Obama: CA Central Valley drought due to climate change

posted at 1:01 pm on February 15, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

While the East Coast and Midwest suffer through a cold and snow-heavy winter, the people of California are in the midst of a drought — and a particularly bad one, even for a state that has regular battles with droughts over the course of my lifetime. Most people don’t recall this, but those of us who grew up with gas rationing in the Golden State during the energy crises of the 1970s also grew up with water rationing, too — including odd/even days for watering lawns and gardens, and request-only glasses of water in restaurants.  Most of Southern California would naturally be a desert if it wasn’t for water management even in the best of years, and the Central Valley would never have become an agricultural powerhouse without it.

Yesterday, Barack Obama came to California’s Central Valley to declare that global warming is what has made the drought so difficult for farmers there:

Actually, the problem for Central Valley farmers is that their water got taken from them by a federal judge, who put a baitfish ahead of human beings. Central Valley’s water-management system was designed to deal with droughts that last as long as five years, but the reservoirs that held its lifeblood got emptied into the ocean to rescue the Delta smelt. It began five years ago, and as Investors Business Daily reports, the locals remember it better than Obama does:

The one thing that will mitigate droughts in California — a permanent feature of the state — is to restore the water flow from California’s water-heavy north to farmers in the central and south. That’s just what House Bill 3964, which passed by a 229-191 vote last week, does.

But Obama’s plan is not to get that worthy bill through the Senate (where Democrats are holding it up) but to shovel pork to environmental activists and their victims, insultingly offering out-of-work farmers a “summer meal plan” in his package.

“We are not interested in welfare; we want water,” Nunes told IBD this week. He and his fellow legislator Valadao are both farmers who represent the worst-hit regions of the Central Valley in Congress and can only look at the president’s approach with disbelief.

“He’s not addressing the situation,” Valadao told us.

“They want to blame the drought for the lack of water, but they wasted water for the past five years,” said Nunes.

The two explain that California’s system of aqueducts and storage tanks was designed long ago to take advantage of rain and mountain runoff from wet years and store it for use in dry years. But it’s now inactive — by design. “California’s forefathers built a system (of aqueducts and storage facilities) designed to withstand five years of drought,” said Nunes.

“We have infrastructure dating from the 1960s for transporting water, but by the 1990s the policies had changed,” said Valadao.

Environmental special interests managed to dismantle the system by diverting water meant for farms to pet projects, such as saving delta smelt, a baitfish. That move forced the flushing of 3 million acre-feet of water originally slated for the Central Valley into the ocean over the past five years.

In fact, Obama threatened to veto a bill that would have resolved this situation almost exactly two years ago.  Instead, Obama insisted that the environmentalists needed to keep channeling water away from this rich agricultural resource and from the farmers who had worked it for generations, thanks to their own engineering genius at defeating droughts, to pour that water into the Pacific Ocean instead.

This isn’t global warming. It’s what happens when you stop irrigating land by purposefully taking water away. That buck stops at the podium Obama used to blame Gaia and carbon for his own sins of commission and omission.

Previous posts:

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Next time wave as you go by. I’ve been living smack-dab in the middle of it all my life.

myiq2xu on February 15, 2014 at 1:50 PM

I did wave, but you were busy shooing bait fish loving hippies off your lawn or something and you missed it.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM

The fluking balls on this a**hole.

jawkneemusic on February 15, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Bmore, friend, when time allows, take this pic and change Michelette’s head into the one of the King of Jordan or Hollande (with whom Barack really danced at the recent WH dinner, no kidding).

Schadenfreude on February 15, 2014 at 2:18 PM

Next up. Mudslides plague CA!

Bmore on February 15, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Wait, first you need the fires, then the Santa Ana winds, and then the El Nino rains, and then you get the house eating slides.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 15, 2014 at 2:19 PM

In the late ’80′s I worked on a project in the desert above the strip in Vegas. It was a multi-million dollar “club house”, literally in the middle of the desert. A few trac housing in the distance. No paved roads, but some curbing was in. About 10 years later I was back in Vegas and decided to drive up to see what became of the place. I knew exactly how to get there, having driven it every day for 7 months. I could NOT FIND IT….among all the trees and “lakes”.

