Rep. Ellison on the CBO report: Hey, Americans work way more than people in other countries

posted at 6:41 pm on February 10, 2014 by Erika Johnsen

Yes, I suppose it’s true that most of the rest of the world works a lot less than Americans do. Their GDPs-per-capita and/or their debt-to-GDP ratios generally tend to correlate accordingly, but whatever. Via RCP:

What the Congressional Budget Office is saying is that we’re going to discourage kids having to have latchkeys. We’re going to have parents being able to come home, working reasonable hours. People are going to be able to retire. People might be able to actually cook dinner rather than have to order out and get some takeout. I mean, the fact is, is that if Americans can have more choices to open up a new business they’ve been wanting to start, this is a good thing. You know, if you look at international comparisons country by country, Americans work way more than an average of industrialized countries around the world. And you know, we might want to look at our work-life balance and this is something that gives us a great opportunity. … I mean, the fact of the matter is we need a better work-life balance. Ask a working mother, OK, if she could use a few more hours in a day to take care of her family.

The only problem with that logic is that the federal government swooped in with a set of top-down economic mandates that will incentivize some people to ‘work more reasonable hours,’ at the expense of other people who will now have to work more to make ends meet as they simultaneously help to fund the redistributive nature of the system. I like the way Charles Cooke aptly put it at NRO:

After all, it is one thing for a person to choose not to work and to accept the natural consequences of that decision, but quite another indeed for a person to choose not to work because others are being forced to subsidize his well-being. One can reasonably attest that redistributing wealth to underwrite preferred social outcomes is “necessary” or “virtuous” or “kind” or “practical” — or even, more cynically, that it is the inexorable end product of a democratic system in which one man can vote himself the contents of another’s wallet. But one cannot claim that it makes either man “free” — at least not without twisting the word and the concept that it represents beyond all meaningful recognition.

Comments

Hey, Americans work way more than people in other countries

No freaking s_it – but since when are we not proud of that?

Answer – since Obama

jake-the-goose on February 10, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Read a piece the other day that summed it up perfectly:

Democrats used to at least be in favor of jobs, if anti-employer. With the dawn of Obamacare, the Democratic party is now officially anti-work…

JohnGalt23 on February 10, 2014 at 6:57 PM

%%^ *&^ &*( @$!&^% prick!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM

We work more hours because we get ahead doing it, well we USED to get ahead.

Now we do it to keep our heads above water, thanks to you Democrat socialists and the Emperor.

captnjoe on February 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM

They have now embrace Redistribution of Poverty.
Lower Middle Class will be forced below the Poverty Line – and they will be sooo happy to be home with their children to fix them a sad dinner of generic cheerios.

kooly on February 10, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Somewhere, George Orwell is laughing his ass off. Thanks to the Democratic Party, AKA “Big Brother”.

GarandFan on February 10, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Did dummy Ellison not see this?

Schadenfreude on February 10, 2014 at 7:04 PM

I’m getting dizzy from all this spinning. Don’t they realize how moronic they all sound?

sadatoni on February 10, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Dude’s useful.

CWchangedhisNicagain on February 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Work is vulgar.
Toil is stupid.
Down with job block.

Bertram Cabot Jr. on February 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Bad Rose! BAD!

Newtie and the Beauty on February 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Hey, Keith (No, I will not stoop to calling him “Mr.” or “Representative”)?

What’s up with your constituents that blew up a building in Minneapolis on New Years Day?

Funny how they’ve been saying that a natural gas explosion caused a fire in a building without natural gas service. Also kinda funny how there’s a mosque in the same building…

And it’s also funny how the eyewitness (firefighter’s) reports of a man sans his lower appendages lying in the street upon their arrival has vanished from the media narrative.

I question Mr. Ellison’s allegiance. One cannot serve Allah and serve the Constitution of the United States. They are mutually exclusive.

