Super Bowl ads: bonanza or bore?

posted at 10:01 am on February 3, 2014 by Ed Morrissey

Bore if you ask me, and I’m not alone. This year’s crop of Super Bowl ads featured a lot of flash and celebrity appearances, but not a lot of originality. The one game where we’re not supposed to be tempted to leave the couch between plays turned out to be a bust on and off the field:

The advertising world’s annual big night was, largely, a big yawn, according to several leading marketing experts.

“Death by boredom,” said Marian Salzman, chief executive officer of Havas PR, who also took to Twitter to tell Butterfinger “you bombed” and Audi “you lost me.”

“Hasn’t made me want to buy a darn thing,” Salzman added in an email.

Sure, Budweiser’s ever-present Clydesdales showed up, this time sporting a new pal — a little doggie with a crazy case of puppy love for furry-footed horses.

And Bud welcomed home a real U.S. soldier from Afghanistan with an actual surprise party, helping the beer maker win the night among the brands.

But like the Denver Broncos, most of the evening’s ads were a blur of confusion that too often fell flat.

NBC blames the problem on a lack of spontaneity. Jazz mentioned this, too, in the Super Bowl open thread; too many of these spots had already been seen, and would be available at any time on demand at YouTube. (Remember when we used that to ignore commercials?) That doesn’t account for the entirety of the problem, though. Most of the ads were either weird for weird’s sake, like the Budweiser pickup ad that literally was about “whatever,” to an ad for a long-dead show about nothing:

Jerry Seinfeld’s highly anticipated “secret project”was unveiled on Super Bowl Sunday, and it’s …an episode of his Web series Comedians in Cars Getting Coffee entitled The Over-Cheer in which he reunites with two beloved Seinfeld characters — George (Jason Alexander) and Newman the mailman (Wayne Knight), Jerry’s longtime nemesis.

The 90-second promo for the six-minute Web video aired on Fox just before Bruno Mars’ halftime show. It features Seinfeld and Alexander seated in a booth at Tom’s Restaurant in Manhattan (the stand-in for Monk’s on the long-running NBC sitcom) discussing why George wasn’t invited to this year’s big Super Bowl party at “the Wassersteins.” (It seems George over-cheered at their gathering two years ago when the New York Giants won the big game, then “availed himself of the toilet in their master bedroom.”)

One of the strangest by far was this car ad from Bob Dylan, who has cut ads for Chrysler before. The ad makes an attempt at surrealistic images of American iconography along with Dylan walking around in neighborhoods and bars while advising Americans to buy their beer from Germany, but their cars from America:

Did we mention that Chrysler is now an Italian company? And that one of the other major sponsors of the Super Bowl was Budweiser, an American brewer? (Correction: Used to be an American beer; it’s now Belgian. Sigh. I’m still buying Sam Adams.)

And then there was the Coca-Cola ad, “America the Beautiful,” which got more attention than it should:

Alternate headline: Coca-Cola pitches to all demographics. Sorry I can’t work up any outrage over showing a gay couple and having a multilingual ad in an art form that sells sugar water to hundreds of millions of people. I’d be slightly more annoyed over the use of the song as a sales slogan than for the images within it; couldn’t Coca-Cola pay a jingle writer in 2014?

My favorite was the self-effacing ad from Tim Tebow, who poked fun at his current status by promoting T-Mobile’s new no-contract promotion, a clever blend of reality and sales pitch. I couldn’t find the exact version aired last night, but this version appeared a couple of days before the Super Bowl … once again spoiling the launch:

It’s too bad we didn’t get more like this. I could have skipped the game and still would have been entertained.

Comments

Comment pages: 1 2

Personally I found it to be quite entertaining on the field, but agree the commercials were pretty lame.

Lost in Jersey on February 3, 2014 at 10:03 AM

best ad?

Radio Shack, back to the 80′s

best performance besides the Seattle Defense?

Broadway Joe in his Coat baby!!!

ToddPA on February 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I only saw some of them, but none were memorable. Even the movie ads were kinda dull.

Doughboy on February 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Budweiser is a Belgian beer now.

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM

I enjoyed the Audi one. The Doberhuahua was funny, and there was a nice clip of the S3′s engine noise.

Still not on the same level as their prom ad from last year, though.

Spannerhead on February 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

The intertubes are ruining the anticipation of Super Bowl commercials.

Budweiser is a Belgian beer now.

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 10:05 AM

Correct, if the claim is made that Chrysler is an Italian make.

22044 on February 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I thought commercial #1 – the Doritos time machine spot – was the best of the night. It was all downhill from there.

What was up with Maserati making a commercial ? As if anyone that could afford a Maserati would be unaware of the car without a commercial.

There seemed to be a higher than usual percentage of concept spots. Trying to tie your product to some fuzzy concept. The ones that score are the ones that are funny.

The other one we liked was the VW engineers get their wings spot. Though almost entirely for the “rainbows shoot out of their butts” ending.

deadrody on February 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Coke ad was lame. I’m not sure how preferring English is racist, but that’s liberal “thinking” for you. Funny though, I didn’t even notice the gay couple the first time through.

SAZMD on February 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Yes, and counter-culture icon’s Chrysler is an Italian company’s subsidiary.

Murphy9 on February 3, 2014 at 10:09 AM

I think Jerry Seifeld looks like he love child of Matt Lauer and Jack Jeeves(MIB).

Ufdaubet on February 3, 2014 at 10:10 AM

So glad that I didn’t waste 3 1/2 hours watcing 2 teams that I despise play a total one-sided blowout with crappy commercials in between.

Me, FTW.

Bitter Clinger on February 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Me and the wife watched in the neighbors living room. His 20-something kids and their friends were there also.

All of us (geezers and young ‘uns alike) thought most of the ads were lame. It’s interesting that even with the generational divide, the standards were basically in sync.

Maybe this society ain’t so bad off after all.

platypus on February 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM

I think more companies should follw the Doritos approach. Seems to be working. They’ve had some great ads. Loved the time machine.

Galtian on February 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM

Totally agree Ed…I did like radio shacks 80s ad

cmsinaz on February 3, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Anyone know the story on that gigantic building behind the stadium with the IZOD sign on it? Is that a distributor, store, or did they just place their label in a spot where they knew the blimp pictures would pick it up?

Murphy9 on February 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Mr cmsinaz sure missed the bud frogs……bring them back!

cmsinaz on February 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM

None of the ads I saw really popped. The Tebow ads were OK, but not outstanding. However, outstanding isn’t a word that can be used for any of these ads. I’m not sure I understand the pre-release mentality. What do companies hope to gain by showing their Super Bowl ads before the Super Bowl? Early hype?

NotCoach on February 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM

The “puppy” ad didn’t air until the very end of the game – but of course 30 million had already seen that one on You Tube. Generally, I thought it was a down year for the ads. Seattle’s defense definitely owned the night.

TarheelBen on February 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM

SAZMD on February 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

I didn’t notice it either. You’d probably have to be told it was there and look for it deliberately.

22044 on February 3, 2014 at 10:17 AM

What gay couple?

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM

TEBOW !

stenwin77 on February 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Murphy9 on February 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Nevermind…I didn’t know there was another stadium there.

Murphy9 on February 3, 2014 at 10:19 AM

Just a weird, uncomfortable weekend all around. But now I know why. James Lileks had to put Jasper down Friday afternoon.

Loved his bleats about Jasper’s doings.

rbj on February 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM

Murphy9 on February 3, 2014 at 10:13 AM

It’s another sports arena. I believe it was previously Continetal Airlines Arena. IZOD must have bought the naming rights.

Galtian on February 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz…..snork!
..huh? It’s Monday and I gotta go to work?

The War Planner on February 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM

David Burge‏ @iowahawkblog·
Biggest surprise of the Super Bowl:
Newman has aged better than Jerry Seinfeld.

