Video: Did Covered California conduct a “bait and switch” on provider networks?

posted at 12:01 pm on February 14, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Perhaps the better question is whether Barack Obama will end up “winning” the Lie of the Year in 2014 for the second half of the promise that got him the award in 2013. The first half promised Americans that they could keep their plan if they liked their plan, which millions discovered was a lie when ObamaCare hit the individual marketplace, and tens of millions more will discover when it eventually hits the employer-provided group marketplace — according to Obama’s own HHS.  Californians have now discovered that the second half, “If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor,” is just as false — and they’re accusing Covered California of a bait-and-switch trap (via ConservativeLA):

Brent Undridge is one of those complaining. The Castro Valley resident said when he signed up for a Covered California plan back in December, he was led to believe he could continue seeing the same medical group he has been using for the past two decades. But that did not turn out to be the case.

“I wanted to cry,” Undridge told KPIX 5 ConsumerWatch. “I’ve been going there for 26 years, I really like them and want to keep them as my doctors.”

Part of that expectation stemmed from President Barack Obama’s oft-repeated promise while campaigning for the Affordable Care Act that “If you like your doctor, you can keep your doctor.” A promise, the President later admitted was not accurate.

In this case, it goes beyond obviously-false promise Obama repeatedly made, even while his own administration knew it was untrue. The Covered California exchange site represented doctors as in-network apparently without bothering to verify their information. That has resulted in confusion and anger … and a lot of finger-pointing.

The CC managers are pointing to the insurers, but the problem appears to be the interchange between CC and two insurers, Anthem and Blue Shield. The latter says that only 140 of the complaints come from their customers, which represents 0.1% of their total enrollments. But that’s just the complaints so far. Most people don’t bother to check with providers directly on insurance issues until they actually need to see the doctor. We’re only six weeks into the year, so it’s not terribly surprising that the complaints are low now.

In the past, that transaction was a lot easier to handle, as consumers dealt directly with insurers, but now they are required to go through the exchange and rely on that information in order to get any subsidies for which they might be eligible. Once again, this demonstrates that putting middlemen in the way of private transactions creates confusion at the very least, and incompetence and unaccountability as a rule. That may or may not qualify as “bait and switch,” but it does qualify as a good reason to keep government out of the way of areas that belong to the private sector.

Comments

Of course they did.
The entirety of 0bumblcare is a bait and switch scam.

dentarthurdent on February 14, 2014 at 12:03 PM

Could this set up the state of California for a lawsuit over the fraud?

Mohonri on February 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM

Hey, Californians, I find this schadtastic.

BuckeyeSam on February 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM

SAN FRANCISCO (KPIX 5) — A growing number of people who purchased health insurance through California’s state run exchange are complaining that they were misled about the availability of physicians in the network. Some are calling it a bait and switch.

All, incl. the HA editors – there is a 3rd element, the hospitals.

Plan
Doctor
Hospital

obama lied on all 3. The patients and doctors are just now finding that out, the hard way. Wait until the dead will be featured on TV.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM

I’m pretty sure this is Ted Cruz’s fault for shutting down the government or something …

ShainS on February 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Hey, Californians Americans, I find this schadtastic.

BuckeyeSam on February 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM

This is not exclusive to Cali., even if they are dumber sheep than most of the land.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2014 at 12:09 PM

“That’s the Good Thing As a President, I Can Do Whatever I Want”

Electrongod on February 14, 2014 at 12:10 PM

Hey, Californians, I find this schadtastic.

BuckeyeSam on February 14, 2014 at 12:06 PM

“I wanted to cry,” Undridge told KPIX 5 ConsumerWatch.

His tears taste so sweet …

ShainS on February 14, 2014 at 12:10 PM

But, the Deflector in Chief is in Fresno, telling the bankrupt farmers and ranchers that “the drought is caused by global warming, which is caused by the Republicans; here are 300 million; now, vote for me/the Ds…I’m off to Rancho Mirage, to spend Valentines with the King of Jordan, sans ‘ladies’”.

…cause 90% disapprove of what I’m doing to the land…so I need to go scroom around for the weekend…in gayland.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM

Oh dear.
They won’t be showing the dead on TV.
That would be an embarrassment to Teh Won and dems in general.
It will be skillfully covered up by the LSM…

Know this: WE have been right about this since 2009!

Scrumpy on February 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM

“D*mned intolerant, racist Tea Party extremists: If not for THEM, this never would have happened!”

–Eventual response, by one or another progressive shill.

orangemtl on February 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM

“What difference at this point does it make? Wait for me, I’ll convert this all into Belgian-thuja-style death panels and single payer” — Hillary

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2014 at 12:12 PM

Why not . . . Obama conducted a “bait and switch” on America.

rplat on February 14, 2014 at 12:14 PM

Know this: WE have been right about this since 2009 2008!

