Leno’s final monologue: “I’m going to have to sign up for ObamaCare”

posted at 10:01 am on February 7, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

What’s changed in 22 years? Jay Leno took a look back at the years since he first took over hosting duties at the Tonight Show in 1992, and offered a few quips about the differences. Weiner jokes are still just as funny, only now they’re about Anthony Weiner, who Leno skewers almost immediately.  Perhaps Leno wanted to look back, because looking forward means trying to deal with his unemployed status — and that means ObamaCare, Leno tells the audience (via CNS News):

Leno provides another bookend by talking about Hugh Grant, whose appearance in 1992 after his arrest for soliciting a prostitute put Leno permanently in first place in the late-night market, and also talked about his friendship with David Letterman. He also offered a few jokes from his usual repartee, and included some of his favorite video hits on politicians, which are well worth watching again.

I’ll be sorry to see him go, mostly because of the late-night comics, Leno seemed to spread his attacks fairly evenly. We’ll see if the next generation of comics follow his lead, or fall back into the safe “Republicans are evil” paradigm that most of Hollywood uses in its entertainment.

Comments

Leno didn’t get brave until he knew he was losing his job.

LoganSix on February 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Fallon is a hardcore Obama fellator, so what do you think will be the result?

NotCoach on February 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Har Har Har, get on the Liverpool Pathway fogey.

Murphy9 on February 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM

“I’m going to have to sign up for ObamaCare”

I wouldn’t….

Electrongod on February 7, 2014 at 10:07 AM

Flat

Bmore on February 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I don’t know that Leno “spread his attacks fairly evenly” so much that he had a good eye for what was unpopular among Americans, and goofed on that.

Effay5 on February 7, 2014 at 10:09 AM

NotCoach on February 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Our Fallon?

Bmore on February 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM

So, this commie Democrat experiment the loons did with B. Obama on U.S. all as to many of U.S. sat it out.

Obama is like the stranger you feel sorry for and take in to help him learn how to live in a civil way under the laws of the U.S..

Thing is once we let him in the kitchen, he takes a dumb on the kitchen table, eats all the good stuff, takes the rest puts it in his electric car he pluged into your socket and goes down the street handing it out telling his buddies its “his stuff for them.”

Then he never comes back and leaves his “Obama Care” on the kitchen table for you to clean up and pay for.

That about it in a nut shell.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM

Fallon’s ratings are going to collapse. If I were Leno I’d give NBC the finger when they try to beg him to come back.

ConstantineXI on February 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Our Fallon?

Bmore on February 7, 2014 at 10:10 AM

lol…Jimmy Fallon…From SNL.

Murphy9 on February 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Grant actually appeared in 1995 after his arrest. 1992 was the year Leno took over. Letterman went to CBS the following year.

Doughboy on February 7, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Haven’t watched any of the late-night shows since Johnny left. They’re all too leftist and not that funny anyway, including Leno.

TXUS on February 7, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Murphy9 on February 7, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Oh. I looked him up. Is he funny? Cause I haven’t watched SNL in years. Remember not having tv, these things fall into my blind spot. ; )

Bmore on February 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM

Fallon is childish. If you’re over, say, 35, you’ll hate him.

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Bmore on February 7, 2014 at 10:16 AM

I don’t think he is. He was doing the Late Night show before he took over for Leno.

NotCoach on February 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Fallon was the one who coined the Preezy of the United Steezy line, he’s a nuthead will find plenty of time to attack conservatives and ignore libs.

Bishop on February 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

NotCoach on February 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I just watched a youtube of one of his skits. Meh. ; )

Bmore on February 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Look to SNL for guidance on how the late night hosts will handle things.

Fair/even attacks were on the decline for the last 40 years and fell completely out of favour in 2000.

Gatsu on February 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Leno aired the same week I graduated high school, so I’ve been watching him on and off ever since. I’ve seriously tried watching Fallon, who is of my generation, but I don’t like his humor, most of what he does is juvenile, and you can tell he’s completely in the tank for Obama. With Leno gone, the only time I’ll watch NBC is for the Olympics(although, with Bob Costas being the know-it-all, that makes it harder) and when NASCAR is on there next year.

cebj25 on February 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Ya, and Jay you guys in Calif. will have to turn in all you gas guzzler cars to fund Obama Care also. Our guess he will sell them all to the Royal family of Saudi Oil Tick Kingdom and rake in a re-election fund for more commie like Obama.

