Today’s controversy: NBC reporter brings Olympian to tears by badgering him about his late brother

posted at 11:21 am on February 17, 2014 by Allahpundit

I can’t believe it’s news either, but apparently this is what We As a Nation are talking about today. Try googling “Bode Miller” and “Christin Cooper” and see what you get.

Clearly she and NBC wanted to see tears — the Olympics is famously 10 percent sports and 90 percent backstory — but she wasn’t rude about it. Judging from the volcanic outrage on Twitter after it happened, you would have thought she’d held up a photo of his brother’s headstone and said, “How’s this make you feel, huh?” Miller himself thinks it’s much ado about nothing:

“I have known Christin a long time, and she’s a sweetheart of a person,” Miller told Matt Lauer on TODAY Monday. “I know she didn’t mean to push. I don’t think she really anticipated what my reaction was going to be, and I think by the time she realized it, it was too late. I don’t blame her at all.”…

“I feel terrible that she’s taking the heat for that because it really was just a heat-of-the-moment kind of circumstance,” Miller said. “I don’t think there was any harm intended. It was just a lot of emotion for me. It’s been a lot over the past year. You sometimes don’t realize how much you can contain that stuff until the dam breaks, and then it’s just a real outpouring.”

“My emotions were very raw, she asked the questions that every interviewer would have,” he tweeted afterward. “[P]ushing is part of it, she wasnt trying to cause pain.” Some of the upset is due, I suspect, to people thinking Cooper steered his thoughts to his brother when they weren’t already there. Not so: Miller told Lauer in another interview that, unusually for him, his mind was on his brother before yesterday’s race. In fact, as you’ll see, he was the one who brought it up in the interview. By the time it was over, all it took was a nudge, not a shove, to get him to crumble.

Note that the clip, which aired last night, was taped much earlier in the day. If NBC had any problem with it internally, it didn’t stop them from dropping it into primetime. Coming soon, presumably: NBC gets Russian Olympians to share their most harrowing tales about living in Putin’s authoritarian state. Ha, no. Kidding. No way. Click the image to watch.

bm

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Wow, how mean…

OmahaConservative on February 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Anything that turns the Low Info Crowd against the NBC brand is a good thing.

The Olympics have been a snooze.

Bruno Strozek on February 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Mrs. Miller is kind of pretty but seems like a cold personality.

Bishop on February 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM

Cooper’s mother was killed in an avalanche.

Somebody should ask her how that influenced her interview.

Terp Mole on February 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM

NBC is focusing their interviews on those competitors who have lost a loved one…

d1carter on February 17, 2014 at 11:28 AM

I watched it and wanted him to punch her in the nose, or he should’ve walked away.
She bored right in.
I hated to be part of it.

Bambi on February 17, 2014 at 11:29 AM

I’d heard about the controversy, but watching the video now it doesn’t seem the interview was the least bit out of line. He was clearly willing to talk about his brother, he was on his mind, and the interviewer went with it. Nothing obnoxious imho.

Seems like a good guy with a good head on his shoulders and a lovely and supportive wife. Lucky man.

SoRight on February 17, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Props to Bode Miller for having more class than the classless Christin Cooper. How many freaking times do you have to twist the knife? Universal condemnation in my FB circle. She kept asking the question until she drove him to tears. Over and over and over. I wouldn’t want to be defined by my worst action, either, but on this day, shame, shame, shame.

Chriscom on February 17, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Bode was ok with the interview - this is non-story.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 11:33 AM

The reporter should have asked him about his two Baby Mammas…and how he is suing them for custody and child support after he didn’t want them in the first place…and wanted the second one aborted! Now…that would have been something to watch!

vitaatcaritas on February 17, 2014 at 11:33 AM

If only NBC could be as relentless and dogged in their political reporting of the current administration on Benghazi, the IRS, the NSA, Fast and Furious, etc… I guess this type on tenacity is reserved for the Olympics and the travel arrangments of candidate’s pets in the 1980′s…

HornHiAceDeuce on February 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM

Mrs. Miller is kind of pretty but seems like a cold personality.

Bishop on February 17, 2014 at 11:27 AM

I am very close friends with Morgan Miller (Beck). She is a wonderful young woman.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 11:34 AM

He is a very thoughtful dude and would have had much insight into conditions and skiing in Sochi in general. I was actually yelling at the TV last night when she just wouldn’t let it go. One question about his brother would have been enough, two? Ok, maybe. Three? She was getting so ridiculous, I wanted to punch her!

