Is Paul Ryan the man to beat in 2016?

posted at 5:41 pm on February 6, 2014 by Allahpundit

Lefty Kevin Drum thinks so. I’m skeptical, but Ryan’s better positioned than we usually give him credit for when we’re kicking around 2016 possibilities.

There’s his steady series of “unheralded” anti-poverty outreach trips that always manage to be just heralded enough to get sympathetic press coverage. He brokered a budget deal with Patty Murray that was businesslike and low-drama but didn’t alienate the tea party crowd too badly. Today, in a hearing about the CBO’s report on Obamacare, he acknowledged that the report didn’t say that employers would be cutting jobs—points for intellectual honesty!—while also calling Obamacare a “poverty trap”—points for demagoguery! This is all stuff that seems very delicately calculated to stay in the good graces of the tea party base while building up plenty of policy substance cred that will keep him attractive to moderate voters.

On the flip side, who are his big competitors? Chris Christie is toast. Marco Rubio is inexperienced to begin with, and then muffed his chance for statesmanlike glory when he staked his reputation on immigration reform and came up empty. Jeb Bush can’t even get his mother’s endorsement. Scott Walker is getting buzz, but he strikes me as having too much baggage. Rand Paul and Ted Cruz are novelty candidates, not to be taken seriously. And although I used to think Bobby Jindal might have a chance, he’s had a rough past couple of years.

When the Des Moines Register polled Iowans just before Christmas on who their favorite Republicans were, number one was — ta da — Paul Ryan. Obviously: On sheer name recognition alone, as the reigning VP nominee he blows most of the rest of the field out of the water. He’s as personally likable as any of his rivals, and he is, technically, now “next in line” in a party that tends to go that route when making hard choices in the primaries. And with Christie now flailing, he’d be primed to pick up some of Romney’s rich friends as donors if he jumped in. Everyone thinks he’d rather stay put and either be Speaker or chairman of Ways and Means, where he could set the agenda on entitlement reform, but there’s a reason he hasn’t ruled out running for president. He’d stand a fair chance at the nomination.

But he’s got problems. One is that he’s not as much of a darling of the base as he was three years ago, when deficit reduction was front and center. Conservatives didn’t like his budget deal and they really don’t like his shilling for Boehner’s amnesty push. If you’ve ruled out Rubio because of his work on the Gang of Eight, why at this point wouldn’t you also rule out Ryan? That’s not an insuperable obstacle for him — he’d be more of a centrist champion if he ran than a tea-party one — but his base is smaller than it used to be. Another obvious problem is that nominating Ryan would bring about the Mediscare apocalypse in the general election as Democrats ramp up into “he wants to kill your grandma” mode. Is 51 percent of our entitlement-loving electorate capable of resisting that pitch? Remember how Ryan didn’t do much talking publicly after being added to the ticket in 2012? There’s a reason for that. Finally, after nominating a senator and then a businessman who briefly served as governor, I think the party wants to nominate a governor who’ll run on his gubernatorial record next time. That’s part of Christie’s appeal to the establishment and a big part of Scott Walker’s appeal to grassroots righties. If you thought Obama governed like an amateur, the pitch will go, then you should vote for someone with executive experience this time.

Key question, then: What’s the case for Ryan over Walker? They’re both low-key Wisconsinites, both young, both with battle scars from their fiscal initiatives. Walker’s win over PEUs is arguably the biggest conservative policy victory since Obama took office, and seems to me increasingly recognized as such. For all his alleged “baggage,” he’s still on track to win reelection in a state where the left and its union allies have been frantic to take him down for the past three years. Ryan’s got him beat in name recognition right now but all governors have to cope with better-known rivals when they first start running. And at this point, Walker has a broader base between centrists and conservatives than Ryan does. What am I missing here?

Update: No joke, guys. I saw it with my own eyes.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2 3 4

Hillary Clinton is the antithesis of ‘diverse’. She is a classic WASP. White Anglo Saxon Protestant.

