Confirmed: Liberals like cats more than conservatives do

posted at 6:01 pm on February 18, 2014 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Time magazine confirms definitively that blogger is a RINO.”

You’ve all let me down. Again.

cats

Lefties prefer dogs too, as you can see, just not as much as righties do. Why is that? The stereotype is that men like dogs while women like cats; men tend to trend Republican while women trend Democratic, so there you go. When PPP polled this last year, though, it found that women preferred dogs 49/22 while men preferred dogs 55/16 — a difference, but not a stark one. Maybe Time’s data is chiefly a byproduct of location, not gender. You’ve got more liberals living in cities, where there’s less space. Apartments are tricky for all but the smallest dogs but they’re fine for even the biggest cats. Taste may be shaped by simple logistics here.

Follow the link for 11 more questions exploring the left/right divide on subjects ranging from messy desks to fusion cuisine. (See if you can guess which side prefers documentaries and which prefers action/adventure. The answer may surprise you won’t surprise you at all.) The most interesting wrinkle is seeing where self-identified libertarians fall on the spectrum. I’m surprised to see them so far above water on whether kids need to learn respect for authority and whether the government should treat its own citizens’ lives as “much more valuable” than foreigners’. A movement that’s reliably pro-Snowden and anti-intervention wouldn’t be as far north of 50 percent on those issues as they are here, I’d have guessed, but maybe that says less about libertarians than about my stereotypes of them.

Exit question: Care to explain yourselves vis-a-vis this result? I know conservatives skew older, but come on.

ie

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Over

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 8:42 AM

Cats sh*t and piss in the house. In a bin with grainy smelly cat litter. Then they walk around your house after burying their crap in it. Jumping on your furniture.

Game over. Dogs, please.

Good Lt on February 19, 2014 at 8:46 AM

I am a cat person. They hunt, they leave me alone most of the time, but also snuggle when they know I need it. My current cat is a bit of a dick but he earns his keep. I was viciously attacked by a small dog when I was a little girl; I am never comfortable around them.

If someone tried to guess my political affiliation based on pets, Internet browser, or just about anything else, they’d probably be mistaken. I know stereotypes exist for a reason, but they need to be updated every now and again.

Anna on February 19, 2014 at 9:13 AM

Cats are way better than dogs.

ninnuh on February 19, 2014 at 9:14 AM

I’m a cat person…ours is inside and outside…mostly he stays outside and hunts. No mice, no critters around us

And our cat is independent as hell….no upkeep required or attention needed other than a yearly visit to the vet

Dogs are time consuming and demand attention and they BARK.

Redford on February 19, 2014 at 9:29 AM

I am to the right of Atilla the Hun, but vastly prefer cats over dogs.

Dogs remind me of liberals. Completely dependent on humans (government), most breeds unable to fend for themselves. Slobbering, unkempt animals that are willing to eat sh!t.

Norwegian on February 19, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Two indoor ourdoor cats; one dumb dog; bird that yells and cusses all waking hours; some sort of rat in a cage that is as big as a cat.

One cat hates males and hisses at me and hides; other cat thinks it is a dog and will not leave me alone; dog just lays on his back wanting his belly rubbed; bird goest nuts when he seems me an loves to hold his duty until I pick him up; tailess rat ignors me unitl it hears the sound of a plastic bag, then is starts twerking and pop-corning knocking all the junk in the bottom of the cage out onto the floor.

Each pet was for a kid, but now I take care of them. Got rid of my salt water tank to free up time to take care of the pets.

HonestLib on February 19, 2014 at 9:36 AM

I started life as a dog person. Married a dog person. Had a child and on his second b-day we took him to a shelter to pick out a pet.

No matter what I did he keep going back to his little black kitten. Ignoring the dogs completely. Shadow was a good cat, very affectionate and extremely protective of the family. Attacking anyone that even playfully hit me or my son. Even if we were goofing around she would get in the middle of it and stop the rough housing. She lived 13 years before she had to be put down because of tumors. Sad day.

Saved Maxwell the Siamese as a 6 week old kitten when he got sucked up into the neighbors in ground pool filter. He hunts all the time and this last summer brought home two rabbits to share. He has dog like qualities as he comes when you call him. He’s 4 years old and sits on the back of my computer chair in the winter because he hates the wet and snow.

When Shadow died Max was moping around for weeks. So I caved to pressure and we got a calico cat named Chloe. Everything about this cat, from her history from the humane society to the way she behaves is nothing but lies. If cats could be liberal she would be the poster child.

I am in my 50′s now and I have given up the notion of ever getting a dog again.

mechkiller_k on February 19, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Norwegian on February 19, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I kind of see it the opposite. Dogs can be trained to perform a variety of tasks, some extremely important (never seen a “seeing-eye cat”. Cats just freeload. They serve virtually no purpose. And the fact that they urinate and defecate in a box that you keep in your house, walk in that box, and then climb on your kitchen counters is disgusting. Dogs can be annoying, but I don’t even like visiting anyone who owns cats (I’m also allergic to some cats). You cat people may think your house doesn’t smell like cats, but it does. I may not smell it while I’m there, but I’ll smell it in my clothes after I leave.