JAM on February 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM

vitaatcaritas on February 17, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Be careful – you are speaking without first hand knowledge – and you are wrong.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Come on Bode, you wanted this for your brother, right? Just say “Yes, I wanted this for my brother”. You know you want to.

mdavt on February 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM

I usually hate “ambush” interviews that aim to get a rise and/or show emotion from the interviewee but in this case the interviewee had no problem with the questioning and acknowledged as much. If Bode is OK with it then I’m OK with it…

ManWithNoName on February 17, 2014 at 11:36 AM

NBC has got to do something to get their ratings up…
This is almost as big as Bob Costas’s conjunctivitis…

d1carter on February 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Or they could have edited out the worst parts at the end, but NBC is very particular about including full context in all of its clips so as not to misinform anyone.

forest on February 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Much the same as Meridith Viera asking Noelle Pikus-Pace about her miscarriage. She was looking for tears and she got them.

GAbred on February 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Hornhieacedeuce…..+1

Spot bloody on

cmsinaz on February 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM

This is cool. If I copied and pasted it correctly.

Dejan Kovacevic ✔ @Dejan_Kovacevic

Just had good talk with America’s newest hero. Only don’t call T.J. Oshie that. “The American heroes are wearing camo. That’s not me.” #USA
11:59 AM – 15 Feb 2014 from Адлер, Sotji, Russia

Cindy Munford on February 17, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Lol forest @11:37

cmsinaz on February 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM

Yet another case of a reject from Project Runway being hired
by a TV Channel to “interview” people. whether they be
Politicians….or Athletes….or Celebrities….

(no, the average working stiff does not count).

We no longer require any Intellect of these people…

not sure what we require….maybe that they know someone,
or come from wealth…as in Anderson Cooper…

now, if you’ll excuse me, I need to tune in to the local
Weather reporter, who’s informing me that I should
stay off the roads, because she’s out on the roadway, and
underneath the Snow is…..ICE!

ToddPA on February 17, 2014 at 11:40 AM

forest on February 17, 2014 at 11:37 AM

BOOOOOM!

BallisticBob on February 17, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I think these days every interviewer is hoping for the “Richard Sherman” interview of getting some very aggressive, raw, emotional response (and yes, I know Richard Sherman’s response wasn’t really raw or emotional so much as a WWE promo sketch). If that means they push really hard and make an athlete break down in tears, they might feel guilty, sure, but more likely they’ll have gotten when they came for.

Sgt Steve on February 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Why are we talking about this, AP? You know after last night’s s-sandwich on Walking Dead you need to concentrate all of your attention on the today’s grumble thread. Watching Lizzy almost go all MASH on Judith reminded me of why I don’t keep a gun near the television.

EricW on February 17, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Are there Bode Miller trolls here too? Or defend NBC no matter what they do wrong?

I’m friends with his wife – thanks for the laugh.

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM

So…you are saying he doesn’t have two other children with two other woman???? I think that is public knowledge….he doesn’t seem like a good person….and I question anyone who marries someone like him….he seems a bit narcissistic and full of himself! In every interview that I have seen…he seems like an idiot. Especially the one where he rubbed a super hot pepper around the edge of his wife’s coffee cup without her knowing!!! Yeah! That is hilarious!! Great husband!!

vitaatcaritas on February 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Wow, that guy’s in a world of pain. Yeah, grief sucks. I lost my best friend about eight years ago, and it still rips me apart.

I didn’t think the reporter was out of line though. They were logical questions given the circumstances. He probably would have been smarter not to answer and politely end the interview.

At least he’s got a hot girlfriend.

WhatSlushfund on February 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Saw it last night, and thought it skirted the bounds, but not to the level of outrageously outrage.

rbj on February 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I’m friends with his wife – thanks for the laugh.

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM

His wife (Morgan) is my business partner’s daughter.

Jackass

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 11:49 AM

Bode Miller used to be a jerk. Wasn’t he drunk when he skied during the 2006 Olympics?

Maybe getting married and losing his brother gave him a bit of humanity.

