Democrats stuck in stage 3 of ObamaCare grief?

posted at 10:41 am on February 19, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Elisabeth Kübler-Ross once proposed that people go through five stages of grief after a loss. The first time I’d ever heard of this was in the film All That Jazz, where the late Cliff Gorman does a stand-up routine based on the theory, although calling it the five stages of death rather than grief (NSFW):

National Journal’s Josh Kraushaar takes this concept and applies it to politics, specifically in the case of Democrats who are struggling to come to terms with the disaster of ObamaCare. Kraushaar argues that Democrats are in stage 3 on the Kübler-Ross scale, bargaining that voters will want them to stay in office to fix the problems revealed in the disastrous rollout of the Affordable Care Act. However, even that sounds like stage 1 – denial:

Indeed, in a sign that Democrats are stuck in neutral on their Obamacare messaging, the “news” from the memo is months old. The strategy devised by the sharpest party operatives has already been in effect in numerous ads across the country and was promoted by the party’s top strategists two months ago. In those targeted races, public polling has shown Democratic standing worsening where the on-air Obamacare debate has already begun. (See: Landrieu, Mary; Hagan, Kay.)

The main reason 2014 is different than 2012 isn’t the quality of the messaging. It’s that the law is now a reality affecting millions of Americans—and more don’t like the changes. The most important test on the ultimate success of the health care law will be whether voters think they’re getting a better deal out of the law than not. And all available evidence, from polling to the government’s cherry-picked enrollment data, suggests that supporters face a tough challenge making the sell.

The actual number of Americans who gained insurance through the law is much lower than the 3.3 million the White House is claiming. The numbers released by the Health and Human Services Department include many people with insurance who were forced out of their previous individual market plans onto the Obamacare exchanges. It also includes those who signed up but never paid for insurance—which makes up about one-fifth of those enrollees, according to a New York Times analysis.

For a crystal-clear sign of the political woes Obamacare faces, look no further than the ad the Democratic House Majority PAC is airing in a majority-Hispanic south Florida district that Obama carried twice. The seat, represented by freshman Rep. Joe Garcia, is one of a small handful in the country that gave Obama a larger share of the vote in 2012 than in 2008—he won 53 percent last election. It’s also one of the media markets where the Obama presidential campaign spent millions of dollars in Spanish-language ads praising the law in unequivocal terms.

This new ad, as part of the damage control, contains no such accolades. It promotes how Garcia “took the White House to task,” referencing its “disastrous” health care website. Like its counterparts, it argues Garcia wants to fix the broken law. Democratic strategists said that outside of the most liberal precincts, they can’t persuade people of the law’s benefits until they acknowledge its problems first.

Indeed. The problem is that the disruption still far exceeds the benefits, and according to the CBO, always will — as 30 million will still be uninsured at the end of the program’s first decade anyway. In the meantime, the impact of the program produces outcomes like this one highlighted by Americans for Prosperity.  Julie Boonstra had satisfactory health insurance and coverage for her medications treating leukemia, until ObamaCare forced her out of her plan despite Barack Obama’s promise:

Americans for Prosperity, a conservative tax-exempt organization, has a new 60-second television ad running in Michigan that criticizes Democratic congressman Gary Peters for his vote and continued support of Obamacare. The ad features Michigan citizen Julie Boonstra, who describes how she was diagnosed with leukemia but lost her health insurance coverage this year because of Obamacare’s regulations.

“I was doing fairly well fighting the cancer, fighting the leukemia, and then I received a letter. My insurance was canceled because of Obamacare,” says Boonstra. “Now, the out-of-pocket costs are so high, it’s unaffordable. If I do not receive my medication, I will die. I believed the president. I believed I could keep my health insurance plan. I feel lied to.”

Democrats shoved ObamaCare through Congress over the opposition of a majority of Americans largely by offering anecdotal arguments. That ground has shifted now that the impact of the ACA is being felt in reality, rather than hailed in theory.  There will be many more stories such as Boonstra’s, and Democrats who think they can defend themselves by saying they waggled a finger at incompetence aren’t in the bargaining stage. They’re in sheer denial.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Coming up next, single payer…

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM

They don’t really care if it works because the plan all along was a lead up to single payer. If we don’t repeal it that’s what we will have in 10 years.

jhffmn on February 19, 2014 at 10:47 AM

No whining…… I have no empathy for these Obama voters who felt lied to……they followed the pied piper…

cmsinaz on February 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM

They’re still stuck in the stage all of them are stuck in since they declared themselves liberal: “Delusional”.