ITguy on February 3, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I remember seeing a puppy running proud with the Clydesdales..

I can’t remember any others……..

Electrongod on February 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM

What gay couple?

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM

You don’t want to go there. They are just trying to run a meme about “loving committed” being separated by immigration laws. Which is almost funny given the Inglorious Basterds level of enforcing our broken laws.

platypus on February 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM

platypus on February 3, 2014 at 10:23 AM

Hey, I watch HGTV, I don’t see gay anymore. It’s all gay.

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2014 at 10:24 AM

Nobody’s mentioned the yoghurt commercial: The girlfriend licks it off the guy’s face to much mutual enjoyment, then he drops some on the front of his pants?

I thought that broke new ground…

Byron on February 3, 2014 at 10:25 AM

Mr cmsinaz sure missed the bud frogs……bring them back!

cmsinaz on February 3, 2014 at 10:15 AM

Yes. That was funny and had broad appeal.

Last night’s ads: Apparently, I just can’t relate.

(Spent my middle-school football career on the bench. Probably same reason…)

Tsar of Earth on February 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Terrible and completely forgettable.

The whole spectacle was just underwhelming IMO.

Gatsu on February 3, 2014 at 10:27 AM

I hope Tim Tebow made a boat load of money.

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2014 at 10:29 AM

What was up with that hugging Bruce Willis ad? I can’t even remember what it was for, just that it weirded me out in a not good way.

PackerBronco on February 3, 2014 at 10:33 AM

Would the FCC even allow the “Bud Lite Swear Jar” commercial in 2014?

Jeddite on February 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

…and Audi “you lost me.”
…a blur of confusion
One of the strangest by far…

es·o·ter·ic
esəˈterik
adjective
1.intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest.

Tsar of Earth on February 3, 2014 at 10:35 AM

I didn’t even notice the gay couple the first time through.

SAZMD on February 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

22044 on February 3, 2014 at 10:17 AM

What gay couple?

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Yeah, totally missed them, too.

Coke went from teaching the world to sing in perfect harmony, to the confusion of tongues.

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM

I liked the Volkswagen commercial. The scene with the winged engineers in the bathroom cracked me up when I caught why the one with the smaller wings had such a look on his face.

backwoods conservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:43 AM

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Look at the bright side, at least it was different languages singing a great song about our great country. They are an international company promoting good will to global audience.

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2014 at 10:44 AM

Ford really set the tone, in a bad way, with their craptastic “we’re making a long ad and announcing it in the ad” see-me-notice-me bit.

I was washing dishes by midway through the second quarter.

TexasDan on February 3, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I can add that I also found this year’s crop of commercials disappointing. There were a few bright spots, but they mostly left me as unimpressed as I am any other time of year.

backwoods conservative on February 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Liked the puppy/Clydesdale and Dorritos cowgirl rides big dog.

My reaction to seinfeld similar to Iowahawk: wow, Jerry not ageing all that great, especially after seeing “Newman”.

Best part of SB was halftime show. Bruno Mars was very good.

WisRich on February 3, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Tsar :)

cmsinaz on February 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

rbj on February 3, 2014 at 10:20 AM

While reading that, haven’t cried so hard since, well, having to do the same six years ago.

Brat on February 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Total meh. Come on baseball!

neyney on February 3, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Best ads were Cheerios, Salute a Solider and Radio Shack

gophergirl on February 3, 2014 at 10:53 AM

Agree with Ed, most ads were boring. I saw wayyyy too many bud light ads–crappy ones at that. Crappy ads for crappy beer, alas, there’s my bias. Cute doritos ads. Go Daddy has toned down the TNA from years past. Bud ad with the soldier was great, so was the puppy/clydesdale one.

Thought the halftime show was classy–Bruno Mars–never heard of him before but I liked it. Red Hot Chili Peppers added nothing to it and could’ve been scrapped. Loved the soldier/marine shoutout in the middle of his songs.

Loved the flyover of the helicopters at the start of the game. Loved the opera singer who did the national anthem.

2 cents

ted c on February 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I think there may have been 1 cute coke commercial also…but i can’t quite recall it…

ted c on February 3, 2014 at 10:56 AM

Oh yeah, the lil football player that ran all the way to the stadium and the guy on the lawnmower tossed him a coke—that was a good one.

ted c on February 3, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Still not on the same level as their prom ad from last year, though.

Spannerhead on February 3, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Sorry, but that ad completely creeped me out. I hope I never see it again. Too bad for Audi. I thought this ad from 2011 was tremendous.

BuckeyeSam on February 3, 2014 at 10:58 AM

Being that I came of age during the 1980′s-I really liked the Radio Shack ad.
The Bud ads were also good.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM

I agree that the Audi prom ad from last year and the Green Police one from the year prior were way better than this year’s Audi ads.

The VW ad with the angel wings was a bit funny. just a bit.

ted c on February 3, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I liked the second (?) Doritos ad with the kid lassoing his brother. The two Bud ads were great. The Radio Shack ad was funny–gotta love Cliff Clavin. I thought the Bud lite continuing ad was idiotic. Seinfeld was must-see back in the day, but that ad fell completely flat until Newman showed up.

People seemed to have liked the Doritos time-machine ad, but I thought it was hokey.

BuckeyeSam on February 3, 2014 at 11:05 AM

Brat on February 3, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Had to bury dog #2 two years and two weeks ago. Reading the past few months, I didn’t expect Jasper to make it through this winter.

rbj on February 3, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Loved the Tebow & Doritos commercials. A company can never go wrong saluting our fine military. The puppy commercial was cute. Everything else was forgettable.

Galtian on February 3, 2014 at 10:11 AM

The Doritos time machine was made with $200 and in about 8 hours by amateurs for a contest. They need to fire all the pros and start having more contests with the plebs. There’s a political metaphor in there…….

conservative pilgrim on February 3, 2014 at 11:08 AM

Didn’t see any after half time…who the heck is bruno mars?

thought the chevy ad with the cow being put out to stud was good….Hello Girls.

DiabloAzure on February 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM

I thought the VW ad was pretty good. It got an audible chuckle out of my wife and me. The Radio Shack ad was funny. The rest were pretty lame.

Sparky on February 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

Being that I came of age during the 1980′s-I really liked the Radio Shack ad.

annoyinglittletwerp on February 3, 2014 at 11:01 AM

RadioShack Super Bowl 2014 Commercial HD

It is fun to note all of the 80′s references in that ad… music, movies, TV shows, sports, technology (VCRs), etc.

ITguy on February 3, 2014 at 11:11 AM

2 cents

ted c on February 3, 2014 at 10:55 AM

I was at a very large, very loud Super Bowl fundraiser/party. I barely heard the last few lines of the anthem and then I said, wow, helicopters. The tipsy lady next to me said, those are jets.

We left early to watch the last quarter of the game with some friends who are from Seattle. It was a weird day, weird game.

I turned on Animal Planet later to watch a replay of the Puppy Bowl and saw that they had one of Obama’s dogs starting it off or something, so I turned it off. Why must they ruin everything.

*sad face*

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Disappointed in the whole thing.

– Game sucked, of course.

– Wanted the weather to be horrible so we would never again have to suffer another SB in a open air stadium above the Mason-Dixon line. Saving grace: Attendees had to wait hours for public transit after the game, plus the bad weather finally came in overnight, which strangled traffic and airports for those flying out today.

– No hot babes singing in skimpy outfits during half-time show. Mars okay but could have really done without the middle-aged Chili Peppers jumping around on stage, shirtless. Awful.

– Commercials sucked, as noted by Ed, above. You know it’s bad when the GoDaddy commercial features an ugly, fat woman with a puppet. Pretty much summed up the ad offerings overall.

