Video: NFL prospect comes out as gay

posted at 9:21 am on February 10, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

“I may be the first,” Michael Sam told the New York Times, “but I won’t be the last.” The top-ranked NFL prospect from the University of Missouri became the first athlete to come out as gay before his NFL draft — and will be the first openly-gay athlete in the league once he signs with a team. And that will be inevitable, given his All-American status:

Just how big of a deal is this? It’s long been speculated that a number of athletes in the NFL, NBA, and major-league baseball are gay, but closeted — fearful of public disapproval and harassment by teammates. The Times frames the story in that direction:

But the N.F.L. presents the potential for unusual challenges. In the past year or so, it has been embroiled in controversies ranging from antigay statements from players to reports that scouts asked at least one prospective player if he liked girls. Recently, Chris Kluwe, a punter, said that he was subject to homophobic language from coaches and pushed out of a job with the Minnesota Vikings because he vocally supported same-sex marriage laws. And last week, Jonathan Vilma, a New Orleans Saints linebacker, said in an interview with NFL Network that he did not want a gay teammate.

“I think he would not be accepted as much as we think he would be accepted,” said Mr. Vilma, a 10-year league veteran.

In a statement Sunday night, the league said: “We admire Michael Sam’s honesty and courage. Michael is a football player. Any player with ability and determination can succeed in the N.F.L. We look forward to welcoming and supporting Michael Sam in 2014.”

It’s worth noting that the Vikings vehemently challenge Kluwe’s version of events, too. And even if there is a residual “macho” mindset against gay athletes in the league, it’s not going to last for long. Americans have been rapidly more tolerant of gay and lesbian participants in the arts, in politics, and in other sports, notably women’s professional sports for decades now. For most people, the addition of professional men’s sports to that cultural shift will be a non-story. The NFL is not immune to the forces of the larger culture, after all.

If NFL fans want to get angry over something, how about focusing on how the league, its owners, and yes its players too hold cities for ransom to shake down taxpayers to fund their playgrounds? I’m a lot more concerned with that than with the private decisions made by consenting adults in their companionship off the field.

Update: According to Conn Carroll (and some commenters), Sam is a mid-level prospect:

Duly noted, and I’ve changed the headline. But a senior who’s a first-team All-American coming off a big year is still going to be a significant prospect.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 9 10 11

Dead giraffes and gay football players

John the Libertarian on February 11, 2014 at 12:45 AM

OxyCon on February 11, 2014 at 12:23 AM

I don’t know about that but I hardly think it qualifies as brave these days.

Cindy Munford on February 11, 2014 at 12:45 AM

Someone is gay. Who cares. Someone is not gay. Who cares.

I wont treat him different, or special or discriminatory. I. DON’T. CARE!

THIS. IS. NOT. NEWS!!!

Yakko77 on February 10, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Amen.

My only care, if he is drafted by my team, is whether or not he plays well. Other than that, I couldn’t care less.

Theophile on February 11, 2014 at 12:59 AM

Jason Collins is going to feel so up-staged.

Jeddite on February 11, 2014 at 2:34 AM

cimbri on February 11, 2014 at 2:48 AM

I dedicate this song to all the gay NFL player’s. Enjoy ;)

kregg on February 11, 2014 at 5:18 AM

When my kids started a new high school some 16 years or so ago they came home one day all excited. They couldn’t wait to tell me that ‘there are a lot of gay kids at our school’. To which I replied ‘what are they so happy about’.

Not because I didn’t understand their meaning but rather to emphasize that it doesn’t really matter one way or the other. I told them that if I don’t run up to people reminding them that I am ‘straight’ why am I supposed to be impressed if someone tells me they are gay.

For the 20 something age group the gay rights issue is quite the topic. With 25% of the millenials living at home with their parents, underemployed or unemployed I wish they would have a little more sense of what the issue of the time really should be.
Would only cause an argument with no end but what I would like to say is “Great now that the gay community has accomplished all of its goals do you think maybe they could take on the cause of millenial unemployment?”

Bradky on February 11, 2014 at 5:59 AM

I’m coming out as an openly heterosexual man…

shinty on February 11, 2014 at 7:20 AM

Everyone seems so sure that there are many gay NFL players but that this guy is only the first to admit it. But if nobody else admits it, how do they know there are so many or any others? There might be other gay NFL players but then again there might not be. To claim they exist is pure speculation.