Sadly there are no more stages.

Bishop on February 19, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Coming up next, single payer…

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Yeah, more people like Julie Boonstra will be screwed with single payer.
Once the government really takes over a sector then you have no recourse.
Only the rich and well connected with DC will benefit.
The peasants will have to get on their knees and suck it.
Knee pads anyone?

redguy on February 19, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Most of them will remain “stuck” there indefinitely.

The only way out, is to admit you were wrong.

listens2glenn on February 19, 2014 at 10:53 AM

And they’re doing everything possible to delay any provision of the law they can until after the election in November.

BacaDog on February 19, 2014 at 10:56 AM

And still congress does nothing. They are also in denial. They think it will die on its own. That is not a winning strategy because the longer something like that exists the more entrenched it becomes and then it will be impossible no matter how bad it is.

crankyoldlady on February 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Just get to the death stage already.

de rigueur on February 19, 2014 at 10:58 AM

You feel lied to?!!? You were lied to, dumbass, and we all told ya so!!!!

ladyingray on February 19, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Magic Johnson was in my town this week, pushing ObamaCare hard. They’ve also enlisted the food bank as navigators. So Magic’s on local TV, recalling the story of the boy with an infected tooth, and his mother didn’t take him to the dentist, and so the infection went into his brain and killed him, and how we can avoid that with ObamaCare. I didn’t even know ObamaCare covered dental. Honestly, now I don’t know. I’m not going to take to heart what Magic Johnson says about ObamaCare.

LashRambo on February 19, 2014 at 11:00 AM

Real people will die because of Obamacare. That these Dems are more concerned about this failed mess than the lives that will be lost because of it speaks volumes.

neyney on February 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM

And without a single Republican vote.

Keep repeating that.

Del Dolemonte on February 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Video fixed.

Ed Morrissey on February 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Coming up next, single payer…

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Probably from the Republicans as a “fix” to Obamacare. Once they take the Senate and hold he House, they can compromise with Obama to give us amnesty, single payer, and all kinds of other goodies.

besser tot als rot on February 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Politicians in general and Democrats in particular are all about the next election. Just think up a line of BS that the idiots will buy so they’ll re-elect me, else I’ll have to dip into my slush fund to pay a lot of street people to put me over the top. Solving problems? Don’t make me laugh, none of these idiots could get out of a wet paper bag. Serving the public? Yeah, as a meal to cannibals. It’s all about, as Mel Brooks once said, “saving our phoney-baloney jobs.”

Marxism is for dummies on February 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM

On foreign policy too

A leftist cow on Faux “Hillary made the rest of the world respect us again, after GWB put us in the toilet..”. Martha, yes, that goofball…clock right once a day, “name one country which respects us more” “Uh, ohhhh, ahhhhh…she traveled a lot”. As Krauthammer said yesterday “so did Marco Polo”.

Schadenfreude on February 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM

The cure for this bill?
The TOBASH treatment..
Take
Out
Back
And
Shoot (in)
Head.

Doc Holliday on February 19, 2014 at 11:05 AM

OK, here’s my answer:

ObamaCare will change the American healthcare marketplace in unintended ways. It will have notable impact on the dental field, through mandated pedodontic coverage. Few people enjoy visiting the dentist; however, dental care may become more problematic. Within a few years, private dental care with a trusted and known practitioner may be limited.

Pedodontic, i.e., children’s dental. No way THAT’S ever going to be taken away, for fear of being accused of wanting Bobby’s brain to rot away from a tooth infection.

LashRambo on February 19, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Marxism is for dummies on February 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM

“Democrats in particular?” No way. They are pee wee league compared to the professionals in the GOP.

besser tot als rot on February 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM

“I believed the president. I believed I could keep my health insurance plan. I feel lied to.”

