NBC: Young married twentysomething Olympian with a two-year-old daughter is living an “alternative lifestyle”

posted at 4:41 pm on February 19, 2014 by Allahpundit

I get why Charles Cooke and Mark Hemingway are irritated by this. Having an NBC reporter say “At such a young age, Wise has the lifestyle of an adult” about a 23-year-old man does make me feel like I’ve just woken up in some “Planet of the Apes” scenario where a race of Pajama Boys now rules the world.

But even so, I think NBC’s getting a bad rap on this one.

Not to say the rest of the freestyle skiers of halfpipe are not mature, but Wise is mature far beyond his years. At only twenty-three years old, he has a wife, Alexander, who was waiting patiently in the crowd, and together they have a two-year-old daughter waiting for them to return to their home in Reno, Nevada.

At such a young age, Wise has the lifestyle of an adult. He wears a Baby Bjorn baby carrier around the house. He also attends church regularly and says he could see himself becoming a pastor a little later down the road…

While the rest of his competitors are hanging with their friends, traveling the world searching for endless winter, hitting the party scenes accustom to their action sports lifestyles, Wise is hurrying home for quality time with the family. That is what sets his mental game apart from his competition. He likely has the most stable life of them all…

It was that ability to take himself out of the Olympic frenzy of becoming a worldwide superstar that let him, well, become just that. He did end up winning the gold, after all.

The article’s headline: “David Wise’s alternative lifestyle leads to Olympic gold.” Alternative to what, though? To Americans generally? In that case … yeah, actually, he is a little different from most of the rest of the pack. The average American man doesn’t marry these days until he’s almost 29 and he doesn’t have his first child until he’s, er, 25. Strictly speaking, Wise is unusual in assuming family responsibilities as a 23-year-old, even though that was the norm within living memory. But then, the objection here isn’t to NBC noticing that he’s a young husband and dad, it’s to them using the loaded phrase “alternative lifestyle.” We haven’t reached the point as a culture where a guy who’s several years into adulthood is some sort of fringe-dweller for having a wife and kids and believing in God, are we?

I don’t think that’s what NBC’s saying. When I read the piece, I thought they were drawing a contrast not between Wise and the general public but between Wise and the average Olympian or even the average Olympic skier. The stereotype of Olympians is that they’re consumed with training, to the exclusion of most major distractions. Wise shatters that stereotype in that he’s made it to the top of his sport while building a family in the meantime. Note the passage in the excerpt about how the rest of his competitors spend their time. That’s what the line about Wise being an “adult” was about, I thought. In fact, we’ve all read stories about the endless supply of condoms that the IOC’s obliged to provide to the Olympic village every two years, just because apparently there’s that much action happening between the Games’s many singletons. (Tinder is the app of choice this year for athletes on the make.) If, say, Ryan Lochte is what most Americans think of when they think of the “Olympic lifestyle,” then yeah, Wise is indubitably alternative. Maybe NBC was being cheeky with the headline, as a goof on how most Olympians live (or how we think they live), but I doubt there was any offense intended.

Here’s a chat with the man himself. Click the image to watch.

dw

Comments

Never miss an opportunity to bash NBC. All miscreants over there.

22044 on February 19, 2014 at 4:42 PM

Dawn of Planet of the Apes

Schadenfreude on February 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM

I can see how all those NBC’ers from the Upper East Side would think that this is the alternative.

oldroy on February 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM

If they meant between him and the other Olympians why not say that instead of alternative lifestyle…… sheesh

cmsinaz on February 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Wow, I guess I was living an alternative lifestyle before it was cool, or something. Biologically, it makes sense to start families in your early twenties.

Fallon on February 19, 2014 at 4:44 PM

Have seen this kid speak several times, great guy, well respected, and does this to provide for his family.

He deserves everything he gets in life, except for the snide comments from NBC.

right2bright on February 19, 2014 at 4:46 PM

“At such a young age, Wise has the lifestyle of an adult”

At 23 technically he IS an adult.

vityas on February 19, 2014 at 4:47 PM

At 23 technically he IS an adult.

vityas on February 19, 2014 at 4:47 PM

With a wife and family, he is an adult…and making adult wages.

right2bright on February 19, 2014 at 4:47 PM

Make the perverted, normal and the normal, perverted.