APACHEWHOKNOWS on February 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Remember this incident? Set the expectations low, folks.

rcpjr on February 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM

The last part was the best part.

Conservative Mischief on February 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Finally. This man is the epitome of not-funny. Bring on Louis CK!

libfreeordie on February 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Leno was on the whole a pretty classy entertainer. Wasn’t there some rumor Fox was interested in him? Can’t see him on Fox & Friends but maybe Red Eye?

The Commentator on February 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

22 years? Wow, doesn’t seem like that long. Have never seen it, not one time. Used to watch Johnny though back when I would stay up late watching tv. Enjoyed Letterman when he first made the jump from daytime to night. Yes kiddies he started out on daytime! Can’t stand the sight of him now.

Now I stay up late to lurk QOTD : )

Brat on February 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM

The Commentator on February 7, 2014 at 10:30 AM

I thought the rumor was that Fox was interested in giving him a late night show on its broadcast channel, and not necessarily appearances on Fox News?

GOPRanknFile on February 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Finally. This man is the epitome of not-funny. Bring on Louis CK!

libfreeordie on February 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

We consider you an expert practitioner of relentless,laff-a-minute comedy.

Dr. Carlo Lombardi on February 7, 2014 at 10:34 AM

Fallon is childish. If you’re over, say, 35, you’ll hate him.

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I’ve never liked Fallon dating back to his days on SNL. He was notorious for cracking up during skits(it was funny the first time, but not the 20th). He had no memorable characters during his run. And his stint on Weekend Update was weak. His movie career was even worse. About the only decent role he had was a bit part in Almost Famous where he was almost unrecognizable.

I’ve only seen a few segments and interviews on his Late Night show. He does have an affinity for the 80′s that I appreciate. I can’t imagine Leno ever having Jason Bateman reenact a scene from Teen Wolf Too the way Fallon did. But his interviewing skills leave a lot to be desired(even by late night standards) and I just don’t think he himself is all that funny.

Maybe his Tonight Show will work, but I think it’s gonna wind up being an even bigger debacle than Conan’s. The problem with Conan was that his act was suited for 12:30 and the college age crowd. But he himself was still funny. The issue with Fallon is that not only is he better suited for 12:30, but he isn’t even that good of a comedian or talk show host to begin with. Frankly, Jimmy Kimmel is better than Fallon.

And BTW, moving the show to New York is stupid. It’s always been easier to attract guests in L.A. since most people in showbiz live on the Left Coast. Fallon and NBC just gave away one of their biggest advantages over Letterman.

Doughboy on February 7, 2014 at 10:35 AM

Brat on February 7, 2014 at 10:31 AM

Letterman was actually funny when he started. The guy under the bleacher schtick, the duck on the wire. Phil Hartmann was a regular. He went cynical left when he went to CBS and that’s when I turned him off.

DanMan on February 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Leno should run for Henry Waxman’s seat in congress.

meci on February 7, 2014 at 10:39 AM

cebj25 on February 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Ugh. I really can’t enjoy the Olympics anymore because of BC, to me he’s Keith Olbermann redux.

libfreeordie on February 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

How would you know? Your mom doesn’t let you stay up late. She told us herself!

22044 on February 7, 2014 at 10:39 AM

DanMan on February 7, 2014 at 10:37 AM

Yep. Bud Melman.

Brat on February 7, 2014 at 10:39 AM

cebj25 on February 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

Whut the whut? NASCAR is going to be on NBC?

Brat on February 7, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Finally. This man is the epitome of not-funny. Bring on Louis CK!

libfreeordie on February 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Why? Because he’s black?

Your Mom’s calling you. Better see what she wants – or no hot pockets for lunch.

Solaratov on February 7, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Fallon would be wise not to alienate half his audience the way Letterman has, I just can’t watch CBS anymore.

tte415f on February 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM

How would you know? Your mom doesn’t let you stay up late. She told us herself!

