Video: Wallace, Todd tangle over Christie’s “good day”

posted at 10:01 am on February 12, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Sochi doesn’t have a monopoly on televised fireworks this week. On Morning Joe today, Nicole Wallace erupted in indignation when Chuck Todd blew off a suggestion that Chris Christie had a pretty good day yesterday by asking, “What — that he didn’t get, that more indictments didn’t come in?” Wallace burst out laughing and then took Todd to task, noting at one point that “Rachel’s not on until nine”:

“I guess it’s a good day that what?” Todd pressed on. “That he didn’t get, that more indictments didn’t come in?”

“Stop, stop,” Wallace interrupted. “Rachel’s not on ’til 9,” she jabbed, referring to primetime host Rachel Maddow, who has spent much of her recent programming digging into Christie’s scandal.

“What is that?” an incensed Todd fired back, before stumbling to explain his belief that “we’re overdoing it now.”

“Oh my God,” Wallace said again with disbelief. “So much time has been spent in the last four weeks covering every teeny, minuscule, breaking non-news event.”

“Not on my show,” Todd responded.

“Well, on the network on which you appear and I appear,” Wallace replied, before taking a stab at “every formerly-objective member of the press” now going after the governor on a daily basis. The fact that Christie’s Chicago appearance is a “nothing-burger” to Todd, she continued, “is something that should educate Governor Christie about the climate he’ll face should he run for president.”

“I’m not treating him as a presidential candidate in my mind right now,” answered Todd.

Even objectively, though, it was a good day for Christie. The RGA raised a record $6 million in January under his leadership, even though Christie spent the whole month under the shadow of Bridgegate:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie raised $1.5 million during a fundraising swing through Texas last week, the Republican Governors Association announced early Tuesday morning, hours before the embattled governor was scheduled to headline more events in Illinois.

Moreover, the RGA raised $6 million in January, said spokeswoman Gail Gitcho, who added that this was done with “the help of Chairman Christie and all of our Republican governors.

“That is more than twice as much that has ever been raised during the same month in RGA history, and twice as much that was raised in the last comparable cycle (2010) in the same month,” said Gitcho in a note where she outlined the impressive fundraising haul in what is traditionally a slow fundraising month following Christmas.

The day one can announce that is, pretty objectively, a good day for any politician, especially one as beleaguered as Christie supposedly is.  The flippant response from Todd aside, the “scandal” seems to be losing a lot of steam, as Jake Tapper noted in skewering one of the rumors that are now arising in the absence of anything else to report:

All of that in one day? Yeah, that’s a pretty good day. Objectively speaking.

Comments

CRISTie didn’t even have to use his AK. I got to say it was a good day.

Doughboy on February 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM

BISHOP!!!!!!!!!!

yaedon on February 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Bishop!?!

xNavigator on February 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Ah, well.

yaedon on February 12, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Nuts…beat me to it by milliseconds. Nicely played!

In other news, money makes the political world go round, and the media hate Republicans. SHOCK!

xNavigator on February 12, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Of course Wallace would stand up for Moaning Joe’s centerfold on a bearskin rug, Chris Christie.

Marcus on February 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Losers.

As for Todd he’s scared shiiteless of Krispy, and while I wouldn’t vote for the Fat Man even if you held a gun to my dog’s head, seeing Todd get his panties in a twist makes me happy.

Bishop on February 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I wonder which GOP candidate Ed supports./s

sentinelrules on February 12, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I thought Nicole Wallace was too crappy of a person for even MSNBC. Guess I was wrong.

joekenha on February 12, 2014 at 10:10 AM

CRISTie didn’t even have to use his AK. I got to say it was a good day.

Doughboy on February 12, 2014 at 10:04 AM

But I’m sure he still at “2 in the morning got the fat burger”.

Agent of the Cross on February 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Losers.

Bishop on February 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Well, they did at least try to HT you.

Bmore on February 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Todd drank water in front of the camera! What a major gaffe! I mean, what kind of unprofessional, lackadaisical jerk does that?!?!?!

His water drinking automatically disqualifies whatever argument he was making and means that we get to focus on his state of hydration rather than deal with his words.

case closed.

yaedon on February 12, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Any time Christie can separate the D’s from their cash works for me.

Bmore on February 12, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Sickening! Christy is at the bottom of most conservatives list for President. He’s another RINO…………….. Why don’t they go after obama like there going after christy???

nobama1267 on February 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM

if you saw Christie’s on stage interview you wouldnt be so quick to dismiss him. He could shred Hillary in a debate and on the election trail by dissecting the left’s ridiculous talking point campaigns.

He spoke about income inequality being a ridiculous issue in a way that ALL republicans should. Anyone that thinks that government can distribute funds and wages better than the free market should read about the disaster called “Sochi”.

When you whine and complain about the free markets- its more often than not because your efforts came up short- not because of obscene corruption. But success supported by the hand of the govt is ALWAYS corrupt.

Bensonofben on February 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I don’t like Christie, and I don’t like Wallace. But Chuck Todd’s high dudgeon is hilarious. What a douchebag.

BuckeyeSam on February 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Bishop on February 12, 2014 at 10:07 AM

I really wish that so-called pundits would understand that the fat man is not going to get the support of real conservatives. Endorsing Obama on the eve of the election really killed his chances, even if there are some that would have supported him if he were to become the nominee.

For me, that gushing bro-fest where he threw the party nominee under the bus was enough to turn me against the man no matter how many stupid “moderates” tell me that he’s electable.

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM

I about wet myself when I saw this on Mediaite. Todd is clearly furious and has to start gulping water or whatever to hold it together. Who woulda thunk it on MSLSD.

Southernblogger on February 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM

F. Chuck Todd in one corner, Krispy Kreme and Nicccollllle Walllllace in the other.

Who to root for?

steebo77 on February 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Ed, I think Nicolle Wallace has two -Ls in her name, might want to double-check.

Also, can I make a motion to embargo anything Nicolle Wallace has to say about anything, unless it’s pleading guilty to a fraud charge? As much traffic as you guys still get over anything related to Sarah Palin, the least you could do is not give coverage to the pondscum that stabbed her in the back in order to help Katie Couric, among other things.

King B on February 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM

…have a doughnut!

KOOLAID2 on February 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM

nobama1267 on February 12, 2014 at 10:14 AM

You forgot to use your sarcasm font.

yaedon on February 12, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Bensonofben on February 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM

The fat man endorsed Obama. Not getting my vote ever.

And BTW, Cruz could filet the fat man and Killary at the same time. That would be a debate worth watching even if Candy Crowley were there to run interference for the Killary Klinton Kamp.

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Its hilarious that a traffic jam on the GWB (which, for those fortunate enough to live far away from that mess) is a daily event. Hourly. If this is not the very epitome of bias and ven just pure partisan propaganda, I cannot imagine what would be.

For years New Jersey was treated to corrupt practices by governors that got hardly any press at all, like when Corzine (before he stole hundreds of millions from unsuspecting farmers to feed his addiction for gambling on currency futures) tried to sell the New Jersey Turnpike and give the proceeds to public employee unions.

That got no press from Chuckles. But a traffic jam on the bridge? Oh baby….

This is the funniest thing I’ve ever seen. Does anyone really take this crap seriously?

MTF on February 12, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Circling the wagons around Christie again I see

Why do you not want him to be defeated? I want to see him go down by any means possible, even if that means the liberal media defeating him

tcufrog on February 12, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Chuck is sooooo objective. Objectivity called him and said I wish I were you Chuck.

Cliff by the Ford on February 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Christie: “I don’t think the American people want income equality. I think they want income opportunity.” It will “drive America towards mediocrity and not greatness.”

He then went on to compare people whining about their fair share of the pie to his own kids complaining about not getting the same portion as their sibling. Exactly!

Bensonofben on February 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I’m not sure why I should care about this.

NotCoach on February 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

BTW: As Chuck Todd’s hair continues to dramatically recede, I notice that he seems to be going to lengths to get the goatee coming in much more fully.

Someone’s worried about his manliness and hairiness.