She is also going to turn 69 years old just before the election. She has allowed herself to become obese and has made no effort to age gracefully.

The base of the LEFT has been conditioned for decades to value youth and sex appeal over age and wisdom.

Hence, the base will not turn out for H.R.Clinton in the numbers they did for Obama.

Hillary Clinton, when questioned regarding the death of four Americans including a US Ambassador in Benghazi, under her direction as Secretary of State, infamously uttered “What difference, at this point, does it make?”

Embroider that sentence on a pillow. This single sentence is going to hang about H.R. Clinton’s neck like an albatross.

H.R. Clinton can boast virtually no major achievement as Secretary of State, and indeed, under her tenure the Middle East became destabilized and is now rife with war and Islamic extremists vying for power. Russia has risen to prominence on the world stage, particularly in the Middle East.

Having been the wife of a two term president is not a legitimate qualification to become president of the United States.

Having been the wife of a governor is not a qualification for becoming president of the United States.

thatsafactjack on February 6, 2014 at 7:51 PM

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM

Bush was a quality human being with bad politics.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM

So name one accomplishment of Hillary as Secretary of State, there are none, or one substantial piece of legislation, crickets,

narciso on February 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 7:40 PM

Let’s be fair, they have Tommy Carcetti Martin O’Malley and Elizabeth Warren…

Hahahaha, I kid I kid. In all seriousness, I’m a little worried about Hillary’s polling numbers vs. potential Republican candidates, but we’ve seen her crumble before. Her weak polling versus Christie (prior to Bridgegate) is a sign that she’s beatable.

The Dems’ best candidate would be Brian Schweitzer, he’s their diamond in the rough, but luckily they’re too gung-ho on the Hillary bandwagon too realize it.

Lawdawg86 on February 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM

When I look at the GOP, I see a lot of names of eager wanna-be-Bushes.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM

LoLz..Bushes??..Is that supposed to be code for the Dems..How long are you Dems going to keep playing that card??..:)

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM

narciso on February 6, 2014 at 7:52 PM

This sock has already been challenged on that, and, SURPRISE, can’t name any.

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 7:56 PM

Lawdawg86

A year of her screeching on the campaign trail will pretty much hand the White House to a republican. That’s why we don’t need to settle for another democrat-in-disguise candidate.

xblade on February 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM

Eh, the Bush family?

That card? How long will you guys keep playing the faux controversy card?

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Lawdawg86 on February 6, 2014 at 7:53 PM

LoLz..Who can for forget the “Indian” princess..:)

PS..Evan Bayh would be their best candidate (Dem) imho..If anyone remembers him..:)

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Wait until williamg gets a load of this troll. lol!

thatsafactjack on February 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM

Rory, is that you, he was the scammer featured in the National Journal, last week;

narciso on February 6, 2014 at 7:59 PM

When I look at the GOP, I see a lot of names of eager wanna-be-Bushes.

HillAREwe

When I look at the Democrat party, I see a lot of candidates running from Obama and lot of folks calling it quits because they know their goose is cooked.

xblade on February 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM

If no one can remember him, maybe he wouldn’t be such a great candidate, eh?

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 8:00 PM

I know it must shock you, but I’m just not a MSNBC type of gal. I mostly like CNN, I’m trying out Al Jazeera. HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:45 PM

I just have to ask-
did you graduate from Harvard Law?

Pless1foEngrish on February 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM

xblade on February 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Yes, and Democrats handing the White House to a Republican is a desirable outcome.

Lawdawg86 on February 6, 2014 at 8:04 PM

That card? How long will you guys keep playing the faux controversy card?

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:57 PM

Faux??..Wow.just.wow..

PS..4 Americans died and Obie and Hillary blamed it on a You tube video!!..I’m sorry but that is not a false controversy to be swept”under the rug”..:(

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 8:06 PM

I just have to ask-
did you graduate from Harvard Law?

Pless1foEngrish on February 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Did you copy and paste that from the others?

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Damn. I wanted to get the Cain Train rolling…

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Heh. The movement to elevate the absurd and ridiculous Herman Cain into a Presidential candidate is one of the more shameful events in recent conservative history, and does much to discredit our movement. I’m sure it was just desperation, but come on. The guy is a clown.

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM

Not to mention undermining that allied government, by going with the lie, and making him lose faith, having it fall to the weaker Zidan regime,

narciso on February 6, 2014 at 8:12 PM

I just have to ask-
did you graduate from Harvard Law?

Pless1foEngrish on February 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM

No. HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM

LOL! Look! He/she thought you were serious! :)

thatsafactjack on February 6, 2014 at 8:14 PM

For Pete’s sake. He won’t win. Just like Romney. Just like McCain. Huckabee is a chump. Santorum needs to fade off into obscurity if he hasn’t already. Bush needs to resign himself to the family ranch. Christie needs to just switch parties. Any true conservative with a real conservative message would wipe the floor with the screaming hag who is constantly ducking sniper fire.

JAGonzo on February 6, 2014 at 8:14 PM

Sometimes I wonder about folks. We all hate career politicians, yet the first thing everybody wants to talk about is “political experience”.

I’ve got a thought experiment for all of you. Pick at random any small business owner. One who knows the Constitution and is follows national and international news. Talk to them about what made this country strong, whats wrong with our government now. I bet you will have a more knowledgeable, honest, capable POTUS than most of the candidates mentioned.

The “big tent” needs to include real American patriots, not just politicians.

captnjoe on February 6, 2014 at 8:17 PM

2012 was the last straw for me.

Nominate a CONSERVATIVE or you don’t get my vote, GOP.

And Paul RINO will NEVER get my vote again.

ConstantineXI on February 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Ryan passes a budget that increases spending over the next two years when, at the end of this month, we are going to reach the debt limit. And he did this on the backs of disabled veterans. And he’s shilling for Amnesty now, even though, in defense of his budget, he said he didn’t want a drawn out standoff because he didn’t want the focus to come off of Obamacare. And Ted Cruz is the joke?

sleroi on February 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM

Elizabeth or Hillary – America wins either way. I just think Hillary has the upper hand.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:10 PM

Win? How? More people out of work? More people out of the work force? More people without insurance? A greater divide between rich and poor? More poverty? More black poverty? More people on food stamps? Higher gas prices? A greater trade deficit? More crushing debt? Greater declines in median income? More class warfare? More people falling out of the middle class? More small businesses closing? More crony-oligarchic corporations with more influence in Washington? A more corrupt DOJ? More IRS persecution of political opponents? More Middle east violence?

Is there one indicator of “America winning” — of security, wealth, opportunity, peace or freedom improving under Progressivism?

What has Hillary Clinton ever done to improve the lot of the American citizen, or any citizen anywhere?

You’re such lost children. In every manifestation through human history, you bring desolation, division and unhappiness.

We will defeat you, Clinton or Warren.

rrpjr on February 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM

I didn’t graduate from Harvard Law School and as a result my IQ went up 42 points.

Dire Straits – Good evening. Good to see you. Excellent post. I agree. It’s all good. It’s all cool. Whatever.

FortyTwo on February 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Short answer: No.

freedomfirst on February 6, 2014 at 8:20 PM

Amen my friend. We’ve kind of slaughtered the Reagan Amendment of “thou shalt not speak ill of thy fellow Republican.” I enjoy a pure candidate, but we can’t knock everyone out of the big tent either.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 7:48 PM

Thanks, but I get no awards for this. I rip on Republicans every single day, so if Reagan’s Rule were the law, I’d be in jail. But when the general election comes around, it’s a very simple binary choice: up or down, yes or no, on or off, forward or backward, Republican or Democrat. And I vote for the Yes/On/Forward/Republican no matter what.

This is why primaries are so important to me. Please Lord, let it not be another worthless RINO like Romney, McCain, Bush I, Bush II, Dole, Ford, or Nixon.