Sad to say but this lady may literally die as a result of her vote. She may literally have voted herself to a painful death.

HotAirian on February 19, 2014 at 11:08 AM

So much pain and so much cost, all to achieve…..exactly nothing.

Bitter Clinger on February 19, 2014 at 11:09 AM

cmsinaz on February 19, 2014 at 10:48 AM

+1…and…like OC said!

KOOLAID2 on February 19, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Video fixed.

Ed Morrissey on February 19, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Thanks Ed. Oh, and this woman should have her own TV show – “How I was lied to and still can’t blame the guy that lied to me”.

VegasRick on February 19, 2014 at 11:11 AM

…war on women!…nothing!…these Democrats…are killing people!

KOOLAID2 on February 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM

…come on trolls!

KOOLAID2 on February 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM

257 days until Nov 4th. Clock’s ticking……

Renee on February 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM

Obama meant well…

Electrongod on February 19, 2014 at 11:13 AM

The needs of the Many, outweigh the needs of the few.

-Libfreeordie

portlandon on February 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM

…come on trolls!

KOOLAID2 on February 19, 2014 at 11:12 AM

Oh, that’s too easy. “The good of the many out weighs the needs of the one.” -your average lib troll.

ClownsToTheLeftOfMe on February 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM

“Take a pill, Julie”
/Obama

Bitter Clinger on February 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM

portlandon on February 19, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Beat me too it, and better. :-)

ClownsToTheLeftOfMe on February 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Sarah Palin warned you honey.

VegasRick on February 19, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Or, beat me to it. Should not try to type with a cold.

ClownsToTheLeftOfMe on February 19, 2014 at 11:16 AM

Or, beat me to it. Should not try to type with a cold.

ClownsToTheLeftOfMe on February 19, 2014 at 11:16 AM

You’re better off using your fingers.

VegasRick on February 19, 2014 at 11:19 AM

Why did I flash on Jon Lovitz and John Lithgow doing the “three stages of dying” on Master Thespian just now. In case you’ve forgotten they are:

1 Denial – No!
2 Realization – Oh my God! I’m dying!
3 Acceptance – Thank you ladies and gentlemen of the Academy!

Can’t find a video clip but I’m sure it’s out there somewhere.

Rufus on February 19, 2014 at 11:20 AM

This whole thing reminds me of that episode of “The Simpsons” where Bart takes over Kamp Krusty in full “Lord of the Flies” mode, and in the end, when all hell breaks loose, order breaks down, and the only thing that can restore order is a very reluctant Krusty, Bart is reduced to rocking back and forth, muttering over and over again, “Krusty is coming, Krusty is coming, Krusty is coming…”

Bart knew Krusty was a fraud, but didn’t want to believe it. He had FAITH. Just like Obama voters. They know he’s a fraud, and they know Obamacare is a fraud, but they don’t want to believe it.

It’s gonna get bad for them, and the crash is gonna hurt.

dinahmoehumm on February 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM

I agree. And while we’re at it, let’s allow Johnny Friendly clean up his local union.

BuckeyeSam on February 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Whole lot of trolls here defending I see. Their absence speaks volumes.

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Here trolls, a little gas for the fire.

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

VegasRick on February 19, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Well it’s never Obungle’s fault. She will probably go out and vote for the Democrats again. People like that deserve what they get. The trouble is people like that have denied health care to others who don’t.

crankyoldlady on February 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM

So much pain and so much cost, all to achieve…..exactly nothing.

Bitter Clinger on February 19, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I have to disagree. Their goal was to put more power in the hands of the government. That is what fascists want. That is what fascists always want. They have unfortunately achieved that.

If anyone thinks that any of these fascists care about this woman or anyone else hurt by Obamacare they are foolish indeed. To them this woman is collateral damage…an acceptable casualty in their war for dominance.

Micah68 on February 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Oh and GOPe remember Ted Cruz? What? You’d rather forget his last ditch effort. Fools, made up perfect to drown on your way to starving.

