Quotes of the day

posted at 8:31 pm on February 15, 2014 by Allahpundit

Speaking to House Democrats attending their annual issues conference on Maryland’s Eastern Shore, the president doubled down on his State of the Union promise to use his executive authority at every turn to advance policies benefiting working people.

“The single most important thing we have to do, not just as a party, but as a country, is make sure that there is opportunity for every single person, that we are focused every single day … making sure that if you are willing to work hard and take responsibility that you can get ahead,” Obama told his fellow Democrats.

“I want to work with Congress to make that happen. But, I’m not going to wait, because there’s too much to do. And America does not believe in standing still,” the president said.

***

2. Giving Congress and their staffs special taxpayer-funded subsidies for Obamacare

It was uncomfortable for Members of Congress when they realized that, through Obamacare, they had kicked themselves and their staffs out of the taxpayer-funded subsidies they were enjoying for health coverage. But the Administration said no problem and gave them new subsidies. In this case, “the Administration opted to stretch the law to save Obamacare—at the taxpayers’ expense.”…

4. Preventing layoff notices from going out just days before the 2012 election

There’s a law that says large employers have to give employees 60 days’ notice before mass layoffs. And layoffs were looming due to federal budget cuts in 2012. But the Obama Administration told employers to go against the law and not issue those notices—which would have hit mailboxes just days before the presidential election. The Administration “also offered to reimburse those employers at the taxpayers’ expense if challenged for failure to give that notice.”

5. Gutting the work requirement from welfare reform

The welfare reform that President Bill Clinton signed into law in 1996 required that welfare recipients in the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families program work or prepare for work to receive the aid. The Obama Administration essentially took out that requirement by offering waivers to states, even though the law expressly states that waivers of the work requirement are not allowed. “Despite [the law’s] unambiguous language, the Obama Administration continues to flout the law with its ‘revisionist’ interpretation,” write Slattery and Kloster.

***

The president at times insists he does not have the executive authority to stop deportations. That is incorrect. In fact, when it comes to immigration, presidential action taken immediately is exactly what’s needed to propel and transform the legislative debate

Other presidents, from President Franklin D. Roosevelt to President George H.W. Bush, have used executive action to defer deportations. In fact, so has President Obama. The Deferred Action for Childhood Arrival Program gave temporary immigration relief to young undocumented immigrants known as “Dreamers.” Through a June 2012 memorandum, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano directed immigration officials to exercise prosecutorial discretion for those who came to the United States when they were very young and who fit specific outlined DACA criteria. The measure did not confer permanent status, but it was designed to offer temporary relief until the enactment of immigration reform—precisely the sort of relief the president could extend to nearly all undocumented immigrants.

Some will raise questions about the political implications if the president were to act and whether he should—but there is no longer any question whether he can. The Supreme Court has repeatedly confirmed the president’s authority to decline to bring enforcement actions. In Heckler v. Chaney, the Court noted that it has historically “recognized on several occasions over many years that an agency’s decision not to prosecute or enforce, whether through civil or criminal process, is a decision generally committed to an agency’s absolute discretion.”…

Certain Republicans may say that expanding relief through direct Presidential action would threaten the debate about comprehensive immigration reform. The White House has promised a year of action and shouldn’t capitulate to any threats.

***

Given this historically unique situation with broad far-reaching implications, it falls on the Fourth Estate to educate the public about the illegality in their midst. The voting booth is the last venue available to enforce accountability on the executive. The press is also abdicating their responsibilities in that regard

The whole of the national political media establishment should be incensed by this administration’s effrontery. Instead, they are complacent. Their collective non-reaction has the cumulative effect of acclimating the nation to the rule of man over the rule of law. It is a condition that should move the honest to weep as the precepts of this, the most successful constitutional republic in human history, are perverted to further the political goals of one man in one fleeting moment. The acceptance of this manner of casual subversion is how republics die.

The press has a job to do and it is failing in its charge. That the majority of respected media outlets cannot even move themselves to justified criticism of this and other illegal maneuvers will be judged harshly by posterity.

A few might awaken to the dangerous precedent they have enabled when Obama is out of office and a new president subverts law in order to expediently pursue a goal deemed sufficiently critical. But the most searing indictments of the next president will be dismissed. The moral gravity of future admonitions will have been greatly diminished by their inaction today.

***

***

Comments

Comment pages: 1 6 7 8

Even more impressive live.

KCB on February 16, 2014 at 1:55 AM

I hear you..:)

Dire Straits on February 16, 2014 at 2:02 AM

It is great that we bumpkins get to be with you and Doc kenny on February 16, 2014 at 1:47 AM

I’m the bumpkin.

You may have missed my point.

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Good eeevenining

Lanceman on February 16, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Have you been scouting yet??..New ladies coming in for Race week??..:)

Dire Straits on February 16, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Not really. Totally out of my league.

That was my point. Here, I get to talk to someone like that.

I don’t do martinis, often.

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Oh, OK. I got a doctor and a lawyer for kids. They are just people like the rest of us and are very flawed. Both are fcuking bleeding heart lib fools…

OmahaConservative on February 16, 2014 at 2:09 AM

I’m the bumpkin.