We need to recognize that their are traitors in our midst.

turfmann on February 10, 2014 at 7:07 PM

This is what he meant by “fundamental transformation of America”: Obama would make everyone AS LAZY AS HIS WORTHLESS ASS IS!

ConstantineXI on February 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Democrats have no self-conscious awareness.

vityas on February 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Schadenfreude on February 10, 2014 at 7:04 PM

It has the wrong letters in the title…no “M’s,” “F” or “A.”

Newtie and the Beauty on February 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM

%%^ *&^ &*( @$!&^% prick!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM

What she said.

Except I’d add: %%^ *&^ &*( @$!&^% iSLAMIST prick!

ConstantineXI on February 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM

Democrats have no self-conscious awareness.

vityas on February 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM

No, they have self-esteem awareness. They value themselves highly. More than others do, who realize that few leftists are fit to run the Fryolator at McRonalds.

ConstantineXI on February 10, 2014 at 7:09 PM

There are quite a few of us who might want be among these opportunity seekers:

However, with the prospect of a host of government officials, particularly the IRS, breathing down your neck and waiting to pounce on the smallest infraction with draconian penalties, many of us have decided it is just is not worth it.

The American dream may have once been to take advantage of the freedoms to build something great and serve the public by providing honest goods and services at a fair price. Now the American dream is more along the lines of keeping your head down and hoping they don’t notice you.

s1im on February 10, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Looks like the new left wing talking point for forseeable future is that “Work is bad” and we need to stop working so much.

I don’t know if they will move on from income inequality for this or find a way to mesh the two together.

I guess one way they can do both is by raising minimum wage which causes more people to lose their jobs, they can claim the best of both worlds. “Hey, people still working make more now, and people who aren’t are no longer in Job Lock”

tcufrog on February 10, 2014 at 7:11 PM

I guess this is why Obama is delaying ObamaCare – wants more “Job Lock” – can’t have people quitting now and enjoying their leisure!!!!

redguy on February 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM

Democrats have no self-conscious awareness.

vityas on February 10, 2014 at 7:08 PM

They see themselves as the leaders in America’s “Pivotal Experiment”.

redguy on February 10, 2014 at 7:17 PM

Ellison then volunteered to cut his congressional pay in half so that Americans could work less and not have to pay as much in taxes.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

OMG I crack myself up!

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:18 PM

You cannot really blame Rep. Ellison … All he is really saying is that the American People should work about the same amount of hours as their congressional representatives do.

r27cj on February 10, 2014 at 7:18 PM

Yeah, so?

Depends on why, it would seem. Is it because people want to achieve something or get ahead?

Or is it because they are stuck with 47% of the population being grifters and *someone* has to keep the trains running?

kim roy on February 10, 2014 at 7:19 PM

redguy on February 10, 2014 at 7:16 PM

The latest squawks have been about raising the minimum wage. I mean, now that all of those evil corporations and smaller businesses will have more money after cutting hours/bennies for (what’s left of) their workforce, the profit margins are going to be astronomical!

I mean, they can afford it now, right? [takes off shoes and socks to figure this out]

Newtie and the Beauty on February 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

It’s called a work ethic. We used to be proud of that.

crankyoldlady on February 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

My friend told me if I voted for Mitt Romney that there would be no middle class.

He was right!

Vero Beach Florida on February 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

%%^ *&^ &*( @$!&^% prick!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

NavyMustang on February 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Well, we work hard so Congresscritters can live high on the hog. He just believes he’s spreading the wealth.

22044 on February 10, 2014 at 7:21 PM

If you have ever seen Keef’s district then you know that his supporters love themselves the notion of not doing much of anything other than panhandling or leaning on a post, this message will resound with them.

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:24 PM

%%^ *&^ &*( @$!&^% prick!

annoyinglittletwerp on February 10, 2014 at 7:00 PM

You have such a way with words.

crankyoldlady on February 10, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Lib or not I got some common sense.

w=workers paying taxes

x=folks not working and paying taxes

y=cash receipts

z=cash outflows

Move some w to x.