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 8:21 PM

I just have to ask-
did you graduate from Harvard Law?

Pless1foEngrish on February 6, 2014 at 8:01 PM

No. HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM

LOL! Look! He/she thought you were serious! :)

thatsafactjack on February 6, 2014 at 8:14 PM

The correct response should have been:
“Whatinhell are you talking about?!”

My admittedly unsupported suspicions are this poster has a history with
Harvard Law.

Pless1foEngrish on February 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM

rrpjr on February 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Good grief, Dude…don’t feed the trolls.

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 8:23 PM

sleroi on February 6, 2014 at 8:18 PM

The Left (like Drum and this new troll) want to pick our candidates for us. They always tell you who they fear. Hence, PDS turns libs into frothing dogs.

Bitter Clinger on February 6, 2014 at 8:24 PM

If it comes down to Ryan or Walker, Its Walker definitely. I don’t trust Paul Ryan on many issues. His performance in 2012 showed me he is better off right where he is.

shubalstearns on February 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Damn. I wanted to get the Cain Train rolling…

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 7:46 PM

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM

I agree. I was being sarcastic.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM

FortyTwo on February 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM

Good evening..:)

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Did you copy and paste that from the others?

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM

No..I was just stating the facts..:)

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM

Is there someone you guys do like? 2016 is getting closer by the day.

Pickle on February 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM

2014 should be the focus. Lets forget about 2016 for now, we have work to do regarding congress right now.

captnjoe on February 6, 2014 at 8:32 PM

This threads played out… on to Wendy Davis and guns! whooohooo

captnjoe on February 6, 2014 at 8:36 PM

BillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM

You’re one of them bluehairs riding around in your prious,, right?

wolly4321 on February 6, 2014 at 8:41 PM

I agree. I was being sarcastic.

eski502 on February 6, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Yeah…I had that. And welcome.

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 8:45 PM

Rubio is a million times better than Ryan.

besser tot als rot on February 6, 2014 at 8:46 PM

Jaibones on February 6, 2014 at 8:10 PM

All of what you said is true. But, he was still infinitely better than Romney.

(And, as a matter of policy, I think that 999 was horrible – yeah, let’s add a VAT and a sales tax on top of the existing income tax system so that when a Democrat gets in there he can quit messing around with the little bit of screwing us that we’ve gotten so far and he can really f*ck us big time by raising all three types of taxes. Thanks, bud.)

besser tot als rot on February 6, 2014 at 8:49 PM

ROFL…..Ryan? seriously? lol.

unseen on February 6, 2014 at 8:52 PM

Things must really be looking bad when you have a Hillary pusher take the time to register on a conservative blog, to promote Hillary.
Actually, it is quite amusing.

Barred on February 6, 2014 at 8:53 PM

Pless1foEngrish on February 6, 2014 at 8:22 PM

I miss RWM. She’d be having such a good time here today. ;)

thatsafactjack on February 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM

Pickle on February 6, 2014 at 8:31 PM

You haven’t been paying attention.

thatsafactjack on February 6, 2014 at 9:09 PM

Romney/Ryan – 2016
Let’s try that again…

joeyangtree on February 6, 2014 at 9:22 PM

miss RWM. She’d be having such a good time here today. ;) thatsafactjack on February 6, 2014 at 9:07 PM

+1000.

Really miss her. I couldn’t keep up with all the learning being thrown my way.

wolly4321 on February 6, 2014 at 9:23 PM

ROFL…..Ryan? seriously? lol.

unseen on February 6, 2014 at 8:52 PM

My sentiments exactly.

shubalstearns on February 6, 2014 at 9:44 PM

Mr. Immigration?

Um, no.

beatcanvas on February 6, 2014 at 9:45 PM

Maybe if he can learn how to debate one on one. I mean, losing to Biden? C’mon. The guys supposed to have the facts. And he doesn’t go in for the kill.

WryTrvllr on February 6, 2014 at 10:06 PM

WryTrvllr on February 6, 2014 at 10:06 PM

Ryan does n’t have it in him. He is a policy wonk not a presidential candidate. The GOP would be making a huge mistake if they nominated him. But, hey, look at their record so far: Bush, Dole, Bush, McCain, Romney. I would n’t be surprised if the establishment backed him in 2016.

shubalstearns on February 6, 2014 at 10:13 PM

When I look at the GOP, I see a lot of names of eager wanna-be-Bushes.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM

You are looking at names that the media wants to run
in 2016…

When I look at the Democrat Party I see a bunch of
condescending Jackazzes who don’t want to be held
accountable for their actions, or rhetoric..

..and they rely on people such as yourself to vote for them,
and a media to Cheerlead for them…

You stated that Obama was elected Twice by the
“rest of the Nation”
GWB was elected twice by the “Rest of the Nation”

So we’re even now aren’t we??

Jack Lords Hair on February 6, 2014 at 10:23 PM

Paul Ryan can’t beat the media. Ted Cruz and Rand Paul can.

newarker on February 6, 2014 at 11:32 PM

Keep calling her ugly.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:06 PM

Well, to be fair… most witches are.

dominigan on February 7, 2014 at 12:39 AM

“Marco Rubio is inexperienced to begin with, and then muffed his chance for statesmanlike glory when he staked his reputation on immigration reform and came up empty”

That’s almost right but his problem isn’t that the amnesty bill failed. Rubio muffed his chance when he signed on as Chuck Schumer’s puppet to tout yet another amnesty bill to conservatives.

Nomas on February 7, 2014 at 8:19 AM

Ryan and Rubio have no chance because of their “amnesty” positions on immigration. If the Republicans don’t nominate a conservative governor…Hillary wins and the country loses…because the Dems will probably win back at least the Senate on her coattails. The key is to nominate a conservative governor who has a solid record of accomplishment so the case can be made that we don’t need to suffer through a second president with no relevant experience.

ScottiesRule on February 7, 2014 at 8:25 AM

Paul Ryan doesn’t have a snowball’s chance in hell of being the nominee. Mitt Romney will definitely NOT run again ( and I don’t blame him one bit for saying kiss my ass to Republicans!). Scott Walker might have a chance. Chris Christie is toast.

mountainaires on February 7, 2014 at 8:30 AM

The Dems are going to gift wrap the 2016 election for us by nominating Hillary. Let’s not turn right around and give it back to them by nominating anyone from Congress..especially any of the RINO types.

ScottiesRule on February 7, 2014 at 8:37 AM

I will cast my vote for someone with executive experience, preferably as a Governor of a State.

Not a Senator.

I do like Cruz, Lee, Paul and a few others and they are doing the Yeoman’s work in the legislative branch and we need more like them there. Their prime role is to show that you can be conservative or libertarian and NOT be sucked into the bucket o’ stupid that is the DC mentality. They are good role models and need to be reinforced, not yanked out for a Presidential run: we need people like this to start ripping old fashioned, 20th century bills to pieces and putting in legislation that can be understood outside of government.

That leaves a small handful of Governors and retired Governors to choose from. And a lot of them get scratched off due to their policies they promoted while in office.

The Elite Republicans are pushing Jeb and I am not voting for a dynasty nor a dynasty-wannabe. The Bush family needs to do other things and get the hell out of politics for a few centuries. I might vote for someone with an Adams name, they have left the limelight long enough to end dynastic worries… no Roosevelts or Kennedys and the Clintons are wannabe dynastic types. Now is a good time for them to go do something else for a change as families.

ajacksonian on February 7, 2014 at 9:00 AM

I would suggest you get together with your republican friends and study the field.

For me, being a governor is a real qualification, and looking around Mike Pense has the background, philosophy and now he has the experience I would be looking for. I don’t KNOW how they feel in Indiana.

I still love, Ryan and Rubio and Rand, despite the hiccups, and I was impressed to see Cruz on his feet in the mock filibuster, so impressed in fact. These men are not yet 50 years old, and I think that 50 should be the new “35 yrs,” of our founding.

There is so much useful that these men could do for America if they don’t get wound up in the Ego of seeking the presidency. For one thing, Rand should serve as Governor of Kentucky, their state is falling apart under the democrat gov they let happen.

And Texas? Such an important state. Cruz should take a turn as governor there. Rubio = Florida. The governorship is important to real people…just ask normal Virginians what they think of Terry Clinton-Obama’s 60 parties and 60 days theme.

Huck should be running for Senate not President, or return to governing in Arkansas. Sarah should be looking for real work instead of what she is doing nowadays.

Santorum is not helping now, although he has reappeared on tv.

And Mrs. Clinton??? She is not helping, she is letting the country suffer when she could open her mouth NOW and tell Obama what to do differently. If she is silent we should BLAME her for not correcting him, she can’t run and say she would be entirely different, if she lets the country suffer for 3 more years. She has a softball right now that she could hit out of the park in Clinton fashion and fool us all.

Fleuries on February 7, 2014 at 9:28 AM

She surrounds herself with diverse opinions and cultures. Her travels and background as SecOfSate will really broaden her world view. She can be a president to many from different backgrounds.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 6:48 PM

Oh Yeah!!!That’s what I want diversity!!! No, I want unity and it doesn’t come from some woman that rides on the coattails of her husband and hasn’t accomplished anything on her own!! As a woman, I find this offensive. Stop gender or racial political endorsements!!! Just because she is a woman doesn’t mean diversity, what a crock!!!This country is in dire need of unity after the last 5 crappy years of racial divide with The One!!!!

Lynken on February 7, 2014 at 9:54 AM

People, Fox is not a friend of the Reagan Conservatives.

They and the rest of the elite moderates will continue to push Christie/Romney/Bush/Ryan until one of them gets the nomination…….unless the Reagan Conservatives rally around 1 candidate ASAP.

Walker and Jindal are still question marks as whether their allegiance is to the elites or to the base.

Palin/Cruz/Paul/Newt. Your standard bearer of the Reagan Revolution will come from one of these.

And, the only way we will be able to defeat the elites is if we go into Iowa solidly behind one of these candidates.

If we don’t unite, we are probably looking at another Clinton presidency and the collapse of the Union.

ReaganCajun on February 7, 2014 at 9:56 AM

Romney/Rice 2016. This ticket can beat Hillary/whoever. I rather that establishment ticket than Crispy Creme Christie. I don’t like that guy. Romney at least is competent, a descent man, and has experience running for office. I’m just saying. But I can definitely support Walker. I will not support Christie or Paul or Bush. Rubio? Meh, rather have Cruz. Santorum can’t win. Jindal? Where is he? No buzz. Perry, I could support, but he’s just not slick enough with media. Ryan cannot win and I bet won’t run. Just not someone you put on the top of ticket IMHO.

milemarker2020 on February 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM

RINO’s on Immigration – RINO’s remind me of bugs flying towards a buglight. They know that it will kill them because they have seen their fellow bugs fly into one, but yet they are still mesmerized by the light as though they are the one who has the ability to fly into it and some how survive it. Immigration is a poisonous issue for Republicans and this country, because the correct laws on how to handle it are already in place. Any effort to modify our laws to benefit those already here will continue the path of destruction our country is on.

Paul Ryan has stuck himself into the field on this issue and in my opinion is no longer taken seriously. As for Ryan’s handling of the budget deal with Patty Murray not hurting him, I disagree. It may not have been registered in the news all that big, because there were other issues that were more important taking up the air. What he did there will come back to haunt him when he least expects it and it will be at an important time.

Nat George on February 7, 2014 at 10:19 AM

When I look at the GOP, I see a lot of names of eager wanna-be-Bushes.

HillAREwe on February 6, 2014 at 7:49 PM

That’s it?

