Why’d they kill that giraffe?

posted at 7:21 pm on February 10, 2014 by Allahpundit

Am I right in thinking that opinion about this in the comments is destined to break down along conservative/RINO lines, as cultural debates typically do? If you’re a squish, you’re horrified by it. If you’re a righty, meh. Cycle of life. He got a better end than 99 percent of giraffes in the wild do.

They “euthanized” him by dangling some rye bread in front of him to lure him over, then fired a round from a bolt-action rifle into his brain when he bent down to taste it. If they had given him a lethal injection, they said, they wouldn’t have been able to use the meat. And they would never waste that much free meat.

The zoo said it had no choice but to euthanize the 2-year-old giraffe because Marius was part of an international breeding program whose bylaws prohibit inbreeding in an effort to maintain the health of the stock.

“The purpose of the breeding program is to have as healthy a population as possible, not only now, but in the future,” said the zoo’s scientific director, Bengt Holst, in an interview with TIME. “As this giraffe’s genes are overrepresented in the breeding program, the European Breeding Programme for Giraffes has agreed that Copenhagen Zoo euthanize him.”…

Did Marius have to die? Other alternatives, like administering contraceptives, can cause side effects like renal failure. And neutering the young giraffe would have diminished his quality of life, says Holst. “Our most important objective is to ensure that the animals have the best life they can for as long as they live, whether that’s 20 years or two years. Breeding and parenting are especially important behaviors for a giraffe’s well-being. We didn’t want to interfere with that.”

Two zoos offered to take him but were turned down for reasons that aren’t completely clear. One, in Sweden, wouldn’t guarantee that they wouldn’t sell him to a circus; the other, in Yorkshire, was denied because it too had a population of giraffes genetically similar to Marius, according to Time mag. This quote, though, makes it sound like there was a turf-war aspect to it:

However, Lesley Dickie, Executive Director of European Association of Zoos and Aquaria (EAZA), said this was not a viable option. “As for alternative solutions, we cannot in good conscience recommend the transfer of animals under our protection to zoos which are not our members and therefore not subject to our strict standards of animal husbandry and welfare; transfer within our network does not represent a solution to the unsuitability of the individual animal for breeding.

The Yorkshire facility says it has a state-of-the-art giraffe house built just two years ago for its four male giraffes, one of whom came from the same Copenhagen zoo as Marius. If Yorkshire was good enough for the earlier transfer and if, because of the all-male population, breeding wasn’t an issue there, why wasn’t Marius sent over?

Better question: Why the international uproar, which now includes death threats towards the Copenhagen staff? What’s bothering people more than the fact of euthanizing a healthy animal, I think, is how they handled it. We all understand that zoos have a scientific purpose. We understand that populations are culled sometimes even in captivity. What we don’t instinctively understand is how zookeepers, who are caregivers to these animals, could compartmentalize their emotions for them to the point where they could take a healthy giraffe they’ve raised since birth and summarily kill it, display the corpse, then hack it up in front of a crowd when they had options that involved sparing him. The detail about luring him over with the bread before blowing him away haunts me especially. These things aren’t pets, but they’re not unlike pets in the degree to which they depend on their handlers to survive. It’s a betrayal of trust. Even if the culling was necessary, which is debatable, is there no residue of affection for these animals among the staff sufficient to get them to do this privately, in a less violent way? They can’t have needed the giraffe meat that badly. (In fact, they had an offer of several hundred thousand dollars to let the giraffe live.) And it isn’t so important to teach kids the “cycle of life” that they’d send a giraffe alive into the lion’s den to show everyone what happens. If we’re going to snatch animals from the wild for our own amusement, there has to be a better plan for handling the expendables.

Exit question: How much of an uproar would there have been if Marius had belonged to a more aggressive, less cuddly species? Probably no death threats if he was Marius the alligator, I assume.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 5

Because that giraffe would kill you and everybody you love, given the chance…

JohnGalt23 on February 10, 2014 at 7:22 PM

Because they are idiots who never heard you could neuter an animal just as easily.

melle1228 on February 10, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Sick.

dpduq on February 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Didn’t Europe learn of the dangers of this type of thinking back around 1939-1945?

Newtie and the Beauty on February 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

This is how a bureaucrat earns his wings, or the right to sit on death panels. And let’s face it, bureaucrats hate anyone who sticks their neck out.

Flange on February 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

They can’t have needed the giraffe meat that badly.

So what animals did need to die to feed the other animals?

Don’t get me wrong it seems odd for a zoo to handle this in this manner….but meat gets fed every day in zoos.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Aint nobody killing no giraffes named Cody or Jacob.

Rachel Jeantel on February 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Because the EU is a fascist organization. Period.

