Under fire, Detroit police chief won’t back down on encouraging citizens to own guns

posted at 2:41 pm on February 3, 2014 by Allahpundit

He’d probably say he’s not “encouraging” anyone, just defending their right to do so, but if you read Ed’s post about this last month you know better. And no wonder: In Detroit more than most places, when seconds count, the police are many minutes away.

Some liberals are naturally concerned that having more citizens carrying will disrupt the prosperity and tranquility for which the D is known the world ’round. Chief James Craig’s unconvinced:

“In fact, there’s been research … by the Department of Justice and some scholars that armed citizens, good citizens, can have a deterring effect on violent crime,” he said. “While I sit here with lots of optimism and encouragement that crime is declining, we still have incident after incident where individuals like elderly people get dragged out of their cars at gunpoint.

“There was a study done comparing the U.S. to Great Britain that suggested that home invasions, while people were in the house, were less likely in the United States than in Great Britain. And the reason why is because the suspects know there’s a greater likelihood that people in America are more likely to have guns inside their homes. So they tend to wait until the home is vacant to commit the home invasion.

“In England, suspects, because of the restrictive gun laws, 50 percent of the home invasions are committed while the people are in their homes…

“This is not often talked about: responsibility,” he said. “I do not condone vigilantism. I don’t support individuals arming themselves and doing the work of police officers. Police officers are trained to enforce the law. I think you put people at risk when you have people that are out playing police. I do see that a concealed weapon is an opportunity for self-protection only; not to go out and enforce the law.”

Daniel Payne looks at the DOJ’s numbers and wonders, if more guns equals more crime, why have we seen less crime in America over the past 20 years?

Last year the Department of Justice released a report revealing that firearm homicides declined nearly 40% between 1993 and 2011, and nonfatal firearm injuries declined nearly 70% within the same time period. Every year since 2002 has seen a rise in the number of NICS background checks performed, yet in 2011 the firearm homicide rate was lower than it was in 2002; in fact, all firearm violence, both fatal and nonfatal, was lower the former year than the latter.

The significance of Craig speaking out isn’t that he might catalyze a change to the law but that he’s educating the public on a right they already possess. Open carry is already legal in Michigan, but not all Detroit residents know that. People who might otherwise might want to buy a gun for home protection may assume, incorrectly, that Detroit controls guns as tightly as New York, Chicago, and other big cities do. When you’ve got the chief of police on TV encouraging people to consider it, though, that perception’s bound to change. And so all eyes in the gun-control debate turn to the D: Expect to see either an NRA ad or a Mike Bloomberg ad next year about the murder rate there, depending upon which way it goes.

Here’s Craig addressing the subject early last month.

Comments

Stand your ground Chief!!!

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 2:42 PM

nonpartisan, come out to play…

Del Dolemonte on February 3, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Take the next step, Chief!

Provide seized, safe weapons free of charge to anyone willing to fill out the required 4473 background check form and complete a police instructed weapons safety course.

PolAgnostic on February 3, 2014 at 2:47 PM

The Detroit cops said they’d send someone over when my car was stolen, but they were really backed up so it may take a day or two. 16 years later and they still haven’t shown up.

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Maybe you were at the ballet when they finally got around to it/….
;)

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 2:50 PM

He is a pretty impressive fellow. A class act. Not a follower, but a man who speaks his mind

At first I coudn’t believe he was for real, but you get to hear him quite often on local Detroit news stations.

With men like him, you can see the possibilities of a Detroit unleashed. I like the emergency manager too. Neither are wimps

entagor on February 3, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM

BTW – I’ve had cars broken into twice, and the cops NEVER showed up to investigate – “file a report through the police web site”, and we’ll never do anything about it anyway…

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM

Maybe you were at the ballet when they finally got around to it/….
;)

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 2:50 PM

Well, where else does one wait for the police to show? :-)

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Well, where else does one wait for the police to show? :-)

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM

Might as well spend the time in a good way – since you’ll be waiting a looooong time.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM

ALL Progressives (I don’t use the term “liberal” anymore) are terrified that this will lead to an increase in a sense of self-empowerment among citizens. We can’t have that. Citizens, or rather, human cattle, cannot be allowed to see themselves as sovereign beings with the right to defend themselves.

rrpjr on February 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM

Brilliant piece of writing, AP. Absolutely brilliant…

JohnGalt23 on February 3, 2014 at 2:56 PM

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I’ve had two break ins also, both in the D, and didn’t waste my time calling the police. I doubt they enjoyed the 12 empty CD cases they stole the first time, but probably got something for my rollerblades.

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 2:55 PM

That’s a lot of loonies and toonies (Canadian $1 and $2 coins) in 16 years.

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 2:59 PM

God Bless him

ToddPA on February 3, 2014 at 3:00 PM

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 2:57 PM

Last break-in of my car, they got cheap sunglasses, an old windbreaker jacket, a flashlight, and a cheap folding pocket knife.
If I had heard anything and caught them in the act, they would have died for that impressive treasure haul.

I was REALLY PO’d at my dogs for not making a sound that night….

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM

This must be driving the Liberals insane. A Black Cop telling everyone the police can’t really help them and they are better off buying a gun to protect themselves. Cant wait to see the racial attacks on this poor guy from the Left start.

Irony can be pretty Ironic.

Johnnyreb on February 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM

Irony can be pretty Ironic.

Johnnyreb on February 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM

That will be an easy one for the libtards – Uncle Tom, he aint REALLY black, he aint black enough, he aint down wit da cause….
I expect we’ll hear all of those and more.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 3:04 PM

He must be a “ventriloquist”, like the only black senator, who happens to be a R-SC.

Schadenfreude on February 3, 2014 at 3:06 PM

wow, he is awesome! very refreshing.

Sachiko on February 3, 2014 at 3:08 PM

I was REALLY PO’d at my dogs for not making a sound that night….

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 3:01 PM

A few months after my last break in, I almost caught some teenager smashing the window of my neighbor’s car. He was trying to steal a bag of returnables. I chased that little bastard for a half hour, before he got away. Running through the hood yelling at him, the dude looked terrified. I really wanted to hurt him.

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Dow down 300.

davidk on February 3, 2014 at 3:13 PM

So much for the claim that Americans want stricter gun control, 56% of Americans are against making gun laws stricter

davidk on February 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM

nonpartisan on February 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Schadenfreude on February 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 3:09 PM

Right after we moved here to Kentucky our neighborhood had some kids egg about 6 cars one night including ours. I called the cops and they came over within 20 minutes. He took some notes and looked around and told me if I caught them I could pretty much do whatever I wanted to them short of shooting them and then call the Police.

He said they wouldn’t get upset if the kids were roughed up some and got taught a lesson before we called them to say we had caught them. Nothing else has happened in the year since.

Johnnyreb on February 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Low-IQ Dem lady from Detroit checks in at the Detroit News comments:

Chief Craig, there are some studies suggesting that smoking is good for your health, cocaine is not addictive, and many other public health claims that are clearly false. Here is some information from the http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/hicrc/firearms-research/guns-and-death/, in other words peer-reviewed research from actual scientists. Your “research” may tell you that “Good People” carrying guns will reduce violence. My experience tells me that you cannot differentiate good from bad until after a crime has been committed.

It’s nonpartisan’s grandma!

Del Dolemonte on February 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Johnnyreb on February 3, 2014 at 3:16 PM

I like the way your cops think.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM

“Guns should only be in the hands of the military and police….” – DeadLib

Electrongod on February 3, 2014 at 3:17 PM

uhhh…let me help you out there jazz.

if 40% of guns used were bought in the city, then a gun ban would’ve eliminated those 40% of gun crimes.

so just because a gun ban won’t eliminate 100%, doesn’t mean the law won’t be effective.

quite simple really. don’t let perfect be the enemy of the good.

nonpartisan on January 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Schadenfreude on February 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM

That’s interesting that Michigan is open-carry. I didn’t know that. I’m in Virginia, but it’s Northern Virginia. Virginia technically has open-carry, but frankly I don’t trust the cops here. If I walked around in this area open carrying, even if it was technically legal, they’d “find” some reason to arrest me for something else. In more rural areas it would probably be ok.

WhatSlushfund on February 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM

He looks like Juan Williams’ sane brother.

Schadenfreude on February 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Sure wish this guy was running to be Sheriff of L.A.County -
He would be a breath of fresh-air.

Another Drew on February 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM

nonpartisan on January 25, 2014 at 10:08 AM
Schadenfreude on February 3, 2014 at 3:18 PM

Wasn’t that thread about the Supreme Court saying outlawing gun sales in Chicago was unconstitutional?
I had a question about this statistic that I never posted in that thread:
If gun sales were previously outlawed IN Chicago, how could 40% of guns have been bought IN Chicago, except as illegal black-market sales?

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 3:22 PM

Irony can be pretty Ironic.

Johnnyreb on February 3, 2014 at 3:02 PM

I expect we’ll hear all of those and more.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 3:04 PM

The white liberals for sure. I think the black community might share the chief’s view on this one.

Sockpuppet Politic on February 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Sure wish this guy was running to be Sheriff of L.A.County -
He would be a breath of fresh-air.

Another Drew on February 3, 2014 at 3:21 PM

He was with LAPD for many years, then to Portland maine, then Cincinnati, and now back home in Detroit – where he started.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

We are armed. Heavily armed:

Washington, DC –(AmmoLand.com)- Data released by the FBI’s National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) for the year reported 14,033,824 NICS Checks for the year of 2009, a 10 percent increase in gun purchases from the 12,709,023 reported in 2008.

So far that is roughly 14,000,000+ guns bought last year!
The total is probably more as many NICS background checks cover the purchase of more than one gun at a time by individuals.

To put it in perspective that is more guns than the combined active armies of the top 21 countries in the world. countries by number of troops

Of the NICS background checks preformed less than and average .005% were denied, showing, overwhelmingly, that law abiding American citizens are the ones buying guns and that criminals are getting their guns elsewhere.

14,033,824,000 billions rounds of Ammo
Assuming each gun buyer bought 1000 rounds of ammo for each purchase, and you and I know that it is way, way more than that, that would be easily 14,033,824,000+ billions rounds of ammo fired by USA gun owners.

What percent of people were killed or injured by this ammo…it is just to infinitesimally small for me to calculate?

davidk on February 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

Sockpuppet Politic on February 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I’m not so sure about that. Many, yes.
But a lot of the standard black community race-baiters are out there whining about SYG laws and others already, even though those laws most often benefit minorities in high crime areas.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM

nonpartisan on February 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Schadenfreude on February 3, 2014 at 3:15 PM

davidk on February 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Sockpuppet Politic on February 3, 2014 at 3:24 PM

I’m not so sure about that. Many, yes.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 3:27 PM

The Racist Roots of Gun Control

davidk on February 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 2:48 PM

Oh, God! That would be hilarious if it weren’t so sad!

NavyMustang on February 3, 2014 at 3:37 PM

Bias comes fact-to-face with reality:

Target Market: Black Women With Guns
For J. Victoria Sanders, joining the ranks of women with guns means earning a concealed handgun license and coming to terms with Black feminism.

davidk on February 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Hi and thank you for visiting the Black Man With A Gun website.

Let me explain how the name came about. My name is reverend Kenn Blanchard, ordained Christian pastor that has been a protector all my life. I have worked in almost every job with the word “guard” in it. Starting with being the eldest child, and progressing from safety patrol, crossing guard, US Marine, “chaser,” American Embassy Guard, bodyguard, security guard, federal police officer, security detailee, counter terrorist, church sexton, “armor bearer” and then pastor. I have protected diplomats, heads of state, celebrities, children, families, and people in the US Government. I have protected and worked in technical, physical and National security in my career.

davidk on February 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM

The Racist Roots of Gun Control

davidk on February 3, 2014 at 3:30 PM

Very good, and educational paper.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 3:49 PM

davidk on February 3, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Very cool web site.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 3:53 PM

WhatSlushfund on February 3, 2014 at 3:19 PM

davidk on February 3, 2014 at 3:55 PM

Dear Chief Craig,

I applaud your position and courage in standing your ground. I would also recommend not relying on facts. Facts will not help you combat the ocean of critics heading your way.

stuartm650 on February 3, 2014 at 3:56 PM

nonpartisan, come out to play…

Del Dolemonte on February 3, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Were ya clinkin’ glass bottles when you said that…..pilgrim?

