bad ones in my experience.

kcewa on February 19, 2014 at 10:08 PM

bayam on February 19, 2014 at 10:14 PM

bayam said WHAT ? ! ! . . . . . . . crap … now I gotta’ go back and re-think my position.
First it was bluegill . . . and now bayam.

listens2glenn on February 19, 2014 at 10:56 PM

oscarwilde on February 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM

Yes, by all means, let’s tar and feather every damn one of em.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:49 PM

When you blast an Individual who comes here for the same reason
we do, maybe you’re “doing it wrong”?

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Same old same old. Cops are generally the lowest of the low, too stupid to get a real job and too angry to do anything else.

Cops don’t have a duty to protect you, and are just as likely to kill as they are to help you. And don’t you dare try to talk to one. If you do, you have some kind of problem, son, that’ll get sorted out real quick like.

Cops. *spit*

Aquateen Hungerforce on February 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Apology? Not hardly! Having been a cop for 30 years, I helped put two other cops in state prison and got a 3rd one fired.

That first cop should face charges of assault under color of authority. That’s a felony. It goes down hill from there.

In both instances, they need to get attorneys involved and the city fathers can just open up the old checkbook. Nothing gets public attention faster than when a city has to write a BIG check.

GarandFan on February 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM

oscarwilde on February 19, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Hey! Have you ever owned a Corvette?

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 11:00 PM

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I am sure this is easier for me to say than it is for you to do but don’t take this story personally. My criticism of undereducated people being in power covers every spectrum of our society. We have some of the most incredibly frightening teachers in the classrooms. We have administrators at government institutions (IRS) who badger citizens based on ideology. If we stop being outraged at this stuff it will only get worse.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Mistakes? No ill intent? Except for the crying female officer there seemed to be almost unlimited ill intent. Please tell me all this was actually from a news story from North Korea.

VorDaj on February 19, 2014 at 11:06 PM

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 10:49

NC Cop on February 19, 2014 at 10:28 PM

In other news, I’m off to check Gateway Pundit. Looks like I may have another favorite site now!

thirtyandseven on February 19, 2014 at 11:06 PM

When you blast an Individual who comes here for the same reason
we do, maybe you’re “doing it wrong”?

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 10:58 PM

Um, when I’m blasting the great blue wall of silence and others are defending it, I wouldn’t call that anything except a difference of opinion. We have certain things in common. Unquestioning trust of municipal cops is not one of them.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM

The Police protect and serve GOVERNMENT now.

They are NOT our friends. They are NOT our protectors. They are our oppressors.

ConstantineXI on February 19, 2014 at 10:03 PM

They know who signs their paychecks.

Money talks, duty walks.

VorDaj on February 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM

If we stop being outraged at this stuff it will only get worse.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Some of us, if by “us” you mean people who call themselves “conservative,” haven’t started with the outrage yet. And they probably won’t until it’s one of their loved ones on the receiving end of police brutality or worse.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM

As long as the majority of good cops continue to cover up for the incompetent, malicious, and crooked cops in their ranks they should not complain about being viewed with suspicion and distrust.

As long as police departments continue to serve “no-knock” warrants on the wrong addresses, or on the right address with bad information, and abuse and damage and injure persons and property without remorse, compensation, or prosecution of the violators, they should not complain about being viewed with suspicion and distrust.

Even an innocent person who talks to the police and tells them only the truth can help convict themselves if their statements conflict with those of another witness, even if that witness is honestly mistaken. The best and ONLY advice to follow is NEVER talk to the police.

Adjoran on February 19, 2014 at 11:11 PM

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Always enjoy and respect your posts..just surprised by your
reaction to NC Cop….

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 11:13 PM

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 11:09 PM

Well, it’s tough because I do believe the the majority of our first responders are good people but then I’ve know some that are bullies with an outlet. The public, regardless of their political stripe, should demand better.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 11:13 PM

If we stop being outraged at this stuff it will only get worse.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Silence in the face of evil is itself evil: God will not hold us guiltless. Not to speak is to speak. Not to act is to act. — Dietrich Bonhoeffer

VorDaj on February 19, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 11:13 PM

And yet they’re not. When stories like this hit, the first thing I wonder is, “What are these police department’s doing to ensure that travesties like this don’t happen again?” Following from that, I think soon thereafter something along the lines of “How was this allowed to happen in the first place?” These thoughts always lead me to a dark place, because I know I will not be able to rely on municipal law enforcement when shit hits the fan.

Always enjoy and respect your posts..just surprised by your
reaction to NC Cop….

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 11:13 PM

As I said upthread, I come from a podunk town of about 25,000. I think it’s only the small size of the town (and my home state) that has prevented anything happening worse than a cop shooting another cop.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 11:19 PM

VorDaj on February 19, 2014 at 11:15 PM

The weird thing is that I feel as strongly about a lot of teachers in the classroom today. Not that they are physically hurting the children but that they are robbing them of the ability to be productive adults in society. Our foundations are crumbling.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 11:19 PM

Adjoran on February 19, 2014 at 11:11 PM

You seeing a pattern here, Ad? You don’t have to talk to the cops to be brutalized by them anymore. You can film them. Legally. You can refuse to answer questions. And all these will be used against you, right or wrong. And if you’re found not guilty, or the charges are dropped after a night in the drunk tank? So what? You’ve already had the fear of God instilled in you by cops who will probably know who you are next time you cross their paths. The days of Joe Friday are over, if they ever existed.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 11:21 PM

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 11:19 PM

I live in a county that borders Jacksonville, FL and I have to say that JAX has a lot of officer involved shootings. I don’t know if it is more than average for a city of it’s size but it sure seems like a lot.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 11:21 PM

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 11:19 PM

My feelings towards Police is the same as Teachers (Cindy)
and that is, the vast majority are not only outstanding in
their professions, but outstanding human beings…

..but the bad ones need to be eradicated and punished…
unfortunately, we see more and more stories of malfeasance,
primarily, because of our electronic media….BUT, I also
think because of that same media, we are seeing more and more
of them being held accountable. IMO.

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 11:21 PM

In fairness, that’s not necessarily a reflection on the quality of law enforcement in that area. “…it sure seems like a lot” is awfully subjectve, and it may just be a high crime area. What I would find interesting, and what you’ll never pry out of the Jacksonville Police Department files, is what percentage of those officer-involved shootings occurred when the officers did not follow departmental policy. I’d bet that number is at or very close to 0%, and quite frankly, that disturbs me.

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 11:28 PM

..but the bad ones need to be eradicated and punished…
unfortunately, we see more and more stories of malfeasance,
primarily, because of our electronic media….BUT, I also
think because of that same media, we are seeing more and more
of them being held accountable. IMO.

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Really? So how many murdering or dog killing cops have been criminally charged? That’s my idea of being held aacountible. And how many “good” cops have spoken out against the bad ones in cases like these? You got a spare pair of those rose-colored glasses I could bum from you?

gryphon202 on February 19, 2014 at 11:30 PM