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM

The bargaining will begin next year when what’s left of the Dims beg the GOP to override Zero’s repeated vetoes of a repeal of Zerokare. They’re are not going to want this on their plate in 2016. It will be much worse then. I’m just hoping that Ted Cruz gets to extract the pain, from the Dims and the RINOs

rik on February 19, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Wow. We need for Democrats to come to their senses; they are really and truly killing people now. How about the children who once were patients at Seattle Children’s Hospital? They too are fighting terrible cancers and the only place they can be treated is in many cases SCH and, yet, ObamaCare still won’t cover those treatments.

Democrats are evil.

MTF on February 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM

crankyoldlady on February 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM

“Americans for Prosperity, a conservative tax-exempt organization, has a new 60-second television ad running in Michigan that criticizes Democratic congressman Gary Peters for his vote and continued support of Obamacare.”

She blames gary peters.

VegasRick on February 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM

She blames gary peters.

VegasRick on February 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Good. If there was any chance there would be an honest election there it might help.

crankyoldlady on February 19, 2014 at 11:31 AM

The five stages of grief are garbage, and so is Obamacare. ‘Nuff said.

Shump on February 19, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Sorry Sweetie, but elections have consequences.

GarandFan on February 19, 2014 at 11:32 AM

The Obamacare…that ate the trolls!

22044 on February 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM

I’ve got news for you — they’re never leaving Stage 3.

rrpjr on February 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM

crankyoldlady on February 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Most likely wrong, but my feeling is that Establishmet RINOs like using The ACA as their “abortion”, “gay marriage”, “war on women”, “amnesty” issue against the Democrats. Take the political stick of The ACA away and what do the RINOs have to run on?

HonestLib on February 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM

She blames gary peters.

VegasRick on February 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM

So do I. Along with every other Democrat, Obama included. I lived in Peters’ district until he got re-districted out. I did everything I could to get rid of that parasite and still he got reelected. Thankfully, he is not my congressfiend anymore. Of course, he’s running for Levin’s Senatorial seat now. . ..

ClownsToTheLeftOfMe on February 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM

dinahmoehumm on February 19, 2014 at 11:21 AM

Most barky voters just hate America and are glad that he’s been screwing this society over. They think we deserve the pain and Barky is their retarded instrument of destruction. The fact that Barky is such an inept boob makes them even hotter as it adds insult to injury.

Don’t kid yourself, no one voted for Barky or supports anything about him unless they hate America and everything that has even the slightest hint of Americana to it. They are happy with everything that’s going on. They want even more pain and chaos for us, brought on by their third-world, brain-dead boob.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 19, 2014 at 11:40 AM

The Obamacare…that ate the trolls!

22044 on February 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM

LOL!

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 19, 2014 at 11:42 AM

In theory, practice is exactly like theory; in practice, it’s different.

tngmv on February 19, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Here trolls, a little gas for the fire.

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Formated:

Fourth Georgia hospital closes due to Obamacare payment cuts
The fourth Georgia hospital in two years is closing its doors due to severe financial difficulties caused by Obamacare’s payment cuts for emergency services.

The Lower Oconee Community Hospital is, for now, a critical access hospital in southeastern Georgia that holds 25 beds. The hospital is suffering from serious cash-flow problems, largely due to the area’s 23 percent uninsured population, and hopes to reopen as “some kind of urgent care center,” CEO Karen O’Neal said.

Many hospitals in the 25 states that rejected the Medicaid expansion are facing similar financial problems. Liberal administration ally Think Progress has already faulted Georgia for not expanding Medicaid as Obamacare envisioned.

DinaRehn on February 19, 2014 at 11:42 AM

The stage you need to be the most worried about is the last one: Acceptance.

Believe me, I know all about third-world, government-run healthcare. Nothing is sadder than sitting for nine hours in a waiting room to hear that the only specialist in the whole place is not coming in today. Except watching people sigh and say bitterly, “Oh, well. What can I do?”

JoseQuinones on February 19, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Coming up next, single payer…

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM

No, coming up next is the Republican replacement, which will be bad enough.

rickv404 on February 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM

I feel sorry for the patient–just a little. But she had her own level of denial as she and the rest of the Ocare supporters were warned over and over again by just about everyone who is not a democrat or syncophant (I’m looking at you, MSM) that this was going to happen. It’s like warning someone to look both ways before crossing the street only to watch them walk blindly into traffic. Sorry you’re hurt, but we warned you repetitively.
As for the democrats, there are not words to describe my contempt. May this break your party and may you all be thrown out of a job and forced onto Ocare. We warned you too, fools.