Personally, I can understand not wanting a dog, but I can’t see the point of owning any other pet. It’s dogs or nothing for me.

Mullaney on February 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Cats are from satan… no surprise at all on this one. Dogs are gifts from the Creator. The perfect companion and best friend of man.

Cats are evil…

And c’mon people: IE??? Stop using crap and get with the times.

tyketto on February 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Every cat person I know is a loser as well. Sorry, but it’s true.

tyketto on February 19, 2014 at 10:29 AM

I am a conservative and have 4 cats. I love dogs too but cats rule!

californiacitizen on February 19, 2014 at 10:31 AM

That’s because they are all puzzies!

neyney on February 19, 2014 at 10:41 AM

The most irritating result is the one on respect for authority.
Liberals don’t think they should have to respect authority because they believe themselves to be the authorities that deserve respect.

Herod on February 19, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Every cat person I know is a loser as well. Sorry, but it’s true.

tyketto on February 19, 2014 at 10:29 AM

Crisis or marriage counselor is not your day job I presume? Chuckle!

HonestLib on February 19, 2014 at 11:03 AM

Mullaney on February 19, 2014 at 10:22 AM

If you think dogs don’t stink, think again.

I own a few rental properties. I have seen nice units being completely destroyed by dogs and left with a stink that require special oxygen machines to remove. There is a reason why many landlords won’t allow dogs, while at the same time being fine with cats.

Norwegian on February 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM

That’s actually an easy one:

Conservatives tend to hold office-style jobs where there is an enforced corporate browser, which is almost always Internet Explorer. This is what they get used to using, so they use it at home. Habit. Nothing more.

wearyman on February 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Norwegian on February 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Indeed. Cats stink in one spot in the house. The litterbox. Dogs stink ALL OVER the house.

wearyman on February 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I love my cats. Cats are independent minded little cusses.

Bitter Clinger on February 18, 2014 at 6:12 PM

Agree! Got my dogs, but my cat keeps them in line (and the dogs are huge).

Nape-wa-ste on February 19, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Obama likes to eat dogs.
He doesn’t like cats but he just hasn’t had the right recipe.

ObamatheMessiah on February 19, 2014 at 11:36 AM

Our Cat Ringo Ray.

Bmore on February 19, 2014 at 11:37 AM

I figure Liberals would resent cats’ independence and self-reliant attitude.

“We called our dog Pyramid because he left one in every room.”

———– Rodney Dangerfield

viking01 on February 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM

If you think dogs don’t stink, think again.

Norwegian on February 19, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Never said dogs don’t stink (although dog smell doesn’t bother me much unless they haven’t been bathed in months). Cats themselves don’t smell much at all, it’s just the box of urine and feces that pervades the rest of the house.

Mullaney on February 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Cats are amazing! I have the smallest Calico cat anyone’s ever seen (she’s thirteen and still only about 9 inches long, but when she was a kitten (about the size of a hamster) she could stand and jump vertically onto my pool table. That’d be like you broad jumping about 50 feet straight up. Cats are identical in every movement and mannerism to their big brothers in the wild. And they can survive without our help, whatsoever.
It’s hard to look at a Chihuahua or a Pomeranian and think ‘wolf’.

Nape-wa-ste on February 19, 2014 at 11:44 AM

wearyman on February 19, 2014 at 11:28 AM

You might want to invite some of your friends who don’t have cats over for a second opinion if you think cat stink is limited to the litter box. And my dogs don’t stink all over the house, only where they are, and when they haven’t bathed in awhile. They don’t leave the smell all over the house. If they leave the room, the stink goes with them. And dog smell isn’t that bad. Better than human smell, in fact. If I don’t bathe my dogs for 2 weeks, they’re fine. Not true of humans.

Mullaney on February 19, 2014 at 11:53 AM

…it’s just the box of urine and feces that pervades the rest of the house.

Mullaney on February 19, 2014 at 11:39 AM

You’re doing it wrong.

roy_batty on February 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM

You’re doing it wrong.

roy_batty on February 19, 2014 at 12:02 PM

Doing what wrong? I don’t own a cat.

But I’ve been in houses where the owners do have cats, and I knew immediately they had cats, even if I never saw them.

Mullaney on February 19, 2014 at 12:05 PM

I love cats, as a matter of fact the Fuk Mi Chinese restaurant down the street from my home has the best General Tso’s cat available anywhere

Wallythedog on February 19, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Dogs anyway of the week. And Firefox.

ojfltx on February 19, 2014 at 1:14 PM

So I guess ferret and iguana owners are just S.O.L.?

Fine.