Dollayo on February 11, 2014 at 8:24 AM

Daunte Stallworth responds to conservative idiots: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/10/donte-stallworth-michael-sam_n_4761724.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

libfreeordie on February 11, 2014 at 9:17 AM

libfreeordie on February 11, 2014 at 9:17 AM

Dishonest perfesser never responds to anything:

Here’s a simple question for you. Which of the founding fathers did not subscribe to the communitarian ethos Calhoun deploys to rationalize slavery? *sets sundial*

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

None. They weren’t nascent Commies like John C. Calhoun, and full blown Commies like you. Don’t you think you need to provide some proof for such a ridiculous smear there Mr. Calhoun? You’re a history perfesser, right?

NotCoach on August 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh dear God….hold on, give me 10 minutes.

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

NotCoach on February 11, 2014 at 9:26 AM

If homosexuality isn’t part of the plan then one wonders why us and so many other species of mammals have been intelligently designed with that in them then.
alchemist19 on February 10, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Does that go for cannibalism, rape, incest and murder because there are certainly specimen that appear to be predisposed to these actions also?

There is no physical evidence that homosexuality is anything but a mental illness. Keep saying there is as much as you want but it still isn’t true. Increasing homosexual activity has, and will always be, a symptom of a diseased and failing society. There isn’t an issue today with homosexuality because so many people persecute and oppress homosexuals, it isn’t so, most people could care less. Homosexuality is an issue because so many homosexuals are looking for any source to tell them they are OK. They are partnering with the left to oppress the speech and thought of the majority and the left is more than happy to use them in the attempt to control the masses. There is only one problem, if the left finally gains the totalitarian control over our society it desires, guess who they will come for first to cleanse the society of those who are different?

peacenprosperity on February 11, 2014 at 9:27 AM

libfreeordie on February 11, 2014 at 9:17 AM

ROFLMAO…holy chit you’re pathetic!

HumpBot Salvation on February 11, 2014 at 9:30 AM

I don’t really know how Jesus knew what action Peter would choose. It is possible that given the current circumstances that was the only choice Peter would make.

God knows us better than we do. It is like knowing one’s children. If they are in a certain environment they will behave in certain ways.

I don’t see how the example you give negates God’s omniscience. But the way in which you pose your question seems to indicate you believe the story of Peter’s denial.

In the spirit of thinking, can you explain the philosophy behind you conclusion. You said they were philosophical. I would really like to know how you reasoned to your conclusion. Please explain.

davidk on February 10, 2014 at 6:18 PM

I did not attempt to negate God’s omniscience. My entire argument is that if he does exist and he is omniscient (and the Paul example suggests that he is – if you believe it) then the entire notion of “free will” seems dubious at best. If God already has the benefit of knowing every decision you will make ahead of you making it, then as a result of his past knowledge of your future actions, your only real choice is to do what he already knows you will do. Peter’s free will could not allow him to defy what Jesus had already observed about his actions. Had he been able to, then God would have been wrong and thus not omniscient. It’s why I bring up the movie analogy: If god already knows every action you will ever take, then your life is like the second watching of a movie. He’s already witnessed it. The movie can’t play out any different than what he’s already witnessed and thus your “free will” is only a mirage.

I’m not the first person to broach this subject. Smarter people than myself have discussed the problems with an omniscient god as it relates to freewill:

mazer9 on February 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Well normally I would say, ‘Who cares. Keep your perversions to yourself’, but in this case, this guy has guaranteed himself to be a draft pick. If some team doesn’t pick him, why, then, they are all anti-gay.
The woman living in the white house has said he is an inspiration to all of us. Why is he an inspiration?

maryo on February 11, 2014 at 10:53 AM

This:

Increasing homosexual activity has, and will always be, a symptom of a diseased and failing society…

peacenprosperity on February 11, 2014 at 9:27 AM

maryo on February 11, 2014 at 10:57 AM

All this is an attempt to move his draft status up a tad. Some team will jump all over the opportunity of being celebrated as the one who “chose” the gay guy.

Not the fast guy, or the smart guy, or the strong guy, or the talented guy.

But the gay guy….

And that is just one more example of the end of us as functioning society.

We chose not for quality but for political correctness.

A cancer on nations.

archer52 on February 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM

He said he wanted to “own it” by coming out himself. He doesn’t want to be at the mercy of the liberal activists who will out him. – cimbri on February 11, 2014 at 2:48 AM

It appears that he wanted to beat the radical gay left to the punch.

SC.Charlie on February 11, 2014 at 11:54 AM

Not the fast guy, or the smart guy, or the strong guy, or the talented guy.

But the gay guy….

And that is just one more example of the end of us as functioning society.

We chose not for quality but for political correctness.

A cancer on nations.

archer52 on February 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM

That’s a new one: teams drafting players in order not to fill a need, but to say they were the first to draft a gay guy.

Come on! Not even the Cleveland Browns would do something so stupid.

mazer9 on February 11, 2014 at 1:01 PM

maryo on February 11, 2014 at 10:53 AM

As if if a guy who was an All-American and defensive player of the year in the SEC (of all conferences) was all that worried about not being drafted. I swear some of you guys are grasping at straws here to make this guy look like anything but brave for doing the courageous thing. His willingness to come out offers hope to others who have been afraid and that makes you guys burn on the inside.

mazer9 on February 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM

mazer9 on February 11, 2014 at 10:31 AM

No you are not the first one. The nature of God generally and His omniscience specifically has been debated for hundreds of years and will continue to be debated until the end of of time.

The problem with what you are saying is it leads into determinism which ultimately negates free will. IOW determinism and free will are incompatible.

Your view of God is too narrow. God knows all possible worlds and and all possible events in all possible worlds.

I explained that to you earlier, but you said it didn’t answer your question. It does, and I’m not being snarky but you seem not to understand what I said. It could be due to the way I said it, but others seem to understand.

I’m not saying my understanding is correct. I have talked to Christians who have the same understanding as you. I struggled with that point of view for quite a while because I couldn’t square the circle of freewill and determinism.

I have thought long and hard, and my current understanding solves the impasse. In fact I think it honors God more because it expands His knowledge to be more in line with the Bible which says God’s knowledge is without end.

One thing I might add, one thing I’m still mulling over in my mind and I don’t know yet how it relates to God’s omniscience. In the framework of my understanding I wonder if it would be correct to say, “God knows every move you will make including the move you will actually make but doesn’t know which move you will actually make until actually make it.”

The question I have does that necessarily limit God’s knowledge. If it does then it is false. If it does not limit God’s knowledge then it could be true.

I have answered you uprightly. I have proceeded as though you are asking a serious question; that I’m not “casting pearls before swine.”

If your goal is merely to attack and tear down, that’s on you. We humans need to handle the things of God reverently. We need to consider the words of Elihu to Job. And then read the Words of God to Job.

Job 38
Then the Lord spoke to Job out of the storm. He said:

2 “Who is this that obscures my plans
with words without knowledge?
3 Brace yourself like a man;
I will question you,
and you shall answer me.

4 “Where were you when I laid the earth’s foundation?
Tell me, if you understand.
5 Who marked off its dimensions? Surely you know!
Who stretched a measuring line across it?
6 On what were its footings set,
or who laid its cornerstone—
7 while the morning stars sang together
and all the angels shouted for joy?

My goal, at which I continually fail, is to be God honoring. What is your goal?

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Most people don’t realize that, before he was a defensive end, Michael Sam tried out for quarterback. The problem was that the centers kept getting freaked out by where he was putting his hands when he lined up behind them. So, he tried center, but the quarterbacks were freaked out about how “excited” he was when they went to take snaps.

olesparkie on February 11, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Michael Sam interview questions you’ll never see:

1. “Did you have a crush on any of your teammates in high school r college?”

2. “Do you think you’ve enhanced your draft status by coming out?”

3. “When do you think transexuals will be welcomed in the NFL?”

4. “Have you ever ‘copped a feel’ of an opposing player in the course of making a tackle?”

5. “Which NFL player would you most like to shower with?”

olesparkie on February 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM

mazer9 on February 11, 2014 at 1:06 PM

C’mon dude.. He isn’t brave or courageous. He is going to get loads of fawning, free press and be deemed the gay Jackie Robinson. It is going to guarantee him Nike et. al contracts before he hasn’t even proven himself in the league.

melle1228 on February 11, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Given the additional media attention Sam will receive before he plays a single snap in the NFL, there will be intense pressure on him to perform not just well, but like a first-round pick. If his talent isn’t enough to make up for the media circus he’ll attract, he’ll be out of the league faster than Tebow.

royal flush on February 11, 2014 at 1:28 PM

Not the fast guy, or the smart guy, or the strong guy, or the talented guy.

But the gay guy….

And that is just one more example of the end of us as functioning society.

We chose not for quality but for political correctness.

A cancer on nations.

archer52 on February 11, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Maybe not:

The news that former Missouri defensive end Michael Sam is gay holds significant social and cultural ramifications. But from a purely football perspective, his decision to come out prior to May’s NFL draft will make his path to the league daunting, eight NFL executives and coaches told SI.com.

In blunt terms, they project a significant drop in Sam’s draft stock, a publicity circus and an NFL locker room culture not prepared to deal with an openly gay player. Sam, the SEC Defensive Player of the Year, was projected as a mid- to late-round draft pick prior to his announcement.

While none of the executives overtly condemned Sam’s decision, their opinions illuminated an NFL culture in which an openly gay player — from the draft room to the locker room — faces long odds and a lonely path.

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 1:39 PM

Whose “reason and logic?” Mao’s? Stalin’s? Hitler’s? Yours? Right now Vlad Putin finds it most reasonable and logical to oppress homosexuals. Is he right?

29Victor on February 11, 2014 at 12:17 AM

I would posit that trusting to the reason and logic of a paranoid, violent tyrannical sociopath isn’t a wise course of action. As for Putin’s domestic politics, I was aware of the whole controversy but didn’t really look closely at it until recently. From what I can see it looks like it was a cynical ploy to appeal to conservative voters in the heartland of Russia. I think I’ve seen that movie before.

As to the idea that we should trust in a supernatural being as the source of morality we find problems that go back to Plato. For example, what happens if God changes his mind? I think we all would agree that genocide is an immoral act, but for the theist genocide like murder and slavery could become moral today if God commanded them. If there is an inherent goodness in things like a prohibition on murder and God commands them because they are inherently good then a God isn’t necessary and we can still arrive at the same moral code without having to bother with the divine.

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 1:43 PM

Michael Sam interview questions you’ll never see:

1. “Did you have a crush on any of your teammates in high school r college?”

2. “Do you think you’ve enhanced your draft status by coming out?”

3. “When do you think transexuals will be welcomed in the NFL?”

5. “Which NFL player would you most like to shower with?”

olesparkie on February 11, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Are these questions you really want to know the answers to, assuming there are answers to them?

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM

libfreeordie on February 11, 2014 at 9:17 AM

I read nearly all the posts on this long thread, and I saw no conservatives here making arguments against gay football players.

Are you sure the people making the “arguments against gay players” aren’t liberals?

JannyMae on February 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM

I don’t know what’s worse, men’s figure skating, or NFL Football.

JackM on February 11, 2014 at 3:42 PM

I’m going to tell my boss I’m gay, and see if I get a raise.

Hey, wait a minute…

JackM on February 11, 2014 at 3:50 PM

I’m just wondering, when Gay Mike retires, will he go into the Hall of Fame, or onto the AIDS Quilt.

JackM on February 11, 2014 at 3:55 PM

T-Pain: Some Rappers Won’t Work with Gay Singer Frank Ocean

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

I heard Green Bay wants to draft Gay Mike. A Green Bay spokesman has been quoted as follows:

“Mike has what it takes to be a Packer.

JackM on February 11, 2014 at 3:58 PM

To Gay Mike, pass interference is when the guy’s boyfriend shows up.

JackM on February 11, 2014 at 3:59 PM

I also heard, Gay Mike was inspired to play football by former Patriot great, John “The Hog” Hannah.

JackM on February 11, 2014 at 4:03 PM

I’m coming out as an openly heterosexual man…

shinty on February 11, 2014 at 7:20 AM

I’m sorry, you can no longer post here.

JackM on February 11, 2014 at 4:06 PM

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 3:57 PM

If we’re citing rappers as role models then maybe society really is in decline.

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM

The supreme court struck down anti-sodomy laws on the basis of a ‘right to privacy’. With his announcement, this guy’s life is anything but private. Since he wants to live his life like an open book, he should be compelled to answer questions like these.

olesparkie on February 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 1:49 PM

olesparkie on February 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM

I wish there was way we could keep Gay Mike from talking.

Hey, c’mon, that’s not what I meant!!

JackM on February 11, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Is it true, Gay Mike has already been drafted by a team in the Lingerie League?

JackM on February 11, 2014 at 4:22 PM

If outing yourself is such a lucrative business, you’d would have thought plenty of other gay football players would have beaten him to the punch. Apparently he’s the first gay guy in the NFL.

What a joke.

mazer9 on February 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM

olesparkie on February 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM

Your take is curious and you dodged the question.

Do you personally really want to know the answer to those questions, and if you do want to know them, why do you want to?

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 4:42 PM

What a joke.

mazer9 on February 11, 2014 at 4:34 PM

Yeah, because Jason Collins, an aging has-been didn’t get any endorsements out of his announcement. /facepalm.. You people are emotionally unintelligent.

In your endeavor to beef up your progressive, and enlightened cred; you leave your brains in your azz.

melle1228 on February 11, 2014 at 4:52 PM

olesparkie on February 11, 2014 at 4:14 PM

And what if instead of disclosing his sexual orientation in an interview Sam instead had been seen out in public with a boyfriend, a reporter asked him about his sexual orientation, and that’s when he said he was gay. Would that still be living his life like an open book and would he still be compelled (however you’re planning on compelling him) to answer those same questions?

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 4:55 PM

“It takes something a little out of the ordinary for a defensive player… to be a million-dollar endorser,” he said.

“He’s instantly become a household name,” said Dorfman, who thinks Sam could be worth seven figures a year in off-the-field opportunities, profitable speaking gigs or a book deal.

By coming out openly, he’s getting a lot of brand visibility, said Rick Burton, a professor of sports management at Syracuse University. “He has something that sponsors value, which is a brand, and he didn’t have that brand yesterday.”

melle1228 on February 11, 2014 at 4:57 PM

The word “possible” in and of itself suggests uncertainty. Omniscience is the antithesis of uncertainty. Someone with omniscience WOULD KNOW EXACTLY WHAT WILL HAPPEN. To an omniscient being there wouldn’t be “possible outcomes” only outcomes. The best example I can give is watching a movie. When you have seen a movie for the second time, you basically have omniscience over the film. You know all the actions of everyone in the film. It serves no use to talk in terms of “possible” outcomes because the only “possible” outcome is what you know will happen at that point. It’s why we don’t like “spoilers”. If you know the boat in Titanic is going to sink at the end is it possible for the boat to do anything but? Once we gain omniscience as to the ending of the film the whole notion of other possibilities vanish into thin air.

If he doesn’t know which move I will make until I actually make it, how exactly is that omniscience? At that point, even I know which move I will make and so does anyone else witnessing it.

My goal, at which I continually fail, is to be God honoring. What is your goal?

Enjoy my finite existence and provide for my family.

mazer9 on February 11, 2014 at 5:21 PM

melle1228 on February 11, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Can’t say I have ever seen the guy in an ad for anything. He certainly hasn’t gotten another contract in the NBA since his outing. Like I said, athletes outing themselves was such big business, he wouldn’t be the first NFL player EVER coming out as gay.

mazer9 on February 11, 2014 at 5:24 PM

Didn’t the NBA make a rule that a player “flowing blood” could not play after Magic Johnson was diagnosed with HIV?

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 5:25 PM

mazer9 on February 11, 2014 at 5:24 PM

It wasn’t about the NBA. It was about extending his career.

Look, I am a conservative so I don’t fault Collins or Sam for using that announcement to help their career along, but let’s not make it into some heroic amazing feat.

melle1228 on February 11, 2014 at 5:26 PM

One of Sam’s agents, Cameron Weiss of Empire Athletes, said his client will probably soon sign shoe and apparel contracts, and perhaps one other deal, in addition to the usual pre-draft contracts for memorabilia and trading cards.

“For now, we want to keep things tight,” Weiss said in an e-mail.

A likely partner would be Nike Inc., which has made no secret of its desire to include an active gay athlete in its stable of endorsers. Nike’s pitchmen include former National Basketball Association player Jason Collins, who last year said he was gay in a Sports Illustrated cover story. Collins, a 12-year veteran, wasn’t signed to a contract by any teams this season.

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Yep, it is all about the benjamins, and really has nothing to do with bravery..

melle1228 on February 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 5:17 PM

Rush is really busting out the melodrama. The 95-98% heterosexual majority is “under assault”? Really? My eyes rolled so far back I could watch the brain cells die. Rush used to be better than that.

