Oops: Thousands of Connecticutans are now criminals in possession of unregistered “assault” weapons

posted at 9:31 pm on February 13, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

Well. That didn’t go according to plan, did it? Via the Hartford Courant:

Everyone knew there would be some gun owners flouting the law that legislators hurriedly passed last April, requiring residents to register all military-style rifles with state police by Dec. 31. …

By the end of 2013, state police had received 47,916 applications for assault weapons certificates, Lt. Paul Vance said. An additional 2,100 that were incomplete could still come in.

That 50,000 figure could be as little as 15 percent of the rifles classified as assault weapons owned by Connecticut residents, according to estimates by people in the industry, including the Newtown-based National Shooting Sports Foundation. No one has anything close to definitive figures, but the most conservative estimates place the number of unregistered assault weapons well above 50,000, and perhaps as high as 350,000.

Which means that there are probably at least tens of thousands of Connecticut residents who, as of January 1st, are currently guilty of committing a Class D felony for the newly-established crime of failing to register what the legislature has so astutely defined as their “assault” weapons. That includes AR-15s, a.k.a. the most popular rifle in America, and at least one Connecticut lawmaker is shocked — shocked! — that more people haven’t come forward.

“I honestly thought from my own standpoint that the vast majority would register,” said Sen. Tony Guglielmo, R-Stafford, the ranking GOP senator on the legislature’s public safety committee. “If you pass laws that people have no respect for and they don’t follow them, then you have a real problem.”

Hmm. Perhaps the problem was rushing through a bunch of knee-jerk, feel-good, and ultimately impotent laws that you’re not actually sure you want to dedicate the resources to even enforce. That’s a real problem.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

Except for those sheep lines I saw.

Lanceman on February 13, 2014 at 9:31 PM

Just saw this on Megyn Kelly. Cool…

OmahaConservative on February 13, 2014 at 9:32 PM

Start at the top, right Mr. Obama?

SouthernRoots on February 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Belgium is cool!

thuja on February 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM

thuja in the euthanasia thread…

OmahaConservative on February 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM

At the end of the day, all the Leftist pushing of their agenda with the media’s help is creating more people willing to stand against their agenda.

PolAgnostic on February 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Connecticut Constitution, Article First, Sec. 15:
Every citizen has a right to bear arms in defense of himself and the state.

Except when they don’t.

SouthernRoots on February 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Molon labe, bee-atches!

CurtZHP on February 13, 2014 at 9:35 PM

Ay-yup! And if’n y’all looked in the mirror, Sen Guglielmo, you’d be a-seein’ exactly what that problem is. Yup yup yup!

Newtie and the Beauty on February 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM

For our lefty trolls who are certain to show up, I think it was one of their heroes, Marx, who once said that if a law was unjust, it should be broken.

Lanceman on February 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Lanceman on February 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM

And at the rate their precious savior is breaking his own signature law, they can cram it. All the way up.

CurtZHP on February 13, 2014 at 9:36 PM

The law is unconstitutional. If they ever passed that law in my state, my firearms would unfortunately be mysteriously “lost”.

Huh, weird how that happens.

Left_is_Wrong on February 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Cold dead fingers and all….

Revolution #2 might just start in Connecticut….

dentarthurdent on February 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM

“If you pass laws that people have no respect for and they don’t follow them, then you have a real problem.” – Ya think?

And this is a Republican.

sharrukin on February 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Eat it you totalitarian pigs. Molon labe.

The gun grabbers’ dreams are crumbling, and I love it.

bossmanham on February 13, 2014 at 9:40 PM

Non-compliance of the law. Good enough for Preezy, good enough for me.

SailorMark on February 13, 2014 at 9:41 PM

And this is a Republican.

sharrukin on February 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM

RINO perhaps – but then having an R by your name doesn’t mean much any more….

dentarthurdent on February 13, 2014 at 9:41 PM

THIS is the definition of “RINO”….

ExpressoBold on February 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM

And this is a Republican.

sharrukin on February 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM

That’s a Peter King Republican.

Lanceman on February 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Non-compliance of the law. Good enough for Preezy, good enough for me.

SailorMark on February 13, 2014 at 9:41 PM

If our so-called “leaders” don’t have to follow the laws, why should we?