Browndog on February 15, 2014 at 2:19 PM

I’m not sure if liberalism is a mental disorder or not, but I’m pretty sure hysteria over global warming is.

LashRambo on February 15, 2014 at 2:11 PM

I’ve always thought liberals have a learning disability. They are incapable of experiencing reality.

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:19 PM

SNAIL DARTER!!!!!!

ladyingray on February 15, 2014 at 2:20 PM

Obama went to Palm Springs, where he will golf on one of the beautiful 18-hole golf courses out in the desert that are kept green with irrigation water.

myiq2xu on February 15, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Quick, someone check on Beyonce’s whereabouts.

slickwillie2001 on February 15, 2014 at 2:20 PM

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:19 PM

My son has a learning disability. He experiences reality serving in the USAF and he is fiercely conservative.

Liberals are simply stupid.

ladyingray on February 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM

They (environmentalists) just want us all to go back to living in caves!

Liberty or Death on February 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM

What is really crazy is that that is the winning argument. People are willing to produce less food for the world for the Delta Smelt but they probably wouldn’t be so hot to ignore improvements in their own lives.

Cindy Munford on February 15, 2014 at 2:21 PM

Reminds me of Saddam Hussein’s Draining of the Mesopotamian Marshes. …….
LashRambo on February 15, 2014 at 2:03 PM

I had forgotten about that. You have a good memory.

LegendHasIt on February 15, 2014 at 2:23 PM

Thank him for his service. There are many different kinds of learning disabilities. I can’t read pictures. Those little icons on the dashboard don’t mean anything to me until I find out what they are for. I also can’t read graphs and charts. it has to be in prose for me to understand it.

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I think we all know it’s not global warming – and that Obama is a compulsive liar.

What I think it really is, is a huge part of his agenda to bring America to its knees and destroy everything good that this country has achieved.

I call it treason.

karra on February 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

I call it treason.

karra on February 15, 2014 at 2:25 PM

And things won’t improve until enough people see it as treason.

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:27 PM

Evil clown.

jalegend on February 15, 2014 at 2:28 PM

He who smelt it. Dealt it.

HumpBot Salvation on February 15, 2014 at 2:29 PM

Next up for Obama and global-warming cult:

STOP CONTINENTAL DRIFT!!

fred5678 on February 15, 2014 at 2:33 PM

STOP CONTINENTAL DRIFT!!

fred5678 on February 15, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Oh my gosh! Is it still drifting?

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I can’t wait for ManBearPig to weigh in on this.

307wolverine on February 15, 2014 at 2:36 PM

STOP CONTINENTAL DRIFT!!

fred5678 on February 15, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Exactly. You don’t want to wind up like Guam and capsize, do you?

307wolverine on February 15, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I’m willing the throw the Delta Smelt under the bus, who’s with me? Are there some big knobs we can turn somewhere?

Cindy Munford on February 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I don’t know how they are for eatin’, but I say lets bread and fry the mf’ers.

steebo77 on February 15, 2014 at 2:37 PM

Are there some big knobs we can turn somewhere?

Cindy Munford on February 15, 2014 at 1:05 PM

I think most of the ‘big knobs’ associated with this are in DC.

GWB on February 15, 2014 at 2:39 PM

Pick any of the issues caused by Obama’s policies … any issue … The IRS, the NSA, Fast and Furious, Benghazi, crony capitalism dollars wasted on green energy companies now bankrupt, the economy, high unemployment, more people on food stamps than ever, Obamacare, …

No matter what …

IT WON’T BE OBAMA’S FAULT! There will be someone else to blame.

With Harry Truman, the buck stopped with him!

