Confirmed: Liberals like cats more than conservatives do

posted at 6:01 pm on February 18, 2014 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Time magazine confirms definitively that blogger is a RINO.”

You’ve all let me down. Again.

cats

Lefties prefer dogs too, as you can see, just not as much as righties do. Why is that? The stereotype is that men like dogs while women like cats; men tend to trend Republican while women trend Democratic, so there you go. When PPP polled this last year, though, it found that women preferred dogs 49/22 while men preferred dogs 55/16 — a difference, but not a stark one. Maybe Time’s data is chiefly a byproduct of location, not gender. You’ve got more liberals living in cities, where there’s less space. Apartments are tricky for all but the smallest dogs but they’re fine for even the biggest cats. Taste may be shaped by simple logistics here.

Follow the link for 11 more questions exploring the left/right divide on subjects ranging from messy desks to fusion cuisine. (See if you can guess which side prefers documentaries and which prefers action/adventure. The answer may surprise you won’t surprise you at all.) The most interesting wrinkle is seeing where self-identified libertarians fall on the spectrum. I’m surprised to see them so far above water on whether kids need to learn respect for authority and whether the government should treat its own citizens’ lives as “much more valuable” than foreigners’. A movement that’s reliably pro-Snowden and anti-intervention wouldn’t be as far north of 50 percent on those issues as they are here, I’d have guessed, but maybe that says less about libertarians than about my stereotypes of them.

Exit question: Care to explain yourselves vis-a-vis this result? I know conservatives skew older, but come on.

ie

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Well, the newbie borked the quote completely, reversing the darn thing. WOOPSIE ME.

:slinks away in shame:

xNavigator on February 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM

I open hotair in firefox (which I prefer) and we’re talking 370 megs. IE is about half of that.
oldroy on February 18, 2014 at 6:21 PM

I think the main culprit in FF memory hogging is the plugin-container process which runs Flash. Can be a royal PITA sometimes.

whatcat on February 18, 2014 at 7:40 PM

kcewa on February 18, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Wow, I never knew that existed. Thanks. I don’t suppose there are a lot of participating shelters though and there’s a matter of funds. I you talk priorities humans are more important. That’s what I always say about the museum I help at. It’s great people give us money but the rescue squad is mor important.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 7:41 PM

oldroy on February 18, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Firefox+Adblock Plus means NEVER seeing an ad here or on Youtube EVER.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Firefox+Adblock Plus means NEVER seeing an ad here or on Youtube EVER.
ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:42 PM

I’m guessing oldroy had overall memory use in mind, not so much the ads.

whatcat on February 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Firefox+Adblock Plus means NEVER seeing an ad here or on Youtube EVER.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:42 PM

But how will Allah afford his Reuben sandwich at the upper-east side-deli-of-his-choice Tomorrow?

oldroy on February 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I’m guessing oldroy had overall memory use in mind, not so much the ads.

whatcat on February 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM

16GB of RAM, Solid State hard drive here :)

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:46 PM

oldroy on February 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Showing me ads is pointless. I am that penicillin proof super bacterium when it comes to advertising. Let me put it this way, by not loading their ads, I am saving Salem some money in bandwidth costs.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM

I’m guessing oldroy had overall memory use in mind, not so much the ads.

whatcat on February 18, 2014 at 7:45 PM

You guess right. I don’t mind the ads. But adblock seems to also stop some of the auto-play crap.

I do like firefox. I do like chrome. But I have lately started using IE 11 again. Not as bad as it once was.

oldroy on February 18, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Cats are parasites and mooches. A cat would never run for help if Timmy was stuck in the well. A cat would find a nice sunny spot on the well’s ledge and take a nap.

Happy Nomad on February 18, 2014 at 6:54 PM

my maine coonn mix will go after dogs she thinks are threatening me.
when I am passing out from pain (happens a lot) she will head bump and yowl until I come around.
shes very attached to me.

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 7:48 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Pssstt. That’s not how advertising works.

oldroy on February 18, 2014 at 7:49 PM

my maine coonn mix will go after dogs she thinks are threatening me.
shes very attached to me.

