“Walking Dead” grumble thread: The kids are alright

posted at 8:01 pm on February 10, 2014 by Allahpundit

There’s a different “Who” song whose lyrics would make for a better headline but AmSpec got to it first.

I’ve been begging forever for TWD storylines that steer towards individual characters and away from the tedious group dynamic. Now they’re giving it to us (the Governor’s story arc last fall was strong) and suddenly a terrible possibility presents itself: We might end up having to sit through even more badly acted teen-angst soliloquies from Carl. The scene where he told off his (unconscious) pop last night should have been cathartic; instead all I could think of was Peter Brady signing “Time To Change.” Even the tease about Rick turning zombie and Carl shooting him in the face was hollow. Did anyone think, for even a moment, that this show would dispatch dead-weight Papa Grimes? He’s the show’s ego and superego. (Shane was the id.) You’re more likely to see Tom Cruise get killed in a Tom Cruise movie than you are to see “The Walking Dead” without Rick.

I did like the little vignette of Carl sitting on the rooftop eating pudding a few feet from a growling zombie, though. That was a poetic moment in a normally plodding show about what small-town childhood memories would be like growing up during the zombie apocalypse.

And you can never have too much Zombie Hershel Head.

Now, explain something to me. Why don’t the zombies attack Michonne when she’s got her zombie pets on a leash? I know there was something in one of the earlier seasons about masking your scent with the smell of rotting flesh in order to walk freely among the zombies. Rick and Glenn covered themselves with viscera from a corpse and were able to mingle in a zombie crowd before one of them made a noise and they were found out. But Michonne doesn’t do that; all she does is walk six feet ahead of, or behind, a pair of zombies. If that’s enough to mask her smell, why does she need zombies on a leash at all? She could walk into a crowd of them and the smell of decay from the entire group would, presumably, be strong enough to cover her scent.

In lieu of an exit question, a promise: If we get a story arc about Carl going through puberty, replete with Rick having to explain Things and Stuff about the birds and the bees, I’m done.

Comments

Just. Stop. Watching. It.

ThePrez on February 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM

BISHOP! Score one for the Newbs!

Doc Holliday on February 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM

To many “Walking Dead” amongst us….

And they have Obama/Biden stickers on their hind sides…

Electrongod on February 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Crap–why is Hot Air telling me to slow down my post? Im slow anyway and you clowns cost me a Bishop!

Doc Holliday on February 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Last night I was a volunteer at a Christian rock concert-and one of the ladies who visited the booth that I was working…was wearing a ‘No walkers’ shirt!
*bangs head on desk*

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM

BISHOP! Score one for the Newbs!

Doc Holliday on February 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Ok…when it happens…:)

Electrongod on February 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Doc Holliday on February 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Only newbies have been throttled….

Just joking…

[wow...I have been slowed down too]…what gives…

Electrongod on February 10, 2014 at 8:08 PM

To many “Walking Dead” amongst us….

And they have Obama/Biden stickers on their hind sides…

Electrongod on February 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM

That is the absolute truth–it’s really interesting to see them start to wake up when the effects of the Presidents policies begin to hit them in the wallet–it’s the expression one gets when one realizes “Ive been HAD!”

Doc Holliday on February 10, 2014 at 8:09 PM

Bad writing needs no explanation.

Lost in Jersey on February 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM

Here’s what’s irking me off about the TWD. AMC keeps playing reruns of the f’in show and has them available on Demand; yet, I have been unable to watch the last eight episodes of Breaking Bad. I couldn’t TIVO the last epsodes when it played again, and no one plays them or has them available.

Hey AMC, ditch TWD and play BB over again–that’s right, bitch!

Thomas More on February 10, 2014 at 8:20 PM

I’ve been begging forever for TWD story lines that blah blah blah…

Do we need an intervention? Stop this. Just… stop. When you start a sentence that way it’s officially time to clean out your savings account and go buy a life.

V7_Sport on February 10, 2014 at 8:21 PM

*Angels Siiing*

Since I can not finally comment after years of waiting, Michonne can’t just walk into a pack of zombies because they’ll notice her doing so. The point of the zombies on the leash is after a while with them her scent starts getting masked and also, they probably serve as a means to get close to a group without them getting wise (e.g. being up/down wind to a deer…for example). But once in the middle of the group, if she makes too much sound and attracts too much attention, the jig is up.

I guess she just makes it look easy, right? ;)

Also, I’m rooting for the zombies in getting Carl at this point.

Starnick on February 10, 2014 at 8:23 PM

I was wondering the same thing Allah.

They give her street creds?

I think the comic book answer is that because she has “neutered” the zombies by stripping them of arms to be able to grab her, and lower jaws so they can’t chomp her, they just leave her alone and allow her to get close enough to them so that in a crowd of zombies she can fly under the radar.

This theory kind of failed several times last night in her walk through the forest because she was ahead of them, and then behind them, and while behind them her look alike zombie saddled up next to her and should have “seen” her. Her look alike was a LOT closer to her and should have noticed her…

SauerKraut537 on February 10, 2014 at 8:26 PM

Michonne’s trick is that the toothless zombies on a leash treat her as Not Food, so the others do as well.

The underlying premise is that the zombie herd mentality trumps reason. And guess what? That sorta makes sense.

Nessuno on February 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Comic Carl is a bad ass. TV Carl is awkward

gxbhkt on February 10, 2014 at 8:30 PM

Michonne explained that already. You take away their ability to eat, they lose the desire. Like taking Ratso’s balls.

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Oh, you mean the other zombies. She explained that too. I forgot, but it’s prolly related to Azimov’s Robotic Theory.

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 8:35 PM

I’m doomed. I had never watched the series (Zombies? Gimme a break!).But, when I saw that AMC was having the ‘Marathon”, and since I had a bad cold that made me want to sit in front of the tube and drool, I decided to give it a chance – 12 hours later… I’m with you, Allah. Whut’s up with a woman being able to LEAD a couple of androgenous z’s on an ambling, friendly group-walk,when the guys have to spread themselves with Z-goo in order to angst their way to a semblance of safety? Michonne was only ‘outed’ when she decided to separate her soul sister from her ambulation. Has feminism gone PC Zombie? I’ll probably continue to watch (at least ’til the ‘kid’ decides Rick is superfluous to his ‘bein’ all he can be’). Yeah, when Carl hits puberty and falls in love with a Z that looks like his mom, I’m outta there…

vnvet on February 10, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Because hacked-up, leash zombies is a kewl visual.

Otherwise, I think the logic goes…

Once a living person comes near the outer ring of a herd, those zombies pick up their “alive” scent.

So Living people never get close enough to blend into the mix.
If they could get into the middle of the pack, then it’s possible.

Unless, as what’s happened with Michonne, one moves close enough to distinguish the scent, or if she physically acts in a attention-grabbing way.

That’s how Tyreese made it out of the mega herd. He was surrounded by the crowd and covered in just enough splatter, that he didn’t register. So he could walk up behind and whack ‘em with his pick.

Yeah, it doesn’t hold steady, but then we’re talking about bacteria from the Black Plague jumping to human mutation. In that context, they’re reanimated hosts who are near-death.

budfox on February 10, 2014 at 8:36 PM

budfox on February 10, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Glenn and Rick smeared walker juice on themselves in Atlanta.

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 8:41 PM

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 8:33 PM

Thanks! My wife and I couldn’t figure it out either. Must have just missed or forgotten.

We also seemed to have missed that Michone’s “lover” and friend committed suicide, per the dream sequence revelation.

WitchDoctor on February 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Why is no one talking about the INCREDIBLE dream scene with Michone, or the awesome imagery with the walker that resembled her?

blatantblue on February 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM

Everything goes better with pudding.

cozmo on February 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I am getting sick of Carl’s attitude. Mark McCain would never have run his mouth to Lucas like that.

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 8:44 PM

Art imitating life of LIV..?

Mydamndogs on February 10, 2014 at 8:45 PM

WitchDoctor on February 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM

I gather they killed the child as well, which would explain her anger and having them as her “pets”.

I liked the episode. They could have continued on with Psycho Carl, but stepped it back into a bonding episode for a father and son. I wonder if they will do the same for the blonde girl as Carol has to come back sometime. Or maybe the girl is already too far gone.

They have to give a reason for people to keep going once in a while. Hope and family bonds is as good a reason as any.

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 8:48 PM

Why do the zombies continue to eat when they can’t digest anything and why doesn’t all that undigested meat not just explode from their mouths like a backed up toilet in Sochi?

The Walking Dead Rules!

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Sherman1864 on February 10, 2014 at 8:50 PM

Think the green slimy thing from Ghostbusters.

cozmo on February 10, 2014 at 8:53 PM

If the Governor somehow isn’t dead, I’m outta here. I don’t wanna storyline that the bullet missed the brain and some unsuspecting broad somehow comes across him bleeding and nurses him back to health.

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM

SPOILER… just in case….

They show him clearly at the beginning of the ep with a hole in his head courtesy of Lily. He isn’t coming back.

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 8:55 PM

I know a lot of other people have pointed this out, but if you hate the show so much, why, oh why, do you keep watching it???

rexbatt on February 10, 2014 at 8:57 PM

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 8:55 PM

Why is he credited in last night’s episode? You see his ‘dead’ head for 3 seconds and that’s it. I don’t trust these clowns since Darabont left. They will flat out wreck this show.

And I want an explanation as to how this whole thing started before it’s over.

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM

And I want an explanation as to how this whole thing started before it’s over.

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 8:59 PM

Actor’s union? Maybe he’ll be listed all year even though we won’t see him.

I dunno.

As for the explanation, apparently in the comics it has never been explained and Kirkman who owns Walking Dead has stated that he never will. That is subject to change, of course, but at this point in time you won’t get one.

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 9:02 PM

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 9:02 PM

The show has to end sometime. I don’t expect new shows to end with no closure like Lost in Space.

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 9:06 PM

Yeah, Kirkman might lose that argument. I guess we’ll have to wait or keep watching. ;)

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 9:09 PM

blatantblue on February 10, 2014 at 8:43 PM

I think I knew that the pets she led during her first appearance were her brother and boyfriend. To me, it showed the same level of mental issues that the Governor showed in keeping his daughter chained in the closet.
As for the walker that resembled her, I think that was her imagination and also the breaking point when she realized that she was crazy.

awc on February 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Shark jumped.

Frankly even the Governor story line rang hollow when it reached the gladiator episode.

I’m stopping now, and will go back to reading or something for a while … and my current guilty pleasure, Once Upon a Time.

Let the arrows fly!

doufree on February 10, 2014 at 9:10 PM

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Heh. Watch it end with Bob Newhart or Victoria Principal waking up from a dream.

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 9:12 PM

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 9:12 PM

If it ends with how clever and cool the second Newhart series ended, then that would be okay with me. ;)

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 9:18 PM

Currently watching last night’s Talking Dead. The actress who plays Michonne was on. The original pets (armless zombies) when she saved Andrea were her boyfriend and brother/friend from the dream sequence.

As far as her twin walker, she said that Michonne was feeling dead inside, then saw her twin and realized that she did not want to be dead, and went on the zombie slaughter.

Talking Dead is actually better than Walking Dead. The commentary is great.

ConservativeMom on February 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM

ConservativeMom on February 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM

One inferred that when Andrea asked her “Did you know them?” and Michonne gave her that look whilst eating beans over the campfire.

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 9:25 PM

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 8:54 PM

I predicted at the end of last season the Governor wasn’t dead. Still not 100% convinced yet. For example, how come Herschel was a Walker[or should I say roller] when Mishone got to him, but the Governor had not turned yet? The Governor was supposedly killed only a few minutes later.

As for the show, not my favorite last night. Kind of boring and predictable. Didn’t buy any of the near misses.

Final question, do they have any lakes in Georgia. Cause a fishin pole sure would be my number one priority in their situation. Teach a man to fish yada yada yada.

KMav on February 10, 2014 at 9:26 PM

Jennings at the CDC explained that. they can turn in a few minutes all the way up to 8 hours and 3 minutes, or some number like that according to his observations.

Andrea’s sister lasted ‘dead’ through the night and into the day whereas Merle lasted [probably] less than an hour.

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 9:30 PM

Has anyone not seen the underlying conflict coming when Rick and Michonne hook up in a post apocalypse world and have to fight through their slave / master concepts brought on by their deep Southern heritage – you know? Thomas Jefferson and Sally Hemings?

/s

Ruckus_Tom on February 10, 2014 at 9:33 PM

The governor had a bullet to the head keeping him from turning.

xblade on February 10, 2014 at 9:38 PM

The governor had a bullet to the head keeping him from turning.

xblade on February 10, 2014 at 9:38 PM

Ah! Good point!

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 9:39 PM

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 9:39 PM

xblade on February 10, 2014 at 9:38 PM

So my brilliant point had two obvious explanations. Hehe.

KMav on February 10, 2014 at 9:43 PM

So my brilliant point had two obvious explanations. Hehe.

KMav on February 10, 2014 at 9:43 PM

Well, I’m still thinking these a$$holes will bring him back in the way I described. The bullet ‘rode’ the skull and came out the back. Michonne couldn’t have cut his head totally off when she came back to put Herschel out of his ‘misery’?

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 9:46 PM

Ruckus_Tom on February 10, 2014 at 9:33 PM

You just know a lefty east coast type university will offer a class on that if not a degree.

cozmo on February 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM

My strategy. Find a mountain mansion on a lake. Go to a fencing business and load up all their fence in a truck. Build nicer prison fencing around my mountain lake house.

I figure the lake would be my food source as well as my back wall barrier. Plus an escape route. You can always jump in the lake to flee. Plus some rest and relax time fishin in my boat. The point of the mountain is to be out of site, plus the walkers will not likely climb a mountain. Path of least resistance.

Also would build a leather arm band for my left arm in particular. Let them bite it if I had too, like a dog might bite you. Then stick them in the head while they have your arm.

KMav on February 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Allah- you missed the best part of this episode. Yes the back story with Michonne was ridiculous, to think that she was a dotting house wife in flip flops commenting on performance art and then found her inner samuri when the apocalypse hit is a little much. As Hilary rosen would say, she looked like she never worked a day in her life then bam…But the part when she was walking and saw zombie Michonne following her was really original, first time they went that route, and it was very effective. She was alive, but dead…

dgeis on February 10, 2014 at 9:56 PM

AP. You hit the nail on the head about Michonne. I’ll do you one better!
One of the problems with genre shows like this is the inability of the writer to stay within their own mythology. Following their own rules THEY create in every episode and applying them later. To fail to do so make the writer look incompetent and the characters stupid.
Star Trek has a serious problem with this.
With the TWD. If Michonne can cut off some arms and jaws of zombies and walk around freely with them, why didn’t they take this “rule” and do the same thing when scavenging the hospital for antibiotics or driving around looking for supplies? Why not just wrap these mutilated zombies around the whole prison and be done with random attacking zombies. The whole idea that this is even possible by Michonne is stupid. But hey, they made it up. Now apply it intelligently.

Avatar72 on February 10, 2014 at 10:04 PM

The superego was Hershel and they dispatched him.

Alana on February 10, 2014 at 10:08 PM

The walkers pets are about keeping calm. The arm less jaw less walkers blend in to keep the other walkers calm. As long as one is calm you can walk by walkers but as soon as one becomes interested about you, you show them the pet walker and they lose interest. A jaw less arm less walker is as calm as they come.

They alarm to when there is a herd attack or agitation in the herd that will cause them to attack anything that alive and makes noise. Walkers are like piranhas. You can swim with them as long as it is calm and nothing to get them agitated. All it takes is one to take a bite and the mob attack the same thing they did not bother a minute ago.

I would like to know how long they will herd and attack the tank and prison when there is nothing there. There is something that is drawing the walkers somewhere, lets hope that becomes a story line other than just random walking. They walk with a purpose and will naturally form herds of walkers that all walk the same way somewhere.

It was better to do just the 3 people and drag it out over 4 or more episodes before they find out who is still alive. All 8 episodes might be them lost and only next season do they get back together.

tjexcite on February 10, 2014 at 10:11 PM

I am a Christian who watches the show. I mentioned it the other day to someone and they kind of gave me grief about it.

I also saw this in a post up thread by annoyinglittletwerp.

Can somebody explain to me why, as a Christian, I should not be watching this show?

I see lessons if Christianity in the show. Herschel was a very good, religious man whom I found great. In an end times scenario, he lived his religion faithfully.

portlandon on February 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM

Lanceman on February 10, 2014 at 9:46 PM

He got stabbed through the chest, then shot in the head. He’s not coming back.

There are a bunch of other comic series villains they can introduce like The Hunters and Negan & The Saviors. No need to bring the Governor back.

