Is Paul Ryan the man to beat in 2016?

posted at 5:41 pm on February 6, 2014 by Allahpundit

Lefty Kevin Drum thinks so. I’m skeptical, but Ryan’s better positioned than we usually give him credit for when we’re kicking around 2016 possibilities.

There’s his steady series of “unheralded” anti-poverty outreach trips that always manage to be just heralded enough to get sympathetic press coverage. He brokered a budget deal with Patty Murray that was businesslike and low-drama but didn’t alienate the tea party crowd too badly. Today, in a hearing about the CBO’s report on Obamacare, he acknowledged that the report didn’t say that employers would be cutting jobs—points for intellectual honesty!—while also calling Obamacare a “poverty trap”—points for demagoguery! This is all stuff that seems very delicately calculated to stay in the good graces of the tea party base while building up plenty of policy substance cred that will keep him attractive to moderate voters.

On the flip side, who are his big competitors? Chris Christie is toast. Marco Rubio is inexperienced to begin with, and then muffed his chance for statesmanlike glory when he staked his reputation on immigration reform and came up empty. Jeb Bush can’t even get his mother’s endorsement. Scott Walker is getting buzz, but he strikes me as having too much baggage. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are novelty candidates, not to be taken seriously. And although I used to think Bobby Jindal might have a chance, he’s had a rough past couple of years.

When the Des Moines Register polled Iowans just before Christmas on who their favorite Republicans were, number one was — ta da — Paul Ryan. Obviously: On sheer name recognition alone, as the reigning VP nominee he blows most of the rest of the field out of the water. He’s as personally likable as any of his rivals, and he is, technically, now “next in line” in a party that tends to go that route when making hard choices in the primaries. And with Christie now flailing, he’d be primed to pick up some of Romney’s rich friends as donors if he jumped in. Everyone thinks he’d rather stay put and either be Speaker or chairman of Ways and Means, where he could set the agenda on entitlement reform, but there’s a reason he hasn’t ruled out running for president. He’d stand a fair chance at the nomination.

But he’s got problems. One is that he’s not as much of a darling of the base as he was three years ago, when deficit reduction was front and center. Conservatives didn’t like his budget deal and they really don’t like his shilling for Boehner’s amnesty push. If you’ve ruled out Rubio because of his work on the Gang of Eight, why at this point wouldn’t you also rule out Ryan? That’s not an insuperable obstacle for him — he’d be more of a centrist champion if he ran than a tea-party one — but his base is smaller than it used to be. Another obvious problem is that nominating Ryan would bring about the Mediscare apocalypse in the general election as Democrats ramp up into “he wants to kill your grandma” mode. Is 51 percent of our entitlement-loving electorate capable of resisting that pitch? Remember how Ryan didn’t do much talking publicly after being added to the ticket in 2012? There’s a reason for that. Finally, after nominating a senator and then a businessman who briefly served as governor, I think the party wants to nominate a governor who’ll run on his gubernatorial record next time. That’s part of Christie’s appeal to the establishment and a big part of Scott Walker’s appeal to grassroots righties. If you thought Obama governed like an amateur, the pitch will go, then you should vote for someone with executive experience this time.

Key question, then: What’s the case for Ryan over Walker? They’re both low-key Wisconsinites, both young, both with battle scars from their fiscal initiatives. Walker’s win over PEUs is arguably the biggest conservative policy victory since Obama took office, and seems to me increasingly recognized as such. For all his alleged “baggage,” he’s still on track to win reelection in a state where the left and its union allies have been frantic to take him down for the past three years. Ryan’s got him beat in name recognition right now but all governors have to cope with better-known rivals when they first start running. And at this point, Walker has a broader base between centrists and conservatives than Ryan does. What am I missing here?

Update: No joke, guys. I saw it with my own eyes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Seriously, other than being sacked by Biden, what does anyone remember about Ryan from the 2012 campaign.