Scrumpy on February 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM

I saw the hued disaster-train when it wasn’t even on the horizon. Nothing has changed for the better.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM

The outlook for anyone’s health insurance is:

DISMAL

Expensive.

Not your Dr.

Not your Hospital.

So sad, too bad to all the LIV’s who wanted this mess.

Newsflash:

I could care less that you LIV’s are finding out what we all knew back in 2009…

Go To Hell

Suck an Egg

Shove It

No Sympathy Here.

Scrumpy on February 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Thank you for correcting me, now you have another one!! ;)

Scrumpy on February 14, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Some doctors are suing for automatic inclusion in obama-plans, by the ins. companies, against their will.

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2014 at 12:17 PM

A promise, the President later admitted was not accurate.

No, it was a LIE – L.I.E. – LIE.
Come on say it with me – LIE – I knew you could…..

dentarthurdent on February 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM

I could couldn’t care less that you LIV’s are finding out what we all knew back in 2009…

Go To Hell

Suck an Egg

Shove It

No Sympathy Here.

Scrumpy on February 14, 2014 at 12:15 PM

Plus, not your promised (original) plan…

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2014 at 12:18 PM

True Story: NY is like CA — look at the bicoastal marriages. I looked into the NY exchange, and all of the exchange programs on the NY state website said that they included my doctor. I called his office to see which insurer they preferred (as the prices were substantially similar). They responded that they were accepting zero exchange insurance. Count me among the newly uninsured.

levi from queens on February 14, 2014 at 12:23 PM

This is the second time CC has had challenges with the information they provided. Last fall, soon after the launch of Obamacare / CC’s website, they had to pull off Doctor information because of inaccuracies. They claimed they fixed the information, and added it back to the site.

There were Doctors listed on the site as part of the network who specifically requested insurers not include them because the reimbursement rates mandated in California for services / procedures were too low. But to give the appearance that the networks were as large as in the pre-Obamacare days, it’s in the interest of both the insurers and CC to put incorrect information out.

Like with HHS / CMS / Obama Administration, CC has a dismal track record in being open and transparent with the information they have provided about their operation. Spin is far more commonplace than honest information – and reports that CC is one of the state exchanges that is working are little more than wishful thinking.

Athos on February 14, 2014 at 12:29 PM

His tears taste so sweet …

ShainS on February 14, 2014 at 12:10 PM

?? You know for a fact this guy is an Obama supporter?

Flora Duh on February 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM

“At some point, you’ve seen your regular doctor enough.

1-800-F1UCKYO!!!!” — King Admiral Emperor Barky of the 84 IQ

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 14, 2014 at 12:32 PM

“I wanted to cry,” Undridge told KPIX 5 ConsumerWatch.

Who’d you vote for, a$$h0le? Yeah, I thought so… Suffer. You asked for it.

Dirty Creature on February 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Could this set up the state of California for a lawsuit over the fraud?

Mohonri on February 14, 2014 at 12:05 PM

From the rest of the article quoted by Ed:

But California’s insurance regulator, the Department of Managed Health Care (DMHC), said that could be an empty threat because inaccurate lists are not illegal. So far, DMHC said it has received about 350 complaints about Covered California’s doctor lists, most of them from Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield customers.

Last time I looked at one, a typical provider list from an insurance company has very broad disclaimers at the bottom which more or less say that “this document may be totally inaccurate, sorry”.

slickwillie2001 on February 14, 2014 at 12:35 PM

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2014 at 12:17 PM

LOL The courts will just tell the docs they don’t have standing. That seems to be the rage these days.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 14, 2014 at 12:36 PM

?? You know for a fact this guy is an Obama supporter?

Flora Duh on February 14, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Good point. A lot of innocent people are getting shafted by this disaster, people who wanted nothing to do with it but have to be one of the broken eggs on the march to the Utopian Omelet.

Bishop on February 14, 2014 at 12:37 PM

But instead of crying they should be kicking down the door of their demorat legislator and pursuing a scalp.

Bishop on February 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Who’d you vote for, a$$h0le? Yeah, I thought so… Suffer. You asked for it.

Dirty Creature on February 14, 2014 at 12:33 PM

You do realize that we have several Californians on this site who didn’t vote for Obama, don’t you?

It’s really disheartening to see so many who here, as Reagan said about the Liberals, “know so much that isn’t so”.