Doc Holliday on February 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM

Obama lies,
Citizens without health care die.

albill on February 19, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Coming up next, single payer…

OmahaConservative on February 19, 2014 at 10:43 AM

besser tot als rot on February 19, 2014 at 11:04 AM

They should know that if they take those steps, they will be complicate in the national socialist left’s treason of liberty and it will be the death of the Gutless Old Party.

DinaRehn on February 19, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I hate to be too severe on my own sex but I wonder if Ms.Boonstra has the same faith in used car salesmen. I feel sorry for her but sheesh!

PriscillaMS on February 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Let’s say I run a business and a competitor steals so many of my customers that I am on the verge of bankruptcy. Also, let’s assume that my competitor steals enough of my customers through shady business practices. Heck, those practices may be immoral or illegal, but for many reasons I can’t sue. Also, because of false advertising by the competitor I am not picking up enough new customers to stay in business. What do I do? Yea, that‘s the ticket…..I call those customers I need back names. I disparage them daily because of my frustration of losing them. Heck, even if I win some back and am barely able to stay in business I will still remind them of how dumb they are and their apparent hatred of my company in the past.

Been in business for over 20 years and I don’t know how to make that work. Conservative principles will work, as I have seen them work in real life, but not with the message I see from many good folks on this site. I ain’t trolling, and I usually am more comfortable beating up our side so maybe I should butt out. By the way, the above did happen to me and I am doing just fine in my business. Yep, it was a lot of hard work, but in the end I WON and the competitor is out of business. I just had to work 200% harder, but hey, life ain’t fair.

HonestLib on February 19, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Members of the ELITE can’t admit failure.

Democrats assume that they are smarter than you and me, thus if their “signature plan” is a failure, they are admitting that they aren’t really smarter.

And besides, the media will cover any lie they tell. So what does it matter?

CrazyGene on February 19, 2014 at 11:58 AM

Another racist political ad attacking Obamacare. Don’t worry, Eric Cantor will fix it with his new single payer healthcare bill (called Fix Healthcare now) with its hidden amendment to grant amnesty for millions.

Brock Robamney on February 19, 2014 at 11:59 AM

22044 on February 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Ain’t it the truth! ; )

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 12:01 PM

HonestLib on February 19, 2014 at 11:57 AM

I enjoy reading your comments. I just wanted to say that.

22044 on February 19, 2014 at 12:03 PM

The final stage is death, right? Die Democrats.

Mason on February 19, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Leftist women and the stupidest creatures on Earth.

Schadenfreude on February 19, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Traditional Americans are hungry for a leader to coalesce the anger that is boiling up to the surface. Our country is being pillaged, and our supposed Republican leaders continue to do nothing.

GaltBlvnAtty on February 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Obama lied, patients died.

How we take back the Senate.

Steve Z on February 19, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Won’t make one lick of difference because 40%+ of the US public are going to vote for Democrats in perpetuity…it doesn’t matter in the least how badly Democrats screw up the country.

At the same time, the Republican party continues to look for every single opportunity they can find to spit in the face of and insult the segment of the population that should be their base – ie., those who believe in hard work and self-reliance, limited govt and Constitutional adherence – all in their ridiculous effort to appeal to the 20% of the population who are “moderates” and “independents”. You know who half the “moderates” and “independents” are? – Democrats who are ashamed to admit that they’re Democrats because they actually have enough gray matter to understand how ridiculous the Democrat party is. Yet come election day, off they go to pull the red lever every time.

Yeah, but who’s going to see those stories? Because they’re not going to be on any of the news networks or in any of the major newspapers. Why? Because while the US news media absolutely salivates over publishing human-interest stories that paint Republicans in a bad light, they will do no such thing to Democrats. IOW: those stories are going to be in political ads that no on pays attention.