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Like I said, I’ve seen cats watch out for kids. If they become attached to you (and it’s not hard, all you have to do is be nice to them, Cats are very low maintenance and honestly don’t ask for a lot more than food, some love, and a warm place to sleep). I’ve seen the cats go after dogs they thought threatened the kids as well…

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM

Pssstt. That’s not how advertising works.

oldroy on February 18, 2014 at 7:49 PM

By posting my witty commentary here I am helping them with their audience :)

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:51 PM

My collie says:

Oh yeah. I almost forgot. Did anyone mention that cats are p*ssies, just like liberals?

CyberCipher on February 18, 2014 at 7:52 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:50 PM

my 25 week old asks for a lot of attn, and he’ll get it or kill you trying LOL
I like dogs but am unable to care for one properly, the cats care for me.

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 7:55 PM

My collie says:

CyberCipher on February 18, 2014 at 7:52 PM

If a kitten so much as HISSED at Obama he’d wet his panties and cry like a 6 year old girl.

Also the domestic cat is FAR more heavily armed than a dog…

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:56 PM

my 25 week old asks for a lot of attn, and he’ll get it or kill you trying LOL
I like dogs but am unable to care for one properly, the cats care for me.

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 7:55 PM

I had a female cat that when she wanted to be held, if you put her down she’d climb back up like you were a tree.

Female cats are a bit clingier. But they tend also to be a lot more devoted. Toms are better family pets in my observation because they are more tolerant and like more people.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM

yup, 2 females here and when we lost our male 2 yrs ago it didn’t take long to realize we needed to replace him. one female likes me, other likes wife, male allows all of us to like him :)

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 8:01 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Ratso jumps on my shoulder and likes to hang out there…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Three cats. No dogs. Have not had a dog since I lived with my parents, who had both cats and dogs. Dogs are dumb little beasts who, as have been pointed out before, slavishly love you even if you kick them. Cats at least are pickier. One of our cats is devoted to my spouse, another is devoted to me, and the third leans a little more towards my spouse but is willing to take affection from me. And when a cat deigns to give you its affection, you are truly blessed.

Plus all three are Siamese (one is a Snowshoe, but that’s part Siamese). Siamese are smarter than most cats. In the cat world, the dumbest, most inactive cats are Persians, and the smartest, most active cats are Siamese. They have a lot of personality. If you don’t like the extreme of a Siamese, get a Snowshoe. Lots of personality but also a well-rounded, amiable cat (the other part is American Shorthair, which are your average all-American Joe type of cat).

Our meezers do not yowl a lot. In fact, our Snowshoe is rarely vocal. The other two are a tad more talkative but don’t have that annoying meezer voice that the wedgies have. Ours are traditional meezers.

And we love America, are ardently pro-life, pro-family, small government, Rush Limbaugh listenin’, Sarah Palin lovin’ tea party supportin’ conservatives. So it is possible for conservatives to be ardent cat lovers.

We’re also creative people, which I think might also explain the cat proclivities–i.e., we are more introverted, are geeky and are not type A personalities.

theotherone on February 18, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Here kitty kitty.

ToddPA on February 18, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Confirmed: Liberals like cats more than conservatives do

…so I’m a closet liberal?

KOOLAID2 on February 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 8:01 PM

It also becomes quickly apparent that the females are dominant in the clan. Males always defer to them, allow them to eat first, yield the open can to them and wait for you to open another for them, etc.

Housecats have a social structure much like a lion’s pride. The females do most of the work and they are dominant.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:05 P

Very perceptive of you. I’ve noticed that too. My 3 are however all males.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:09 PM

theotherone on February 18, 2014 at 8:03 PM

If you want a cat that is as intelligent as a Siamese but isn’t as vocal, the Birman (which isn’t related to the Siamese at all, but a naturally occurring breed) are awesome.

They have a VERY sweet temperament and basically like everyone. You can tell them by their paws, they are pointed cats like Siamese, with a medium length coat but always have white “gloved” paws.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Well, that would explain why Sheldon is a wussy.
Penny is the alpha. Sasha is the yenta. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM

usually..however they are unique so not always true.
here…he bows to nobody.
he will literally eat food from their mouths. from rate of growth and certain other physical sizes males have I expect him to run 20+ lbs.
just waiting on the kitten stage to subside a bit, his big thing now is opening the dishwasher (unlocking and opening) when its going to see the spray. that gets old.