22044 on February 7, 2014 at 10:39 AM

Heh -:) I can’t wait until she shows up in the same thread he’s in.

Flora Duh on February 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Solaratov on February 7, 2014 at 10:42 AM

Louis CK isn’t black. But he’s kind of a d**k.

22044 on February 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Louis CK is black?

Ditkaca on February 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM

Finally. This man is the epitome of not-funny. Bring on Louis CK!

libfreeordie on February 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

I’m not sure we should just your judgement about anything considering the following:

Here’s a simple question for you. Which of the founding fathers did not subscribe to the communitarian ethos Calhoun deploys to rationalize slavery? *sets sundial*

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:30 AM

None. They weren’t nascent Commies like John C. Calhoun, and full blown Commies like you. Don’t you think you need to provide some proof for such a ridiculous smear there Mr. Calhoun? You’re a history perfesser, right?

NotCoach on August 21, 2013 at 9:36 AM

Oh dear God….hold on, give me 10 minutes.

libfreeordie on August 21, 2013 at 9:45 AM

NotCoach on February 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

I like golf better on NBC than on CBS. I always thought Leno was pretty even-handed in his political humor. Lately I’ve suspected him of being a closet Republican or maybe he was just being honest. I don’t think he will be hurting for a job. I heard him say in an interview he still likes to do stand-up comedy to keep his hand in.

crankyoldlady on February 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

But he’s kind of a d**k.

22044 on February 7, 2014 at 10:45 AM

No wonder libby likes him.

CurtZHP on February 7, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Still missing Carson……..

Libertarian Johnny on February 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

GOPRanknFile on February 7, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Yes, you may be right. Sounds like he is retiring for good though.

The Commentator on February 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

There are some high expectations for Fallon but I don’t see him measuring up. His kind of “humor” is much more mean-spirited and vulgar. But maybe that is where NBC wants to go.

Happy Nomad on February 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Finally. This man is the epitome of not-funny. Bring on Louis CK!

libfreeordie on February 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Now libfreeordie, you know very well you aren’t allowed to stay up that late.

Now get off the computer, I told you to clean that room of yours or you’d lose your online privileges for a week.

libfreesMom on February 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Still missing Carson……..

Libertarian Johnny on February 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Me too. He was the best and I’m glad I’m old enough to have watched him. Of course, I’m old enough to remember Steve Allen. Great humor.

crankyoldlady on February 7, 2014 at 10:51 AM

crankyoldlady on February 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

What is with you people? No, he is not a conservative. He is a hard core lefty. Still, the show tries to divide the political jokes 50/50. Of course, when one party becomes topical, they have to go with it and obamacare is topical. Leno is a multimillionaire. And he does these corporate gigs where he gets paid a lot of money for a one hour appearance.

Blake on February 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Agree that Leno was one of the few even-handed comics out there — he riffed on dems as much as on GWB — in fact, I saw a study that actually categorized his monologue jokes & said Billy Clinton was his #1 target.
That said, Leno kinda creeped me out with his crudeness — every monologue had way too many jokes about ass*es, mast*rbation, and genit*ls. He came off as a dirty old man.
From Yahoo News

Top 40 “Tonight Show With Jay Leno” joke targets since 1992
1. Bill Clinton (4,607)
2. George W. Bush (3,239)
3. Al Gore (1,026)
4. Barack Obama (1,011)
5. Hillary Clinton (939) …

KS Rex on February 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Fallon is childish. If you’re over, say, 35, you’ll hate him.

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I agree – his audience is the single guy 25-15 who likes stupid slap stick visual comedy.

IMO he is the juvenile Letterman – nasty and arrogant working toward biter and hateful like Dave.

katiejane on February 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

libfreesMom on February 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Lolz! Potential for great fun right there. ; )

Bmore on February 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I meant to say his audience was 25-35 but the 15 is probably more correct.

katiejane on February 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Happy Nomad on February 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Of course they do. Gotta keep up with all those reality shows with rude people yelling at each other. That’s what passes for entertainment nowadays.