And David Morrissey will probably be credited through all of Season 4. They credit the stars by season, not by episode. So Sarah Wayne Callies and Michael Rooker were credited through all of Season 3 even thought their characters died before the season was over.

PetecminMd on February 10, 2014 at 10:18 PM

Nessuno on February 10, 2014 at 8:27 PM

Like democRATS.

Solaratov on February 10, 2014 at 10:24 PM

Ty could use Judith as leverage over Rick once Carol returns, unless the psycho girl he’s presently stuck with gets to the baby first.

derit on February 10, 2014 at 10:28 PM

I would much rather read AllahP’s angst over the walking dead than just about ANYTHING Jazz Shaw posts. (I don’t click his stuff anymore, weekends are almost a total loss here).

Anyway, I LIKE TWD. I didn’t at first, but it kind of….infected me.

I was hoping to see Carl put one in his daddy’s face though, but no, we’re stuck with Rick.

My take on Carl is that the writers have been doing their level best to display puberty at it’s finest in the throes of oppositional defiance. Daddy says do this, so naturally you do the complete opposite. Carl suddenly notices in a crowd of zombies that as much of a schlub dad is, he’s right about all this walker stuff. Besides, he doesn’t want to be alone.

But he wont be alone if Rick kicks it now that Michonne is there again. Maybe now Rick will bite the big one. OR Rick grows a pair. Either way…..

Diluculo on February 10, 2014 at 10:47 PM

I also saw this in a post up thread by annoyinglittletwerp.

portlandon on February 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM

There’s no reason you shouldn’t be watching this show. It’s like saying you shouldn’t watch the news because murders are reported or follow politics because it’s dominated by liars. The overriding theme of the series is the struggle to retain one’s humanity in a world gone mad. Very relevant.

polly2150 on February 10, 2014 at 10:59 PM

The only part of the show that I couldn’t get behind was the Herschel zombie-head. I know why they did it, I know what the point was. It just seemed needless.

I did get the sads when Carl was trying and failing to kill what he thought was Zombie-Rick. That scene was heartbreaking.

mjk on February 10, 2014 at 11:26 PM

I also saw this in a post up thread by annoyinglittletwerp.

portlandon on February 10, 2014 at 10:12 PM

It’s not only like refusing to watch the news as polly2150 says. But it’s like refusing to read books like Dracula or Frankenstein because they aren’t “Christian” (or even contemporary books like Harry Potter). When one cuts oneself off from the books or movies or, well, anything because these things don’t meet their defined perceptions or opinions, that person has cut themselves off at the knees in understanding the world.

Watch whatever you want. It’s no one’s concern but your own. You will never win trying to reconcile everything you do to other people and their opinions.

mjk on February 10, 2014 at 11:32 PM

The walking dead. The show many of us love to hate. I mean come on – the show makes no sense and is so predictable – and yet I look forward to it – and to picking on it’s flaws after.

How many times can they do the “petulant stupid kid” Carl goes off on his own, taunts or plays with zombies, gets all macho and brave, only to nearly get killed and get his wits totally scared out of him while he’s being stupid number – only to do it yet again, and again, and again?

And they all know about getting trapped in buildings with walkers going horribly wrong – so of course periodically they have to go climbing thru buildings searching for someone into all sorts of risky spots, instead of calling out to them from a safer place.

Then there’s the shooting guns unnecessarily which draws ‘em like flies – but Carl just LOVES that one, and again, never learns.

And they ALL know about Michone’s trick with the leashed walkers helping – but no one else ever uses it.

And you REALLY think that a group like that wouldn’t almost immediately find a secondary and even tertiary rondevue point that everyone had drilled into them to go to if anything ever happened to overrun or destroy the current place they’re in?

It’s so easy to go on and on…

The show is idiotic – and still addictive. :0)

Rational Db8 on February 10, 2014 at 11:51 PM

WitchDoctor on February 10, 2014 at 8:42 PM

Those two guys (seen seated in two different scenarios with Michonne during her dream sequence/s)…were the two zombies (later than what was dreamt in those sequences) that Michonne had originally.

In other words, the two zombies Michonne had roped up last night were “new” zombies roped up.

But, originally, when Michonne was first on the scene (in the Series), she had two earlier zombies roped up with her and THOSE two zombies had been, when alive as she remembered them in her dream/s, the same two guys when alive seated at the tables in her dream sequences.