22044 on February 17, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Allah,

The couple of questions were fine. I think it was the last one that really pissed me(and others) off. The man was already crying. It wasn’t like she was asking different questions either. She just asked the same question over and over. She might has well brought the tombstone with her; it would have gotten to the point quicker.

I also think that Miller is kind of saying what everyone else is too. He says(in part): “I know she didn’t mean to push.” He isn’t absolving her of pushing, but just saying that she probably didn’t intend to do so. Needless to say, she certainly did. If Miller didn’t put his head down, would she have kept going until he did?

segasagez on February 17, 2014 at 11:50 AM

Oh, that was his wife? My bad.

WhatSlushfund on February 17, 2014 at 11:51 AM

Miller willingly allowed this to be a theme that NBC used. There was a montage with Tom Brokaw that aired prior to NBC showing his run in Super G that talked about the death of his brother replete with Miller’s wife crying. He had no problem with it being a topic of discussion.

Metro on February 17, 2014 at 11:52 AM

vitaatcaritas on February 17, 2014 at 11:48 AM

I have learned to try and not judge people oe circumstances which I have no first hand knowledge.

People and relationships are rarely simple or easy understand.

Bode is fighting for his kids and his right to raise them.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Maybe getting married and losing his brother gave him a bit of humanity.

22044 on February 17, 2014 at 11:50 AM

All true – 100%

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 11:53 AM

You interview a man minutes after he makes the game winning play that’ll send his team to the Superbowl and that’s not raw? Like him or hate him, that’s as raw an interview I’ve seen in sports. Much better than those “We played a good game. Go team” snooze-fests that athletes practice and repeat ad nauseam.

segasagez on February 17, 2014 at 11:54 AM

NBC = Nothing But Crap.

Galtian on February 17, 2014 at 11:55 AM

I just did not see this interview as being so awful.

Bode commented on it – said “no big deal – no offense taken”

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 11:56 AM

I’ll go ahead and say it: what a BITCH!

ConstantineXI on February 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Jake the Goose
You must be new here….this site is all about judging what people do….you just happen to know these people…please with the “holier than thou” comment.

Clearly all relationships are complicated. This one happens to be in the news….that’s what happens when you are “sort of famous”….

vitaatcaritas on February 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM

You must be new here….

vitaatcaritas on February 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM

Member for 7+ years

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 11:59 AM

Oh sorry, you must know her personal life very well then! I certainly inquire about the legal status of the children of my business partner’s children, especially when there’s two of them with two women.

To come on here and defend all of Bode Miller’s lowlife actions because you know his girlfriend is laughable, jackass.

Tell your friend her “this guy’s a gamer” analysis was sooooo goood. And she’s in need of that proactiv stuff.

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM

You’re a real class act.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:02 PM

vitaatcaritas on February 17, 2014 at 11:57 AM

jake-the-goose has been here sine I have been, a very long time…

OmahaConservative on February 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Narcissists, psychopaths, sadists or Machiavellian? When it comes to online trolls, you can take your pick: Researchers say habitual electronic provocateurs have several of these serious personality issues.

One of the biggest studies yet into such behavior has found that Internet “trolls” — those who post deliberately provocative messages to a newsgroup or message board with the intention of causing maximum disruption and argument — may need some intense therapy.

Read and consider your comments in the future

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

OmahaConservative on February 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

since

OmahaConservative on February 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

OmahaConservative on February 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Difficult subject for me – this one – my business partner is Morgan Miller’s (Morgan Beck) father.

I have known Morgan since she was born.

I have a hair trigger on this issue. Have to govern it.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Not sure which high drama feels more staged. The video or this thread itself.

Bmore on February 17, 2014 at 12:06 PM

And you have called me names two times as I provided my opinion.

You must be a liberal.

Send us a picture when you’re kissing Bode’s bronze. Didn’t realize this topic was so raw for you, I know a lady who seems good at fake consoling people…

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:06 PM

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:00 PM

HotAir posters, THIS is trolling. Trolling isn’t disagreeing with with someone. Trolling is haven’t a different viewpoint or political leaning. Trolling is just saying whatever ignorant thing that comes to mind in order to piss another person off. Whenever you feel like calling someone a troll or using the terrible, terrible, 1980s cliche “Don’t feed the trolls”, think of this post.

segasagez on February 17, 2014 at 12:07 PM

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

OmahaConservative on February 17, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Somebody sprinkled gunpowder into the oatmeal here at HA. I’d just let it go at that.