You may have missed my point.

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:03 AM

OmahaConservative on February 16, 2014 at 2:11 AM

Have you been scouting yet??..New ladies coming in for Race week??..:)
Dire Straits on February 16, 2014 at 2:03 AM

You better believe it, Mr. Sultan!

Lanceman on February 16, 2014 at 2:12 AM

OmahaConservative on February 16, 2014 at 2:09 AM

It cost me a fortune…

OmahaConservative on February 16, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Lanceman on February 16, 2014 at 1:57 AM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on February 16, 2014 at 2:13 AM

I’m the bumpkin.

You may have missed my point.

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:03 AM

Dont’t confuse a low opinion of yourself for humility. Humility good; low opinion bad.

kenny on February 16, 2014 at 2:16 AM

Lanceman on February 16, 2014 at 1:57 AM
Good evening..:)
Dire Straits on February 16, 2014 at 2:13 AM

T’would appear someone’s drunker’ n the ol’ Pantherman.

Lanceman on February 16, 2014 at 2:19 AM

T’would appear someone’s drunker’ n the ol’ Pantherman.

Lanceman on February 16, 2014 at 2:19 AM

That may be me…

OmahaConservative on February 16, 2014 at 2:20 AM

T’would appear someone’s drunker’ n the ol’ Pantherman.

Lanceman on February 16, 2014 at 2:19 AM

LoLz..No actually not drunk..:)

Dire Straits on February 16, 2014 at 2:21 AM

T’would appear someone’s drunker’ n the ol’ Pantherman.

Lanceman on February 16, 2014 at 2:19 AM

How was Whorelando?

OmahaConservative on February 16, 2014 at 2:21 AM

You better believe it, Mr. Sultan!
Lanceman on February 16, 2014 at 2:12 AM

Two thumbs up!..:)

Dire Straits on February 16, 2014 at 2:22 AM

OK. I got a doctor and a lawyer for kids. They are just people like the rest of us and are very flawed. Both are fcuking bleeding heart lib fools… OmahaConservative on February 16, 2014 at 2:09 AM

And tbey don’t post here, do they?

I should have been more specific, I guess.

I respect Conservative smart successful people.

Learned opinions.

By the same vien, there are many Lawyers, and only one RWM.

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Good evening… hic… ;)

oscarwilde on February 16, 2014 at 1:30 AM

Happy Birthday!

KCB on February 16, 2014 at 1:44 AM

Hey…

oscarwilde on February 16, 2014 at 2:25 AM

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:23 AM

Got’cha. Thanks for clarifying…

OmahaConservative on February 16, 2014 at 2:28 AM

oscarwilde on February 16, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Happy Birthday..:)

Dire Straits on February 16, 2014 at 2:31 AM

Hey…

oscarwilde on February 16, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Good celebration?

KCB on February 16, 2014 at 2:32 AM

don’t confuse a low opinion of yourself for humility. Humility good; low opinion bad. kenny on February 16, 2014 at 2:16 AM

I don’t have a low opinion of myself.

Tell me.. how many of you held RWM in high regard?

In her league?

Same thing. Possibly.

It’s called respect.

Seldom in my real life do I encounter high intelligence. Realjy smart people. So when I do here, I’ll acknowledge it. Maybe learn something.

Or just enjoy. Soak it up.

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:38 AM

oscarwilde on February 16, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Happy Birthday..:)

Dire Straits on February 16, 2014 at 2:31 AM

Hey…

oscarwilde on February 16, 2014 at 2:25 AM

Good celebration?

KCB on February 16, 2014 at 2:32 AM

Pretty good, four quarts of cheap swill… (yea, probably going to be seriously hung over tomorrow) But, yea, pretty good…

oscarwilde on February 16, 2014 at 2:39 AM

Crashing. Tomorrow peeps!

KCB on February 16, 2014 at 2:40 AM

Tell me.. how many of you held RWM in high regard?

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:38 AM

The highest of regards…

oscarwilde on February 16, 2014 at 2:41 AM

Tell me.. how many of you held RWM in high regard?

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:38 AM

HIGHEST!!!! Why do you ask?

KCB on February 16, 2014 at 2:43 AM

I LIVE in Whorelando, Omaha!

Lanceman on February 16, 2014 at 2:48 AM

I LIVE in Whorelando, Omaha!

Lanceman on February 16, 2014 at 2:48 AM

Wow, learn something new every day… I never knew that Whorelando was in Omaha, I always thought it was in Florida… <— insert snarky laugh here…

oscarwilde on February 16, 2014 at 2:50 AM

Crashing. Good night HA.

KCB on February 16, 2014 at 2:50 AM

The highest of regards… oscarwilde on February 16, 2014 at 2:41 AM

Me to.

Respect for her did not equate to a low opinion of myself.

Wish she would come back.

I dig smart people. It’s why I come here.

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:52 AM

HIGHEST!!!! Why do you ask? KCB on February 16, 2014 at 2:43 AM

Someone confused terms,, humility vs respect.