With Barry O, the buck never got that far!

r27cj on February 15, 2014 at 2:42 PM

If the Republicans weren’t such a bunch of old fogies they would come up with some clever ways to short circuit what the socialists are doing. Where are all the clever people who won WWII? Cyber attacks anyone?

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:43 PM

STOP CONTINENTAL DRIFT!!

fred5678 on February 15, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Oh my gosh! Is it still drifting?

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM

Heck, the continents might be moving faster than the ocean is rising. (I’m talking real rise, not what the GWists claim.)

GWB on February 15, 2014 at 2:44 PM

They (environmentalists) just want us all to go back to living in caves!

Liberty or Death on February 15, 2014 at 2:09 PM

The environmentalists would be happy if some of us, namely the conservatives and libertarians, stopped living!

r27cj on February 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM

LOL, comical.

What a blatantly lying, execrable sack of contemptible shit.

Midas on February 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM

GWB on February 15, 2014 at 2:44 PM

Well we’d better crreate a government agency to deal with this crisis.

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:47 PM

They say that sociopaths like Obama can pass polygraphs.
crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:10 PM

As one who lies with ease, Obama pathologically has always depended on being believed, even when his story changes. Polygraphs are not needed…all that’s needed is an uneducated, “gimme something for nothing” electorate. That’s why he is believed… He knows many people WANT to believe him…and they do. Notice how he rarely revisits his lies, and if he does, he uses obtuse language, scripted to confuse ans shade his original words.

He is a liar almost without parallel. Even Bill Clinton wasn’t as talented a liar as Obie.

marybel on February 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM

I don’t know how they are for eatin’, but I say lets bread and fry the mf’ers.
steebo77 on February 15, 2014 at 2:37 PM

They are tasty little critters. Don’t even have to bone and scale ‘em. Just cut off the head so you don’t have them givin’ you the bad-eye. Easy peasy.

marybel on February 15, 2014 at 2:55 PM

How much weather is being caused by climate change? Maybe 1 part in 1,000.

In another silly pseudo-science rambling, the President’s science advisor, John Holdren, has recently stated, “Weather practically everywhere is being caused by climate change.”
Drought in California. Record snows in the East. It’s tempting for many to blame it all on our use of fossil fuels.

What Causes Weather?
Let’s start with the basics. Weather is caused by energy imbalances, primarily (1) between the solar heated surface of the Earth and the atmosphere above it, and (2) between different geographic regions (e.g. the tropics vs. high latitudes; the warm oceans versus cold continents in winter).

These energy imbalances have associated temperature differences, which in turn cause atmospheric circulation systems which form clouds, precipitation, and high and low pressure systems.

How much energy is involved? On a global basis the average rate of solar energy absorbed by the Earth is estimated to be about 240 Watts per sq. meter. In order for the climate system to stay at the same average temperature year after year, the Earth has to lose exactly the same amount of energy (240 W m-2) to outer space, in the form of infrared energy.

It’s all about the energy…and especially about imbalances in energy, which causes “weather” as the ocean and atmosphere seek to reduce those imbalances. On a local basis, those imbalances can be tens or even hundreds of watts per sq. meter.

So, How Much of Weather Could be Caused by Manmade Climate Change?
Our best estimate of how much the climate system has been perturbed from energy balance comes from the slow warming of the oceans, which since the 1950s equates to a 1 part in 1,000 energy imbalance (say, if 240 W m-2 of solar energy has been absorbed on average, 239.75 W m-2 has been lost to space…the slight ~0.25 W m-2 imbalance leads to slow warming).

Now, how exactly can a 1 part in 1,000 energy imbalance lead Holdren to state, “Weather practically everywhere is being caused by climate change”? Well, all I can think of is that his statement is not based in science.

Maybe that imbalance in recent years is somewhat more…say 2 parts in 1,000 (about a 0.5 W m-2 imbalance). But even that depends upon whether you believe in the measurements of tiny, multi-decadal oceanic warming trends of tenths or hundredths of a degree (depending on depth).

And it’s far from clear that even that is entirely our fault.

Now, how that tiny imbalance gets translated into a change in weather is, admittedly, not well understood. But, ultimately, weather is still related to energy imbalances, and mankind’s role in changing those rates of energy flow is miniscule.

You might say, “But what about global warming causing a warmer Gulf Stream, which then clashes with the cold air masses and makes bigger East Coast snowstorms?” The trouble with that argument is that “global warming” warms those winter air masses more than it warms the oceans, reducing the temperature contrast. So, if the opposite is happening this winter, then it’s not due to global warming.

The idea that any of the weather we are seeing is in any significant way due to humanity’s greenhouse gas emissions verges on irrationality.

Murphy9 on February 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Go, Delta smelt!!! Eleventy+111!!! Swim, fishy, swim!!! Yay, li’l fishy!!! We don’t need food or veggies or farmers raping the earth and stuff – we get our food from the sto’, don’t ya know!!!

DublOh7 on February 15, 2014 at 2:59 PM

“Summer Meal Plan”? What kind of crap is that? “It’s okay if we ruin you, because you can go to 600 locations where we’ll feed you.”

He’d love it if everyone were dependent on him, personally, for everything.

I guess the only way leftists can get any self-esteem at all is by taking it from others.

Alana on February 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM

When our dim-witted President obeys his bosses and gives speeches claiming “Global Warming” is real, I can literally feel my blood pressure rise. Listening to him makes me physically sick.

And just to be clear (sad that I have to spell this out): It’s not his mixed-race background that prompts me to revile him, sorry, I don’t give two tin shits about that.

It’s because he’s obviously doing nothing more than repeating words he has been told to say. Just watch him when he speaks. He’s an actor, playing the President. His agenda, his goals, they are not his; they belong to whoever is controlling him.

That’s what makes me sick.

Fathom on February 15, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Don’t forget the spotted owl debacle that ruined the northwest’s timber industry. I didn’t hear Californians crying over that one.

HiJack on February 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I drove through the entire length of California’s San Joaquin Valley three weeks ago, and I have no qualms at all about calling it a dust bowl.

It was drier and more brown looking than the Sonoran Desert.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 15, 2014 at 1:45 PM

I’ve been up and down grapevine hill a few times driving an 18-wheeler. And I spent 2 hours on the San Bernadina Freeway.

I do not like driving in CA.

davidk on February 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Morano vs. Nye on Development in Poor Nations:

MORANO: ‘How is the white, wealthy Western Europe world, in Europe and the U.S., going to tell people of color, 1.3 billion in the developing world, they can’t have what we have? Who is Bill Nye to tell [the developing word] they can’t have carbon-based energy?’

NYE: ‘We don’t want to have less. We want to do more with less. And this is where the innovations come in.’

Nye is nothing but fail in every debate. A child entertainer.

Murphy9 on February 15, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Both halfs of the two party evil money cult are guilty as sin.

Take Calif. no new water projects for 30 / 40 years.
So, more people no more water, in fact less as the Indian Tribes won more water cases in Colorado, New Mexico and less snow and rain to sed down the Colorado River.

Not one dam on the Scramento River, na do ziltch.

The taxes did go up State and Federal, spent on wasteful pork and the commie dole.

Texas the same no new water impoundments it runs into the gulf.

Once more Greenpeace, Serria Club, Earth First, etal standing in the door of mankind well being.

Protect the fish, kill off the family and the human race.

Soon the thirst will overcome the fools standing in the door of lifel.

Seems it will not be a tree hugging , kiss the fish time.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 15, 2014 at 3:53 PM

Global Waming has put fools gold into Al Gore etal pockets.

The facts are still the same notwithstanding the lies.

Once more the msm is the gate keeper and they lie and distribute evil to the whole world.

A great evil done by a few who will be known and punished.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM

In 2011, there were an estimated 2.5 million illegal immigrants in California.