I guess we could say all we see from dems is a bunch of Pelosi wannabe’s…

So you are best liberal debater that signed up, this is the quality to get to kick around for a few weeks until you resign in shame?

Good grief…here let me repeat your fantastic post…

When I look at the GOP, I see a lot of names of eager wanna-be-Bushes.

HHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!! Keep posting you are F’in brilliant….

right2bright on February 7, 2014 at 10:40 AM

milemarker2020 on February 7, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Romney got beat by a man with one of the worst economic records in history, who was AWOL when an ambassador was killed, has a series of “bailouts” that were ludicrous, except for the amount wasted…and Romney couldn’t pull it off.

He is damaged goods, supported by a fervent few, mainly his Mormon base, who abandoned him and any “grassroots” work that had to be done.

Let’s move on, however, that being said, I want every capable Republican to throw their hat in the ring and take on the dems…I want the dems to spend and spend and spend…

I don’t want Romney as the eventual candidate, but I want him in their fighting…and I mean fighting, not like he did last time, rolling over.

right2bright on February 7, 2014 at 10:46 AM

You RINOcrats are really desperate to get traction for one of your anointed ones.But not one of them is getting any looks except from yourselves.Christie,Jeb,Ryan-oh I’m sure y’all would just love one of them to be your nominee.But they won’t be ours-and will lose just like McCain and Romney.Ryan’s penchant for Democrat type budgets and amnesty have done the traitor in.Y’all just don’t seem to get it,or you just don’t care,but for an increasing # of conservatives-we will stay home if a RINO is nominated again!

redware on February 7, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Man to beat? Yeah, with a heavy club.

rcl on February 7, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Ryan couldn’t even stand up to slow Joe Biden in the debates. The guy’s an excellent loser so naturally he’s a lock for the next GOP presidential candidate.

KF Peters on February 7, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Everybody wants a quick fix and someone who is, in their minds, ideologically “pure.” Of course everyone also has their own definition of “pure” and what constitutes “fix.”

Politics has proven itself to me over the last 60+ years to be the art of the “Possible,” not the ideal. The Constitution was drafted with this in mind…at least it seems so to me.

There are two considerations most important in the operation of government; 1) don’t spend more than you take in; and 2) use that money to make the citizens safer.

I consider the first element (living within our means) as important for our government as it is for me. Forget the idiocy of their being able to print money and govern their own credit. That is anathema to me…grounds for impeachment for every elected official who approves it and/or votes for it. It is the road to ruin.

Because of my concern for this area, Ryan is my preference. He would stop (if we empower him by giving him a majority in both houses of Congress) the growth of our debt, demand and enforce the need for a responsible budget for each and every year, and make the government arrange for the payment of the costs of any government program.

Some argue that he doesn’t do it fast enough. Fast doesn’t guarantee success. Everyone wants a good, fast, cheap job…however you can only have two out of three. Cataclysmic changes are not good…better to do it slowly so you can check for and correct unintended consequences. My analogy is changing lanes on a Highway…do it slowly, and even if there is a car in your blind spot, he has time to honk and you can avoid disaster; change lanes fast and you have an accident.

If we are required to live within our means, then the political process can be depended on to reflect how those means should be used. I won’t always agree with the choices made, but I can live with them as long as we don’t spend more than we take in. If Government wants a program that requires a tax increase, so be it; I have confidence that the voting public will move at election time to either approve or reject the choice made by their representatives.

Ryan has a proven track record that I trust. He has a personal life that I trust. He has a concentrated interest in the financial well-being of this country that I trust and identify with.

All of the others seem too young, or too “quick” or to “certain” of being “right.” Certainty is the sign of ignorance and, often, stupidity. When you claim all the answers, it is a certainty that you don’t really know any of the answers.

For me, Ryan represents adult government with ability and honesty.

TKPedersen42 on February 7, 2014 at 11:37 AM

TKPedersen42 on February 7, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Ideologically pure? Are you kidding? The guy can’t even say what
he stands for! He froze against Biden. He voted for Tarp, voted
To fund Obamacare, is pushing amnesty which only 3% of
Americans support. Paul, is that you?

