“Walking Dead” grumble thread: Did anything actually happen last night?

posted at 5:01 pm on February 17, 2014 by Allahpundit

They’ve now had 90 minutes of screen time since the cliffhanger at the prison to explain what happened to the group. Here’s what we’ve learned. In 90 minutes.

1. Carl’s going through puberty.
2. Everyone’s alive, including Carol.
3. There’ll be some new characters next week, if you’re good.

Ninety minutes well spent. Compare the amount of entertainment packed into the same timeframe for an episode of “Sherlock,” say, to what you’ve gotten over the past two weeks from TWD. (I know, it’s easy to be efficient when your season lasts three episodes.) Even last night’s big set piece, the assault on the bus by Maggie, Sasha, and Bob, was the same gimmick they used for Sophia’s reveal at the end of season two. All the zombies are dispatched except one, who’s growling in the shadows. The suspense mounts: Is the mystery zombie someone we know? Not this time. Apparently the Glenn/Maggie love story is too tender, too epic, to end so soon.

I’m not even that interested in Lizzie the bad seed. You knew she wasn’t going to smother Judith. She will, in all likelihood, end up murdering a major character in cold blood, but it won’t be one of the writers’ designated indispensables like Rick or Daryl or even Maggie. It’ll be Tyreese, a mid-major, or Carol. Let’s get on with it. I’m mostly interested in seeing how the show deals with Lizzie once the rest of the gang finds out. Post-apocalyptic justice calls for summary execution of murderers. There’s no way they’re going to do that to a little girl on TV. Are they?

Now, I need your feedback (and by “you” I mean fans of the comics). The Abraham Ford character isn’t just another variation of the crazed warlord figure that populates this genre, is he? I ask because, from Captain Rhodes in “Day of the Dead” to Major West in “28 Days Later,” you can pretty much guess how things are going to go once men in fatigues show up during the zombie apocalypse. After two seasons of the Governor, I feel like we’ve covered our brutal-megalomaniac bases for awhile. Is that what’s coming next?

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

We are about due for another meltdown on QOTD…

OmahaConservative on February 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I might be there.

The George Washington’s whiskey thing made me thirsty.

cozmo on February 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Geez, what a whiner!

If you hate it so much, why bother watching it? Is it only for the easy post to fool the Salem bosses into thinking you are working?

Adjoran on February 17, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Questions for TWD comic readers:
Who are The Hunters?
Do you think they’ll be appearing this season?

SheVee on February 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM

Okay, so not much really happened in the sense of the story moving forward, but there was plenty of zombie fighting happening as the post-prison circumstances are developed.

More importantly, this episode was much better than previous one. Thank God. I couldn’t take too many more episodes like that.

fadetogray on February 17, 2014 at 11:15 PM

Maybe the folks at Hot Air could get an actual Walking Dead fan to write the Walking Dead reviews / updates?

You can’t have non stop zombie gore action on a show (which is what Allah Pundit seems to want or prefer), otherwise it would get boring – if you don’t know the characters, you won’t care if they get killed. There would be little suspense.

I enjoy the slower paced story lines, where we get to learn more about each character.

About the only criticism I’ve agreed with AP on is the Maggie-Glenn romance. I like each character separately (Maggie is okay, Glenn is okay), but I’ve never felt much chemistry between the two characters or the actors, I don’t get anything out of them together, and I wish the show writers would have them divorce.

They could do the first divorce in the apocalypse (we could see Glenn and Maggie divorce), since they already did the first wedding.

Questions for TWD comic readers:
Who are The Hunters?
Do you think they’ll be appearing this season?

SheVee on February 17, 2014 at 11:08 PM

You don’t have to read the comics to find this stuff out. You can read it all on the WDW, Walking Dead Wiki.

According to the WDW, the Hunters are a group of survivors who ran out of food and killed and ate the children of their leader.

After the kids were dead and eaten, they started ambushing strangers they met, killing them, and eating them. Chris was the name of their leader.

The guy killed along the rail road tracks who talked to Carol and told her to go to Terminus was named Chris, so he may be telling Carol to walk into a trap.

TigerPaw on February 17, 2014 at 11:24 PM

I can’t explain the popularity of this show with alternatives like House of Cards, Mad Men, etc.

Kataklysmic on February 17, 2014 at 5:15 PM

It’s popular because of zombies. (But there again, it does not have to be non stop zombie gore fest, as I was just saying in another post).

Mad Men is not even on in repeats right now. Mad Men comes back with new episodes in about two months, and it’s the last season.

TigerPaw on February 17, 2014 at 11:28 PM

I don’t know how anyone could be worse than the governor. ..

Lanceman on February 17, 2014 at 5:32 PM

I took a look at the Walking Dead Wiki. According to that site, there’s a villain named Negan who is even more violent than the Governor. Negan bashes people’s heads in with a baseball bat covered in wire, and nicknames it “Lucille.” He extorts entire groups of survivors for their stuff (supplies).

TigerPaw on February 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Why aren’t they all headed there?

Dead Hand Control on February 17, 2014 at 6:13 PM

If there was such a pre defined location, maybe they could not reach it – with all the zombies streaming in from every direction, some of them had no choice but to take off in different directions.