VegasRick on February 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM

The NBC persona infects all their employees.

sadatoni on February 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM

VegasRick on February 17, 2014 at 12:08 PM

You’re right – thank you.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:09 PM

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I hear you buddy, do your best to ignore the troll…

OmahaConservative on February 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM

I’m a troll because I don’t like Bode and I think you defending him via his girlfriend is laughable. I ain’t no troll Homey.

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Can’t we all just start hating on HillAREwe again?

VegasRick on February 17, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Find me any other time I’ve done anything but compliment the other people writing on commenting here?

I’ve stated my point without name calling. I’ll wait for evidence of my other times I’ve trolled people here. A ridiculous comment used to try and discredit people you disagree with.

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:13 PM

Apologies offered and accepted. Move along – lots of issues out there.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Not sure if the beginning of the interview was cut out, but he brought his brother up and appeared to be somewhat emotional already. I’ll give the benefit of the doubt to the reporter that she didn’t want to bring him to tears but wanted a nice feel good Olympic story.

tommer74 on February 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM

Apologies offered and accepted. Move along – lots of issues out there.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:15 PM

You’re a good person.

VegasRick on February 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM

You’re a good person.

VegasRick on February 17, 2014 at 12:17 PM

+100000000

OmahaConservative on February 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM

This thread is interesting. I did not watch it, but the Old Country Girl did and the sound carried over to me. I was just so-so passively listening. When she did the interview, I did not know who was talking, but I called out to the OCG that geez that was a stupid question. What the he.. did she want? The athlete to say his brothers ghost was up there looking down on him? Quite a question from a traditional NBC atheist! Then I promptly forgot about it, being of such insignificant importance. Imagine, when I see this. Deja vu all over again.

Old Country Boy on February 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM

I agree much more important things here.

And agreed that wouldn’t it be nice if NBC asked these questions of Barry Holder Sebellius etc etc?

I know more about the life and death of Bode’s brother than Chris Stevens, Tyrone Woods, Glen Dougherty and Sean Smith combined.

That’s the main issue for me.

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM

NBC bottom feeding. A lot of empaths in the USA with no life. Plus for many many years now the networks have sought to bring the athletes’ back story to the games. Like how they have overcome some sort of difficulty in their lives and gotten to the games.

jake49 on February 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

I think people are upset with the interview because Miller was overcome by his own emotions. I don’t know that Cooper was particularly out of line.

NotCoach on February 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

That’s the main issue for me.

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Great point!

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

“Your house just burned down with your family in it. Just one question: How do you feel?”

bmmg39 on February 17, 2014 at 12:23 PM

This interview was typical of almost all the classic journolistic interviews at the scene of accidents: “Tell me Ms victim, how do you feel about all your children and husband being smashed to pieces in the car wreck?” as he/she shoved a microphone in the victims face, chipping two teeth. I think Money Python would have the best answer to this eternal reporter’s question if anyone can find it.

Old Country Boy on February 17, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Old Country Boy on February 17, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Good perspective.

22044 on February 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Glad we’re back on the same page, no offense meant earlier.

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM

jake49 on February 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

Bode has spoken openly about the death of this brother – and his custody battle for his children. It’s all out there.

I honestly think the emotion we saw was more about how hard he has trained for the last 4 months – and that the training was his form of self medication – self therapy. Finding something to focus on – outside all this personal issues.

I hope he has the emotion strength to compete in Super-G and the Slalom. Not sure he will do both.

I cannot imagine being the focus of so much personal attention.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:27 PM

The NBC reporting is stupid.

The constant yackers during the competition is stupid.

The Miller drama, for days, is stupid.

The commenting on the thread…oh well, there is a theme.

p.s. jake, you fool, you exposed yourself. Now you can suffer the consequences. I say this with concern for you. Now the entire world knows who you are. You only have yourself to blame.

Schadenfreude on February 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM

NotCoach on February 17, 2014 at 12:22 PM

You get it. The entire drama-on-TV is for soap operas. This includes all parties.

Schadenfreude on February 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Schadenfreude on February 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Fear not – I am ok with who I am.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM

Fear not – I am ok with who I am.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:29 PM

You miss the god-damned point – it’s not about “how/who you are”; it’s a matter of security. Wake up already.

This is not nirvana.

Schadenfreude on February 17, 2014 at 12:31 PM

JAM on February 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM

So, it wasn’t just me? I was literally yelling at the TV, “Geez, let it go woman!”

Fallon on February 17, 2014 at 12:32 PM

Schadenfreude on February 17, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Ah – I take your point, and appreciate the concern and the lesson.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 12:33 PM

The things that people get bent out of shape over is truly a sight to behold.

anuts on February 17, 2014 at 12:49 PM

This is the kind of sh*t that happens when the networks focus on the “human interest” story instead of the competition itself.

All for the wussification of American men…

*spits*

Defenestratus on February 17, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Schadenfreude, I understand your point as well and appreciate you bringing it up. We are all friends here, almost family. I learn a lot from the comments and external links that people provide. We’re more tolerant than the lefties and hopefully there’s never any thoughts of malice for having a healthy disagreement with someone. I just needed to say that because in all years of being here I haven’t seen this situation and certainly never wanted to be a part of it!

Also, Snowden is either killing stray puppies or being forced to watch women’s curling, so our personal information is now safe with the good folks at the NSA.

bfinstock79 on February 17, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Well, the reporter got to make herself part of the story.

Success.

Murphy9 on February 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM

NBC broadcasting the Olympics? Who knew? They are crap (and NO I DON’T GET their CABLE version) total crap.
Got back from the range and heard about the USA v. Russia ice hockey game but wanted to watch some of it anyway. What do I get?
Still photos pop up on the HDTV screen. STILL PHOTOS with some lameazz commentary from the NBC ‘correspondents’.
HOW LAME IS THAT? Still photos?
They couldn’t even have the DECENCY of showing some edited VIDEO of the games interesting moments?
OK so we’d be watching the Russian NHL players against the American NHL players … SO WHAT?
It came down to a shoot-off and NBC didn’t even SHOW THAT with video. Jeezus H. Christ.
Damn NBC … they are LOOSERS. And they showed the damn CROSS COUNTRY Sking RELAY event? START to FINISH … almost TWO HOURS?
WTFO?

Missilengr on February 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM

vitaatcaritas on February 17, 2014 at 11:33 AM

Be careful – you are speaking without first hand knowledge – and you are wrong.

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Thank you for speaking up, Mr. Goose

rlwo2008 on February 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM

What would you expect Christin Cooper and NBC to do? Actually report the news? Report on the plethora of shenanigans being committed by the federal government? Well…she’d be all over shenanigans by the Republicans.

TulsAmerican on February 17, 2014 at 1:04 PM

NBC’s coverage of the Olympics has been laughable.

Willie Geist reviewing who’s trending on FB or Twitter? Are you kidding me? And now this imbecile and her questions about a dead sibling?

This is a microcosm of what’s wrong with our country. An obsession with things either best left ignored (social media trends – WOW!) or personal/not appropriate (the Miller episode). Why not just cover the goddamned Olympics and the events.

All these tales of woe about single moms and dead relatives is nauseating. STFU and just cover the competition.

dpduq on February 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM

I watched that interview and was horrified by the reporter, she knew he was breaking down and “went for the kill”…anything for a story, the sanctity of someones life is of no consequence…

right2bright on February 17, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Missilengr on February 17, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Amen.

As for the article, I thought she dug more than she needed, and it’s a common “skill” among all these olympic reporters. BOTH times Shani Davis didn’t medal, they kept pestering him. He gave a decent answer, that he tried hard, and felt he was doing well, but the Dutch just outskated everybody… and they keep asking him how he should have skated, how he feels, etc. Then there’s the awkward pause when you know the athlete is done and the reporter is just sitting there trying to think of some other “edgy” question to pose.

Just stupid. Happened to Shaun White too.

If you can’t tell, I hate sports commentators/reporters something fierce.

Effay5 on February 17, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Well, the reporter got to make herself part of the story.

Success.

Murphy9 on February 17, 2014 at 12:55 PM

The definition of journalism these days.

Bubba Redneck on February 17, 2014 at 1:27 PM

If I had to choose between the usual garbage “we as a nation” usually talk about like Miley Cyrus and Michelle Obama’s dancing skills and Mitt Romney’s Netflix movie and whether to deport Justin Bieber and a host of other topics I could give a rat’s patootie about, I have no problem about discussing athletes who have trained their whole lives to be on this platform.

The athletes are the only part of the tacky corporate and political spectacle that is the Olympics, closer in tradition to Rome’s bread and circuses than the original Greek games.

That said, the backstory and the montages are irritating. Bode’s wife the volleyball player didn’t need to be miked. We didn’t need to see the lead up to what was a thoughtless question that would provoke a nearly guaranteed result.

Yes, the reporter meant to make Miller cry, and four questions about his dead brother was way over the line of what is common decency. It should have been about his performance, not about his personal loss coupled with a disappointing tie for the bronze at the end of his career.

This is why I see not a hair’s breath of a difference between MSNBC and their parent channel. Just pure trash that reliably lowers the bar for humanity every day they’re on air.

ezspirit on February 17, 2014 at 1:30 PM

My wife and I were just talking last night about how bad the NBC Olympics coverage has been. Worse than usual. Bob Costas out with Pink eye, and Matt Lauer covers for him? MATT LAUER?

Please.

You have Dan Patrick there. Why not have him cover? You know, an actual sports person?

portlandon on February 17, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Willie Geist reviewing who’s trending on FB or Twitter? Are you kidding me?

That is also stupid. I noted there was a figure skater from Highland Park, IL, and they went to great lengths to talk about how many subscribers there are to his Youtube channel.

ezspirit on February 17, 2014 at 1:35 PM

jake-the-goose, thanks for that information.

My own take is that even if Miller is ok with this interview by his old buddy, I’m the customer, and I don’t like to see that garbage. She pushed it just a little too far when she asked the same question two or three times. I loathe that style of reporting, and it’s why I quit watching the Olympics years ago. This is the first Olympics I’ve watched in years, and if NBC keeps this up, I’ll revert to being a non-watcher. NBC is a force for evil in the world, so I rarely watch it for that reason.

I do like to see some background on the athletes, but whenever they start gratuitously milking it for tears, I’m out. I’m the customer and I’m not happy with the product.

juliesa on February 17, 2014 at 1:36 PM

What I think is worse than the questions is that the camera continued to stay on him after he walked away. He obviously wanted privacy. Even someone on the other side of the barrier was waving at the camera man to stop. NBC could and should have cut away.

behiker on February 17, 2014 at 1:37 PM

They made a bobsledder review his whole run and critique himself.

ezspirit on February 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM

Jake – appreciate your chiming in. I don’t think the issue is whether Bode is a jerk or was a jerk and has reformed himself or whatever. It is what passes for journalism these days and what is her job – much like the locals who are interviewd after a twister takes down most of their house. Invariably the question comes,” How do you feel?”

“Well how the hell do you think I feel you moron!!”

The how do you feel question and prying into personal thoughts in a sporting event or a tragedy is in my mind the most manipulative, stupid line of questioning on the books. And that sports go to it all the time makes me watch less and less of the stuff surrounding the events themselves. With commercial breaks, and incessant fluff pieces weaved in to the nightly program, the broadcast is almost unwatchable. The only saving grace is not having Costas on air, who is just about insufferable anymore in any format.

These are games, with a few flags thrown in. Why must they warp it to make it something vulger and putrid. I walked out of the room, I just couldn’t watch it anymore. I didn’t realize until I say this story this morning what it had evolved into. I guess I am in the minority on the fact that the event should be the story, but I realize journalism has been all about their process for such a long time I am just suprised I got that annoyed. TV makes it awfully easy to turn it off.

Zomcon JEM on February 17, 2014 at 1:43 PM

give me a break — our emotions are our own — no one can MAKE us cry or experience any emotion — another tempest in a teacup — get a life, folks

loveyouall on February 17, 2014 at 1:46 PM

juliesa on February 17, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Great post – thank you

jake-the-goose on February 17, 2014 at 1:46 PM

They made a bobsledder review his whole run and critique himself.

ezspirit on February 17, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I literally cannot stand that type of “reporting”. One question–that’s it. Don’t ask the same question repeatedly in a blatant effort to get them to cry on camera. Why do they think it’s a good idea to repel the viewer so?

juliesa on February 17, 2014 at 1:46 PM