I’m thinking of cancelling my cable. Why am I sitting here doing nothing?

crankyoldlady on February 7, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Blake on February 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I don’t know that he’s conservative. I don’t know what he is.

crankyoldlady on February 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Fallon is a hardcore Obama fellator, so what do you think will be the result?

NotCoach on February 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Yep; I have no hope for the punk-kid Fallon. I’m betting Jimmy Kimmel will see some big numbers.

slickwillie2001 on February 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Happy Nomad on February 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Like their cable news network.

Flora Duh on February 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM

Leno didn’t get brave until he knew he was losing his job.

In another perspective, Leno became WATCHABLE when he knew he was losing his job.

thei3ug on February 7, 2014 at 10:59 AM

I meant to say his audience was 25-35 but the 15 is probably more correct.
katiejane on February 7, 2014 at 10:54 AM

And you meant to say “bitter” instead of “biter” :-) … OTOH, Letterman certainly bites (in more ways than one)…

KS Rex on February 7, 2014 at 11:02 AM

Something just occurred to me. Isn’t he supposed to have already signed up for Obamacare? Isn’t everybody supposed to have done it?

crankyoldlady on February 7, 2014 at 11:11 AM

That last one of Obama going to the podium: That’s what he really looks like to Democrats.

Socratease on February 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Honestly, Jay’s cracks about ObamaCare left me with mixed feelings. The jokes were right on target. But if America can laugh about ObamaCare…

Scopper on February 7, 2014 at 11:18 AM

With Jimmy Fallon?? Don’t hold your breath.

Sterling Holobyte on February 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Finally. This man is the epitome of not-funny. Bring on Louis CK!

libfreeorgan on February 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

…you don’t know what humor is…and…listen to mommy!

KOOLAID2 on February 7, 2014 at 11:23 AM

They kicked Conan for what 2 more years of this guy? :P

OregonPolitician on February 7, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Fallon is neither mean nor vulgar by late night television standards. He’s a “nice guy” who focuses on more upbeat comedy, like his tv parody skits and games (Catchphrase, Egg Roulette, etc). It’s a nice break from the cynicism elsewhere.

Brad G on February 7, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Finally. This man is the epitome of not-funny. Bring on Louis CK!

libfreeordie on February 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

He’s already got a show on one of Rupert Murdoch’s cable channels.

jon1979 on February 7, 2014 at 11:32 AM

With Jimmy Fallon?? Don’t hold your breath.

Sterling Holobyte on February 7, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Don’t you know that humor has been outlawed since the banning of hypocrisy and irony by the LSM. I’m afraid we’re going to have to settle for the mugging of JStewart and out of context editing of Colberrrrrr !!! NBC simply doesn’t care about ratings since they became a propaganda arm of the libtards and believe all the promises of Dear Leader (PBUH) and his Technicolor dreamcoat squad.

GKChesterton99 on February 7, 2014 at 11:39 AM

Fallon has a kids audience and that’s what NBC wants.

It’s going to be a ratings disaster. That format doesn’t work at 11:30 on the big three networks. It has been proven repeatedly.

Moesart on February 7, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Jay Leno is one of the greatest stand up comedians ever. People that say otherwise don’t know much about comedy.

You don’t have to think he is funny to admire his skill.

Moesart on February 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM

I think Jay is a classy guy and have enjoyed watching him for a long time. As a kid I used to watch and found it funny because it was just old fashioned comedy. As for his replacement Fallon… no thanks.

A few have mentioned the vulgar Letterman. I think that may be a product of the CBS environment. Have you seen any of their normal comedy shows? Completely reliant on junk comedy and sexual innuendo which to me is just laziness but I guess that’s what people want these days or what they have to deal with.

JR on February 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM

You don’t have to think he is funny to admire his skill.

Moesart on February 7, 2014 at 11:43 AM

+ 1

JR on February 7, 2014 at 11:49 AM

For the over 35 crowd (myself included):

I think this is some funny stuff.

Armed Texan on February 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM

I don’t know that he’s conservative. I don’t know what he is.

crankyoldlady on February 7, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Leno just tries to be funny and that’s what makes him great in my opinion.

