Sure, let’s have a grumble thread about “House of Cards” too

posted at 8:21 pm on February 17, 2014 by Allahpundit

Alternate headline: “Netflix releases sneak preview of next Clinton presidency.” Stop here if you’re worried about spoilers, needless to say.

No show about a guy having threesomes and pushing people in front of trains while, oh yeah, engineering a presidential coup can truly be bad. My problem with season two is that it sometimes felt like “Idiocracy” if Luke Wilson had been a villain. Is there no one in this entire imaginary world who can match wits with Frank, even if just to make him break a sweat? After about 30 serial betrayals, President Walker finally seems to see through him — and then is instantly won over again with Frank’s stupid letter offering to take the fall for the Chinese donations. Season one worked because Frank had two formidable nemeses: Zoe Barnes, the one character as cold-blooded as him (Claire’s ruthlessness is an expedient of power, I think, not something that comes naturally), and Raymond Tusk, whom you sensed might have the brains and wherewithal to take Frank down. In season two, Zoe’s dead within 20 minutes and Tusk, apart from digging up a little dirt about Claire’s affair, is forever playing defense. No one sees Frank coming, ever, even though he’s a terrible liar. Spacey can. not. resist. delivering Frank’s most egregious lies with a knowing half-smirk, his voice dripping with an almost sing-songy patronizing faux-sincerity. Even if you didn’t know for a fact that he was lying, you’d know. He’s John Edwards to the thousandth power. And yet his smarmy sh*t-eating grin works on everyone he needs to manipulate, all of whom are seasoned political pros with decades of Beltway experience. (The only time he feigned concern convincingly, I thought, was when his liberal colleague told him about his wife’s Alzheimer’s.) There isn’t one moment I can think of where he seemed in danger of being outwitted or of having overplayed his hand; the blame-me letter to Walker, in particular, was such a lame deus ex machina that I took it as the writers essentially giving up on presenting him with challenges. The fun of the show, I realize, is watching Frank pull people’s strings, but there’s got to be some resistance at some point. Otherwise you’re just watching a puppet show.

Two other points. One: I can’t get over the idea of the Senate passing entitlement reform entirely on Democratic votes. I can buy the idea of a VP nominee pushing a reporter onto the tracks at a metro station and no one noticing. I can buy the idea of a sitting president seeking outside marriage counseling and taking prescription drugs and then waiving his privilege against having that information divulged. I can even buy “Idiocracy.” But Democrats passing entitlement reform — in order to clear the way for the president to blather about China in the State of the Union? C’mon. Two: There are a lot of media cameos, especially from MSNBC hosts. I’m not complaining about it; whining at reporters for blurring fact and fiction imputes an ethical gravitas to them that shouldn’t be imputed. But it’s odd to see them popping up on a show that’s all about suckers having the wool pulled over their eyes. Except for Zoe and her two colleagues, no one in the media has the faintest idea that the “news” they’re pushing every day is just the residue of Frank’s murderous power play to steal the presidency. It’s surreal watching real TV personalities commenting earnestly — just as they would in real life — on scandalous little developments that you the viewer know are completely orchestrated by Frank and his enemies to take each other down a peg. This is, I guess, their way of winking at the fact that they know the people they cover are corrupt, but it felt strange, as if they were admitting it’s all a game and they’re in on it.

I’m taking it on faith that Frank and Claire will, eventually and inevitably, end up turning on each other. It’s worth watching the show going forward if only for that.

Comments

There are a lot of media cameos, especially from MSNBC hosts.

Is one of them the reporter that gets pushed onto train tracks?

Cuz, that might make me watch.

lorien1973 on February 17, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Loved season 1. Haven’t seen any of season 2 yet. Will there be a season 3?

xNavigator on February 17, 2014 at 8:24 PM

Wow, Killary got a face lift!

