Pelosi: Fighting “Job Lock” Lets Americans “Follow Their Passion” – Like Leaving the Workforce

posted at 5:01 pm on February 5, 2014 by Kevin Glass

The budget update from the Congressional Budget Office yesterday predicted some important information: Obamacare will cause the labor force to shrink. At a time when the American labor force is already projected to shrink due to an aging population, the widespread availability of taxpayer-funded health insurance will also cause some people to just decide not to work any more.

The White House spins this as good news, and Nancy Pelosi is standing by them:

“What we see is that people are leaving their jobs because they are no longer job-locked,” House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) told reporters after House votes Tuesday afternoon. “They are following their aspirations to be a writer; to be self-employed; to start a business. This is the entrepreneurial piece. So it’s not going to cost jobs. It’s going to shift how people make a living and reach their aspirations.”

Pelosi said she hadn’t “fully” seen the report, but, “this was one of the goals. To give people life, a healthy life, liberty to pursue their happiness. And that liberty is to not be job-locked, but to follow their passion.”

“Liberty to pursue their happiness”! But Pelosi has this all wrong. The CBO projections aren’t finding that people will “follow their passion” and become self-employed, or start a business. The CBO projects that people will simply stop working. “Job lock” is the term used for when people are hesitant to leave their jobs for fear of losing insurance coverage. But there’s a difference between being freed from job lock to become an entrepreneur and being freed from job lock to just leave the workforce. The CBO is predicting the latter.

Republicans have bemoaned job lock for years, and have centered previous health reform plans on disentangling employment from insurance. But they’re focused on the entrepreneurial side, not on the liberation that comes from being able to stop working. Any form of combating job lock will result in people leaving the workforce voluntarily, but as Ross Douthat noted, it’s the size of the effect that matters:

2 million is a much, much uglier number than the 800,000 figure the C.B.O. cited in its last report. Maybe the early estimate was right and this one is wrong, or (just as likely) maybe both are off in one direction or the other. But it does seem like we may be dealing here with something that isn’t just a consequence of rejiggering the employer-provided model, and that actually reflects a more universal dilemma of welfare-state liberalism: Namely, that when the government moves to help people at the bottom of the income distribution, its assistance often creates perverse incentives, both by making it easier for the beneficiaries not to work at all and (when the assistance is means-tested) by imposing a steep marginal tax rate on upward mobility of any kind.

That’s what’s at the heart of the progressive project here: all people should be insulated from fear, from risk, from luck. If they want to work, great! If they don’t, that’s okay too! They’re free to be writers. Or to leave the workforce altogether. People shouldn’t have to labor if they don’t want to.

That’s what this really about – if society should be structured to incentivize people at the lower rungs of the income scale to join the workforce and provide a better future for themselves and their families. The distinction between entrepreneurialism and voluntary unemployment is important.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

It’s doubleplusgood!

aquaviva on February 5, 2014 at 5:03 PM

Please Lord, don’t tarry.

Murphy9 on February 5, 2014 at 5:03 PM

she also thinks increasing unemployment boosts the economy

DanMan on February 5, 2014 at 5:04 PM

“Job Locked”

Is that like “Lock Jaw?”

ToddPA on February 5, 2014 at 5:05 PM

It’s like Funemployment!

SAZMD on February 5, 2014 at 5:08 PM

I wanted to create a masterpiece of art but then I got high.

derit on February 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Sounds like “War on Women” talk to me.

portlandon on February 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM

Nobody is madder than Obama.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM

2 Thessalonians 3:10: ““The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat.”

Obamacare 03/23/2010: “The ones willing to eat shall not work”.

aquaviva on February 5, 2014 at 5:11 PM

Sounds like “War on Women” talk to me.

portlandon on February 5, 2014 at 5:10 PM

War on jobs. Nothing different than what was goin on in 2009.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:11 PM

…when will ‘tar and feathering’ become new skewl again?

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Because we need to protect the taxpayer-funded rights of surfer dudes collecting SNAP and EBT payments.

VastRightWingConspirator on February 5, 2014 at 5:12 PM

Governors State University used to run a seminar on cable access. It featured none other than Mr Bill Ayers. A big part of his schtick was encouraging people to NOT join the work force, but to fulfill their passions of being a musician or champion chess player. All on the government dime of course.

This meme is the sum of that mentality.

southsideironworks on February 5, 2014 at 5:12 PM

My passion is to not be compelled to pay for other people to follow their passion.

kcewa on February 5, 2014 at 5:13 PM

I read an article today describing a person’s intelligence –
The term “Pelosi Level Stupid” was used.
:-)

diogenes on February 5, 2014 at 5:13 PM

liberty is to not be job-locked

…she needs her jaws locked!

KOOLAID2 on February 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM

Cloward-Piven, baby!

HumpBot Salvation on February 5, 2014 at 5:14 PM

This is so, so, SO stupid. Let her continue to make this argument while the O-Care edifice crumbles.

Even the snatch-defeat-from-the-jaws-of-victory Republicans shouldn’t screw this up too badly.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on February 5, 2014 at 5:15 PM

This proves yet again that liberalism is a mental disorder.

Ta111 on February 5, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Go ahead and leave the workforce, Nancy. Celebrate your freedom from job lock.

kcewa on February 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM

So is the idea that these 2 million people are only working to get health insurance but don’t need money for food or housing?

And they obviously aren’t old enough for Medicare because they wouldn’t need to work for health insurance but they also somehow hit the sweet spot of getting massive subsidies on the exchange without being dumped into the horrible medicaid program?

And there’s also the millions who will have their hours reduced to avoid the disastrous costs of ObamaCare.

So what happens when the young invincibles never sign up to fund this massive redistribution from young to older?

gwelf on February 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM

It’s like Funemployment!

SAZMD on February 5, 2014 at 5:08 PM

And Summer of Recovery!

Those were the good ol’ days.

Brat on February 5, 2014 at 5:16 PM

I wonder if libfreeordie is going to show up again to defend redistribution from the young and poorer to the rich and older?

gwelf on February 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM

“ObamaCare helps people out of job lock!” exclaimed Pelosi, surrounded by congressmen and Senators with an average of 20 years in the same job.

Someone should help this bat-sh*t crazy zealot out of her own ‘job lock’ in November.
As if that’ll happen.
You see, job lock is ‘bad’, when you’re a regular mope like the rest of us trying to take care of your family on the same income with rising healthcare costs.
Job lock is GOOD, however when you’re a civil service wh*re like Nanners and her ilk.

orangemtl on February 5, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Wow – we’re heading for utopia!!
I can’t wait to get unlocked from my job so I can just sit on the couch all day smokin’ pot and drinkin’ beer and just pursuing all that happiness.
I sure hope Nanzi pays off all my bills soon so I can do that….

This will be such an incredible economy once we all get there.

dentarthurdent on February 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM

Good, I’ve been meaning to pursue my love of cowboy poetry while you poor jackwads pay my bills.

There once was a horse from Nantucket…
Who crapped field apples in a bucket…

That’s all I got, I’ll send you my mortgage slips.

Bishop on February 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM

I read an article today describing a person’s intelligence –
The term “Pelosi Level Stupid” was used.
:-)

diogenes on February 5, 2014 at 5:13 PM

Let’s be clear here. Pelosi isn’t stupid, she’s ruthless as is every Dem in a top position. It’s all about personal power. Pelosi and Obama are trying to spin the facts the best way they can. People aren’t losing jobs….. they’re being freed to write the crappy novel or produce paintings where their cats walk through paint and over a canvas… whatever. And don’t worry, all you have to do is go on the public dole to reach your aspirations.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM

So nice to be able to force your neighbors to underwrite your dreams.

LilyBart on February 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Sorry ladies, but you need to plug your ears because I can’t take the psychobabble any more. This woman is the c-word with a capital K.

antipc on February 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Reminds me of Michael Palin trying to sell that dead parrot.

Rich H on February 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM

So nice to be able to force your neighbors to underwrite your dreams.

LilyBart on February 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM

I’m sure my neighbors will be happy hear it’s now their responsibility to pay off my college parent loan, credit cards, mortgage and such so I can properly go forward in pursuit of my happiness….

dentarthurdent on February 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM

gwelf on February 5, 2014 at 5:17 PM

You kidding? HA just announced a new draft. Tonight is for troll recruiting.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM

So nice to be able to force your neighbors to underwrite your dreams.

LilyBart on February 5, 2014 at 5:23 PM

Hey, they’re just helping you fly on your own wings.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:26 PM

Is HA open reg trending on twitter?

Murphy9 on February 5, 2014 at 5:26 PM

You kidding? HA just announced a new draft. Tonight is for troll recruiting.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM

and I’m just now getting to know most of the various players….

dentarthurdent on February 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM

You kidding? HA just announced a new draft. Tonight is for troll recruiting.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM

Lets hope we get a better batch than the current one.

gwelf on February 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Why isn’t drug testing mandatory before one can be sworn into federal office? This woman couldn’t possibly pass.

Bitter Clinger on February 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM

Hey, they’re just helping you fly on your own wings.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:26 PM

According to Nanzi I don’t need my own wings – I can use yours…..

dentarthurdent on February 5, 2014 at 5:28 PM

dentarthurdent on February 5, 2014 at 5:24 PM

I’m not so sure you should wait for the government. Go door-to-door and let them know just how much they owe. Maybe even get one of those apps on your Obamaphone so they can pay by credit/debit card! ;0

And don’t shortchange just how much your happiness is going to cost when you provide those invoices.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:20 PM
Indeed. Your point is well taken but sometimes mockery is appropriate.

diogenes on February 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on February 5, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Doh! TWM: three things you should never, EVER do:

1) Tell a pitcher he is on his way to throwing a no-hitter;
2) Tell a hockey goalie he’s got a shutout going;
3) Tell the GOP they can’t screw something up too badly.

VastRightWingConspirator on February 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM

It’s like Funemployment!

Great stuff. It’s like The Full Monty II, and Pelosi is Norman “My Dad Got On His Bike” Tebbitt in Margaret Thatcher’s cabinet.

cbenoistd on February 5, 2014 at 5:30 PM

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM

That’s the ticket.
I needs me one o dem bamaphones with a credit card swipe so I can get my fair share of happiness from my neighbors.
I’m sure they’ll all be very happy to support me – knowing I’m pursuing my dreams with their money….

dentarthurdent on February 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM

So, the labor force was projected to shrink when the baby boomers started to retire. But this timing isn’t right for them, and many lost their nest egg or lost value in their big investment, their home, during the crash of 2008.

They think they need to be still working…they need to save for retirement. Most productive baby boomers don’t want to retire until 70. But that contrast with the real world where you hear of people trying to take early retirement because they don’t have a job and their unemployment has run out. And there is age discrimination out there. Many have a salary history which knocks their application out of the running. And they are too overqualified.

Fleuries on February 5, 2014 at 5:34 PM

Bitter Clinger on February 5, 2014 at 5:27 PM

That’s only for us little peoples.
Which of course I’ve always thought is discrimination – that I have to get drug tested and live a clean life (no hookers or heavy gambling or such) to keep my security clearance, but politicians can do any dam thing they want and get away with it.

dentarthurdent on February 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM

2.3 million full time jobs will no longer exist due to ObamaCare.

Most people who hold a full time job have a number of debts that need to be serviced regularly. These are living expenses. Mortgages, car payments, dental bills, medical bills, utility bills, credit card bills, child rearing related expenses, etc. These bills generally fall due every month, and most people who have full time jobs are employed full time to provide the funding for these expenses.

When these 2.3 million full time employees see their work hours cut to 29.5 hours per week, they are no longer going to have the funds to service these debts and expenses.

These 2.3 million former full time employees are now going to have to make a choice. They will either default on these debts, cut these expenses, declare bankruptcy, or find a second job.

Since most of the former full time employees will need to find that second job, they would have to find one that provides a minimum of 10.5 hours per week at the same rate of pay that they had been earning for that 40 hour per week full time job.

Most employers don’t hire people to only work 10.5 hours per week. So the odds are that these former full time employees ( 2.3 million of them) are going to have to work more hours than they would have if they’d been able to retain their 40 hours per week full time job.

If these former full time employees, relegated to 29.5 hours per week, find a new part time job that pays the same as their former job, and are required to work an additional 29.5 hours per week, they will find they are working 59 hours per week, rather than the 40 hours per week they once worked.

This likely means they will have to work weekends, possibly holidays, to meet the same financial responsibilities they were servicing with their 40 hour per week job.

Less time with family, friend,less time for leisure activities, less time to rest and recuperate when they’ve been ill. Working these extra hours will cause more sick days, more illness to each worker.

Ironic, isn’t it? The great blessing Nancy Pelosi said is going to free these 2.3 million former full time employees to ‘pursue their passion’ is going to cost them their leisure time, time with their families, and tax their health.

They can pursue their passion, if their passion is to work about 8.43 hours per day, seven days per week… rather than 8 hours a day, five days per week.

thatsafactjack on February 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM

That’s the ticket.

dentarthurdent on February 5, 2014 at 5:32 PM

Just remember you manners! When you get that new car or other toy make sure you thank them for their contribution to your happiness.

Maybe send out holiday cards with a picture from your European holiday thanking them for making you happy. And make it personal. For example, add a note to your neighbor “Bill” that you really enjoyed the time in Florence thanks was his contribution.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Out in California, friend had conversation with a guy who was self employed, maintained vending machines. Fellow said Obamacare quadrupled his health care cost and he qualified for no subsidies

To get insurance, he took out big loans for his business which reduced his income. Some of the loan payment will be a write off. That was the only way he could qualify for subsidies so he could get insurance

Of course, before Obamacare, he would be the insurance he could afford. Now he has to buy what Pelosi orders

He can only keep up this up so long

We live in Animal Farm

He is still sane, with a will to survive

If he would do what the liberals and RINOs want, he would submerge himself in debauchery and drugs, and join the other serfs and zombies who have already submitted to the masters

entagor on February 5, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Gee, I always wondered what it would be like to be a bum. Now I can chase that dream.
Thanks Nancy.

faol on February 5, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Let’s also not forget that the Brookings Institute (left leaning think tank) has a recent “study” which claims the redistribution comes disproportionately from the working class.

So, ObamaCare which was supposed to boost the economy and help the middle class is hammering both.

gwelf on February 5, 2014 at 5:44 PM

“Liberty to pursue their happiness”

Thank you Nancy for giving me the ‘liberty’ to support more freeloaders.

agmartin on February 5, 2014 at 5:45 PM

When the king’s been deposed and the rule of law returns and the American people are starving because they were robbed of everything by former congress con men and women, a state of emergency should be used to nationalized everything Nancy Pelosi, Harry Reid, and Boehner have stolen from us.
They should be left with a small 2 room apartment to live out their days, if not a 1 room prison cell.

onomo on February 5, 2014 at 5:46 PM

So where does this put the income inequality argument?

tru2tx on February 5, 2014 at 5:47 PM

We live in Animal Farm

entagor on February 5, 2014 at 5:43 PM

Well, Pelosi is a pig anyway. A fat pot-bellied epitome of swine without wrinkles around the eyes.

Seriously, there is something wrong with a guy who will take out loans just to qualify for subsidies. Keep in mind, subsidy isn’t free money- some hard-working person is paying so that you don’t have to.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Wait a second…I thought BHO said that income inequality was a problem.

It turns out it was just a choice of folks fihting job lock!

Inequality problem solved!

Deafdog on February 5, 2014 at 5:49 PM

So where does this put the income inequality argument?

tru2tx on February 5, 2014 at 5:47 PM

Phase two of ten, but they’re working on it.

antipc on February 5, 2014 at 5:51 PM

I’m convinced that Pelosi is the woman after whom Seinfeld patterned the character of the woman who had man hands.

BuckeyeSam on February 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Hmmm. So if someone wants an Obamcare subsidy by working less, its all about the income level dropping to achieve this. Therefore, any attempt to get a second job would increase said income level, thereby nullifying the original subsidy intent.

Dems and the MSM, along with dopey changey followers are dumber than a box of rocks.

The CBO report is flat out saying “jobs will be lost due to Obamacare” – this Job-Lock canard is pathetic.

Odie1941 on February 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Pelosi:

Does she not understand that being self-employed, starting a business, etc, are probably the hardest route to go? Being more heavily subsidized by the government doesn’t instill a higher degree of aspiration for anyone, but degrades it.

The feds are offering incentives not to work or take risks. Do they think that people will take the risks, or stay at the gov teat?

Huff-FluffOpponent on February 5, 2014 at 5:52 PM

Conservatives need to understand that this frees up Julia’s time to work in her community garden.

BuckeyeSam on February 5, 2014 at 5:53 PM

But but Sheila Jackson Lee said all she needs to do is write a couple of executive orders for Barry to sign and we’ll be at Full Employment!

Brat on February 5, 2014 at 5:55 PM

The “choice” beings with the employer.

GarandFan on February 5, 2014 at 5:57 PM

“What was it they’d always told us about the vicious competition of the profit system, where men had to compete for who’d do a better job than his fellows? Vicious, wasn’t it? Well, they should have seen what it was like when we all had to compete with one another for who’d do the worst job possible. There’s no surer way to destroy a man than to force him into a spot where he has to aim at not doing his best, where he has to struggle to do a bad job, day after day. That will finish him quicker than drink or idleness or pulling stick-ups for a living. But there was nothing else for us to do except to fake unfitness. The one accusation we feared was to be suspected of ability. Ability was like a mortgage on you that you could never pay off. And what was there to work for? You knew that your basic pittance would be given to you anyway, whether you worked or not – your ‘housing and feeding allowance,’ it was called – and above that pittance, you had no chance to get anything, no matter how hard you tried. You couldn’t count on buying a new suit of clothes next year – they might give you a ‘clothing allowance’ or they might not, according to whether nobody broke a leg, needed an operation or gave birth to more babies. And if there wasn’t enough money for new suits for everybody, then you couldn’t get yours, either.

“There was one man who’d worked hard all his life, because he’d always wanted to send his son through college. Well, the boy graduated from high school in the second year of the plan – but ‘the family’ wouldn’t give the father any ‘allowance’ for the college. They said his son couldn’t go to college, until we had enough to send everybody’s sons to college – and that we first had to send everybody’s children through high school, and we didn’t even have enough for that. The father died the following year, in a knife fight with somebody in a saloon, a fight over nothing in particular – such fights were beginning to happen among us all the time.

“Then there was an old guy, a widower with no family, who had one hobby: phonograph records. I guess that was all he ever got out of life. In the old days, he used to skip lunch just to buy himself some new recording of classical music. Well, they didn’t give him any ‘allowance’ for records – ‘personal luxury’ they called it. But at the same meeting, Millie Bush, somebody’s daughter, a mean, ugly little eight year old, was voted a pair of gold braces for her buck teeth – this was ‘medical need’ because the staff psychologist had said that the poor girl would get an inferiority complex if her teeth weren’t straightened out. The old guy who loved music, turned to drink, instead. He got so you never saw him fully conscious any more. But it seems like there was one thing he couldn’t forget. One night, he came staggering down the street, saw Millie Bush, swung his fist and knocked all her teeth out. Every one of them.”

Ayn Rand-ATLAS SHRUGGED

ebrown2 on February 5, 2014 at 5:58 PM

And to think not so long ago the Democrats were worried about job security.

It looks like they decided people didn’t need it.

ajacksonian on February 5, 2014 at 6:01 PM

In this election year…

… it will be a pleasure to free so many Democrats that are job-locked.

Seven Percent Solution on February 5, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I doubt that very many of the people who will choose to work less hours, or not at all, in order to qualify for subsidies are suddenly going to develop a passion for art or writing. I suspect most of them are barely getting by, and just want to be able to get ahead. CBO is talking about people who just miss the cut-off for subsidies, and decide to reduce their income to qualify for subsidies when they figure out that’s the only only way they can afford the mandatory health insurance they now have to buy. These are people trying to survive, not waiting for their chance to become artists or writers. Surely no one buys the b.s. that comes out of Pelosi’s mouth, right?

mbs on February 5, 2014 at 6:02 PM

Failure = Success.

albill on February 5, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Follow your dreams doesn’t pay the bills. Whacko Liberals, it’s impossible to diagnose what turns people into brain dead buffoons.

RdLake on February 5, 2014 at 6:07 PM

Maybe I missed this somewhere in one of the CBO threads.

If the issue is simply that people will choose to not work, then in theory someone else would step into that job. If someone else is going to step into that job, why in the hell would the CBO find it necessary to calculate an impact?

No way to spin this (and if there was, it damn sure wouldn’t be selling it as some key to open the magical “job lock”). 2M+ jobs go away, plain and simple.

Pulling out dingbat to spew this nonsense shows real desperation. They know this is going to blow back big time.

JusDreamin on February 5, 2014 at 6:16 PM

The next Steve Jobs shouldn’t be trapped in his corporate job because he requires health insurance.

bayam on February 4, 2014 at 6:20 PM

An instant classic.

Chuck Schick on February 5, 2014 at 6:18 PM

Ron Fournier is carrying Obama’s water on this one too. Just remember that the next time someone tries to tell you that he’s “reasonable.”

besser tot als rot on February 5, 2014 at 6:20 PM

I have to credit some of these press folks who sit there and listen to this moron spout this stuff… I’d be sitting there saying “Are you f-ing kidding me??”

dpduq on February 5, 2014 at 6:26 PM

This is something I wrote this morning on another forum addressing this issue. If you find it a little self-serving, so be it, but the point made is still rather valid.

This little diatribe may be consider only anecdotal, but I speak from experience. I speak from what I have seen, in myself and in other creative people who have tried to find outlets for their creativity.

I have been a part time (and successful) musician, actor, writer and performer since about 1970. I have been able to find outlets for my passions both on an amateur and professional basis.

And I’ve never shirked from the possibilities that one of these talents would become a full time profession. I’ve taken all the opportunities made available to me, I’ve created my own opportunities and once in a while “blind luck” came my way.

But through all of these wonderful endeavors I never thought once that anyone owed me a career in these areas. I knew that if I ever wanted the chance to be a full time artist that I would have to work hard toward that end, and hope that fate (which has a big role in the performing arts) would shine on me.

I knew that if I wanted this bad enough, that I would have to be self supporting, that I would have to work hard at not becoming a burden to myself or someone else, that I would have to build a reasonable foundation that I could possibly launch my career.

I knew that I would have to ALWAYS have a full time job so I could navigate toward my other aspirations. I knew that that would make me stronger, give me more self confidence and prepare me just in case the arts didn’t turn out to be my place in life.

So I worked, I became a computer programmer, worked good jobs, and that money and security enabled me to pursue my other interests.

And that’s why I became good at writing plays, acting, running a live theatre and producing shows. BECAUSE IT WAS MY DIME, MY MONEY that was allowing me to work toward something that I felt I had to do, something that was in my soul. I was investing in myself and not living off the charity of someone else.

And I’ve seen this attitude and determination in people involved in most of the arts community, in Denver and in many other places where I’ve have the opportunity to expand my horizons.

It’s because I didn’t leave my work, selfishly and irresponsibly focus on my talent that I have reached the levels I have in my creativity and have been able to contribute something to the community, artistically and personally.

That all.

Walter L. Newton on February 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM

Its like they think people take jobs ONLY to get health insurance.

What maroons.

Elitist to the point where their heads are in the clouds and their feet are in their mouths and they think their mumblings are a godsend to the human race.

Idiots.

Ninnies.

Feebs.

ajacksonian on February 5, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Its like they think people take jobs ONLY to get health insurance.

ajacksonian on February 5, 2014 at 6:56 PM

You’ve got it all wrong AJ! They think people only KEEP jobs for the health insurance. Give them a way to get on the public dole and they’ll ditch working in a New York minute.

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM

Wow. And again; Never, in my wildest, indica-clouded, Floyd enhanced, Dorito-riddled, highest bake…Have I ever even CONSIDERED something this stupid, to be a valid idea. …And that includes my plan of eating graham cracker and chocolate cake frosting sandwiches, with SE Cupp. Naked. On the Beach.

You gotta be a special kinda crazy, or garden-variety stupid to buy in on this one. Well Played, Nan!!

a5minmajor on February 5, 2014 at 7:13 PM

Happy Nomad on February 5, 2014 at 7:07 PM

That’s why I went with the take aspect…if you remove the ‘incentive’ people will just suck on the teat of Big Nanny.

Food stamps.

Health care.

MyRA where they loot the last wealth of the Nation.

And yet the Gods of the Copybook headings tell us that if you do not work you do not eat.

A Nation of layabouts soon starves.

Then it isn’t about ‘health insurance’ and the dole is only good when there is anything to purchase. Less than 1% of the Nation are farmers and they feed everyone else and good chunk of the world. What happens when they age out of the workforce or decide that working for a living isn’t such a great thing any more? Lose half the farmers to this and, quite suddenly, it doesn’t matter if you have health insurance or not. And because we produce nothing our money is worthless. Then starvation sets in. And this time the government doesn’t have free food to hand out because it already handed it all out, and no one will give us more because we are the big producer of food on this globe. Once we tap out that is it and the jig is up for everyone, Elites included.

Eat the rich: they are soft, succulent and tender.

ajacksonian on February 5, 2014 at 7:18 PM

I really really hope she leaves the job force and follows those rainbows in her dumb ass head.
And democRATS say Sarah Palin is dumb.

mmcnamer1 on February 5, 2014 at 7:38 PM

Got it, Kevin. You think we should have kept those people job-locked, trapped in their jobs, desperate to not get fired, in terror they will lose their insurance and the ‘preexisting condition’ they developed while they were covered by their employer’s insurance will leave them unable to get coverage that won’t bankrupt them.

I thought this was something everyone on the right and left had agreed had to be fixed.

When it got fixed of course there were going to be a great many people quitting their jobs. That is what happens when you free trapped people. Duh.

fadetogray on February 5, 2014 at 7:59 PM

fadetogray on February 5, 2014 at 7:59 PM

You’re quite the snivelling little drama queen, aren’t you?

Chuck Schick on February 5, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Chuck Schick on February 5, 2014 at 8:06 PM

Are a leftwinger trying to smear conservatism, or are you just that much of a stupid jackass?

fadetogray on February 5, 2014 at 8:29 PM

Socratease on February 5, 2014 at 8:34 PM

fadetogray on February 5, 2014 at 8:29 PM

That made no sense. Another time in Engish, please?

Chuck Schick on February 5, 2014 at 8:39 PM

Yep, nothing says “following your dreams” like aspiring to be a obamaphone carrying, food stamp and subsidy receiving welfare leech. Gotta admire the grit in that.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on February 5, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Five will get you twenty they can find a way to screw it up. The whole reason the establishment Repubs are so against the Tea Party is because they are watching the Dems pillage our coffers and they want in on the action.

ghostwalker1 on February 5, 2014 at 8:53 PM

fadetogray on February 5, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Stop right there. Who is the “we” in “we should have kept”?

Because I think we’ve found your problem. What jobs people *choose to* have, is nobody’s business but theirs.

a5minmajor on February 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM

Either they’re collectively stupid, or they think we’re really stupid. I honestly don’t know which one.

MT on February 5, 2014 at 10:20 PM

How do I get a job with her doing anything? Love is only a light switch away, and, I’m in my golden years. I’m ready for some big bucks and coast-to-coast vacations on Air Force 3.

That’s “following my passion.”….selling out for the big bucks. I want to “leave the workforce” and get an effortless job like being Nancy’s cabana-boy. Rockin’ times in SF and the Beltway. It beats real work. (Hell, I may even get free 49er-Sh*thawk tickets.)

BTW, sarcasm IS a form of humor.

NoPain on February 5, 2014 at 11:00 PM

Can the rebirth of the WPA be in our not too distant futures?

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 6, 2014 at 1:55 AM

God, she’s horrible.

bigjack on February 6, 2014 at 2:07 AM

I am doubtful, but I might have been persuaded that it was a feature rather than a bug if they had made the argument about “job lock” BEFORE the CBO published its findings rather than afterwards to explain away the findings.

Russ808 on February 6, 2014 at 6:34 AM

fadetogray on February 5, 2014 at 7:59 PM

Stop right there. Who is the “we” in “we should have kept”?

a5minmajor on February 5, 2014 at 10:09 PM

You’ve turned it on its head. We created the unnatural fourth party arrangement that trapped the people in their jobs in the first place.

What is none of our business is what those people want to do (retire or go to work for themselves or whatever) after they get out of the trap we created with our screwed up, anti-free market laws regarding health insurance.

fadetogray on February 6, 2014 at 7:34 AM

Who in the world would vote for a blithering idiot like her? Oh, yeah, I forgot – San Francisco Democrats are about as smart. It’s all that first-and-second-hand bong smoke that they call clouds out there.

Longhorn Six on February 6, 2014 at 9:21 AM

Doh! TWM: three things you should never, EVER do:

1) Tell a pitcher he is on his way to throwing a no-hitter;
2) Tell a hockey goalie he’s got a shutout going;
3) Tell the GOP they can’t screw something up too badly.

VastRightWingConspirator on February 5, 2014 at 5:29 PM

Sadly, I think you are all too correct.

Throat Wobbler Mangrove on February 6, 2014 at 9:35 AM

This sorry woman is a freaking idiot with no redeeming values.

rplat on February 6, 2014 at 9:48 AM

Translation – everyone quite working and let the government take care of you so you do not have to read all the laws we are going to pass that take away all or any freedoms you have left.

MSGTAS on February 6, 2014 at 10:28 AM

The CBO is probably being conservative on their estimate of 2.5 million. It’s probably going to be higher. Such a sad state of government.

She Walks In Beauty on February 6, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Could e get her to follow this advice and retire early and enjoy her few little mental ability outside of government? She is running again in San Francisco domain but you can be sure many of us who are not Democrats will NEVER vote for her or any other Democrat in the hope that one day we will be able to get a majority and turn CA around.

Roselle on February 6, 2014 at 11:21 AM