JR on February 7, 2014 at 11:52 AM

Leno leaving? Whatever… I have better things to do late at night, like sleep…

Khun Joe on February 7, 2014 at 12:03 PM

<blockquoteFinally. This man is the epitome of not-funny. Bring on Louis CK!

libfreeordie on February 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

RRRRRRacist. I thought you had something for Arsenio?

HughJass on February 7, 2014 at 12:04 PM

Guess Leno is not alone in leaving. I didn’t watch last night’s show, but I don’t think this was mentioned. If Leno knew it, he didn’t say anything that I know of.

What audiences might not realize is that Leno isn’t leaving alone, and those joining him don’t have the luxury of million dollar contracts to fall back on.

NBCUniversal is planning to lay off its entire “Tonight Show” staff — all 164 Burbank employees — when the late-night talk show moves from California to New York City next month, TheWrap reported … layoffs begin on February 14 and will continue through to April 4.

The good news? The fired staffers can still apply for job openings at NBC.

bluefox on February 7, 2014 at 12:30 PM

No he didn’t. He was much less partisan than the others but he was still somewhat partisan.

The only late night host that’s fair is Jimmy Kimmel, but that’s because he leans right. Therefore he has no problem making fun of Republicans without taking it personally or worrying about getting called racist.

The left gets nasty in their comedic jokes on conservatives.

UnstChem on February 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM

JR on February 7, 2014 at 11:48 AM

CBS used to have all those successful crime shows like CSI. Some are still on but they are systematically shoving them off and replacing them with sleasy sitcoms. There used to be situation comedies. Now they are sex comedies. Saves them having to hire good writers.

CBS has had the same trick as far back as I can remember. When they want to get rid of a program they schedule it so no one can find it. At 10 pm on Sunday for instance so that because the football game lasts over, it won’t be on until 11. Or they just keep moving it around to different days. Then they can say, well nobody’s watching it so we had to cancel it.

crankyoldlady on February 7, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Now libfreeordie, you know very well you aren’t allowed to stay up that late.

libfreesMom on February 7, 2014 at 10:50 AM

:-) This is going to be fun. Welcome aboard.

Oldnuke on February 7, 2014 at 12:37 PM

tte415f on February 7, 2014 at 10:44 AM

As Bachmann strode on to the NBC stage for Fallon’s late-night show, the program’s band, led by Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson, played a snippet of a 1985 Fishbone song called “Lyin’ Ass Bitch.”

The song begins with a distinctive “la la la la la la la la la” refrain — the only words that were audible before Bachmann, smiling and waving to the audience, sat down for her interview.

The song itself, about a relationship gone wrong, isn’t political, but it repeats the refrain “Lyin’ Ass Bitch” about a dozen times.

Bachmann’s campaign had no immediate comment, but the snub had some women criticizing the “Late Night” song choice.

redeye on February 7, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I could be wrong but wasn’t that Fallon as a Jeep driving supply officer in “Band Of Brothers”, (the greatest series ever on television)? Can anyone confirm this?

GreenBlade on February 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

GreenBlade on February 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

He was in Band of Brothers in 2001.

In 2012′s presidential election, Fallon gave his show over to President Obama and First Lady Michelle to “slow jam the news” several times while not offering that same platform to GOP nominee Mitt Romney until long after the race was over. He also gave NBC News’s Brian Williams a spot on a “slow jamming” bit during the election, and Williams unsurprisingly slammed Republicans and praised Obama during his bit.

In fact, Fallon was so thrilled to be a shill for the Obamas, he even gushed about it in an appearance on NBC’s morning show, Today.

redeye on February 7, 2014 at 1:45 PM

Remember this incident? Set the expectations low, folks.

rcpjr on February 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Yup… just as I’m sure the people at Letterman’s shop responded after Paul Schaefer and the band played “Push-Push, In the Bush” when Barbara Bush was introduced as a guest on that show…

dpduq on February 7, 2014 at 1:47 PM

I watched the show last night..Jay seems like a really good guy..seriously..He never took the low road when he made jokes about republicans..unlike the ultra liberal Dave Letterman did and still does..His goodbye last night at the end was sincere and he teared up quite a bit..it was sad..I truly think he’s a closet conservative or republican..just seems like to much of a nice guy to be a liberal

I’ll miss Jay Leno even though I never really watched his show.

sadsushi on February 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Yep, i’ll miss him too

Publius_jr on February 7, 2014 at 2:26 PM

I’ve liked Fallon’s show more than Leno’s, but that could have a lot to do with having The Roots as his band. Also, Leno is just really milquetoast in his humor these days.