Schadenfreude on February 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Because they’re evil effing heartless bastards?

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM

I can’t wait for the leftist thugs to defend this.

Schadenfreude on February 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Never had giraffe meat, I wonder if they would send some over.

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM

But if he was Marius the Delta smelt there’d be hell to pay.

Spliff Menendez on February 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM

Btw: I would be just as outraged if it had been ‘Marius the alligator’. I actually prefer more aggressive animals.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

I think the idea that a bullet in the brain is better than castration … because of quality of life?

The broken trust aspect … I agree with that … WTF?

Overall, yeah, I’m kind of meh about it … circle of life.

But the whole thought process of the zoo keepers … that’s what gets me.

Ranks up there with the whole “have to burn the village to save it” mentality.

Grinch on February 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Why’d they kill that giraffe?

The lions were hungry.

davidk on February 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Because it wasn’t some extinct little gnat.

Schadenfreude on February 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Imagine if Sarah Palin would have shot it.

Schadenfreude on February 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Because they’re evil effing heartless bastards?

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:29 PM

Does that include the animals that ate the meat?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM

NO – only leftist thugs are ALWAYS hypocrites.

Schadenfreude on February 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

If it was Marius the groundhog?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Certainly, not a squish!!! But I would like to do the same to the people that made this decision. They could have done the same thing that I do to my cats/dogs.

The S.O.B.’s.

What monkey-brain made this decision?

>>>>>>>same kind of monkey-brain: http://act.wildhorsepreservation.org/p/dia/action3/common/public/?action_KEY=16502

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM

Finally someone agrees that neutering reduces quality of life.

El_Terrible on February 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Seems like something of a pointless waste. They have lots of meat and giraffes acclimatized to a zoo environment are I would think rare.

They killed the animal over idiotic bureaucratic rules despite better avenues being available.

sharrukin on February 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

melle1228 on February 10, 2014 at 7:25 PM

When a vast majority of an animal’s behavior is initiated by the stomach or the testes/ovaries it is inhumane to just lop em off.

Spliff Menendez on February 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Meh. How is this different than making beef?
Though, maybe they should have auctioned off the meat to raise funds for the zoo instead of throwing it to the cats.

Count to 10 on February 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

They could have done the same thing that I do to my cats

Load a shell, stick the cat on a thrower and yell “Pull!” like I do?

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM

It’s supposed to be in the 60-70′s here from Thursday until…
Groundhog’s haven’t done anything to me.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:35 PM

What they did was stupid at best and criminal at worst.

Death is preferable to contraceptives that lead to renal failure that lead to… Death?

THIS is socialized medicine and maybe that’s really what this demonstration was all about.

All hail your superiors..

Skywise on February 10, 2014 at 7:35 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014

I was shoveling snow yesterday and I saw a robin on top of the snow pile next to the driveway. I tossed a little snow his way and he did not move. He’s still there today. I think he might be dead.
What should I do before I toss him in the trash bin?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:35 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:33 PM

In the woods, no, but in my garden…

Newtie and the Beauty on February 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Even better question: Where’s the uproar about keeping large, wild animals in small enclosures for our amusement to begin with?

JetBoy on February 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Spliff Menendez on February 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

So it is more humane to kill than neuter?

melle1228 on February 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Cull all the Copenhagen zoo administrators and keepers…..modus operandi…I bet there is more…shut ‘em down and put the animals back where they belong.

I was hoping this wouldn’t show up as a thread it’s so upsetting.

gracie on February 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Never had giraffe meat, I wonder if they would send some over.

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:30 PM

I heard it’s pretty good with a little Texas Pete on it.

TarheelBen on February 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Sorry, but in the age of millions upon millions of abortions this is not the fight to expend too much energy…. in fact much of the outrage over this about makes me ill.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM

So … better to have no life at all rather than a possible non-utopian one?

Yep, Leftism in a nutshell …

ShainS on February 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM

JetBoy on February 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

IDK, I prefer keeping large wild men in small enclosures, but that is just me. :)

melle1228 on February 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM

It’s supposed to be in the 60-70′s here from Thursday until…
Groundhog’s haven’t done anything to me.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:35 PM

Well lah-dee-dah with your sunshine and warm weather, twerpster ;)

JetBoy on February 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Meanwhile, Muslims are doing this sort of thing to non-Muslim HUMANS every day, yet you hear nothing from these two-faced sanctimonious dopes. Screw em all.

WhatSlushfund on February 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

What’s your address?
I will freeze him , put him in dry ice, and send him your way.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM

JetBoy on February 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Jetboy? You sure you wouldn’t be more happy amongst the democrats?