– No politically incorrect commentary by the on-air groups. It was all so puffy and perfect. Saving grace: Namath’s fur coat, which got PETA’s panties in a wad, however, it made him look like an old lesbian.

TXUS on February 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2014 at 10:18 AM

Totally missed that as well… my gaydar must be a little rusty.

dpduq on February 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM

Heh, I think advertisers were pissed because the game was so boring.
Many will think twice before dropping 4 million again…..

Most of the spots looked like they were produced by fluffy libs who were trying to make a statement.

I think many ad agencies will be hearing an earful from miffed clients…..

redguy on February 3, 2014 at 11:19 AM

It was a little interesting to see Stamos in the Chobani yogurt ad joined at the end by his Full House co-stars. That show has been off the air longer than Seinfeld.

BuckeyeSam on February 3, 2014 at 11:23 AM

Made my wife laugh when I compared the pre-release of the Superbowl ads to Christmas ads before Halloween. It’s really getting ridiculous.

As a society, we have no capacity for anticipation. Everything is NOW! NOW! NOW! We have lost the ability to delay our gratifications.

It’s mostly silly, as in these ads showing up prior to the actual event. But I think it reveals an underlying lack of maturity.

I know I’m not saying anything original; just observing.

nukemhill on February 3, 2014 at 11:25 AM

I thought the most ground-breaking commercial was the first one after the game ended…

Esurance is basically using the $1.5 Million they saved (by paying approximately $3.5M after the game vs. $5M during the game) to lure the Twitterverse into promoting their company… those who tweet their hashtag, or retweet their tweets, get entered into a drawing to win that $1.5M.

Clever, and apparently pretty effective.

I don’t know that I’ve ever seen a company raffle off that much money to a Twitter user who promotes their marketing campaign. And Esurance was wise to use that $1.5M to advertise via twitter, rather than pay for a spot during the game itself.

ITguy on February 3, 2014 at 11:25 AM

TXUS on February 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

I got hit on by Namath back in the early 80′s. Your comment kind of ruins the story, lol. (BTW- Not delusional, I’m guessing most young women who crossed his path in the 80′s got hit on.)

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 11:32 AM

I’m sure someone will write a comprehensive socio-political-economic analysis of the ads. Seems to me one common topic was the 1980s and some 1990s…Full House, Seinfeld, the Radio Shack spot. Could it be that the obamaeconomy is fueling a longing for those greedy, prosperous 80s?

Brat on February 3, 2014 at 11:33 AM

thought the chevy ad with the cow being put out to stud was good….Hello Girls.

DiabloAzure on February 3, 2014 at 11:10 AM

That was a good one, but nit-picky correction: That wasn’t a cow being put out to stud, it was a bull. Bulls are “boys”, cows are “girls”, and together they are “cattle”, not cows.

TXUS on February 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Flashback 2008: Obama Said ‘Undocumented’ Should Be ‘Required’ To Learn English

Jason58 on February 3, 2014 at 11:35 AM

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 11:32 AM

Yeah, it might be easier to list the ones he didn’t hit on, but I’m sure you were (and probably are today) quite hit-worthy. ;-)

Unrelated, but my favorite Namath quote (paraphrasing): “If you’re drunk and it’s almost closing time, the next woman coming through the doors ain’t gonna be Miss America.”

TXUS on February 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

You want better Super Bowl ads? Lower the cost to a more reasonable level so smaller companies can afford to advertise. Then, maybe, there will be a fresher crop of talented people coming up with better ideas. And, by the way, Chrysler might be owned by an Italian company, but the cars are made in the good ol’ USA with an American brand. Crappy as they are.

HiJack on February 3, 2014 at 11:40 AM

dpduq on February 3, 2014 at 11:18 AM

My guess is we don’t give a flying flip but the critics of the Right have to have their talking points.

Cindy Munford on February 3, 2014 at 11:41 AM

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM

Perfectly stated. Winner!