I don’t generally stay up for any of these shows anyway, though.

iceybloop on February 7, 2014 at 2:36 PM

Jay Leno made me laugh, and I appreciated his pointing out the stupidity of the American people with his Jaywalking” routines.

birdwatcher on February 7, 2014 at 2:38 PM

Thank you for that.

thejackal on February 7, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Fallon is childish. If you’re over, say, 35, you’ll hate him.

BuckeyeSam on February 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM

katiejane on February 7, 2014 at 10:53 AM

I agree. I hated how he treated Michele Bachmann like dirt. I’m not a huge fan of hers, but there was no reason to treat that woman like dirt.

She may not be presidential material but she is a lady and does not deserve THAT treatment.

thejackal on February 7, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Still missing Carson……..

Libertarian Johnny on February 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

crankyoldlady on February 7, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I still remember watching this. It was funny then and it’s still funny. Loved Steve Allen too.

Oldnuke on February 7, 2014 at 3:21 PM

Twenty-two years is a long run for any entertainer. We have not seen the last of Leno. He will find something else to do. How about a cable series about cars? He and Chip Foose could make a great series.

SC.Charlie on February 7, 2014 at 3:33 PM

………a first. I had a warning that I was posting comments too quickly.

SC.Charlie on February 7, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Leno seemed to spread his attacks fairly evenly.

What? Only in the last several months since his dismissal was announced has Jay made jokes at the expense of Democrats. Years ago I watched and enjoyed his show but gave it up because of his lefty bias.

RJL on February 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM

Roots is the worst band that’s ever been on late-night TV.

slickwillie2001 on February 7, 2014 at 3:49 PM

GreenBlade on February 7, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I’m only going to show you how to do this once, so pay attention.

pain train on February 7, 2014 at 4:27 PM

I just saw Obama’s video farewell to Jay and it appeared to me this idiot was reading a freaking teleprompter. He can’t even read a two sentence statement without the written word in front of him. How pathetic.

Firmworm on February 7, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Roots is the worst band that’s ever been on late-night TV.

slickwillie2001 on February 7, 2014 at 3:49 PM

I suspect this is ideologically-driven. They are clearly coming from the left, like most musicians seem to be, but they are a talented hip-hop collective, and much more socially conscious and responsible than most in the genre. I particularly enjoy “Things Fall Apart”, “undun”.

iceybloop on February 7, 2014 at 5:27 PM

This is NBC. The same nuts that give us MSNBC. A nut by any other name is still a nut. Fallon can be funny. But don’t expect a joke a day against the left.

Tennman on February 7, 2014 at 6:06 PM

Finally. This man is the epitome of not-funny. Bring on Louis CK!

libfreeordie on February 7, 2014 at 10:28 AM

Proving once again that liberals have no sense of humor.

I’d like to see anyone do that much humor every night and still be watchable. Watch a few of the other late night shows, and see just how short their monologues are. Leno’s was twice as long as everyone else’s.

Some of the jokes were really funny, and some fell flat. But overall, there’s probably not another late night host that could do as long a monologue consistently.

Conan, for example, usually managed to get one or two really good jokes in a monologue. Which was great, but the rest of the monologue wasn’t so good.

So yeah, it’s easy to find more jokes that bombed for Leno than for anyone else, but that’s because he told more than anyone else.

And we’ll always owe Jay Leno a debt for Jaywalking, if nothing else.

I won’t claim he was always even-handed. He picked on the right side more than the left. But when almost every comedian feared to crack a joke at Obama’s expense, Leno was at least willing to poke fun at Obama. Even if the only reason he stood out was because of how bad the rest were…

There Goes the Neighborhood on February 7, 2014 at 11:09 PM