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM

There is an obamacare a metaphor here. They offer to care for you and feed you, luring you on with treats until they don’t need you anymore. Then, blammo; and it’s “for your own good”

Ealye79 on February 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM

JetBoy on February 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

Marius had a beautiful life walking in circles and being gawked at by humans.

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM

JetBoy on February 10, 2014 at 7:36 PM

You got something against pets?

Newtie and the Beauty on February 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM

It’s supposed to be in the 60-70′s here from Thursday until…
Groundhog’s haven’t done anything to me.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:35 PM

That wasn’t the question.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.
I’m against abortion except to save the life-LIFE-of the mother.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:40 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM

My, aren’t you pissy this eve.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Does that include the animals that ate the meat?

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:32 PM

Wild animals do a lot of things that I don’t advise humans to do.

Kill babies of your kind so you can breed with it’s mother,etc.
We’re supposed to be above animals in behavior/thoughts/actions.

Otherwise, we wouldn’t start sanctuaries to save endangered species and such.

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Liberals shouldn’t (and many can’t/won’t) pass on their genes….so……………

WryTrvllr on February 10, 2014 at 7:42 PM

ALT- I know you are but you can bet that 80% of those being all angry about this are pro abortion.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:42 PM

I’m hard right and I’m offended. Why didn’t they sterilize the animal (or did I miss that?) if breeding was an issue? If it’s good enough for Fido, then why not this animal?

No, as AP said, turf war or some kind of ego issue/lazy bureaucracy.

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Load a shell, stick the cat on a thrower and yell “Pull!” like I do?

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

Better be not within my gun range, you pervert..

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM

WhatSlushfund on February 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM

So because I’m outraged about the killing of an animal, I also can’t be pro-life and think that islam is evil?
Bullsh*t!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM

In other news, top restaurants in Copenhagen are now offering giraffe Ribeyes, Strips, Tenderloins and T-Bones for a limited time. Come in quickly while selection is best!

Now THERE’D be some death threats…

Marcola on February 10, 2014 at 7:44 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Of course.. In this country there are certain turtle eggs that you can face jail time and fines for destroying, but destroy a human baby, and you are braaaaaave..

melle1228 on February 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM

They could have done the same thing that I do to my cats

Load a shell, stick the cat on a thrower and yell “Pull!” like I do?

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

I like your disciplining methodology.

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM

Obama’s fault. He has a pen, he has a phone. Why didn’t he use them?

El_Terrible on February 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I am sure they could have spayed/neutered the thing and sold it for money to help their genetics program.

Glad to hear they’re not wasting the meat. (wow, there are Europeans willing to eat giraffe?)

WryTrvllr on February 10, 2014 at 7:45 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Don’t quit your day job. You’d fail at mindreading.

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 7:47 PM

So … better to have no life at all rather than a possible non-utopian one?

Yep, Leftism in a nutshell …

ShainS on February 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Ooooooo. That sounds suspiciously like a liberal’s rationale for abortion.

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 7:47 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

Sorry, believe me, I’m “trying” to muster some outrage over this. Maybe if I hold my breath . . .

TarheelBen on February 10, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Get back to me when we stop killing over 10 million unborn babies every year.

NotCoach on February 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM

They had to kill the giraffe to save it.

Socratease on February 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM

You got something against pets?

Newtie and the Beauty on February 10, 2014 at 7:39 PM

Not at all…I have 3 cats, a dog, and an aquarium of fish. That’s a bit different than a giraffe, and elephant, and a killer whale.

JetBoy on February 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Don’t quit your day job. You’d fail at mindreading.

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Prove it.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Get back to me when we stop killing over 10 million unborn babies every year.

NotCoach on February 10, 2014 at 7:48 PM

To me they are both reprehensible. I’ve just got through arguing with the rabid retard libs on our local newspaper on this issue of abortion.
And, I still don’t like what happened to this giraffe that could have been neutered, not murdered, skinned, cut up and fed to the lions….. in front of children.

Same ghoulish mindset, IMHO.

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM

ALT you’re one of my favorite people here …but I do like tweaking you on this subject. Sorry.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM

WhatSlushfund on February 10, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Bullsh*t!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:43 PM

Of course that’s not what I mean. If you are a Hot Airian (and I am familiar with your posts), then obviously you are not a hypocrite in your convictions. What I’m talking about is, where are all these other animal lovers when it comes to Muslims relentlessly slaughtering humans? Nowhere. Liberals are hypocrites. That’s my point.

WhatSlushfund on February 10, 2014 at 7:50 PM

So if this giraffe has the wrong genes for their program, why the heck did they breed it’s mother in the first place?

BeachBum on February 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM

So this is not the hill to die on?