ToddPA on February 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Zoe’s dead within 20 minutes…

Zoe Barnes gives a whole new meaning to the term “rail meat.”

bettycooper on February 17, 2014 at 8:26 PM

I saw the original British version which was very good.

Anyone know how this one compares to it?

sharrukin on February 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

AP! Did you watch the whole season?

If not, how far did you get?

bettycooper on February 17, 2014 at 8:30 PM

I haven’t watched this show, but at work everyone talks about it as being good. I may have to play catch-up and give it a chance…Ever since LOST was over I haven’t gotten into any other series.

JetBoy on February 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Get outta my head.

Just about everything annoying me about this show and eliciting regular “yeah right” comments is noted here. Particularly Spacey’s delivery and characterization, which is not good ’cause he’s the lead. The moment Zoe turned and looked toward the deserted end of the subway platform I knew it was her last scene. It’s just too easy too often.

MaxBC on February 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM

What on earth are you all talking about?

/blissfully ignorant of contemporary pop culture

Claygate Pearmain on February 17, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Wow. So the body count is up to 2?

I haven’t finished season 1 yet, but I don’t mind spoilers.

22044 on February 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Is this a tv show. I thought it was about our central government.

crankyoldlady on February 17, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Personally, as someone who works in the industry, and is therefore, but definition an incredibly easy mark for producers of anything that attracts an audience (read: I’ll watch just about anything, and unapologetically so) , I already have enough trouble trying to keep from burning out my DVR every season. That said, I’ll take a pass on shows which choose to falsely portray people they disagree with, whether they do so out of a desire to increase ratings, or are simply and deliberately obtuse, thank you very much.

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

You’r right. The politics are nonsense, contrary to Mr. Spacey’s statements. FU’s downfall is coming. He has a dirty little secret besides the murders he has personally committed. Everyone is sleezy in that show. When Zoe threatened Rachel, I thought the hell with her. And what is with the guy holding Rachel de facto hostage? And did we really need the girl on girl schtick? Maybe, Ellen Page will be in season 3?

Blake on February 17, 2014 at 8:45 PM

I saw all of season one and two. Season was alright but season two was way too fictional. A democratic house and senate impeaching a president for taking proscription pills? Come on.

loveofcountry on February 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Wow. So the body count is up to 2?

I haven’t finished season 1 yet, but I don’t mind spoilers.

22044 on February 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Possibly 3…

One thing about the brit series, the death of the reporter kept leaking into FU’s conscious and became more and more frequent.

Blake on February 17, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Never seen the show, but from the description, I can see why Obama really likes it.

Midas on February 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Plus that gay threesome scene between Frank, Mitchell and Claire was just weird. There was absolutely no need for it. All in all, season two sucked.

loveofcountry on February 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

loveofcountry on February 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM

That was stupid. Also the wives intruding on their husbands at work, e.g., when Walker’s wife has to ask if they should bring a gift when they have dinner at the Underwoods. Also, the Freddy story. He served his time and turned his life around. If the ribs are good, people will come. In fact, if his ribs are as good as FU claims, there should already be lines around the block.

Blake on February 17, 2014 at 8:52 PM

loveofcountry on February 17, 2014 at 8:46 PM

LofC, is that you? It’s “nc” from Twitchy. (Couldn’t use the same name here.)

If this is a different loveofcountry, then I beg your pardon.

ncinca on February 17, 2014 at 8:52 PM

loveofcountry on February 17, 2014 at 8:49 PM

You’re weird and you suck. That would be right up your alley.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 17, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Im at episode 4

cmsinaz on February 17, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Another remake.

They could have stopped with Francis Urquhart.

aquaviva on February 17, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Fears for Piers [Morgan] in Kensington

VorDaj on February 17, 2014 at 8:56 PM

Wow. So the body count is up to 2?

I haven’t finished season 1 yet, but I don’t mind spoilers.

22044 on February 17, 2014 at 8:40 PM

Three (maybe four). #2 I expected as I’d watched the Brit version. #3 came late during season 2 & took me by surprise. There’s sort of a #4 – someone was delivered to what will almost certainly a bad end.

beancounter on February 17, 2014 at 8:57 PM

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Going to keep an eye on ya; my daughter’s going to college as a video production major, deeply wants to do movies, documentaries, TV, etc. ;)

Midas on February 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Macbeth had a higher body count, and richer soliloquies.

Frank has the right initials, though. Eff you.

Sting on February 17, 2014 at 8:59 PM

sharrukin on February 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

The American version does meet the high standard set by the earlier British series. I have been disappointed. The acting and writing was much better in the British version. Kevin Spacey is not as interesting as the British lead for reasons Allahpundit has already identified.

DrStock on February 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM

But hey, if the progs can turn smoking into what they would like, the R majorities in the house and senate can impeach Zero for sneaking Kools. And make it stick.

Sting on February 17, 2014 at 9:02 PM

Blake on February 17, 2014 at 8:52 PM

I agree. Zoe and Frank made season 1 very interesting. The viewers know Frank was corrupt and Zoe was that one person we were all rooting for to uncover his shenanigans. Why they decided to kill her off in the first 20 minutes of the first episode was just ridiculous.

I am not looking forward to season 3.

loveofcountry on February 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM

This is not nearly as good as the British version.

The Tea Party jibes and the entitlement plot made me gag, but as the series wore on, they didn’t bother me as much, because it presents an incompetent Democrat administration (a real fool for president), and a psychopath murderer as its VP standard-bearer, who seems mostly concerned with destroying everyone around him.

That said, as AP notes above, the plot was really weak and unbelievable.

blue13326 on February 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM

sharrukin on February 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Based on posts like this, not nearly as good. There’s a reason why I’m not watching Kevin Spacey & co attempt to beat Ian Richardson in his defining TV role.

Teleros on February 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM

It the brit series it was fun to see FU take down the king. Unfortunately, Prince William is starting to sound more and more like his father.

Blake on February 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM

I am not looking forward to season 3.

loveofcountry on February 17, 2014 at 9:03 PM

I wasn’t rooting for Zoe. She was corrupt and a real ahole when she threatened to write about Rachel’s father sexually abusing her if she didn’t talk to her. Since this was based on the brit series, Zoe should have met her fate in season one. I think season 3 will be good. FU and Lady MacBeth have crossed too many people.

Blake on February 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Haven’t seen it yet….anything about Fort Marcy Park..?

d1carter on February 17, 2014 at 9:08 PM

DrStock on February 17, 2014 at 9:01 PM

This is not nearly as good as the British version.

blue13326 on February 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Based on posts like this, not nearly as good.

Teleros on February 17, 2014 at 9:04 PM

Sounds like I should probably just rewatch the original series again.

Thanks!

sharrukin on February 17, 2014 at 9:11 PM

Midas on February 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Excellent! Does she have a specific discipline she’s interested in?

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM

The thing that struck me most (only seen 3 episodes so far) is that immediately upon becoming VP, instead of moving into the VP’s mansion, a pretty good perq if you ask me, FU decides to spend *untold* taxpayer money wiring and securing his townhome so he can self-indulgently stay there.

Without even blinking at how much money he’s spending.

Funny how reality and royalty sound so similar here, ain’t it?

Lance Corvette on February 17, 2014 at 9:15 PM

read: I’ll watch just about anything, and unapologetically so)

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 8:44 PM

I’m curious about your take on “Lost Girl”.

I know both conservatives and liberals who love the show, both conservatives and liberals that can’t hang with it.

It is an enigma.

MichaelGabriel on February 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

I saw the original British version which was very good.

Anyone know how this one compares to it?

sharrukin on February 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

IMHO It doesn’t compare to it, because nothing can compare to the Shakespearean levels of evil mixed with ruthless intelligence that was Ian Richardson’s Francis Urquhart.

PackerBronco on February 17, 2014 at 9:21 PM

MichaelGabriel on February 17, 2014 at 9:16 PM

At the risk of sounding like a jingoistic elitist, I have trouble watching just about anything produced through the Canadian TV Fund, or any American series that relies too much upon Canadian locales.

They all just look like really expensive Mentos commercials, if you catch my drift.

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Midas on February 17, 2014 at 8:58 PM

Excellent! Does she have a specific discipline she’s interested in?

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 9:12 PM

She’s primarily interested in editing (if that’s what you’re asking, hehe). Has done a some scripting and directing as well as behind the camera work, but really wants nothing to do with acting, lol.

Midas on February 17, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I haven’t seen this show, and probably will never get around to it because I don’t care (‘Orange is the New Black’ is a different matter — great show), but I did watch that video. Can both these guys please come out of the closet? I don’t care that they’re gay. Unlike some here, I don’t care. But phoniness and lies and misrepresentation make me ill in general. GS’ marriage to whoever that dyke is is a sham It’s one of those Anthony Weiner/ Huma Abedin deals for which Dems are famous.

If GS was an honest broker, I’d give him a pass. But he’s not. He’s obviously misrepresenting himself as an “objective journalist” when he’s really a Dem party front man, so screw him. The dude’s a flamer.

WhatSlushfund on February 17, 2014 at 9:25 PM

True, the British series is better, but no one could see Urquart clubbing them in the back, either, Zoe had to go, just like Mattie Storin in the original, there was some exploration of the hacker world, the Tea Party came off as principled, if a little too trusting
the Lanegin business with Tusk is meant to suggest Adelson, but everyone is tied in to Fang,

narciso on February 17, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Midas on February 17, 2014 at 9:23 PM

That’s actually one of the few disciplines that is consistently in need of educated technicians.

The American Cinema Editors (A.C.E.) is arguably the best of the professional “guilds,” in that a)it’s not a union, and b)actively conducts outreach to the next generation.

Their internship program is among the best in the industry, and I highly suggest she interacts with them at every opportunity.

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Binge watched the whole enchilada Fri thru Sun.

Frank is despicable, sure, but he’s a Donk, and it reinforces the meme to the low-info folks that no matter how bad a Donk is, they still rule by Divine Right.

Plus, even if he tossed Rachel Maddow onto the tracks, somewhere, deep down, you’d know he’s doing it for the children.

Bruno Strozek on February 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Addendum: even if she isn’t selected for that particular internship program (it is highly competitive), editing grads have a far, far easier time landing gigs and paid internships than those of us who are simply natural born bullsh*t artists (i.e., producers, directors and writers).

FWIW, cinematographers and sound editors also enjoy a level of respect we creatives do not.

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM

I liked season 2, but the threesome was just crazy. And the idea of liberals complying in any way to impeach a Democrat and the media so critical was too unbelievable.

Dongemaharu on February 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Well no, Frank care’s about power, not principle, he’s ticked off the teacher’s union, the clean energy lobby, most of the big infrastructure players,

narciso on February 17, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 9:23 PM

I don’t get the Mentos reference, but if you work in Hollywood I can understand your attitude towards Canadian productions.

I was just curious if you (or anyone else has) had seen it.

MichaelGabriel on February 17, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Midas on February 17, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 9:28 PM

Brilliant; I’ll pass that along, thanks so much!

Midas on February 17, 2014 at 9:41 PM

The Times hated it, precisely because all of their vaunted illusions go up in smoke,

narciso on February 17, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Eric in Hollywood on February 17, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Interesting… I do music myself, as well as some voice work. Always thought sound editing would be fun, but not much beyond my own hard disk recording/editing in that context.

Thanks again, will pass your insights along!