HiJack on February 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM

4 hours of my life that were wasted. The commercials were as boring as the game…

Kuffar on February 3, 2014 at 12:23 PM

My family liked the Doritos Time Machine and The Radio Shack 80′s one.

But, the Cheerios one was our favorite because of two reasons, the look of sass on the little girls face when she wanted a puppy and the look on the Mom’s face when the Dad agreed to the deal – priceless!

I also enjoyed the movie previews for Captain America and Transformers 4. My family loves to go see big action flicks in theaters.

D-fusit on February 3, 2014 at 12:37 PM

Remember when we used…to ignore commercials?

Some of us never stopped ignoring them.

FlameWarrior on February 3, 2014 at 12:49 PM

Only bright spots…..

The Captain America trailer…but oddly, where is the HEART / THE EMOTIONAL CONNECTION for this movie? Great a bunch of violence (which is fine) but so far I’ve not seen any reason to actually CARE about these chracters.

Tebow was okay, Dylan talking about Detroit coming back? give me a break, and that Budweiser / soldier thing seemed a little too…..mmmmm…..marketing oriented. You know Bud if you want to impress then don’t bring a camera crew to the welcome home ceremony with the full parade and everything (and tell the soldier it’s “all for you”).

UGH, worst commercials in years overall.

PappyD61 on February 3, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Did anyone else think Axe body spray’s “Make love, not war” ad was equating Iran, North Korea, and U.S. GIs in Vietnam?

Christien on February 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 10:40 AM
Perfectly stated. Winner!

HiJack on February 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM

THAT commercial was offensive. Apparently America is MEXICO NORTH or something?

Coke, your stomach rotting drink is just one more study from kicking off class action lawsuits against your product.

PappyD61 on February 3, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Seinfeld………..STILL NOT FUNNY after all these decades.

PappyD61 on February 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM

Shout-out to my dad’s cousin in the Pepsi commercial.

Christien on February 3, 2014 at 1:06 PM

I thought both Coke ads were okay. Coke ads are usually inoffensive and friendly, whereas Pepsi (who didn’t seem to have any this year) usually runs obnoxious ads, or ones that pathetically shoot spitballs at Coke. (Ditto with Burger King at McDonald’s). Coke’s “Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade” from 2008 was one of my favorites, along with the Volkswagen “Darth Vader” ad and “So God Made a Farmer” from last year.

bmmg39 on February 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM

I liked the Audi ad. It went on a bit too long, but it sure got my attention. And Sarah McLaughlin was a hoot.

Last week, I was bichin and moaning about Bruno Mars being the entertainment. This week, I may buy his music. He knocked it outa the park. IMO, tied with Prince for the best SB performance.

connertown on February 3, 2014 at 1:22 PM

bmmg39 on February 3, 2014 at 1:09 PM

Pepsi – “Twice In A Lifetime”

Christien on February 3, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Seinfeld………..STILL NOT FUNNY after all these decades.
PappyD61 on February 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM

True dat.

connertown on February 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM

The game – meh. I’m a NY Giants fan.

The Superbowl commercials – meh. The only one I remember was for a car (and I can’t remember which make). Shows a dad keeping his kid from hurting himself through the years, then when the kid is learning to drive he’s checking out some girl and the collision avoidance system stops him from plowing into another car. All I could think of was if he hadn’t saved the kid so many times he would have learned to pay attention to what he was doing.

Best Commercial of the night – While flipping back and forth from the game to The Walking Dead marathon I saw a Nissan commercial, mostorists stuck in a snowstorm with evil-looking snowmen bearing down on them when a Nissan arrives to whisk them out of there. Reminded me of Calvin and Hobbes snowmen creations.

Mitoch55 on February 3, 2014 at 1:37 PM

From Dennis Michael Lynch:

WHY THE COKE COMMERCIAL IS BAD

Had COKE put forward a commercial with children of various ethnicities singing America The Beautiful in English, then I think the reaction to the commercial would have been 110% positive. Most Americans, myself included, embrace the melting pot recipe which results in a country where people of all kinds come together as one. But COKE’s commercial was not about a melting pot. It was about many pots all trying to push it’s way on to one stove.