Flange on February 19, 2014 at 4:48 PM

The problem is the term “alternative lifestyle” has become synonymous with a living situation other than man, wife, and children under the same roof. It’s often used to reference gays. So when an uber left-wing network like NBC starts referring to a traditional household as an “alternative lifestyle”, it’s hard to not attribute any political undertones.

Doughboy on February 19, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Be reminded, NBC too, that the US Soldiers fight, and some die for you, from 18 on up.

Fools will never inherit the Earth but they sure ruin it.

Schadenfreude on February 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Yeah I guess in this day and age where homosexuality and other sin is openly celebrated this ‘alternative lifestyle’ is pretty different..nah forget that..this is the American lifestyle! the majority of Americans are Christians and live this lifestyle!!

sadsushi on February 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I suppose an 18 yr old soldier doing a tour in the Middle East would chuckle at their definition of “adult”.

RSbrewer on February 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Too bad Wise isn’t a Hermaphrodite..

He’d be on the cover of the next Wheaties box!

ToddPA on February 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM

“At such a young age, Wise has the lifestyle of an adult”

At 23 technically he IS an adult.

vityas on February 19, 2014 at 4:47 PM

I thought you had to be 26.

Get it?

D-fusit on February 19, 2014 at 4:50 PM

The average age of a WW2 bomber pilot was 22 because by that age you were considered a fully functional adult. Today at 23 the Libs are shocked, SHOCKED that a mere child of 23 that is living as an an adult is considered an “alternative lifestyle”.

HotAirian on February 19, 2014 at 4:50 PM

Let’s see: When I was 23, I had just finished Grad School… I had a job… paid for my own health insurance… had my own apartment… owned a car… and bought all my own groceries, without EBT. I also did my own laundry, cleaned my own place, paid my student loans… and also paid about $10,000 in state and local taxes.

And you know what? I survived. It’s called being an adult.

VastRightWingConspirator on February 19, 2014 at 4:51 PM

So ‘alternative lifestyle’ no longer means ‘gay’, it means… ‘normal’?

Midas on February 19, 2014 at 4:52 PM

I always enjoy the winter olympics. What I can’t stand are the choads at NBC; bob costas in particular. Most of the studio freaks are quite repulsive, but costas is the worst.

NBC should let Al Michaels handle all of the studio work.

jaime on February 19, 2014 at 4:53 PM

Unfortunately, that IS the alternative.

My wife and I got married first, lived in the same house second, had children third. Any more, the order of those three events seems to be a random jumble.

The Schaef on February 19, 2014 at 4:55 PM

I read the exchange twice. Except for the misuse of alternate lifestyle, that was actually a pretty glowing description of his life. I’d take that from a major network as a compliment.

hawkdriver on February 19, 2014 at 4:55 PM

But Hey, he can still be on his parents insurance, right?

portlandon on February 19, 2014 at 4:56 PM

A race of PJ boys. Breed as food for the Morlocks.

hawkdriver on February 19, 2014 at 4:57 PM

At the rate he’s going, David Wise will probably be fit enough to teach his grandchildren to ski. If not his great-grandchildren.

One advantage of marrying and having children in your 20′s is still having some energy left after they’re grown.

Steve Z on February 19, 2014 at 4:58 PM

In today’s America, not being a degenerate or parasite is a revolutionary act.

Boomslang Joe on February 19, 2014 at 4:58 PM

…has JugEars called him yet?

KOOLAID2 on February 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM

An adult that acts like an adult. Wow.

terryannonline on February 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Bred

hawkdriver on February 19, 2014 at 4:59 PM

Bread?

hawkdriver on February 19, 2014 at 5:00 PM

Click the image to watch.

Next time, could we get Matt Lauer content warning?

bettycooper on February 19, 2014 at 5:01 PM

So ‘alternative lifestyle’ no longer means ‘gay’, it means… ‘normal’?

Midas on February 19, 2014 at 4:52 PM

We’re now the gayest country in the history of the world! Yay!

/not

Ward Cleaver on February 19, 2014 at 5:01 PM

RSbrewer on February 19, 2014 at 4:49 PM

I have heard leftists complain about the military sending “our children” to battle. They definitely consider the 18 year old in the Middle East a “child” that must be rescued from the horrors of the military post-haste.

