Welcome to Russia: Police choir sings “Get Lucky” at Sochi opening ceremonies

posted at 8:01 pm on February 7, 2014 by Mary Katharine Ham

A group of men with a lifetime of Eastern European authoritarianism to their names and the epaulettes and mustaches to prove it. Singing Daft Punk. The official name of this group is the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs Choir. Ahh, Russia.

The spectacle is so wonderfully weird as to look like a Will Ferrel skit. It’s not ironic(?), but it looks ironic. Ironically. America’s going to love it, as the world did the first time around, when this went viral. Click to watch:

Police choir

What’s the best outcome for Sochi? I’ve been reveling in the widely publicized inconveniences of journalists— no shower curtains, hot water, basic cleanliness—because I’ve got to believe they’re making Vladimir Putin wince at every link. Knocking him down a peg on the world stage is great. Showing how corruption and graft have made Sochi the most expensive (and likely among the least impressive) games in years is a plus. Doing all of that while praying that none of it devolves quite to the point of major terrorist attack is ideal.

Update: I meant to applaud Russian snowboarder Alexey Sobolev for this pretty badass move.

Alexey Sobolev took part in the slopestyle qualifying on Thursday and as he waited for his scores, he turned the top of his snowboard to camera. The illustration on his board was that of a knife-wielding woman in a black ski mask. It’s the same outfit worn by the feminist rock group Pussy Riot, whose members were jailed after a show an impromptu show in a Moscow cathedral last year…

Russian media asked Sobolev whether his board was meant to be a protest statement and he danced around the question.

“Anything is possible,” he said. “I wasn’t the person who designed the board.”

It may all be a happy accident, which Sobolev seems to be embracing, to his credit. The artist who designed the board says it’s not an homage to Pussy Riot, but “It’s too bad I didn’t offend the Russian government on purpose though.”

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

I’m not getting all this.”I hope Russia fails at this Olympics” stuff. I don’t even get all the anti-Putin sentiment. I like Russians. I got to know a lot of them while living in Lithuania. They’re a lot like Americans in many ways (though they do have a darker streak). I even like Putin.

The Cold War is over. Can’t we all just get along?

MaxMBJ on February 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM

I actually think the guys in the police choir are adorable. It’s nice to see someone not all thugged out by our horrid pop culture.

PattyJ on February 8, 2014 at 12:30 PM

This Olympics’ opening ceremony was just awesome. It was creative & impressive with such a large number of colorful performers. Great job, never seen better.

Chessplayer on February 8, 2014 at 12:51 PM

Same as obama/McVain.

In its weird way, Russia, an oasis in a horribly decaying world, is trying to maintain culture.

See the incredibly historic and fantastic art/culture segments in the openings. The Russian soul is marred, by much suffering and blood, and the good Russian people deserve more than obama/McVain-like shallow propagandizing of a different sort.

There are thugs in the US too, on display now, in plain view.

Schadenfreude on February 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM

The Cold War is over. Can’t we all just get along?

MaxMBJ on February 8, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Putin is corrupt. You don’t amass the millions he has on a kgb pension. I also remember that photo of him pretending to be a tourist and spying on Reagan. Creepy.

My main gripe with Putin and which I would hope the Russian people would have to, is that he shut out access to all the secret files. They were open to researchers but they have shut the door. Victims are suppose to have access but they make it almost impossible for them to examine files.

Most of the players from the cold war are dead so I don’t see why they won’t allow access but for the fact that a lot of Americans who spied against their own country for Russia would be revealed. Oh, wouldn’t that be fun. lol

But, I see no reason to wish failure on their big show.

Blake on February 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM

One of the YouTube comments about the vid:

“We’re up all night to get Moose and Squirrel.”

Hahahaha.

justltl on February 8, 2014 at 9:41 AM

Well, that brings back pleasant memories. :)

Blake on February 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM

One thing often lost…the Russian people were, and maybe still are, artistic. Their history in the arts speak for itself.

Some of the great plays, art, music, has come from Russia, and eventually some of it surfaces.

right2bright on February 8, 2014 at 1:24 PM

But, I see no reason to wish failure on their big show.

Blake on February 8, 2014 at 12:55 PM

Olympics are supposed to be strictly for the Olympians.

It is utterly kindergarten-like to behave like obama, McVain and MKH, Hannity and the entire gaggle of misguided people.

Schadenfreude on February 8, 2014 at 1:25 PM

Not a fan of Daft Punk, but that Russian Police version was awesome!

With the older guys looking stiff, like, CZP! (translation -WTF!)
And the younger ones looking all around for the authoritarian OK to smile and go with it, the number was great old school entertainment to a much better than expected opening ceremony. All politics and facility bashing aside, kudos to some fine Disney-like moments.

Besides, I was only there to catch me some Franz Klammer in the Downhill prelims.;)

Summerlinian on February 8, 2014 at 1:30 PM

This brightened my day. The Russians are fun people and love to sing and dance and drink. It was a little surreal to watch men in Russian military uniforms sing this. Did they know what it meant???

champagnesandy on February 8, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Definitely some sort of re-imaging campaign going on. Here they singing Adele’s “Skyfall”. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-F832ZZNRV0

lineholder on February 8, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I like Daft Punk quite a bit (I usually don’t care about the Grammys, but I have to say, they could’ve done a lot worse this year). That was hysterical!

iceybloop on February 8, 2014 at 5:44 PM

Costas keeps interviewing Vladimir Pozner. Doesn’t anyone remember that he was the Baghdad Bob of the Soviet Union simply because he’s a Communist that can speak with an American accent? Just asking.

Ag80 on February 9, 2014 at 1:28 AM

If you like a Russian choir like that, this is a much, much better song for it:

Those Were The Days by the Leningrad Cowboys with the Russian Choir:

Theophile on February 9, 2014 at 3:25 AM

I’m not going to lie to myself and pretend they don’t sing like angels. And there’s something about their humanity shining through the oppressive army culture, and those sinister uniforms, that simultaneously makes you laugh and breaks your heart.

This rendition of Get Lucky, and the beautiful feminine coats the women on the Russian team were wearing as they entered the Olympics, has me seeing the Olympics this year as a celebration of the ways men and women are different.

ansonia on February 9, 2014 at 11:07 AM

ansonia on February 9, 2014 at 11:07 AM

Shush! Don’t you know that’s anti-gay Russian propaganda! How DARE you insinuate men and women are different and offend the BLTG lobby!

BKennedy on February 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM