Cuomo: Just to be clear, there’s no need for conservatives to leave New York

posted at 6:41 pm on February 12, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo already kinda’-sorta’ tried to walk back his rather indelicately phrased remarks about those “extreme” pro-life, pro-2nd Amendment conservative having “no place in the state of New York,” but apparently the attempt didn’t really resonate. He’s still getting some oh-so-stubbornly lingering flak for the episode, and he tried again at a press conference today to clarify that “everyone has a right to an opinion” and he wasn’t saying that “anyone should leave the state.” Mmm hmmm.

I was not saying anyone should leave the state, right, and anyone who heard the comments knows that’s not what I was saying. To the extent people want to have a political dialogue, that’s what it is. But I wasn’t saying anyone should leave the state. My position is the exact opposite, right? We have all sorts of opinions in this state. We have people all along the spectrum, and it’s one of the things that makes New York special. We can agree to disagree, and everyone has a right to an opinion.

Comments

Let me re-phrase *cough* *cough*…you conservatives are welcome to leave, just leave your money and taxes here.

msupertas on February 12, 2014 at 6:48 PM

As long as you all shut up and take it.

Cliff by the Ford on February 12, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Brave Sir Robin Governor Abortion ran away

22044 on February 12, 2014 at 6:49 PM

msupertas on February 12, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Wow. First comment out of the gate…wins the thread!

22044 on February 12, 2014 at 6:50 PM

“When I said what I said I didn’t actually say it, I actually said something else which only sounded like I said what you thought I said. But I didn’t say that. So, can we all now come together to confiscate guns?”

Bishop on February 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Just to be clear: New York is losing population due to extremely unpopular progressive policies. The only “political dialogue” worth having at this point is the bird we’re flipping on our way out of town.

xNavigator on February 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM

F U.

Bitter Clinger on February 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM

“Are you going to believe me or your lyin’ ears?”

ladyingray on February 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM

“Don’t leave until we can loot you first,” Cuomo said.

/s

viking01 on February 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Mr. Limbaugh may have been the first but he will not be the last.

Conservatives will be viewing this video in their rear-view mirror.

turfmann on February 12, 2014 at 6:55 PM

No to worry Andrew. There are only 16 conservatives remaining in New York as it is.

giorgio111 on February 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM

One thing you’ll never hear from a progressive, or Cuomo is, I respect your opinion. They have no respect for people who disagree with them, which is why he said what he said. That hasn’t changed and will never change. Republicans and Conservatives have been bludgeoned into respecting the opinion of people they disagree with vehemently, yet you never see that level of respect from Liberals or progressives.

bflat879 on February 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM

Awww, Cuomo misses him some taxes.

Lourdes on February 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM

He knows who pays the bills, and it ain’t democrat voters.

SouthernGent on February 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Somebody’s worried about his tax base.

Cindy Munford on February 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM

“We have people all along the spectrum, and it’s one of the things that makes New York special. We can agree to disagree, and everyone has a right to an opinion.”

So only in “special” New York do people have different opinions and have a right to those opinions?

He just makes it worse.

65droptop on February 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Anyone else hear Ann Compton’s shameless heavy duty pimping of O’Commiecare signup on ABC radio?

viking01 on February 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Cuomo: Just to be clear, there’s no need for conservatives to leave New York

Why would they want to stay after you made your views so crystal clear?

I was not saying anyone should leave the state

No, you just said they had no place in the state. Sorta like the way the Mormons were treated. That isn’t a pro-First Amendment comment.

Congrats, you just killed your hopes of being President by one stupid tirade (even as your adminstration is spending millions on plugging NY as pro business).

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2014 at 7:03 PM

viking01 on February 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM

You’ve gotta be more specific. That partisan whore is always breathlessly pro-Obama.

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Just like pro-life, shotgun totin’ Wendy Davis.

davidk on February 12, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Just to be clear, there’s no need for conservatives taxpayers to leave New York

Wigglesworth on February 12, 2014 at 7:05 PM

he never reneges on his initial statement.

scum.

renalin on February 12, 2014 at 7:06 PM

New York is advertising for people to come and start businesses by promising they don’t pay taxes for 10 years.

crankyoldlady on February 12, 2014 at 7:09 PM

everyone has a right to an opinion.

but remember his opinion is better and more important than yours….

albill on February 12, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Ann Compton was going full Andrea Mitchell on Obama…

Is that sufficiently eye-bleach inducing?

viking01 on February 12, 2014 at 7:11 PM

People like this are showing their true colors… they speak what they believe before thinking about the consequences and then try to backtrack. This was the straw that finally broke the camel’s back. I normally go to NYC once or twice a year to see a show or two, eat in restaurants, do some tourist stuff, also known as… spend money. That nut job mayor confirms my decision. I’m done with it, there are plenty of other locations for weekend getaways. I hope others will consider doing the same.

behiker on February 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Go to hell and take your State with you.

rplat on February 12, 2014 at 7:16 PM

viking01 on February 12, 2014 at 7:01 PM

I didn’t catch that, but I caught this:

Most states are still lagging when it comes to sign-ups under President Barack Obama’s health care law, but an Associated Press analysis of numbers reported Wednesday finds a dozen high-achievers getting ahead of the game.

Connecticut is the nation’s top performer, signing up more than twice the number of residents it had been projected to enroll by the end of January. Massachusetts, which pioneered the approach Obama took in his law, is at the bottom of the list having met only 5 percent of its target.

Most states? At least we got that sterling example of Connecticut. Right?:

Enrollment delays plague Obamacare customers in Connecticut, where only about eight percent of new enrollees paid their premiums on time.

Older people are signing up for health care coverage under Connecticut’s insurance marketplace, data released Tuesday showed.

Fifty-four percent of the 12,648 individuals enrolled in private insurance plans and government-funded Medicaid are between 45 and 64 years old, according to demographic information as of Nov. 14 released by the marketplace, Access Health CT.

Of just the 7,092 who enrolled in private insurance, 61 percent are between 45 and 64.

One concern about the insurance marketplaces that are a key component of President Barack Obama’s health care law was that they won’t attract young, healthy people to make them financially viable. Insurers have warned that they need a wide range of people signing up for coverage because premiums paid by younger and healthier adults are needed to offset the cost of carrying older and sicker customers who typically generate far more in medical bills than they contribute in premiums.

davidk on February 12, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Seems odd that New York is airing those “New York is open for business” ads at the same time the governor is back tracking his remarks. What responsible business person would consider moving a business to that state, only to be slammed – and slammed again – but the governor?

Not for me, thank you.

joecollins on February 12, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Ann Compton was going full Andrea Mitchell on Obama…

Is that sufficiently eye-bleach inducing?

viking01 on February 12, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Whoa, man!!

I’m trying to eat dinner here.

Bitter Clinger on February 12, 2014 at 7:18 PM

What he meant to say was, “Everyone has the right to MY opinion”.

vnvet on February 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM

Shut up, he explained.

Knott Buyinit on February 12, 2014 at 7:20 PM

giorgio111 on February 12, 2014 at 6:58 PM

And they’re all planning to move to California for a better business climate, lower taxes and better weather.

MichaelGabriel on February 12, 2014 at 7:20 PM

“Right-to-life, pro-assault weapons, anti-gay — if that’s who they are, they have no place in the state of New York because that’s not who New Yorkers are,” – Andrew Cuomo

“But I wasn’t saying anyone should leave the state. My position is the exact opposite, right? We have all sorts of opinions in this state.” – Andrew Cuomo

“I did not have sexual relations with that woman” – Bill Clinton

“If you like your health care plan…you can keep your health care plan…period” – The Doggy Diner

“What difference, at this point, does it make?!?” – Hillary R. Clinton

And these folks are highly regarded by the libiots in the DemocRAT party…and most of the voting public, alive or dead…Any wonder why we are as screwed up as we are, folks?? Keep electing these crap-weasels and we’ll ALL be living ‘off the grid’ in two or three years…

bimmcorp on February 12, 2014 at 7:22 PM

LIAR!

rottenrobbie on February 12, 2014 at 7:23 PM

Cuomo: Just to be clear

…what a mouth on that nitwit!…I’m sure we all in our own way…have something…for it… when it’s open like that!

KOOLAID2 on February 12, 2014 at 7:25 PM

It is no longer politically correct to be a conservative. Next up, the call for re-education camps for right-wingers.

Quirt Evans on February 12, 2014 at 7:26 PM

…but if you do leave, we’ll audit your ass for the next ten years.

slickwillie2001 on February 12, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Ann Compton was going full Andrea Mitchell on Obama…

Is that sufficiently eye-bleach inducing?

viking01 on February 12, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Yep, pretty much, thankfully (unlike others) I was not eating.

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Progressives like Cuomo blurt out things like this because they can’t really be bothered to think. Instead, they just regurgitate their dogmas over and over again, and are then utterly shocked when other people (outside of their comfy echo chambers) take them at their word- and tell them they don’t appreciate their bigotry.