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 6:04 PM

Yep, it is all about the benjamins, and really has nothing to do with bravery..

melle1228 on February 11, 2014 at 6:03 PM

Then why has no other NFL athlete ever stepped up and grabbed the money that was, apparently, there for the taking? Or is it your position that when/if Sam makes it into the league that he will be the only gay person in it?

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM

mazer9, your first comment revealed your dislike of Christians. You claimed that the south was the most bigoted because they are the most religious.

You jumped to Christianity equals slavery. Then took a sideswipe at sabbath keeping.

When you were shown that being a bond-servant was different from slavery, you doubled-down with your ignorance. And you continued your ignorant rantings.

After parading your ignorance some more, you jump on the omniscience/freewill debate and trot out century old arguments to espouse an untenable position and in doing so you show your lack of comprehension of a fairly simple concept. Or you understand, but because of your hatred of Christianity you continue to double-down with stupid.

You have revealed your lack of knowledge of “possible worlds” discussion. Philosophical discourse is beyond you.

I estimate you in late teens or early twenties. A former PK.

You’ve watched a couple of youtube videos and now you think you can jump in the middle of a thread and start slinging crap. That won’t wash here.

The day before registration a commenter was unceremoniously banned for taking your kind of comments to its logical conclusion.

There are people here that can and will tie you into knots, and enjoy doing it. And laugh at you when your gone.

I care little what you say to me. I’ve been doing this for a long time and have been called a lot of things.

If you want your time here to be enjoyable and productive, you need to take the chip off your shoulder get a little education on the topics that you feel strongly about and join in civil discourse.

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I estimate you in late teens or early twenties. A former PK.

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 6:15 PM

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 6:08 PM

IDK, could be that they want to keep their lives private or they could have felt it was the wrong time politically.

Are you really denying that these announcements are met with celebrations by the media?

Are you really denying that Sam will now have a “brand” and name recognition that other players won’t have?

Are you really denying that companies like Nike aren’t lined up to be the first to sign the gay players?

If you look at my article I quoted, it is a rarity for a defensive player to stand out and get endorsements. Sam just wrote his own ticket.

melle1228 on February 11, 2014 at 6:35 PM

The first one was kicked out by the mod because I had too many links. The it went through after I deleted a link and submitted.

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Exactly. We don’t really “know” what motivates these people so in the absence of evidence we probably shouldn’t speak as if we do.

Certainly not.

In a way he will have a brand and name recognition that no other player does.

Nope.

melle1228 on February 11, 2014 at 6:35 PM

For the present he most certainly has. Again, it makes me wonder why so many other players have just left this money sitting on the table.

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Yeah, but either you aren’t as cynical as I am or you are so enamored of all things gay, you can’t look at it critically.

I don’t see a gay player. I see a FOOTBALL player. And I find it hard if not impossible to believe that there wasn’t financial motive behind this. And if that is the case, then I don’t see it as heroic or brave; I see it as self-serving(and in the words of Seinfeld- there’s nothing wrong with that).

melle1228 on February 11, 2014 at 7:07 PM

melle1228 on February 11, 2014 at 7:07 PM

I’m cynical enough for the both of us, I just don’t feel too comfortable assigning motives to people who I know nothing about. I enjoy being a cynic but I hate being wrong. Maybe he is a publicity whore. Maybe it is about the money. Maybe is it heroic and/or brave. Maybe it’s all of them. I haven’t seen enough of the guy yet to know for sure. Give it a few months and then we can cast aspersions.

I said it somewhere yesterday but I’ll repeat it now if you missed it. Personally I think he’ll make a roster, his first minicamp will be a circus, his first preseason game will be as well. His first play in the regular season will be all over SportsCenter even if he gets nowhere near the ball, his presence will quickly become not that big of a deal and the novelty will wear off in a couple weeks. If he starts doing his best Chuck Schumer impression to get in front of every TV camera he can find then I’ll judge him. If he never mentions it, doesn’t play it up and doesn’t make himself out to be a huge victim when the inevitable jeering from opposing fans starts then I’ll be more apt to think his motives were more pure. We just don’t know yet.