Although when I tried using Clinton’s logic about BJs – my wife vetoed it, with extreme prejudice….

dentarthurdent on February 13, 2014 at 9:44 PM

And this is a Republican.

sharrukin on February 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Well, Northeast Republicans tend to be more tone deaf than Marlee Matlin.

(I’m looking at you, Chris.)

CurtZHP on February 13, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Occupy the State House.

Murphy9 on February 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM

The intent of the law was to create felons. Now these people are unable to legally possess or buy firearms, and are also unable to vote now.

El_Terrible on February 13, 2014 at 9:45 PM

dentarthurdent on February 13, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Heh.

SailorMark on February 13, 2014 at 9:46 PM

In a related story, sales of picks and shovels have dramatically increased all across Connecticut the past 60 days.

Mahdi on February 13, 2014 at 9:47 PM

THIS is the definition of “RINO”….

ExpressoBold on February 13, 2014 at 9:42 PM

For CT (and other points in the Northeast), he’s a conservative.

Newtie and the Beauty on February 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM

“If youwe pass laws that people have no respect for and they don’t follow them, then you have we are a real problem.”

Edited for clarity.

battalion on February 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM

who was it again that said..
(we’ve all heard at least one lib say this)..
“the government would never outlaw guns and round them up”

next to be outlawed……3-D printers

going2mars on February 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM

If Obama can exempt people from the law of the land why should any of us accept laws that we think are unconstitutional?

I will not comply.

jukin3 on February 13, 2014 at 9:49 PM

“the government would never outlaw guns and round them up”

going2mars on February 13, 2014 at 9:48 PM

They haven’t been paying attention to what’s happening in NY, CT, and CA….
Or they just want to cover it up and lie about it.

dentarthurdent on February 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

“I honestly thought from my own standpoint that the vast majority would register”

“As God is my witness……I thought turkeys could fly”

Lanceman on February 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

I can’t believe that they actually received some 50,000 or so applications.

Some people would rather live on their knees than die on their feet it seems.

battalion on February 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Nutmeggers have decided to visit the Connecticut equivalent of Walden Pond to engage in some civil disobedience.

This sounds awesomely awesome in its awesomeness.

BuckeyeSam on February 13, 2014 at 9:57 PM

said Sen. Tony Guglielmo, R-Stafford, If you pass laws that people have no respect for and they don’t follow them, then you have a real problem.

Then all you jack wads had better start to wise up! The people have lost all respect for government, the justice system and the media. You clueless douchebags seem to have no idea that we are at just about the same place the Soviet Union was in 1988 right now. In 3 years or 4 years your all going to wake up one morning wondering WTF just happened.

Wallythedog on February 13, 2014 at 9:57 PM

nonpartisan approves.

nobar on February 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM

dentarthurdent on February 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

thank God our side knew they were lying all along…
I don’t know how a government that can’t get one small
Cuban boy out of a house in Florida without using SWAT..
thinks this will end well…but they are gonna try it…
of that im sure

going2mars on February 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM

“As God is my witness……I thought turkeys could fly”

Lanceman on February 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

laffs ….aint it the truth…
this country is run by
Les Nessman wanna bees
thread winner..!!

going2mars on February 13, 2014 at 10:00 PM

Companion story: Reported CT boat accidents on the rise

WhatSlushfund on February 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Belgium is cool!

thuja on February 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM

thuja in the euthanasia thread…

OmahaConservative on February 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM

I’m f’n evil because I think it would be awesome for thuja to contract something to force his sorry ass into making such a decision.

Ban me for saying it. I don’t care.

hawkdriver on February 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM

HEY SENATOR ! . . . . . if you insist on passing State laws that contradict the U.S. Constitution, then YOU, sir, have CREATED a “REAL PROBLEM.”

listens2glenn on February 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM

And this is a RepublicanINO.

sharrukin on February 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM

FIFY

Doomsday on February 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM

“Irish Democracy”

Who are we fooling, there are so many laws, rules,and regulations, written so vaguely that we’re all guilty of something just by living in this country. Its about time people started telling the government to stick it.