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Had one cat that was an “ordinary” (hint: there is NO SUCH THING as an ordinary cat!) yellow-orange striped tabby male who was so intelligent, he figured out how to work DOOR KNOBS on his own! It was CREEPY to see the door open and in walks the cat…

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:11 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Well, that would explain why Sheldon is a wussy.
Penny is the alpha. Sasha is the yenta. LoL

annoyinglittletwerp on February 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM

15 years ago we had two females, two males. Mine was the younger female (she lived to be 14) the older was a Birman female. The younger female usually let the older one have her way, but BOTH dominated the males.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:13 PM

Ratso is a Seal-point. He is almost four months old…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:14 PM

we put eye hooks on cabinets since he learned to press the baby latches. they worked for a day. now we just gave up

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Ratso is a Seal-point. He is almost four months old…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:14 PM

They are beautiful. I love the Siamese, but they are definitely more suited for houses with children (because the Siamese have a blast with them and the kids with the Siamese).

If I get another I am thinking of getting a Maine Coon. They are beautiful, HUGE, intelligent, and very good companion cats.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM

seal points are pretty

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 8:15 PM

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 8:10 PM

My Winston is a year and a half. He likes to watch the toilet flush and sits in the tub and watches the water run down the drain.He’s a smart cat but wilfull.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM

I’ve always noticed cats love to watch with fascination that you will VOLUNTARILY get into a bathtub!

And they kind of look on with pity, as if wanting to say “oh, you can’t just lick yourself clean, can you?”

lol. Cats honestly PITY us in some ways!

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:18 PM

lol. Cats honestly PITY us in some ways!

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Oh yeah. And they can’t understand why we sleep at night.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Ratso loves seeing the toilet flush and he is fascinated with the drains…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Oh yeah. And they can’t understand why we sleep at night.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Indoor cats usually adapt to your sleeping habits. Mine mostly sleep at night.

Of course, being cats they mostly just SLEEP when you aren’t interacting with them.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Ratso loves seeing the toilet flush and he is fascinated with the drains…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Georgie uses the tub drain as a toilet sometimes. I wish they all would. The litter wouldn’t get wet so fast.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Ratso loves seeing the toilet flush and he is fascinated with the drains…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:20 PM

The Birman we used to have taught herself to use the toilet. She wouldn’t use the litter box after that (not as clean). She could do everything but flush it.

I swear to God they learn by watching us do things! There are few animals more intelligent than them.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Woder why this thread hasn’t been promoted to the top pics?

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Woder why this thread hasn’t been promoted to the top pics?

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Should be, it’s a LOT more fun talking about Cat Superiority than griping about the latest Edict from Pharaoh.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:24 PM

As an aside, I don’t DISLIKE dogs at all, it’s just that I don’t want a pet that literally lives vicariously through me. They are just too dependent!

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:27 PM

I like dogs, they are just too much work–I’m too lazy to own one…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:28 PM

Maybe it’s because only 3 of us are still on.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:28 PM

The domestic cat is the ONLY animal besides Man who HUNTS FOR PLEASURE!

No matter how well fed they are, let them out, and they WILL hunt…

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Actually, hyenas kill for pleasure. They’ll rip the udders off of an entire herd of cows and spit out the meat. They’ll rip the face off of an unwary person for no reason and run off leaving the victim to die.
About then, of course, it’s time to spotlight a pack or two of ol’ Fisi and cull them back to acceptable numbers.

Solaratov on February 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Needy

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM

My cat loves to get on the scale and check her weight every morning. It must be working. She has not gained an ounce in years.

HellCat on February 18, 2014 at 8:31 PM

HellCat on February 18, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Probably likes to watch the thing move.

That reminds me, Winston likes my printer. He and his sister before she ran away used to come running when they heard it. They would peer into the opening and wait for the paper to come out. If nothing comes out Winston sticks his paws inside looking for it.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:33 PM

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:17 PM

all 3 here love the tub and running water.

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Needy

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Mostly.