Midas on February 17, 2014 at 9:44 PM

That was weird. My post got deleted. Maybe because I didn’t clean up my language? Should have copied it beforehand. Anyway, a rough quickly-typed approximation:

I haven’t seen this show, and probably will never get around to it because I don’t care (‘Orange is the New Black’ is a different story — great show), but I did watch the video above, and both KS and GS should come out of the closet. I don’t care that they’re gay, unlike perhaps some people here. But what I do oppose is lies, misrepresentation and hypocrisy. If GS was an honest broker, I’d give him a pass. But, let’s face it, the guy is presenting himself as an “objective journalist,” when he’s just a shill for the Dems, so all bets are off. His “marriage” to whatever her name is is a sham, just like with the Anthony Weiner/ Huma Abedin deal, for which Dems are famous.

Lies:

Liar:

WhatSlushfund on February 17, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Kevin Spacey always plays the villain, going back to Mel Profitt is Wiseguy, except for his part in ‘Darrow’ that’s a given,

narciso on February 17, 2014 at 9:54 PM

I don’t have any specific complaints and I’m through 5 episodes of season 2. I’m just not enjoying it as much as season 1 for some reason..it just seems dumb.

kahall on February 17, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I saw the original British version which was very good.

Anyone know how this one compares to it?

sharrukin on February 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

In ours Jugears realizes he completely lacks the capability to manage Grace Bros. and instead goes into politics. He then discharges Capt. Peacock because he wouldn’t give the order to fire on his own people, and Mrs. Slocum tells her odd double-entendres about her cat in front of Congress in asking for taxpayer funded contraception and/or pet care.

Gingotts on February 17, 2014 at 10:23 PM

It’s leftist propaganda described as a drama. It starts with two Chavez fans as lead actors. We have through season two, a female whip in an interacial relationship, a then VP and his partner in crime making out with their secret service agent, a lesbian relationship, a glorification of Planned Parenthood and on and on.

TRB on February 17, 2014 at 10:24 PM

There are a lot of media cameos, especially from MSNBC hosts… This is, I guess, their way of winking at the fact that they know the people they cover are corrupt, but it felt strange, as if they were admitting it’s all a game and they’re in on it.

Why does anyone watch this stuff?
The quote above is applicable to every media outlet.

Vince on February 17, 2014 at 10:29 PM

I watched season 1 when it was a well-kept secret. I love those times when the herd doesn’t blemish something unique; now it’s a sudden sensation. *sigh* I’ve only watched ep 1 of season 2. I’ve read enough comments here, esp the Sunday am thread, that hint they jumped the shark in season 2. Thought this may be the case, as usually happens when a show is thrust into sudden popularity. Oh well. I’ll take my time watching the season, and see if I can finish it.

I will say that season 2, ep 1 was disturbing on so many levels. Claire is a sophisticated, minimalist Cruella. Frank is absolutely unhinged on his power quest. It’s easy to see what he wants: the Presidency. So many skeletons in their closet. Who’s the protagonist? The remaining cast members are also psychotic with the exception of the two reporters helping Zoe.

Will anyone consider connecting the dots of the “99% accurate story lines” to the current Administration? If there’s something there that is……..

conservative pilgrim on February 17, 2014 at 10:35 PM

HOC is OK, but, “The Americans”, “The Bridge” and “Banshee” are much better.

derft on February 17, 2014 at 10:39 PM

I don’t watch HOUSE OF CARDS *because* Obama’s twitter account says he likes it. I think that’s more than enough evidence that the show isn’t watchable. Not in my household.

Lourdes on February 17, 2014 at 10:47 PM

This is a great show if you want to truly understand people that think of nothing but power.

Most people in our lives are believers of some sort, or rule followers. Only bosses and politicians live like this.

faraway on February 17, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Bruno Strozek on February 17, 2014 at 9:33 PM

That’s some great prose right there.

faraway on February 17, 2014 at 11:03 PM

Willemon, started out working for Schumer then Hillary and finally Dean, in that context it’s not so much of a stretch,

narciso on February 17, 2014 at 11:10 PM

No one sees Frank coming, ever, even though he’s a terrible liar.