The American public has become utterly apathetic and complacent…and apathy and complacency cannot be countered with the mealy-mouthed, milquetoast approach that the current Republican party power structure hobbles along with.

We need Republicans who are willing to tell the truth to the American people by calling the Democrats out for the liars and thieves that they are – consistently, all the time. They need to call out out the Democrats for their endless subject changing…blame shifting…excuse making…and on and on and on. Everytime a Democrat appears on a split-screen with a Republican, they need to be scared sh!tless that they’re about to be called out as a lying, ignorant fool on national television.

Unless the Republican party grows a spine, stops insulting the half of the population who want no parts of the “transforming” of America, and remembers the principles it’s supposed to be upholding, I wouldn’t lose any sleep if I was a part of the Democrat power structure. The “march through the institutions” will continue unabated.

rvastar on February 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Obamacare is a death sentence to many. How sad that it is nothing but politics to our politicians.

lea on February 19, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Leftist women and the stupidest creatures on Earth.

Schadenfreude on February 19, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Ain’t that the truth.

Embrace the suck, liberals. And when the time comes sooner than expected..embrace the light.

HumpBot Salvation on February 19, 2014 at 12:39 PM

rvastar on February 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Nicely stated.

GaltBlvnAtty on February 19, 2014 at 12:45 PM

That ground has shifted now that the impact of the ACA is being felt in reality, rather than hailed in theory. There will be many more stories such as Boonstra’s, and Democrats who think they can defend themselves by saying they waggled a finger at incompetence aren’t in the bargaining stage. They’re in sheer denial.

Not only are they in denial, they are utterly stunned that their vision and agenda, which they consider works perfectly in theory, is a complete and utter EpicClusterFark in reality.

The only thing that is keeping them going is the belief that regardless of the disaster, it’s inevitable…it cannot be undone…and they’ve managed to achieve and lock into place the seizure of 1/6th of the national economy even if doing so will ultimately kill not only that 1/6th of the economy, but other large swaths of it. (Which brings along another win – more government expansion of the welfare state, more dependency on the progressive government, which feeds and encourages more progressive governments in a cycle of expanding statism.)

Athos on February 19, 2014 at 12:46 PM

I can’t even begin to understand the argument that the government’s abject failure to manage and control the gateway to healthcare is evidence that they should be entrusted to take over the entire system. Good luck trying to sell that to anyone with an IQ above double digits.

Paperclips on February 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM

A few years ago author Amity Shlaes wrote a book called The Forgotten Man, about the Great Depression. In it she mentioned that nobody ever talked about “The Forgotten Man,” or the person who always got stuck with the bill for all of the hyper-expensive social welfare programs created by liberals. Well, now you’re seeing who is getting stuck with the bill for Obamacare.

It’s not going to be the wealthy “one percent.” Nope, they’ll always have money to pay for good insurance. It’s going to be poor saps like you and me and Julie Boonstra, the lady in the video who got screwed by Obamacare and could end up paying for it with her life. And what of the people who don’t qualify for subsidies but now have to deal with higher co-pays, higher premiums, and higher deductibles? “Spread the wealth,” baby, that’s the refrain from the liberals. And if you and me should go broke in the process, well, you have to break a few eggs to make an omelet, right?

So what do Democrats say to people like Boonstra? Do they say “You died for the greater good, so that a lot of poor low-information voters and freeloaders could get free health insurance so that they would keep voting for the Democratic Party?” Or do they just say, “Stinks to be you!” Given how Obama and his gang of minions rammed this horror through Congress, I would think it’s the latter.

November 2014 is coming. Make it count. Do something about it and make every single Democrat that voted for Obamacare regret the day they even heard of it. Vote and get every other breathing human being you can find to vote with you. Make 2010 look like a “good year” for the Democrats. It’s the only way they will ever listen to you.

Libertyship46 on February 19, 2014 at 1:04 PM

rvastar on February 19, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Usually it is easier to get to the top; than to stay at the top. With the current Republican leadership, it is way too easy for the Democrats on a national level to stay on top. Sure the deck is stacked against Republicans and I have no need to list them as you guys cover them well on this site.