Oldnuke on February 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Well, where else does one wait for the police to show? :-)

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 2:54 PM

A donut shop?

Oldnuke on February 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM

I had a corporate check stolen from the mail that was being sent out to pay bills. They wisely took a CC payment knowing it would take some time for me to learn it was stolen. They then counterfeited checks down to my logo, scanned signature etc.. Their mistake was the security seal was in the wrong spot. When we learned about what was happening accounts were shut down before damage was too great (only one check got through- cashed in person). The police locally wouldn’t do pooh because while attempts made to cash 3- 9K checks failed the one that got through was sub 2k so they didn’t care. Keep in mind the bank had fingerprints (required if a check is cashed w/o an account) and video..

When I pressed my bank to push the police, they 2nd in command at the branch, said what should I care, I got my money back (they covered the check they allowed to be cashed)..

Keep it under 10k and no one cares..

theblacksheepwasright on February 3, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Well, where else does one wait for the police to show? :-)

Should have waited for them at the donut shop.

orangemtl on February 3, 2014 at 4:06 PM

Were ya clinkin’ glass bottles when you said that…..pilgrim?

Oldnuke on February 3, 2014 at 3:59 PM

That only works for warriors – not hot chocolate sipping pajamaboys….

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 4:11 PM

Please understand all you tyro gun owners (coming to Detroit) …
Just because you own a piano doesn’t make you a pianist.

This Police Chief is making sense. The Prestitues and their Manure Spreading Media will make every effort to silence and destroy him and his beliefs.

Missilengr on February 3, 2014 at 4:39 PM

A donut shop?

Oldnuke on February 3, 2014 at 4:00 PM

When I was in college, some friends lived in an apartment building next to the Tempe police station. Some freshman asked what all the cop cars were doing out there. We had him convinced it was a donut shop.

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 4:41 PM

A couple of months ago my wife and I drove by a local bank. There were at least 4 police cars in the parking lot with lights flashing. We watched as the cops led a guy out of the bank in handcuffs. The bank was right next door to a Dunkin Donuts. We about broke up laughing at what sort of criminal robs a bank next door to a donut shop.

Oldnuke on February 3, 2014 at 4:56 PM

Slightly O/T but … The LIVeral-Libtards need to understand the philosophy and purpose of the National Rifle Association (from its founding).
I don’t recall the exact time & place but it was in the segregationist South. Some Democrats (friends of Robert Byrd no doubt) dressed in white sheets and hoods were going to teach some negro’s a lesson. The negro’s were armed with Springfield rifles. One night the Democrats (a.k.a KKK) tried to overrun the black men in their ‘secured positions’. It took just a few volleys from their Springfield’s to change the minds and attitudes of the Democrats. (Cars are not very effective in stopping M2 ball rounds.)
Too bad so many in our society don’t know this story.

Missilengr on February 3, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Oldnuke on February 3, 2014 at 4:56 PM

A neighbor of my came home one evening to find a burglar asleep on his sofa with a bag of his stuff next to him. Apparently not all the stupid crooks have made it to Congress yet.

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM

Did he fall off the couch and hit his head on a baseball bat?

Oldnuke on February 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Exactly the attitude that an American chief police officer should have.

Also, an official who doesn’t pretend that everything’s just fine when it isn’t. Very rare indeed.

Dr. ZhivBlago on February 3, 2014 at 5:33 PM

“Guns should only be in the hands of the military and police….” – DeadLib

They made a movie about a world like that. It was called “Schindler’s List”.

Socratease on February 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

This headline is no different that this:

Detroit police chief won’t back down on encouraging citizens to request an attorney when charged with a crime.

Detroit police chief won’t back down on encouraging citizens to peak their minds.

Detroit police chief won’t back down on encouraging citizens to worship in the church of their choice.

Detroit police chief won’t back down on encouraging citizens to demand that police produce a specific warrant before allowing police to toss their crib.

Detroit police chief won’t back down on encouraging citizens to petition their government for redress of grievances.

Akzed on February 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Did he fall off the couch and hit his head on a baseball bat?

Oldnuke on February 3, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I knew the police Chief of my town well, it’s quite possible this guy hit his head, accidentally, falling out of the cop car. A few times.

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 5:37 PM

if you’re not a criminal or planning to commit a crime, then you should have no reason to be afraid of the police nonpartisan on February 19, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Jokes are supposed to be funny. Yours are always just stoopit.

Akzed on February 3, 2014 at 5:40 PM

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM

If that was my house, the perp would have woke up dead, from lead poisoning. I coulda sworn that was a gun in his hand….

We had a Fort Carson soldier and his pregnant wife shot and killed last year when they came home and surprised a 17 year old burglar in their house.
Perp facing life because he was only 17 when he killed them, so they can’t get a death sentence.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 5:51 PM

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 5:51 PM

You wouldn’t even need to say he was armed if he was in your house. That, in and of itself, is a threat to your person. But if you do shoot him, make sure he’s dead and stays in the house. And if he stumbles out of the house before dying, drag him back in and wash of the blood outside before calling the cops. As for my neighbors, they were elderly and just went next door to wait for the police.

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 5:59 PM

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 5:59 PM

If the situation was like your neighbors, he never would have gotten off the couch – like I said – “woke up dead”….
And, ya, as long as he’s in the house he’s a valid target.
But because of the soldier and his wife, the police in this area wouldn’t even think of charges against you if you killed a burglar in your house – but saying you thought he had a gun might help ensure that.

dentarthurdent on February 3, 2014 at 6:09 PM

Progressivism kills.

Schadenfreude on February 3, 2014 at 6:48 PM

The problem with open carry in Michigan is that eight months of the year, the weather there requires an outer coat.

PersonFromPorlock on February 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Good man.

Wine_N_Dine on February 3, 2014 at 7:20 PM

PersonFromPorlock on February 3, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Yeah, that’s a real challenge.

WhatSlushfund on February 3, 2014 at 7:47 PM

Detroit has a good Chief it seems.

We could use some Chief’s like him down here in Texas for Austin, Dallas and Houston where they’ve been pussified.

TX-96 on February 3, 2014 at 8:25 PM

Wish we had a guy like this for Seattle. But no, the progs are conducting the search for our next chief. Citizens are invited to choose the top three qualities for that post from this list (emphasis mine):

Seattle Police Chief Search: Share your thoughts

1. What are the top three qualities we should look for in a Police Chief?

Ethical: Enforces values of SPD and does not tolerate police misconduct or discrimination. Committed to social justice and understanding of other cultures.

Role model: Strong work ethic, confident, and approachable. Sets and enforces performance standards.

Collaborative: Open to new ideas. Works effectively with both
criminal justice system and communities. Reduces conflict through cooperation.

Promotes a positive, transparent culture: Creates environments where officers can succeed. Holds individuals and the organization accountable.

Nurtures community partnerships: Develops community partnerships and actively engages with communities. Implements community policing.

Leads efforts to improve police department: Incorporates best practices. Improves diversity within the department. Encourages recruitment and training initiatives.

Provides good stewardship of financial and staff resources: Develops effective budgets and delegates responsibilities.

Engages with diverse audiences in a positive and productive manner: Engages minority and other disenfranchised communities through open dialogue. Works well with elected officials to advocate on behalf of SPD. Listens and communicates effectively.

Works strategically and collaboratively with labor: Complies with labor agreements and resolves employee issues in a fair and consistent manner.

Seeks to proactively reduce crime and improve public safety: Works with regional law enforcement and justice system to implement crime-reduction programs.

Is well-informed about key issues: Knows trends and research impacting policing and public safety. Understands various communities’ perspectives related to policing.

Encourages high standards for SPD: Promotes the role of police within the community. Accepts feedback and embraces accountability. Encourages officers to treat others with politeness and civility.

Other (please specify)