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 7:24 PM

‘The rule is, jam to-morrow and jam yesterday – but never jam to-day.’
‘It MUST come sometimes to “jam to-day,”‘ Alice objected.
‘No, it can’t,’ said the Queen. ‘It’s jam every OTHER day: to-day isn’t any OTHER day, you know.’
‘I don’t understand you,’ said Alice. ‘It’s dreadfully confusing!’
‘That’s the effect of living backwards,’ the Queen said kindly: ‘it always makes one a little giddy at first–’
‘Living backwards!’ Alice repeated in great astonishment. ‘I never heard of such a thing!’
‘–but there’s one great advantage in it, that one’s memory works both ways.’
‘I’m sure MINE only works one way,’ Alice remarked. ‘I can’t remember things before they happen.’

‘It’s a poor sort of memory that only works backwards,’ the Queen remarked.

Lweis Carroll, Through the Looking-Glass.

davidk on February 12, 2014 at 4:42 AM

heroic or brave

I think some of our commenters did to redefine what they consider heroic and brave. Maybe meet a MOH winner.

Heroic/brave= Jumping on a grenade to save your friends.

Heroic/Brave is NOT announcing your gay and getting a bunch of fawning press and endorsement deals.

melle1228 on February 12, 2014 at 6:05 AM

alchemist19 on February 11, 2014 at 7:24 PM

Yeah, because ascribing money and fame motivations to a guy who is trying to get into the NFL so he can get money and fame is such a jump.

melle1228 on February 12, 2014 at 6:50 AM

All I did was put two and two together. The south is also the poorest and least educated region of the country too. Go figure.

“If a man strikes his servant or his maid with a rod, and he dies under his hand, he shall surely be punished. Notwithstanding, if he gets up after a day or two, he shall not be punished, for he is his property.” (Ex. 21:20-21)

The Christian defintion of “at-will” employment.

I was kind enough to provide a link to the Stanford philosophy website. Clearly people smarter than me are having this same discussion. Excuse me for exercising my ability to think critically. I know that is frowned upon by Christianity.

Ah! That again! “Possible” is not a word that an ALL KNOWING being has to worry himself with. It’s a word for beings that aren’t omniscient. Otherwise, what is the purpose of omniscience when you have to think in terms of “possible” outcomes, not KNOWN OUTCOMES?

I estimate you in late teens or early twenties. A former PK.

Don’t take a job at the carnival guessing ages. Thanks though.

Thanks Mr. Moderator. Not sure how I’d survive if that happens.

There are a bunch of people who don’t have a problem bashing gays and laughing about it either. Somehow I think I’ll be alright.

Feeling is obviously mutual.

davidk on February 11, 2014 at 6:15 PM

Pot, meet kettle

mazer9 on February 12, 2014 at 9:27 AM

And came up with five:

davidk on February 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM

And came up with five:

davidk on February 12, 2014 at 12:45 PM

He can’t even see what a big bigot he is..

melle1228 on February 12, 2014 at 2:23 PM

davidk on February 12, 2014 at 3:41 PM

From your link:

(1) If God has foreknowledge that S will do A, then it is necessary that S will do A.
(2) If it is necessary that S will do A, then S is not free with respect to doing A.

Therefore,

(3) If God has foreknowledge that S will do A, then S is not free with respect to doing A.

The first statement is wrong.

Your understanding, and that of the author of this article, of God’s knowledge is too narrow.

Pslam 147:5 states:

Great is our Lord and abundant in strength;
His understanding is infinite.

If He only knows what we will do but not also what we may do, then His knowledge is limited.

The statement should read:

If God has foreknowledge that S MAY do A, then S MAY do A.

The rest of it would go:

If it is not necessary that S will do A, then S is free with respect to doing A.

If God has foreknowledge that S MAY do A, then S is free with respect to doing A.

*******

davidk on February 12, 2014 at 5:08 PM

With the development of quantum mechanics, those who deny the metaphysical have less reason to do so.

Quantum physics suggests that quantum particles that make up atoms can leap distances without going through space. What? They can even change their fundamental qualities to evade detection. The amazing thing is there are scientists who understand this.

And the Bible says God is light:

This science offers evidence that light particles can ignore time. Studious people with knowledge in the field are convinced of it.

davidk on February 12, 2014 at 5:31 PM

Supreme CourtJustice Clarence Thomas, who was born and raised in Georgia at a time of high racial tension, said race relations are worse now than decades ago — and that he actually experienced more grief from elitists in the supposed anti-slavery North than in the South.

davidk on February 12, 2014 at 7:29 PM