On one hand I can point out that the Democrats have 257 electoral votes locked up and the Republicans have 206 in the bag, with the winner needing 270. The swing states and EC votes up for grabs are Fa. 29, Oh 18, Va. 13, Nv. 11, Co. 9. Yes the chances of winning are slim.

On the other hand I can point out that Republicans ran a terrible campaign and lost the swing states by less than a million votes. I see a path to victory. Heck, hire me as I can do as bad as the last batch of professionals did for a lot less money, time, and grief!

Only point I will disagree with you on is sell your message to 100% of America. Trust me on this. Conservatism, if sold correctly, can win 5% of the other 50% you speak of. In Presidential elections winning is what counts, not the margin of victory. To you guys conservatism is like believing water is wet, but to many others it is a concept that must be taught. Start fighting today and attack your opponents. Be relentless. Don’t give up. Sell your message. Tell the truth. Present your vision to all of America. President Reagan and Clinton knew how to sell their message to the other side. Learn from winners……even lessons can be learned from President Obama. Make me, as a liberal, give pause to who I will vote for in 2016. You will never get my vote without earning it. Is this fair? Heck, life ain’t fair.

HonestLib on February 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Paperclips on February 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Problem is, enough of the electorate is apparently below double digits, and therefore won’t be difficult in selling them at all.

By the way, does you nickname have anything to do with the ‘paperclips’ holocaust project undertaken by a middle school in Tennessee several years back?

Midas on February 19, 2014 at 1:12 PM

Strong ad.

However, it can be stronger by having her get a little choked up and sob a little.

“I trusted the President and Mr. Peters….and…now what am I gonna do..

WHAT AM I GONNA DO?”

KirknBurker on February 19, 2014 at 1:23 PM

Paperclips on February 19, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Midas on February 19, 2014 at 1:12 PM

No, it’s just a random thing I cam up with awhile back and I use it various places. Usually I use Paperclip but that was taken. Odd though, I’ve never seen anyone with that name posting here.

Paperclips on February 19, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I don’t know if I would blame the GOP establishment for not “turning on a dime” since past history had largely taught them that the country has always had, for the past 80 years, a progressive moving society. It may have slowed at times and sped up at times, but the movement was inexorable.

It was largely inexorable because the individual cost to citizens was not thought to be all that burdensome. It was the price of being an American and, for quite a while, both parties acknowledged that that was the case.

Now, with the Great Recession, the explosion in entitlement spending (which was always a problem but a uniform lack of political will to actually permanently fix it), and the effort to make a BIG gain in progressivism, citizens have started to get very worried about where the country is going.

However not everyone has come to conclusion that something needs to be done and that has not filtered down into the political arena. PPACA coming online has now given people actual proof of kind of how bad things can start to get, but it is easy for many to think that “it won’t get that bad for ME”.

In any case, I believed until a several years ago that the Great Depression was a result of the stock market crash of 1929 and, for some reason, the country stayed mired in it until WWII got us out of it. Now I know differently and while I have tended to be more “conservative” or “libertarian” it did help me understand something I had not known before. But that transformation, although I am not politically active, was a lightning change compared to changing the mass of people who make up the “establishment”.

So while I can be disappointed that the GOP has its problems with folks from the Tea Party and such, it is hard to blame people who have time and effort invested in it. I think that if PPACA is repealed and some entitlement improvements (I kind of hate the word “reform” because that always implies improvement even when it does not – PPACA was a reform but not an improvement) occur that things will start to settle back into what was before. Not certain, but likely.

Russ808 on February 19, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Hey, you have to break a few eggs to make an omelette.

Congratulations Ms. Boonstra. You’re an egg.

Cicero43 on February 19, 2014 at 1:28 PM

On another board (it skews liberal) there is a current poll about buyer’s remorse on Obamacare(poll). Overwhelmingly the people who took the poll are still for Obamacare (thread). It’s an eyeopener.