Brock Robamney on February 7, 2014 at 11:49 AM

I like Paul Ryan. He seems earnest. The real thing.

Not bogus. Which is a nice change.

CHANGE!!!!

thejackal on February 7, 2014 at 2:32 PM

I think Ryan is angling for the Speakership more so than the Presidency. Doesn’t really strike me as the executive type. Remember that no matter how popular or powerful you are, making the jump from the House to the Oval Office is an extreme long shot.

royal flush on February 7, 2014 at 5:41 PM

It’s too early to speculate on presidential wanna-be’s.
Let’s see who steps out of right field. More then any other quality, we conservatives need to find another great communicator.

rob t on February 7, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Dire Straits on February 6, 2014 at 7:58 PM

There’s not a snowball’s chance in h#ll that Bayh could be the modern face of the party of Marx.

Franklin100 on February 7, 2014 at 10:43 PM

PAUL OPEN BORDERS RYAN???

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLOLO LOLOOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

BWWWWWHHHHHAAAAAHHWWWWWAAAAAABBBBBWWWWWHHHAAAWAWAAAAAHHHHAAAAAA

He couldn’t even beat Joe Biden in a debate!!!

PappyD61 on February 8, 2014 at 12:00 AM

Paul Ryan became addicted to he attention when he was the veep candidate and he can’t seem to get off the stage.

He has proven himself to be more of a lightweight than I could have imagined.

Consulting with Chuck Schumer on immigration. Lord help us.

Lee Jan on February 8, 2014 at 8:06 AM

Paul Ryan / Mitt Romney will NEVER get my vote. Period.

Conservchik on February 8, 2014 at 12:20 PM

Paul Ryan, Marco Rubio and Drudge are responsible for the GOP loss in 2012. Their paternalistic comments that the “race should end” deflated the Santorum chance to win Wisconsin. I will never vote for Ryan or Rubio in a primary as they clearly had their own interests in mind by endorsing Mitt Romney- a guy who could never win. Even this political novice could figure that out.

mkp03 on February 8, 2014 at 12:42 PM

Ryan has failed before at the national level, by not destroying Biden – a very weak opponent. He hasn’t done anything since he faced down Obama over the president’s evident ignorance of the country’s finances in that farcical Obama faux-negotiation/ beer summit/ prayer-breakfast/ finance drama workshop.

Ryan’s interim budget kick-the-can-down-the-road agreements are not leadership.

Let’s stop worrying about Huckabee and other might-have-beens. No more Romney retrospectives, please.

Paul, Cruz, Lee, Sessions, Gowdy, Christie and Walker have all shown leadership, with Walker the only one able to prove that he can execute on conservative policies. Haven’t we had enough of representatives thinking they know how to run large organizations?

virgo on February 8, 2014 at 5:12 PM

If Ryan, or any of the other softies that the GOPe have been pushing, is the nominee in 2016, then I will either write in my dog’s name or not vote for president at all, and that is a promise I mean to keep even should, by some diabolical act, Obama run for a 3rd consecutive term. My vote goes to a pro-liberty (not pro-license or pro-statism) candidate, or none at all. I won’t allow myself to be guilted into voting for another liberty-lite squish come hell or high water. I expect the opportunity to vote for someone that measures up well to Ted Cruz, Sarah Palin, or Allen West, or this Republican will begin making donations to the Texas secessionist movement.

TXJenny on February 8, 2014 at 5:50 PM

Paul Ryan was the hero of HotAir for the 2012 ticket. He was a statist then and he’s a statist now. Most of you guys were right about one thing, Paul. It just should have ben Ron Paul, not Paul Ryan.

air_up_there on February 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM

…there’s good and bad in everyone… – Ebony and Ivory.

bill glass on February 9, 2014 at 10:03 AM

No, he couldn’t even carry his own state in 2012.

ezspirit on February 9, 2014 at 10:13 AM