However, there is NO TRUTH to the belief that cats and dogs can’t live together and actually get along VERY well. It’s just that the dog has to accept the cat runs things. Since dogs are used to taking orders it’s natural :)

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:36 PM

all 3 here love the tub and running water.

dmacleo on February 18, 2014 at 8:34 PM

We had a cat when I was a kid that would come running when she heard the bath water running, she would jump in and swim laps…
Rats loves to watch me shower through the clear shower curtain.

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Here’s one for you. My mother didn’t believe in taking cats to the vet so when I went home I had to get all of them spayed. But before I did one of them had kittens. Another female helped her birth them. I’ve heard of this happening before.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:39 PM

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I’ve seen this too.

Females help each other with the kittens. Same as with a Lion pride. Same social structure.

But yes, ALWAYS spay and neuter your cats. For one thing it makes them much better pets. Secondly, there are FAR too many unwanted cats out there that you don’t want to make more.

I once saw a statistic that was shocking, that an intact male and female pair breeding, can produce (accounting for their offspring of course) EIGHTY MILLION CATS in 10 years. Their breeding rate is more rapid than anything else, probably even rabbits. Certainly no small predator species breeds faster.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Back after the war we lived in the north hills of Pittsburgh. It was very rural. Probably because of the depression and the war everybody had a garden and chickens and rabbits. If a cat had kittens there were always people who would take one. My mother was still in that mode. The cat population seems to have proliferated along with the baby boomers. Is there a connection? Hmmm.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:46 PM

An awesome series of videos:

The Domestic Shorthair

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM

An awesome series of videos:

The Domestic Shorthair

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:47 PM

I’m partial to domestic shorthairs. You don’t have to buy them.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Animal planet has a series of programs called Cats 101.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:51 PM

Poor Kitten (Eight yr old Abyssinian) never gets any rest. Ratso is after her all the time, when she is eating, using the litter box, etc. Plus he is taking over her favorite spots in the house…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I’m partial to domestic shorthairs. You don’t have to buy them.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:49 PM

They are actually the only cats I’ve ever had. And I’ve never chosen a single one I’ve ever had. “Cats just happen”. As I said, my mom had a Birman, only purebred I’ve ever lived with and she was awesome.

Favorite cat I ever had was my female domestic shorthair dilute tortie. She was an even mix of gray and yellow. (Only female cats can have two colors other than white, btw). Her appearance suited her, used to joke she couldn’t decide WHAT color she wanted to be so she chose them all!

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Here kitty kitty.

ToddPA on February 18, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Oh, I know that joke: what does a 200 pound canary in an alley say?

CJ on February 18, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I’m partial to domestic shorthairs. You don’t have to buy them.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I didn’t have to pay for Ratso. The other four from his litter sold for $400 each. Ratso was a Christmas gift from a dear friend I have known all my life. His mother is pg again…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:53 PM

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 8:51 PM

I thought you only had one cat.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I thought you only had one cat.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM

You should never have just one cat.

Pairs are optimal in my experience. I currently have a pair of domestic shorthair brothers. They are about 2 years old, one is black and white, the other yellow and white. Their personalities couldn’t be MORE different, which is the fun of domestic shorthairs. The yellow one is outgoing and vocal, the black one is skiddish but very affectionate.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:56 PM

some people think cats don’t need anybody but the only pet that I know wants to be alone is the hamster.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:58 PM

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Cats definitely prefer human companionship, else they’d have never chosen to live with us.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 8:59 PM

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I have a complicated scale that even a cat could not figure out how to use. I just think her reasoning is that she will get fed sooner if she mimics me.

Who knows? Sometimes they are so transparent and other times a mystery.