The liberal people I talk to face to face almost all are either fully negative or very disappointed. Not one person I have spoken with is happy about it.

talking_mouse on February 19, 2014 at 1:31 PM

GaltBlvnAtty on February 19, 2014 at 12:17 PM

A resonant truth, a massive political opportunity. The problem is, most of our candidates are demonstrating an over-compensating fear or denial of this anger. It’s a bronco and no one wants to ride it. If Rand Paul gets any more somnolent he’ll fall asleep standing up. Ted Cruz sounds too often like a Parlimentarian debater. Palin keeps sloughng off the mantle of leader with quips and sidebar comments. It’s as if none of them recognize how to harness the anger in a responsible and awesomely powerful way.

rrpjr on February 19, 2014 at 1:33 PM

My insurance was canceled because of Obamacare,” says Boonstra. “Now, the out-of-pocket costs are so high, it’s unaffordable. If I do not receive my medication, I will die.”

(Insert BIG number here) undertaker jobs created or saved.

Marcola on February 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM

“Take a pain pill…”

-Obarky the Dog Eater.

jawkneemusic on February 19, 2014 at 1:40 PM

HonestLib on February 19, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Very good points, and I commend you on your well thought out reasoning. As 22044 said earlier, I enjoy reading your posts.

However, I would say in response, how is a Conservative (the Republican’s are nearly dead to me) to get the message out, ala Reagan? You know full well, if you are being intellectually honest, that the level of journalism and reporting is almost worse than what you would expect from elementary school tv channel, and they have an excuse. They are kids talking about the lunch menu and the next PTO meeting. Not a single journalist/commentator who is a liberal with the exception of a few (Carville, Cadel, Powers) are willing to tell some honest truths. Instead we get “Romney killed my wife” on major media networks without a SINGLE one of those networks actually fact checking. Senator Ted Cruz has spoken elequently on those things, and yet he’s mocked by the left and MSM as a fool, depsite having a proven education vastly superior to most and an impressive resume as a litigator.

We are now in an era of instant gratification, and wealth envy. Combine that with failure to properly report and/or allow the message to get out, and you are correct, a Conservative will never win a national election again.

I personally blame us Conservatives for that. We chose, years ago, to not fight for our children’s education, assuming everyone is going to have our views, or at least be given an opportunity to hear our views. When progressives took over the education system, all was lost.

We are living in Idiocracy, which was a funny movie, but also a dead-on commentary about America, circa 21st century.

USNCVN on February 19, 2014 at 1:55 PM

There ain’t a smidgeon of evidence this lady lost her healthcare due to Obamacare. Clearly she’s just racist.

Buttercup on February 19, 2014 at 2:12 PM

Paperclips on February 19, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Both Paperclip and Random were banned many moons ago.

Lanceman on February 19, 2014 at 2:17 PM

The Dems would tell her they are just freeing her from the constraints of Life-Lock.

tommyboy on February 19, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Real people will die because of Obamacare. That these Dems are more concerned about this failed mess one POS’s “legacy achievement” than the lives that will be lost because of it speaks volumes.

neyney on February 19, 2014 at 11:01 AM

FIFY

PatHenry on February 19, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Am I the only one that noticed AFP made this ad? I mean you can’t trust anything in it being that it was made by the Koch brothers. They’re collectively ranked the 56th highest political donor, but they’re 10 100 1000 timesmuch really more evil than anyone on the left.

UnstChem on February 19, 2014 at 2:36 PM

If the Republicans can find someway, somehow, to not screw this up–the ObamaCare issue should be/ought to be the pathway to recapturing the Senate and increasing their majority in the House this fall. ObamaCare is an absolute albatross around the necks of every Democrat in this country–and they know it. Stories such as this lady’s should be shouted from the rooftops from here to Election Day.

Bob Davis on February 19, 2014 at 2:40 PM

Somthing, something something about a famous river in Egypt

DublOh7 on February 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Liberals always use the anecdotal.

Conservatives usually try to use facts.

Americans get burned because people don’t want to hear the facts. It’s easier to bypass them with “good intentions.”

Why is it liberals always want to say they are for science and then totally ignore it when it comes to just about everything if the science/facts don’t align with their world view?

Insert rainbowfarts.jpeg

Deckard BR on February 19, 2014 at 2:41 PM

Certainly worthy of another round of golf and let’s leave the rest to Joe Biden.

COgirl on February 19, 2014 at 2:49 PM