Californians consume an average of 124 gallons of water per day.

Sierra Club leaders in the mid-2000s fought off an insurgent effort trying to have the club take an explicitly anti-immigration stance, with some members claiming it was needed to overcome the effects of more people living more consumptive American life styles. The effort fell apart after a pitched battle.

Illegal immigrants consume approximately 1 billion gallons of water in California every 3 days.

MichaelGabriel on February 15, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I do not like driving in CA.

davidk on February 15, 2014 at 3:37 PM

I guess a lot of people don’t I used to like the freeways. I had no problem at all driving thm…in a car. If you drive a truck you have to look out for wind gusts. I was driving down out of the mountains once and right in front of me I saw a newspaper spinning around in the air. Uh oh, I thought. When I hit that wind it almost turned my car around. Wind comes up suddenly and goes away suddenly.

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 4:03 PM

In an on the scene shot a couple years ago, Hannity put a govt official on to give the “other” side. The guy tried to say that the water(?) rights had been sold by the state(?) and the delta smelt was a cover up — but he was cut off as he tried to explain. This sounds a lot more reasonable to me. Money is usually involved.

KenInIL on February 15, 2014 at 4:16 PM

r27cj on February 15, 2014 at 2:45 PM

I agree, they want everyone to stop living except themselves, because well, they don’t “pollute and harm” mother nature like us conservatives and libertarians do!

Liberty or Death on February 15, 2014 at 4:21 PM

All hail the Delta smelt!

Hog Wild on February 15, 2014 at 4:22 PM

This buffoonish clown would be funny if he were destroying so much in his wake.

Adjoran on February 15, 2014 at 4:48 PM

Quick! Somebody alert Michelle that her hubby’s environmental policies are creating food deserts.

onlineanalyst on February 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM

With the exception of a very narrow costal strip, the entire southern part of California is a desert. When I was with the Navy in San Diego if you drove a couple of miles east you were in the desert, but people kept building houses and towns in droves there and we see where that led.

Practical tip, if you live in a desert you wont have enough water.

Johnnyreb on February 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM

It’s really hard to have much sympathy anymore for California, when they keep electing liberal idiots like Jerry Brown, Nancy Pelosi, Barbara Boxer, and Dianne Feinstein. None of them give a damn about the Central Valley. They only care about the Hollyweird/Silicon Valley/Pacific Heights millionaires.

rockmom on February 15, 2014 at 4:54 PM

…CA is an enormous state. I lived ther for over 30 years before it bacame the political basket case it is now. The Central Valley never, to my knowledge, votes Democrat. They get outvoted. Period.

It’s LA and San Fran and the population centers on the dole that vote in Democrats…and there are lot more of these voters than the hard working farmers in Central CA…

marybel on February 15, 2014 at 1:52 PM

DITTO. The Left uses the population override via “sanctuary” areas (LA, SF among those) to ruin any competition from the Right or even Moderate voters.

I still vote in CA, and will continue to as long as I’m still here for the time, but it’s always a lost cause. You can vote for reasonable issues and candidates but they never win, not in CA.

The place needs to be divided into a few states, it’s far too unmanageable as is and Leftwing LA/SF/Sacramento continue to ruin any efforts to improve the place.

Lourdes on February 15, 2014 at 1:58 PM

As a lifetime Californian, I just want to add to the above that we conservatives are just as frustrated with our state government as you all are with our national government. So yeah, tell us what we “deserve.”

ncinca on February 15, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Murphy9 on February 15, 2014 at 2:57 PM

We’re talking about leftists here.

Irrationality is their default position.

Solaratov on February 15, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Here in the Bay Area we are at less than 10% normal rainfall to date. I’m loving it however since I’m in the middle of re-roofing my house, by myself. Ha

weathermen on February 15, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Ok serious question: is Obama really this dumb, or is he just high when he says this kind of dribble?

msualex on February 15, 2014 at 1:16 PM

ShainS on February 15, 2014 at 5:18 PM

Democrats are not worthy of the gift of water. I say we with-hold all water from democrats, progressives, socialists, etc for 2 months.