Eddie Munster, Jr. has been rolled by the dumbest VP in history and the dumbest woman in the Senate (a former phys. ed. teacher.

bw222 on February 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM

NO more RINOs. ……

nobama1267 on February 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Who showed up to stand with the WWII vets at the memorial?
It wasn’t spaghetti face the wonder boy

entagor on February 6, 2014 at 6:21 PM

Ted Cruz didn’t show up to stand with the vets at the WWII memorial. He showed up with wire cutters to ensure that they could get past the Barry-cades put up by the NPS Stasi.

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM

Saying Ryan came out of that debate looking more likable than Biden is faint praise, indeed.

Also, since then I have soured on Ryan tremendously. He has gone full out on amnesty, and, looking back, I will admit that he was a terrible candidate. He really brought nothing to the table.

Maybe you want to make excuses for Ryan now, but we really have better options. We don’t need to go with that establishment retread. During the 2012 campaign, of course I would support him over Obama. But I don’t want to get stuck with pro-amnesty squish on the ticket again.

bluegill on February 6, 2014 at 6:25 PM

I didn’t say Ryan came out looking more “likable.” He came out looking sane, like the adult in the room, like a man whom you see being president, as opposed to Biden, who came out looking like your Uncle Fred who has spent the last 20 years in a rubber room.

I have no problem with you or anyone else taking issue with Ryan for his amnesty stance (I’m with you on that). I’m just saying that we can’t hang a “disastrous debate performance” on him. It simply didn’t happen.

Athanasius on February 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM

Bash Ryan for the stuff you don’t like about him, but don’t re-write history to prop up your dislike of him.

Athanasius on February 6, 2014 at 6:18 PM

That, and the fact that many conservatives underestimated Biden because of his foot-in-mouth habit off the cuff. There’s a reason Biden has always been a good BSer and as a result a good debater.

midgeorgian on February 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM

midgeorgian on February 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM

midgeorgian on February 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM

If you’re going to dump Ryan over immigration why would you accept Walker? What is the difference between the two on this issue?

Mark1971 on February 6, 2014 at 5:45 PM

Come on … seriously? Ryan is the single most outspoken proponent of amnesty from either party in the House. He has engaged with Greasy Louie Gutierrez and Chuck Scummer to advance amnesty.

Scott Walker once answered a question about a possible path to legal residency for illegal aliens with a “yes”.

To draw a straight line between those two positions is ludicrous, Mark.

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Vets hate Ryan because he screwed them. I dare him to run and face that. He gonna get it worse that Jane Fonda.

paulsur on February 6, 2014 at 6:32 PM

The man can speak well and has an uncanny way of explaining legislation, but he’s not perfect.
Not even that, the hate is powerful here.

Pickle on February 6, 2014 at 6:32 PM

bw222 on February 6, 2014 at 6:30 PM

He had moments of brilliance among hours of mediocrity. Much like the whole campaign.

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

I have also been disappointed in Romney recently, whom I supported strongly, since he has been promoting Chris Christie and pro-amnesty candidates, while poopooing conservatives. Maybe I was wrong about the guy. How could someone who purports to be strongly in favor of immigration law enforcement go and practically endorse amnesty politicians like Chris Christie, especially after Christie practically made out with Obama a week before the presidential election.

bluegill on February 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Athanasius on February 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM

What else do you remember about Ryan from the 2012 campaign? To say he didn’t generate enthusiasm is the understatement of the past 50 years.

bw222 on February 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Not even that, the hate is powerful here.

Pickle on February 6, 2014 at 6:32 PM

He looted military pensions. Why shouldn’t the hate be powerful?

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM

I like Paul Ryan. A lot. But I’m afraid the lefty street fighters would eat his lunch. Then they’d chew him up and spit him out, leaving him wondering what happened. Look what they did to Romney. Imagine what they’d do to Ryan.

petefrt on February 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM

The man is not honest.

And so it’s over for him. Although, again, this is the Republican Party. So maybe not.

chuckh on February 6, 2014 at 6:34 PM

Biden knocked Ryan for being a big spending RINO and Ryan just looked into the camera with that Eddie Munster smirk.

Wigglesworth on February 6, 2014 at 6:35 PM

Let’s see. He agreed with gym shoes Patty Murray to cut veteran’s pensions in the budget deal fiasco, but he wouldn’t touch handouts for illegals. No thanks. If he’s the best the Stupid Party has to offer, I’ll stay home on election day and knock down some shots of Tennessee whiskey.