BuckeyeSam on February 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Bensonofben on February 12, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Of course the fat man has his own pie that he shares with nobody.

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Christie is still a walking land mine. But when he blows it’s not the Tea Party that will be part of the collateral damage.

Cliff by the Ford on February 12, 2014 at 10:21 AM

womp womp

Good Lt on February 12, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Zoologists should study this clip to research what happens when you cross a blonde snake with a bearded poodle.

cbenoistd on February 12, 2014 at 10:22 AM

I like how TPM packaged that clip as though it portrayed liberals and the media (BIRM) in a positive light.

steebo77 on February 12, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Ha! Chuck Todd carries water for the Democrats all the time. I liked seeing him get taken to the woodshed, even if by Nicole Wallace.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on February 12, 2014 at 10:23 AM

FatBoy QOTD tonight for sure.

ConstantineXI on February 12, 2014 at 10:23 AM

The problem with Chuck Todd is he thinks he’s the fairest mind over at NBC… i.e. the tallest midget.

I can only imagine the stink of wet Berkensocks in the break room over at MSNBC. They can’t see how far left they are.

BTW. Axelrod chimed in after the fight and noted that Morning Joe probably offsets MSNMCs primetime’s biased infatuation with bridgegate. hysterical after a report came out and more than 1 third of the MSNBC primetime agenda is devoted to a Governor in New Jersey’s scandal. Nah- no overblown bias there,

Bensonofben on February 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Am I wrong in saying that the preferred candidate of the editorial staff here at HotAir is Christie?

tcufrog on February 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM

FatBoy QOTD tonight for sure.

ConstantineXI on February 12, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Please, no. Can’t we talk about something that actually matters?

yaedon on February 12, 2014 at 10:26 AM

I love when Chuck Todd (who was a staffer to Senator Tom Harkin (D-IA) and is married to Kristian Denny Todd who served as a communications person for the Democratic Party and then helped found Maverick Strategies and Mail, a consulting group for liberal candidates) gets offended that he might be biased. LOL!

kevinkristy on February 12, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Yeah, Ed. Great day for Pagliacci.

His ol’ lobbying abilities are shining through.

Objectivity would point that out.

budfox on February 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Christie spent the whole month under the shadow of Bridgegate

Any shadow that can hide Christie …

Never mind.

Vero Beach Florida on February 12, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Someone’s worried about his manliness and hairiness.

BuckeyeSam on February 12, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Maddow’s hair isn’t receding and her goatee is thick and lush.

Bishop on February 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM

He is Rinolicious to AllahP. Dreams of making Luther burgers with him.

Cliff by the Ford on February 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM

It’s a scandal until someone gets killed. Then, like Fast & Furious or Benghazi, it’s a nothingburger.

rbj on February 12, 2014 at 10:28 AM

tcufrog on February 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM

I think “wrong” is definitely an incorrect description of this hypothesis.

yaedon on February 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM

if you saw Christie’s on stage interview you wouldnt be so quick to dismiss him. He could shred Hillary in a debate and on the election trail by dissecting the left’s ridiculous talking point campaigns…

Bensonofben on February 12, 2014 at 10:15 AM

They gave him the keynote speech at the last convention. No shredding occurred. But a lot of hugging and sweet little nothings on the beach did.

Move on.

Fenris on February 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM

I like Todd’s faux indignation when she insinuated his remarks were better suited for Maddow, as if he’s not a partisan hack.

changer1701 on February 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM

This female Karl Rove can make pundit love to Christie till the cows come home. She’s hoping tubby is in a position to line her RINO consultant pockets down the line. I hope she burns her bridges with her lamestream sponsors by torching little Chuckie.

kingsmill on February 12, 2014 at 10:32 AM

tcufrog on February 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Where are you getting that? Guy Benson is the only one regularly defending him here. He doesn;t seem to be Allah’s preference, and you really can’t tell from Ed’s.

changer1701 on February 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM

tcufrog on February 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Let’s just say that they are more open to the idea that the fat man who endorsed Obama is a good fit with the GOP. Whether the bastard can sway real conservatives is more debatable.