Iblis on February 13, 2014 at 10:04 PM

Those moronic legislators would not recognize a genuine “assault weapon” if it shot them in the foot.
The greatest threat to individual liberty are the fantasy-laden philosophical musings of wooly-minded idealogues of the libtard persuasion, who actually believe their myopic intellectual constructs reflect the reality of human existence.

bobthm3 on February 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Non-compliance of the law. Good enough for Preezy, good enough for me.

SailorMark on February 13, 2014 at 9:41 PM

…we shouldn’t have to obey ANY laws…they don’t!

KOOLAID2 on February 13, 2014 at 10:06 PM

I am thinking of filling out a registration form in the Peoples Republik of Kalifornia. I need to register all of my kitchen knives, rope, duct tape, axes, broomsticks and lamps. They have all been used to kill people in our history, and are therefore ” Assault Weapons”. Oh, and I forgot my chainsaws. Ever seen Scarface?

If I ever have a yard sale, you will need to complete a background check in order to purchase these items.

I do plan to seel everything before the rail cars come for me. High speed rail to the Fema camps out here!

Exninja on February 13, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Belgium is cool!

thuja on February 13, 2014 at 9:05 PM

thuja in the euthanasia thread…

OmahaConservative on February 13, 2014 at 9:33 PM

Ban me for saying it. I don’t care.

hawkdriver on February 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I don’t want to ban you . . . but, yeah . . . you are “evil”. . : )

listens2glenn on February 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

What gun?

Lance Corvette on February 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

Gee that’s too bad, I guess the Nazi pukes will just have to start kicking down doors to get those guns.

They will feel really bad doing it too.

Bishop on February 13, 2014 at 10:11 PM

Born in and live in Texas.I don’t have any weapons,know or associate with anyone who does.If you are smart you will be like me.

docflash on February 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Hahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahhahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahhahahahahahahahhahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahahahahahhahahahhah….

Cleombrotus on February 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Meh, we’ll all be criminals soon enough. When you have 1 of the 3 branches of government dedicated to making new laws and MANY departments to make regulations… well, sooner or later we will all be criminals.

Actually, I bet we are all criminals already. Just sometimes we get away with it.

NiteOwl on February 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM

hawkdriver on February 13, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I don’t want to ban you . . . but, yeah . . . you are “evil”. . : )

listens2glenn on February 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

For the healthy and out of touch, comments like thujas are reduced to dollars and cents. I just wish he had a more personal connection to the subject of killing his fellow man (or baby) for economic convenience.

hawkdriver on February 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM

docflash on February 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Lemme guess…you live in Austin…

Newtie and the Beauty on February 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Newtie and the Beauty on February 13, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Doesn’t rate a reply.

docflash on February 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM

Nothing that having the local SWAT team break in in the early AM, kill the dogs, and hold everyone at gunpoint won’t solve.

Obamatubes

WryTrvllr on February 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM

docflash on February 13, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Me too. I would never, ever. Heck, I even started eating with my fingers. All those weapons in the house scared me./s

Your point is well taken and I concur with what I perceive to be your sentiment. :-)

NiteOwl on February 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

NiteOwl on February 13, 2014 at 10:28 PM

Me too. I hate guns. And would never own one. (One.)

SailorMark on February 13, 2014 at 10:33 PM

I wonder how many of these CT has deemed “illegal”

Newtie and the Beauty on February 13, 2014 at 10:20 PM

Your version is outdated
– it doesn’t include the Pop Tart AR-15

;)

PolAgnostic on February 13, 2014 at 10:39 PM

CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE!

We need this badly!

ConstantineXI on February 13, 2014 at 10:40 PM

Yeah, like selling weapons to Mexican drug cartels. And changing laws and implementation by executive fiat. And using the IRS to target and punish political enemies. And…

It’s a pity breaking laws doesn’t carry any consequences. Can’t imagine where people are getting *that* notion.

Midas on February 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM

You mean like Obama making all those changes to Obamacare.

hepcat on February 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Midas on February 13, 2014 at 10:42 PM

Pshaw, laws are for the little people. Do as I say, not as I do.

Insincerely,
Big Government

NiteOwl on February 13, 2014 at 10:47 PM

It’s not a bayonet lug. It’s a mount for a skittles-grenade launcher.

The collapsable stock was added to comply with the Americans with disabilities act. The laser is for the visually impaired.

wolly4321 on February 13, 2014 at 10:50 PM

I wonder – is there an area near DC – not too close, mind you, but near there – that is gun-friendly? Someplace where a barbecue party/gun show could be organized, you know – and invite a few hundred thousand AR15 owners, maybe call it AR15icon or something.

Just a little laid-back “hi, how are ya over there – remember us, the citizens?” get together, within shouting distance of DC.

Then peacefully clean up and go back home.

Hmmm.

Midas on February 13, 2014 at 10:52 PM

Me too. I hate guns. And would never own one. (One.)

SailorMark on February 13, 2014 at 10:33 PM

Yep ;-) I even disarmed my dog. He had assault teeth. OK, didn’t disarm him. Made him promise to be a good dog and not bear (bare) them in public. He wagged his tail… I assume he will be compliant.

NiteOwl on February 13, 2014 at 10:57 PM

NiteOwl on February 13, 2014 at 10:57 PM

In all fairness he came without arms to start with…

NiteOwl on February 13, 2014 at 11:04 PM

listens2glenn on February 13, 2014 at 10:10 PM

For the healthy and out of touch, comments like thuja‘s are reduced to dollars and cents. I just wish he had a more personal connection to the subject of killing his fellow man (or baby) for economic convenience.

hawkdriver on February 13, 2014 at 10:22 PM

Some people are ‘gifted’ from birth with that sense of “personal connection” of which you speak.
Then there are some who need first to connect with the living God, before they can ‘develop’ this sense of “personal connection”.

listens2glenn on February 13, 2014 at 11:21 PM

Well. That didn’t go according to plan, did it?

As a CT resident, I can attest that those pushing for gun bans do not care if people register or not. If they register, they know where to find them later when they pass a more restrictive law. Those that don’t register will be afraid that every police contact they have will end with them becoming a felon & no longer legally able to possess firearms.

Its a win/win from their perspective.

clancy_wiggum on February 13, 2014 at 11:23 PM

When thugga finally goes postal let’s hope it’s more like “Don’t taze me bro’ ” instead of like Newtown, CT.

viking01 on February 13, 2014 at 11:25 PM

Yeah Senator. Next thing you know, those citizens have no respect for you, and come next election cycle, your fat ass is out on the street looking for a job.

GarandFan on February 13, 2014 at 11:40 PM

Sen. Tony Guglielmo, R-Stafford

“As God is my witness……I thought turkeys could fly”

Les Nessman

Lanceman on February 13, 2014 at 9:56 PM

Could not have picked a better analogy … : )

listens2glenn on February 13, 2014 at 11:45 PM

This is where “Governing, with the consent of the governed” comes in. You can pass all kinds of laws, but there is a point where you pass something that just doesn’t get people’s respect and you have to either change it or enforce it. If there are this many people upset about this, November should be really interesting in Connecticut.

bflat879 on February 13, 2014 at 11:52 PM

Golly. Just think how many “criminals” there will be who don’t buy healthcare insurance – 20 or 30 million?

Instead of the $95 penalty for not having it, what will happen if it becomes a death penalty charge for not having insurance; or the fine is increased to $1 million?

Think there will just be “civil” disobedience then?

Ruckus_Tom on February 14, 2014 at 12:05 AM

I seem to remember a certain German government passing laws that forbid things to. Just because you make it the law doesn’t mean its just.

Pegcity on February 14, 2014 at 12:18 AM

nonpartisan approves.

nobar on February 13, 2014 at 9:58 PM

nonpartisan’s answer to this would be to flood the entire state with federal SWAT teams to start breaking down doors.

Gator Country on February 14, 2014 at 12:55 AM

And just where do you suppose the people might have learned that?

ghostwalker1 on February 14, 2014 at 3:03 AM

Should we point out the ugly tactic of misrepresenting the type of rifle this newspaper is doing? Inform Hartford Courant. Don’t be activist.

ptcamn on February 14, 2014 at 3:41 AM

And this is a Republican.
sharrukin on February 13, 2014 at 9:39 PM

You thought that Republicans were conservative?

Brock Robamney on February 14, 2014 at 5:22 AM

What we’re dealing with here is a complete lack of respect for the law.