Coke shoveled 60 seconds of political correctness down the throats of Americans who are doing everything we can to preserve the recipe we love. In short, if you want to legally come to our country, the door is open to you for as long as you learn our language, follow our laws and melt into our pot. But that’s not the message conveyed in COKE’s commercial. COKE’s commercial reminds me of a free falling culture that ignores the law, ignores traditions, ignores the language and forgets that AMERICA cannot remain number one if it changes it’s recipe.

Those who support the commercial will say I am a bigot. They are wrong. I welcome all law-abiding, God fearing people, but I will not agree with an America where English fits in when it’s convenient for the new guy. I don’t want an America where an American cannot find a job unless he or she is bilingual or trilingual. I don’t want an America where immigration laws are overlooked by the bleeding hearts who push a culture filled with open hands reaching for the nearest entitlement. And finally, I do not want an America that agrees to having its songs sung in languages I do not understand. To my detractors, I will not change my voice for the sake of being politically correct. Yes, America is a country of immigrants, and yes I want to hold your hand be it brown, yellow, white or red, but when you speak or sing to me, please do so in English…

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 11:15 AM

That was his wife.

Lost in Jersey on February 3, 2014 at 1:53 PM

I liked the halftime, though.

Hadn’t really seen or heard Bruno Mars before, but I liked his stuff. He reminded me of James Brown or Michael Jackson before he got weird. I may just research him a little more and pick up some of his work.

Red Hot Chili Peppers – WTF?

Mitoch55 on February 3, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Christien on February 3, 2014 at 1:00 PM

No. For the love of God, stop looking for reasons to be outraged and try to be a happy person.

DaveS on February 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Seinfeld………..STILL NOT FUNNY after all these decades.
PappyD61 on February 3, 2014 at 1:04 PM

True dat.

connertown on February 3, 2014 at 1:26 PM

Flange on February 3, 2014 at 2:03 PM

From Dennis Michael Lynch:

WHY THE COKE COMMERCIAL IS BAD

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Please, people, think for yourselves and don’t let other people constantly convince you to be negative, rage-filled, drones.

If any of you take even a second to watch the ad and actually THINK about it while you watch it, you might notice that the parts sung in English are the only parts that are CLEARLY set in America. The others are at least plausibly–often clearly–set in other countries, with people in China, Israel, etc., all singing “America the Beautiful” in their native languages. If you would open your mentally ill minds for a moment, you might notice that and take pride in it instead of whining and looking for attention.

DaveS on February 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Christien on February 3, 2014 at 1:22 PM

Okay. That was a cool departure from the kind of thing I mentioned. Having Carol Channing there adds 58 points.

bmmg39 on February 3, 2014 at 2:12 PM

As a parent with both kids’ eyes glued to the set last night through half time, I was pleased by the LACK of “excitement,” since that seems to be synonymous with objectionable content for kids these days. The only thing we switched the channel over was The Following show previews. Otherwise, it was great to not have to be manically gripping the remote-finger poised every damn second. lol

Bee on February 3, 2014 at 2:16 PM

DaveS on February 3, 2014 at 1:59 PM

Lighten up, Frances.

Christien on February 3, 2014 at 2:34 PM

The commercials largely sucked.

And the Seinfeld commercial reminded me why I hated that show. As annoying as annoying can be.

Sponge on February 3, 2014 at 2:41 PM

DaveS on February 3, 2014 at 2:05 PM

LOL

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 3:44 PM

Outrage? No.

Annoyance? Yes.

WHY THE COKE COMMERCIAL IS BAD

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 1:50 PM

Dennis Michael Lynch’s take is brilliant.
Thank you for posting.

itsnotaboutme on February 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM

And, DaveS, the commercial is meant to make you buy Coca-Cola. You’ve been taken in by an ad.

Fallon on February 3, 2014 at 3:52 PM