At around 2:16.

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:59 AM

Tell me.. how many of you held RWM in high regard?

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:38 AM

I considered her one of the Best and Brightest People Alive…..and a Lynchpin of this Community….

Why do you ask?

williamg on February 16, 2014 at 3:00 AM

I thought it was SWs birthday. How come Oscar is celebrating it? Why?

That is like Dave and Dire wearing the same fedora.

SparkPlug on February 16, 2014 at 3:11 AM

“President Obama vowed Friday to do everything in his power to help the middle class – with or without Congress.”

I don’t think I can withstand much more of his help.

MH53J on February 16, 2014 at 3:13 AM

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 2:38 AM

I regarded her highly. Most people don’t know that secretly she wanted to blog like me.

But since Schad taught me it’s his fault.

SparkPlug on February 16, 2014 at 3:14 AM

davidk,
My apologies in regards to your early morning post (atheist one). I did a misdirection with the one that followed.

31giddyup on February 16, 2014 at 4:41 AM

1) Will Cruz run?

2) Do you want him to run?

3) Can he win?

My answers:

1) don’t know.

2) YES!!

3) YES!!!

Recent Cruz news: http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/198482-cruz-to-get-heros-welcome-in-iowa-and-new-hampshire

bluegill on February 16, 2014 at 5:56 AM

The sad thing is, one of the kids ‘helped’ a dope addict get an 0bama phone and enroll in the SNAP program a few months back. The doper didn’t ask—but Kristen thought she was being benevolent and helpful to a down and outer that we used to call a loser and pariah on society…

OmahaConservative on February 16, 2014 at 12:58 AM

A friend of mine said he knew a woman who had 8 phones. I hadn’t known about this program until he told me. He said your phone bill pays for it. I said so the taxpayers are paying for drug dealers and pimps in the slums to get burn phones.

Yeah are going to have a hard time re-educating the victims of the public school system.

Isn’t it nice that people of so many different ages can get together and have discussion. Doc Holiday is smart for such a young person. (grin)

crankyoldlady on February 16, 2014 at 6:30 AM

bluegill on February 16, 2014 at 5:56 AM

Cruz news. It rhymes. His campaign should use that.

crankyoldlady on February 16, 2014 at 6:31 AM

Yep, but it reminds me a little bit of “blue’s clues,” that popular children’s television show from a few years ago. :-)

bluegill on February 16, 2014 at 7:21 AM

and to think without Sarah’s help Cruz would have never won.

(typed on my iphone, on an elliptical, while wearing sporti fogs)

renalin on February 16, 2014 at 7:27 AM

renalin on February 16, 2014 at 7:27 AM

Snort!

Naturally Curly on February 16, 2014 at 7:32 AM

The press is also abdicating their responsibilities in that regard…

LOL, responsibilities. Our press is made up of spoiled communists.

They’ll take up their “responsibilities” and then some if a Republican ever get elected POTUS again.

Punchenko on February 16, 2014 at 7:34 AM

If you’ve never been to a NASCAR race,, it’s pretty fun. With a designated driver and a pocket full of money.

Better than golf.

wolly4321 on February 16, 2014 at 1:09 AM

Before I had the stroke, Mr. Duh and I used to camp out in the infield from Wednesday until the Monday after the race for the 500 and July race. Those were some wild times.

Plus it became too darn expensive. If I remember correctly, the last time we went it cost $700 just to get in the gate.

Flora Duh on February 16, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Lsm won’t cry foul until the next gop president does the exact same thing
…the talking heads will do the exact same thing….. OK with Obama very bad for gop

Infuriating

cmsinaz on February 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Lsm won’t cry foul until the next gop president does the exact same thing

Infuriating

cmsinaz on February 16, 2014 at 8:03 AM

Agreed. But if a republican president abuses the EO privilege as Obama does, I’ll be crying foul also. That’s one of the differences between democrat voters and most republican voters. We’re not afraid to call-out and hold accountable the dirty pols on our side.

Flora Duh on February 16, 2014 at 8:15 AM

renalin on February 16, 2014 at 7:27 AM

Close, but replace “typing” with using dictation. All comments are spoken out and converted to text. Then punctuation is fixed, if time permits, before pressing submit.

bluegill on February 16, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Blessed Sabbath, Patrots! And, trolls.

My take:“America and the Son of God”

kingsjester on February 16, 2014 at 8:41 AM

everything in his power to help the middle class – with or without Congress.

“I don’t need no stink’n Constitution”……”what’s da limp dyck Congress gonna do”….”now bend over”

roflmmfao

donabernathy on February 16, 2014 at 9:07 AM

We’re not afraid to call-out and hold accountable the dirty pols on our side.

Flora Duh on February 16, 2014 at 8:15 AM

true they circle the wagons….

cmsinaz on February 16, 2014 at 9:09 AM

bluegill on February 16, 2014 at 7:21 AM

…tell me …you haven’t ‘tapped’ them all?

KOOLAID2 on February 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM

typed on my iphone, on an elliptical, while wearing sporti fogs)

renalin on February 16, 2014 at 7:27 AM