Palin to speak at CPAC

posted at 8:01 am on February 12, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

If you’ve been dithering about whether to attend this year’s CPAC, Breitbart’s Matthew Boyle has news that ups the ante significantly. Sarah Palin will again speak at the annual conservative-activist gathering taking place at National Harbor next month:

Former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin will speak at the Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC), Breitbart News has learned exclusively. CPAC is an annual gathering of thousands of conservative activists hosted by the American Conservative Union (ACU).

“We are pleased to again welcome Governor Sarah Palin to CPAC in March,” ACU Chairman Al Cardenas said in a release provided to Breitbart News. “Governor Palin electrified the crowd in 2013, and we are thrilled to welcome her back this year.”

Palin served as the governor of Alaska from late 2006 until 2009, and was the 2008 Vice Presidential nominee for the Republican Party. In the years since the 2008 election, Palin has been an unstoppable force, organizing conservatives and preparing them for battle against both the Democrats and the GOP establishment in Washington. She is a Fox News contributor and frequent thorn in the side of any career politician pushing big government policies. …

The ACU also notes that Palin is a “three time New York Times best selling Author” and “has a new show ‘Amazing America’ debuting on the Sportsman Channel on April 3rd.”

I missed last year’s CPAC, as I was covering the papal conclave — but we had Erika on the job, as well as Guy and Katie and the rest of the Townhall crew. I’ll be there this year, and am looking forward to Palin’s appearance. She’ll bring the house down as she usually does, with sardonic jabs at a few preferred targets. One has to wonder whether any Republicans might be among them this year.

Palin will provide an interesting contrast to the previously-announced headliner, Chris Christie, who wants to build some credibility with grassroots on the Right. He’s taking a beating in New Jersey thanks to Bridgegate, but the media obsession with an abuse of power over a bridge closing while ignoring much worse abuses in Washington has some conservatives defending Christie … albeit grudgingly, at least for now.

We still have no word on the keynote speaker, but the conference doesn’t start until March 6, and that usually gets announced just shy of ticket-closing time. This announcement brings up an intriguing question: who would make a bigger splash than Palin as a keynote? Matthew lists the speakers already confirmed:

Other confirmed speakers for CPAC include Sens. Marco Rubio (R-FL), Rand Paul (R-KY), and Ted Cruz (R-TX), House Budget Committee chairman Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI), Govs. Bobby Jindal (R-LA) and Chris Christie (R-NJ), former Sen. Rick Santorum (R-PA), businessman Donald Trump, and Dr. Ben Carson.

We’ll see who the ACU chooses to close out the conference, and maybe see you there, too.

Addendum: Just for full disclosure, Townhall is one of the sponsors for CPAC 2014.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

My counter is broke.

Bmore on February 13, 2014 at 10:00 AM

BabyGrace on February 13, 2014 at 9:39 AM

Lolz! Should have said perhaps then, Some of the other Ladies here at HA. ; ) Yes I keep everything. Even the stuff I never show.

Bmore on February 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Bmore on February 13, 2014 at 10:00 AM

LOL. Good job :).

Sarah Palin, irrelevant since 2008. :)

BabyGrace on February 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM

BabyGrace on February 13, 2014 at 10:16 AM

It wasn’t for lack of effort. Lolz! ; )

Bmore on February 13, 2014 at 10:24 AM

BabyGrace on February 13, 2014 at 9:56 AM

I agree. Although I’m not sure that a lot of people leave because of Salem. I think Life has more to do with it. Although I would love to hear from people who don’t comment because of the change. It doesn’t seem logical, same people, same issues and I’ve never seen anyone banned for being conservative. I would think disagreeing with the views of the hosts (respectfully) would increase comments.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Hello Cindy. I don’t think the views of the hosts have anything to do with it, because all HA posters know about Ed’s et AP’s sensitivities and have never challenged them as a whole (out of respect and also, because everyone acknowledges their respective talent).

The choice of subjects to ignore or talk about is more problematic (ie. the editorial line). Obviously, what they have been talking about at HA since 1-2 years is not arousing that much interest in their former/current public.

We used to fight here. It’s gone. Now I don’t know for sure if it’s because of Salem’s sale or not, but I suspect it is. AP and I had a little – and disappointing – exchange on that very subject here, when Twitchy was sold to Salem.

Strangely, RedState was also sold too, but HA didn’t welcome them as their new ‘sister site’ then. Probably because, with RedState, there’s nothing left to lose anymore (for Conservatives, I mean).

BabyGrace on February 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM

BabyGrace on February 13, 2014 at 11:34 AM

That’s a good point, I hadn’t given subject much thought in regards to commenters but have wonder why some incidents haven’t been covered, minor though they be. I would love for some old timers, who might bother to lurk, to weigh in on the issue.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2014 at 11:56 AM

Why can’t I proof read?

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2014 at 12:06 PM

I’ve just asked myself the same question lol

BabyGrace on February 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM

BabyGrace on February 13, 2014 at 12:09 PM

Sorry, could you at least figure out what I was trying to say?

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Well, I thought that you were re-reading your post and were unhappy about not being able to edit it, as I just was a minute ago. Sorry if I misunderstood you.

BabyGrace on February 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM

BabyGrace on February 13, 2014 at 12:31 PM

I was, good to know that I’m not the only one. Dire Straits always reposts a correction but I’d be doing that all day.

Cindy Munford on February 13, 2014 at 12:38 PM

Best part of Sarah Palin is how she drives the progressives nuts.

sniffles1999 on February 13, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Bmore on February 16, 2014 at 9:11 AM

LeftofCenter didn’t make it long.

Bmore on February 16, 2014 at 9:11 AM