Still Bill on February 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM

We spend way too much time helping Democrats rip down our own contenders before the primaries even start.

That said, some names not being discussed much:

- Pence
- Martinez
- Carson
- Daniels
- West
- Sandoval
- Palin

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Pickle on February 6, 2014 at 6:32 PM

You registered just to express your whiny-b1tch RINO opinions on a conservative website that despises RINOs? What a waste of time.

As for Ryan, he is marginally articulate and has an uncanny way making the simple sound complicated and undesirable — even to those who largely agree with him. He came away from a nationally televised debate against a functionally retarded man, and gave some of his own supporters the feeling that he somehow lost.

Are we talking about the same person?

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 6:37 PM

I don’t understand the Republican love affair with Ryan. He seems really boring. Then again, most Republicans seem boring.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM

Not even that, the hate is powerful here.

Pickle on February 6, 2014 at 6:32 PM

We hate losers.

Schadenfreude on February 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM

bluegill on February 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Preserved for posterity.

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM

- Pence
- Martinez
- Carson
- Daniels
- West
- Sandoval
- Palin

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Palin doesn’t have a shot. Shouldn’t she be doing an MTV reality TV show already?

Martinez is different. At least she’s a woman and comes from a diverse background. But, if you want the real deal, Hillary’s your woman.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM

So now that dreams of Christie are pretty much dead, is hotair going to start pushing Ryan and frequently?

VorDaj on February 6, 2014 at 6:40 PM

bw222 on February 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

This is another instance of history re-write. I have to go to a meeting, but I’ll show later that this is just nonsense.

Athanasius on February 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Athanasius on February 6, 2014 at 6:31 PM

I agree completely, but there are no scores for debates — there is only perception. And some on our side are insane, no doubt, but the lingering sense among them that Ryan actually lost a debate to the unhinged nitwit Joe Biden is a powerfully damning indictment.

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Mark Levin mocks “clapping seal” Paul Ryan for cheering on Obama’s amnesty talk at SOTU:

Another memorable interview in which the conservative host becomes exasperated with Ryan’s “Mickey Mouse” deal:

bluegill on February 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Paul Ryan is no RINO, but is very difficult for congressmen to run for president regardless of their positions. Also, it is hard to understand this rush for an amnesty bill now, which Ryan has been so vocal about.

Dr.B on February 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

That’s good info that I wasn’t aware of. Unless he is willing to change that position, it would be a huge negative to me…and any other legal immigrant who followed the rules / law.

Athos on February 6, 2014 at 6:12 PM

The gilled-one has a bad habit of selective hearing. Here’s a link to more of the video than the cherry-picked snippet the MSM posted. http://bcove.me/zvsadoju

And here’s the link to an interview that the gilled-one knows about but neglected to mention.

Exclusive — Gov. Scott Walker: I Don’t Support Amnesty

Towards the end of the interview, Bannon noted that “Amnesty is about the sovereignty of the country.” But, he asked Walker, “the Washington Post said earlier that you’re pro-pathway to citizenship.”

“See now that’s where they take it out of context,” Walker said in response. “I’ve not said there should be amnesty in this country. I don’t believe that. I don’t support the legislation being kicked around. What I’ve said repeatedly is we need to fix the immigration system, but fix the legal system. So if people want to come in this country we should have a legal immigration system.”

Bannon then interjected: “And take care of the borders and everything we have to do first.”

Walker concurred, saying that any immigration reform efforts should “fix the front door.”

“If you’re somebody, whether you’re from Mexico or Germany or Ireland, and you want to come to this country legally, we should find a way to make it happen,” Walker said.

Walker’s comments come months after, in July, the Post’s Blake ran a blaring headline saying Walker “backs path to citizenship.”

And before the gilled-one accuses me of being an amnesty supporter and apologist – again – the only reason I’m posting this is because I’m tired of the lies and half-truths of the media.

Flora Duh on February 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

We hate losers.

Schadenfreude on February 6, 2014 at 6:38 PM

I especially hate whiners who whine about hate.

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Paul Ryan may have helped the ticket as much as a running mate can be reasonably be expected to accomplish.