So Michonne had other incentives to keep her two zombies, originally, roped up and walking with her. She roped-up those two guys she knew and loved, apparently, when they were alive and before the Zombievirus invaded humanity.

But we, audience, still don’t know what became of that child that Michonne dreamed about — likely her own with one of those two guys seated at the two tables in her dream/s.

Lourdes on February 11, 2014 at 12:18 AM

mjk on February 10, 2014 at 11:26 PM

Yes, I share in both those views.

While viewing, though, I was wondering if Rick had expired and would become zombie-fied and then Carl would be compelled to put him down, if so — then the scene with Carl actually considering doing so, guess that answered that question (Carl “can’t do it”). Maybe that’s the last shred of Normal Carl we’ll see…

Lourdes on February 11, 2014 at 12:20 AM

Talking Dead is actually better than Walking Dead. The commentary is great.

ConservativeMom on February 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM

Yes, except last night’s Talking Dead with the actress on it who plays Michonne in the Series — she repeated “metabolized” and “metabolizing” numerous times as a description for character modifications. It was one of those weird-wrongly-used word choices that show someone’s less than up-to-speed. Weird.

Like this: “yes, but then she metabolizes that…” and “if she is going to metabolize that…” and similar as to pscyhological aspects of a person.

Lourdes on February 11, 2014 at 12:28 AM

KMav on February 10, 2014 at 9:53 PM

You’ve got my vote. I would just add one of my daughter’s ideas — surround the outer fence with flat treadmills wired so the walking dead could generate power to my house.

jix on February 11, 2014 at 12:35 AM

Yeah, the Michonne not getting attacked thing makes no sense.

But then again, so does how the zombie plague is transmitted.

And, oh yeah, the zombies would all freeze in most places during the winter…

blue13326 on February 11, 2014 at 2:17 AM

They have to give a reason for people to keep going once in a while. Hope and family bonds chocolate pudding is as good a reason as any.

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 8:48 PM

HellCat on February 11, 2014 at 3:42 AM

Just. Stop. Watching. It.

ThePrez on February 10, 2014 at 8:07 PM

Exactly. If I dislike a show, I do not watch it.
Maybe some people are only happy when they have something to complain about…but we have enough real life stuff to complain about without harping on a TV show that can be turned off.

This is probably the last “grumble thread” I will click on.
I’m sick of AP kvetching.

DRayRaven on February 11, 2014 at 5:50 AM

Please post a grumble thread about Game Of Thrones. I don’t watch the show, but I really want to make an ass of myself by telling everyone else not to watch it.

Thank you in advance. I look forward to constantly refreshing to see the new post and to be the very first person to post on the thread about the show I don’t care about.

John Deaux on February 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM

And, oh yeah, the zombies would all freeze in most places during the winter…

blue13326 on February 11, 2014 at 2:17 AM

They do. That’s why the stories never take place in the winter.

In one episode, Rick and Shane talk about how the walkers won’t be a issue when it get’s colder because they’ll freeze. And in the comic, they talk about how there was no walker activity on Hershel’s farm during the winter, but as it got warmer they were seeing more come in from the surrounding woods/swamp.

PetecminMd on February 11, 2014 at 7:57 AM

blue 13326:

The series is set in Georgia, not Alaska, for a reason.

conservative hispanic on February 11, 2014 at 8:26 AM

I see the second half of the season as character development. Looking forward to seeing the individuals journeys as they come back together as a group.

TWD is wildly popular, so why nit pick it when we have a “president” that deserves more criticism than a TV show.

Farnsworth on February 11, 2014 at 9:07 AM

*cough* Oblivion *cough*

Methos on February 11, 2014 at 9:59 AM

V7_Sport on February 10, 2014 at 8:21 PM

It’s his job, numnuts. He writes about political and pop culture and gets paid for it, too. Why don’t you get a life because I’m sure no one is paying you to post on the internet.

Blake on February 11, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Mrs. Red has wished bad things upon Carl for at least a season now. After last night’s poorly acted whinefest, I may join her very soon.

Still love the show, tho. :)

RedNewEnglander on February 11, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Hildog has prolly said only 2 correct things in her life … Ohhhh Huma …and TWD requires the willing suspension of disbelief ..ifthe tissue is reanimate as per chomping Herschel heads and the like .. then destroying someone’s brain shouldn’t have an effect on the rest of the body .. and eating shouldn’t come into play .. thats biological imperative indicating brain function .. as far as this Weekend afternoon Chldrens special episode .. I was waiting for the courtship of Eddie’s father to say “Thats all right Eddie, we all experience angst at times in this zombie apocalypse” and the scene with Mildred Michonne Pierce made absolutely no sense, brought nothing to the story arc and was a little artsyfartsy for a zombie driven reality show, which several commenters have so adroitly pointed out is ongoing in our daily lives forthe past 20-30 years now .. shutting up now ..tank you very much!

GKChesterton99 on February 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM

I’m assuming that this is a TV show.

Mason on February 11, 2014 at 12:23 PM

V7_Sport on February 10, 2014 at 8:21 PM

Blake on February 11, 2014 at 10:04 AM

I’m just worried about the fellow, “Blake”. Seeing as this is a glorified puppet show for porno addicted shut-ins and ladies with 30 cats who live in apartments that smell like windex, I worry that every episode he watches shaves a point or 2 off his IQ. I’m even working on an intervention script which will help AP to concentrate on delivering that RINO outrage goodness.
You are free to watch as much as you want though, “Blake”, feel free to write your walking dead fan fiction and occasionally waddle out of your parents basement to go to the local strip mall to buy their paraphernalia. Anyone who would take what I wrote seriously, “Blake”, is already a cautionary tale

V7_Sport on February 11, 2014 at 3:23 PM

John Deaux on February 11, 2014 at 7:10 AM

Do ever get the sense that AP might post these TWD threads with a bit of tongue-in-cheek? Perhaps even a bit of self-deprecating sarcasm?

DarkCurrent on February 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM

To those who say “Just don’t watch”, for me that’s not an option because I love it, as well as hate it.

When it’s good I think it’s very good, but that doesn’t keep me from being frustrated with it when it’s dumb. Part of the fun is grousing about the frustrations.

Carl and his attitude are driving me bananas, but I admit, having raised 3 teenage boys, that it’s somewhat realistic. I still don’t want to watch too much of it. I had enough raising those three to last a lifetime. Carl acts quite stupidly, but let’s face it, most of us, male and female, are lucky we survived all the stupid stuff we did in our teens.

Annielou on February 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM

GKChesterton99 on February 11, 2014 at 11:13 AM

The brain is still the control center for the zombie body…without it and the nervous system to provide impulses to the muscles, the zombie cannot move. The brain has just been taken over by the disease. Likewise, when you separate the head from the body, the nervous system is still connected to the mouth and it can still chomp if anything comes within range. If it were simply autonomous muscle reanimation independent of brain function, the zombie would have no coordination. It would simply thrash uncontrollably instead of walk.

As for the eating part, there IS some brain function remaining, as evidenced by their ability to walk. Maslow would be proud of zombies, as their need to consume fits nicely with his base level of needs. Not too many self-actualizing zombies out there, are there? And if they didn’t need to eat, how would it be horror? Can you even write a horror story about unlive-and-let-live zombies?

James on February 12, 2014 at 2:37 AM

And yet, when they give me exactly what I want, I just cry about it some more.

It’s a soap opera set in a zombie theme. Not every child is going to be Asa Butterfield. There are only X hours in a day and so many forms of media available now (TV, video games, internet, blogs, YouTube channels, phone apps, and a lot of these cross-pollinate). If you don’t like the show, take back your hour from Sunday evening and repurpose it to watching Castle or Bones. Once you select that TV hour consciously, I stop feeling bad for you.

Yes, because other zombie shows and movies are deeply rooted in science and realism. Take a piece of advice from John Landis, writer/director of An American Werewolf in London

The Schaef on February 13, 2014 at 10:19 AM

But then again, so does how the zombie plague is transmitted.

blue13326 on February 11, 2014 at 2:17 AM

FWIW, the plague is not “transmitted”. The big reveal in Season 2 was that everyone has it, and so you go zombo regardless of the manner in which you die (elaborated in Season 3 when people in the prison died of influenza and turned).

What’s not clear is how biting causes the high fever and mortal sickness that accelerates the process. Apparently they just give you the worst staph infection ever?

The Schaef on February 13, 2014 at 10:29 AM