/Hey. it has to actually be true sooner or later…

There Goes the Neighborhood on February 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM

What the heck is in the water of the HotAir fountain tonight? Is it just me, or does it seem more weird than usual? I think one of the noobs spiked the punch with something :P

JetBoy on February 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM

If only the Left would get so enraged over killing babies in the womb, which, by the way, is certainly more horrific for the babies than it was for the giraffe.

SouthernGent on February 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Ok sometimes I yell “Hup!” rather than “pull” but same effect in the end.

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM

why did they want to kill him in the first place? something about him having the wrong genes or something…? i don’t even get it. it seems so pointless. who cares if he had “overrepresented” genes, was that worth killing him? i really don’t think so. especially when others were willing to take him in and take care of him. (plus, he’s so adorable… *sob*)

and i don’t think they should have let children watch all that. i don’t know why that was necessary, unless they are trying to scar the children for life.

Sachiko on February 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM

melle1228 on February 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM

OK, NOW I’m outraged!

TarheelBen on February 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM

JetBoy on February 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM

It’s the contact high we get from all the new lib’s stupidity.

melle1228 on February 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM

So this is not the hill to die on?

There Goes the Neighborhood on February 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Not even close.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:54 PM

Sachiko on February 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM

I think they just got hungry.

TarheelBen on February 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Ok sometimes I yell “Hup!” rather than “pull” but same effect in the end.

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM

You’re disgusting.

I take back my former warm feelings I had about you.

And,

SouthernGent on February 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM

, it really is possible to PO’d over both. Compassion is compassion. I’d even stop to help Bishop if I saw he had a flat tire……..

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Welcome to Margaret Sanger’s Wild Kingdom.

DarthBrooks on February 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM

melle1228 on February 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM

OK, NOW I’m outraged!

TarheelBen on February 10, 2014 at 7:53 PM

:) The mental image was really funny in my head.

melle1228 on February 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Alright, that’s going off the deep end there. You’re making me cry.

WryTrvllr on February 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Next time some progressive mentions endangered species to me…I’ll mention this giraffe culling to them.

workingclass artist on February 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM

As if my tires would have the temerity to go flat.

Rest easy though, I’ve been known to miss and we launch them over the lake so a water landing is possible.

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

JetBoy on February 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM

More comments, more active threads than usual. In addition to new trolls, there’s lots of new good contributors as well.

TarheelBen on February 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

BeachBum on February 10, 2014 at 7:51 PM

Good question, BB.

Good question.

Natural born killers don’t usually have much to fill their brain cavities, I don’t think.

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Ok sometimes I yell “Hup!” rather than “pull” but same effect in the end.

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM

So is it true that cats always land on their feet?

WryTrvllr on February 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM

I have to assume you’re a vegan.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM

So is it true that cats always land on their feet?

WryTrvllr on February 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Sometimes it’s only the feet which are left to land, depends on the size of shot.

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I have to assume you’re a vegan.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:59 PM

YOu’d assume correctly.

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 8:00 PM

So … better to have no life at all rather than a possible non-utopian one?

Yep, Leftism in a nutshell …

ShainS on February 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM

Yup. Just a late term abortion. Whats the problem?

Mimzey on February 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM

this is seriously making me sad… i’m not even laughing at this story or rolling my eyes or moving on. i’m actually sad about this. it’s just a really creepy story. marius’ killers seem to have no emotion at all.

such a cute and innocent creature killed for no reason. wtf.

Sachiko on February 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM

As for alternative solutions, we cannot in good conscience recommend the transfer of animals under our protection to zoos which are not our members and therefore not subject to our strict standards of animal husbandry and welfare; transfer within our network does not represent a solution to the unsuitability of the individual animal for breeding…

Translation: We are too cheap to pay the train fare to ship the giraffe out to another Zoo…So we killed him as an excellent education show for the børn

workingclass artist on February 10, 2014 at 8:02 PM

Does it count, if say, only a piece of tail comes off?

WryTrvllr on February 10, 2014 at 8:03 PM

OT: O’Reilly is STILL talking about his interview with Obama. Geez, Billo, move on – it’s been over a week.

TarheelBen on February 10, 2014 at 8:03 PM

Did avagreen just get hooked by Bishop … or did I get hooked by avagreen?

ShainS on February 10, 2014 at 8:04 PM

Do you spray paint some orange on them? I am working this out in my head here.

WryTrvllr on February 10, 2014 at 8:04 PM

I have no problem with the culling or the method of culling. But doing it in public was downright idiotic. Anybody with at least 2 brain cells to rub together would know it would be a PR debacle.

Splashman on February 10, 2014 at 8:04 PM

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM

As if my tires would have the temerity to go flat.

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:57 PM

OK, so I won’t stop to help you. Find an fellow animal killer to do that. I pass (literally). See ya in my rear view.

avagreen on February 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM