Video: ObamaCare disincentivizes work … by doctors

posted at 10:41 am on February 5, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Yesterday, the White House cheered the CBO report on ObamaCare, which it said would eliminate 2.3 million full-time-equivalent jobs from the economy, as progress on removing the incentives to remain wage slaves, or something. Disincentivizing work seems to be a rather large feature in ObamaCare — one that includes a lot more physicians than some people have been led to believe, especially in California. Patients showing up in provider offices expecting in-network service have begun getting a rude awakening:

Aliso Viejo resident Danielle Nelson said Anthem Blue Cross promised half a dozen times that her oncologists would be covered under her new policy. She was diagnosed last year with non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma and discovered a suspicious lump near her jaw in early January.

But when she went to her oncologist’s office, she promptly encountered a bright orange sign saying that Covered California plans are not accepted.

“I’m a complete fan of the Affordable Care Act, but now I can’t sleep at night,” Nelson said. “I can’t imagine this is how President Obama wanted it to happen.”

Nelson isn’t alone:

Maria Berumen, a tax preparer in Downey, was uninsured for years because of preexisting conditions. The 53-year-old was thrilled to find coverage for herself and her husband for $148 a month after qualifying for a big government subsidy.

She jumped at the chance in early January to visit a primary-care doctor for long-running numbness in her arm and shoulder as a result of bone spurs on her spine. The doctor referred her to a specialist, and problems ensued. At least four doctors wouldn’t accept her health plan — even though the state exchange website and her insurer, Health Net Inc., list them as part of her HMO network.

“It’s a phantom network,” Berumen said.

It was no surprise to her family doctor, Ragaa Iskarous. She has run into this problem repeatedly with other patients in the last month, the doctor said. “This is really driving us crazy.”

Maybe some of these doctors also wanted time to become artists, dancers, and cowboy poets, eh? At the very least, they’re not interested in getting locked into systems where reimbursements don’t cover their costs. The only people that should be surprised by the incompetence, dishonesty, and disincentives are those who truly bought the utopian idea that central control and removal of normal market incentives would deliver paradise.

Comments

Does DeathCare cover late-onset mental retardation, because there seem to be a lot of people who are suffering from that malady, specifically 51% of those who voted in the last two presidential elections.

Bishop on February 5, 2014 at 10:45 AM

What a clusterfark…

OmahaConservative on February 5, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Don’t worry, the economy will save the Dems.

NotCoach on February 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM

doctors don’t take the plans cause they don’t get paid.

next step….force doctors to take patient or go to jail.

hopey changey

renalin on February 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM

Auto-play videos are the spawn of Satan.

NotCoach on February 5, 2014 at 10:48 AM

If you look up the definition of moron in the dictionary you will just see a picture of this woman.

Mark1971 on February 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Somehow, I can’t muster much sympathy for your problems sweetie.

Somebody else is paying for you and you don’t seem to be the least bit sorry that you’re a parasite.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 10:49 AM

“I’ve got a pen! I’ve also got a domestic security force armed with AK’s who will be stationed at every hospital and clinic to make sure doctors are treating people fairly!”

-Hugo Obama

Bishop on February 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Well, maybe if you’d listened to conservatives warning you over the last four years that this was coming, instead of calling them racist tea baggers, you wouldn’t be in this position.

Chris of Rights on February 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

Our work of redistributing people into the middle class marches forward!

/libfreeordie

gwelf on February 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

and then hotair will run out of material to bash the President on…that’s what you’re really afraid of, right?

nonpartisan on November 19, 2013 at 4:47 PM

But these Obamacare posts are about whistling past the graveyard, by next Novemeber Democrats will be openly running on the ACA. Mark my words.

libfreeordie on December 20, 2013 at 10:14 AM

Chris of Rights on February 5, 2014 at 10:50 AM

At some point can we just call the Dem’s and Obama stupid? I would like to the it’s that we are smart as conservative Republican’s, however I think it’s more of a case of liberal Democrats just being stupid.

Tater Salad on February 5, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Auto-play videos are the spawn of Satan.

NotCoach on February 5, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Ghostery is the anti-Satan.

Bishop on February 5, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Embrace The Suck!

Electrongod on February 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Good luck with the cancer. Savor the fruits of your own stupidity, woman.

And thanks for allowing the rest of us who DIDN’T vote for that malevolent America-hater to savor them too.

Cicero43 on February 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM

Nelson said. “I can’t imagine this is how President Obama wanted it to happen.”

Typical low information voter… just like the brain-dead liberals that roam this site.

It’s a shame this person believed Obama’s lies instead of investigating it for themselves. I’ve been in the healthcare industry a few years and we all saw this coming with the law.

(Psst… and this is exactly how Obama wanted it to happen… he got everything he asked for… the law passed, the funding, everything.)

dominigan on February 5, 2014 at 10:54 AM

No whining….

cmsinaz on February 5, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Nelson said. “I can’t imagine this is how President Obama wanted it to happen.”

“We have to pass this to find out what’s in it.”

Maybe if you fools had demanded more of the pinheads trying to sell you a magical elixer you wouldn’t now have a worthless bottle of iodine-tinted water.

You helped dig this hole, so smooth the sides really nice and enjoy the smell of the loam.

Bishop on February 5, 2014 at 10:59 AM

the only people that should be surprised by the incompetence, dishonesty, and disincentives are those who truly bought the utopian idea that central control and removal of normal market incentives would deliver paradise.

Soooo the entire Democrat party then?

Gatsu on February 5, 2014 at 11:00 AM

My former neurologist quit his practice and moved back to india because there are fewer bureaucratic regulations imposed by ObamaCare. He’ll live like a king in Hyderabad.

simkeith on February 5, 2014 at 11:01 AM

Just wait until the employer mandates kick in, and millions more are forced onto the government exchanges that also excludes/ends the doctor/patient relationship—”What do you mean I can’t keep it? My President promised!”

Rovin on February 5, 2014 at 11:02 AM

F’ing idiot. It is what Dear Liar wanted. We warned you. Deal with your problem.

rbj on February 5, 2014 at 11:03 AM

OT – you can’t make this up – Goebbelian executive orders on ‘climate change’

Schadenfreude on February 5, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I know what I will do if I am in a similar situation:

1. Calculate whether paying the “highly subsidized” insurance payment exceeds the cost of the tax penalty for not having health insurance. If it is less, pay for the “insurance.” If it is more, pay the tax.

2. Go to the doctor of my choice. Tell that doctor I have no insurance and wish to pay cash. Point out that since there is no insurance paperwork it should cost the doctor less and ask for a cash discount.

The dirty little secret of health insurance is that it imposes tremendous costs on doctors. In most cases if you have a high-cost, high-deductible, limited-benefit insurance policy you are better off paying cash, and skip using the insurance.

Think you cannot afford cash? Talk to your doctor about price. Negotiate. Find out what your old insurance really paid the doctor and offer that. Or dicker for a discount because less paperwork is involved. And ultimately, what is more expensive? Paying cash money or going without treatment and dying.

No Truce With Kings on February 5, 2014 at 11:10 AM

…instead of eating dog…she has to eat shit!…put ketchup on it!

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Please stop the auto run video!

I hope you live long enough to realize the horror you have perpetrated on the rest of us.

dogsoldier on February 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM

You can’t fix STUPID!

GarandFan on February 5, 2014 at 11:15 AM

…instead of eating dog…she has to eat shit!…put ketchup on it!

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Ketchup doesn’t make it taste any better.

Not that I…you know…just forget I said anything.

Bishop on February 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM

doctors don’t take the plans cause they don’t get paid.
next step….force doctors to take patient or go to jail.
hopey changey
renalin on February 5, 2014 at 10:47 AM

PUH-LEASE… THAT’S SO MELODRAMATIC AND DRACONIAN.

It’s much more likely they’ll just make it an ongoing medical license requirement. If you can’t treat everyone equally regardless of ‘insurance’, you don’t deserve to be a doctor.
And those loans for med school? You’ll pay them back in full NOW.

See, that’s much more carroty than sticky.

Marcola on February 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I have to say that while this is just a small view, I proctor the MCAT and there is no shortage of people taking it. So either they are real humanitarians or still plan on making a good living.

Cindy Munford on February 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM

Every voter who cast for Obama/Obamacare had all the information available to them before they made that disasterous decision, but they rejected the information and persisted with their disasterous action anyway (voted for Obama/Obamacare).

I wrote a great deal years ago about what would almost certainly transpire if Obamacare ever came to be and now, look: everything I estimated would happen, “if,” has happened.

All that advice was ridiculed by those eager to gain more at the cost of so many others, and, in my estimation also, who were motivated by their own vanity and Obama’s patent, disgusting vanity.

It’s difficult to feel sorry for those who wanted Obamacare then who are today expressing reservations. That they still won’t hold Obama responsible for the wretched conditions he so intentionally pushed on others is just more reason not to feel sorry for him, his supporters. They’re going to any lengths to blame others for their own monstrous depravity.

Physician shortages are but a part of what I estimated would happen, “if”. It’s a gateway problem that Obama/his supporters will continue to exploit, however, to demand physicians work for the state, if not already.

Lourdes on February 5, 2014 at 11:21 AM

There’s no quality remaining about the Democrats, about Obama the individual and especially as President, that withholds judgement of them/him as Communists. What they’re after is a crippling of the USA as a Constitutional Republic with a Capitalist economy. It’s Communism, dictatorship via celebrity idol or committee, that the Dems are after.

Lourdes on February 5, 2014 at 11:22 AM

memo to nelson: He couldn’t care less about you. He lied. He always lies, and you are too damned stupid to see it. How many will die before you wake up?…

dogsoldier on February 5, 2014 at 11:12 AM

I can’t decide which is worse: Obama as delusional — believes what he says as defined as good, beneficial, great, etc. — or that he intentionally deceives others that his plans, intentions and actions are such when they are so clearly not.

Which is worse, an evil man deluded he is doing good things or an evil man pretending that evil is good? Both are awful especially when that man is in the Presidency.

Lourdes on February 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

Apparently Covered California asked doctors if they would participate months before telling them that they would only be reimbursed at the Medicaid rate, even for any other insurance.

So 70% of doctors in California aren’t participating, but are still listed as participating doctors.

Which made Covered California look good initially, when they reported such high enrollment of providers. And now they look bad as people find out the high enrollment of doctors was never really true.

But take hear! You have to expect the little glitches in a brand new program that’s only … uhhhh …

Ed –
You mean the websites aren’t working perfectly on day one two three four five six seven eight nine ten eleven twelve thirteen fourteen fifteen sixteen seventeen eighteen nineteen twenty twenty-one twenty-two twenty-three twenty-four twenty-five twenty-six twenty-seven twenty-eight twenty-nine thirty thirty-one thirty-two thirty-three thirty-four thirty-five thirty-six thirty-seven thirty-eight thirty-nine forty forty-one forty-two forty-three forty-four forty-five forty-six forty-seven forty-eight forty-nine fifty fifty-one fifty-two fifty-three fifty-four fifty-five fifty-six fifty-seven fifty-eight fifty-nine sixty sixty-one sixty-two sixty-three sixty-four sixty-five sixty-six sixty-seven sixty-eight sixty-nine seventy seventy-one seventy-two seventy-three seventy-four seventy-five seventy-six seventy-seven seventy-eight seventy-nine eighty eighty-one eighty-two eighty-three eighty-four eighty-five eighty-six eighty-seven eighty-eight eighty-nine ninety ninety-one ninety-two ninety-three ninety-four ninety-five ninety-six ninety-seven ninety-eight ninety-nine one hundred one hundred one one hundred two one hundred three one hundred four one hundred five one hundred six one hundred seven one hundred eight one hundred nine one hundred ten one hundred eleven one hundred twelve one hundred thirteen one hundred fourteen one hundred fifteen one hundred sixteen one hundred seventeen one hundred eighteen one hundred nineteen one hundred twenty one hundred twenty-one one hundred twenty-two one hundred twenty-three one hundred twenty-four one hundred twenty-five one hundred twenty-six one hundred twenty-seven one hundred twenty-eight
verbaluce on October 1, 2013 at 10:18 AM

(H/T NotCoach)

on its 128th day.

There Goes the Neighborhood on February 5, 2014 at 11:28 AM

Cindy Munford on February 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I’d think there’s still a lot of momentum going on – people who have had a vision/desire for years to become doctors. They know intellectually it will be different in the future, but they still want to give it a shot. The mercenaries, of course, hope there will still be enough $$$ in it for a nice house and a Porsche (or whatever’s popular).

Marcola on February 5, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Democrats must face facts that Nancy Pelosi is almost certainly insane.

Here she was in 2012:

Nancy Pelosi lies about Obamacare

Lourdes on February 5, 2014 at 11:30 AM

Bishop on February 5, 2014 at 11:18 AM

…the stupidity of people…just amazes me…and they have had years of warning!

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2014 at 11:31 AM

Lourdes on February 5, 2014 at 11:26 AM

You are 100% correct.

This is a man who always places his ego ahead of the lives of others. He’s killed a lot of people. He will kill many more.

dogsoldier on February 5, 2014 at 11:38 AM

I’m half tempted to root out Danielle Nelson’s email address and send her a nice instructional message on how to remove the stupid.

Defenestratus on February 5, 2014 at 11:43 AM

But now people can get insurance. For free….
Even illegals…er the undocumented….unfortunate….
It’s gonna cost less than using the emergency room……
Blah Blah Blah
The good news is that people no longer have to move to California to experience how wonderful it is.
This Utopia is now available Nationwide!

LeftCoastRight on February 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM

It should be completely obvious that, one way or another, most doctors will be forced to accept patients that are enrolled in these plans.

justltl on February 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM

It is the knowledge that there were more voters like this that reelected the fool than that bit the bullet to vote for Romney that led me to shout from the rooftops LET IT BURN after the election. Hope she learns that elections have consequences and that she voted for this in the time she has left on this earth. But I doubt she will. More likely she will blame someone else for her problems.

txmomof6 on February 5, 2014 at 11:53 AM

justltl on February 5, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Dream on. There is no such thing as a free lunch and slavery was outlawed in this country by the 13th Amendment.

txmomof6 on February 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Go ahead and stop losing sleep, Dear OCare fan, just send a letter to your Dear Leader an I’m sure he will fix you right up.

climbnjump on February 5, 2014 at 11:56 AM

And California will continue to elect Democrats. You get what you pay for.

COgirl on February 5, 2014 at 12:11 PM

These peoples’ delusions are so strong that in the face of death, they still defend Obama and Obamacare. It is baffling.

besser tot als rot on February 5, 2014 at 12:28 PM

Repeat after me… Health insurance does not equal health care!!

azblondie on February 5, 2014 at 12:29 PM

txmomof6 on February 5, 2014 at 11:55 AM

Actually, They will just concoct some crime and then pass sentence:

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Section 2. Congress shall have power to enforce this article by appropriate legislation.[1]

affenhauer on February 5, 2014 at 12:36 PM

Here, I’ll solve the health care “crisis” that lead to this disaster.

1.Put an end to the ever present threat of malpractice suits. All doctors are terrified of getting sued because of the emotional and financial grief involved. All doctors therefore practice defensive medicine. Let me repeat- all doctors practice defensive medicine. I would very conservatively estimate that well over half of all studies that are ordered are defensive. I would conservatively estimate that, overall, the cost of medicine could easily be halved by doc’s not being forced to practice defensive medicine. At this point, much of this defensive medicine has become the standard of care, rather than anything rational. Here’s an example. Go to the ER and complain of a headache. After the doc evaluates you clinically, the odds of you having a brain tumor or anything serious might be vanishingly small in reality and in the doc’s judgement. But, the chances are that you are going to get a head CT or even an MRI just to be sure. As a doc, you do not want to risk the one in a whatever chance of missing a serious diagnosis and getting sued.
Encourage docs to practice cost-effective medicine. They all know how to actually do this.

2.Get rid of most of the absurd “paperwork” being done by docs . Much of it is done because of the fear of malpractice suits, but most of it nowadays is mandated by insurance companies and the government. I would bet that well over 50% of docs’ time (very conservative estimate) is spent on documentation and “paperwork” that is of little actual benefit to patients. It is not cost-effective or even sensical to pay docs to be stenographers or transcriptionists.
Furthermore, docs have to have massive staffs just to deal with billing and insurance issues, which drives up costs.

3.Give docs at least a little carrot to see uninsured and indigent patients. Maybe let them write off on their taxes the unpaid care provided. Most docs probably still have some humanitarian spark inside of them that would make them happy to provide care for the uninsured and indigent, especially again, if there was some reasonable assurance that they would not get sued for doing so. Do you see a theme here?

4.Get the government out of covering health care. If the government was involved in providing apples for everyone, the cost of an apple would be a bazillion dollars and the quality of apples would decline. Ultimately, when the cost of medical plummets because of the above, you can get insurance companies out of the business of covering routine office visits and such.

5.If you are still left with people that can’t get quality medical care despite all the extra resources yielded by the above, then concentrate on a rational method to get them care, rather than destroying an entire system under the guise of accomplishing that.

Seriously, this entire issue could be easily solved in a day, if people actually wanted to solve the real issues.

Forgive the lack of eloquence and detail. I typed this on the fly, but the basic ideas are there.

justltl on February 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Positive side effect of the ACA? All of Obama’s sycophantic supporters will slowly die off as they try to get health care with their subsidized cut rate insurance that isn’t accepted anywhere.

Unfortunately side effect: We’ll all have to sign up for this monstrosity at some point or another.

Wife is starting her practice as cash-only btw. No insurance accepted. Medicaid and Medicare need not apply either.

Defenestratus on February 5, 2014 at 12:43 PM

The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers…

affenhauer on February 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM

I am a medical sub specialist.
Our group is not accepting new enrollees through ACA.

Because consequences.

orangemtl on February 5, 2014 at 12:50 PM

There’s your first mistake – capitalizing president and obama.

Your second is even considering referring to it as anything other than obamacare.

Lanceman on February 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM

So, let’s see… Obamacare collects taxes, fees and money for 3 1/2 years upfront to help bamboozle justify Ponsi scheme fund the “Affordable HealthCare Act before providing any benefits, and then when benefits are available, Obamacare continues to strike>bamboozle justify Ponsi scheme fund itself by collecting all that money while not letting anyone see a doctor. Brilliant financial solution to the country’s national debt and annual deficit!

parke on February 5, 2014 at 1:01 PM

Seriously, this entire issue could be easily solved in a day, if people actually wanted to solve the real issues…

justltl on February 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Yes, so true. It’s beyond understanding from any sane, logical perspective WHY government launches such utter disasters when the solutions to the contrary are as obvious as pie.

Lourdes on February 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM

Dear Mr. Bertolini,

With a deep sense of sadness, I must inform you that I will no longer serve as a physician for Aetna patients under the terms of our contractual agreement, which you most recently unilaterally changed.

I have been privileged and honored to care for thousands of patients covered by Aetna policies since the 1990’s. I have devoted my life to providing the very best, state-of-the-art care to these individuals. We have formed a patient-doctor relationship, which I hope many will chose to continue in spite of my severing ties with Aetna. You see, health insurance has evolved such that insurers and government have inserted themselves smack-dab in the middle of the once sacred patient-doctor relationship. I am called a provider- not a doctor. My patient is now yours- not mine. What I can do as a physician now has strangulating strings and nonsensical numbers attached- to you and government and money-not the best interests of the patients.

Obamacare, the “law of the land”, contains ever-changing-at-the-whim-of-HHS, politically-expedient mandates, rewards, penalties, rules and regulations with which I cannot rationally or morally treat my patients and run a practice, much-less interpret, implement, or comply.

Millions of Americans have lost coverage because of the healthcare law and must now shop on a defective, insecure government website and sign up for more expensive policies through Federal and State exchanges. Only by logging in as a prospective patient did my office manager and I discover that Aetna was selling plans for which I am a provider-effectively selling my services without even asking, much less informing me that my services would be sold on such a site, under the auspices of new terms with which I will not comply.

Then, after the fact, I received a form letter informing me of Aetna’s “new allowables”. I will not sell my services under such terms. While treated as such, patients and doctors are not commodities worthy of such impersonal, inconsiderate, and cavalier treatment. We choose dignity and personal service over disrespect and form letters.

So here we are, you are getting new business offering health insurance plans featuring my services without my consent under terms which are unacceptable to me. Accept this as my official written notice that the changes that you have unilaterally made to our contract are unacceptable to me and make our contract null and void. You must explain this to your patients. You must tell them that they have purchased a product that was misrepresented to them and that you cannot deliver. It saddens me to think of the decreased access to care from actual physicians and the shockingly increased costs Aetna patients will now experience because of your choice to collude with big government rather than collaborate with patients and physicians.

Kristin S. Held, MD

Socratease on February 5, 2014 at 1:30 PM

Forward!

Murphy9 on February 5, 2014 at 2:31 PM

I love it when the video just starts playing…and then reminds me of all the people who got rich sitting at an old table, while I continue to flounder. Thanks Dell!

tlynch001 on February 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM

and then I post, and the page reloads, and I get to hear it again!

tlynch001 on February 5, 2014 at 2:45 PM

And? Everyone does foolish things when young, incognizant of the potential consequences later.

I took the MCATs just over 30 years ago. Nobody at the time could possibly have predicted what we see today. If they had: The room would have been much emptier on that day back in 1982.

orangemtl on February 5, 2014 at 3:08 PM

Cindy Munford on February 5, 2014 at 11:20 AM

They may all end up working in a cash-only offices.

slickwillie2001 on February 5, 2014 at 3:22 PM

There’s your first mistake – capitalizing president and obama.

Lanceman on February 5, 2014 at 12:53 PM

Poor bayam has been reduced to calling it the “accountable care act”. We’re all still laughing at that.

Del Dolemonte on February 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Idiots. Elections. Consequences.

Not one bit of sorrow on their behalf. They got exactly what they wanted, now they get to live with it. Unfortunately so do those of us who were shouting warnings from the rooftops.

raz0r on February 5, 2014 at 5:49 PM

Del Dolemonte on February 5, 2014 at 4:00 PM

Maybe that’s how it translates into Canadian.

slickwillie2001 on February 5, 2014 at 6:14 PM

She is, of course, wrong. This is just how Obama wanted it to happen. She is just cannon fodder in the “transition to a single payer system.” Obama said as much before Obamacare was even written. I hope she learned a lesson not to trust politicans with important decisions such as your health care and won’t make the same mistake next time but with her condition, I have to wonder if she will get the chance to do that.

Dollayo on February 6, 2014 at 11:02 AM