Flora Duh on February 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM

I’d like to hear, just once, a reporter sarcastically reply so everyone can hear “Yeah, right” to one of Obama’s replies to a question. I mean, despite all his lies to the press, they still seem to hang on his every word as if this time he’s telling the truth. But the truth is, he has no credibility.

otlset on February 14, 2014 at 12:40 PM

It’s really disheartening to see so many who here here who, as Reagan said about the Liberals, “know so much that isn’t so”.

Flora Duh on February 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Flora Duh on February 14, 2014 at 12:43 PM

?? You know for a fact this guy is an Obama supporter?

Already in the exchange, and surprised at what he’s getting?

Yeah, I’m sure.

Dirty Creature on February 14, 2014 at 12:43 PM

Unfortunately, the lapdog media is still dancing around and ignoring the elephant in the room, that pretty much all of the promises and assurances made around Obamacare have been little more than blatant lies.

Athos on February 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM

I don’t usually do this, but:

Unfortunately, the lapdog media is still dancing around and ignoring the elephant in the room, that pretty much all of the promises and assurances made around Obamacare Obama’s presidency have been little more than blatant lies.

Athos on February 14, 2014 at 12:45 PM

Flora Duh on February 14, 2014 at 12:47 PM

Flora Duh on February 14, 2014 at 12:39 PM

That would pretty much account for all of them.

You do understand that, given a random Californian, guessing that he is a Barky supporter is a pretty safe bet.

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Flora Duh

Sorry, Flora — No Romney voter would have been crying, because no Romney voter would have been surprised.

Dirty Creature on February 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Schadenfreude on February 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM

Anyone who doesn’t think BO and Mooch are on the rocks doesn’t know how to read body language.

Anyway, golf is the REAL reason we paid for this cross country trip:

But there was no need for Obama to meet Abdullah in Palm Springs: as the Times of Israel notes, Abdullah was already in Washington, DC and the two could easily have met there instead. The Times also notes that the president is expected to play golf over the long weekend.

climbnjump on February 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Now I know why Accenture had so much trouble. Even the advanced computer system HAL was incapable of functioning properly when it was told to lie.

Occams Stubble on February 14, 2014 at 12:54 PM

On a dark Cali byway,
New health costs in my hair,
Warm smell of fajitas
Through the Sacramento air,
Up ahead in the distance
I saw them taking a bite,
My tax burden grew heavy and my sight grew dim,
It costs a lot more .. it ain’t right!

There they stood in the doorway,
I thought this would be hell
And I was thinkin’ to myself :
“This could be costly becuz of these skells”
Powers out, I lit up a candle,
To keep these taxmen away,
There were voices down the corridor,
I thought I heard them say

Welcome to the Hotel California,
Such a bankrupt place, (Such a bankrupt place) Such a lefty base
Plenty of room at the Hotel California,
Any time of year, (Any time of year) They can spend it here

Last thing I remember, I was running for the door,
I had to find the passage back to the freedoms I had before,
“Relax,” said the tax man, “We are programmed to deceive,
You can check out anytime you like… but you can never leave”

GKChesterton99 on February 14, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Off topic, sort of…

My 57 year old mother just told me her medication she takes to help her deal with her “menopausal transition” just skyrocketed from $50 a refill to $400 a refill. Thanks to #ObamaCare. #WarOnWoman…and grandmothers.

Remember when Dog Eater said grandma should just take a pain pill instead of getting a pace maker? We’ll now the pain pills are unaffordable. Dog Eater hates woman. Especially grandmothers.

jawkneemusic on February 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I am a Californian and I think the schadenfreude is rather fantastic. There are so many gloating democrats in this state and it is so nice to just say to them in my best Obama impersonation, “If you like your plan, you can keep your plan” and then follow that up with a little smirk. I don’t feel bad about doing this. I think people need pain so that they remember not to touch the hot stove again, although my state is pretty dopey when it comes to learning any lessons.

OrdinaryAverageGuy on February 14, 2014 at 12:57 PM

ThePrimordialOrderedPair on February 14, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Possibly, but there are some Republican enclaves in California. Personally I don’t like painting a whole swath of people with the same brush based on where they live, their gender, how much money they earn, or their race. IMHO that would make me no different than the ignorant democrats who do it.

Flora Duh on February 14, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Concierge medicine is the way to go at this point. Eventually I see doctors expanding that to include specialists into their groups, then adding hospital coverage and voilá affordable private insurance companies run by those who know healthcare best as a way to circumvent this disaster.

HughJass on February 14, 2014 at 1:06 PM

It was not a an inaccurate promise.
It was not a false promise.

It was a lie, a lie, a LIE and Obama and the democrat party knew it was all LIES.
I’m getting tired of our side saying this BS. Obama LIED. Pelosi LIED. Reid LIED. The entire democrat party and our federal government LIED to us.

jukin3 on February 14, 2014 at 1:07 PM

As I said — if he was surprised, he voted Obama. Case closed.

Dirty Creature on February 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Flora Duh

Dirty Creature on February 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM

I’m kinda inclined to agree with this filthy creature, Flora.
I’ve seen too many stories quoting idiots like that one broad who simply cannot believe obama would allow this to happen if only he knew!

Not to mention how many R voters are dumb enough to go to a site notorious for stealing your info.

Lanceman on February 14, 2014 at 1:08 PM

“President Pinocchio and Cali libs lied to me. Oh the humanity!!

AppraisHer on February 14, 2014 at 1:13 PM

You gotta’ love it. The clusterfark ‘remedy’:

The more complaints it gets, the more likely DMHC is to take action. Consumers can also email ConsumerWatch at: consumerwatch@kpix.com

Tsar of Earth on February 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Off topic, sort of…

jawkneemusic on February 14, 2014 at 12:56 PM

I sympathize with your mother, who is the same age as I am. I was supposed to have a triple bypass. Insurance was canceled and since I will not bow to Obama’s dictate, and there’s no way I can afford to pay for that type of procedure out-of-pocket, I’m living each day on a wing and a prayer.

Flora Duh on February 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Since there will be a doctor shortage Cali will be the first state to approve veternarians to treat the public.

docflash on February 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Ummmm … Yes.

But then, Obunglercare consists of lies built on lies, wrapped in incompetence.

Whitey Ford on February 14, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Flora Duh on February 14, 2014 at 1:22 PM

That’s not good. I don’t mind seeing democrat voters suffering in the streets but not you!

I hope something changes for you before it gets worse.

Lanceman on February 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Covered California Actively Recruiting Illegal Immigrants to Sign Up for Obamacare Coverage

In 2009, Rep. Joe Wilson (R-SC) apologized profusely to the White House for shouting, “You lie!” as President Barack Obama told Congress that Obamacare would not cover illegal immigrants. Now it would appear that the White House owes Wilson an apology, as Covered California–the flagship of state Obamacare exchanges–is recruiting illegal (“undocumented”) immigrants to sign up for the program, regardless of their eligibility.

The Covered California website includes a special page entitled: “No temas si eres indocumentado/a y quieres inscribir a tu familia en un seguro médico” (“Fear not if you are undocumented and want to enroll your family in health insurance”). The website goes on to explain that information shared with Obamacare cannot be shared with Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE). It does not explicitly warn that illegal aliens are ineligible.

“According to the laws and implementing regulations,” the website says, “the information provided by individuals for coverage can not be used for purposes other than ensuring the efficient functioning of the insurance market ( Covered California) or administration of the program, or to verify certain eligibility determinations including verification of the immigration status of these people.”

As Bloomberg News notes, Latinos have been slow to sign up for Obamacare, partly because of problems with the Spanish-language version of the Obamacare website, and partly because some immigrant families are afraid of providing information to the government or using public assistance, among other factors. Covered California is devoting additional resources to recruiting more Latino enrollees before the deadline at the end of March.

Athos on February 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Lanceman on February 14, 2014 at 1:33 PM

Thanks darlin’.

Flora Duh on February 14, 2014 at 2:17 PM

Athos on February 14, 2014 at 1:51 PM

Do you know if the “undocumented immigrants” will qualify for subsides as well?

NiteOwl on February 14, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Covered California takes down online health insurance exchange for small businesses

“The nation’s most populous state has elected to temporarily shutter its new online health insurance marketplace for small business only four months after it launched, dealing yet another blow to a key element of the health care law meant to lower costs for employers. . . . The portals were meant to curb rising health care costs for small businesses by increasing competition among insurers. The White House has said they are intended to allow employers to purchase insurance with the same ease as buying a flight on Web sites like Expedia or Priceline — but in most states, it has not panned out that way yet.”

Athos on February 14, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Flora Duh I’m so glad you’re back commenting on HA. There are enclaves of conservative republicans. With the talk of seceding in some areas and/or dividing the state into six states, that shows there’s a desire/need/want/ to make a change from many of us. In the examples of dividing up the state, the northern most counties would be labeled Jefferson state. That’s telling I’m a native Californian and lived under the rule of Reagan when he was governor and president. http://www.newsmax.com/US/split-california-six-states/2014/01/07/id/545695

The state had shined in economics, education, and culture. In the condition it is now, it equates to a old worn sock washed too many times with fuzz balls all over it. I blame the dummied down educational system (which explains the mentality here), unions, and greedy pols.
Prayers sent your way.