This will correct MANY if not MOST of the problems in the world.

Diluculo on February 15, 2014 at 5:31 PM

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Then you, in particular, should know better. I like you, but not so much now.

ladyingray on February 15, 2014 at 5:39 PM

Where are all the clever people who won WWII? Cyber attacks anyone?

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Why do you think they were GOP?

ladyingray on February 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Practical tip, if you live in a desert you wont have enough water.

Johnnyreb on February 15, 2014 at 4:50 PM

OK. Now I *have* to post THIS.

GWB on February 15, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Survey: 1 in 4 Americans Don’t Know Earth Revolves Around The Sun
And you wonder how we get the mindless Obamabot, product of the public schools…

Via AFP:

Americans are enthusiastic about the promise of science but lack basic knowledge of it, with one in four unaware that the Earth revolves around the Sun, said a poll out Friday.

The survey included more than 2,200 people in the United States and was conducted by the National Science Foundation.

Ten questions about physical and biological science were on the quiz, and the average score — 6.5 correct — was barely a passing grade.

Just 74 percent of respondents knew that the Earth revolved around the Sun, according to the results released at the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Chicago.

DinaRehn on February 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Why do you think they were GOP?

ladyingray on February 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I don’t. I have read about all the creative things that were being done back then. Some not even by anyone involved in government. Don’t ask me for specifics. I’d have to do research and I’ve gone off research.

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Forked tongue, power mad, money grubbing, Insane-Hussein and his dreary band of psychopaths and morons.

VorDaj on February 15, 2014 at 6:38 PM

STOP CONTINENTAL DRIFT!!

fred5678 on February 15, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Oh my gosh! Is it still drifting?

crankyoldlady on February 15, 2014 at 2:35 PM

I really wish some reporter with balls would ask him what his administration is going to do to stop continental drift.

Nutstuyu on February 15, 2014 at 6:43 PM

CA Central Valley drought due to climate White House change

(Corrected obvious error)

landlines on February 15, 2014 at 6:46 PM

The libs and environmentalists (but I repeat myself) are ruining this state. They’ve got their heads so far up their asses, it’s a wonder they can breathe.

GarandFan on February 15, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Thats the problem. Once you get far enough up there, you can just plug right into your own lungs.

Nutstuyu on February 15, 2014 at 6:50 PM

Yeah you heartless SOB’s don’t give a crap about the delta smelt.

mike_NC9 on February 15, 2014 at 6:53 PM

California drought 2014
US farm bill 2013-2014

22h
President Obama on California drought: Farm bill will include $110 million for ranchers, $20 million for communities hit by drought – @Stefanie_Cruz
see original on twitter.com
============================

Barack Obama
22h
President Obama on California drought: ‘Until we do more to combat carbon pollution this trend is going to get worse’ – @passantino
end of alert
=============

Fresno, CA, US
22h
Live video: President Obama discusses California drought in Fresno, Calif. – @NBCNews
read more on nbcnews.com
=========================

California, US
1d
President Obama will pledge to speed federal assistance to help California recover from a crippling drought – @Reuters
read more on reuters.com
=========================

canopfor on February 15, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Next up for Obama and global-warming cult:

STOP CONTINENTAL DRIFT!!

fred5678 on February 15, 2014 at 2:33 PM

Reunite Gondwanaland!

Franklin100 on February 15, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Born and raised in California. Lived there for 60 years. I fled California and the Sacramento Delta area three years ago. In our way driving to Texas we went through the central valley. I had not been through there for about 5 years previous. My wife and I actually cried upon witnessing the brown fields that were once verdant. It was quite startling.

All I can say is Feinstein, Boxer, and the SCOAMF will rot in hell if there is any justice.

NOMOBO on February 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Of course BO is talking out of his butt. There have always been cycles of droughts and flooding in the state. I’ve lived in CA for almost 45 years. Shortly after I moved there, there was a severe drought in the mid-70s much worse than the current one followed by torrential flooding in 1981-82.

FOAF on February 15, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Obama: CA Central Valley drought due to climate change

Right, and Benghazi was due to an amateur video.

*spit*

petefrt on February 15, 2014 at 7:18 PM

It’s stunning how little consequence there is to O’s constant lying.

clue30 on February 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Maybe if Dear Leader and his wife would stop flying separate planes to every vacationa and long weekend he would have some credibility on global warming…nah…he’s just lying again.

d1carter on February 15, 2014 at 8:20 PM

The more I think of Obama’s factually challenged public pronouncements, the more I think of that scene from the movie Animal House where the fraternity bros start saying “Bullspit” while pretending to cough when the villain is speaking during their expulsion hearing.

307wolverine on February 15, 2014 at 8:56 PM

There is no man-made Climate Change or Global Warming or whatever they are calling it this week. Obama as always, is lying again. But that’s what Democrats do.

Axion on February 15, 2014 at 9:00 PM

I’m surprised that he didn’t choke on his furry black tongue while trying to speak.

avagreen on February 15, 2014 at 9:21 PM

NOMOBO on February 15, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Welcome to Texas, which I’m sure you’ve already been told.

I’ve lived in California twice (as a teen) and have often wondered how it is doing overall. It was the remarkable place to live at that time. My parents used to travel by car each summer just to visit it as it was so beautiful, as well was the drive along Route 66 to get there. :)

I’ve dreaded to hear of what used to be a beautiful state. Your description is something I wish I’d never read.

avagreen on February 15, 2014 at 9:27 PM

It’s stunning how little consequence there is to O’s constant lying.

clue30 on February 15, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Yes, for us it is indeed stunning. Most of us don’t yet realize that our ethics are not their ethics, so that when we say ‘You Lie”, they say, “It was noble”. When ends justify means, lying is noble when it advances the cause.

Progressivism is a pernicious ideology. If you value liberty, it is poison.

petefrt on February 15, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Remember, it’s okay to kill babies, but the Delta smelt MUST be saved. The family farm should be saved, until it hurts a smelt. Leftists are just plain nuts.

idalily on February 15, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Obama is just a lying sack of shitt.

Sherman1864 on February 15, 2014 at 10:04 PM

I have a hard time feeling sorry for the Californians. They elect these morons and then, when the morons do what they said they were going to do, they start crying, “Woe is me.” Well stop electing them

As a resident of the central valley, I would advise you do your homework before making ridiculous statements like that. The central valley has a completely different demographic than the left coast. The interior of California is conservative (some areas are VERY conservative). We’re just vastly outnumbered.

eaglescout_1998 on February 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM

Some things just never change.

In the old days it was the witch doctors and medicine men who blamed bad weather on the sins of the people. Today it’s scientists and politicians… but it’s all the same thing..blaming bad weather on the sins of the people.

JellyToast on February 15, 2014 at 11:15 PM

of course its climate/global warming/ice age need to pay more taxes weather change thingy.

mmcnamer1 on February 16, 2014 at 12:09 AM

I do not like driving in CA.

Where else can you be driving 85 mph in bumper-to-bumper traffic and look over at the car in the lane next to you and see that the driver is a woman smoking a cigarette and applying eye make-up with 3 kids in the backseat?

On the other side is a beat-up 80′s Ford with expired tags that is filled with illegal aliens. In front of you is an SUV filled with teenaged girls who are busy texting each other. Behind you is a family of scared looking tourists from Iowa who are towing a camper-trailer.

myiq2xu on February 16, 2014 at 12:12 AM

Sorry for the farmers, not sorry for the rest of californians, they are blissfully unaware, and just go on blaming global warming, while rationing water and spying on neighbors and reporting water wasters to the authorities. They actually enjoy the whole thing, created conditions that support their globull warming propaganda, and empower their communist agenda including with reporting on each other.

anikol on February 16, 2014 at 12:14 AM

I think instead of a “meal program” the farmers should just eat the delta smelt, in secret of course.

Unfortunately this wouldn’t work because I’m sure there will be the snot nosed snail loper or some such thing to take it’s place.

Annielou on February 16, 2014 at 1:12 AM

This story is an absolute tragedy. The Obama administration destroys more than it creates.

marybel on February 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Unfortunately, the LIV will continue to vote for the Dems. When the Obamacare rollout debacle was at its peak last fall, I was in the hospital waiting for an elevator when I heard some hospital workers nearby discussing Obama. Were they talking about the disaster? Nope. Their conversation was focused on how excited they were that Obama was going to “do us right” and raise the minimum wage. They weren’t even paying attention. The irony is that even if their health care changes for the worse when the employer mandates kick in, and even though the Republicans voted for the wage increase, Obama will always be their hero.

inmypajamas on February 16, 2014 at 2:06 AM

Sacrifice on the alter of AWG and the desire of govt to find new ways to get taxes to feed itself (this is all about energy and carbon credits) this is bad but nothing compared to Britain. I told my buddy I read that 31000 people, many of them elderly, froze to death or died of cold related sickness last year. He couldn’t believe it. I said if Britain lined up thirty thousand elderly citizens and shot them the world would go nuts! But freeze one at a time, alone, because they cannot afford to heat their homes due to high energy and nobody blinks.

In fact, the total outrage resulted in govt saying it would do a study.

They don’t care. As long as PC and big govt is served.

They are willing to kill or ruin millions to stay in power one more day.

archer52 on February 16, 2014 at 6:54 AM

If these are people who voted for Mr. Obama- welcome to the party of suffrage most of us have felt since his first day in office.

It’s your hand, via your vote, that’s brought us to this point.

Marcus Traianus on February 16, 2014 at 7:05 AM

He wasn’t out there to score political points. He was scoping out where he’s going to put his new ranch, pushing farmers away, just before he has the EPA wipe out that smelt.

WryTrvllr on February 16, 2014 at 7:39 AM

DinaRehn on February 15, 2014 at 6:15 PM

bet they voted democrat

D.Mockracy on February 16, 2014 at 8:45 AM

CA and most of the US West is naturally a desert (see Cadillac Desert) and only “blooms” due to stealing water from other places. When the Spanish first arrived in today’s CA to set up the original missions, Indians sold themselves into slavery for food and water. The Am. West is mostly the bottom of an ancient inland sea and is not fertile, not naturally supplied with an abundant water supply, and often deprived of rain for decades. The “founders” of LA knew this in the 1800s. Smart people will move elsewhere.

rennyangel2 on February 16, 2014 at 8:47 AM

Desalinization plants work. They are so common down here we have mini plants on boats that turn sea water into drinking water and in turn they create ice on the bigger charter boats.
Its not rocket science. Even Californians could do it.

rodguy911 on February 16, 2014 at 8:50 AM

Ed, a lot can happen over the course of a geologic age…

oldroy on February 16, 2014 at 9:02 AM

He’s staying at the Annenberg ranch while playing golf. Isn’t that the family who had the Annenberg Challenge that he siphoned money from while starting out in his state senate career in Chicago? Wonder what was discussed around the kitchen table at this confab.

Kissmygrits on February 16, 2014 at 9:08 AM

What a useful excuse…

Pest on February 16, 2014 at 9:19 AM

It has never been about “Fundamental Change.” If you look all around at what he has done and even at the people who voted for this man. It has always been about “Destruction.” And America is paralyzed under him because our laws were written and set up for a civil society and government.

Nat George on February 16, 2014 at 9:28 AM

eaglescout_1998 on February 15, 2014 at 11:07 PM

So break off your own state.

Nutstuyu on February 16, 2014 at 10:20 AM