Mister Mets on February 6, 2014 at 6:03 PM

I presume from your screen name that you’re from the northeast. is shows.

Ryan was such a weak VP candidate, the liberal media pretty much ignored him.

bw222 on February 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM

Hey sparky..:)

“Politics is downstream of popular culture.”

- Andrew Breitbart

idesign on February 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

And the completely and totally unbiased and bi-partisan panel, has determined to give the grand prize to Marco Rubio and Paul Ryan for their EARNESTY’S RAINBOW. Now EARNESTY’S RAINBOW is a token of these men’s genius…they told me so themselves and repeatedly … that they could change perceptions by calling their plan for knocking down those pesky borders EARNESTY …in other words, they could have been a little more specific, but rather than allude to an articulation of the mundane, they have come to the conclusion that brevity is the importance of our nation’s shallow and selfish first world existence. God damn!

Marco Rubio’s and Paul Ryan’s. EARNESTY’S RAINBOW – is a small contribution to a certain degree, since there are over seven billion people in the world today. 315 of them … million live in the United States which is a very, very small amount compared to those who will be miserable and enslaved and dying elsewhere…Well, I say that you will be on the road to new horizons, for we who live in a society where citizenship is a commodity and a politician can become a TV personality and very wealthy, it’s not easy to conform if you have any morality at all…I, I, I said that myself many years ago…

But I do want to thank la Raza…I mean the DNC … I mean the Chamber of Commerce … I mean the RNC … I mean la Raza and the DNC and the Chamber of Commerce and their wholly bought and paid for subsidiary the RNC, the organization for the $500 in affirmative action latino scholarships they’ve given out…today they took in over $5,000,000, but they do have expenses for their brilliant consultants you know, and I think that I have another appointment. I certainly hope so. I would like to stay here, but for the sake of brevity I, I must leave. I do want to thank you, and I want to thank the founding fathers for all the sacrifices they made however much they were in vain but now, most of all, and looking into the failure … I mean the future .. I want to thank Marco Rubio – acting el Presidenta of Juarez la Raza Mexiamerica and Paul Ryan – acting First Lady of Juarez la Raza Mexiamerica and also Mr. Obama – acting Pharaoh and Peeping Tom … I mean Spy Master and Drone Commander of the World – and also I want to thank Professor Irwin Corey and again, thank you. …

RasThavas on February 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Thanks, Jailbones. The problem is that some on our side can’t seem to remember what they said or thought at the time, so they simply project their present dislike backwards. Not a very honest approach to the past.

Athanasius on February 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Dr.B on February 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

He might realize Republicans need to embrace a diverse America.

Unfortunately for you guys, it’s probably too late. Hispanics know they aren’t welcome in the GOP.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM

So you like Hillary precisely because she’s a woman and diverse. In what way is she diverse?

Fenris on February 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

- Pence
- Martinez
- Carson
- Daniels
- West
- Sandoval
- Palin

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Pence, West and Martinez, in that order

Flora Duh on February 6, 2014 at 6:44 PM

bw222 on February 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

Athanasius on February 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

His enthusiasm wasn’t much different than any other pick… The pick should have been Rubio while he was still a solid conservative. Or, if Romney wanted to go all in on RINO land Christie. I hate Christie, but Romney would have won with him. Ryan was a non factor. Christie would have carried New Jersey, especially after the storm.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

But, to be specific, he needs to be hog-tied and horse-whipped.

sartana on February 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Hey sparky..:)

“Politics is downstream of popular culture.”

- Andrew Breitbart

idesign on February 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

Then by all means, get her on the next “Jersey Shore” or some such crap.

I won’t be sad to see her polling go even more south.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

bluegill on February 6, 2014 at 6:33 PM

As Gru would say: LIGHTBULB!

captnjoe on February 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Athanasius on February 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

All I really remember from that debate was Biden trying to act like a tough guy and instead coming off like an overly-caffenated jerk.

