Senate overcomes filibuster on clean debt-ceiling hike — with a dozen Republican votes

posted at 4:01 pm on February 12, 2014 by Allahpundit

Ted Cruz vowed yesterday that he’d object if Reid tried to make this easy for Republicans by passing the bill with a simple majority voice vote. Sixty votes or bust, said Cruz, just like it is for cloture on any other bill. Make everyone stand up and be counted. And so the suspense mounted: Could Mitch McConnell find five Republicans willing to join 55 Democrats in breaking a filibuster of a clean debt-ceiling hike?

He found 12. One of whom is named “Mitch McConnell.”

That’s the cloture vote. The vote on the final bill itself, which was academic once the filibuster was defeated, went strict party-line at 55-43. In other words, every one of the 12 who helped Democrats advance a clean debt-ceiling hike turned around and voted no on the meaningless final vote to provide themselves with a fig leaf once conservatives start attacking them as sellouts.

Republicans are, as usual, mad at Cruz:

Senate Republicans — unwilling to default on the nation’s debt but hoping to avoid voting for any debt ceiling increase — seethed at Mr. Cruz’s move, which many said was purely political and which forced them to scramble to produce at least five votes to end debate and move on to a final vote.

Senator John Hoeven, Republican of North Dakota, simply smiled when asked if he was annoyed with Mr. Cruz’s filibuster threat. “We’re working to see what we can put together, but I don’t know yet how it’s going to go,” he said.

Explain something to me: Why did McConnell and Cornyn vote yes? I realize it’s tradition for the leadership to step up and jump off the cliff on a tough vote like this (Boehner, Cantor, McCarthy, and Issa all voted for yesterday’s debt-ceiling hike in the House), but they didn’t need to set an example to get reliable squishes like Collins, Kirk, and Murkowski to cross the aisle. McCain, I’m sure, relished sticking it to Cruz by helping to beat his filibuster and called McConnell “very courageous” afterward for taking the plunge with them. But that’s my point — doubtless all 12 Republican yeses on cloture today would prefer to have Mitch McConnell back in the Senate next year than see him replaced by Matt Bevin. Why not give him and Cornyn, who’s also up for reelection, a pass on this one? Or maybe they did and McConnell and Cornyn decided that they were duty bound to vote yes anyway. Oh well. Easy lay-up for Team Bevin’s press shop.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3

So are you conservatives going to primary these guys and nominate more nutjob candidates that will get slaughtered in the general thus keeping Reid in control of the Senate?
LeftoCenter on February 12, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Gee, I don’t know. The only conservatives we nominated were Rand Paul, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio, and Mike Lee. You think they got a shot at getting elected?

Brock Robamney on February 12, 2014 at 9:42 PM

Cruz. Paul 2016

newportmike on February 12, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Vote for Dwayne Stovall in the TX Primary March 4.

elowe on February 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I am!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 12, 2014 at 6:23 PM

Same here, unfortunately, Cornyn doesn’t have a really strong opponent so I’m afraid he’ll win the primary and the general. When Cornyn was first elected he wasn’t too bad. But like too manyof them, he’s gone to the dark side and been bought off by the cheap labor homebuilders.

Vote for state rep Dan Patrick for Lt. Gov. He’s anti-amnesty and a good conservative.

TxAnn56 on February 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Dwayne Stovall is also running against Cornyn. Stovall has MY vote!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Does Texas have a nun-off if no one gets a majority? If not, conservatives better unite behind either Stovall or Stockman.

Coates became Senator of Indiana and Snyder became governor of Michigan when each won the GOP primary with 41% because conservatives split the vote. The best way for a RINO to win is if conservatives split a majority of the vote.

bw222 on February 12, 2014 at 9:52 PM

TxAnn56 on February 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Mark Levin brought up the same point about Boehner. When the Crybaby was first elected in 1994, he was a conservative reformer. Few places corrupt like Washington.

bw222 on February 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM

The way to get the debt under control is to stop voting for more spending, not to force a default.

rockmom on February 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Oh, Ma. Asking for movement in our national spending orgy and ocean of debt under the very relevant leverage provided by the continuing debate over our exploding debt ceiling is not “forcing a default”. But it’s nice to see that the idiot Democrats’ ridiculous rhetoric wasn’t entirely wasted.

Jaibones on February 12, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I’m back because I feel like being back.

I see, hell bent on sowing more seeds of discontent?

What, the substance of what I posted hits a little too close the mark there? Truth hurts I guess.

No. The substance of your comments contains the portrayal of a quitter who wants others to do the same.

You go right on ahead defending the status quo.

Who said anything about defending the status quo? There is a faction of the party that is in the midst of a tug of war in case you haven’t noticed. A battle that only started 5 years ago in an effort to take over one of two national parties and has made quite alot of progress in that time. It’s the path of least resistance, not the path of no resistance. The House is already making good strides and could be within the grasp of the Tea Party, and with Republican control of the Senate, the Tea Party could flex alot more muscle politically. In 2016 there could actually be Tea Party candidates running for president. Not an accomplishment to sneeze at for a grassroots movement in only several years.
I work for the cause. What are you doing? Oh, that’s right….quitting.

Be sure to check back in when it finally dawns on you that you’re supporting people that ARE part of the problem.

Left_is_Wrong on February 12, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I don’t support anyone who is part of the problem… and that includes you.

lynncgb on February 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Vote for Dwayne Stovall in the TX Primary March 4.

elowe on February 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM

I am!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 12, 2014 at 6:23 PM

TxAnn56 on February 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Listening to Cornyn’s radio ads, he is the next best thing to Reagan. of course there is no mention of his amnesty support either. Just disgusting…..

No Time Clock on February 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM

I’m embarrassed that Cornyn is WAS a Texan

*spits*

Katfish on February 12, 2014 at 10:17 PM

Cruz makes enemies for no good reason. He lacks political experience and it shows.

Toocon on February 12, 2014 at 9:09 PM

So Cruz lacks political experience, right? But he is smart enough to know what his party’s base wants and goes to bat for them.

However, the gurus of political experience – the GOP Establishment – continue to poke their fingers’ into the eyes of their party base and have joined hands with Democrats to pass every one of Obama’s agenda items, even immigration.

(Heaves a sigh…)

Look, I know you enjoy being an apologist for the GOP Establishment but even you have to realize that the status quo is not sustainable. The GOP Establishment is heading for a catastrophe and I doubt they know how disastrous it will be for them.

TheRightMan on February 12, 2014 at 10:19 PM

TxAnn56 on February 12, 2014 at 9:49 PM

So far for me: Abbott(Gov) Patrick(Lt.G), Smitherman(AG), Stovall(senate)

annoyinglittletwerp on February 12, 2014 at 10:25 PM

lynncgb on February 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Then you’re also against the GOPe declaring war on Conservatives and the Tea Party. Good for you.

I, unlike you, won’t vote for people actively working to defeat anything and everything Conservative.

Left_is_Wrong on February 12, 2014 at 10:31 PM

No Time Clock on February 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM

One of the local talk radio guys always makes fun of that ad whenever it comes on. He calls him John Wayne Cornyn but yeah, it’s pretty pathetic. It reminds me a lot of “Build the Dang Fence” traitor John McCain. Cornyn’s just itchin to pass amnesty for his wealthy homebuilder masters.

TxAnn56 on February 12, 2014 at 10:38 PM

No Time Clock on February 12, 2014 at 10:15 PM

Whenever I hear his ads, I wonder if he has a good clone somewhere that he is talking about. “I stand up to Obama every day”. All I gotta ask is name three times.

Corsair on February 12, 2014 at 10:42 PM

LOL

Tell me again why anyone should bother voting GOP in November?

Midas on February 12, 2014 at 10:42 PM

So far for me: Abbott(Gov) Patrick(Lt.G), Smitherman(AG), Stovall(senate)

annoyinglittletwerp on February 12, 2014 at 10:25 PM

Same on all those except AG, I’m voting for Ken Paxton. Glenn Hegar for comptroller and Sid Miller for AG commissioner. Who I am not voting for is George P. Bush for Land Commissioner. He has zero experience. Just the Rino Bush label.

TxAnn56 on February 12, 2014 at 10:43 PM

F*cking Cornyn. Straight to hell, you rat bastard – you and the rest of them.

*seething*

Midas on February 12, 2014 at 10:46 PM

Corsair on February 12, 2014 at 10:42 PM

And “pushes back”, too, or something.

F*cker.

Midas on February 12, 2014 at 10:47 PM

Left_is_Wrong on February 12, 2014 at 10:31 PM

Did you think the establishment GOP types were all going to go down without a fight?

Go help a candidate you can feel good about supporting and get in the game.

I’m working to Hagan out this year.

lynncgb on February 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Go help a candidate you can feel good about supporting and get in the game.

I’m working to Hagan out this year.

lynncgb on February 12, 2014 at 10:48 PM

Did the GOPe think we would just continue to vote for them while they continue to stab us in the back?

I’m helping the candidates I want. But I’m also deriding the GOPe for the backstabbers they are.

Left_is_Wrong on February 12, 2014 at 10:55 PM

Whew! Good thing we haven’t had a budget in years, otherwise there might be an end to the arbitrary ceiling, faux default and organized panic. It’s so much more exciting this way./

AppraisHer on February 12, 2014 at 10:57 PM

The Republicans kept the government open? Doing their jobs? Good for them, I guess.

TheReasonableLiberal on February 12, 2014 at 11:02 PM

Left_is_Wrong on February 12, 2014 at 10:55 PM

We all post our contempt for some of these fools, but it’s quite another matter to actively work against the Party as a whole…which was my first impression of your comments yesterday.

IMO, it’s just not the time to give up. This year’s election could involve a huge turning point for the Tea Party. That’s something worth working for.

lynncgb on February 12, 2014 at 11:15 PM

lynncgb on February 12, 2014 at 11:15 PM

I’m not giving up at all. I’m refusing to support or vote for people that actively work against my interests. And sure, it’s not all of the GOP, but the GOPe portion of it, can die in a fire as far as I’m concerned. I won’t support them or vote for them, even if it’s against (D). They’re both enemies to me.

Left_is_Wrong on February 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM

Why is it that when 87% of the Government is open it is considered a shutdown, and when 100% of the Government is closed for over 200 days a year, nobody notices?

Brock Robamney on February 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Brock Robamney on February 12, 2014 at 11:23 PM

Because the Dims and GOPe could use it to slam the Tea Party and Conservatives in the ObamaMedia. But then you already knew that.

Left_is_Wrong on February 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM

Left_is_Wrong on February 12, 2014 at 11:30 PM

gah, stupid close quote. Sorry.

Left_is_Wrong on February 12, 2014 at 11:31 PM

I’m not giving up at all.

Excellent.

I don’t know who you’re stuck with for reps. so I won’t judge. I voted for Burr and he can be squish at times. One by one we keep working on it.

the GOPe portion of it, can die in a fire as far as I’m concerned.

I don’t know if I’d put it quite that way, but I think you’re in the right place with plenty of company.

lynncgb on February 12, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Left_is_Wrong on February 12, 2014 at 11:20 PM

This. In spades. There is no longer a guarantee vote to a (R) if said (R) is not conservative. They can rot. We are here because those trolls lost their way.

USNCVN on February 12, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Eye-popping, turkey-waddling, no chin wonder.

Sherman1864 on February 13, 2014 at 12:39 AM

If Harry Reid is telling you how to vote, then you are no longer a republican. The vote in 2014 will be a protest vote against Paul Ryan – his anti-veteran rants and his push for amnesty. He is endorsing a candidate in NY 21 Elise Stefanik who refuses to give her position on immigration or the COLA cuts. She is in a heavy military district (Ft. Drum) with some very patriotic Americans worried about their jobs. Paul Ryan is not a hero outside a Chamber of Commerce meeting.

Proxy fight with the establishment.

TAARP on February 13, 2014 at 12:53 AM

I would like to see the conservatives spending all of their political capital on the Hill, working on a structure that would control spending, something similar to Gramm-Rudman, etc. That would be worth a thousand pointless debt ceiling battles.

cimbri on February 13, 2014 at 1:47 AM

We need to clean house bad….

sorrowen on February 13, 2014 at 1:58 AM

Maybe it’s just basic math but uhhh this much debt is not good at all. Obviously we can fix it by cutting government and creating jobs. But big gov does not create jobs…so yeah we have a lot of work to do…

sorrowen on February 13, 2014 at 2:02 AM

Anyone who doesn’t turn liberal after these last two days is a fool.

L.I.B.eral, that is.

LegendHasIt on February 13, 2014 at 2:30 AM

“Durr!!! You Tea Party people with your purity tests — ugh! durr!! — are going to cost (while eating booger) the Senate.”

These powerful RINOs do more harm twisting arms behind the scenes than a freshman dem could do in a 100 years…

The establishment GOP are liberals…

conservativeBC on February 13, 2014 at 4:28 AM

The most intelligent thing from you all year:

Because they are so out of touch, and so drunk with power, that actually don’t realize how much trouble they are in…

conservativeBC on February 13, 2014 at 4:36 AM

GOP Senators voting to break filibuster: … Flake … Thune

— Jeff Zeleny (@jeffzeleny) February 12, 2014

wtf?

thirtyandseven on February 13, 2014 at 5:30 AM

LOL
Tell me again why anyone should bother voting GOP in November?
Midas on February 12, 2014 at 10:42 PM

No reason. Voting GOP is a garbage vote. Unless the candidate running is a constitutionalist, I will vote for the independent or Tea Party candidate. Sorry Ander Crenshaw. I have noticed your votes to fund Obamacare, and I am ticked off

Brock Robamney on February 13, 2014 at 5:40 AM

Sigh. These threads are so ridiculous.