Oh yeah,for sure… that could nevah happen… especially happen twice…

Hog Wild on February 17, 2014 at 11:39 PM

Just read this

Now I have to watch HOC.

Lourdes on February 17, 2014 at 11:50 PM

Loved the first season, loathed the second.

Everyone on the show exists to be outwitted by Frank and Claire. An entire season of that was very frustrating. At least in season 1 there was the possibility of them getting taken down. So I’m just hoping everything burns to the ground in season 3.

nicktjacob on February 18, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Btw, perfect critique, Allah.

nicktjacob on February 18, 2014 at 12:06 AM

sharrukin on February 17, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Yeah the original is perfect. This remake doesn’t sound so hot.

dogsoldier on February 18, 2014 at 5:30 AM

Honestly i was pretty lost this season. Very convoluted.

Pegcity on February 18, 2014 at 6:55 AM

They go to GREAT lengths to show the only loving relationship is the GAY relationship. All the heterosexual relationships are fraught with disfunction and lust, no love. Makes me sick I am so tired of this being shoved in my face.

djl130 on February 18, 2014 at 7:40 AM

Season 2 is tedious.

LilyBart on February 18, 2014 at 8:56 AM

I have watched both seasons and I hate every character. I’m looking forward to the final Gotterdammerung episode where an asteroid smashes D.C. in the middle of President Underwood’s State of the Union speech. How’s that for pain Francis?

The Insouciant Fedster on February 18, 2014 at 9:02 AM

I stopped watching after my suspension of disbelief collapsed with the parking garage murder… that was too stupid for me to want more.

mjbrooks3 on February 18, 2014 at 9:09 AM

Alternate headline: Hotair wants to deflect attention from the title of the home page.

corona79 on February 18, 2014 at 9:32 AM

JetBoy on February 17, 2014 at 8:33 PM

I went completely ape over Lost. Best show ever. I loved how much it was willing to f*ck with my head.

I’ve gotten into a couple of current ones lately, though. Longmire has been fun, and Justified is simply a kick in the ass. Can’t believe how much blood-letting there is in that show. And it’s impossible to not root for the main bad guys. As effed up as they are, they always seem to be going up against bigger bad guys. The main anti-heroes are a lot of fun.

And Timothy Oliphant just has … style. He has done a brilliant job of acting as a foil for other characters to develop over time. That takes a major ego-check to pull off. The show works because it has a very deep cast, and the writing is taking advantage of their strengths. He clearly got that early on, and has made sure (as Executive Producer for the last four seasons) to balance it all effectively.

I do miss Natalie Zea, though. Hot.

nukemhill on February 18, 2014 at 11:45 AM

nukemhill on February 18, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Oh. And as AP reminded me in another thread: Sherlock.

Holy. Crap. Amazing show.

nukemhill on February 18, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Blake on February 17, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Much agreed. Wasn’t a Zoe fan at all, but call me naive–I was not expecting her early demise. I think season 3 will be great though…shame I have to wait another year to see it.

But…I have True Detective, Vikings and Game of Thrones to keep me entertained. Sons of Anarchy too, although I still cant get over that finale…but I digress.

Bee on February 18, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Obama?

Bee on February 18, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Lourdes on February 17, 2014 at 10:47 PM

The show seems to be a fairly accurate representation of American politics. The politicians are mostly stupid and looking out for themselves. The Democrats are conniving, lawless, make moronic statements about the TEA Party, and willing to commit murder to cover their tracks. They might as well show it on C-SPAN.

Festus on February 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Its not that all of the characters in season 2 were stupid, just one. Frank wielded the president like a big dumb hammer to defeat everyone. The rest of the characters seemed to have a vague idea of what was going on.

I was really hoping that impeachment would go to the senate and that Frank would cast the final vote.

jhffmn on February 18, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I will miss Zoe. No hope for an ethical result, either in the real or the fictionalized Washington.

nitram on February 18, 2014 at 3:42 PM