HellCat on February 18, 2014 at 8:59 PM

I thought you only had one cat.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Oh, no I have two. I just don’t talk about Kitten like I do Ratso…
I swiped Kitten from the neighbors years ago. They have a habit of taking in animals as babies and abandoning them when they grow to adulthood…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 9:00 PM

oldsquid on February 18, 2014 at 6:33 PM

As I said earlier – 2 of each, 1 male and 1 female of each.
So I guess that means I’m just terribly conflicted, or schizo, or something.
The female dog (black lab-Dachshund mix) loves me and goes nuts when I come home and always wants my attention. The male dog (Red Heeler mix) is ok with me most of the time, but growls and snarls at me and threatens to bite when I kiss/hug my wife goodbye in the morning. She thinks that he thinks I’m attacking her.
The female cat doesn’t care about anyone, scared of the dogs (cuz they chase her, cuz she runs), but wants her back rubbed when she eats – and bites to let you know when she’s had enough attention. The male cat wants to sleep on my chest/shoulder/face at night, and is mostly fine with the dogs (and vice versa).
And all of them together are destroying our carpets in several different ways….
Sometimes tempted to let them ALL go play with the coyotes out back…. and I don’t think that would end like some homeward bound epic….

And we’ve had others before this batch, and it’s always heartbreaking to lose them….

dentarthurdent on February 18, 2014 at 9:00 PM

Cats 101: The Birman

Can’t recommend this breed enough. Beautiful, intelligent, and very friendly.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:02 PM

The domestic cat is the ONLY animal besides Man who HUNTS FOR PLEASURE!

No matter how well fed they are, let them out, and they WILL hunt…

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Our cats kill any mice that get in, then leave the body parts (not always attached) at the base of the stairs or just outside our bedroom door as a present for us.
Aint that just so sweet?…..

dentarthurdent on February 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:02 PM

No more long hais for me if I can help it…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 9:05 PM

hairs…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Aint that just so sweet?…..

dentarthurdent on February 18, 2014 at 9:04 PM

There was one summer, 2001, I believe, where mice were just epidemic in my area. They got into the house (regardless of what we did). My Tortie female was the champion mouser. Only problem was she wanted to PRESENT them to me… Usually at night, waking me up, with the MOUSE BREATH in my face.

Still, how MAD could you possibly be at a cat for ridding you of a pest? You aren’t, you praise her and tell her how wonderful she is, and then dispose of the carcass :)

They are the best mousetraps in the world.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:07 PM

I had a persian. Bought him in CA. He was high maintenance. Their fur tangles so if you don’t comb them everyday they get what I call lumps. He was lazy but pretty.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM

No more long hais for me if I can help it…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 9:05 PM

The Birman actually isn’t a longhair, they are a medium length haired cat, and they have no undercoat. Keep them indoors and they can groom themselves very effectively.

They aren’t really any higher maintenance than a shorthair.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 9:09 PM

My brother had a Himalayan, a Persian bred to have Siamese point markings. Very docile, very dumb, but a very sweet cat. And yes, high maintenance.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:11 PM

If I EVER choose another cat (as I’ve said, I’ve never done this, they’ve just “happened”) and I’ve had cats for 30 years.

Cats 101: Maine Coon

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:13 PM

I’m 32 and use IE simply because it’s what I know, it works for what I need, and I’ve had no major issues with it. Some of that doesn’t apply to others since I really only go on news websites, some blogs, a handful or wikis and forums, and other information websites (census, BLS, economagic, etc.) and I’m an old computer nerd so I my computers are already efficient. My fiancé has a lot more issues with chrome and FF than I do with IE but few of the above conditions apply to her.

As for cats I had 3 of the best cats people had seen, but it doesn’t take much effort to get them there. Bah, I was going to quote some responses but way too many, sorry if it’s obvious I’m replying to you but not quoting. All you need do is interact with and pamper a cat a little and they be happy, nice, social animals (like women for that matter).

My current cat likes to jump into the shower with me and rub against my legs. My eldest from my prior 3 (about to turn 16) only drinks from a faucet, no bowl of water for him. He also doesn’t eat treats off a floor but requires food to be on a plate.

If a cat doesn’t meet you at the door when you get home from work, especially home from a trip, then something is wrong. Mine are always excited to see me if I’ve been gone for more than a few hours.

My current cat can do 6 tricks, high-five, take a bow, rub (rubs her chin on your hand), box (stands up and bats her paws at you), roll over, and play dead (rolls onto her back with her head on the ground, eyes closed, and paws tucked in). Almost got her to sing (stands up, lifts her head and meows) but couldn’t get it to take. My prior 3 could do lay, sit, and stand.