We all know the politics of this. The Democrats want to spend America to death, but the GOP will get blamed for all of the dysfunction a shutdown causes so the Democrats can just laugh their way to the voting booth. The weakest links in the GOP will gradually fold under the pressure from the daily vilifying from the MSM and the gradual deterioration in the polls, so exactly what is accomplished by using this tactic?

This is not rocket science. The American Voter CHOSE this impossible state of affairs when they reelected Obama and his veto pen. They CHOSE it when they reelected Democrat Senators. They continue to choose it when they listen to the MSM and blame the GOP for shutdowns.

The typical modern American Voter is a grasping moron. Deal with it.

Seriously. Any strategy going forward that does not recognize the fundamental lack of basic good sense of today’s American Voter is clueless and doomed to failure from the start.

fadetogray on February 13, 2014 at 7:11 AM

My take.

kingsjester on February 13, 2014 at 7:46 AM

I guess Thune is a RINO now. Primary his skinny butt.

ceruleanblue on February 13, 2014 at 8:30 AM

The 12 are all RINO first round draft picks!

cajunpatriot on February 13, 2014 at 9:09 AM

I am not totally against this deficit spending vote, although I am in favor of reducing the budget so that it never is deficit spending, and a fixed maximum percentage of GDP. The problem is, the budget they agreed to a few weeks ago…that covers Oct. 2013 to Oct. 2014 does forsee deficit spending. The question is, can Paul Ryan or some other budget expert see if the administration is spending MORE than in that budget? I was ok with that budget through October. I want to send Republicans in November to the Senate, then, I want a Tea Partier in our leadership. Boehner has said he might leave, and in the Senate we have much more charismatic leaders available now than McConnell. Damb the House and Senate rules on seniority, we need EFFECTIVE leaders more than the next one on the civil service list.

So, If they can see Obama is overspending, something has to be done, but if he is tailoring to that budget, the debt limit should be raised only that amount until October. And, if they are overspending, a big deal needs to be made, like if Obama does not enact the cuts in the Murray Ryan budget, that would be a constitutional malfeasance, wouldn’t it?

Fleuries on February 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM

Matt Bevin is behind McConnell an average of 31.7 points, according to Realclearpolitics. Perhaps McConnell doesn’t feel threatened by him, or does what’s in the BEST interests of Republicans (in the short-term) anyway?

Armyspouse on February 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM

On the bright side, we now have 12 new reasons why we seriously need term limitation in The Senate, especially when it comes to a certified piece of crap like RINO McCain and a gutless wonder like No Spine McConnell!

pilamaye on February 13, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Armyspouse on February 13, 2014 at 9:12 AM

It’s early and Bevin is an unknown quantity at this point. The state of the race as it stands now reminds of a race between and upcoming conservative and a race baiting Oompa Loompa currently gracing the front page of Hot Air

Brock Robamney on February 13, 2014 at 11:42 AM

Brock Robamney on February 13, 2014 at 11:42 AM

It’s not early, the primary is in May, and Bevin going to be buried. But enjoy your fantasy.

rockmom on February 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Brock Robamney on February 13, 2014 at 11:42 AM
rockmom on February 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM

I know how Progressives think everything is hunky dory, but McConnell is polling at 32%. Bevin is showing at 62% undecided. This means that KY doesn’t know Bevin. Even if Bevin loses, McConnell is gone, as he is losing to Grimes. Conservatives will not vote for McConnell. This is the year McConnell retires to his turtle farm. So my initial statement that people don’t know Bevin is accurate

Brock Robamney on February 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM

No Surprise here it is like a rollcall of the elitist RINOs in the Senate.
They vote more often as liberal Democrats then to represent the people that put them in their elitist positions. Maybe they hope they can get enough kickbacks and Kool-aid before their election.

John21 on February 13, 2014 at 2:28 PM

These Cornyn commercials are making him out to be Ronald Reagan or something. I want him gone!

neyney on February 13, 2014 at 2:48 PM

The Dirty Dozen. (Name courtesy of Mark Levin)

Brock Robamney on February 14, 2014 at 5:25 AM

Traiterous, Self-serving, ‘Washington Establishment’ Liberal Democrat-wanna-be GOP!

We have no other option than to fire them all.

easyt65 on February 14, 2014 at 9:57 AM