Y and z stay the same.

Hmmm, need more taxes from w if y and z stay static.

Solution===w works more to produce more taxes.

Other solution===lower our standard of living to equal the other countries. Heck, now we can all work less. Then, as Nancy told me today on the phone….I will have more time to start a business.

This is a sad statement, I could be a better President than I pulled the lever for twice.

Need more beer as my head is starting to ache.

Maybe I am getting what I deserve. Going back to the gay thread and make bad jokes.

HonestLib on February 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

If we raise the minimum wage won’t that cause more people to cut back hours to get better Obamacare subsidy.

Won’t hours cut back to get bigger subsidy contribute to wage difference between rich and poor.

just saying.

gerrym51 on February 10, 2014 at 7:31 PM

HonestLib on February 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

Either that’s truth in advertising, or you’re only a lib on certain issues.

Newtie and the Beauty on February 10, 2014 at 7:34 PM

HonestLib on February 10, 2014 at 7:27 PM

You had all the evidence you needed to not pull the lever for him a second time, you weren’t being honest with yourself.

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM

A caller to Rush today pointed out that two weeks ago the Democratic Party talking points were all about “income inequality”, and that now they have flipped and they don’t care about income anymore.

slickwillie2001 on February 10, 2014 at 7:42 PM

Shorter Ellison:

You’ll make less money, and you’ll LIKE it!!!

Jerk. This guy is evil on the same level of people like Pelosi, Reid, and Schumer.

UltimateBob on February 10, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Ellison is a buffoon, just like Obama.

So Barack Obama hasn’t really transformed America. He’s simply made it chic to be a socialist. He’s made redistribution cool. He’s made paying taxes a fool’s errand. Like schools that award medals for participation or little leagues that ban keeping score, Barack Obama has sought to make Americans forget that success and prosperity are forged in the crucibles of hard work, investment and ingenuity and not in the halls of government. He has sought to make being on the dole just another form of pursuing one’s passion. He has sought to replace individual responsibility with government largesse as the symbol that defines our nation.

imperfectamerica on February 10, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Now there’s an honest spokesman for the Democrats. Let’s make sure this guy gets coverage every day in the MSM.

bflat879 on February 10, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Ellison, Sheila Jackson Lee, Hank Johnson, Dick Durbin, Chuck Schumer, Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, harry Reid, Steny Hoyer, and the entire Progressive caucus should be shipped to Guam, which should then be promptly tipped over.

It would raise the Human Species average IQ by several points.

Doc Holliday on February 10, 2014 at 8:01 PM

It’s called a work ethic. We used to be proud of that.

crankyoldlady on February 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Not that I’m defending the Democrat/media complex, but I have to believe that this sorry excuse for spin is the result of them realizing that Obama and the Democrat agenda have so royally f’ed up the economy that they now have to come up with positive aspects of joblessness. Since “funemployment” wasn’t working, now it’s the elimination of “job lock”.

Doughboy on February 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Doughboy on February 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Oh, no doubt. It’s the equivalent of Pee Wee Herman crashing his bike and then standing up, brushing himself off, and sneering, “I meant to do that.”

UltimateBob on February 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

He was right!

Vero Beach Florida on February 10, 2014 at 7:20 PM

Laughs despondantly.

talkingpoints on February 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 7:37 PM
Had a chaplain give me the same advice about another topic, and it has stuck with me for over 50 years since. Kind of deja vu all over again. Thanks for the response. Thumbs up!

HonestLib on February 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

Hey, Ellison: you can pay my bills, you dopey idiot. How’s that?

chai on February 10, 2014 at 8:16 PM

HonestLib on February 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

It didn’t have to do with seeing him for some private Bible lessons in the basement, did it?

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I drive a truck 10-11 hrs per day, 6 days a week, so some lazy slob can spend more time with THEIR family? So I can bring them stuff for THEIR benefit, and which they “pay” for with subsidies that come out of my pay?

Yes, this makes me very angry. And yet, what can I do? The obvious solution is to quit driving. But then, I lose my house and home.

Bastards and sons of bitches are too kind words to use for these people, and their enablers. Hell is too gentle a place for their soulless beings.

Kraken on February 10, 2014 at 8:22 PM

Flipping moron.

Othniel on February 10, 2014 at 8:36 PM

Moron

Othniel on February 10, 2014 at 8:37 PM

Oops. Oh well, he deserves it twice anyway ;)

Othniel on February 10, 2014 at 8:49 PM

Wait I thought we wanted to eliminate the wage inequality of women. will this not make it even worse?

hunthjof on February 10, 2014 at 9:15 PM

Bishop on February 10, 2014 at 8:19 PM
Man, now that is some kind of good funny. Most folks don’t even know there are lines to read around. Not that you care, or will get to know me….being the internet and all; but a Hat Tip to you.

HonestLib on February 10, 2014 at 9:22 PM

UltimateBob on February 10, 2014 at 8:15 PM

My thoughts exactly. (Seriously, I was getting ready to type that very analogy when I came across your post!)

They’ve blown the economy to hell, can’t figure out how to fix it, and so they’re just going to pretend like that’s the way it ought to be.

CurtZHP on February 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM

The good Rep knows that the unemployed, under-employed, and perm welfare voters are the lifeblood of the Democrat party. Can’t blame him for celebrating the millions of new converts President Obama is producing.

Frank Lib on February 10, 2014 at 9:45 PM

We’re all poor. Learn to like it.

crankyoldlady on February 10, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Another Ellison utterance that sort of goes along with this topic.

Rep. Keith Ellison (D-Minn.) told a gathering of Democrats, “The bottom line is we’re not broke, there’s plenty of money, it’s just the government doesn’t have it.

Yeah, you can read between the lines there…

For the one or two folks who might like to know more about the brilliant mind (kack) between this guy’s ears, please visit the PowerLine Blog and type “Ellison” in their search box. They have done an entire series on him. It ain’t a pretty picture.

climbnjump on February 10, 2014 at 9:47 PM

It’s something my cat does. He tries to jump up on something too high, falls down and gives a nonchalant look as if to say he meant to do it.

crankyoldlady on February 10, 2014 at 9:48 PM

It’s always been obvious the socialists actually believe that. Just as they believe socialism will work. It just hasn’t been done right or had enough money spent on it.

crankyoldlady on February 10, 2014 at 9:51 PM

CurtZHP on February 10, 2014 at 9:23 PM

Great minds……..

UltimateBob on February 10, 2014 at 10:21 PM

If a person chooses not to work, that’s his business. I object, however, to my being forced to pay him for it. That is how the Republicans should frame this issue. However, they will not. That is why I joined, and support, the TEA party. For those who have forgotten, TEA= Taxed Enough Already.

tngmv on February 10, 2014 at 10:38 PM

Well, the best example of a country where nobody worked hard and almost everybody was supported by the state is, wait for it, Greece. Hmmm, and how did that “pivotal experiment” in social justice turn out? Oh, that’s right, they’re totally, flat-out, broke and bankrupt. And there are a few other countries in Europe just like them, with Spain, Portugal, Italy, and France coming to mind as well. It always amazes me that liberals want to copy social programs and political policies that have already failed in other countries. Well, Obamacare will bankrupt what’s left of our economy and then miscreants like Ellison will see what it’s really like to live in a bankrupt state like Greece. The social unrest that will cause in this country will make the riots of the 1960′s look like child’s play.

Libertyship46 on February 10, 2014 at 11:17 PM

The Ross Douthat piece struck me in in more than a couple of ways.