But hey, what do I know. I think that Boehner has been a God awful leader who should have been working to create a unified front instead of conspiring with Democrats and the editorial staff sees that differently too. I guess I’m just not ready to become a surrender weasel.

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2014 at 10:41 AM

tcufrog on February 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM

The staff is pro-Amnesty and pro-homosexual marriage.

Of course Christie is their guy. Then Jeb Bush.

sentinelrules on February 12, 2014 at 10:41 AM

kevinkristy on February 12, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Yeah well Candy Crowley claims that she was fair to Mitt Romney in the second Presidential Debate. These people are so corrupt within the same echo chamber that they don’t even recognize just how corrupt they are.

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM

changer1701 on February 12, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Because all of the Christie articles and sections posted on this site seem to be circling the wagons and write ups about how the evil democrats are conspiring to take down one of our guys(as if we accept Christie as one of us) and how its all lies and how Christie will come out stronger etc.

Throw in the fact we always get told “can’t die on this hill, live to fight another day, we need to accept these crap sandwiches for electoral viability” all the time and the subtle amnesty posts(remember the pro-amnesty editorial after Romney lost in 2012) and it just makes sense

tcufrog on February 12, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Look, defending Cristie isn’t close to being the same as endorsing him. Try and get your heads around the fact that 99% of the motivation behind it is for a larger reason that will help us all in the long run, no matter WHO the nominee is.

The goal is to expose the breathtaking media bias and double standards so thoroughly that they simply cannot deny it anymore. It is working, IMHO. All because of Cristie. They are tying themselves in knots trying not to talk about the epic crash and burn of Liberalism that we are currently living through. It is funny and instructional at the same time.

Mord on February 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Mord on February 12, 2014 at 10:53 AM

It might be media bias but the ends justify the means here IMO

Anything to get rid of Christie

tcufrog on February 12, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Chucky T has dropped all pretense of journalism…

d1carter on February 12, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Of course Christie is a great moolah raiser – “Hey, buddy, I got these ‘made guy’ pals of mine…” Hee hee…

vnvet on February 12, 2014 at 11:12 AM

The official new response to stupid comments from MSNBC hosts, “Rachael’s not on ’til 9:00″.

Tater Salad on February 12, 2014 at 11:14 AM

tcufrog on February 12, 2014 at 10:24 AM

At HA it’s hard to separate the authors from the trolls, especially the male authors.

bw222 on February 12, 2014 at 11:21 AM

A bit like Benghazi.

lostmotherland on February 12, 2014 at 12:01 PM

With Nicole Wallace on his team Christie is doomed.

Viator on February 12, 2014 at 12:26 PM

Christie had little to do with that.

Obama & liberals raised more money for RGA than Christie did.

portlandon on February 12, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Nicole Wallace?…..oh yeah, the friend of Katie Couric that stabbed Palin in the back and set her up.

Chuck Todd?……oh yeah, the frequent Laura Ingraham radio guest that says he’s not biased, while licking the boots of the Ruling class Democrats in D.C.

Yep, both just a little good cop / bad cop fake outrage for the day.

PappyD61 on February 12, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Wallace did an excellent takedown of the “unbiased” Chuck Todd. Again, the Democrats and some of the TruCons overplayed their hands with these attacks on Christie on the Bridgegate scandal, and with this record-setting fundraising as head of the RGA, he should come out of this fine. When the commentators on this site can raise $6 million for the GOP in one month, then they can talk about how “useless” Christie is. Until then, having fun yelling at your computer screen

Dr.B on February 12, 2014 at 1:47 PM

If two political activists disguised as “objective journalists” argue on MSNBC about Kristie Kreme, and no one watched it… how tall is Imhotep?

Myron Falwell on February 12, 2014 at 1:53 PM

Me thinks Maddow’s power at MSNBC is about ready to be eclipsed by the suits running the network.

Zomcon JEM on February 12, 2014 at 4:21 PM

Well of course!! That kind of petty crap is only relevant when the subject is Sarah Palin!

Right, Nicole Wallace?