Eric in Hollywood on February 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Cat’s for me. Dogs are too high maintenance, like liberals. My cat will let me know when she wants attention, she plays with mice and scorpions until they are dead, and smart enough to know to avoid a fiddleback. Cat’s know to clean their paws after getting out of the litterbox, dogs just track it into the house and then jump all over you.

TulsAmerican on February 19, 2014 at 1:41 PM

So I guess ferret and iguana owners are just S.O.L.?

Fine.

Eric in Hollywood on February 19, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Chuckle!

Had a Luwana the Iguana and Bubba the pot-belly pig back in the ’80s. Wife’idea and when the pig hit 350lbs, I finally decided it was not a miniature.

HonestLib on February 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM

HonestLib on February 19, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Mmm… bacon! I keed, I keed!
I used to raise birds of prey and poisonous snakes(!). I was just being a kid collecting critters. Now I’m just a lowly dog/cat lover :)

Nape-wa-ste on February 19, 2014 at 2:05 PM

TulsAmerican on February 19, 2014 at 1:41 PM

What’s annoying about dogs is their lack of culinary skills. My dogs think a cat turd is like a Twinkie™ treat (when their not eating human feces). My cat looks on with troubled discernment.

Nape-wa-ste on February 19, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Ugh, how can anyone still use IE?!

Doomberg on February 18, 2014 at 6:04 PM

I use I.E. and Mozilla. I.E. is better for some things (YouTube, last.fm), while Mozilla is faster and better for others.

bmmg39 on February 19, 2014 at 3:15 PM

I’m a conservative but I prefer cats to dogs (but I do like dogs).

This sounds similar to a quiz I took about a month ago. It has similar questions on it, one being which browser to you use.

I also use Google Chrome for my browser, unless it’s acting weird, or I can’t get a web page to work, in which case I try FireFox. I hate IE, but according to the quiz, conservatives use IE and liberals use Chrome.

TigerPaw on February 19, 2014 at 3:31 PM

More conservatives use IE because more conservatives have jobs, wherein they use Windows. Easy.

Beo on February 19, 2014 at 4:01 PM

I like animals in general, but if I had to choose, it’s cats for me.

Like someone else said, I am hard right, but I’ve always preferred cats. I have two indoor cats that look similar, but one is a male and is twice the size of the other. They are very different personality-wise. The male is very social and the female is scared of her own shadow. Funny that we wouldn’t even have cats, but my wife (who had never had a cat and is allergic to most) decided she had to have the male. And when she saw another cat that looked like him, she decided she had to have her as well.

Another oddity is that we have a Shiba Inu dog as well, and it was my idea. I had never had a dog of my own before, but I knew someone with a Shiba and I thought he was the coolest dog. Shibas are independent like cats, but they have a wild streak. But what’s really good about them is they are super clean. Unlike most small dogs I’ve known, she does not eat her own waste. She pretty much potty-trained herself, which was cool, and she has a very sweet personality.

Agent86 on February 19, 2014 at 6:27 PM

lol I use opera so I had no idea!

Murphy9 on February 18, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Me too!

I’ve always thought Opera was faster, less buggy and easier to use than either IE, Chrome or Firefox.

Norwegian on February 19, 2014 at 6:54 PM

I love my dog, especially Tino, who we are going to have to put down soon, because of the unique personality of dogs. He is my best buddy and takes me for a walk every day since I had a stroke. I am really, really going to miss him. Just as I really, really miss the two other dogs I have had.

But on the other hand, I always loved my cats, which are all gone now. I didn’t have a litterbox odor problem since I locate it outside on the back porch. But they all had personalities as different as their fur, but different from a dog.

I am a Conservative on most things but decidedly Liberal on others. My politics can be simply stated as “Never, Ever, vote for a Democrat.”

It is a consequence of the Vietnam War. A war that was entered into and expanded by Democratic Legislatures and President. I wasn’t overly impressed by the Paris Accords buy figured that it would at least give the Viets a fighting chance, and then the Democrat Congress refused to uphold our commitment to them. They withheld supplies and ammunition from them while the Soviets and China kept pouring supplies to the North.

I guess that the Democrats didn’t want a simple withdrawal, that would have reflected too well on President Nixon. What they wanted was an unequivocal defeat. And they got it.

So I love my dogs and my cats but not Democrats. I am somewhat surprised at the finding that Liberal like cats more. I have always considered cats as having a better judge of character.

schmuck281 on February 19, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Any conservative who likes cats more then dogs has been COMPROMISED. They are sleepers. DO NOT TRUST THEM!!!!!

BoxHead1 on February 20, 2014 at 2:12 AM

And c’mon people: IE??? Stop using crap and get with the times.

tyketto on February 19, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Stop being an elistist ass.

zoyclem on February 20, 2014 at 7:35 AM

Michelle might wipe that scowl off her face if Obama ate her cat (instead of the dog, of course).

NoPain on February 20, 2014 at 9:54 PM