Doomberg on February 19, 2014 at 5:02 PM

Dawn of Planet of the Apes

Schadenfreude on February 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM

LOL!

Murphy9 on February 19, 2014 at 5:04 PM

Let’s get offended about every little thing. That will show how different we are from liberals.

calbear on February 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Allow me to attempt to shorten that up for you Allah.

Metrosexuals.

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I bet he’s not even on his parents health insurance plan!

gwelf on February 19, 2014 at 5:06 PM

It’s alternative because he’s supposed to ditch her to go worship Jeezus which will cause her to get an abortion and then work for Planned Parenthood the rest of her life for minimum wage on subsidized Obamacare.

Of course.

Nethicus on February 19, 2014 at 5:07 PM

VastRightWingConspirator on February 19, 2014 at 4:51 PM

OMG, that is just, like, so weird…..

Ya, let’s see, at 23 I had graduated from college, was an Air Force 2Lt assigned to Cheyenne Mountain, bought my first house, bought my own car(s), paid all my own expenses with no gubmint welfare help (military paycheck though).
I just didn’t realize that was an “alternate lifestyle”.

dentarthurdent on February 19, 2014 at 5:08 PM

“alternate lifestyle”.

dentarthurdent on February 19, 2014 at 5:08 PM

Yeah, I’m not getting that at all. Did you resolve the better halfs problem logging in?

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM

From the Hot Air and Allahpundit style book and rule of thumb:
“Always give your enemies the benefit of the doubt”.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM

So ‘alternative lifestyle’ no longer means ‘gay’, it means… ‘normal’?

Midas on February 19, 2014 at 4:52 PM

That’s how I read it, too.

Fallon on February 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM

How much kool-aid do they have to consume to fully believe their own bullshit?

nobar on February 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM

A storyline that gives us all hope and makes us all smile – I HOPE

jake-the-goose on February 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM

I came in late on his event, and the commentators were talking about his little daughter. My immediate assumption, based on him being a skier, was to assume this was an illegitimate baby he got custody of from an irresponsible baby mama.

juliesa on February 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM

That’s how I read it, too.

Fallon on February 19, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Not sure what I qualify as now ?!?!

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM

We are in “Bearded Spock” alternative universe realm now.

portlandon on February 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM

At such a young age, Wise has the lifestyle of an adult.

Why not. We treat them like children, even though they’re allowed to vote.

GarandFan on February 19, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Not really crazy about those average ages for married and children. Why is it so hard to get married first?

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 5:09 PM

Nope. She never got in and we never got ANY response (none, nada, zip) from HA staff to any of our multiple queries about it.

dentarthurdent on February 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM

As if that anyone in that group of Nancys could ride a horse or throw a net to save their lives…

Kensington on February 19, 2014 at 5:16 PM

Well, at best NBC is tone deaf and clueless. Which is the norm for the media in this country.

So I guess, the real issue is how far we set the bar now for the media that is supposed to be dotted-line, unofficial part of a functioning democracy.

On that they fail, miserably. To the point that a fairly normal lifestyle is referred to as “alternative”. Consider the audience. Maybe for the other dozen olympic skiers, or the 100-200 olympic athletes, his lifestyle is “alternative”, but to the viewing audience at home ? Decidedly NOT alternative.

deadrody on February 19, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I don’t see why it is so hard either.

Then you have guys complaining about paying child support or baby mama’s wanting to know why they haven’t received their child support yet. Well if you had waited to get married to have children….that wouldn’t be an issue.

terryannonline on February 19, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Since when is 23 NOT an adult? If you go through college in four years, you’re out by 22! What is up with this permanent childhood thing? It leads to a lot of people living in Mom’s basement forever. And why would NBC make this sound like it’s not something to aspire to? No wonder the stable family is crumbling. It’s like they are purposely cheering on its demise.

UnderstandingisPower on February 19, 2014 at 5:20 PM

dentarthurdent on February 19, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Ed wouldn’t fix it? Hmmm…..He’s about had his fill of me emailing him I presume. Otherwise I’d drop him a note. That’s just not right. We had both mentioned it to him the day previous. Maybe email him one more time?

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 5:13 PM

That’s just not normal any more.
My younger brother had 2 kids before he and baby-momma got married, then they were divorced 6 months later. Now with wife #3 and has 3 kids from 2 different moms.