Hence, the walkback. Not because he doesn’t believe it, but because his staff told him it threatens his future aspirations. (He wants to be POTUS when The One ascends to Ultimate Totality God of Everything for the Rest of Eternity, you know.)

At which point, he will no doubt feel perfectly free to say what every progressive truly believes is their divine right to tell everyone else;

Obey Me Or Die.

clear ether

eon

eon on February 12, 2014 at 7:32 PM

I guess if I tell Andy what I think I should do to himself, the banning stick will come out?

vityas on February 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM

What a piece of crap

sadsushi on February 12, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Sean Hannity is leaving and he is not afraid to say that he is. He’s got his home up for sale now. Maybe Cuomo realizes anymore like Hannity picking up and leaving will leave a bigger deficit in NY’s budget.

Mirimichi on February 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Happy Nomad on February 12, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Just be glad I didn’t describe Ann Compton’s Flukefest of Barky by aroused Candy Crowley terminology.

viking01 on February 12, 2014 at 7:38 PM

behiker on February 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM

You should write and tell him that.

cptacek on February 12, 2014 at 7:38 PM

A liberal (1) shares something in an unguarded moment, but then (2) does a 180 after (1) is made public. Who knows what to believe?

Meanwhile, Republicans must be consistent about what they believe in public and in private, but everything they say is a code word in any event.

will77jeff on February 12, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Well well so now everyone has a right to an opinion.

pack your bags governor we are coming for you.

work on your resume the job market sucks in NY.

MrMoe on February 12, 2014 at 7:42 PM

KOOLAID2 on February 12, 2014 at 7:25 PM

To quote Rodney Dangerfield, “The last time I saw a mouth like that it had a hook in it…”

bimmcorp on February 12, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Kinda reminds me of Christy’s position on “extremists” having no place in the Republican party. Course that was his position when he had his tongue down Obama’s throat right before the election. I don’t think he ‘s feeling the love anymore from his BFF at MSNBC.

bluesdoc70 on February 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Enough of “the rich” leave NY, Cuomo will be sucking more than wind.

GarandFan on February 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Anybody with a lick of sense should just get the heck out of New York. It is not going to get any better. Better to get out now, before the wheels come completely off the wagon.

Haiku Guy on February 12, 2014 at 7:49 PM

New York is doing so well that I have to listen to all these damn commercials inviting businesses to come to NY tax free for 10 years. They run in our market incessantly and I am in New Mexico. A state that is doing well shouldn’t have to advertise, right?

I don’t see those same ads from Michigan because they finally got a Republican governor. I think NY should do the same.

cardinalmike on February 12, 2014 at 8:01 PM

bluesdoc70 on February 12, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Hmm… he looked so guilty … I don’t think a tongue was involved

MrMoe on February 12, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Dear Gov Cuomo:

GFY and I mean that sincerely from the bottom of my heart.

307wolverine on February 12, 2014 at 8:11 PM

… and anyone who heard the comments knows that’s not what I was saying.

BS. He said it. It’s all over YouTube. Why doesn’t Cuomo just own up to what he said, and start from there? Why lie about it?

Just like Obama … why lie so much?

Whatever happened to honor and integrity? What ever happened to the public heroes that one might want to emulate? To point out to their sons or daughters that this person … that person – a true American hero. Selfless, patriotic, upstanding, honest, with integrity.

majorzot on February 12, 2014 at 8:13 PM

cardinalmike on February 12, 2014 at 8:01 PM

1. MI is now a RTW state. NY? Not so much

2. Our Governor is a former venture capitalist. His staff is working the Rolodex behind the scenes.

307wolverine on February 12, 2014 at 8:14 PM

dem/lib/progs ALWAYS like to say, “everyone who heard me knew what i meant, blah, blah, blah”, anytime they’re playing “walk-it-back”

getthelibsout on February 12, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Just to be clear, there’s no need for conservatives to leave New York

Sez the totalitarian Gov. of a socialist state who’s afraid to miss out on a few tax dollars.

antipc on February 12, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Just to be clear, Mr Cuomo: STFU.

Pandering, mealy mouthed weasel.

orangemtl on February 12, 2014 at 8:32 PM

He knows who pays the bills, and it ain’t democrat voters.

SouthernGent on February 12, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Game. Set. Match. I suppose what Cuomo meant this time is there is no reason to leave except him and his ilk.

ghostwalker1 on February 12, 2014 at 8:34 PM

Too late, Hitler.

I found it incredibly humorous that New York was airing ads in Michigan for businesses to pack up and go there tax free for ten years (riiiiight) then he shows his fascist side with those anti conservative remarks.

Once he made those remarks he made up a lot of minds, no amount of fluffy commercials or walking it back is going to help. Conservatives know what he is, if they didn’t already before he opened mouth, inserted both feet.

Diluculo on February 12, 2014 at 8:39 PM

I’d actually like to congratulate Cuomo for his initial statement. One of the advantages of living in a decentralized federal Republic is that people get to move with their feet and find like-minded individuals to live with. Want to be a back-to-earth hippie? Come to Vermont! Pro-gun Christian? Come on down to Texas. Big government statism more your style? Join your
comrades in Massachusetts. Et cetera et cetera.

At least Cuomo put everyone on notice with his initial statement.
Pro life, pro-gun? You best be headed elsewhere.

will77jeff on February 12, 2014 at 8:49 PM

I might move to NY just so I can leave. Dude’s a b tch.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 12, 2014 at 8:57 PM

cardinalmike on February 12, 2014 at 8:01 PM

I’ve seen them too. I wonder if the taxes are deferred and they hit all at once in the 11th year. Wouldn’t be surprised. What happens if a company tries to leave after a few years. I doubt anyone will fall for the adds; but if they do, please read the fine print. This guy is the epitome of extremist. (pot meet kettle?) I guess I’ll never get to visit the Freedom Tower. Not one red cent to that state from me. Thanks Cuomo, now my bucket list is all screwed up. And damn, I was thinking of getting one of those MakerBots or a G-MAX. Guess I’ll buy elsewhere.

P. Logan on February 12, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Bishop on February 12, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Well said!

r27cj on February 12, 2014 at 9:47 PM

From the New New York. I can promise the Governor this Conservative and his family will never visit New York.

sigsauer on February 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM

Awww, Cuomo misses him some taxes.

Lourdes on February 12, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Not to worry, the illegals will pay a thousand times more in taxes than Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity and the others who leave… Right?

RJL on February 12, 2014 at 10:01 PM

Facism is ugly…

d1carter on February 12, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Gov.Fredo

Thicklugdonkey on February 12, 2014 at 10:18 PM

“Dis DeBlasio guy is lookin’ ta cost us a freakin’ BUNDLE…”

mojo on February 12, 2014 at 10:51 PM

So the revenues are probably showing he needs conservatives to keep up his spending…

ojfltx on February 12, 2014 at 11:08 PM

As soon as the mortgage is paid, we’re gone Andy. Even if we get rid of you with Astorino.

Iblis on February 12, 2014 at 11:09 PM

“BEE-CAUUUSE IT DOESN’T TAKE TEN BULLETS TO KILL A DEAH!!!! BUT YOU’LL NEED AT LEAST THAT MANY FAWWW MEEEEEE!”

williamg on February 12, 2014 at 11:53 PM

Mr. Burns: Smithers, are they boo-ing me?
Smithers: Uh…no. They’re saying boo-URNS, boo-URNS
Mrs. Burns: (To the crowd) Excuse me, are you saying BOO or BOOURNS?
Crowd: BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!
Hans Moleman: (to himself) I was saying boourns.

Pegcity on February 13, 2014 at 12:32 AM

We all heard you, Cuomo, you are full of hate for those that won’t obey you.

You have no business in public office, given your contempt for the public you claim to serve.

virgo on February 13, 2014 at 12:51 AM

I think I’ll move to Italy, get elected to some provincial position, and tell the people who have countless generations buried there that they don’t belong there. How will that work out?

bbhack on February 13, 2014 at 2:03 AM

The thousands of government employees added by just the Department of Education in each State is astounding. District of Columbia leads the pack with 746 but NYS leads the States with 2,200 DOE employees. Andrew is searching for any tax he can find to support the NYS Government. The tire tax of $2.50 per new tire has been revised twice and the used tire dumps have been cleaned up for years but the twenty six million dollars is too much of a treat to let go. What say you about that Andrew?

mixplix on February 13, 2014 at 5:48 AM

No need to leave, we can ignore you wherever you are

clippermiami on February 13, 2014 at 7:18 AM

I’m smart enough to know when I’m not welcome. NY can be as blue as it wants, without me. I’m about a thousand days from retirement, and self-imposed banishment. The taxes alone are enough to drive me out, but I’d be gone regardless.

thefirstMarkD on February 13, 2014 at 8:06 AM

I voted with my feet yrs ago .. but I remember the good ole days when we used to sit around fantasizing about one of Mario’s daughters getting r*ped and killed so we could finally get the death penalty to stop the scum from ruling the streets .. ahhh the good ole days .. when the new commie mayor was only a commissar under DuncanDonuts .. errr I mean David Dinkins! When you could smoke on the streets, have any size soda you wanted and the local PTAs still held some sway over the way their children were taught! When men were men and you didn’t have to pay for it if they wanted to be women! If anyone believes this new 10yr tax free ad they got running, I got a unicorn that shoots rainbows outta his butt for $2 a pop!!

GKChesterton99 on February 13, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Yeah, everyone’s entitled to their opinion, so long as they don’t try to express it through the electoral system, right, Mario?

Cause that’s so much less controversial than saying they’re not welcome in the state.

The Schaef on February 13, 2014 at 9:32 AM

Sorry, Andrew, not Mario.

I think I just let my age fall out of my pocket.

The Schaef on February 13, 2014 at 9:34 AM

Well, isn’t that nice of him. /s

Bozo.

Sterling Holobyte on February 13, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Who does he think he is….Wendy Davis? Or that other flip flopper, John Kerry?

Lee Jan on February 13, 2014 at 10:02 AM

I am returning to New York after being away for 30 years. That being said, I and others like me will be gunning to take back our state. (pun not really intended but I’ll take credit for it anyway.)
Nothing like being told to vacate to get people fired up.

ditto_95 on February 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Just think of what he’d say if conservatives didn’t have any money.

MrLogistics on February 13, 2014 at 10:22 AM

Just like his socialist father. He can’t get his story straight no matter what he says.

regmgr on February 13, 2014 at 10:36 AM

My wife and I fled California a few years ago, and as we were driving out of the state on I-40, I noticed something: There were lots of cars with California plates, packed to the gills with stuff, all heading east, to parts unknown. These folks weren’t packed for a vacation either, I can tell you that. They were outta there, permanently.

The same thing is/will continue to happen in NY. Clowns like Cuomo, just like his fellow travelers in CA, will make it so toxic for conservatives to continue to live in their respective states that eventually there’ll be only two classes of people living there: Rich, white, liberal elites, living behind the walls, gates, and fences, and poor brown people, living at the bottom of the hill, serving them.

dinahmoehumm on February 13, 2014 at 10:38 AM

Not only is there, but there is even a better reason to avoid it completely. NYC suffers from a death wish, and conservatives would be better off boycotting everything about it. The pollution, crimes and cost to simply spend a day in NYC is like purposely going to some foreign hell-hole. Give it to Cuba, maybe they can improve it.

Hening on February 13, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Too late, Govenor. The damage has been done.

Your intolerance has been logged and noted. I found your statements hurtful more than anything else.

I am embarrassed to have lived in that state. I hope you come back to your senses in a more meaningful way than just platitudes.

RI_Red on February 13, 2014 at 10:58 AM

thefirstMarkD on February 13, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Yup. The houses on either side of me (in Westchester) are up for sale, and the high taxes are the main reason. One of my neighbors is looking at FL, the other GA. I’m about 20 years away from retirement, but hopefully there will still be room in TX.

Maddie on February 13, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Go back to the original audio of what Cuomo said. Not only did he precisely say that anyone with those views does NOT BELONG in New York State, the TONE with which he said it is extremely taunting and bratty. He meant what he said then, and he is flat-out lying now.

Logic on February 13, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Now what are we supposed to believe – Cuomo’s nasty truth or his nasty lies? Hard to determine when that fool isn’t pandering to someone.

katiejane on February 13, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Is there any question as to why Chris Christie has a crash on this man?

Pork-Chop on February 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Phuck You Cuomo! You anti Constitution POS. Hopefully, one day, the true Americans that are for freedom, will throw you, and those like you, out of this country. You have every right to be here, you have no right to try and change the Constitution.

F_This on February 13, 2014 at 1:41 PM

Darn — I always laughed when I saw the move your company to NY ads on Fox Business. Mentally added the line, “. . . except you consevative types.”

polarglen on February 13, 2014 at 2:05 PM

I think I understand.

Statement #1.
1) You should NOT be allowed to live in New York.

Statement #2.
2) You should NOT leave and live somewhere other than New York.

As he states to clarify his opinion is “in fact, the exact opposite” of the statement that you should live elsewhere.

How is this confusing?

Take the opposites of both bolded words. That is clearly the opposite, and validates all of his statements.

gekkobear on February 13, 2014 at 6:06 PM