TigerPaw on February 18, 2014 at 12:05 AM

Her silence is deafening…

OmahaConservative on February 17, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Thank goodness. I didn’t like having to read the Lourdes Vs Coszmo bickering on this thread.

TigerPaw on February 18, 2014 at 12:08 AM

On the Talking Dead they mentioned that they will be introducing a character not in the books who will be really really bad. However, I don’t remember them saying it will be this season or not.

Blake on February 17, 2014 at 7:39 PM

You understood incorrectly. They were talking about Negan, who is in the comics.

TigerPaw on February 17, 2014 at 11:55 PM

Negan is even worse than what you read. The people who followed the Governor, both in the comics and TV show didn’t fear him. Those who follow Negan, are deathly afraid of him, even the “tough guys”. The only reason they follow him is because he’s made a home safe from Zombies, but their lives really aren’t any more safe.

Another tidbit for non-comic readers: Michonne was captured the same time Glenn was by The Governor. He raped her multiple times a day for two weeks before she escaped. Having done all that, The Governor is still tame compared to Negan.

UnstChem on February 18, 2014 at 12:43 AM

If conservatives were to write Walking Dead, they’d have reestablished small but functioning societies by the end of season 2, probably taking inspiration from our own early colonies and the Aeneid. This would end the series and everybody would have to find another gig to pay for those ocean front homes in Venice Beach. But lefties are smarter and know how to feather their nests, so Rick, Carl and the rest will wander and maunder indefinitely. Who knows? Maybe young Carl and Rabbit-Girl will mate next season. The couple that slays together…

dhimwit on February 18, 2014 at 8:35 AM

I liked the episode as usual, but did get annoyed at a couple of things.
I don’t care who is on the bus, I’m not opening the door to “let them out one at a time”, how stupid can you get in a world where one bite takes you out, provided someone is quick with an axe or hatchet.
Not even going to go into the the full supply of baby items.

Now the Wendy Davis, I mean Lizzie storyline is a play on the comic book with a twist. In the comic, it gets “handled” from an unexpected source. No, Abraham is not a war lord, unless they have changed things, which I doubt. All new and useful characters that I’m sure you will be bored with.

Oh yes folks, if they are going to the Negan storyline….well, he makes the Gov look like a Sunday school teacher. If they do the “all out war” scenario, then they can get a good couple seasons out of that.

Farnsworth on February 18, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Not even going to go into the the full supply of baby items.

The only reason Maggie cared about who was on the bus is that the last time she saw him, her husband Glenn was on the bus. She wanted to know if he was on there dead or had turned into a Walker.

They had shown in previous episodes that Daryl and crew had gone out and found baby formula, etc, so I don’t find it far fetched that the little girls had a few bottles and stuff with them.

It’s possible they grabbed a few baby supplies before leaving the prison, or that some adult had made a baby supply bag just in case they did have to leave the prison in a hurry.

Someone on the Talking Dead Show also got hung up on that small detail, that the girls/Tyreese had the baby formula, but I don’t see that as being a huge impossibility that they had it. Carl found a big can of pudding at one of the first houses and his dad stopped at, and I don’t see people screaming, “I don’t believe that.”

TigerPaw on February 18, 2014 at 2:11 PM

And again, we get tearful theses on the improbable circumstances surrounding characters on a show where the dead come back to life and convert you by biting you.

The Schaef on February 18, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Tigarpaw:

I understand the reason Maggie wanted to do check the bus out, but I think I would have figured something else out besides letting the zombie avalanche flow from the bus.

The baby formula isn’t a big deal, I just didn’t buy into it. Invading army, zombies flooding in, shooting, people running every which way, but someone grabbed the baby formula. OK, sure why not.

The pudding thing made me laugh more than anything. can’t remember the last time I saw a can of pudding. Maybe it was some of that stuff hidden away in a 50′s fallout shelter or something. Talking dead said it took 4 hours to shoot that scene with Carl, he was tired of pudding by the end of the shoot. It was probably gross and tasted like “can”

Farnsworth on February 18, 2014 at 3:12 PM

The Schaef on February 18, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Sci-fi/fantasy generally works on a ‘what if this seemingly impossible thing happened’ premise, but it isn’t supposed to proceed from there without regard for the usual limits of reality. Just the one premise is supposed to be fantastical.

BTW, these zombies are not the usual movie/tv zombies. They don’t convert you by biting you. They just bring you to the brink of death by biting you.

It doesn’t matter if what is killing you is a zombie bite or any other cause. Whatever brings you to the brink of what would normally be death, you ‘come back’ as a zombie. The zombification disease that is in everyone worldwide (easy airborne transmission without even making the hosts sick quickly spread it worldwide) keeps you from dying all the way.

The characters get a basic explanation of this late in the first season when they are at the CDC in Atlanta.

IIRC, the disease was engineered and was supposed to defeat death (though perhaps I am confusing it here with another zombie story). It sort of worked, in a Monkey’s Paw kind of way.

fadetogray on February 18, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Read the Comic about Abraham, He is an awesome character and as a spoiler he will be there way longer, and is a good guy

Conservative4ev on February 18, 2014 at 4:52 PM