Cats are good bug hunters, excellent for some breeds. Just have to be careful if they’re excellent ones, they tend to ignore their surroundings when going after flies. Nothing more terrifying than just sitting there looking at your laptop screen when out of no where a cat comes flying across your face with mouth open and paws and claws extended .

jarodea on February 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM

jarodea on February 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM

I’ve never had a cat that didn’t obsessively go after bugs when young, but they tend to grow out of it.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Cats 101: Maine Coon

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:13 PM

Mine just happen too but if I could afford a pedigreed cat it wold probably be something like a siamese. My aunt Alice had one. It was her last cat. She had emphysema but insisted on smoking so died too young. When she went to the hospital she told us we should have the cat put to sleep. We didn’t do that. We took her home. She lived to be 18. When she was young she could leap flat footed from the floor to the top of my aunt’s mantel. Not the part where you hang the stockings. The part way up at the ceiling.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM

I believe in the Irish saying, “Never trust a person who doesn’t like cats.” Liberal or conservative, it doesn’t matter.

HellCat on February 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 9:19 PM

My black Manx Bear-Bear could leap from the floor to the top of the open front door. She sat up there and watched the world go by through the security door…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 9:29 PM

Yep, those of us who have cats are blessed.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 9:31 PM

jarodea on February 18, 2014 at 9:15 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM

One of my dogs, the afore mentioned red heeler goes nuts over bugs.

dentarthurdent on February 18, 2014 at 9:33 PM

HellCat on February 18, 2014 at 9:27 PM

Cats seem to be a good judge of character.

One of the divisions of my company, they keep cats in the building to keep mice away, including one in the office. They told me they never used to hire anyone that cat didn’t like. She was 19 years old and took to me immediately :)

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:34 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Of the 4 I’ve had, 2 were never interested much in bugs, one was a Mau and still obsessively goes after bugs at age 10, and the last is crazy about bug hunting but she’s only 2. She acts like the Mau did when he was 2 though, but we’ll see.

Either way, the obvious solution is to always have a young cat at hand if you can’t abide bugs.

jarodea on February 18, 2014 at 9:37 PM

jarodea on February 18, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Kittens are the ultimate joy. The ultimate in innocent naivete. Their wide eyed wonder and curiosity towards the WHOLE WORLD is the innocence of the children of God :)

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM

jarodea on February 18, 2014 at 9:37 PM

Mine chase crickets.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Kitten can jump in mid air to catch a fly. She loves them…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM

Anyone who has ever had cats also knows to NOT WASTE MONEY on toys. Hang on to boxes and paper bags. They love those more than anything.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:44 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Old shoelaces, plastic golf balls, candy wrappers, plastic twist ties. My mother used to tie a chicken feather to a chair for kittens to play with.

crankyoldlady on February 18, 2014 at 9:48 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:44 PM

One of ours is constantly “killing” my wife’s elastic cloth ponytail holders, and other fuzzy or furry items (that are NOT supposed to be toys), and leaving them around the floor for us.

dentarthurdent on February 18, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Cats are also the best mothers in the animal kingdom.

Kittens, and cats, when they are dreaming are funny to watch, they twitch their limbs, etc. They act OUT their dreams. Fortunately for us they dream of being cats, not conquering the world :)

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:50 PM

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:41 PM

I certainly can’t disagree with that.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 9:50 PM

I keep a picture of the “sniper kitty” on my laptop to remind me how easily it would be for us to fall. If cats had the manual dexterity to operate firearms they wouldn’t have to just dream about conquering the world or settle for lording over a 980 sq ft apt, the world would be theirs.

jarodea on February 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM

jarodea on February 18, 2014 at 10:03 PM

They certainly have the eyesight for it.

Cats fortunately are melee warriors.

ConstantineXI on February 18, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Poor Kitten. Ratso just ran her off from the kibble…

OmahaConservative on February 18, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Say it ain’t so! I’m a cat lover and I’ve converted my husband.

TXMomof3 on February 18, 2014 at 10:44 PM

Ann Coulter could have told you liberals prefer cats just based on her slang term for liberals.

NoPain on February 19, 2014 at 8:10 AM