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 6:46 PM

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Biden was an insane clown, of course, but Ryan sat there like a meek, useless wimp. Ryan’s big moment was supposed to be the debate, when his supposed of powers of communication and his supposed ability to explain complicated issues were going to shine. It didn’t happen. Paul Ryan flopped. The man is overrated. He barely fought back. And his nonstop grin and manner of speed-talking really grates on the nerves after awhile.

bluegill on February 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:39 PM

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA….it’s a Cankles lover!!! Wow, alot of slime came in with this new registration.

BeachBum on February 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Fenris on February 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Well, yes, for starters she is a woman.

She surrounds herself with diverse opinions and cultures. Her travels and background as SecOfSate will really broaden her world view. She can be a president to many from different backgrounds.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Ryan was such a weak VP candidate, the liberal media pretty much ignored him.

bw222 on February 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

And in their one debate, the dumbest man to ever be Vice-President walked all over him.

VorDaj on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

I don’t believe Christie ever would have joined the ticket with Romney. He’s not cut out to ply second banana. And thanks to Sandy, he could sandbag Romney and put himself in play 4 years earlier than he could have as Romney’s VP.

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

If these are the new recruits, I’m puttin my reg on EBAY

rik on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

Hahahaha I work with “hispanics” all day. To a man they hate Hillary. Good luck with that.

captnjoe on February 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Forget members of Congress – I beg you all.

Look to our Governors – I beg you.

jake-the-goose on February 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Dr.B on February 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

Question: What do you call someone who masquerades as a budget hawk but votes for No Child Left Behind, Medicare Part D, TARP, the auto bailout, every debt ceiling increase and negotiates the budget deal with “Ms. Gym Shoes?”

Answer: A fraud.

bw222 on February 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

bluegill on February 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM

…doesn’t take much…does it?

KOOLAID2 on February 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Laughing my ass off at the Kill-bot calling Palin trashy. What do you call a woman who hires people to cover up her husband’s multiple rapes and sexual assaults of other women?

Rational Thought on February 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

“Buzz growing about Mitt Romney and 2016″
Hasn’t he already said no to such a thing? Why would he, anyway? His chance was in 2012, and it’s gone. Better to have someone else.

cpi986 on February 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 6:41 PM

bluegill on February 6, 2014 at 6:47 PM

Exactly why at the time Christie was the right choice. He would have pummeled Biden. I hate his politics, but at the time of the VP selection he was far less of a moderate. Remember when everyone on the right was clamoring for him to get in the race? He would have been the exact sort of attack dog a VP should be. Not a “policy expert” and not someone who “adds to the ticket” but instead someone who can beat down the opponent. Biden has done that well for Obama.

Obviously I dislike Christie now. At the time though Romney really messed up not choosing him.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

Well, yes, for starters she is a woman.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Huma is on HA!!!!

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 6:50 PM

I won’t be sad to see her polling go even more south.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Hey squish..:)

Sarah Palin Most Popular Potential 2016 GOP Candidate

idesign on February 6, 2014 at 6:51 PM

In what way is she [Hillary Rodham) diverse?

Fenris on February 6, 2014 at 6:43 PM

In her lies. They are all over the map.

VorDaj on February 6, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Again, some type of amnesty deal is unfortunately going to be struck before 2016, I believe Allahpundit is 100% correct on that. But, why on earth now? Just keep the focus on the Obamacare mess and the weak economy. No reason risk the midterms on immigration reform that the GOP will not get the bulk of credit for, and which will hand Barack Obama a major second-term achievement when his presidency is at a very weak point

Dr.B on February 6, 2014 at 6:51 PM

She surrounds herself with diverse opinions and cultures.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Oh yea, diverse opinions like that video that caused the Benghazi “protest”.

Four dead and all she can say is “What difference at this point does it make?”

Tell me, how is life being a useful idiot?

captnjoe on February 6, 2014 at 6:52 PM

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:45 PM

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

I think Christie wanted it, and his convention speech along with everything that followed was an angry reaction to not getting it.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Rational Thought on February 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

I know what I call her and it begins with a W. And it’s not Witch although she is that too.

BeachBum on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Well, yes, for starters she is a woman.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

That’s quite a list of qualifications. I’m impressed. You know who is even more impressive in that regard? Caroline Kennedy. You should give her serious consideration.

Fenris on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

captnjoe on February 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

You really think that Hispanics will trip over one another to vote for a Republican? If that’s what you think, you should be applauding Paul Ryan’s push for comprehensive immigration reform (assuming it’s sincere).

I just don’t see it. Republicans have made it clear to Hispanics that they aren’t welcome. This latest debacle with the Coke commercial just proves this.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Forget members of Congress – I beg you all.

Look to our Governors – I beg you.

jake-the-goose on February 6, 2014 at 6:49 PM

And if you can’t find one you like there, then look in the phone book.

VorDaj on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

She surrounds herself with diverse opinions and cultures.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Examples? Is this the same Hilldawg with the faux southern accent? She surrounds herself with no one and hides in a bubble.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

And if you can’t find one you like there, then look in the phone book.

VorDaj on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I’m beginning to think that would work as well as anything.

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Huma is on HA!!!!

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 6:50 PM

…I can’t belive her people bothered to send someone here!

JugEarsButtHurt on February 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Huma is on HA!!!!

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 6:50 PM

You had to bring her into this. Isn’t she a favorite for the tinfoil brigade?

Oh yea, diverse opinions like that video that caused the Benghazi “protest”.

Four dead and all she can say is “What difference at this point does it make?”

Tell me, how is life being a useful idiot?

captnjoe on February 6, 2014 at 6:52 PM

Benghazi, Benghazi, yadda yadda yadda. Even Paul Ryan will probably be smart enough to let that die down.

Fenris on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

I like Caroline, but she doesn’t have near the experience Hillary has (few people on either side do).

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

No, he is just another RINO who doesn’t have a chance of making it past the primaries. I don’t think your beloved .1% of crony capital statist big government establishment GOP sell-outs have to votes to push him through…

conservativeBC on February 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Remember that time Hillary “landed under fire” in Kosovo? That came out in a Democratic primary. Wait till the GOP rips through her record.

Dems have a better shot with Pocahontas Warren, who I despise, but who has a cleaner record than the Madame White Water.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:56 PM

We will not know what Ryan will do, until after the GOP house leadership fight is finished. As for Scott Walker, he is gearing up for a nasty reelection fight in my home state. After that, we’ll see.

flackcatcher on February 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I would vote Paul Ryan as a screw you to the loud mouth Catholic hating Nativists.

Libertarian Militant on February 6, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Well, yes, for starters she is a woman.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

You just lowered the bar for female membership

rik on February 6, 2014 at 6:58 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Well, Huma, you be sure and tell your ugly, drunk, lying, screeching killer of a boss that all of us here at HotAir said “hi”.

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

So, Cankles Fan, please enlighten us about all Shrillary has accomplished? Name some legislation she passed as senator. Name some good treaties she made as Sec of State. …. Looking for Del’s sundial.

BeachBum on February 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Record? Being married to an unfaithful husband who happened to be President is not experience. Being a Senator with no legislative accomplishments is not experience. Overseeing the Arab Spring Fall into chaos is not something to brag about. Benghazi? Awful. But even beyond that what happened to the world while she was Secretary of State has been one of the worst records in US foreign policy history. The slaughter in Syria. The loss of Egypt as an ally. Russian expansion into the Ukraine. Screwing Poland and Israel.

Yeah, experience.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Oh look! We have a member of the Killary Klinton Kamp. You know who else won’t be voting for Republicans? Ambassador Christopher Stevens. And it does, at this point, make a difference. The fat pig can’t ignore the latest case of blood on her hands the way she did when Vince Foster went room temp.

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Examples?

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Well, as you all like to point out, there was Huma Abedin.

The Clintons have also been very good about maintaining their ties with African-Americans in the House, Senate, and in local government.

Plus let’s not forget her connection to Obama.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:01 PM

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

See her when she’s up
See her when she’s down
See her when she drunk
See her when she’s talkin’ southern black all around

Her dirty little Whitewater secrets
Her depraved indifference big Benghazi lies
She’s got her dirty little fingers in everyone dirty pie

VorDaj on February 6, 2014 at 7:02 PM

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

She has the “I’ll say I was shot at by a sniper to burnish my foreign policy cred, when really just a 12 year old girl handed me some flowers” culture going for her.

Flange on February 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

Yes, I’ll give her the experience she has making people end up dead around her. She wipes the mat with everyone in that book.

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Flora Duh on February 6, 2014 at 6:42 PM

…soooooooooo glad to see you again…and what you bring!

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014

…well…you got in…couldn’t you have at LEAST…brought new talking points?
…you’re boring me sleepy already!

JugEarsButtHurt on February 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

She surrounds herself with diverse opinions and cultures.

You people get stupider and more deluded by the hour.

Read Christopher Hitchens’ “No One Left to Lie To.” This is the most inflexibly close-minded and corrupt public official of our time.

Her travels and background as SecOfSate will really broaden her world view.

Like when she was shot at by a sniper?

She can be a president to many from different backgrounds.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Sure, as long as they propitiate to her and her political interests.

Her flameout to Elizabeth Warren in 2016 going to be spectacular.

rrpjr on February 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:55 PM

But what really matters is that she’s a woman and diverse. Caroline has shaken hands with more dignified world leaders than Hillary can even recall.

Fenris on February 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Well, yes, for starters she is a woman.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Bill Clinton hasn’t thought so for at least 20 years.

VorDaj on February 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Examples?

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Well, as you all like to point out, there was Huma Abedin.

Plus let’s not forget her connection to Obama.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:01 PM

You are an argument against the minimum wage because whatever they’re paying you, it’s too much

rik on February 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

BeachBum on February 6, 2014 at 6:59 PM

Keep calling her ugly. Watch the female vote totally go to the Democrats. You think Paul Ryan’s looks are going to matter?

Happy Nomad on February 6, 2014 at 7:00 PM

Beengassy!

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM

If the GOP can (not likely) take the Senate Paul Ryan’s chances at taking a shot would take an “uptick”..Still going to be a reach..:)

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Well, as you all like to point out, there was Huma Abedin.

Plus let’s not forget her connection to Obama.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Now, Huma, it’s rather unbecoming of you to hold yourself up as some kind of tribute to the power of Killary.

But, nonetheless, those aren’t examples of accomplishments. Just connections to others in the Beltway.

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM

The people Paul Ryan most wants to please:
1. His liberal wife
2. His devout Catholic, pro-abortion buddy – Luis Guiterrez
3. The corporatists at the Chamber of Commerce

The GOP rank and file – not so much

bw222 on February 6, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Well, yes, for starters she is a woman.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Bill Clinton hasn’t thought so for at least 20 years.

VorDaj on February 6, 2014 at 7:05 PM

Maybe Billy knows something we don’t

rik on February 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM

Examples?

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 6:53 PM

Well, as you all like to point out, there was Huma Abedin.

Plus let’s not forget her connection to Obama.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:01 PM

Rich government class types are not “diverse.”

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 7:08 PM

…well…you got in…couldn’t you have at LEAST…brought new talking points?
…you’re boring me sleepy already!

JugEarsButtHurt on February 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

My goal is to eventually convert a few of you. Now you know how I feel about Paul Ryan.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM

…well…you got in…couldn’t you have at LEAST…brought new talking points?
…you’re boring me sleepy already!

JugEarsButtHurt on February 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:09 PM

I’m glad you are here. The comedy is enjoyable.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Her flameout to Elizabeth Warren in 2016 going to be spectacular.

rrpjr on February 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Elizabeth or Hillary – America wins either way. I just think Hillary has the upper hand.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM

I see you ignored BeachBum’s question about accomplishments. Says plenty.

And why, oh, why should we elect Hillary when, not only did she fail the Benghazi 4, but she can’t even keep Liz Hurley out of her bed?

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM

But if the Republicans don’t win the Senate, will Republicans write off all GOP legislatures?

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Well, yes, for starters she is a woman.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. I bet you spend a lot of time hanging out at Hertz offices.

bw222 on February 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM

Her flameout to Elizabeth Warren in 2016 going to be spectacular.

rrpjr on February 6, 2014 at 7:04 PM

Elizabeth or Hillary – America The Cherokee Nation wins either way. I just think Hillary has the upper hand.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Emphasis added to corrections.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 7:12 PM