Whereas I lived the weird “alternative lifestyle” – waited til after college for both of us, and stable job situations, then got married, then had our first kid 2 years later. 26th anniversary this year, and the kids are grown and out of the house and gainfully employed on their own. Just totally bizarre, huh?

dentarthurdent on February 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM

Lee Harvey Oswald was 24 when he whacked JFK.

Had a Rooskie wife and a kid, too.

50 years later he’d still be eligible to be on Mama Margarite’s health insurance plan.

Strange times we live in.

Strange times.

Bruno Strozek on February 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I’ve tried several times. My wife has given up now – waiting for next open reg and try again.

dentarthurdent on February 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 5:20 PM

dentarthurdent on February 19, 2014 at 5:23 PM

She now thinks HA is rigged to only allow the people they want in….

dentarthurdent on February 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM

dentarthurdent on February 19, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Lolz! HeIIfire if that was the case they’d of never let me near the joint. Tell her I said no, that’s not it. ; )

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 5:28 PM

We are Ack bazzwards and through the looking glass.

I never realized that my 22 year marriage was an “alternate” lifestyle.

melle1228 on February 19, 2014 at 5:29 PM

dentarthurdent on February 19, 2014 at 5:22 PM

You’re a veritable desperado.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 5:30 PM

calbear on February 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Whose offended? Most of us just our stumped that a responsible adult who married his baby mama before they had a baby is considered an “alternate” lifestyle.

melle1228 on February 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM

But can he write cowboy poetry?

307wolverine on February 19, 2014 at 5:32 PM

You’re a veritable desperado.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 5:30 PM

I like that ! I want to be a veritable desperado. ; )

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM

When perversion and irresponsibility are the norm, then living a responsible ADULT life (i.e. traditional, responsible, knowing who your kids are, who their mother is, and how many you have) is indeed the alternative.

America. Upside down. Right is wrong, wrong is right.

xNavigator on February 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM

calbear on February 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Who’s offended? It’s hysterical. These are paid journalist with the world of technology at their finger tips (thesaurus) and “alternative” was what they came up with.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 5:41 PM

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 5:37 PM

I’m pretty sure you are there. Along with Renaissance man.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Could be some a reading too much into this.

Anybody that is in the Olympics has an alternative lifestyle compared to the average person.

albill on February 19, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Well not only does this “adult” have an alternate lifestyle his parents do as well. I found out yesterday they attend the same church I go to and are still together. He apparently is close friends with the youth pastor. Oh the humanity. He also went to the same high school I did and his former coach says he is a good guy.

CW20 on February 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM

CW20 on February 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM

Sounds like a great kid and family, but I hope not “alternative” at all. I’d like to think that this is still the majority of America. Despite the wording, I’m glad to know more about him, another American we are proud of.

Cindy Munford on February 19, 2014 at 5:56 PM

Man.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 19, 2014 at 6:04 PM

At the age of 23, I witnessed my first child born a week before my first anniversary. Oh the horror.

calbear on February 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM

I’m a newbie and I’m already starting to get bored with you.

UnstChem on February 19, 2014 at 6:06 PM

calbear on February 19, 2014 at 5:05 PM

Either you didn’t bother to read the post or I don’t understand what the heck you’re saying.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 19, 2014 at 6:07 PM

I was 22 when we had our second. I had no idea we were living an alternate lifestyle back then.

DanMan on February 19, 2014 at 6:09 PM

DanMan on February 19, 2014 at 6:09 PM

My dad had two by 21 and my father-in-law by 17.

besser tot als rot on February 19, 2014 at 6:13 PM

I’m not sure why this is news. NBC, the parent of MSNBC, thinks that being stable at 23 is some “alternative” lifestyle? I am not surprised, because they’ve never heard of such a thing, and know absolutely nobody who actually lives this way. That shouldn’t be news, especially to HA regulars.

DublOh7 on February 19, 2014 at 6:16 PM

An alternative lifestyle is that of a 61 year old midget with blood red eyes hosting the Olympics show each evening for NBC…LOL.

d1carter on February 19, 2014 at 6:29 PM

Poor NBC. Don’t know when adjuuuulthood starts.

I’m joining in with the rest of the crowd. At 23, I thought I was a regular grownup with one child and another on the way. Had already quit my Top Secret security cleared G-4 job at the local munition plant…..the only plant in the nation of it’s type. Guess the FBI didn’t know I was leading an alternative lifestyle. And, I didn’t have a clue, either.

Nor, did all the others my same age working there, I suspect.
(@_@)

avagreen on February 19, 2014 at 6:30 PM

*GS-4

avagreen on February 19, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Teen Mom and single: Accepted

Adult Mom and married: Wuhhhhhhh??1?!!?1?

Xanatos90 on February 19, 2014 at 6:37 PM

We are in “Bearded Spock” alternative universe realm now.
portlandon on February 19, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Nailed it.

Marcola on February 19, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Hey, let’s get Philip Rivers on with one of these ‘unbiased journalists’ for a round of criticism of the size of his family, all with the same woman…

…while we ignore people like Adrian Peterson, who has somewhere between five and seven kids, with different mothers, one of whom was killed by the mother’s OTHER boyfriend, and who apparently is just a great role model for today’s youth.

:boggle:

xNavigator on February 19, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I agree that the comparison was with other Olympians, but that still doesn’t excuse calling his an alternative lifestyle. Are most Olympians gay? If they’re not, and the story was about an athlete married to his or her “partner” instead, think they’d refer to that as alternative?

changer1701 on February 19, 2014 at 7:03 PM

I guess there is something wrong with a 23 year old making a life for himself and not being a mooch in his parent’s basement. My husband I moved out at 18, married at 19, and have been married over twenty years with three kids. But, then again, we’re just freaks of nature.

TXMomof3 on February 19, 2014 at 7:19 PM

“Alternative” to the unwed single mother of three working a minimum wage job, living on food stamps and getting free health care courtesy of the rest of us.

You know, NBC’s raison d’être.

somewhatconcerned on February 19, 2014 at 7:31 PM

They say “alternate lifestyle” but to the ‘enlightened liberal” mind it might as well be an alternate universe because it is certainly an alternate reality to the one liberals have built in their heads.

ghostwalker1 on February 19, 2014 at 7:52 PM

CW20 on February 19, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I laughed till I fell off my chair. Oh the humanity! lololol

mollymack on February 19, 2014 at 8:01 PM

His wife looks like she is 12 years old. I’m sure she is not really that young. They are a cute couple.

rlwo2008 on February 19, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Correct headline:

“David Wise’s traditional lifestyle leads to Olympic gold.”

But NBC has become the network which refuses to risk offense to any EXCEPT those with traditional values.

They are also the network who worships the Communist host nation, now matter how corrupt, how badly they treat their people, or how poorly they actually perform.

Watching any judged event, the NBC commentators have been tearing apart the tiniest flaw in any American competitor’s performance, while utterly gushing over any Russian, only going silent when the Russians made mistakes, or when an American was flawless. The bias from fear is so obvious it’s sickening.

Get a spine, NBC.

Freelancer on February 19, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I find it interesting that Obamacare doesn’t consider you an adult until 26 (actually your 27th birthday).

Tater Salad on February 20, 2014 at 12:17 AM

It’s just easier for NBC to consider him having an “alternate lifestyle” vice calling all the other snowboarder Olympians hedonistic, shallow over-aged juveniles.

katiejane on February 20, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Dawn of Planet of the Apes dupes.

Schadenfreude on February 19, 2014 at 4:43 PM

FIFY.

Quartermaster on February 20, 2014 at 9:06 AM

Russell Wilson also has an alternative lifestyle of being married, responsible and Christian.

“Wilson married his long-time girlfriend Ashton Meem on January 14, 2012 in Richmond, Virginia.[22] They have three dogs: a beagle, Penny, a dachshund, Cali, and a Great Dane named Prince.[94]

Wilson became a devout Christian at age 14 when he said he saw Jesus in a dream.[95][96] Wilson often references his faith in press conferences and interviews. He also posts daily Bible verses on his Twitter feed.[97]“

exliberal on February 20, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Pretty much all the NBC commentary on the Olympics is garbage. My wife is getting tired of me yelling at the TV while we watch the Olympics over their oratorical vomit. Especially their fawning over other nations athletes, most especially the Ruskies, while being overly critical of ours. Of course with these media morons, it is never “our team”, but “the Amerikans”.

earlgrey on February 20, 2014 at 4:43 PM