First, it had the feel of the Star Trek: Next Generation episode when the crew defrosted a bunch of folks from the 21st century, only to inform them that the persuit of money had no value any more. I noticed that this theme was never again used in any Star Trek episode across all of the franchises.
It must have raised more questions than could be answered, like .. why would anybody be a “serf” in such an enlightened age ? Who would want a dangerous task ? Why wouldn’t they all want to be Captain of a Star Fleet vessel ?

On the conservative side, things are somewhat clearer. There are libertarians who like the basic income idea, but only as a substitute for the existing welfare state, not as a new expansion. Both “rugged individualist” right-wingers and more communitarian conservatives tend to see work as essential to dignity, mobility and social equality, and see its decline as something to be fiercely resisted.

… this brings me to the second point, on the conservative side, things are somewhat clearer. Who would be able to survive a Zombie Apocalypse ?In the such an event, the Progressive bastions, the cities, who look like “World War Z.” None of them would survive.

Lastly, Douthat thinks we live in a ‘post-scarcity society.’ Isn’t the whole underlying political point of AGW that oil is scare ? .. notice that in the AGW mindset of politicians, it isn’t that carbon is completely bad, it’s that fossil fuels aren’t renewable.

‘Post-scarcity society’ fits in the Obama-esque world that is also post-partisan and post-racial … these fit so well in the world with unicorns.

Which world that is ? .. I have no idea.

J_Crater on February 11, 2014 at 4:41 AM

His effort to create a 25%-50% unemployment is admirable stupid.

OregonPolitician on February 11, 2014 at 8:16 AM

Our #1 priority should be term limits. Allowing this buffoon a bully pulpit is a death knell of our society.

dnonnema on February 11, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Perhaps it’s time for all Democrats to be more free to make choices, not to be bound by their jobs in public office.
On Election Day, remember to bring freedom, choice and FUNemployment to the Democrats … by not voting for them.

J_Crater on February 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Rep. Ellison

From a man who says he represents the black community…tell how “overworked” your unemployed are?

Shouldn’t you be doing something about the horrific black communities unemployment rate instead of defending an administration who as taken “your people” to a new low?

What’s the unemployment rate of the black community, of the kids under 25, of women?

What is the % of single parent (read abandoned women) families?

Pal, you have a lot bigger problems than trying to justify that American’s work too hard…

right2bright on February 11, 2014 at 10:17 AM

The Ross Douthat article is brain seizing gibberish. Read that piece of offal at risk to your synaptic balance. You have to remind yourself he got paid for this. I can’t really describe it.

Cliff by the Ford on February 11, 2014 at 10:21 AM

the inexorable end product of a democratic system in which one man can vote himself the contents of another’s wallet.

That is gold

Probably will draw racist card though even though it happens to be true.

teejk on February 11, 2014 at 10:37 AM

If the GOP were smart, it would create a political radio spot in swing states that goes something like this:

“Obamacare is reducing job opportunities in this country. Democrats say that’s OK, because ‘Hey, Americans work way more than people in other countries,’ anyway. They’re right, in two ways. We do work harder than any other nation. It’s too bad the Democrats don’t seem proud of that. We Republicans say the more jobs there are, the better it is for everyone. However, if you think you’re working too hard now, wait until the public costs of Obamacare cause you to have to work two jobs, just to support the lifestyle you used to be able to live on just one job.”

brentspolemics on February 11, 2014 at 11:57 AM

J_Crater on February 11, 2014 at 10:13 AM

You are absolutely correct. Nobody works harder at a meaningless, nonessential job than a Democrat.

brentspolemics on February 11, 2014 at 12:00 PM

Ellison is the worst in Congress. Minnesotans are a nice and good people and any group who would fry macaroni on a stick and add bacon is obviously highly evolved, but I don’t understand why they elect people like Al Frankin, Jesse Ventura and this jackass.

V7_Sport on February 11, 2014 at 3:37 PM