John Deaux on February 14, 2014 at 5:56 AM

We are going to have an uprising in this country over LIBERALISM.

tmgrant on February 14, 2014 at 6:02 AM

We are going to have an uprising in this country over LIBERALISM.

tmgrant on February 14, 2014 at 6:02 AM

Let us hope and pray for such.

Cleombrotus on February 14, 2014 at 7:04 AM

Just hope those Connecticut gun-owners don’t suffer from this.

Teleros on February 14, 2014 at 7:51 AM

As I recall from a great many discussions about immigration, the law must be followed and amnesty for illegals ruled out! These illegal gun owners who fail to register are criminals and must be treated as such! Enforcement the laws we have on the books first and then look to make the laws more rational later!

Of course, that would be the outcry if consistency were a valued commodity in political discussions.

MJBrutus on February 14, 2014 at 7:52 AM

MJBrutus on February 14, 2014 at 7:52 AM

One of which is constitutional, one of which is not

I’ll let you make the guess as to which is which

tcufrog on February 14, 2014 at 8:11 AM

tcufrog on February 14, 2014 at 8:11 AM

That’s for the courts to decide, now isn’t it? Surely you are not going to argue an absolutist position that private citizens are allowed to arm themselves with any form of weaponry without limit?

MJBrutus on February 14, 2014 at 8:19 AM

MJBrutus on February 14, 2014 at 7:52 AM

Et tu Brute?

“Give me liberty, or give me gun registration”.

You can have one or the other, but not both.

Obvious which side of that equation you fall on.

No thanks.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 14, 2014 at 8:20 AM

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 14, 2014 at 8:20 AM

I am on the side of freedom. Pro gun and pro immigration. I was simply pointing out the inconsistency of many who argue in favor of one and not the other on the grounds of being against “amnesty.”

MJBrutus on February 14, 2014 at 8:22 AM

MJBrutus on February 14, 2014 at 8:19 AM

In the face of a lawless and tyrannical government they damn sure are.

Your type would have still been a Loyalist in 1789.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 14, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 14, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I don’t think I understood you. Are you in favor of citizens arming themselves without restriction to type or quantity of weapons?

MJBrutus on February 14, 2014 at 8:25 AM

By simply removing the gas tube, the semi-auto capability of an Ar15 can be deactivated.
The gun is still usable but it must be cycled manually after each shot.
It is effectively a pump action.

Or you can take the gun apart and store the parts in seperate locations until the dust settles.

Or remove one or more of the features that make it “tactical”.

esblowfeld on February 14, 2014 at 8:30 AM

MJBrutus on February 14, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Are you in favor of self determination? Because that is what true liberty means.

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 14, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 14, 2014 at 8:31 AM

Self determination within limits. IOW, I am partial to a constitutional form of democratic republic.

But please, give me a straight answer. Life is too short to spend arguing with anachronistic “tree of liberty” types so I would rather know sooner than later.

MJBrutus on February 14, 2014 at 8:33 AM

“If you pass laws that people have no respect for and they don’t follow them, then you have a real problem.”.
When a country is based upon a Constitution the president has no regard for, then you have a real problem.

lel2007 on February 14, 2014 at 8:45 AM

“This country, with its institutions, belongs to the people who inhabit it. Whenever they shall grow weary of the existing government, they can exercise their Constitutional right of amending it, or their revolutionary right to dismember it or overthrow it.” ~ Abraham Lincoln

lel2007 on February 14, 2014 at 8:50 AM

“Democracy is two wolves and a lamb discussing what’s for dinner. Liberty is a well armed lamb willing to contest the majority decision”. –Benjamin Franklin, 1755

lel2007 on February 14, 2014 at 8:51 AM

Resist – Refuse to comply, ignore their fascist laws.

Registration – Confiscation – Extermination

Kuffar on February 14, 2014 at 9:14 AM

Difficultas_Est_Imperium on February 14, 2014 at 8:20 AM

MJBrutus on February 14, 2014 at 8:22 AM

I’ll agree with you that being ‘pro-immigration’ is NOT equivalent to being ‘pro amnesty’.

listens2glenn on February 14, 2014 at 9:23 AM

And you, Sir Legislator, are the one with the problem.

Ricard on February 14, 2014 at 9:28 AM

There may be hope for Connecticut after all…

ThePainfulTruth on February 14, 2014 at 9:35 AM